FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Poverty in GB

Poverty in GB

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *i 1 Get 1 Free OP   Couple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

Just watching this on ITV, heart wrenching for some that are really suffering, I thank our lucky stars we're not in the same position as some

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"Just watching this on ITV, heart wrenching for some that are really suffering, I thank our lucky stars we're not in the same position as some "

There was a good article in the Guardian about poverty this morning. Only skimmed it but there are fears that the Government's welfare changes could lead to up to 200,000 more people slipping in to poverty.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

wonder if those who said it was the persons fault on my thread yesterday are watching it. its fucking disgusting

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What's the definition of poverty at the mo?

By *onboy777Man  over a year ago

Newark

I can't believe it's Britain in this day and age but I remember the 80's and where we lived

birmingham

A couple on benefit, 20p short for their DD utility bill, charged £15.00 by the bank for a missed DD, WTF!!!

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I would not consider I am living in poverty but its bloody hard work sometimes to live month to month...

birmingham

"What's the definition of poverty at the mo?"

Watch the programme, hopwfully, they'll repeat the part where children are growing up in a home that has black fungus growing up the wall.

By *onboy777Man  over a year ago

Newark

"A couple on benefit, 20p short for their DD utility bill, charged £15.00 by the bank for a missed DD, WTF!!! "

The bank must know there living on the bread line and money goes in on the same day every week/month another situation of the poor getting ripped off

I truly feel for the family's that a struggling. But the country is full of free loading scumbags sitting on there arses on befits watching there full sky package smoking fags and drugs all at our expense

"What's the definition of poverty at the mo?

Watch the programme, hopwfully, they'll repeat the part where children are growing up in a home that has black fungus growing up the wall."

Just a simple question!

just watched it and i have to say i am disgusted that ppl can be living like this in a modern society.governments past and present should hang there heads in shame

By *eady_eddyMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

There is the argument that some people create their own poverty, which I do agree with. However, according to the latest statistics, under this governments spending cuts etc. will affect the poorest 10% dramatically, losing the equivalent of around 38% of their income.

As with the rest of the world there needs to be a fairer distribution of wealth. The benefits system is the vehicle for that fairer distribution within this country and we should be VERY PROUD of it; as much as we are of the NHS. We all contribute towards the benefits the poorest receive. Spending cuts should be paid by the 5% of people who would not miss it.

There will always be people who want to con the system by frauduently claiming benefit, but it is common knowledge that this amounts to one third of the amount of the money that is NOT claimed legitimately. Unfortunately, the people who cheat the system are intelligent. The poorest are usually uneducated and taken advantage of.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

that woman that lived in the damp house was working. you wouldnt have put a pig in there. disgusting

damp growing up the walls, you bleach it, scrub it and it goes away for a few months.

£15 a failed direct debit, i wish! its £25 for my bank.

Making a choice between eating or heating, i always chose heating.

I work 7 days a week to make ends meet.

Life is tough for alot of folk just now, you make do

I am sometimes wish I could live anywhere but here.. However I have lived in the States and I have never seen poverty so bad than there...

"damp growing up the walls, you bleach it, scrub it and it goes away for a few months.

£15 a failed direct debit, i wish! its £25 for my bank.

Making a choice between eating or heating, i always chose heating.

I work 7 days a week to make ends meet.

Life is tough for alot of folk just now, you make do "

Damp is slightly different to mould and condensation... Damp can cause black mould which can make you very ill... Mould you can clean and condenstation.. if your property has damp you need to have treatment which is usually special paint.. and a damp course..

birmingham

"damp growing up the walls, you bleach it, scrub it and it goes away for a few months"

That's not the point, we spend xxx amount on Foreign Aid, charity should start at home.

Would you look after someone else's child before your own?

By *lutandhubbyCouple  over a year ago

west midlands

"damp growing up the walls, you bleach it, scrub it and it goes away for a few months

That's not the point, we spend xxx amount on Foreign Aid, charity should start at home.

Would you look after someone else's child before your own? "

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"damp growing up the walls, you bleach it, scrub it and it goes away for a few months

The money we spend on Foreign Aid is miniscule compared to other government budgets, that money would be like a tiny ripple in a bloody big pond if it was thrown into the general budget.

For sure there's huge inequality in this country and therefore considerable relative poverty - and plenty of hardship.

But the whole 'stop sending money abroad' argument is ignorance, both of actual need and the responsibilities our country has in relation to how we came to be where we are today - which is incredibly fortunate.

I only caught the end of that programme, and perhaps at an unfortunate time when they interviewed an overweight woman and then talked about going hungry, and then showed a young couple struggling by on £1,400 a month.

By *ancs MinxWoman  over a year ago

Burnley

I'm single 31 male, was out of work for 3yrs. I'm lucky i live with my parents. Id love to move out and im laughed at by younger girls for still living at home but im not in debt.

Government says average pay is 26K, I work full time and dont even make 10K for the year, i spent 10yrs in higher education but theres no jobs going around here and can not afford to move. 26K is rich to me.

I hate that i live at home with my parents, renting isnt an option its just money being wasted. I think if you can stay at home for as long as possible do it, just keep saving.

Too bad all these cuts are gonna get worse and worse.

birmingham

"I only caught the end of that programme, and perhaps at an unfortunate time when they interviewed an overweight woman and then talked about going hungry"

Obesity doesn't always = greed

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I didn't see the programme so can't comment on what was shown.

Speaking to those running advice centres they are reporting queues of people with jobs who are in debt to pay-day loans they have taken out to buy food. They estimate that the 'poverty premium' is £1,200 pa. That is the cost to service everyday things like heat and light and banking when you can't get the best rates as you live week to week, month to month.

"I only caught the end of that programme, and perhaps at an unfortunate time when they interviewed an overweight woman and then talked about going hungry

Obesity doesn't always = greed "

So show me a fat person who's actually starving.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I only caught the end of that programme, and perhaps at an unfortunate time when they interviewed an overweight woman and then talked about going hungry

So show me a fat person who's actually starving."

I agree that you are unlikely to see a fat person starving. You may well see one who is not well nourished. Cheap food is fattening and not very nutritious.

So show me a fat person who's actually starving.

I agree that you are unlikely to see a fat person starving. You may well see one who is not well nourished. Cheap food is fattening and not very nutritious. "

Certain cheap foods are fattening. Vegetables are not expensive.

We live in absolute bondage perpetuated by an"intellectual elite"who imagine the herd as incapable of rational .We have become stupefied by the propaganda machine .The t notion that you put a cross on a ballot box every four years is a nonsense this is not a democracy its totalitarism by stealth....one per cent of the population monopolise 40 per cent of the wealth bankers big business eton educated bum boys living in gated residences dictate our lives and allow poverty.Until there is a new democracy with jury like revolving commitees of ordinary people and referendums things will not change

"I didn't see the programme so can't comment on what was shown.

Speaking to those running advice centres they are reporting queues of people with jobs who are in debt to pay-day loans they have taken out to buy food. They estimate that the 'poverty premium' is £1,200 pa. That is the cost to service everyday things like heat and light and banking when you can't get the best rates as you live week to week, month to month.

"

I live month to month... I try to save and often end up eating beans on toast for a bit... I tend not to try and eat fattening processed food and often make veggie curries...

"We live in absolute bondage perpetuated by an"intellectual elite"who imagine the herd as incapable of rational .We have become stupefied by the propaganda machine .The t notion that you put a cross on a ballot box every four years is a nonsense this is not a democracy its totalitarism by stealth....one per cent of the population monopolise 40 per cent of the wealth bankers big business eton educated bum boys living in gated residences dictate our lives and allow poverty.Until there is a new democracy with jury like revolving commitees of ordinary people and referendums things will not change

"

"We live in absolute bondage perpetuated by an"intellectual elite"who imagine the herd as incapable of rational .We have become stupefied by the propaganda machine .The t notion that you put a cross on a ballot box every four years is a nonsense this is not a democracy its totalitarism by stealth....one per cent of the population monopolise 40 per cent of the wealth bankers big business eton educated bum boys living in gated residences dictate our lives and allow poverty.Until there is a new democracy with jury like revolving commitees of ordinary people and referendums things will not change

"

» Add a new message to this topic