FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gambling Addicts

Gambling Addicts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    24 weeks ago

Have you personally experienced someone close to you with an addiction like this?

What did you do about it, where did it go?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ustBoWoman 24 weeks ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

A long time ago I'd a ex bf who was one. He also was drinking a lot. Him and his mates would gamble on anything. He went from being up thousands to not having a penny regularly. He wouldn't stop doing either even though he would promise to. In the end I realised you cannot help someone who doesn't want to change or help so I walked away from the relationship. This was a long time ago but it taught me a lot and how you just can't help someone who doesn't want to change.

Sorry probably not the answer you were looking for.

By (user no longer on site) 24 weeks ago

I went out with a guy that used to gamble on anything and everything.

Where'd it go? He now travels the world playing in high ranking poker games making thousands. God dam it.

*But don't gamble kids.

By *iss.Bella.Woman 24 weeks ago

North Wales

Yes. And other addictions.

It can be soul destroying. You try your best to support them, you give them space, try to distract them, blame yourself and repeat until one day, you realise it's something they have to face head on for themselves.

You can do all the running in the world but it's no good if the person isn't fully ready to face their demons.

By *icecouple561Couple 24 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes. This was many years ago and there was no help available. I walked away because of the lies, the anger when he lost and the constant concern over money.

Nowadays there's help in various places but unless the person accepts it it's useless.

I'd advise anybody involved with an addict of any kind to protect themselves first. The addict will always choose their addiction until they decide not to

By *ongueandgroove555Couple 24 weeks ago

Waterford

The clue is in the title unfortunately, they are addicts and that is an extremely complex difficult illness that you cannot personally cure. As others have said, until the person realises there is a problem and wants to address it there is nothing you can do.

If you are personally involved in this I would suggest some of the support groups like gamblers anonymous because you need all the support and help.

» Add a new message to this topic