FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > electric fencing is it legal

electric fencing is it legal

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have a problem which as me at my wits end my neighbours cats are constantly shitting in garden and have tried all sorts of legal ways to deter them. I put a fence made of chicken wire type and to start helped but other day i chased cat out and thought my eyes were playing tricks as the cat seemed to go right through fence.

I looked at fence and someone has cut out section to allow cats easy access i have idea who it is but am now considering electric fencing the sort used by farmers or those who keep chickens etc which give off shock of approx 1 watt which is enough to give jolt without being dangerous.

If anyone knows whether legally i can do this as unable to confirm one way or other.

I do not like cats at all even more so when they shit in my yard but will not harm any animal illegally but enough is enough and i intend electrifying it if i am allowed.

If anyone can point me in right direction would be appreciated.

To those who may say leave alone unless you have suffered with same problem its easy to criticise.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *coobyroo218Couple  over a year ago

Guernsey

get some lions piss.

sounds stupid I know but it works, cats will not go anywhere near a bigger cats yard so to speak.

You can buy stuff from garden centres I think.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

well i know an old friend of mine had same problem as she didnt like cats and also had young grand kids that played in the garden.

She had wire at top of her fence..and if she saw cat on it..she pressed a switch and it gave em a little shock.

not sure how it worked but wasnt live all time..only when she pressed switch. but eventualy cats came over fence less and less. i not sure wether its legal though or not.

i dunno about electric fencing but mothballs work cats dont like the smell of them, we used to use them for out front shrub patch... couldnt put a fence up.

Just a thought but if theyve damaged your fence, isnt that criminal damage....?

"get some lions piss.

sounds stupid I know but it works, cats will not go anywhere near a bigger cats yard so to speak.

"

I now have visions of someone trying to take a urine sample from a lion

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

You need to check with your local council, as they all have different regulations regarding fencing.

I believe that if the fencing is within your own boundary, and you place warning signs around, then you are ok, but you really should clarify with your local council.

"get some lions piss.

"

Tried it they get used to it.

Thanks funky

I'd be careful about using agricultural fencing as it's designed for cattle which weigh 500kg's and might actually kill a cat!

Yes its legal or farmers would get into a lot of trouble, BUT you have to have notices saying its an electric fence plus the law states cats have a right to roam so its up to YOU not its owner to keep it off your property

"Yes its legal or farmers would get into a lot of trouble, BUT you have to have notices saying its an electric fence plus the law states cats have a right to roam so its up to YOU not its owner to keep it off your property "

It wont kill a cat, its never killed any of mine

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

slightly different issue but my mate was bothered with foxes and her chickens (rural scotland at its finest) and the advice was that her husband should pee anywhere the foxes were aiming to go, as his pheromones would keep them away, and also to pee at fox head height and above so they think its a bigger fox, and the (erm) run down would cover the lower areas. Seems to have worked and no more eaten chickens - he re-waters the area every week (saves a days pee in a carton and pours it) altho when they have a party they do ask the more liberated male guests to pee outdoors at the henhoosie! lol

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Thats the thing with cats....

They dont do it in own back garden!!!

I LOVE my cat!

"Yes its legal or farmers would get into a lot of trouble, BUT you have to have notices saying its an electric fence plus the law states cats have a right to roam so its up to YOU not its owner to keep it off your property "

That's making a huge assumption that the cat can read the signs

"get some lions piss.

I now have visions of someone trying to take a urine stample from a lion "

Imagine if it could be done you would do a roaring trade

Oranges. Extract of oranges.Orange peel

Cats hate it

"i dunno about electric fencing but mothballs work cats dont like the smell of them, we used to use them for out front shrub patch... couldnt put a fence up.

Just a thought but if theyve damaged your fence, isnt that criminal damage....?"

Yes criminal damage but cannot prove its who i think it is yet. The person concerned is bit loopy to put it mildly.

Honestly i have tried alk things suggested but cats get used to it.

Twelve bore shotguns frit the cats And it's 'kin owners... Win win...!!!

"i dunno about electric fencing but mothballs work cats dont like the smell of them, we used to use them for out front shrub patch... couldnt put a fence up.

"

How did you get their little legs open??

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

How did you get their little legs open?? "

I had to think about that one

I have a similar problem. Been thinking of buying an air rifle and staking out my garden SAS style. Is it illegal to shoot if if it's on my land???

How did you get their little legs open??

I had to think about that one "

Can't believe no ones suggested a dog? Ideal solution you gain mans best friend and lose the sneaky cats

"Yes its legal or farmers would get into a lot of trouble, BUT you have to have notices saying its an electric fence plus the law states cats have a right to roam so its up to YOU not its owner to keep it off your property

That's making a huge assumption that the cat can read the signs"

Of course not but thems the rules for having an electric fence anywhere!

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

First of all you will need to check with your home insurance provider to check public liability within a residential area.

Secondly I would make contact with the local council as planning permission may be needed if the electric fencing is in a residential area and is less than 1.8 metres from the ground.

We have electric fencing to the rear of our small industrial unit, but because it has a residential border to one side we had to have a risk assessment visit by our local council as human contact can affect those with pace makers or are epilepsy sufferers.

You might consider other options though, you can get high frequency sound emitters that scare off cats.

"I have a similar problem. Been thinking of buying an air rifle and staking out my garden SAS style. Is it illegal to shoot if if it's on my land???"

Only if its a cat burglar

"Can't believe no ones suggested a dog? Ideal solution you gain mans best friend and lose the sneaky cats"

I think you'll find if your dog ravages a cat then you are responsible for not keeping it under control. Crazy I know but thats the PC we have now hehehehe

"Can't believe no ones suggested a dog? Ideal solution you gain mans best friend and lose the sneaky cats

I think you'll find if your dog ravages a cat then you are responsible for not keeping it under control. Crazy I know but thats the PC we have now hehehehe

"

Cat? What cat.... I didn't see no cat

Ive got a cat so love them. The thought of anyone shooting it for going in their garden is awful. My neighbour doesnt like cats and has said she doesnt want mine in her garden but I said sorry I cant stop her really. Her kids have shouted at her before so she doesnt really go in their garden now to my knowledge but did tell neighbour to feel free to hose my cat or throw water on her, not nice for cat but not as harmful as her older son who is only 8 or 9, telling me he would throw stones at her.!! At which that I told him if he did I would speak to his mum.

By a water pistol then shoot them they will learn not to come on your garden x

"By a water pistol then shoot them they will learn not to come on your garden x "

Works a treat.

Catch said cat put in suitable container , place in car .Drive 50 miles release cat drive home again simples

By *lassic1Man  over a year ago

bellshill

OK folks heard enough.....international rescue has arrived.....go to your garden centre and check if they sell these ornamantal glass globes...about size of a bowling ball.....cats hate thier own reflection (they think its maybe a bigger cat) and will not go near. It works I have done it for years...if you cant get glass globes an empty glass bottle works almost as good.

No pain....no rifles or arms involved(shades of shock and awe ??)...no castration of poor little moths...no need for heavy insulation or rubber gloves(could be kinky though)...sorted.

"Catch said cat put in suitable container , place in car .Drive 50 miles release cat drive home again simples "

Yes yes yes yes. Humane yet decisive. Make sure you claim money back from the owner for diesel though

"Can't believe no ones suggested a dog? Ideal solution you gain mans best friend and lose the sneaky cats"

I have dog but cats shit when i aint around dog chases em out but not being on guard 24/7.

I have tried clear plastic bottles to use the cats reflection but not much help. Enough is enough.

"get some lions piss.

I now have visions of someone trying to take a urine sample from a lion "

That's just taking the piss

Actually there's stuff called Lions roar, which works really well.

Or for an alternative get a super soaker water pistol and use a diluted lemon juice solution

By *bfoxxxMan  over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

"I have a problem which as me at my wits end my neighbours cats are constantly shitting in garden and have tried all sorts of legal ways to deter them. I put a fence made of chicken wire type and to start helped but other day i chased cat out and thought my eyes were playing tricks as the cat seemed to go right through fence.

I looked at fence and someone has cut out section to allow cats easy access i have idea who it is but am now considering electric fencing the sort used by farmers or those who keep chickens etc which give off shock of approx 1 watt which is enough to give jolt without being dangerous.

If anyone knows whether legally i can do this as unable to confirm one way or other.

I do not like cats at all even more so when they shit in my yard but will not harm any uanimal illegally but enough is enough and i intend electrifying it if i am allowed.

If anyone can point me in right direction would be appreciated.

To those who may say leave alone unless you have suffered with same problem its easy to criticise."

Had that problem, get a dog. End of problem. Even goes out in the middle of the night.

Torquay

"I have tried clear plastic bottles to use the cats reflection but not much help. Enough is enough."

Ever thought this is becoming a fixation?

They are only cats.....not tigers or cheetahs.

"I have tried clear plastic bottles to use the cats reflection but not much help. Enough is enough.

You being serious 7 cats constantly crapping in yard you try it then see how you enjoy.

"

Torquay

"I have tried clear plastic bottles to use the cats reflection but not much help. Enough is enough.

You being serious 7 cats constantly crapping in yard you try it then see how you enjoy.

"

You actually COUNT them?

Looks like a fixation building up here....

Sadly yes seven one for each day of week

The person i believe responsible for damage to fence is part of cat protection league so if i can prove she responsible then i can and will do something to sort it. I have grandkids that play in yard and having to constantly clear up beforehand is not nice.

By *lassic1Man  over a year ago

bellshill

You actually COUNT them?

Looks like a fixation building up here.... "

Not wishing to sound too picky but plastic does not reflect like glass does and if you fill glass bottle with water even works better.

You actually COUNT them?

Looks like a fixation building up here.... "

I'm getting the idea you may be a crazy cat lady lol!!!!

Start shitting in your neighbours garden, I'm sure he will find a way to stop the cat shitting in yours then

I hate cats, since we got the pup we never see them thank goodness. Fucking horrible things

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"

go to your garden centre and check if they sell these ornamantal glass globes...about size of a bowling ball.....cats hate thier own reflection (they think its maybe a bigger cat) and will not go near.

"

I tried that once but when I caught the cats putting their lippy on and checking their hair every time they went past I gave it up as a bad job...

Dig a trench on your side of the fence and then put spikes in it pointing up. Cover the trench with realistic looking grass or whatever you've got in the location and when the cats land they'll fall through and impale themselves.

Or leave some food out for them laced with poison.

Or get an archery set and practice on live targets.

Sleep in the garden.

Buy a dog.

» Add a new message to this topic