FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gary Glitter

Gary Glitter

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman 23 weeks ago

little house on the praire

Anyone else watching? I was seven or eight when I first heard his music and loved it.

I didn't realise he wore a wig.

As an adult watching the programme and what he looks like makes my skin crawl especially the bit with Jimmy Saville.

If only we knew then what we know now.

Makes me suspicious of what could be a lot of innocent individuals

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ools and the brainCouple 23 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

"Anyone else watching? I was seven or eight when I first heard his music and loved it.

As an adult watching the programme and what he looks like makes my skin crawl especially the bit with Jimmy Saville.

Makes me suspicious of what could be a lot of innocent individuals"

Please don't assume all men are the same trust me we are not, unfortunately high profile cases such as this cause all men to be guilty until proved otherwise.

"Anyone else watching? I was seven or eight when I first heard his music and loved it.

Please don't assume all men are the same trust me we are not, unfortunately high profile cases such as this cause all men to be guilty until proved otherwise.

"

Please believe me I don't think all guys are the same. But it does make me give a second thought to some guys in the media.

Maybe we are more astute to once we where

By *offiaCoolWoman 23 weeks ago

Kidsgrove

I am taping it, so not watched it yet.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 23 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I still think a lot of the music was great, Rock n Roll parts 1 and 2 are classics but they are now associated with a very bad person, It’s very unfortunate for the co composers and performers too as it must have impacted them financially, with his music basically being black listed.

By (user no longer on site) 23 weeks ago

"I am taping it, so not watched it yet."

Come on, come on.

Kidsgrove

"I am taping it, so not watched it yet.

Come on, come on."

I will, I will.....

By *zeroMan 23 weeks ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

I clicked on this hoping he was dead.

Gutted.

BRIDPORT

Please believe me I don't think all guys are the same. But it does make me give a second thought to some guys in the media.

Maybe we are more astute to once we where"

I think the likes of Garry Glitter and Max Clifford we’re very polished at the act they played to appear wholesome to the wider public, you can guarantee there are still plenty like them.

By *ommander_StraxMan 23 weeks ago

Telford

Rolf surprised me, but Glitter and yes Saville just... didn't.

But Glitter annoys the shit out of me because, and I'm sorry to say this haha... I really liked Rock and Roll Christmas as well...

He is disgusting. My grandson is eight and very innocent. Couldn't imagine anything happen8ng to him

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman 23 weeks ago

Markfield

What bit of tv land is this on please?

Kidsgrove

"What bit of tv land is this on please? "

ITV I think.

Yet Michael Jackson got away with it.shows what happens when you can afford to pay off people and hire expensive lawyers.biggest paedo there was.

"Yet Michael Jackson got away with it.shows what happens when you can afford to pay off people and hire expensive lawyers.biggest paedo there was."
But we will never know about Michael Jackson. I have my thoughts.

But with Gary glitter we have evidence

By *lex46TV/TS 23 weeks ago

Near Wells

Does anybody want to be in my gang?

"Yet Michael Jackson got away with it.shows what happens when you can afford to pay off people and hire expensive lawyers.biggest paedo there was.But we will never know about Michael Jackson. I have my thoughts.

But with Gary glitter we have evidence"

Michael Jackson's evidence was either destroyed or hushed up.a guy who lived in a massive mansion with loads of bedrooms but would have kids sleeping in same room as him and that didn't raise any concerns.probably sexually abused bubbles the monkey too before macualy caulkin and god knows how many more young boys

By *JB1954Man 23 weeks ago

Reading

My late father was in Stoke Mandeville hospital for about six months. I saw and spoke with Jimmy Saville I think two or three times while visiting.

My late father said there was something he did not like about him. Did not elaborate. Yet staff there did not seem to dislike him . More so praise him. ? Perhaps due to him being, working there?

As for Gary Glitter . His music my era . Yes liked his music. One thing will say . Just before the reports were proved about him. Saw Glitter Band live in home town. My opinion is that they lost out due to yes Gary Glitter being what he did.

The glitter band must have known surely.

Loved the music when I was a kid.

Had no idea what glitter was really like.

By *enNcockCouple 23 weeks ago

Oldham

I worked once as a lighting engineer for them he had spotters picking young girls I spotted it straight away and jacked in told my company what was happening and I asked to be put on another tour

"I still think a lot of the music was great, Rock n Roll parts 1 and 2 are classics but they are now associated with a very bad person, It’s very unfortunate for the co composers and performers too as it must have impacted them financially, with his music basically being black listed. "

Isn’t it just Gary Glitter that’s been cut financially from any royalties or sales?

Also I agree, his music being cancelled is understandable, but there are some great tunes. His Christmas song would be one that would be played on loop along with Wizard and Slade if it wasn’t for his history.

By *xcited And CuriousCouple 23 weeks ago

Dublin

Mr here

Devil's advocate...

Shouldn't his music be separated from his deeds? Can't we still enjoy his music despite knowing of his deeds and agreeing with him facing consequences?

Different but similar - should the children of a murderer live under the shadow of his deeds?

The sexual abuse and exploitation of a child (or any susceptible / vulnerable party unable to protect or defend themselves) is for me one of the worst acts humans are capable of. Glitter, Saville and their ilk can rot to starving and dehydrating to death in a pit as far as I'm concerned.

Slight digression... if the world heads down the path of classifying pedophilia as a legit fetish or just another sexual preference to be understood and accommodated then we're truly fucked as a species.

By *eard and TattsCouple 23 weeks ago

Cwmbran

Gary glitter wrote some fantastic music. I still listen to him and the glitter band

By *alandNitaCouple 23 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"I still think a lot of the music was great, Rock n Roll parts 1 and 2 are classics but they are now associated with a very bad person, It’s very unfortunate for the co composers and performers too as it must have impacted them financially, with his music basically being black listed.

Isn’t it just Gary Glitter that’s been cut financially from any royalties or sales?

Also I agree, his music being cancelled is understandable, but there are some great tunes. His Christmas song would be one that would be played on loop along with Wizard and Slade if it wasn’t for his history. "

There are no royalties for anyone if the songs are not being played.

By *eard and TattsCouple 23 weeks ago

Cwmbran

Gary should of done a rendition of "baby it's cold outside"

Scunthorpe

"Mr here

Devil's advocate...

Shouldn't his music be separated from his deeds? Can't we still enjoy his music despite knowing of his deeds and agreeing with him facing consequences?

Different but similar - should the children of a murderer live under the shadow of his deeds?

"

I agree that the music should be allowed to stand on it's own. It is still as good as it ever was.

"Slight digression... if the world heads down the path of classifying pedophilia as a legit fetish or just another sexual preference to be understood and accommodated then we're truly fucked as a species."

I don't imagine that this could ever be the case. Unlike other sexual deviations, it is not possible for all parties to really consent.

Cal

By *weet LisaTV/TS 23 weeks ago

Crawley

FFS I've got a Gary Glitter song in my head now. Hmppphhh.

By *ustincamebridgeCouple 23 weeks ago

manchester

Some of us did.

Watch some old Top of the Pops and you will realise the programs cameramen invented upskirting. There is an interview with John Lydon (sex pistols) where he exposed what went on.

By *osey WalesMan 23 weeks ago

Surrey

Nobody ever mentions David Bowie dating a 15 year old. Noel Feilding dropping his 15 year old girlfriend off to do her GCSE exams.

By *ustincamebridgeCouple 23 weeks ago

manchester

"I still think a lot of the music was great, Rock n Roll parts 1 and 2 are classics but they are now associated with a very bad person, It’s very unfortunate for the co composers and performers too as it must have impacted them financially, with his music basically being black listed. "

The Glitter band. A bunch of nice guys

By *onameyet2Man 23 weeks ago

chorley

"I still think a lot of the music was great, Rock n Roll parts 1 and 2 are classics but they are now associated with a very bad person, It’s very unfortunate for the co composers and performers too as it must have impacted them financially, with his music basically being black listed.

Also I agree, his music being cancelled is understandable, but there are some great tunes. His Christmas song would be one that would be played on loop along with Wizard and Slade if it wasn’t for his history. "

Has he legally been stopped from receiving royalties, I wouldn’t have thought that would be possible?

chorley

Strange how famous people are singled out for attention but the Catholic Church has been paying millions in fines for child abuse all over the world for years but no one seems to want to shut them down????

By *osey WalesMan 23 weeks ago

Surrey

"Strange how famous people are singled out for attention but the Catholic Church has been paying millions in fines for child abuse all over the world for years but no one seems to want to shut them down????"

This cult has always had too much power

By *ora the explorerWoman 23 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

No. I won’t be watching it. Nor did I watch any of the others.

chorley

"Strange how famous people are singled out for attention but the Catholic Church has been paying millions in fines for child abuse all over the world for years but no one seems to want to shut them down????

This cult has always had too much power "

chorley

"Strange how famous people are singled out for attention but the Catholic Church has been paying millions in fines for child abuse all over the world for years but no one seems to want to shut them down????

This cult has always had too much power "

Kill em all Mr Wales

By *leasureseekers123Couple 23 weeks ago

Heathrow

Also I agree, his music being cancelled is understandable, but there are some great tunes. His Christmas song would be one that would be played on loop along with Wizard and Slade if it wasn’t for his history.

Has he legally been stopped from receiving royalties, I wouldn’t have thought that would be possible?"

No you’re right it’s not possible. Glitter sold his rights to his recordings and publishing a couple of years before his first conviction.

Interesting interview the other day with Zak Starkey and Rob Brydon.

Zak said “GG was the most disingenuous man I’ve ever met. I was in a toilet and he came in with an oxygen mask and canister and was breathing it in and saying I’m the leader, I’m the leader. He used to do this every night before going on stage.”

Zak, who is Ringo Starr’s son was his drummer for a while.

Scunthorpe

"Strange how famous people are singled out for attention but the Catholic Church has been paying millions in fines for child abuse all over the world for years but no one seems to want to shut them down????"

To be fair, they haven't shut down the whole entertainment industry because of Garry Glitter & Jimmy Saville... why should they shut down the whole Catholic Church rather than arrest the small percentage who commit offences?

What the church needs to do is hand any know offenders to the police instead of "dealing with them internally"

Cal

By *orksRockerMan 23 weeks ago

Bradford

To be fair, they haven't shut down the whole entertainment industry because of Garry Glitter & Jimmy Saville... why should they shut down the whole Catholic Church rather than arrest the small percentage who commit offences?

What the church needs to do is hand any know offenders to the police instead of "dealing with them internally"

Cal"

Small % really...??

What they should do is abide by the rule of law and not hide them to save face and allow the those individuals access again and again and again.

And those who cover it, should be accountable to the law too for perverting the course of justice...

There are no royalties for anyone if the songs are not being played."

That’s right. But they do get played and used infrequently.

BRIDPORT

That’s right. But they do get played and used infrequently. "

My original point was, many of these songs have merit and would be played far more frequently if it were not for the association with Glitter, as a result people other than him loose out financially on the recognition of their work.

By *loyd1982Man 23 weeks ago

Twickenham

So when I was really young (about 5 or 6) my parents took me with them to a Gary Glitter concert.

Memories are a bit fuzzy and apparently I slept through the majority but my dad woke me up for the end when he came in on his motorbike. It’s a bit messed up but nobody had the slightest clue back then.

By *owestoft ManMan 23 weeks ago

Lowestoft

It's all so wrong what he and others did/do. Goes without saying it's everyone's responsibility to prevent it from happening. I remember enjoying his music jumping up and down singing along with it lol but I think I'd be jumping up and down on his head if we knew what he was doing.

By *odgerMooreMan 23 weeks ago

Carlisle

"The glitter band must have known surely.

Loved the music when I was a kid.

Had no idea what glitter was really like."

I was a professional musician - admittedly later on but I worked with tons of people - agents, managers, everyone and worked with one agent often and I literally had to sit down when I found out he had been charged with having images on his computer. I felt completely naive and how could I not have known? What signs did I miss? These people are incredibly adept at deceiving people and maintaining a respectable reputation. So to think that band members would have known or suspected… its very very likely they had no idea at all. Its years ago now but I still feel completely betrayed to have my trust and friendship in someone based on a complete lie. I dare say they feel the same.

My original point was, many of these songs have merit and would be played far more frequently if it were not for the association with Glitter, as a result people other than him loose out financially on the recognition of their work. "

I know. We are agreeing on the same point.

By *JandCMCouple 23 weeks ago

cardiff

There are a lot more out there who have had sex with underage girls back in the 70's.

Just look up "Sable Starr" one of a gang of US groupies.

Her n her friend shagged a lot of pop stars when they were around 12 years old.

On the list is Mick Jagger,David Bowie, Elton John, Iggy Pop, Robert Plant n Rod Stewart to name a few, they littered shagged 100's of rock stars.

These girls may have been willing, but they were still under age n well know for it at the time n the ones who shagged them were old enough to know they shouldn't be doing what they did.

It should be made well know what these guys done, but it just seems to be accepted n not brought to light what animals these men were.

By *leasureseekers123Couple 23 weeks ago

Heathrow

"There are a lot more out there who have had sex with underage girls back in the 70's.

On the list is Mick Jagger,David Bowie, Elton John, Iggy Pop, Robert Plant n Rod Stewart to name a few, they littered shagged 100's of rock stars.

These girls may have been willing, but they were still under age n well know for it at the time n the ones who shagged them were old enough to know they shouldn't be doing what they did.

It should be made well know what these guys done, but it just seems to be accepted n not brought to light what animals these men were."

The difference between them and Glitter is not only intent and a particular liking for young girls but also money. Those people are all big names and make a lot of people a lot of money. Glitter was still a name but nowhere near the same league. Completely wrong but that’s how it is I suppose

By *ldgeezermeMan 23 weeks ago

Newcastle

That’s right. But they do get played and used infrequently. "

I wonder if they get played much outside of the UK

By *JandCMCouple 23 weeks ago

cardiff

"There are a lot more out there who have had sex with underage girls back in the 70's.

It should be made well know what these guys done, but it just seems to be accepted n not brought to light what animals these men were."

Maybe if the rock stars I mentioned above were looked into then maybe they could be like Gary Glitter?

Good chance members of the Who shagged some of them n Pete Townshend was found with kiddie porn on his computer n got away with it.

But yes, not (that we know of) anywhere near as bad as Gary Glitter, but still these people should be brought to justice.

It shouldn't be a case of "ok, I fucked a few 12 year oldest n it's not for me" n then let it be forgotten.

Even if these kids were willing to shag older guys when being 12 or 13 doesn't make it OK.

This is in the same league to me as the dirty oldmen going to Bangkok to shag 12 year old girls who are also willing to do it for money.

A pedophile is a pedophile no mater what the situation is as soon as he has sex with someone under age.

By *ldgeezermeMan 23 weeks ago

Newcastle

Wasn't one of the Bay City Rollers done for child porn?

Not to mention Pete "Research" Townsend

By *ugby 123Couple 23 weeks ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I had never known the ins and outs so didn't realise realise the kids were so young. One part of last nights programme was again parents letting their children be with a man alone just because they are famous.

Like others like him, they are good at hiding a lot of things even in that era were we young girls and women were treated more like meat than we are now, but for the people who did notice I always wonder why they didn't open their mouths.

We should all be agreeing though that all child abuse should be stamped on without the whataboutery.

Scunthorpe

Realistically, a huge number of "up and coming" performers in the 50s-70s would have been playing in pretty small venues, and potential groupies had very easy access to the dressing room areas.

It is VERY easy to speculate that there was a lot of sex happening backstage, and that nobody was asking for proof of age. I doubt whether the majority thought/knew that their visitors were that young... makeup can easily make a girl look much older than they are.

By current standards, it is kind of creepy to consider how many songs were about "young" girls, "sweet sixteen" is a common theme and there are umpteen songs mentioning school stuff.

Cal

By *ackandsashaCouple 23 weeks ago

West Dublin

"I clicked on this hoping he was dead.

Gutted."

Same

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Realistically, a huge number of "up and coming" performers in the 50s-70s would have been playing in pretty small venues, and potential groupies had very easy access to the dressing room areas.

It is VERY easy to speculate that there was a lot of sex happening backstage, and that nobody was asking for proof of age. I doubt whether the majority thought/knew that their visitors were that young... makeup can easily make a girl look much older than they are.

By current standards, it is kind of creepy to consider how many songs were about "young" girls, "sweet sixteen" is a common theme and there are umpteen songs mentioning school stuff.

Cal"

Some of the kids were as young as 8.

I wonder if they get played much outside of the UK"

Yes they do, very much so in U.S.A. and it’s because of their ignorance to the history.

By *hil most chillMan 23 weeks ago

London & Europe

I refuse to separate the art from the artist. If an artist turns out to be a scumbag, I no longer want to enjoy their art, it's tainted for me. There are plenty other deserving artists out there so in the case of disgraced musicians I delete all trace of them from my music library and move on.

By *ampWithABrainWoman 23 weeks ago

Glasgow

Gutted."

This is why we’re friends!

By *ampWithABrainWoman 23 weeks ago

Glasgow

"I refuse to separate the art from the artist. If an artist turns out to be a scumbag, I no longer want to enjoy their art, it's tainted for me. There are plenty other deserving artists out there so in the case of disgraced musicians I delete all trace of them from my music library and move on."

Same

Regarding “they may have seemed older” nonsense! No way does a grown ass man think anyone 14 or younger is of consensual age in uk is taking the mick! Of course they knew!

Regarding the parents being lax - these type of offenders operate a certain way, one thing the vast majority of them do is start by grooming the guardians! Gain the trust of the parents etc first and the kids believe 1 these people are trustworthy and after they sadly learn by experience that they aren’t? 2 that nobody will believe them if they disclose (something that all too often is true! Even of police/authorities even now!)

No NAMALT but way too many are and the law and order applied is woefully inadequate! Lock em up, throw away the key! They never change.

By *anky_PankyWoman 23 weeks ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

I wonder if they get played much outside of the UK

Yes they do, very much so in U.S.A. and it’s because of their ignorance to the history. "

Never heard one yet on the radio there (bear in mind I live there more than I do the UK now). Maybe it was just a local station with a dj who was a fan?! Lol

By *panksspankedMan 23 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Yet Michael Jackson got away with it.shows what happens when you can afford to pay off people and hire expensive lawyers.biggest paedo there was.But we will never know about Michael Jackson. I have my thoughts.

But with Gary glitter we have evidence Michael Jackson's evidence was either destroyed or hushed up.a guy who lived in a massive mansion with loads of bedrooms but would have kids sleeping in same room as him and that didn't raise any concerns.probably sexually abused bubbles the monkey too before macualy caulkin and god knows how many more young boys "

Michael Jackson was raised as part of a large family living in a very small house. He shared a bedroom with his five brothers for years. It was simply something he was accustomed to. While this does not excuse anything he may or may not have done in later life it is doubtless a factor

By *omRPMan 23 weeks ago

North Curry

It is a shame that the band and all their support network suffer, the art also suffers. The Lost Profits was one of the best gigs I’ve ever been too. Once Ian Watkins was found out it destroyed all their careers and tarnished the music.

Scunthorpe

"Realistically, a huge number of "up and coming" performers in the 50s-70s would have been playing in pretty small venues, and potential groupies had very easy access to the dressing room areas.

Cal

--------

Some of the kids were as young as 8. "

In Gary Glitter's case yes.

I was making a more general observation about the goings on at that time.

I can immagine that there are many people who were on within the scene back then who are genuinely disturbed to think about who they might have let into their dressing rooms 60+ years ago.

It is also worth considering that many performers were little more than kids themselves when their careers exploded. Lennon & McCartney were both 15 when they started performing seriously, members of the Rolling Stones 16. The Kinks, The who, Beachboys, etc... all had members who were 15/16 when they first started performing.

Scunthorpe

But with Gary glitter we have evidence Michael Jackson's evidence was either destroyed or hushed up.a guy who lived in a massive mansion with loads of bedrooms but would have kids sleeping in same room as him and that didn't raise any concerns.probably sexually abused bubbles the monkey too before macualy caulkin and god knows how many more young boys

Michael Jackson was raised as part of a large family living in a very small house. He shared a bedroom with his five brothers for years. It was simply something he was accustomed to. While this does not excuse anything he may or may not have done in later life it is doubtless a factor "

Michael Jackson was only SIX when he first started performing with the family band. Many of their early gigs were in Strip Bars... it's hardly a surprise that he grew up weird.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 23 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

But with Gary glitter we have evidence Michael Jackson's evidence was either destroyed or hushed up.a guy who lived in a massive mansion with loads of bedrooms but would have kids sleeping in same room as him and that didn't raise any concerns.probably sexually abused bubbles the monkey too before macualy caulkin and god knows how many more young boys

Michael Jackson was raised as part of a large family living in a very small house. He shared a bedroom with his five brothers for years. It was simply something he was accustomed to. While this does not excuse anything he may or may not have done in later life it is doubtless a factor "

And I slept ( meaning slept ) with my brother and my father at different times before I was eleven BUT.....

I've never taken young boys or old men into my bed ...

By *lim and louiseCouple 23 weeks ago

dromore

Yes I agree myself and a lot of others grew up buying his records and watching him on TOTPs

It does make you wonder though if he wasn't a pop star would he go unnoticed in Vietnam as I'm sure there must be a few Europeans there ,or thailand

dromore

Max Clifford what happened to him, did he die, or is he under a stone some where hiding

dromore

True it's a good chrimbo song

chorley

Cal"

It isn’t a small percentage and it’s been going on for ever

Michael Jackson was raised as part of a large family living in a very small house. He shared a bedroom with his five brothers for years. It was simply something he was accustomed to. While this does not excuse anything he may or may not have done in later life it is doubtless a factor

Michael Jackson was only SIX when he first started performing with the family band. Many of their early gigs were in Strip Bars... it's hardly a surprise that he grew up weird. "

He was abused by his family.

'you wannabe my gang'

True story about Gary Glitter..

I used to live near Haslar Marina. One of our neighbours who we are good friends with told us that when she and some other girls were about 14, they'd be invited onto his yacht/small boat to join him and some other men to hang out with. They'd be encouraged to wear bikinis. Glitter and the other men would take photos of the girls and be inappropriate.

She told us this as a young woman a few years later. She said she didn't take it further and report him because she was only young at the time and felt intimidated plus she worried about the impact on her mentally ill mother who she lived with xx

By *ornucopiaMan 23 weeks ago

Bexley

Gutted.

Same "

Same here, but substitute 'assuming'.

The guy has never occupied the smallest corner of my musical attention. I have never knowingly watched or listened to him anyway. I avoid all Christmas songs, so certainly wouldn't have known he had ever made one!

Scunthorpe

Cal

It isn’t a small percentage and it’s been going on for ever "

How do you know it isn't a small percentage?

Anyone who abuses children should be sent to prison, but it's not helpful to just label entire groups of people as pedophiles based on their job... for example do you also want to scrap football teams for kids? that is another area that has generated lots of historic complaints.

By *luebell888Woman 23 weeks ago

Glasgowish

"I worked once as a lighting engineer for them he had spotters picking young girls I spotted it straight away and jacked in told my company what was happening and I asked to be put on another tour "

But did you report this to the police?. Seems that so many knew it was happening but done nothing about it.

By *sleWightCoupleCouple 23 weeks ago

Ryde

[Removed by poster at 25/04/24 09:08:22]

By *sleWightCoupleCouple 23 weeks ago

Ryde

I remember a rather intriguing newspaper article from the late 80s, before it was common knowledge about Glitter's proclivities, one about his tight-knit band of buddies.

It was about the debauched lifestyle they lead together, which included pool-parties, international travel, drugs, drinking, naked saunas and sex was obviously in there, too. Given how close they all were (especially considering the sex parties), it's rather odd that none of them could have been aware that Glitter was a nonce, keeping their mouth shut all these years and protecting him.

This has all the hallmarks of a traded story, one where the publication calls up the subject of an impending headline, and traditionally gives them the opportunity to comment. This often means: "we really want to run this explosive story, our lawyers are rather nervous about legal reprisals, so what juicy scoop can you give us to print instead?" This turns the searing "Gary Glitter Is A Nonce" into the rather laddish "Gary Glitter And Buddies' Debauched Sex Parties".

They even ran a photo of the whole group in towels around a hot-tub, every one of them a household name at the time. One individual was referred to as "Chief Whip" by the rest, owing to the size of his cock. I won't directly say who this particular chart-topping 80s singer was, as he's still alive, but if he knew about Glitter, he should have spoken up a long time ago, but maybe the pressure to stay quite got to him, and he walked away.

In fact, it's definitely a case of "When The Going Gets Tough"...

By *lowupdollTV/TS 23 weeks ago

Herts

Not seen it what’s it about?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I refuse to separate the art from the artist. If an artist turns out to be a scumbag, I no longer want to enjoy their art, it's tainted for me. There are plenty other deserving artists out there so in the case of disgraced musicians I delete all trace of them from my music library and move on.

Same

Regarding “they may have seemed older” nonsense! No way does a grown ass man think anyone 14 or younger is of consensual age in uk is taking the mick! Of course they knew!

Regarding the parents being lax - these type of offenders operate a certain way, one thing the vast majority of them do is start by grooming the guardians! Gain the trust of the parents etc first and the kids believe 1 these people are trustworthy and after they sadly learn by experience that they aren’t? 2 that nobody will believe them if they disclose (something that all too often is true! Even of police/authorities even now!)

"

I can understand all being in the same company, but to let children go off with people on their own is another matter for me. My spidey sensors would have been going in overdrive...I would be asking why do they want to do that and do I fully trust someone 100% enough to let them do it.

So it would have been a no for me, whoever it was.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I was brought up in a small house with a large family and slept in the same bed as three other siblings at one time...but it didn't mean I had someone else's kids in my bed when I was an adult

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Cal

--------

I can immagine that there are many people who were on within the scene back then who are genuinely disturbed to think about who they might have let into their dressing rooms 60+ years ago.

It is also worth considering that many performers were little more than kids themselves when their careers exploded. Lennon & McCartney were both 15 when they started performing seriously, members of the Rolling Stones 16. The Kinks, The who, Beachboys, etc... all had members who were 15/16 when they first started performing."

Yes I agree. When I was 14 I looked well over age with the right make up, so it is hard to tell what age some teens are and the ones who were wanting to be with pop stars well may have lied about their age if needed, things are not always one sided. However some would have known how old or guessed how old these youngsters were and didn't care either way.

By *panksspankedMan 23 weeks ago

Edinburgh

I was brought up in a small house with a large family and slept in the same bed as three other siblings at one time...but it didn't mean I had someone else's kids in my bed when I was an adult "

We all filter our childhood experiences differently. It doesn't seem to have affected the other Jackson stuff siblings in that way too. I do think Michael Jackson was unable to enjoy many of the joys of a simple childhood and this would certainly have had an effect on him.

Scunthorpe

Cal

--------

It is also worth considering that many performers were little more than kids themselves when their careers exploded. Lennon & McCartney were both 15 when they started performing seriously, members of the Rolling Stones 16. The Kinks, The who, Beachboys, etc... all had members who were 15/16 when they first started performing.

Yes I agree. When I was 14 I looked well over age with the right make up, so it is hard to tell what age some teens are and the ones who were wanting to be with pop stars well may have lied about their age if needed, things are not always one sided. However some would have known how old or guessed how old these youngsters were and didn't care either way.

"

There are certainly some who knew... I just think that when we apply the "they were all doing it" logic to the entire entertainment industry, a certain amount of context needs to be considered. There is a huge difference between a 16 year old former Beatle entertaining underage groupies and a 50 year old Gary Glitter doing the same (and much worse).

Cal

By *xx90292Man 23 weeks ago

London

He’s in prison now, bending over taking it up the Gary Glitter..

Scunthorpe

"He’s in prison now, bending over taking it up the Gary Glitter.."

Yes, because old fat octogenarian are generally the focus on the Child Sex Offenders wing

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

We all filter our childhood experiences differently. It doesn't seem to have affected the other Jackson stuff siblings in that way too. I do think Michael Jackson was unable to enjoy many of the joys of a simple childhood and this would certainly have had an effect on him. "

How you "filter" your childhood will never be an excuse to be inappropriate with a child.

» Add a new message to this topic