FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > A question for Fabs scientific hive mind...

A question for Fabs scientific hive mind...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *illan-Killash OP   Man 26 weeks ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

Just opened an Easter egg, taken it out the box, carefully removed the foil wrapping, no tears.

Cracked the egg along the preformed seam, and tried to re-wrap the remaining half with the foil I've just removed.

So, why does a sheet of foil that previously completely wrapped a whole egg and included an overlap, now not fully cover half an egg?

Scientists front and centre please.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan 26 weeks ago

Glasgow

It’s the n-dimensional topology of the foil they use for Easter eggs. It doesn’t exist only in our three visible dimensions.

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan 26 weeks ago

Glasgow

But also, what the hell are you doing being so neat and accurate with your Easter eggs, man? Get a grip.

"It’s the n-dimensional topology of the foil they use for Easter eggs. It doesn’t exist only in our three visible dimensions. "

You may be onto something........

Cue X files music

"But also, what the hell are you doing being so neat and accurate with your Easter eggs, man? Get a grip."

It's a Lindt egg, treating it with respect.

By (user no longer on site) 26 weeks ago

"But also, what the hell are you doing being so neat and accurate with your Easter eggs, man? Get a grip.

It's a Lindt egg, treating it with respect. "

Cadbury use bigger foil sheets

By *inky_couple2020Couple 26 weeks ago

North West

Two potential answers, which would require testing:

1) The foil, when applied by a machine, is under tension and applied completely smoothly with no wrinkles. Once you release the foil and unwrap/rewrap, you introduce wrinkling that you cannot smooth out with your hands. Therefore there's a smaller surface area of foil to apply back to the half egg.

2) The concave inner egg surface and edges result in a higher surface area to cover with foil, compared to the whole egg.

Or a combination thereof.

By *sWyldWoman 26 weeks ago

Edinburgh

I really want an Easter egg now!

The real question is why you're only eating half?!

"Two potential answers, which would require testing:

1) The foil, when applied by a machine, is under tension and applied completely smoothly with no wrinkles. Once you release the foil and unwrap/rewrap, you introduce wrinkling that you cannot smooth out with your hands. Therefore there's a smaller surface area of foil to apply back to the half egg.

2) The concave inner egg surface and edges result in a higher surface area to cover with foil, compared to the whole egg.

Or a combination thereof. "

I did consider 2....... however, laid the foil on a flat surface and put the seamed part of the egg on the foil.

1 seems more plausible.

Eggs delicious by the way.

"I really want an Easter egg now!

The real question is why you're only eating half?! "

I'm edging my rapture.......

By *agnar73Man 26 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Just opened an Easter egg, taken it out the box, carefully removed the foil wrapping, no tears.

Cracked the egg along the preformed seam, and tried to re-wrap the remaining half with the foil I've just removed.

So, why does a sheet of foil that previously completely wrapped a whole egg and included an overlap, now not fully cover half an egg?

Scientists front and centre please. "

You’re doing it wrong?

By *elix SightedMan 26 weeks ago

Cloud 8

"Just opened an Easter egg, taken it out the box, carefully removed the foil wrapping, no tears.

It’s the inverse curvature of the inside of the egg in conjunction with the taper to the peak; and the small amount you lose from folding over the edge of the halved egg. In other words, when you fold it back on itself and it has to follow a contour that goes against the natural external curve, it causes the square of foil to buckle.

Plus the added phenomenon that nothing goes back in the box the same way.

By *ullyMan 26 weeks ago

Near Clacton

It's because 18cm times foot pounds per several is not divisible by the first number you thought of!

By *red333Man 26 weeks ago

Dorchester

you creased the foil wrapping which was stretched over the original whole egg

Scientists front and centre please. you creased the foil wrapping which was stretched over the original whole egg "

Nope. It's almost perfect in its flatness.

"I really want an Easter egg now!

The real question is why you're only eating half?! "

That was what I was going to ask

By *lynJMan 26 weeks ago

Morden

Is the foil rectangular? If so, have you got the half egg oriented in the correct direction?

By *ddie1966Man 26 weeks ago

Paper Town Central, Essex.

Lay the foil flat and place the edge side on it then wrap over the outer curved surface. It will cover.

If you try to follow the internal curved surface, it won't.

I could go into surface area dynamics, but I don't want another sui side occurrence on my hands.

By *eronikapaulCouple 26 weeks ago

Reading

Dr Evil fails at his fourteenth attemp to re-wrap the second half of an Easter egg.

Curses! Foiled again!

By *agnar73Man 26 weeks ago

Glasgow

Chocolate is malleable. Reshape it to fit

"Is the foil rectangular? If so, have you got the half egg oriented in the correct direction?"

Yes and yes.

"Lay the foil flat and place the edge side on it then wrap over the outer curved surface. It will cover.

If you try to follow the internal curved surface, it won't.

I could go into surface area dynamics, but I don't want another sui side occurrence on my hands."

Did that. Didn't work.

I'm going with Mrs KCs theory.

By *ond and BambiCouple 26 weeks ago

birmingham

"But also, what the hell are you doing being so neat and accurate with your Easter eggs, man? Get a grip."

More to the point why is the OP only eating half an egg haha

Oh lawks ... This probably relates to the topological folding of the foil creating more warps as it wraps in on itself.

This is an interesting problem to model!

It’s the inverse curvature of the inside of the egg in conjunction with the taper to the peak; and the small amount you lose from folding over the edge of the halved egg. In other words, when you fold it back on itself and it has to follow a contour that goes against the natural external curve, it causes the square of foil to buckle.

Plus the added phenomenon that nothing goes back in the box the same way."

Next time try this. Slice along the edge perfectly and peel the foil away from one side ensuring the shape remains intact. Consume said contents, then place the foil back to front in the remaining half.

Plus the added phenomenon that nothing goes back in the box the same way.

Next time try this. Slice along the edge perfectly and peel the foil away from one side ensuring the shape remains intact. Consume said contents, then place the foil back to front in the remaining half."

I gotta wait a year to try this now.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 26 weeks ago

Leeds

The foil is no longer stretched, it's now wrinkled and cant cover the concave curvature.

Mrs

By *inochioMan 26 weeks ago

Derbyshire

"Two potential answers, which would require testing:

Or a combination thereof. "

This would have been my suggestion too. We are channeling.

"The foil is no longer stretched, it's now wrinkled and cant cover the concave curvature.

Mrs "

The foil was flat, no wrinkles or crumples.

By *lynJMan 26 weeks ago

Morden

How much gap was there when you tried to re-wrap the egg?

By *ad NannaWoman 26 weeks ago

East London

Break the remaining egg into pieces and make an envelope from the wrapper.

North West

"The foil is no longer stretched, it's now wrinkled and cant cover the concave curvature.

Mrs

The foil was flat, no wrinkles or crumples. "

There will have been micro wrinkles that you can't see. The ultra structure of the metal foil will have changed. It's applied in the factory by machine and is under tension when wrapped around the egg. There's no way you can replicate that with your hands.

Mrs

There will have been micro wrinkles that you can't see. The ultra structure of the metal foil will have changed. It's applied in the factory by machine and is under tension when wrapped around the egg. There's no way you can replicate that with your hands. "

Oh Mrs KC, of course, youve never felt the soft sensual touch of my hands........

*flirts OUTRAGEOUSLY.......

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 26 weeks ago

Manchester-ish

Mrs

There will have been micro wrinkles that you can't see. The ultra structure of the metal foil will have changed. It's applied in the factory by machine and is under tension when wrapped around the egg. There's no way you can replicate that with your hands. "

Also the egg will be positioned on an angle in the foil so that the circumference around the widest part of the egg is close to the hypotenuse allowing them to use the smallest amount of foil possible to wrap it.

B

North West

Mrs

There will have been micro wrinkles that you can't see. The ultra structure of the metal foil will have changed. It's applied in the factory by machine and is under tension when wrapped around the egg. There's no way you can replicate that with your hands.

Also the egg will be positioned on an angle in the foil so that the circumference around the widest part of the egg is close to the hypotenuse allowing them to use the smallest amount of foil possible to wrap it.

B"

» Add a new message to this topic