FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Stealing breakfast from hotels

Stealing breakfast from hotels

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    24 weeks ago

So I see this a lot. Particularly abroad.

People, at hotels. taking food at breakfast that they have no intention of consuming there and then. I am not talking about a banana or a pot of yogurt. It’s more the 18 slices of bread, 16 cheese slices and 13 croissants. Most of the hotels I stay at openly discourage this behaviour and often call people out when they witness it.

You can often spot them as they will bring an extra large bag down just for this purpose.

Thoughts people ? Would you say they are justified in their actions or just plain thief’s.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eiaorganaWoman 24 weeks ago

Dundee

Can honestly say I have never seen this anywhere

By *arla SwingerWoman 24 weeks ago

Somewhere

I don't think it's technically theft? They've paid for the breakfast. Always been the norm to stash a banana or something for later on I think. Never witnessed anyone filling up their pockets with 18 bread rolls though

I'd draw the line at rocking up with a bin bag to get my monies worth I think

By *stwo2023Couple 24 weeks ago

Worcester

"Can honestly say I have never seen this anywhere"

Me either. I've seen some maybe take some bread and ham to make a sandwich to have while they're out and about, especially if the all inclusive hotel there staying out doesn't provide packed lunches for day trippers.

Evie

By *bi HaiveMan 24 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Are they putting sausages and fried eggs in their trouser pockets or just bringing a bag for life and loading it up with mini boxes of kellogs?

If it was an 'all you can eat' buffet I often used to make a sausage sarnie for the drive home, wrap it in a serviette and then pig in for a full breakfast there and then.

I drew the line at filling a thermos from the coffee machine though.

By *alcon77Man 24 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

I've taken a mini bottle of bodywash, that I've half used already, so I assume it will just get thrown anyway.

Breakfast I rarely have at all.

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

I'm taking all the food I can.

I travel abroad five or more times a year, and find this behaviour more prevalent in London hotels than abroad.

I’ve sat at a €50/pp breakfast buffet in a hotel next to people making four and five sandwiches, wrapping them in serviettes, placing them in their bags, and then filling up with multiple plates of hot breakfast foods. They’ve always been men, large in stature, and dining alone. I assumed they did loads of physical activity and simply fancied having plenty of fuel when out and about.

Whilst I’d never dream to do this, I also don’t judge them. To each their own.

Somewhere

To be honest it's the waste that gets me at all inclusives, and buffets. Folk piling their plates high knowing they're not going to consume it all. Although buffets tend to charge for wastage now. Good on em I say!

By *rispyDuckMan 24 weeks ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

I wouldn’t classify it as stealing, more like discovering breakfast

Just like Christopher Columbus discovered America, these folks discovered the breakfast lol

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 24 weeks ago

somewhere

"I've taken a mini bottle of bodywash, that I've half used already, so I assume it will just get thrown anyway.

Breakfast I rarely have at all."

Unless it's attached to the wall, then yes they do x

By *ealitybitesMan 24 weeks ago

Belfast

I watched a very elegantly dressed woman in a Tesco cafe fill 2 plastic bags with all the sugar, salt and sauce sachets. She literally cleaned them out.

15 mins later I saw her getting into a Merc soft top in the carpark.

under the sun & the moon

[Removed by poster at 20/04/24 10:23:05]

under the sun & the moon

"I've taken a mini bottle of bodywash, that I've half used already, so I assume it will just get thrown anyway.

Breakfast I rarely have at all.

Unless it's attached to the wall, then yes they do x"

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 24 weeks ago

somewhere

"I watched a very elegantly dressed woman in a Tesco cafe fill 2 plastic bags with all the sugar, salt and sauce sachets. She literally cleaned them out.

15 mins later I saw her getting into a Merc soft top in the carpark. "

I was at work one evening and the tea and coffee is in a stand for guests, a guy said to his room mate, do we have enough tea bags at work, right in front of me and just grabbed handfuls of tea bags, there must have been about 60 in there and left me with about 25! My rule of thumb now I don't top it up til I'm about to finish and if anyone wants any extra, I'll give them what they need x

By *icecouple561Couple 24 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We see it a lot too. It's laughable watching the doughty matrons and their husbands trying to hide bread rolls in their pockets. God knows what state the food's in after four hours at 35°

By *ssex_tomMan 24 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Some people just take the piss. Tom despises greed in all its forms. These buggers should be stopped at any cost. Tom would happily consent to a bag search

By *inky_couple2020Couple 24 weeks ago

North West

This. We will take a banana or pack of crackers or something to eat later. But I've never seen people piling up hoardes of food. Most hotel breakfasts cost upwards of £12 nowadays, I eat porridge and 2 toast and a cup of tea. I don't like cooked breakfast. I don't get £12 of food by having porridge etc. I don't feel bad by taking a banana or two.

By *ornycougaWoman 24 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

I've never seen people taking more than a banana and a yoghurt but I guess if you are being charged 15 quid you want to get your money's worth. I won't pay for breakfast BTW.

Full disclosure - I don't load up but last time I stayed in a hotel I did take some mini marmites for a forthcoming hike.

By *ildmanYorksMan 24 weeks ago

Doncaster & Bembridge

The park where our holiday home is have owner events throughout the year. At the last one a buffet was provided. There was a group sat near us whe went up and brought back three heavily loaded platefuls each. They only ate a bit off one plate and promptly left the rest. Another group brought four platefuls each and put them straight into doggie bags. There was not much left by the time we and a number of others got there. Several people made complaints about this and requested a fairer serving of food at future events

Chelmsford

Tom would pretty much say this is theft. Would you go into an eat as much as you like buffet restaurant and expect to ask for a doggy bag.. Think restaurants owner would say no.

If the hotelier thinks no to the breakfast buffet then it's plain and simple stealing.

By *red333Man 24 weeks ago

Dorchester

Ive never seen it either most hotels offer takeaway lunches in their deal anyway

By *amantha_JadeWoman 24 weeks ago

Newcastle

I don’t think it’s theft (unless they’re pinching salt and pepper shakers, teapots etc ) but the words I would used are ‘frowned upon’.

I will sometimes take a piece of fruit or a cookie for later. One occasion on holiday my ex-partner was unwell and couldn’t make it down in time for breakfast so I made him a breakfast sandwich, wrapped it in napkins and took it back up to the room. If anyone had seen me they’d probably have thought I was a greedy cow but with context, I think that was a very reasonable thing to do.

By *obilebottomMan 24 weeks ago

All over

The odd banana or apple. Mind you, the amount they charge these days, might as well take the full plate of tortilla (just joking, of course). Though in some of them you will be hard pushed to get tortilla, probably replaced with chips and the like

By *ealMissShadyWoman 24 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

People are greedy and I don't understand the need to have it just because it's there. It's selfish behaviour.

If I stay somewhere and know I have a long journey home I might ask if I can take a few bits with me but nothing more than I need and like I say I always ask...it's never been a problem and asking is always appreciated by the staff

By *alcon43Woman 24 weeks ago

Paisley

I’ve taken few things but only if I’m going to eat them. When I went to Eurodisney I did take a few more things from breakfast for the kids.

By *ittleMissCali_MrDJCouple 24 weeks ago

wonderland.

I often do this when on holiday in Italy. Mostly as I don't want to eat that early.

So I'll make myself a sandwich or take an extra pastry and some fruit for later when I'm feeling more like eating.

I don't count it as stealing and actually the hosts often encourage it.

Cali

By *ansoffateMan 24 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

If you charge me £20 for a self-serve buffet breakfast with powdered scrambled eggs then I'll take a bacon butty and a cinnamon bun to go, if I feel like it. Especially if there's no black pudding that's just slacking.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

We've seen people actually making lunch. Sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, cake etc. Wrapping it in napkins and putting it in their bags.

North West

"We've seen people actually making lunch. Sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, cake etc. Wrapping it in napkins and putting it in their bags. "

Getting their money's worth

By *ittleMissCali_MrDJCouple 24 weeks ago

wonderland.

"We've seen people actually making lunch. Sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, cake etc. Wrapping it in napkins and putting it in their bags. "
I've done that.. although I've normally got a sandwich bag with me too

By *ophieslutTV/TS 24 weeks ago

Central

We had a woman for several weeks who filled several shopping bags with assorted breakfast items - crammed full 3 or 4 large shopping bags, with everything you can imagine . I think it was shared with extended family who stayed nearby, in Cyprus

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"We had a woman for several weeks who filled several shopping bags with assorted breakfast items - crammed full 3 or 4 large shopping bags, with everything you can imagine . I think it was shared with extended family who stayed nearby, in Cyprus "

I guess the hotel or other punters are picking the bill up so as far as she was concerned it didn't matter

By *rHotNottsMan 24 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

When I had little kids and travelled Europe on a tiny budget we did this, one room , the kids often got free breakfasts and we packed up a bit of lunch for the journey or beach

By *he Silver FuxMan 24 weeks ago

Uttoxeter

Most folk do this to some degree, myself included. The worst (or most ballsy depending on your viewpoint) were a couple of Russian pros——ti—toots (sic. Fab restricted word) in my Dubai hotel back in the 90’s who I watched most mornings do a literal arm-sweep of the breakfast buffet into a fucking massive carpet bag.

It’s hard work, they needed the calories.

By *eavilMan 24 weeks ago

Stalybridge

I stayed in a hotel in the Grassmarket area of Edinburgh last year and noticed that the Japanese guests came in at the same time every morning, totally emptied the buffet of rolls, cheese,meat, jams, butter and fruit but never sat down to eat it. After two days of this the hotel placed a "bouncer" at the buffet abd warned them off. It did not go down too well.

By *layfullsamMan 24 weeks ago

Solihull

I always do it if I’m staying at a hotel and give it to anyone sleeping in doorways if I’ve seen any the night before.

We find pinching a few slices of bread the easy bit, squeezing the toaster down your shorts is a bit of a struggle though.

By *uenevereWoman 24 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

Many hotels charge a lot for cheap ingredients.

I have no problem with people taking a small amount for later, but think anything more is cheeky.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone taking loads of food away with them, so I assume it's not a regular occurrence.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"We find pinching a few slices of bread the easy bit, squeezing the toaster down your shorts is a bit of a struggle though."

get bigger shorts

By *he turned me GreyCouple 24 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

"So I see this a lot. Particularly abroad.

People, at hotels. taking food at breakfast that they have no intention of consuming there and then. I am not talking about a banana or a pot of yogurt. It’s more the 18 slices of bread, 16 cheese slices and 13 croissants. Most of the hotels I stay at openly discourage this behaviour and often call people out when they witness it.

You can often spot them as they will bring an extra large bag down just for this purpose.

Thoughts people ? Would you say they are justified in their actions or just plain thief’s. "

None of my business so let them crack on, is it theft if they have paid nope

Mr

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 24 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

I think it's wrong. I'm not saying I wouldn't take extra but I am saying it's wrong.

It's breakfast and all you can eat means filling up at one session. It doesn't mean filling up then taking enough for lunch and your evening meal.

Just enough for breakfast.

By *layfullsamMan 24 weeks ago

Solihull

Bacon left over for crabbing if hotel is on the coast is compulsory and the law

By *iss.ddWoman 24 weeks ago

Leeds + Newcastle

If I'm in a location and will be out all day without easy access to buy food, I'll make a simple sandwich to take for lunch as I'd not be there to eat the 'paid for' lunch anyway but I tend to do all inclusive then travel off to remote, rural areas after breakfast

By *outhDublinMan86Man 24 weeks ago

shankill

Literally do not care what others do.

Somewhere

Most places seem to have wised up to it anyway? You can have as much as you want served to you. Far less chance of someone saying 'I'll have 7 sausages, 3 types of eggs, 9 rashers of bacon, and 13 slices of toast please'

Sagittarius A

I reckon this is just more of the penny-pinching phenomenon that is going on in the workplace.

I here it all the time across most sectors. Employers taking away 'perks' like free food for staff in the catering industry etc. A lazy way to squeeze more profit margin, hotels should put their energy into providing better services to their customers rather than moaning, it would be far more effective.

North West

"I think it's wrong. I'm not saying I wouldn't take extra but I am saying it's wrong.

It's breakfast and all you can eat means filling up at one session. It doesn't mean filling up then taking enough for lunch and your evening meal.

Just enough for breakfast. "

Hotels need to start offering a lesser breakfast option for those of us who can't eat a massive breakfast. My porridge and toast costs the same as the breakfast of someone who has an Olympic breakfast, cereal and three extra rounds of toast. I resent it, especially at hotels where there's no other nearby breakfast option. I took a porridge pot to the Premier Inn I stayed at near Dad's and used the in room kettle to make it up. Unfortunately I've also recently stayed in places that don't include any in room kettle/beverage making. Instead, you have to go down to reception to get the "free" hot drinks. An absolute pain in the arse when you are in a wheelchair and staying on your own. Even more so when the lift to the dining area (where the hot drinks area is), is broken. Yes, you, Tower Bridge Premier Inn Hub!

Chelmsford

"I think it's wrong. I'm not saying I wouldn't take extra but I am saying it's wrong.

Hotels need to start offering a lesser breakfast option for those of us who can't eat a massive breakfast. My porridge and toast costs the same as the breakfast of someone who has an Olympic breakfast, cereal and three extra rounds of toast. I resent it, especially at hotels where there's no other nearby breakfast option. I took a porridge pot to the Premier Inn I stayed at near Dad's and used the in room kettle to make it up. Unfortunately I've also recently stayed in places that don't include any in room kettle/beverage making. Instead, you have to go down to reception to get the "free" hot drinks. An absolute pain in the arse when you are in a wheelchair and staying on your own. Even more so when the lift to the dining area (where the hot drinks area is), is broken. Yes, you, Tower Bridge Premier Inn Hub! "

Many hotels offer a Continental breakfast. Some offer a full breakfast. Some offer room only. If you want to raid the breakfast buffet to eat all day then go full board. To take all the food from the breakfast buffet is theft and being stingy. If your only justification is that it i expensive then you are in the wrong hotel. Stay somewhere cheaper

Chelmsford

Or if a hotel does not cater for your niche breakfast arrangements then go self catering and provide your own

By *he Silver FuxMan 24 weeks ago

Uttoxeter

"Bacon left over for crabbing if hotel is on the coast is compulsory and the law "

What is this ‘left-over bacon’

By *intiemintieWoman 24 weeks ago

Scottish Borders

Boo hiss to the breakfast police fighting crimes against croissants and putting banger burglers to rights. Most of the baked breakfast goods/patisserie on open display/unwrapped and not eaten should be disposed of after service anyway for food hygiene reasons- so if its eaten, there is less waste. Fill your boots so far as im concerned- all im having is a triple espresso, toast and marmalade. If im staying in a hotel then breakfast is the least interesting thing on the menu. lol xx

By *agnar73Man 24 weeks ago

Glasgow

Victimless whatever

Sagittarius A

Hotels need to start offering a lesser breakfast option for those of us who can't eat a massive breakfast. My porridge and toast costs the same as the breakfast of someone who has an Olympic breakfast, cereal and three extra rounds of toast. I resent it, especially at hotels where there's no other nearby breakfast option. I took a porridge pot to the Premier Inn I stayed at near Dad's and used the in room kettle to make it up. Unfortunately I've also recently stayed in places that don't include any in room kettle/beverage making. Instead, you have to go down to reception to get the "free" hot drinks. An absolute pain in the arse when you are in a wheelchair and staying on your own. Even more so when the lift to the dining area (where the hot drinks area is), is broken. Yes, you, Tower Bridge Premier Inn Hub!

Many hotels offer a Continental breakfast. Some offer a full breakfast. Some offer room only. If you want to raid the breakfast buffet to eat all day then go full board. To take all the food from the breakfast buffet is theft and being stingy. If your only justification is that it i expensive then you are in the wrong hotel. Stay somewhere cheaper"

BS if they want to limit what you can eat or that you can only consume it within a certain time and place then say so when you contract, or only provide table service and then they can control the portions.

I'm a guest if I want to eat my breakfast in two sittings, then that's my choice. There will still be people who eat more than me in one sitting. There's also a host of medical reasons why people would choose to do so, not just preference.

Not happy with that, then refund me my money as I'm not satisfied with the service. If it's an expensive hotel I expect to be treated as a guest and not have conform to narrow-minded rules. It's the cheap hotels that may need to watch the pennies in this way.

Why is an 'expensive' hotel providing a buffet breakfast? That's not expensive that's overpriced. Bring me a high quality breakfast to the table and you can have your money gratefully, plus a tip. A tip for the staff that served me by the way - min wage paying zero hour contract, penny-pinching, gouging, arses that they are.

Oh that felt good

Chelmsford

Many hotels offer a Continental breakfast. Some offer a full breakfast. Some offer room only. If you want to raid the breakfast buffet to eat all day then go full board. To take all the food from the breakfast buffet is theft and being stingy. If your only justification is that it i expensive then you are in the wrong hotel. Stay somewhere cheaper

BS if they want to limit what you can eat or that you can only consume it within a certain time and place then say so when you contract, or only provide table service and then they can control the portions.

I'm a guest if I want to eat my breakfast in two sittings, then that's my choice. There will still be people who eat more than me in one sitting. There's also a host of medical reasons why people would choose to do so, not just preference.

Not happy with that, then refund me my money as I'm not satisfied with the service. If it's an expensive hotel I expect to be treated as a guest and not have conform to narrow-minded rules. It's the cheap hotels that may need to watch the pennies in this way.

Why is an 'expensive' hotel providing a buffet breakfast? That's not expensive that's overpriced. Bring me a high quality breakfast to the table and you can have your money gratefully, plus a tip. A tip for the staff that served me by the way - min wage paying zero hour contract, penny-pinching, gouging, arses that they are.

Oh that felt good "

Perhaps try self catering to pander to all of your needs..

Chelmsford

"Victimless whatever "

Nonsense.. this greed puts the price up

Sagittarius A

Oh that felt good

Perhaps try self catering to pander to all of your needs.. "

I can stay at home and do that, but thanks for the offer.

Chelmsford

Oh that felt good

Perhaps try self catering to pander to all of your needs..

I can stay at home and do that, but thanks for the offer."

Perfect solution. Stay at home

By *agnar73Man 24 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Victimless whatever

Nonsense.. this greed puts the price up "

I’ll bear that in mind when I’m in round two

Sagittarius A

"

I can stay at home and do that, but thanks for the offer.

Perfect solution. Stay at home "

Indeed and then I can get a great breakfast from the Cafe with a proper cup of tea for £5. With real eggs, cooked fresh. If I want to take some with me, she even gives me a bag and a smile.

» Add a new message to this topic