And what lesson are you adding that wasn’t ever taught

Can be anything even understanding taxes, budgeting etc

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ed MartinMan 23 weeks ago

Shefford

"What one lesson are you consigning to the bin

And what lesson are you adding that wasn’t ever taught

Can be anything even understanding taxes, budgeting etc "

Maths. At least the curriculum version I was taught- it was all completely useless in the real world. Replace it with functional maths as per OP’s original suggestion.

By *asey8686Woman 23 weeks ago

derry

Amen to this, I feel like the whole education system needs changed and brought up to date. I personally think that there’s so much pressure put on young people in exams for things that they are naturally not good at. For example would a mouse do better in a swimming test or a cheese eating test ? Different people are better at different things!

The lesson I would drop - Languages (I fucking hated them, spent 5 years learing French, Spanish, German and Irish only to come out knowing nothing and hating the subject

Add in - first aid and mental health skills

By *elloWoman 23 weeks ago

alpha centauri

Sex education lessons.

I was definitely told that menopause starts at 40, lies, I'm 46 and still waiting for them to stop or at least slow down.

And that video showing putting a condom on a banana is safe sex, lies lies lies.

By (user no longer on site) 23 weeks ago

I’m adding better, more relevant and more positive Black history.

I’m getting rid of when we played Rugby in PE for a term

By *escourtesMan 23 weeks ago

hereford

my school curriculum was...

fags, bikeshed

bikeshed, Fags

By *uri00620Woman 23 weeks ago

Croydon

"Amen to this, I feel like the whole education system needs changed and brought up to date. I personally think that there’s so much pressure put on young people in exams for things that they are naturally not good at. For example would a mouse do better in a swimming test or a cheese eating test ? Different people are better at different things!

The lesson I would drop - Languages (I fucking hated them, spent 5 years learing French, Spanish, German and Irish only to come out knowing nothing and hating the subject

Add in - first aid and mental health skills "

First Aid is covered in many secondary schools now, in mine ALL year groups have compulsory seasons on this, BSL and lots of other skills that often crop up on these kinds of threads. Mental health certainly is, I'd be amazed if it isn't. It features everywhere, assemblies, tutor sessions and PSHE, as well as being referenced in other curriculum areas.

By *uriousscouserWoman 23 weeks ago

Wirral

Drop RE (we were taught by a Christian fundamentalist who told us were were all sinners and would burn in hell - I feel like that's not the most useful info she could've shared).

Replace with critical thinking. So much of my schooling was about cramming information in, rather than about questioning it. I'm happy to have parents who taught me to question and I feel like a lot of the issues of misinformation we're seeing right now could be resolved if more people questioned what they read and what they were told.

By *uri00620Woman 23 weeks ago

Croydon

When at school I'd have 100% said languages. Then after living in a French speaking country I regretted my previous language apathy.

Also CDT. Hated it, and was compulsory at GCSE where I was. I did horribly. Now though, when I pay handymen loads of money to do simple tasks I think maybe I should have paid more attention!

I'd also have said Chemistry bc it's basically witchcraft. Yeah, I kind of still think that

By *naswingdressWoman 23 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'd drop the first bit of sex ed I had (I had it across two schools. The first was just body shaming and slut shaming, with some religious scaremongering about abortion). I'd also drop their Biblical studies and the like.

The later sex ed (how to protect yourself, consent, STIs) and studies of religion (closer to history - belief X is found most in country Y and has ABC tenets etc) - those I'd keep.

I don't know how you'd do it without increasing pre-existing bias, but I'd eliminate classes like art, food tech, wood tech for me; and I'd get people out of history, languages, etc, who do nothing but make farting noises and throwing things at the teacher.

I'd also find a way to teach sport that doesn't make kids hate exercise.

By *naswingdressWoman 23 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Oh, and I'd make history/ civics/ whatever less fucking parochial. Yes yes (country where this is taught) is the best because (whitewashed bullshit). Take three events, one of which is the Second World War, and teach them repeatedly during their entire schooling so children fucking despise them. That'll work great.

» Add a new message to this topic