FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Glasses wearers

Glasses wearers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubikslongsword OP   Man 26 weeks ago

East Grinstead

Do you claim the cost for your eye tests/glasses back from work? (specifically those who work on a VDU)

I'm lucky enough to work for a company who pays in full for an eye test every 2 years and £50 off a pair of glasses. Though I'm looking at trying contacts for a bit

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *sWyldWoman 26 weeks ago

Edinburgh

I spend my life encouraging our staff to claim this and to get their eyes checked. It's such an important thing to be able to look after your eyes

By *ickshawedCouple 26 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

Yes. It's the only reason I use Specsavers as we have to use it there. I hate the place and feeling like I'm on a conveyor belt. But if you need glasses anyway you don't get the £50 voucher as that's specifically for those who only need glasses for VDU use.

East Grinstead

"I spend my life encouraging our staff to claim this and to get their eyes checked. It's such an important thing to be able to look after your eyes "

Eye health is so important, I do the same in my office I asked someone the other day when they last had their eyes checked and it was 6 years ago, so printed out the claim form for them and told them to book an appointment

Not that I'm bossy at all

By *r_GreyscaleMan 26 weeks ago

Baldock

We get the cost of an annual eye test through work but that's all. I usually forget to claim for it too

By *icecouple561Couple 26 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I used to claim an eye test when I worked but they didn't contribute to glasses.

Now I've reached the dizzy heights of 60 and beyond eye tests are free. I buy prescription glasses on line because they're much cheaper

East Grinstead

"Yes. It's the only reason I use Specsavers as we have to use it there. I hate the place and feeling like I'm on a conveyor belt. But if you need glasses anyway you don't get the £50 voucher as that's specifically for those who only need glasses for VDU use. "

The loophole for that is to get a pair with the blue filter tint and explain to the optician that those are specifically your work glasses, worked for me

East Grinstead

"I used to claim an eye test when I worked but they didn't contribute to glasses.

Now I've reached the dizzy heights of 60 and beyond eye tests are free. I buy prescription glasses on line because they're much cheaper "

I have ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses from online as last year I was wearing my sunnies over the top of my regular glasses, to say I looked odd is an understatement lol

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I used to claim an eye test when I worked but they didn't contribute to glasses.

Now I've reached the dizzy heights of 60 and beyond eye tests are free. I buy prescription glasses on line because they're much cheaper

I have ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses from online as last year I was wearing my sunnies over the top of my regular glasses, to say I looked odd is an understatement lol"

I was very pleasantly surprised, there's even an app for measuring pupil distance. I paid nearly £500 for glasses from an optician and approximately half that for two pairs on line.

Never worn sunglasses over them though

By *WINGStars23Couple 26 weeks ago

Chorley

Didn't even know you could do this.

By (user no longer on site) 26 weeks ago

My vision issues are general and not connected to work so I'm not able to claim anything

East Grinstead

"Didn't even know you could do this."

Well now you do, get in contact with HR and see what's available to you pretty sure it's a legal requirement (though they're clever in not telling you because it saves them money)

By *BootyfulDayWoman 26 weeks ago

"Didn't even know you could do this."

Me either!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Didn't even know you could do this.

Me either! "

I think it depends on your job. Well it used to.

East Grinstead

"My vision issues are general and not connected to work so I'm not able to claim anything "

Should still get your eye test covered

" Eye tests for DSE users

An employer must provide an eyesight test for a DSE user if they request one. The employer must also pay for the test.

This should be a full eye and eyesight test by an optometrist or doctor, including a vision test and an eye examination.

It's up to the employer how they provide the test. For example, they could let users arrange the tests and reimburse them for the cost later, or they could send all their DSE users to one optician.

Glasses for DSE work

Employers only have to pay for glasses for DSE work if the test shows an employee needs special glasses prescribed for the distance the screen is viewed at. If an ordinary prescription is suitable, employers do not have to pay for glasses."

By *lynJMan 26 weeks ago

Morden

Well now you do, get in contact with HR and see what's available to you pretty sure it's a legal requirement (though they're clever in not telling you because it saves them money)"

And do it before you get your eye test. Most companies won't reimburse you after the event.

East Grinstead

Well now you do, get in contact with HR and see what's available to you pretty sure it's a legal requirement (though they're clever in not telling you because it saves them money)

And do it before you get your eye test. Most companies won't reimburse you after the event."

Yeh some companies say you HAVE to go to xyz opticians etc

By *eardyBikerMan 26 weeks ago

nr stonehaven

Just safety glasses but then that's ppe so employer provides anyway ...if I need to wear them. I wear contacts generally

By *alm_one4Man 26 weeks ago

RM16

I get free eye tests because of my age.

» Add a new message to this topic