FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fa cup replays gone

Fa cup replays gone

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eavenNhell OP   Couple 24 weeks ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Thoughts on the oldest cup competition in the world throwing away 140+ years of tradition by banning replays from the first round proper .

? A competition entered by 700+ clubs yearly ruined at the behest of 6-8 "top" clubs due to fixture congestion all of whom will bugger off to Usa or far east to play lucrative pre and post season freindlys

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

Can be a little harsh to the lower league sides who potentially work hard to force a draw on the road to take a reply back to their home ground.

On the flip side, some of the top teams now playing too many games in the season. However if a really good team shouldn’t need a reply anyway.

By *layfullsamMan 24 weeks ago

Solihull

I think it’ll be overturned and so it should be, I’d also give smaller clubs the option of playing away if they’re drawn at home Vs a bigger side and they fancy a pay day with a guaranteed pot of money..

By *yesgreenMan 24 weeks ago

north and south

"I think it’ll be overturned and so it should be, I’d also give smaller clubs the option of playing away if they’re drawn at home Vs a bigger side and they fancy a pay day with a guaranteed pot of money.."
F A cup should come before European competition , As said above it’s about clubs forcing replays and it’s exciting to watch and stars are found too, Wee clubs are falling to FIFA and the money machine

"Thoughts on the oldest cup competition in the world throwing away 140+ years of tradition by banning replays from the first round proper .

? A competition entered by 700+ clubs yearly ruined at the behest of 6-8 "top" clubs due to fixture congestion all of whom will bugger off to Usa or far east to play lucrative pre and post season freindlys "

First of all good luck tonight.

It seems we all have to cater for the premiership.

Would be better if non-league clubs who draw bigger clubs get to choose whether to play at the bigger grounds to generate more money.

By *glyBettyTV/TS 24 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

Final nail in this cups coffin.

Started 30 odd years ago when they started allowing sponsorship, then scrapped semi-final replays, Manchester United tossing it off one year for that Club World Cup tournament they got embarrassed in, all semi finals being held at Wembley, no replays from round 5, and now this.

Nothing to differentiate it from the Carabao Cup now.

If fixture congestion is a problem they should do what they did in France and permanently scrap the League Cup, and restore the FA cup to what it once was with replays & semi finals at club grounds..

By *inky_couple2020Couple 24 weeks ago

North West

"Thoughts on the oldest cup competition in the world throwing away 140+ years of tradition by banning replays from the first round proper .

? A competition entered by 700+ clubs yearly ruined at the behest of 6-8 "top" clubs due to fixture congestion all of whom will bugger off to Usa or far east to play lucrative pre and post season freindlys

Would be better if non-league clubs who draw bigger clubs get to choose whether to play at the bigger grounds to generate more money."

There's nothing better than dragging a Prem club out to our little ground and watching the big players struggle. Some of my happiest childhood memories are watching Tranmere beat Premier League opposition at Prenton Park. I'd hate for those opportunities to be lost and I fully support our Chair's opinion on the matter.

carrbrook stalybridge

Would be better if non-league clubs who draw bigger clubs get to choose whether to play at the bigger grounds to generate more money.

There's nothing better than dragging a Prem club out to our little ground and watching the big players struggle. Some of my happiest childhood memories are watching Tranmere beat Premier League opposition at Prenton Park. I'd hate for those opportunities to be lost and I fully support our Chair's opinion on the matter. "

just seen his statement fantastic

By *mileyculturebelfastMan 24 weeks ago

belfast

All about the big teams. This could cause a few teams money that could be the difference between staying a club or closing.

carrbrook stalybridge

"Can be a little harsh to the lower league sides who potentially work hard to force a draw on the road to take a reply back to their home ground.

On the flip side, some of the top teams now playing too many games in the season. However if a really good team shouldn’t need a reply anyway. "

and some of the top teams have massive squads some of whom never play more than five or six first team games a season use all that talent you have hoovered uo and are languashing in the under 23 acadamys

North West

"Can be a little harsh to the lower league sides who potentially work hard to force a draw on the road to take a reply back to their home ground.

On the flip side, some of the top teams now playing too many games in the season. However if a really good team shouldn’t need a reply anyway. and some of the top teams have massive squads some of whom never play more than five or six first team games a season use all that talent you have hoovered uo and are languashing in the under 23 acadamys "

This! We've had years where we've struggled to field a First XI plus subs, yet we take part in the same competition.

North West

There's nothing better than dragging a Prem club out to our little ground and watching the big players struggle. Some of my happiest childhood memories are watching Tranmere beat Premier League opposition at Prenton Park. I'd hate for those opportunities to be lost and I fully support our Chair's opinion on the matter. just seen his statement fantastic "

"Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays.

There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes.

The decision, and the way it was taken, demonstrate a total lack of respect for the football pyramid and its fans. Football belongs to all of us and decisions should not be taken in back room deals in which only the very wealthiest clubs are allowed to participate. It is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth.

We condemn the changes wholeheartedly and urge The FA to suspend them immediately until all stakeholders in the game are properly consulted."

By *oeBeansMan 24 weeks ago

Derby

"Final nail in this cups coffin.

Started 30 odd years ago when they started allowing sponsorship, then scrapped semi-final replays, Manchester United tossing it off one year for that Club World Cup tournament they got embarrassed in, all semi finals being held at Wembley, no replays from round 5, and now this.

Nothing to differentiate it from the Carabao Cup now.

If fixture congestion is a problem they should do what they did in France and permanently scrap the League Cup, and restore the FA cup to what it once was with replays & semi finals at club grounds.."

This is a myth about United sacking off the FA Cup. They wanted to enter it but as Champions League winners, the FA wanted them to go to the Club World Cup to give England a better chance of being chosen to host the world cup.

Anyway, I don't see the point of getting rid of replays if it's just one extra game. The revenue smaller clubs can get by having a Prem team visit means a lot and is also a great day out for away supporters. Although the fixture congestion is something that needs addressing as well.

"All about the big teams. This could cause a few teams money that could be the difference between staying a club or closing. "

My team Aldershot played Manchester United a few years back and only had a capacity of 7500 for the game and United still took half of the gate receipts.

By *os19Man 24 weeks ago

Edmonton

Over the years the FA cup has had many changes since my first one in 1977. For many years there was multiple replays and no penalty shootouts , all or most games played on a Saturday at 3.00 pm , semifinals not played at Wembley but a neutral ground.The scrapping of all FA cup replays is just another change which as fans we will have to accept even though we all know it’s about the expanded Champions League and expanded World Club Championship and off course money:

North West

"Over the years the FA cup has had many changes since my first one in 1977. For many years there was multiple replays and no penalty shootouts , all or most games played on a Saturday at 3.00 pm , semifinals not played at Wembley but a neutral ground.The scrapping of all FA cup replays is just another change which as fans we will have to accept even though we all know it’s about the expanded Champions League and expanded World Club Championship and off course money:"

Those prior changes you mentioned impacted all clubs pretty equally. These recent changes, especially with the modern football pyramid which has the finances heavily skewed, only benefits 3% of FA affiliated clubs who participate in the FA Cup. The ones at the very top of the pyramid and who need the FA Cup revenue far less than clubs at the bottom.

By *glyBettyTV/TS 24 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

If the FA had any common sense at all they would say the top 10 clubs in the Premier League no longer have to play in the Carabao Cup. Prem teams usually field weaken sides in the league cup until they get to the semi-final, teams in Europe get byes from the first round, and from next season most clubs in the top 10 will probably be playing in some form of European competition anyway. Why even bother playing in the league cup at all?

Instead they make these changes to the FA Cup, which Premier League and Championship clubs don't compete in until January anyway after half the English sides have already been eliminated from Europe, and the changes adversely affect 75% of the FA Cup participants. It just doesn't make sense.

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS 24 weeks ago

Newquay

I'm old school - it should be like the old days; replays until there is a winner - no penalties

By *os19Man 24 weeks ago

Edmonton

"Over the years the FA cup has had many changes since my first one in 1977. For many years there was multiple replays and no penalty shootouts , all or most games played on a Saturday at 3.00 pm , semifinals not played at Wembley but a neutral ground.The scrapping of all FA cup replays is just another change which as fans we will have to accept even though we all know it’s about the expanded Champions League and expanded World Club Championship and off course money:

Those prior changes you mentioned impacted all clubs pretty equally. These recent changes, especially with the modern football pyramid which has the finances heavily skewed, only benefits 3% of FA affiliated clubs who participate in the FA Cup. The ones at the very top of the pyramid and who need the FA Cup revenue far less than clubs at the bottom. "

. Yes this is about the big 6 getting their way.The problem for the FA is they need the big 6 to keep their sponsors happy.This weekend is the FA cup semifinals and 3 of the 4 teams are part of the big 6

carrbrook stalybridge

"Over the years the FA cup has had many changes since my first one in 1977. For many years there was multiple replays and no penalty shootouts , all or most games played on a Saturday at 3.00 pm , semifinals not played at Wembley but a neutral ground.The scrapping of all FA cup replays is just another change which as fans we will have to accept even though we all know it’s about the expanded Champions League and expanded World Club Championship and off course money:

Those prior changes you mentioned impacted all clubs pretty equally. These recent changes, especially with the modern football pyramid which has the finances heavily skewed, only benefits 3% of FA affiliated clubs who participate in the FA Cup. The ones at the very top of the pyramid and who need the FA Cup revenue far less than clubs at the bottom. . Yes this is about the big 6 getting their way.The problem for the FA is they need the big 6 to keep their sponsors happy.This weekend is the FA cup semifinals and 3 of the 4 teams are part of the big 6"

of the 726 clubs that annualy take part in this competition how many got to vote on these changes ? 20 from the prem thats it no consultation nothing first anyone heard was when the sponsors announced the change sums the whole tawdry mess up all about money

» Add a new message to this topic