FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Formula 1 - going backwards?

Formula 1 - going backwards?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orthernJay OP   Man 25 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

The overwhelming success of Drive to Survive has undoubtedly put F1 into a global position it’s never enjoyed previously.

As all F1 fans know, success takes years in the making hence why one team/driver usually dominates for a period of time and so on.

That said, is it just me that thinks Max, his attitude to the support, his questionable morals when driving against any kind of competition is taking F1 backwards?

RB’s dominance is clearly engineered by Newey and it’s no coincidence he was a main protagonist the last time ground effect cars dominated the sport; the competition certainly can’t keep up!

I rolled my eyes yesterday when RB/Max we’re so far ahead of the field, you may as well give him this years title and 2025’s now to save the money!

Even Sky F1 has downgraded their coverage with some cock and bull story about utilising technology by repurposing the MNF studio.

Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 25 weeks ago

More or less stopped watching F1 when Senna died.

By *urbo TedMan 25 weeks ago

Stansted

The title of this post gives a great idea for a new aspect. They race backwards

By *ackformore100Man 25 weeks ago

Tin town

"The overwhelming success of Drive to Survive has undoubtedly put F1 into a global position it’s never enjoyed previously.

As all F1 fans know, success takes years in the making hence why one team/driver usually dominates for a period of time and so on.

That said, is it just me that thinks Max, his attitude to the support, his questionable morals when driving against any kind of competition is taking F1 backwards?

RB’s dominance is clearly engineered by Newey and it’s no coincidence he was a main protagonist the last time ground effect cars dominated the sport; the competition certainly can’t keep up!

I rolled my eyes yesterday when RB/Max we’re so far ahead of the field, you may as well give him this years title and 2025’s now to save the money!

Even Sky F1 has downgraded their coverage with some cock and bull story about utilising technology by repurposing the MNF studio.

Thoughts? "

What's mnf studio?

By *ustfulbigboyMan 25 weeks ago

North Wales

"The overwhelming success of Drive to Survive has undoubtedly put F1 into a global position it’s never enjoyed previously.

Thoughts?

What's mnf studio? "

Monday night football, going off sky sports being mentioned that is.

By *arried BifemWoman 25 weeks ago

somewhere in the midlands

Either way, I’m up and watching lol

"The title of this post gives a great idea for a new aspect. They race backwards "

Like a mirror mode on Mario Mario kart.

By *dsmithMan 25 weeks ago

Loudwater

Ffs. I got up at 0550 to watch 90 seconds of racing before a red flag. There must be a better driver out there for that VCARB seat. Danny Ric has had his chance.

If Sky using a MNF style studio to present the F1 keeps my subscription costs down because they’re not flying presenters all over the world then I’m all for it.

Also the MNF style means they’re using Natalie Pinkham more as a presenter, which can only be a good thing.

By *esi_maverickMan 25 weeks ago

Birmingham

Watching it now

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 25 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I’d rather watch a club level saloon car race at Pembrey on a rainy weekend in November than the pretentious gravy train they call Formula 1.

By *loydyMan 25 weeks ago

British

Don't see why they don't all have identical cars

Canary Wharf

"Ffs. I got up at 0550 to watch 90 seconds of racing before a red flag. There must be a better driver out there for that VCARB seat. Danny Ric has had his chance.

If Sky using a MNF style studio to present the F1 keeps my subscription costs down because they’re not flying presenters all over the world then I’m all for it.

Also the MNF style means they’re using Natalie Pinkham more as a presenter, which can only be a good thing. "

Agreed re Pinkham

Canary Wharf

"Don't see why they don't all have identical cars "

You’re humbly missing the point, drivers and the drivers championship is only half of what F1 is; the engineering challenge and constructors is the real championship.

By *sGivesWoodWoman 25 weeks ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I personally think that it's more about who has the most hi tech, fastest car nowadays, not so much skill of the driver. I used to watch F1, not I just find it boring now.

By *ubmissiveman2uMan 25 weeks ago

Cheshire

I used to love watching Mansell Senna Schumacher but F1 is boring now am sad to say....

By *outhDublinMan86Man 25 weeks ago

shankill

The studio is just for the eastern races no? So they don’t have to send all presenters to Japan/Australia and leads into Sky’s climate promises?

BRIDPORT

"I personally think that it's more about who has the most hi tech, fastest car nowadays, not so much skill of the driver. I used to watch F1, not I just find it boring now. "

I get what you are saying but this has always been the case.

Take the introduction of the Lotus 49 at the ‘67 Dutch Grand Prix.

Technically groundbreaking vehicle that qualified on pole (Hill) and then won (Clarke) on its debut, with Clarke never having sat in the car until race weekend.

It then proceeded to dominate the rest of the season.

By *m3232Man 25 weeks ago

maidenhead

"The studio is just for the eastern races no? So they don’t have to send all presenters to Japan/Australia and leads into Sky’s climate promises?"

I hope so as I hate them not being at the race as it feels disconnected from the race.

By *onameyet2Man 25 weeks ago

chorley

Whoever thought tyres could be such a gripping subject?

By *sGivesWoodWoman 25 weeks ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"I personally think that it's more about who has the most hi tech, fastest car nowadays, not so much skill of the driver. I used to watch F1, not I just find it boring now.

Technically groundbreaking vehicle that qualified on pole (Hill) and then won (Clarke) on its debut, with Clarke never having sat in the car until race weekend.

"

I remember the days of James hunt etc, it was definitely more skill back then.

By *ellhungvweMan 25 weeks ago

Cheltenham

I love F1 threads on the interweb. They are always full of people telling you how they stopped watching when Barney Rubble ruined it by putting his feet through the bottom of the car and shouting Yabba Dabba Doo as he crossed the line. Yawn.

If you haven’t watched in 498 years then why are you so vexed by it?

F1 has always been an engineering competition as much as anything else. Newey is rightly considered to be at the pinnacle. The others need to up their game - McLaren showed how you can make big improvements if you do it right. Perez is showing how driver skill (or _relative_ lack of it) is still key.

Canary Wharf

"I love F1 threads on the interweb. They are always full of people telling you how they stopped watching when Barney Rubble ruined it by putting his feet through the bottom of the car and shouting Yabba Dabba Doo as he crossed the line. Yawn.

F1 has always been an engineering competition as much as anything else. Newey is rightly considered to be at the pinnacle. The others need to up their game - McLaren showed how you can make big improvements if you do it right. Perez is showing how driver skill (or _relative_ lack of it) is still key. "

Couldn’t agree more

BRIDPORT

"I personally think that it's more about who has the most hi tech, fastest car nowadays, not so much skill of the driver. I used to watch F1, not I just find it boring now.

I remember the days of James hunt etc, it was definitely more skill back then. "

I think the skill was what I would describe as raw talent type of thing, seat of your pants intuitive skill, back then.

The modern F1 driver has a skill set that is totally different.

Given the choice to rewatch a 60’s or 70’s race or watch a race from this season I would definitely choose the former.

I have always said that to make it more interesting they should add kerbs/ pedestrian crossings/pedestrians. The odd caravan being towed

By *ts the taking part thatMan 25 weeks ago

southampton

Was losing interest year on year since the paywall was introduced but the cheating to give RB its recent first 2 titles has killed it for me.

Cheating isn't winning so stops it being sport.

"I love F1 threads on the interweb. They are always full of people telling you how they stopped watching when Barney Rubble ruined it by putting his feet through the bottom of the car and shouting Yabba Dabba Doo as he crossed the line. Yawn.

F1 has always been an engineering competition as much as anything else. Newey is rightly considered to be at the pinnacle. The others need to up their game - McLaren showed how you can make big improvements if you do it right. Perez is showing how driver skill (or _relative_ lack of it) is still key. "

F1 is simply boring because the cars are becoming more boring and the way they race is becoming more boring.

Cannot deny the calibre of racing driving with the likes of Steve Nichols who designed the MP4/4 that won 15 of 16 grands prix at the hands of Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost in 1988 to anything we have to watch now.

Senna who in my opinion I consider to be the greatest Formula One driver of all time due to his astonishing speed, sharp wit and selfless personality.

The physical, mental and technical challenges the drivers had to deal with was also a lot more demanding. Senna even managed to win races where his car had reliability issues or when he himself was physically unwell. He was what I would call a pure racing driver in every sense.

Barney Rubble is definitely more entertaining to watch than F1 now.

By *urbo TedMan 25 weeks ago

Stansted

"The title of this post gives a great idea for a new aspect. They race backwards

Like a mirror mode on Mario Mario kart. "

Yes just need some red shells and randomly placed banana skins.

By *orny-DJMan 25 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

Thoughts? "

Adrian Neweys F1 career began in 1988, some 6 years after ground effects cars had bern banned, so he couldn't have been the main protagonist when ground effects last dominated the sport

By *ocktoplaywithMan 25 weeks ago

Derby

I enjoy it but agree it needs a bit of something to spice it up. That said, there’s little doubt that Max is the best driver and it would be unfair to penalise him for that.

I think they should start by altering qualifying. Maybe introduce a rule whereby on a dry track, each team has to use all three tyre compounds during qualifying but can only use one compound per session so has to choose which tyre for each session.

By *2000ManMan 25 weeks ago

Worthing

Might watch Monaco but not sat through a race for years.

By *octor ProdMan 25 weeks ago

working Overseas

I haven't watched it in years, its devoid of any real excitement there are no battles the drivers have little or no real personality. MotoGP still has some excitement left; although after a few years of a fairly international grid, its back to being the Spanish and Italian championship

By *eavenNhellCouple 25 weeks ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"I’d rather watch a club level saloon car race at Pembrey on a rainy weekend in November than the pretentious gravy train they call Formula 1. "
this

By *luesfan90Man 25 weeks ago

Midlands

Anyone going to an F1 race this year? I fancy going to one, what’s best to visit?

By *ean counterMan 25 weeks ago

Kettering

It's now so dull and that's from someone who was a regular at Silverstone for the F1 racing! It appears that every time someone tries to overtake another there's a stewards enquiry! It's called racing for a reason. I'm sticking to the bike racing (BSB) where it's much more competitive with

multiple winners / different manufacturers.

By *arkus1812Man 25 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"Anyone going to an F1 race this year? I fancy going to one, what’s best to visit? "

The first Grand Prix I went to was the Belgium G.P. in 1962 at Spa Francorchamps in the Ardenne Forest, this circuit remains my all time favourite and would reccomend to any enthuiast.

By *iss.Bella.Woman 25 weeks ago

North Wales

I stopped watching years ago. Its become just another hyped up, glamourised sport. It's more about preconceived tactics and battles of technology and in my opinion lost the thrill of the actual race.

Shoot me down if you must

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan 25 weeks ago

Gloucestershire

I don't take half as much interest in it as I used to.

If it's not Merc dominating then it's Red Bull. Too many money making races with appalling tracks where you can't overtake and massively overregulated rules stopping aggressive racing.

By *ean counterMan 25 weeks ago

Kettering

"I don't take half as much interest in it as I used to.

If it's not Merc dominating then it's Red Bull. Too many money making races with appalling tracks where you can't overtake and massively overregulated rules stopping aggressive racing.

"

And too many spoilt little brats racing these days!

By *ovingSussexLifeMan 25 weeks ago

West Sussex

I've always loved F1. I feel in love with it when I saw those Lotus JPS back in the 70s, and Capri's on the road.

There's always been periods of dominance in the sport, but back in the day you'd have 2 drivers in the dominant team sharing the spoils. I'm thinking Senna and Prost in the McLaren.

It now seems you have such a dominant driver in the team that it makes it seem more dull. Ie Schumacher, Hamilton, and Verstappen.

I stopped watching as much in the Hamilton years, as I can't stand Mercedes or him.

I'm enjoying watching Max destroy the field, I think he'll be regarded as one of the greats in the future.

Some of the things I dislike are DRS, and the way the drivers have these dumb ass penalties.

I'm a Ferrari fan, and would love to see these doing better. I just hope Hamilton doesn't when he dons the red suit.

IMO the sport went backwards when it went hybrid, I miss the proper sound of an F1 car

Gloucestershire

"I don't take half as much interest in it as I used to.

And too many spoilt little brats racing these days! "

Stroll!

Tin town

"I stopped watching years ago. Its become just another hyped up, glamourised sport. It's more about preconceived tactics and battles of technology and in my opinion lost the thrill of the actual race.

Shoot me down if you must "

Nope I agree. It's just fast billboards with tv coverage. But... Obviously lots are interested in the billionaires playground as the reach goes from strength to strength.

By *reative-mindMan 25 weeks ago

Exeter

NASCAR is all I'm saying

By *itegreensWoman 25 weeks ago

southampton

As long as alonso and sainz are around I’m still into it

By *luesfan90Man 25 weeks ago

Midlands

"Anyone going to an F1 race this year? I fancy going to one, what’s best to visit?

The first Grand Prix I went to was the Belgium G.P. in 1962 at Spa Francorchamps in the Ardenne Forest, this circuit remains my all time favourite and would reccomend to any enthuiast.

"

Many thanks. I’ve heard Spa is very good. I Enjoy watching it on the Tele. How was it for fans?

By *9alMan 25 weeks ago

Bridgend

I think the skill was what I would describe as raw talent type of thing, seat of your pants intuitive skill, back then.

Given the choice to rewatch a 60’s or 70’s race or watch a race from this season I would definitely choose the former. "

I think the commentary has declined, Murry Walker may have sometimes got thigs wrong but his enthusiasm was infectious

BRIDPORT

"NASCAR is all I'm saying "

Ooo, look, they’re making a left turn.

Tin town

Given the choice to rewatch a 60’s or 70’s race or watch a race from this season I would definitely choose the former.

I think the commentary has declined, Murry Walker may have sometimes got thigs wrong but his enthusiasm was infectious

"

Some of his quotes or misquotes are brilliant

"The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical"

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple 25 weeks ago

Southampton

Might actually make it interesting to watch if the raced in reverse!

By *elvet RopeMan 25 weeks ago

by the big field

Thoughts? "

Did you miss the decade where Mercedes pretty much cleared the table?

It’s quite amusing to watch Hamilton struggle now they’ve introduced the budget cap and clipped Mercedes wings. Best driver in history? He’s not even the best driver in Mercedes…he’s pretty much Ringo Starr with more whinging

Tin town

"Might actually make it interesting to watch if the raced in reverse! "

Or... A delivery drivers race... Although has the feel of top gear about it.

Southampton

"Might actually make it interesting to watch if the raced in reverse!

Or... A delivery drivers race... Although has the feel of top gear about it. "

Absolutely

Southampton

Ooh delivery driver Olympics.... who can lob the parcel the highest/furthest, leave in the most obscure place lmao

By *rispyDuckMan 25 weeks ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

Lewis is the best F1 driver of his generation!

Just look at his Battles against, Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Rosberg, Vestappern etc. He can take the fight to the competition when they have equally competitive cars. Max is on his own Perez is not like Rosberg or Button who challenged Lewis back in the day.

I’m not saying I miss the days of Lewis winning, I’m saying I miss competition! Sucks when there is non & it’s a 1 man show

By *itegreensWoman 25 weeks ago

southampton

Lewis actually makes me feel the ick. Something so off with him. I haven’t been watching for long, but it sounds like he’s always had a pretty easy ride with the cats he had

By *ed and WolfieCouple 25 weeks ago

Gravesend

I over the technical aspect of it as much as the drivers. The issue is the regulations are far too restrictive. Now there is a cost cap they should just let the teams get on with it within key parameters. Give them maximum dimensions, a minimum weight, a maximum fuel allowance and let them get in with it.

If one team designs a car with an engine at the front and the back then fantastic. The others don't have to follow.

Right now they are all forced down the same design ethos as the regs are too restricted. As soon as a car is quick, everyone else is effectively forced to copy it.

Look at the comparative freedom in WEC where you have had a mix of petrol, diesel, hybrid, 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive all competing at once!

By *alandNitaCouple 25 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"

I'm a Ferrari fan, and would love to see these doing better. I just hope Hamilton doesn't when he dons the red suit.

IMO the sport went backwards when it went hybrid, I miss the proper sound of an F1 car

"

I don't understand the HATE for Hamilton, nearly all of the criticism pointed at him seems inaccurate (whiney, spoiled, petulant, etc...), the the exact same people WORSHIP Verstappen who displays all of those qualities in spades. By all accounts, Hamilton is the first to pass the credit for his success onto the team, and he's the first to congratulate others.

Whilst I agree about the move to Hybrid changing aspects of the sport, it's also crucial to the sports existence. For F1 to be valuable to the car manufacturers, it needs to be the proving-ground for new technologies that filter down to road cars.

Cal

Gloucestershire

"Lewis actually makes me feel the ick. Something so off with him. I haven’t been watching for long, but it sounds like he’s always had a pretty easy ride with the cats he had "

Not as easy as Max is having

By *arkus1812Man 25 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

In the period between 1967 and 1984 no fewer than 53 different makes of car competed in Formula 1 races.

What was the one thing they all had in common? They were all fitted with the Ford Cosworth 3 litre DFV engine.

Cars fitted with this engine won 155 F1 races, were 2nd in 143 and 3rd in 167.

These were the heady days of F1 no doubts about that, the likes of which we will never see again.

By *xplore_With_MeMan 25 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

Having been to watch the British GP for about the last 6 or 7 years for the full weekend, some of those races and specific battles and race incidents have been well up there and some of the best in recent times.

I am surprised that certain people in this thread say they haven’t watched F1 in years and years but then somehow have the magical ability to comment on current times. Makes no sense.

As much as I dislike Max and Red Bull, it is simply factual he is a brilliant driver. Yes, he is currently driving the best car, but so is Perez and everyone can see his struggles. Max is aggressive in his driving, reckless at times and can be infuriating with how he acts, but he’s an excellent driver.

The two ‘best’ drivers on the grid though in my opinion are Alonso and Hamilton.

A lot of dislike towards LH stems from jealousy, the fact he doesn’t engage on the grid regarding interviews and his ‘American’ persona and lifestyle. That’s my gut instinct and not something I abide with. Seeing him in red next year will be incredible, Ferrari fans and merch are probably 4th in volume at the British GP, behind Mercedes, McLaren and Red Bull. I expect this to change purely based on LH moving to Ferrari.

For me, it’s all about McLaren. If they can challenge in July and Lando wins his first race… I’m saying goodbye Club Corner and getting right on that track!

By *luesfan90Man 23 weeks ago

Midlands

[Removed by poster at 25/04/24 16:24:50]

By *luesfan90Man 23 weeks ago

Midlands

"Anyone going to an F1 race this year? I fancy going to one, what’s best to visit? Fancy a meet up for drink/social? "

Bump

By *reative-mindMan 23 weeks ago

Exeter

"NASCAR is all I'm saying

Ooo, look, they’re making a left turn. "

Somtimes it's a right turn

By *agatoXXXMan 23 weeks ago

A Place Where Time Runs Slow

Interesting developments at red bullshit today, with Adrian Newey leaving, allegedly over the christian horny scandal. He's being courted by Aston, Ferrari & Mercedes, so who will snap up his magic touch?

And will verstappen follow him out the door? Maybe horny will get the boot, to stabilise the ship.

By (user no longer on site) 23 weeks ago

Formula 1 - going backwards -- it would make it more interesting if they drove backwards

By *ornucopiaMan 23 weeks ago

Bexley

"

For F1 to be valuable to the car manufacturers, it needs to be the proving-ground for new technologies that filter down to road cars.

..."

Do Formula one cars have all the stupid bright ideas now incorporated into road cars?

Like having to keep the key in a Faraday pouch to stop it from being cloned (just to start a list).

By *agatoXXXMan 23 weeks ago

A Place Where Time Runs Slow

All the fancy ideas on your road car started off in F1, or other motorsports. Except remote keys. F1 cars don't have keys.

By *ellhungvweMan 23 weeks ago

Cheltenham

Things just got interesting if the rumours about Newey leaving RB are true.

By *orthernJay OP   Man 23 weeks ago

Canary Wharf

Horner is typical of the little head controlling the big head, he may well loose his entire legacy for nothing more than a ‘side bird in the office’; most men give all men a bad name for a reason, we deserve the character assassination sometimes!

As for AN, he’s always said the team in red would be his only choice, let’s see if that’s the case when Aston Martin offer him a blank cheque (because they will) with Stroll and his millions’

By *ornucopiaMan 23 weeks ago

Bexley

"All the fancy ideas on your road car started off in F1, or other motorsports. Except remote keys. F1 cars don't have keys."

Great. Can they keep their fancy ideas where they belong.

No wonder there is less and less space in road cars for shagging in.

My vehicle was actually designed for shagging in (Japanese young people live at home with mum and dad), not for motor racing.

Racing cars don't need electric blinds and seats which fold completely flat!

By *urnedoutniceagainMan 23 weeks ago

louth

I think F1 could take a few ideas from BTCC such as reverse grid starts and having 3 shorter races instead of one long one. Something needs to be done as it’s just become a procession now

By *ature BBW Lover 69Man 23 weeks ago

exeter

Thoughts? "

Just a quick one , what team or driver do you support ?

Rather than slating max and red bull for being let’s be honest by far and away the best team and driver, maybe it would be better to egg the other teams on a bit. It’s not red bulls fault the other teams can’t keep up ! Other teams have been aim the sport much much longer so don’t really have an excuse. It’s up to them to catch up

And just before the hate starts I’m a maclaren fan and always have been, they are catching up as we speak and lando will be world champ at some point if they carry on the way they are going

By *ldgeezermeMan 23 weeks ago

Newcastle

"

I don't understand the HATE for Hamilton, nearly all of the criticism pointed at him seems inaccurate (whiney, spoiled, petulant, etc...), the the exact same people WORSHIP Verstappen who displays all of those qualities in spades. By all accounts, Hamilton is the first to pass the credit for his success onto the team, and he's the first to congratulate others.

Whilst I agree about the move to Hybrid changing aspects of the sport, it's also crucial to the sports existence. For F1 to be valuable to the car manufacturers, it needs to be the proving-ground for new technologies that filter down to road cars.

Cal"

Most LH haters hate him for one reason and one reason alone

By *ocktoplaywithMan 23 weeks ago

Derby

"

Cal

Most LH haters hate him for one reason and one reason alone"

Which is?

By *ocktoplaywithMan 23 weeks ago

Derby

"Rather than slating max and red bull for being let’s be honest by far and away the best team and driver, maybe it would be better to egg the other teams on a bit. It’s not red bulls fault the other teams can’t keep up ! Other teams have been aim the sport much much longer so don’t really have an excuse. It’s up to them to catch up "

Quite agree. They’re all good drivers, well most are anyway, but Hamilton, Sainz, etc all make an occasional costly mistake. Verstappen doesn’t. Hence why he has that very slight edge.

Do F1 cars even have reverse gears?

By *ananas57Couple 23 weeks ago

lake ariel

You should watch Indy Car. All the same chassis’s just two different engines

By *angOnBunnyCouple 23 weeks ago

Ipswich

"It's now so dull and that's from someone who was a regular at Silverstone for the F1 racing! It appears that every time someone tries to overtake another there's a stewards enquiry! It's called racing for a reason. I'm sticking to the bike racing (BSB) where it's much more competitive with

multiple winners / different manufacturers. "

This, we book a trip at Pleasures for Saturday night and then BSB at Brands Hatch on the way home on Sunday . Much more excitement

By *m3232Man 23 weeks ago

maidenhead

"

Cal

Most LH haters hate him for one reason and one reason alone"

And what reason is that.

» Add a new message to this topic