FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What is a sport?

What is a sport?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Is snooker a sport?

Is darts a sport?

Conkers?

Do you need to be out of puff?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *layfullsamMan 26 weeks ago

Solihull

I think it’s when someone wears or shows a particularly distinctive item

“He was sporting a huge handlebar moustache”

Hope this explains it Tom is it not all over the news ?

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple 26 weeks ago

Sunderland

Sport is generally considered a competition of skill that involves physical exertion.

All of those contain a physical element to them. Just a very low level of exersion.

Do E sports fit in? You're thumbs get a workout!

By *olden RatioWoman 26 weeks ago

Buckinghamshire

It's what they sometimes call one another in Australia

By *immyinreadingMan 26 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Is snooker a sport?

Is darts a sport?

Conkers?

Do you need to be out of puff?"

Does it matter?

By *ot to giggleWoman 26 weeks ago

Coventry

well curling, bowls - they're classed as sports and other than the ice sweeping they dont seem to get out of puff!

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"I think it’s when someone wears or shows a particularly distinctive item

Hope this explains it Tom is it not all over the news ? "

A blooming lovely explanation thank you

By *oinerbillMan 26 weeks ago

warrington

Im getting ready for the flack as i write but...

How can F1 be classed as a sport? Yes the drivers are very fit, and their bodies go through alot etc - but its all about the car. 2 equal drivers and the best car will win

If everyone is not starting equal then it cant be classed as sport

henley on thames

"Im getting ready for the flack as i write but...

How can F1 be classed as a sport? Yes the drivers are very fit, and their bodies go through alot etc - but its all about the car. 2 equal drivers and the best car will win

If everyone is not starting equal then it cant be classed as sport"

The entire point of F1 is that it is a competition for constrictors, the challenge being to produce the best car given certain restrictions.

Horse racing is a sport too, and the horses don’t all go the same slows, do they?

warrington

The entire point of F1 is that it is a competition for constrictors, the challenge being to produce the best car given certain restrictions.

Horse racing is a sport too, and the horses don’t all go the same slows, do they? "

did i say horse riding was a sport? Again the jockeys are very fit, but are the horses not handicaped in some races

My point is regarding F1, 2 guys the same fitness - the best car will win

Sport is pitting yourself against another on a equal playing field

By *ercuryMan 26 weeks ago

Grantham

If you can do it with a cigarette in your mouth, then it's a game.

Otherwise, it's a sport.

By *eordieJeansCouple 26 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Pissing on people… or so I’m told.

By *entlemanrogueMan 26 weeks ago

Motherwell

"If you can do it with a cigarette in your mouth, then it's a game.

Otherwise, it's a sport."

withbthe exception of water wports (calm down everyone i mean swimming etc) you can do almost any sport with a cigarette in your mouth. it may hamper your ability though.

henley on thames

Horse racing is a sport too, and the horses don’t all go the same slows, do they?

did i say horse riding was a sport? Again the jockeys are very fit, but are the horses not handicaped in some races

"

You are welcome to your own definition of sport, where everyone has the same equipment and same chance, but tons of sports don’t fit that view.

Developing the best possible equipment to give a team / competitor an advantage is very common.

Yes, horse racing is a sport. So is sailing in the America’s cup, where technical innovation is central to a team’s chances of winning.

henley on thames

"If you can do it with a cigarette in your mouth, then it's a game.

Otherwise, it's a sport."

Strange definition. You can cycle a bike with a cigarette in your mouth, so cycling isn’t a sport? Ever see them drinking glasses of champagne while they are cycling in TDF?

I never understand why people get worked up about what is / isn’t a sport. It really doesn’t matter

By *stwo2023Couple 26 weeks ago

Worcester

If everyone is not starting equal then it cant be classed as sport"

Pretty sure it takes a lot of strategy and gumption to win though. I'm sure if I were to drive and F1 car I wouldn't be wield champion

Evie

henley on thames

Pretty sure it takes a lot of strategy and gumption to win though. I'm sure if I were to drive and F1 car I wouldn't be wield champion

Evie "

True. A friend of mine has driven f1 cars (his family worked in the industry), and he reckoned the average driver wouldn’t complete one lap in an F1 car.

The level of skill is phenomenal.

I once did a few miles in a rally car with an experienced driver, and simply could not believe what he was able to get the car to do. He then told me he was taking it easy, about 6 out of 10.

By *ellhungvweMan 26 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"

By that definition cycling is not a sport as the bike a professional rides can be critical.

In reality _any_ competition that involves the use of equipment is likely to fail your test.

By *antastic_Mr_Fox_76Man 26 weeks ago

District 13

Regardless of the activity “sport” is something an individual or team can win at.

Not come second or third but win aka come first if you’re not first you’re last

henley on thames

By that definition cycling is not a sport as the bike a professional rides can be critical.

In reality _any_ competition that involves the use of equipment is likely to fail your test."

Completely agree. In many sports, technical innovation is key to success. F1 is a clear example, cycling is too, and some forms of sailing. I also stand by the view that horse racing is a sport (“the sport of kings”, apparently), and that some horses are faster than others

By *layfullsamMan 26 weeks ago

Solihull

"I think it’s when someone wears or shows a particularly distinctive item

Hope this explains it Tom is it not all over the news ?

A blooming lovely explanation thank you "

My pleasure Tom

warrington

In reality _any_ competition that involves the use of equipment is likely to fail your test."

TBH alot do yes

For me the pinacle of sport is the olympics. What these guys go through to get to even compete is amazing

F1 will never be a sport for me, its a manufacturers competition as someone said

Snooker, darts - pub games

Wont be long before people class 3 card brag and dominoes as sport

henley on thames

In reality _any_ competition that involves the use of equipment is likely to fail your test.

TBH alot do yes

For me the pinacle of sport is the olympics. What these guys go through to get to even compete is amazing

F1 will never be a sport for me, its a manufacturers competition as someone said

Wont be long before people class 3 card brag and dominoes as sport"

Olympics?

So dressage, shooting, archery?

And product development hasn’t helped give GB cyclists an advantage over the years? By your reckonng, cycling would only be a sport of the bikes were all identical.

henley on thames

TBH alot do yes

Wont be long before people class 3 card brag and dominoes as sport"

Serious question. Why does it matter so much to you whether something is a sport or not?

It really doesn’t matter. I don’t see why anyone would get so upset about it

By *wistntwirlCouple 26 weeks ago

Middle Land

I've always argued that anything dependant on a judgment for the result isn't a sport - gymnastics, figure skating etc. But then you rule out boxing which is hard to deny is a sport.

Similarly I'd say synchronised swimming, equestrian etc. are dancing rather than sport and therefore an art form.

Snooker and darts are games... But bowls seems like a sport even though they're basically the same. Boules is a game unless you're French. Tenpin bowling is a night out. Curling is just cleaners having a jolly.

henley on thames

"I've always argued that anything dependant on a judgment for the result isn't a sport - gymnastics, figure skating etc. But then you rule out boxing which is hard to deny is a sport.

Similarly I'd say synchronised swimming, equestrian etc. are dancing rather than sport and therefore an art form.

Snooker and darts are games... But bowls seems like a sport even though they're basically the same. Boules is a game unless you're French. Tenpin bowling is a night out. Curling is just cleaners having a jolly.

"

Why do such categorisations matter to you? Why is it that you have “always argued” about it?

It really doesn’t matter.

You seem to be in a huge rush to find a way to look down on lots of activities that other people enjoy.

It’s just a word.

By *lint-EverhardMan 26 weeks ago

Perpignan and cap

". Curling is just cleaners having a jolly.

Why do such categorisations matter to you? Why is it that you have “always argued” about it?

You seem to be in a huge rush to find a way to look down on lots of activities that other people enjoy.

"

Judging by this one sentence alone, the author of this piece wrote it tongue in cheek, with style I may add. It would seem that your response to his response says more about yourself than him...

By *rAitchMan 26 weeks ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

My ex-wife was a sport.

Apparently!

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 26 weeks ago

Leeds

If you win a trophy it’s a sport.

The mr

By *arla SwingerWoman 26 weeks ago

Somewhere

"If you win a trophy it’s a sport.

The mr "

The medal that I received winning the bean bag toss back on school sports day definitely classes then.

henley on thames

". Curling is just cleaners having a jolly.

Judging by this one sentence alone, the author of this piece wrote it tongue in cheek, with style I may add. It would seem that your response to his response says more about yourself than him..."

Not really. I just don’t get worked up about what is / isn’t a sport, and don’t feel the need to slag off activities that others enjoy.

By *r_reusMan 26 weeks ago

Coventry

What is sport?

Baby don't hurt me

Don't hurt me, no more...

Middle Land

"Not really. I just don’t get worked up about what is / isn’t a sport, and don’t feel the need to slag off activities that others enjoy. "

You sure about that?

Nothing wrong with enjoying some dancing and a few games.

By *os19Man 26 weeks ago

Edmonton

"Is snooker a sport?

Is darts a sport?

Conkers?

Do you need to be out of puff?"

. If snooker & darts are not sports then they are self employed jobs which have turned a lot of men into millionaires and women are slowly catching up in terms of self employed opportunities and earnings.

Middle Land

"Is snooker a sport?

Is darts a sport?

Conkers?

Do you need to be out of puff?. If snooker & darts are not sports then they are self employed jobs which have turned a lot of men into millionaires and women are slowly catching up in terms of self employed opportunities and earnings."

Like plumbing then?

By *os19Man 26 weeks ago

Edmonton

"Is snooker a sport?

Is darts a sport?

Conkers?

Do you need to be out of puff?. If snooker & darts are not sports then they are self employed jobs which have turned a lot of men into millionaires and women are slowly catching up in terms of self employed opportunities and earnings.

Like plumbing then?"

. Yes I suppose you can say like plumbing.

By *alcon77Man 26 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

Sex, if you want to be.

henley on thames

"Not really. I just don’t get worked up about what is / isn’t a sport, and don’t feel the need to slag off activities that others enjoy.

You sure about that?

Nothing wrong with enjoying some dancing and a few games."

Yes I’m sure about that. I like seeing people enjoying themselves, and don’t feel the urge to slag them off.

henley on thames

"Sex, if you want to be."

Do you get medals?

And do you get a t-shirt saying you managed to finish, like when you do a half marathon?

By *glyBettyTV/TS 26 weeks ago

About 3 feet away from the fence

IMO any sport where most of the athletes are clinically obese cannot really be taken seriously..

So that rules out Sumo Wrestling and American Football...

By *alcon77Man 26 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

"Sex, if you want to be.

Do you get medals?

And do you get a t-shirt saying you managed to finish, like when you do a half marathon? "

Something that builds up a sweat, gets you out of breath would be my personal definition...chess I'd class as a game, but folks do class it as either.

By *lint-EverhardMan 26 weeks ago

Perpignan and cap

"

Not really. I just don’t get worked up about what is / isn’t a sport, and don’t feel the need to slag off activities that others enjoy. "

I consider conversations online with strangers a sport, it's certainly sporting.

Middle Land

"Not really. I just don’t get worked up about what is / isn’t a sport, and don’t feel the need to slag off activities that others enjoy.

You sure about that?

Nothing wrong with enjoying some dancing and a few games.

Yes I’m sure about that. I like seeing people enjoying themselves, and don’t feel the urge to slag them off. "

That's exactly the vibe I was getting

henley on thames

"

Not really. I just don’t get worked up about what is / isn’t a sport, and don’t feel the need to slag off activities that others enjoy.

I consider conversations online with strangers a sport, it's certainly sporting. "

Apparently only counts as a sport if you’re out of breath! Are you?

» Add a new message to this topic