FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Occupation

Occupation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *incetom OP   Man 24 weeks ago

Clonmel

I have been asked a couple of times what I work at at the start of a conversation...

Do you think it's of importance or not necessary?

Should it make a difference what you do?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rozac_fairyCouple 24 weeks ago

Tamworth

Depends I suppose.

Do you see the person you're talking to as someone who may develop past being a play partner? If not then no, it's irrelevant information but can make for decent small talk.

By *mber SkiesWoman 24 weeks ago

Cardiff-ish

There trying to find out if your rich

Clonmel

"Depends I suppose.

Do you see the person you're talking to as someone who may develop past being a play partner? If not then no, it's irrelevant information but can make for decent small talk. "

Yea I hear what you're saying, and agree, but have come across individuals who just want to know who you are so they dig for info especially if they're local

By *az123456Man 24 weeks ago

caernarfon

No not at all, what ever peoples occupation its not relevant as long as there is a decent conversation and you get on it shouldnt matter if ur succesfull or not. I take to the person and not to their success or no success ect.

Hope that makes sense.

Clonmel

"There trying to find out if your rich "

They may keep looking so hahaha

By *mber SkiesWoman 24 weeks ago

Cardiff-ish

"There trying to find out if your rich

They may keep looking so hahaha "

Clonmel

"No not at all, what ever peoples occupation its not relevant as long as there is a decent conversation and you get on it shouldnt matter if ur succesfull or not. I take to the person and not to their success or no success ect.

Hope that makes sense. "

absolutely and I would feel the same way...it makes total sense

By *rozac_fairyCouple 24 weeks ago

Tamworth

"Depends I suppose.

Do you see the person you're talking to as someone who may develop past being a play partner? If not then no, it's irrelevant information but can make for decent small talk.

Yea I hear what you're saying, and agree, but have come across individuals who just want to know who you are so they dig for info especially if they're local "

If you feel its purely for digging purposes, it's sounds like that's a person to block honestly.

I mean half my job is on our profile for specify reasons. But if you don't wish to share, don't.

Clonmel

"Depends I suppose.

Yea I hear what you're saying, and agree, but have come across individuals who just want to know who you are so they dig for info especially if they're local

If you feel its purely for digging purposes, it's sounds like that's a person to block honestly.

I mean half my job is on our profile for specify reasons. But if you don't wish to share, don't. "

Good point and I totally agree with you..

By *lderflowerappleWoman 24 weeks ago

Basingstoke

"Depends I suppose.

Do you see the person you're talking to as someone who may develop past being a play partner? If not then no, it's irrelevant information but can make for decent small talk. "

Yeah, I see it as just making conversation. Don't think I've ever read anything else into such an enquiry.

By *ellhungvweMan 24 weeks ago

Cheltenham

It’s just an ice breaker isn’t it? It’s not something I would lead with but if someone wants to use it then I am happy to respond in general terms about what I do.

By *ustincamebridgeCouple 24 weeks ago

manchester

Trying to arrange a meet with a stranger or strangers can be tricky so getting as much info could help especially if you need your car fixing or need work done on your house. Plumber, electrician, decorator,

By *ommander_StraxMan 24 weeks ago

Telford

It’s not important to me personally. I do tell people what I do when asked, or if it fits the conversation. For example, if I worked nights, I think that an important thing to disclose as your times of availability are unusual.

I’m lucky in that I have a lot of holidays… which helps

By *ipstick KissesWoman 24 weeks ago

South Down

"It’s just an ice breaker isn’t it? It’s not something I would lead with but if someone wants to use it then I am happy to respond in general terms about what I do."

This is how I tend to treat it also

By *EAT..85Woman 24 weeks ago

Nottingham

I think occupation can often speak to personality traits, so CAN be revealing/interesting. It's not one of my first questions to ask and I wouldn't name my specific company... But I don't see the harm in it.

Clonmel

I totally get it ..chit chat and if it came up in conversation naturally ,it's OK it's when individuals dig for their personal knowledge so they can gossip..been on the wrong end of that here,

I would never mind getting to know someone and chat about what we do as it's a form of comfort for a person to know you're real and genuine also

By *ust RachelTV/TS 24 weeks ago

Horsham

I find it a good ice breaker, as it gives you something to talk about as you make the person a drink, at the sametime tease the hell out of them by flashing your hold ups/stockings at them.

Clonmel

"I find it a good ice breaker, as it gives you something to talk about as you make the person a drink, at the sametime tease the hell out of them by flashing your hold ups/stockings at them."

By *tephTV67TV/TS 24 weeks ago

Cheshire

On dating apps I give out my occupation but on here it’s not a good idea. However if I was having a social or met someone in a club, then I’d happily discuss my job if the conversation went that way.

Clonmel

"On dating apps I give out my occupation but on here it’s not a good idea. However if I was having a social or met someone in a club, then I’d happily discuss my job if the conversation went that way. "

Yes I would do the same now

By *unchalMan 24 weeks ago

Dartford

"I have been asked a couple of times what I work at at the start of a conversation...

Should it make a difference what you do? "

It’s a very common conversation opening gambit. I usually give people a generic description of what I do. No need to give them any identifying details. No harm done. Just the beginning of some kind of conversation.

By *ean counterMan 24 weeks ago

Kettering

People ask me what I do for a living, I tell them, they still don't know what I do for a living

By *nnCeeWoman 24 weeks ago

East of Eden, West of Hell

I ask sometimes, but not to pry, just to ask "so, what do you do?" Especially if they say they've had a busy week or such.

I don't necessarily want to know the company you work for, or the business address, but if you say, for instance, you're this or that, I'll have something else to chat with you about.

(I'm thinking perhaps my chatting skills are a bit sh*t... but I don't always want to smash straight into "so tell me about your kinks and what you want to do to me" I'd line to jnow you can hold an actually convo)

By *empest2KMan 24 weeks ago

Derby

"I have been asked a couple of times what I work at at the start of a conversation...

I don't think it's important, but if I do get asked, I just tell people I'm a rocket scientist

By *obilebottomMan 24 weeks ago

All over

"Trying to arrange a meet with a stranger or strangers can be tricky so getting as much info could help especially if you need your car fixing or need work done on your house. Plumber, electrician, decorator,

"

Not easy to get people to do those so might as well try whatever you can

By *ad NannaWoman 24 weeks ago

East London

Sewage workers who stink of sewage turning up for a social.

By *ee69Man 24 weeks ago

glasgow

It doesn’t matter to me but I do work shifts so find a lot of folk who are Monday to Friday are never free when I am lol

Clonmel

"Sewage workers who stink of sewage turning up for a social. "

By *ore_Please81Woman 24 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"I think occupation can often speak to personality traits, so CAN be revealing/interesting. It's not one of my first questions to ask and I wouldn't name my specific company... But I don't see the harm in it. "

I agree. It’s not the first thing I ask and don’t always ask, but I often try and guess what someone does in my head and it always interesting to be surprised x

Clonmel

Should it make a difference what you do?

I don't think it's important, but if I do get asked, I just tell people I'm a rocket scientist "

By *obilebottomMan 24 weeks ago

All over

"Sewage workers who stink of sewage turning up for a social. "

If I want to end the conversation, I just say taxidermist and off they go

Clonmel

"I ask sometimes, but not to pry, just to ask "so, what do you do?" Especially if they say they've had a busy week or such.

I don't necessarily want to know the company you work for, or the business address, but if you say, for instance, you're this or that, I'll have something else to chat with you about.

(I'm thinking perhaps my chatting skills are a bit sh*t... but I don't always want to smash straight into "so tell me about your kinks and what you want to do to me" I'd line to jnow you can hold an actually convo)"

Haha I get what you're saying

By *chupforitMan 24 weeks ago

Peterborough

Fighter pilot lol.

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

It sometimes could make a difference to those who think their job makes them feel important.

It’s nice talking to someone who has passion in their work. Whenever I speak to someone who works in social care in some capacity you can always tell when they really wanted to do it, as in, they wanted to make a difference in the world.

I do sometimes ask what people do, it’s normally a nurse or a teacher. I seem to have a thing for teachers or people who work in schools.

By *issmorganWoman 24 weeks ago

Calderdale innit

I don't mind telling people what my job role is, not where I work.

I've had this in a 1st message before "you look familiar, where do you work?". As if I'm telling a randomer on here that info

By *naswingdressWoman 24 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's a habit I've tried to unlearn. It's classic small talk, but I know why people might not want to talk about it in this context.

By *irthandgirthMan 24 weeks ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

I can think of a couple of reasons. Some people may want to find out if a potential play partner is police or military. Some people don't like squaddies, some may not want to meet police, especially if they are into recreational substance use.

Another equally valid one, especially outside of cities, is trying to find out if a potential play partner might know/work with friends or family.

It matters to me if they work, not necessarily what that work is. I don't want to hop in bed with some jobless benefit claimant.

By *melia DominaTV/TS 24 weeks ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

My opener to anyone who asks," I play with sticky labels all day!"

Which is basically true, but I'm an engineer.

Clonmel

"My opener to anyone who asks," I play with sticky labels all day!"

Which is basically true, but I'm an engineer. "

I think whatever questions people ask are their business and you can choose to answer however you like or not at all…

I’m not obliged to tell the truth if someone asked me an obnoxious question online and I don’t know the first thing about them.

I don’t like talking about careers in regular life either, I always think (probably incorrectly) that I’m being judged or that some power balance is being established like at a shitty dinner party where a guy night get introduced as Nigel who works in Nuclear or whatever and people then start to back away slowly because he couldn’t possibly read the guardian! But tbf thats their choice as much as Nigel’s career choice, so horses for courses…

By *uri00620Woman 24 weeks ago

Croydon

"Sewage workers who stink of sewage turning up for a social.

If I want to end the conversation, I just say taxidermist and off they go "

Ooh no I'd find this really interesting and have a ton of questions!!

By *ansoffateMan 24 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Makes no difference to me whatsoever unless you work in one of the red flag professions.

By *he turned me GreyCouple 24 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

Fuck no, I talk to people all day in work at uni, and both are alot of talking, so I just wanna chat shite really....

Mr

By *ophieslutTV/TS 24 weeks ago

Central

Unnecessary, unless it impacts on meeting

"Makes no difference to me whatsoever unless you work in one of the red flag professions."

Train/plane dispatchers? F1 safety car peeps? Matador?

I kinda like to know, some professions are sexy. Some are not.

I'm fickle.

By *layfullsamMan 24 weeks ago

Solihull

Take it as an opportunity to make up a random made up occupation

By *iamondsmiles.Woman 24 weeks ago

little house on the praire

I've never asked anyone their job. It's none of my business. Most just tell you anyway if your interested or not

By *ivemealadybonerWoman 24 weeks ago

somewhere

I get asked all the time what I do for work and when I tell them 99% of them say "can I get discount" how original

I might start saying I'm a pirate and see what they say then.

Usually I don't ask people myself

"I get asked all the time what I do for work and when I tell them 99% of them say "can I get discount" how original

Usually I don't ask people myself "

"Arrrgghhhh"?

By *ornucopiaMan 24 weeks ago

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 19/04/24 23:08:05]

By *ornucopiaMan 24 weeks ago

Bexley

"

I do sometimes ask what people do, it’s normally a nurse or a teacher..."

There's a certain logic there...

Nurses are likely to work shift patterns which could be more convenient to swingers.

Teachers will be available on most days during school holidays.

There is also an outside chance that teachers could be slightly more literate than average and nurses more compassionate!

Warwick and Coventry

"I kinda like to know, some professions are sexy. Some are not.

I'm fickle."

Like gynaecologist

Mr

But you could make it up I'm a underwater welder

By *avexxMan 24 weeks ago

cheshire

I'm fickle.

Like gynaecologist

Mr "

... i do wear scrubs in my job

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 24 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

I found LONNNNNNNNG ago that people are just trying to make conversation and it's generally the first thing that anyone asks when they first meet you ...

I learned to either make things up or change the subject because at first I used to say thinks like ..... why ? What difference does it make ? OR the killer of all killers mind your own business ..... or sometimes .....what's it got to do with you..

I just tell them now... a big fat lie

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 24 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

"I get asked all the time what I do for work and when I tell them 99% of them say "can I get discount" how original

Usually I don't ask people myself "

They would say Arrrgggggghhhhhhh

By *arry monk40Man 24 weeks ago

Telford

If I tell them there jaw drops I only tell trusted regulars

Warwick and Coventry

I'm fickle.

Like gynaecologist

Mr ... i do wear scrubs in my job "

Dental hygienist don't count

Mr

By *ieandteaseMan 24 weeks ago

Wiltshire

"I find it a good ice breaker, as it gives you something to talk about as you make the person a drink, at the sametime tease the hell out of them by flashing your hold ups/stockings at them."

Take your time fixing the drinks as I try to remember, er what was the question?

» Add a new message to this topic