FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Curries

Curries

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ce Winger OP   Man  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

So, last night I cooked a Beef Buffad from fresh, I have done this several times before and last night's was probably one of my best. However, I attempted to accompany the meal with some homemade onion bhajis which weren't quite as successful

What is your favourite curry or starter? Do you make it yourself and have you been pleased with the results

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Love a chicken bhuna with pakora starter yummy

I make all my own Indian food including breads, bhajis, samosas and chutneys. I lurrrrrve them. Always a huge hit.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I am pretty good even if I say do myself

Starters, mains , breads, side dishes. Can do most of them

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

i only make them if they are sponsored by sharwoods or pattaks

i live a chicken saag wala when i go to an indian but have never attempted to make one.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I have never attempted to make any kind of bread, but will try in the future

I hardly ever do the full from-scratch thing but I don't use jar sauce either - my standard friday night meal is chicken curry, usually boned and skinned thighs, fried with finely chopped onion, garlic, chilli, ginger, good dollop of decent curry paste, some extra turmeric, somtimes a chopped tomato or two then simmered for about three quarters of an hour with some split lentils, bit of coconut cream, maybe some ground almonds, sometimes add spinach too and finished with fresh coriander. Served with persian-style crispy bottomed rice.... mmm roll on Friday!

I love curries but could I be arsed making my own? Could I fuck!

Curry is for stalkers!

"Curry is for stalkers! "

Hahaha!

"Curry is for stalkers!

Hahaha! "

I couldn't resist it...

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

ooohhhh i did make tarkha dahl once and it was yummy

"Curry is for stalkers! "

I can't cook so would not even attempt to cook from scratch. It's take away or restaurant all the way and the hotter the better

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

When i lived in Leicester all my neighbours where asian. Next door to me taught me how to make lots of stuff from scratch. I used to make a mean onion bajai. Its along while since ive done a full indian meal now. I had the shops at the bottom of my street to get all the fresh ingrediants from

In Your Bush

It's all in the prep. After the base has been made you can freeze it then knock any curry up in 10-15 mins.

"When i lived in Leicester all my neighbours where asian. Next door to me taught me how to make lots of stuff from scratch. I used to make a mean onion bajai. Its along while since ive done a full indian meal now. I had the shops at the bottom of my street to get all the fresh ingrediants from"

The Melton road area in Leicester is fantastic for food, there are also some great places near the general hosp on the east park road...

By *asey369Woman  over a year ago

London

My best friend is British born Asian and he has taught me to make lots of traditional dishes. Never attempted breads or bajhis though. I live near Brick Lane, so spoilt for choice for good Indian food

"When i lived in Leicester all my neighbours where asian. Next door to me taught me how to make lots of stuff from scratch. I used to make a mean onion bajai. Its along while since ive done a full indian meal now. I had the shops at the bottom of my street to get all the fresh ingrediants from

The Melton road area in Leicester is fantastic for food, there are also some great places near the general hosp on the east park road..."

I lived just of belgrave road, on the same street where the little shoping centre was. No wonder i put on so much weight living there lol

Did you know that chicken tikka masala isn't actually Indian. It was created in Edinburgh (or Glasgow, I forget which).

"When i lived in Leicester all my neighbours where asian. Next door to me taught me how to make lots of stuff from scratch. I used to make a mean onion bajai. Its along while since ive done a full indian meal now. I had the shops at the bottom of my street to get all the fresh ingrediants from

The Melton road area in Leicester is fantastic for food, there are also some great places near the general hosp on the east park road...

I lived just of belgrave road, on the same street where the little shoping centre was. No wonder i put on so much weight living there lol"

Anywhere near the Indian sweet shop? (i forget the name of it)?

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"When i lived in Leicester all my neighbours where asian. Next door to me taught me how to make lots of stuff from scratch. I used to make a mean onion bajai. Its along while since ive done a full indian meal now. I had the shops at the bottom of my street to get all the fresh ingrediants from"

Onion bhaji party at yours next March then Karen

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Did you know that chicken tikka masala isn't actually Indian. It was created in Edinburgh (or Glasgow, I forget which)."

I thought it was Birmingham

"Did you know that chicken tikka masala isn't actually Indian. It was created in Edinburgh (or Glasgow, I forget which).

I thought it was Birmingham "

That's balti, Solihull I think...

I lived just of belgrave road, on the same street where the little shoping centre was. No wonder i put on so much weight living there lol

"

There are lots but the big one on the corner that did savoury and sweet was Bobbys

[Removed by poster at 27/03/13 17:59:10]

There are lots but the big one on the corner that did savoury and sweet was Bobbys"

That's the one!

That place is fantastic...

"Did you know that chicken tikka masala isn't actually Indian. It was created in Edinburgh (or Glasgow, I forget which)."

Glasgow

I actually don't like curries or indeed any sauce based food.

I do however love spicy food so I tend to go for a tandoori mixed grill, saag aloo, bombay potato, naan and a biryani style rice dish but without the veg curry

I do like most of the starters pakora, bhaji and the like but love prawn puri the most.

I know I don't look it but I'm hungry now

"Did you know that chicken tikka masala isn't actually Indian. It was created in Edinburgh (or Glasgow, I forget which).

Glasgow "

or Birmingham or Newcastle

Glasgow or Birmingham or Newcastle "

Oop north then...

Glasgow or Birmingham or Newcastle

Oop north then... "

yep

By *asey369Woman  over a year ago

London

Aren't curries named after the region in Asia that they derive from?

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I am currently making a thai hot and sour soup from scratch.... yum yum and so healthy...

In Your Bush

"I actually don't like curries or indeed any sauce based food.

I do however love spicy food so I tend to go for a tandoori mixed grill, saag aloo, bombay potato, naan and a biryani style rice dish but without the veg curry

I do like most of the starters pakora, bhaji and the like but love prawn puri the most.

I know I don't look it but I'm hungry now "

If you had a prawn pathia main dish. That is the same as the prawn puri without the bread.

I'm off for one in a minute

In Your Bush

90% ( give or take 10% )of the menu in a typical curry house has no resemblance to anything authentic. It is all adapted for the western taste

90% ( give or take 10% )of the menu in a typical curry house has no resemblance to anything authentic. It is all adapted for the western taste "

That's why I only ever go to Indian restaurant's that are full of Indians...

90% ( give or take 10% )of the menu in a typical curry house has no resemblance to anything authentic. It is all adapted for the western taste "

get fkin madhur jaffrey there

In Your Bush

90% ( give or take 10% )of the menu in a typical curry house has no resemblance to anything authentic. It is all adapted for the western taste

That's why I only ever go to Indian restaurant's that are full of Indians..."

I think the Indian free ones are called Chinese

By *horleytwoCouple  over a year ago

chorley

They have to be in danger of throwing us into an anaphylactic shock or we are not interested, we love anything hot and spicy

I think the Indian free ones are called Chinese"

That's why they never get my vindaloo right!

lamb biriyani with a bowl of raita

In Your Bush

I think the Indian free ones are called Chinese

That's why they never get my vindaloo right! "

I had lessons from the Curry Club founder Pat Chapman and he's bloody English

I cheat as I can't cook for toffee, I use the jars of phal paste and add in a little chilli suace for a bit of extra bite.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"90% ( give or take 10% )of the menu in a typical curry house has no resemblance to anything authentic. It is all adapted for the western taste "

Totally agree, I have worked for many Indian families in the past and some of the food they prepare and offer you is out of this world compared to what you get after a pub crawl with the lads on a Friday night

Just wish I'd learned how to knock up a decent onion bhaji though, mine always turn out too stodgy

In Your Bush

"90% ( give or take 10% )of the menu in a typical curry house has no resemblance to anything authentic. It is all adapted for the western taste

Totally agree, I have worked for many Indian families in the past and some of the food they prepare and offer you is out of this world compared to what you get after a pub crawl with the lads on a Friday night

Just wish I'd learned how to knock up a decent onion bhaji though, mine always turn out too stodgy "

I will sort you out a recipe when I'm back home again. Not done them for a while but got quite a simple method.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

Chicken madras, sag aloo, bhajis and most importantly a garlic chilli keema naan!!

Yumm xx

"90% ( give or take 10% )of the menu in a typical curry house has no resemblance to anything authentic. It is all adapted for the western taste

Just wish I'd learned how to knock up a decent onion bhaji though, mine always turn out too stodgy "

Head over to Leicester on Diwali, I'll take you on a tour, the food on offer is mind blowing...

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I have had lessons from the chefs at what is arguably Devon's best Indian restaurant, I can now make onion bhaji's as good as the professionals.

My most successful main dish is Chicken Tikka Korma.

Can't make the naan like they do in the restaurant though, you need a tandoori oven to carry it off.

These days I leave it to the chefs to make it for me.

I love a nice chicken madras for my main and chicken pakora as a starter

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Chicken madras, sag aloo, bhajis and most importantly a garlic chilli keema naan!!

Yumm xx "

Sounds lovely, but do you make it yourself ?

Try using red onions - they're not as juicy as white and don't make the chickpea flour too moist.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Head over to Leicester on Diwali, I'll take you on a tour, the food on offer is mind blowing..."

Was there about 8 yrs ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Try using red onions - they're not as juicy as white and don't make the chickpea flour too moist. "

Thanks, will give that a go

Being an Asian guy from Singapore... I find the bottled curry sauces sold in departmental stores a rip off to be honest... They don't hit the right spot for me... Prefer cooking curries from scratch...using fresh curry leaves, grind all the spices and frying them on medium hit with the curry powder and chili paste and powder... Adding fresh tomatoes to give it a touch of acidity before putting in the meat...mmmmmmm yum yum... My favorite has got to be mutton/lamb curry with a bowl of cold raita.

Kent

"Chicken madras, sag aloo, bhajis and most importantly a garlic chilli keema naan!!

Yumm xx

Sounds lovely, but do you make it yourself ?"

No!!! I leave that to the professionals and avoid the washing up! Lol x

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"No!!! I leave that to the professionals and avoid the washing up! Lol x "

There really isn't that much washing up, most of the time is spent on preparation

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"My favorite has got to be mutton/lamb curry with a bowl of cold raita."

Ah now, raita, have made that a few times but the missus always makes a better one

Have made a few lamb pasandas in the past which I am yet to perfect

Kent

"No!!! I leave that to the professionals and avoid the washing up! Lol x

There really isn't that much washing up, most of the time is spent on preparation "

Another tricky thing with a 2 year old hanging off my ankles!! Lol x

By *wingsnroundaboutsCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Chicken tika masalla was invented in Glasgow when a jock asked the waiter for some gravy for his chicken tika the chef improvised with tomato soup, cream and spices.

Some curries are named after regions, eg Madras.

Vindaloo is actually a Portuguese dish. Vind meaning wine and Aloo meaning garlic.

Even up in Rusholme we can't really get much authentic food outside of any major events, and there's tons of curry restaurants up there. All made from base sauces for western palates.

Its all about the onion bhajis....

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Its all about the onion bhajis.... "

Maybe we can have a bit of argy bargy sometime

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

All this talk of curries etc and such a shame I can't eat any of them...

I've a serious allergy towards any form of spices, no matter how mild they can be and if I was to unwittingly eat any foods with spices in, I'd be in hospital pretty darn quick!

The last time I ended up in A&E, I was kept in for three days, such was my reaction!

My father always used to say that a curry wasn't genuine unless it was bringing out sweat on his brow for hours!

So, all you curry lovers, enjoy yourselves, you lucky people!

Had a beauty the other night from our local Indian.

Onion Bhaji starter, Lamb Biryani and an excellent Peshawari Naan.

Trace had same starter and Naan but with a tasty Chicken Pasanda and Pilau rice.

XXXX

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"All this talk of curries etc and such a shame I can't eat any of them...

"

Ok Genguy, who's ya favourite Spicegirl

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Had a beauty the other night from our local Indian.

Trace had same starter and Naan but with a tasty Chicken Pasanda and Pilau rice.

XXXX"

I find some onion bhajis are rather bland, many yrs ago I found one restaurant that spiced them up a bit (now sadly closed) and the mushroom bhajis were out of this world

"Had a beauty the other night from our local Indian.

XXXX

I find some onion bhajis are rather bland, many yrs ago I found one restaurant that spiced them up a bit (now sadly closed) and the mushroom bhajis were out of this world "

The best Bhajis we, and many of our friends, have ever had was fro a takeaway called Kismet, now sadly closed.

Unlike other Bhajis we've had, these were like a shredded Bhaji, dry with a slight crispness.

They served them in a brown paper bag, I always bought two bags and ate one on the drive home, delicious!

XXXX

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Unlike other Bhajis we've had, these were like a shredded Bhaji, dry with a slight crispness.

They served them in a brown paper bag, I always bought two bags and ate one on the drive home, delicious!

XXXX"

That's how I like mine, with a drizzle of lemon juice

In Your Bush

"

Vindaloo is actually a Portuguese dish. Vind meaning wine and Aloo meaning garlic. "

Commonly confused as aloo means potato in Indian

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"

Vindaloo is actually a Portuguese dish. Vind meaning wine and Aloo meaning garlic.

Commonly confused as aloo means potato in Indian"

I have mastered saag aloo, lovely

i'd like a warm shilpa shetty drizzled with chili oil please

In Your Bush

"

Commonly confused as aloo means potato in Indian

I have mastered saag aloo, lovely "

How's your muscles?

chicken korma, bombay potato. hungry now and ive had dinner

"Its all about the onion bhajis.... "

eeewwwwwwwww Sorry I cant stand onions

Chicken Tarka , Its like a Bhuna but Otter

South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken is the daddy of curries.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

West Indian curries with roti as made by my own personal chef.

"West Indian curries with roti as made by my own personal chef."

I was taught how to cook Jamaican food from a long term partner who was from Jamaica... he taught me well... x

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"West Indian curries with roti as made by my own personal chef.

I was taught how to cook Jamaican food from a long term partner who was from Jamaica... he taught me well... x"

I'm not really sure how or why I didn't learn. I could make roti as a child but they don't come out as they should now. Thankfully, I am fed well every evening. I might have to request my all time favourite crab curry for my birthday.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"How's your muscles?"

My biceps are ok but ma pecs could do with a bit or toning up

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

*of

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

Not a fan of Indian food but will eat a keema naan and chicken dupiaza.

- Amy. x

Can't stand hot spicy food so not something I would have contemplated before, however given my new years resolution to cook more from scratch and that my son likes curries, I would like to do something just for him

"All this talk of curries etc and such a shame I can't eat any of them...

I've a serious allergy towards any form of spices, no matter how mild they can be and if I was to unwittingly eat any foods with spices in, I'd be in hospital pretty darn quick!

The last time I ended up in A&E, I was kept in for three days, such was my reaction!

My father always used to say that a curry wasn't genuine unless it was bringing out sweat on his brow for hours!

So, all you curry lovers, enjoy yourselves, you lucky people! "

See that to me is not an enjoyable meal if you have to drown it in so much spices, almost like you are trying to give it some taste, if that makes sense, totally illogical

Love curries. The hotter the better for me. Do a mean lamb Bhuna.

I do the rice the traditional way Indian which I prefer. Yum I know it's earlier but getting peckish lol

"So, last night I cooked a Beef Buffad from fresh, I have done this several times before and last night's was probably one of my best. However, I attempted to accompany the meal with some homemade onion bhajis which weren't quite as successful

What is your favourite curry or starter? Do you make it yourself and have you been pleased with the results "

Not a curry but a biryani. My mums though as she is amazing at making it.

Onion bhaji...you need gram flour. As your local continental/Indian shop.

Need any further help on that PM me.

"South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken is the daddy of curries. "

"ooohhhh i did make tarkha dahl once and it was yummy "

I know otters are making a comeback but i'm not sure we should be eating them?

I don't make my own curry pastes (never used sauces), and rely on those from Patak, and my recent discovery, Curry Tree curry pastes.

I would add extra garlic, onion, mushrooms, coriander, and toasted nuts etc...

Usually toast a few spicy poppadoms to go with the curry.

I made a Biryani using Curry Tree's mix for peeps at work, and it was lush!

I would definitely recommend Curry Tree's spice mixes.

I don't mind cooking one from scratch, i also make the chutneys but the breads etc i cheat and buy from the supermarket.

» Add a new message to this topic