FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Warren Zevon

Warren Zevon

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *obness OP   Man  over a year ago

york

By any chance does anyone appreciate the late, awesomely great, much disturbed, Warren Zevon?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I do love Werewolves of London, but not sure if I know any other of his songs, and nothing about his life, I feel a youtube/google investigation coming on

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Oh yes, I have a cassette tape of him which my Canadian friend sent to me in the 80's. He was a brilliant artist and collaborated with many big names

york

Go on youtube and find "roland the headless thompson gunner" on letterman. His last ever performance, and they all knew it.

york

Google internet archive warren zevon. Stacks of live bootlegs free. Any concert is a good one.

"Oh yes, I have a cassette tape of him which my Canadian friend sent to me in the 80's. He was a brilliant artist and collaborated with many big names "

Waits for youngster's asking "What's a cassette tape?"

Such a shame countless generations to come will never know the unique relationship between a C60 tape and an HB pencil

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Oh yes, I have a cassette tape of him which my Canadian friend sent to me in the 80's. He was a brilliant artist and collaborated with many big names

Such a shame countless generations to come will never know the unique relationship between a C60 tape and an HB pencil "

They joy of twiddling a pencil.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Oh yes, I have a cassette tape of him which my Canadian friend sent to me in the 80's. He was a brilliant artist and collaborated with many big names

Such a shame countless generations to come will never know the unique relationship between a C60 tape and an HB pencil

They joy of twiddling a pencil."

Nothing like twiddling an entire C120 with a Faber-Castell B2 graphite.

Just think - about 30% of the members of this site won't have a f***ing clue what I am on about....

york

Sadly i know the joys of rewinding a c120 just to find where it twisted over.

Just think - about 30% of the members of this site won't have a f***ing clue what I am on about.... "

Posh git! Faber-Castell indeed!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Just think - about 30% of the members of this site won't have a f***ing clue what I am on about....

Posh git! Faber-Castell indeed! "

I thought that. We were sooooo poor we could only get the Woolworths own brand pencils.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

It is actually a BASF Cr O2 tape and still plays remarkably well considering its age.

I was upper class and used biros

york

Anybody old enough to remember cartridges. 8 track? Used to change track mid song. Once did a 200 mile trip with a guy who had 2. One was so quiet we couldnt hear it. I never want to hear glen campbell greatest hits ever again.

Posh git! Faber-Castell indeed!

I thought that. We were sooooo poor we could only get the Woolworths own brand pencils."

Well, I can't help it if me Mum was Hyacinth Bucket even when it came to my geometry set for school, can I.??????

"Anybody old enough to remember cartridges. 8 track? "

I am almost old enough to remember wax cylinders. 8 Track? Poncey, new fangled stuff, that is!

york

But the young ones will never experience the thrill of buying an lp at dinner time, going home on the bus. Smelling that new vinyl smell. Devouring every word of the dleeve notes. A cd is not the same. An mp3 doenload has no soul!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"But the young ones will never experience the thrill of buying an lp at dinner time, going home on the bus. Smelling that new vinyl smell. Devouring every word of the dleeve notes. A cd is not the same. An mp3 doenload has no soul!"

They still make vinyl you know lol

I made myself a little machine with my Meccano set that rewound cassettes. Geared up so that it didn't take long to rewind a C120 by hand. Eventually fitted a little electric motor so I didn't need to crank it by hand. Worked a treat.

york

"But the young ones will never experience the thrill of buying an lp at dinner time, going home on the bus. Smelling that new vinyl smell. Devouring every word of the dleeve notes. A cd is not the same. An mp3 doenload has no soul!

They still make vinyl you know lol"

. I know, but i have nothing to play it on and i have replaced all the best stuff with cds and legal and ilegal downloads

Warren Zevon...brilliant songwriter and musician...piss poor husband, father and friend..

A Canadian John Martyn perhaps....

Try youtubing "Carmelita".

Thrn listen to the version by a young Spanish girl called Izar Herran...there is something so sweet and innocent about her voice....

She's not a star....but could be..

york

Carmelita is a lovely song. At a pub session i was well and truly hacked off with the very naff things other people were playing, so, I played "Play it all night long". Stunned silence.

I only really listen to vinyl. You can still buy record players, you know! Far deeper, richer and earthy tone. CDs, mp3s etc. are really a weak approximation. I have an ipod but only use it as a distraction for motorway journeys

on the bike.

As for Zevon, I often howl along to Werewolves of London but my favourite is the deliciously sardonic Excitable Boy.

york

There are many amazing songs, roland, carmelita, lawyers guns and money, excitable boy, the hockey song, play it all night long.

"Carmelita is a lovely song. At a pub session i was well and truly hacked off with the very naff things other people were playing, so, I played "Play it all night long". Stunned silence. "

Try the Spanish girls version. It's great.

york

Thanks. I will.

york

"Warren Zevon...brilliant songwriter and musician...piss poor husband, father and friend..

Thrn listen to the version by a young Spanish girl called Izar Herran...there is something so sweet and innocent about her voice....

She's not a star....but could be.."

Thanks for Izar Herran. Definitely a lovely version.

york

"Warren Zevon...brilliant songwriter and musician...piss poor husband, father and friend..

She's not a star....but could be.."

Thanks for Izar Herran. Definitely a lovely version.

By * Jay69Man  over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

[Removed by poster at 28/03/13 21:15:12]

By * Jay69Man  over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

Love 'Poor Poor Pitiful Me', and one that covers most eventualities. 'Send Lawyers, Guns and Money'

Which one had the line 'If you won't hate me I'll find someone who will'

Sadly missed, but a miracle he lasted so long!

Al

Mistakes in the first post...

Keep me in your heart is my funeral song just has I'm going into the flames

» Add a new message to this topic