FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Conscription

Conscription

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *r_reus OP   Man 26 weeks ago

Coventry

A bit late to the picnic on this one, but we may remember that this was a topic of discussion in the media back in January.

So, if mandatory conscription was introduced to fight for this country in the event of war and you were in the required age brackets to qualify, would you go along with it, or would you resist, even in the face of legal consequences?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple 26 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'd resist probably but nobidy should underestimate the power of propaganda and peer pressure

By *wimmingbadgerMan 26 weeks ago

Leicester

Definitely resist

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 26 weeks ago

Cumbria

I’d resist, even though I’m likely above the age range.

I look forward to lots of men also above the age range telling us how they’d defeat the enemy singlehanded, and that youngsters are all soft.

By *weelightMan 26 weeks ago

Southport

I thought I paid tax so the government can keep an army funded? It's like paying for a subscription to Netflix, only they want me to create the content myself too.

By *andyfloss2000Woman 26 weeks ago

ashford

No I wouldn't!

By *orny-DJMan 26 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

I have always strongly disagreed with conscription.

Fortunately for me, I am now too old, but my son is approaching the age bracket and I would strongly fight against him being forced into military service

By *obilebottomMan 26 weeks ago

All over

You are right about the picnic it was discussed on here the other day with around 99% no.

By *inaTitzTV/TS 26 weeks ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'd want to know what I'm fighting for and what I can expect in return.

Will it be like 1918 and a return to mass unemployment and poverty, or will it be 1945 and a fairer society?

If it's just to maintain an unequal status, where people can die through poverty, the working poor is a thing and you have millionaires paying less tax than an average person, then no.

By (user no longer on site) 26 weeks ago

I wonder how many would be medically exempt if conscription was introduced

By *avinaTVTV/TS 26 weeks ago

Transsexual Transylvania

Bit moot in my case. There was conscription. I did report for duty, even though at the time prosecutions for not doing so had largely fallen away as the political writing was on the wall. I did officer training, was commissioned as a second lieutenant, and volunteered for an operational posting.

But I disagree with conscription, and now that I'm older and hopefully wiser, I don't know if I'd do it again.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

What if a campaign similar to that run for Brexit or encouraging us to stay at home during covid was run? Based around duty to vulnerable citizens or for the good of our country and maintaining our borders?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I wonder how many would be medically exempt if conscription was introduced "

That would depend on the criteria really

By *inaTitzTV/TS 26 weeks ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"What if a campaign similar to that run for Brexit or encouraging us to stay at home during covid was run? Based around duty to vulnerable citizens or for the good of our country and maintaining our borders? "

It would massively split the country. After the tories partying in Downing St whilst telling everyone else to isolate, there would be a massive amount of scepticism over any campaign and given how brexit has turned out, much the same could be said there, too.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"What if a campaign similar to that run for Brexit or encouraging us to stay at home during covid was run? Based around duty to vulnerable citizens or for the good of our country and maintaining our borders?

It would massively split the country. After the tories partying in Downing St whilst telling everyone else to isolate, there would be a massive amount of scepticism over any campaign and given how brexit has turned out, much the same could be said there, too."

I'd hope so Tina but I can't be confident

By *alcon77Man 26 weeks ago

under the sun & the moon

Too many corporate interests in war at this point.

The same company will lobby (bribe) the government and then receive multi billion dollar reconstruction contracts.

I would have gladly gone in the 2nd world war, today, no.

Moving forward ..some weapons manufacturer will try and sell an army of robots to the government, so they'll be even less need to conscript actual humans.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 26 weeks ago

North West

Mr KC would serve, assuming it wasn't us invading some innocent country. If an aggressor invaded, he'd serve. I'd be absolutely no use whatsoever but willing to be adapted into an armoured vehicle and have RPGs mounted on my backrest bar. I'll just snipe from my letterbox if they come up the drive - I'm a decent shot.

By *ony MannMan 26 weeks ago

Wallop

Sounds like a fair question, if you were Ukrainian, would you join the war or run and sit it out?

If you ran would you expect to go back when the war was over? Would you expect the respect of your neighbours?

By *bxanfCouple 26 weeks ago

Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria, Stourbridge

I would resist. You can put me in when all the corporate CEOs are enlisted.

under the sun & the moon

"I would resist. You can put me in when all the corporate CEOs are enlisted."

By *ingerTwistWoman 26 weeks ago

Edinburgh

We were talking about this over Easter lunch yesterday. Someone said they favoured a national service but for non military community/3rd sector work. Given the appalling state of publicly funded services currently, it seemed like a decent way for people to invest in their communities and improve living standards. We couldn't figure out the exact logistics but it was a nice idea.

By *zeroMan 26 weeks ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

"I’d resist, even though I’m likely above the age range.

I look forward to lots of men also above the age range telling us how they’d defeat the enemy singlehanded, and that youngsters are all soft."

Probably get put in the Home Guard like Dad's Army.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

My dad reckons he could be a fighting machine in thirty seconds so I think he'd join up

By *undee2Man 26 weeks ago

Dundee

Let me see now. (Assuming age range was OK) I am supposed to fight and die for the likes of millionaire / billionaire Sunak, non dom's, Russian gangsters, multi millionaire footballers and so on. I think I will pass on that.

By *ymAndIcedCoffeeWoman 26 weeks ago

Worcester

I'd take the legal consequences.

It's an inappropriate use of taxpayers money to force people into conscription.

Worcester

"We were talking about this over Easter lunch yesterday. Someone said they favoured a national service but for non military community/3rd sector work. Given the appalling state of publicly funded services currently, it seemed like a decent way for people to invest in their communities and improve living standards. We couldn't figure out the exact logistics but it was a nice idea. "

I work in the third sector, for a charity with thousands of volunteers.

The absolute last thing we'd want is people forced upon us who don't really care about the mission of the charity.

By *ansoffateMan 26 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Freedom isn't free it costs folks like you and me!

It would depend if I believed I was actually fighting for the country as in the people I care about then yes. If it was to protect the investments and further the interests of a bunch of oil companies etc then no.

Worcester

"Sounds like a fair question, if you were Ukrainian, would you join the war or run and sit it out?

If you ran would you expect to go back when the war was over? Would you expect the respect of your neighbours?

"

But we are not in Ukraine. We are in the UK.

By *rivateparts!Man 26 weeks ago

Walking down the only road I've ever known!

I've served and would serve again to defend my children and grand children.

By *lynJMan 26 weeks ago

Morden

"I thought I paid tax so the government can keep an army funded? It's like paying for a subscription to Netflix, only they want me to create the content myself too."

Bit like only fans then?

By *ingerTwistWoman 26 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"We were talking about this over Easter lunch yesterday. Someone said they favoured a national service but for non military community/3rd sector work. Given the appalling state of publicly funded services currently, it seemed like a decent way for people to invest in their communities and improve living standards. We couldn't figure out the exact logistics but it was a nice idea.

I work in the third sector, for a charity with thousands of volunteers.

The absolute last thing we'd want is people forced upon us who don't really care about the mission of the charity."

Yeah this was an objection raised by my sister in law who also works in 3rd sector. And tbh I can totally imagine what a mine field it would be to implement such a scene. It prompted an interesting discussion round the table though about social responsibility.

By *eneralKenobiMan 26 weeks ago

North Angus

Fighting for another man’s cause isn’t my thing

By *wistntwirlCouple 26 weeks ago

Middle Land

Depends. Who am I fighting for and why?

Some days this is just what I need.

By *r_reus OP   Man 26 weeks ago

Coventry

"Sounds like a fair question, if you were Ukrainian, would you join the war or run and sit it out?

But we are not in Ukraine. We are in the UK."

I suspect things would be different maybe if we had an enemy army officially pouring in over our shores, it's probably quite hard to swing when the bullets are flying.

Wallop

But we are not in Ukraine. We are in the UK."

And when Britain is invaded? Who would defend Britain? I would.

Wallop

"

I suspect things would be different maybe if we had an enemy army officially pouring in over our shores, it's probably quite hard to swing when the bullets are flying."

When the bullets are flying, yes, but in the rest periods sex is not a complicated thing. Fun now, who knows if there is a tomorrow?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 26 weeks ago

in Lancashire

We are both ex services, I've got to say unless it was a direct threat via an invading force which is unlikely I wouldn't be too inclined to be cannon fodder in some far off land to simply maintain the status quo of what is a corrupt and in parts cruel system that we currently have..

I love this country despite that but not for the reasons above and stated by others ..

If we are to form a militia to overturn the inequalities and rebalance society then DPM me up..

By *ackdaw52Man 26 weeks ago

Chesterfield

I'd definitely go.

As long as everybody had to. No excuses for race/disability/religion/gender.

If it compulsory for one person it has to be for everybody.

North West

"I'd definitely go.

If it compulsory for one person it has to be for everybody. "

Are you having a laugh re: the disability bit?! You really think it would be of use to anyone to deploy to a fighting situation, physically or mentally disabled people, who would potentially hold up the abled fighters, get in the way, possibly be unable to follow orders (in the case if mental disabilities) and might give away YOUR location, through their inability to hide, run, be quiet etc?!

I'm physically disabled and use a wheelchair. I've already explained that, if Russians are invading and they're advancing up my driveway, I WILL fight, as best as I can. But deploying me on a battlefield would just be stupidity.

I'd do other kinds of work, e.g. stitching uniforms or a desk job or something like that, if it were a case of a WW2-like situation. My husband would do whatever he needed to do to keep his family safe.

By *ustincamebridgeCouple 26 weeks ago

manchester

Walk through any town centre in the uK. Look at many of those who are living on the streets. Many are ex servicemen this country have cast aside.

Worcester

But we are not in Ukraine. We are in the UK.

I suspect things would be different maybe if we had an enemy army officially pouring in over our shores, it's probably quite hard to swing when the bullets are flying."

And anyone who has ever read anything on modern military strategy or the future of war knows that no enemy is just going to sail troops up to our beaches.

There’s very little that conscripts could do to defend the UK.

By *ent in BlackMan 26 weeks ago

Silsden

"A bit late to the picnic on this one, but we may remember that this was a topic of discussion in the media back in January.

So, if mandatory conscription was introduced to fight for this country in the event of war and you were in the required age brackets to qualify, would you go along with it, or would you resist, even in the face of legal consequences? "

No issue here, I’ve got twenty years of part time experience

By *acktopervMan 26 weeks ago

Stourport-On-Severn

"And anyone who has ever read anything on modern military strategy or the future of war knows that no enemy is just going to sail troops up to our beaches.

There’s very little that conscripts could do to defend the UK."

Exactly, and even if we did have conscripts, we would have nothing to arm them with and certainly don't have the artillery or armour to protect them with.

If the war in Ukraine has taught us anything it should be that the way that wars have been fought before has gone straight out the window. Entire fleets can be and have been blown out the water easily. A very large air force can be rendered ineffective. Battlefield tanks are easy prey for drones as well.

The above proves that the way wars are fought in the future needs fundamental root and branch re evaluation. Conscripts could never play any meaningful part, except maybe as drone pilots.

By *unchalMan 26 weeks ago

Dartford

"A bit late to the picnic on this one, but we may remember that this was a topic of discussion in the media back in January.

So, if mandatory conscription was introduced to fight for this country in the event of war and you were in the required age brackets to qualify, would you go along with it, or would you resist, even in the face of legal consequences? "

Thank God I am old, and I hope THEY never read about my pathetic claims to be young at heart and really fit for my age! I would help my 18 years old son to resist.

By *tephTV67TV/TS 26 weeks ago

Cheshire

I served when I felt a duty and loyalty to the country I was born in. However I no longer feel that patriotic anymore and given half a chance I’d leave this country.

Too old to be conscripted but I’d do anything to stop my children from being called up. The only way I’d be for it, is if they wanted to join up, then reluctantly I’d leave them to it.

Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

By *eavenNhellCouple 26 weeks ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"I wonder how many would be medically exempt if conscription was introduced "
bonespurs ?

By *N4funCouple 26 weeks ago

Manchester

When I was younger, I would of signed up in an instant. 35yrs later not a chance for any of the current political parties, for family every time.

By *ackdaw52Man 26 weeks ago

Chesterfield

"I'd definitely go.

If it compulsory for one person it has to be for everybody.

Are you having a laugh re: the disability bit?! You really think it would be of use to anyone to deploy to a fighting situation, physically or mentally disabled people, who would potentially hold up the abled fighters, get in the way, possibly be unable to follow orders (in the case if mental disabilities) and might give away YOUR location, through their inability to hide, run, be quiet etc?!

I'm physically disabled and use a wheelchair. I've already explained that, if Russians are invading and they're advancing up my driveway, I WILL fight, as best as I can. But deploying me on a battlefield would just be stupidity.

I'd do other kinds of work, e.g. stitching uniforms or a desk job or something like that, if it were a case of a WW2-like situation. My husband would do whatever he needed to do to keep his family safe. "

No, I'm not having a laugh at all. Everybody can be found something useful to do. Admin, driving, peeling spuds etc. As a disabled person myself I'd feel I was letting the side down if I didn't pitch in when I know I can.

I'm saying that conscription isn't conscription if people can choose to exempt themselves.

By *he turned me GreyCouple 26 weeks ago

Warwick and Coventry

I'd polish off my 9mm and hold up the local recruiting office

Mr

By *usie pTV/TS 26 weeks ago

taunton

If thethreat was to our peace and freedom I would have to grow some testicles and stand up and be counted in. Even at my age I can still pull a trigger accurracy may be a bit off.

By *nt1845Man 26 weeks ago

Sutton Coldfield

Personally being ex army, I wouldn’t want to fight next to a conscript.

I only want people who want to be there and will have my back!

By *antastic_Mr_Fox_76Man 26 weeks ago

District 13

[Removed by poster at 01/04/24 19:14:54]

By *AYENCouple 26 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

I have a daughter who I would like to enjoy the freedom that I have enjoyed, so of course I would. I wonder what those that would opt out think awaits them when the Russians or Chinese are our new masters? K.

By *verageguy123Man 26 weeks ago

Selby

I’m probably too old which is a shame as I’ve shot plenty of vermin in the past and am a qualified instructor

By *antastic_Mr_Fox_76Man 26 weeks ago

District 13

"I have a daughter who I would like to enjoy the freedom that I have enjoyed, so of course I would. I wonder what those that would opt out think awaits them when the Russians or Chinese are our new masters? K."

this

Worcester

"I have a daughter who I would like to enjoy the freedom that I have enjoyed, so of course I would. I wonder what those that would opt out think awaits them when the Russians or Chinese are our new masters? K."

The Russians and Chinese won’t go to war with us in a way that requires us to field conscripts.

I most definitely would stand up and fight if there was a full blown war where the country was in peril, but not illegal invasions like Iraq two decades ago

By *exxyyDy11Man 26 weeks ago

North West

I don't think many countries in the world do conscription. Eritrea has a conscription policy, but then again thousands of young men and women leave the country and migrant to Europe ever year to avoid conscription. Mostly because Eritrea has been under a totalitarian dictatorship since 1993.

Middle Land

Probably not a huge difference.

Worcester

"I don't think many countries in the world do conscription. Eritrea has a conscription policy, but then again thousands of young men and women leave the country and migrant to Europe ever year to avoid conscription. Mostly because Eritrea has been under a totalitarian dictatorship since 1993. "

Quite a few still do.

Most Scandinavian countries do IIRC. However they are small population nations with militaries that are agile with many specialist roles for people to learn.

I have friends who were Norwegian conscripts, who learned things such as demolition and firefighting and now work in related civilian roles many years later.

North West

"I don't think many countries in the world do conscription. Eritrea has a conscription policy, but then again thousands of young men and women leave the country and migrant to Europe ever year to avoid conscription. Mostly because Eritrea has been under a totalitarian dictatorship since 1993. "

More do than you think, actually. Kuwait, Iran, North and South Koreas, Singapore, many Scandinavian countries, Estonia, Lithuania, Laos, Belarus, Israel, Brazil, Myanmar, Austria, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Colombia, Egypt, Greece, Mexico, Morocco are all ones I'm aware of.

Basically most former Soviet republics in Central Europe and Asia; most north African countries, many LatAm countries, many of the smaller Asian countries, several Middle Eastern ones do. I'm not as well versed on Central and Southern Africa.

The non-Scandi European countries are actually more of an outlier, globally.

By *atnip make me purrWoman 26 weeks ago

Reading

I would go to prison rather than go to war.

By *smith87Man 26 weeks ago

totton

Due to being made redundant a few years back in the defence cuts . They could do one. Plus when I tried to rejoin I was told no cos of anti depressants. But people in can be on them . It's a double standard that's ridiculous.

By *exxyyDy11Man 26 weeks ago

North West

"I don't think many countries in the world do conscription. Eritrea has a conscription policy, but then again thousands of young men and women leave the country and migrant to Europe ever year to avoid conscription. Mostly because Eritrea has been under a totalitarian dictatorship since 1993.

More do than you think, actually. Kuwait, Iran, North and South Koreas, Singapore, many Scandinavian countries, Estonia, Lithuania, Laos, Belarus, Israel, Brazil, Myanmar, Austria, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Colombia, Egypt, Greece, Mexico, Morocco are all ones I'm aware of.

Basically most former Soviet republics in Central Europe and Asia; most north African countries, many LatAm countries, many of the smaller Asian countries, several Middle Eastern ones do. I'm not as well versed on Central and Southern Africa.

The non-Scandi European countries are actually more of an outlier, globally. "

Fascinating... I didn't know that. Thanks for educating me on that. Much appreciated

By *smith87Man 26 weeks ago

totton

Plus in my opinion most of the teenagers couldn't hack it or cope.

By *batMan 26 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"Plus in my opinion most of the teenagers couldn't hack it or cope."

Awks, as they’ll be the people joining our future military anyway.

Gbat

By *ubikslongswordMan 26 weeks ago

East Grinstead

I'd go but I'm pretty sure my BMI would be a restriction

These days, it's all about pushing buttons on a keyboard.

By *acksparrow99Man 26 weeks ago

Canary Wharf, London

Realistically, if such a need ever arose I doubt we'd be asked for our opinion. I'd likely be assigned to some sort of Home Guard due to my age. Fortunately for us, but sadly for Eastern Europeans, if war moves West, it's them who will be conscripted first.

Worcester

"Plus in my opinion most of the teenagers couldn't hack it or cope.

Gbat "

Genuinely made me lol.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I know everyone keeps saying that warfare is different now and we wouldn't need boots on the ground. Every conflict on going currently has boots on the ground. Am I missing something?

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 26 weeks ago

Leeds

They wouldn't take me so I'd go along with it

Mrs

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"They wouldn't take me so I'd go along with it

Mrs "

Everyone seems pretty confident they wouldn't be conscripted and just as confident that those who would be are too useless to be any good. Basically we're doomed

Ps they definitely wouldn't have me. If my glasses got broken I'd be pressing the wrong button

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 26 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"I know everyone keeps saying that warfare is different now and we wouldn't need boots on the ground. Every conflict on going currently has boots on the ground. Am I missing something?"

Your not, ground is only held by boots on the ground..

Ukraine whilst technology is playing a major role with drones etc is still essentially trench warfare, similar to WW1..

We need to train up more cyber types because the ongoing attacks in that area is where things are moving and where nations are vulnerable..

Canary Wharf, London

"I know everyone keeps saying that warfare is different now and we wouldn't need boots on the ground. Every conflict on going currently has boots on the ground. Am I missing something?"

Every conflict needs boots on the ground unless you can nuke the enemy out of existence first. Robots are a nice fantasy, but they are useless on the ground.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I know everyone keeps saying that warfare is different now and we wouldn't need boots on the ground. Every conflict on going currently has boots on the ground. Am I missing something?

Your not, ground is only held by boots on the ground..

Ukraine whilst technology is playing a major role with drones etc is still essentially trench warfare, similar to WW1..

We need to train up more cyber types because the ongoing attacks in that area is where things are moving and where nations are vulnerable.."

Very true. Some of the upcoming generation will be very valuable for that

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I know everyone keeps saying that warfare is different now and we wouldn't need boots on the ground. Every conflict on going currently has boots on the ground. Am I missing something?

Every conflict needs boots on the ground unless you can nuke the enemy out of existence first. Robots are a nice fantasy, but they are useless on the ground."

Which, given the current state of our armed forces, makes me think that conscription could be an option

By *CLM87Woman 26 weeks ago

Derbyshire

I'd be in the age range, but would be medically exempt for a few reasons.

Before I started working, I did want to join the RAF, but wasn't medically cleared... so became an engineer instead.

In some ways I think it would put the country in a better position and force some people to actually contribute, but in the same breath, I don't know if it is the right thing

By *lmost TouchingMan 26 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat.

We are so spoilt and self entitled… Wow! (I refer to those rolling their eyes at the prospect of conscription and their reluctance to defend the privileges they enjoy.)

Britain will be a totally different group of countries within our generation.

Those more willing to bring about change (not to the British values of my youth) are going to win through nothing but our apathy.

I am sure there will be witty people with smart remarks about me being dramatic, hysterical or other derogatory comments suggesting the folly of my comments but I would urge those to read the works of Douglas Murray.

Canary Wharf, London

Every conflict needs boots on the ground unless you can nuke the enemy out of existence first. Robots are a nice fantasy, but they are useless on the ground.

Which, given the current state of our armed forces, makes me think that conscription could be an option "

If Russia manages to break through the NATO's defences and is getting ready to land on this island, the yes, we will need conscription. Another option would be to send a large army to fight in Europe (again) so that Russians cannot get close enough to us. You'd need conscripts to pull that one off, because Russians prefer to send tens of thousands of men and women to death and someone needs to send them where they won't come from. Current military estimates suggest that in order to defeat Russia we'd need to achieve 1:10 kill ratio (i.e. ten Russians sent to Hell for each of ours). That is a lot of men with guns on the ground.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Which, given the current state of our armed forces, makes me think that conscription could be an option

If Russia manages to break through the NATO's defences and is getting ready to land on this island, the yes, we will need conscription. Another option would be to send a large army to fight in Europe (again) so that Russians cannot get close enough to us. You'd need conscripts to pull that one off, because Russians prefer to send tens of thousands of men and women to death and someone needs to send them where they won't come from. Current military estimates suggest that in order to defeat Russia we'd need to achieve 1:10 kill ratio (i.e. ten Russians sent to Hell for each of ours). That is a lot of men with guns on the ground."

That's sobering reading.

Jeez. Russia has no beef with anyone. Reminder that it was us trying to put our boots on their borders through proxy Ukraine that got them startled.

And we're still doing it now, funding the Ukrainians at our own expense like their success matters to us. It doesn't, we're just getting poorer and the war monsters are getting richer.

By *rozac_fairyCouple 26 weeks ago

Tamworth

Resist.

By *mileyculturebelfastMan 26 weeks ago

belfast

Resist. I refuse to fight yank wars.

Cumbria

" I would urge those to read the works of Douglas Murray.

"

Right wing conspiracist crank, Douglas Murray?

Sadly war makes money, a countries GDP, goes through the roof!

WW3 keeps being touted, I know Tucker Carlson interviewed Putin and sure, Putin could have scripted all he said etc…

Though he didn’t strike me as a man who wanted war with the west.

The biggest issue is the bio-labs that the Americans have in the ukraine

Hence, Russias angst about them

Biological Threat Reduction Program

Home | Embassy | U.S. Embassy Kyiv | Sections & Offices | Defense Threat Reduction Office | Biological Threat Reduction Program

The U.S. Department of Defense’s Biological Threat Reduction Program collaborates with partner countries to counter the threat of outbreaks (deliberate, accidental, or natural) of the world’s most dangerous infectious diseases.? The program accomplishes its bio-threat reduction mission through development of a bio-risk management culture; international research partnerships; and partner capacity for enhanced bio-security, bio-safety, and bio-surveillance measures. The Biological Threat Reduction Program’s priorities in Ukraine are to consolidate and secure pathogens and toxins of security concern and to continue to ensure Ukraine can detect and report outbreaks caused by dangerous pathogens before they pose security or stability threats.

under the sun & the moon

"We are so spoilt and self entitled… Wow! (I refer to those rolling their eyes at the prospect of conscription and their reluctance to defend the privileges they enjoy.)

Britain will be a totally different group of countries within our generation.

Those more willing to bring about change (not to the British values of my youth) are going to win through nothing but our apathy.

I am sure there will be witty people with smart remarks about me being dramatic, hysterical or other derogatory comments suggesting the folly of my comments but I would urge those to read the works of Douglas Murray.

"

Murray has been selling outrage for 20 years.

Canary Wharf, London

"Current military estimates suggest that in order to defeat Russia we'd need to achieve 1:10 kill ratio (i.e. ten Russians sent to Hell for each of ours). That is a lot of men with guns on the ground.

That's sobering reading. "

It's even more sobering when you realise that Ukrainians are currently achieving 1:4 kill ratio and they had a lot of practice recently. Our technological superiority can only be relied upon if we can keep the Russian army at a distance. Close quarters it's back to guns, grenades, and knives. That requires a lot of people.

Lincolnshire

"Jeez. Russia has no beef with anyone. Reminder that it was us trying to put our boots on their borders through proxy Ukraine that got them startled.

And we're still doing it now, funding the Ukrainians at our own expense like their success matters to us. It doesn't, we're just getting poorer and the war monsters are getting richer."

Our fault that Russia invaded Ukraine! I've heard it all now

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Current military estimates suggest that in order to defeat Russia we'd need to achieve 1:10 kill ratio (i.e. ten Russians sent to Hell for each of ours). That is a lot of men with guns on the ground.

That's sobering reading.

It's even more sobering when you realise that Ukrainians are currently achieving 1:4 kill ratio and they had a lot of practice recently. Our technological superiority can only be relied upon if we can keep the Russian army at a distance. Close quarters it's back to guns, grenades, and knives. That requires a lot of people."

Basically then, we're all just pawns in someone else's game of chess

"Jeez. Russia has no beef with anyone. Reminder that it was us trying to put our boots on their borders through proxy Ukraine that got them startled.

And we're still doing it now, funding the Ukrainians at our own expense like their success matters to us. It doesn't, we're just getting poorer and the war monsters are getting richer.

Our fault that Russia invaded Ukraine! I've heard it all now "

Well... Not you personally. You're just a nex-gal from Fabs with no real influence in the geopolitical scale of things. But I'm sure you're well read

John Mearsheimer did a more convincing job persuading me than Rishi Sunak or Biden did. There's plenty of material he presents on YouTube that you could look up. Putin has been consistent. The US/NATO hasn't.

By *razytimesinloveCouple 26 weeks ago

SW Scotland

I would join back up under the condition that my children didn’t have to

Leeds

Mrs

Everyone seems pretty confident they wouldn't be conscripted and just as confident that those who would be are too useless to be any good. Basically we're doomed

Ps they definitely wouldn't have me. If my glasses got broken I'd be pressing the wrong button"

I'm more than confident I'm certain.

Mrs

"I would join back up under the condition that my children didn’t have to "

I'd do the same, so long as our leadership put themselves and their families on the front lines serving their country.

Sadly their rhetoric is all about self preservation and nothing to do with principle.

I don't agree with the way the country is being run but I'm ex army anyway so I would fight for the country not the government

Canary Wharf, London

That's sobering reading.

It's even more sobering when you realise that Ukrainians are currently achieving 1:4 kill ratio and they had a lot of practice recently. Our technological superiority can only be relied upon if we can keep the Russian army at a distance. Close quarters it's back to guns, grenades, and knives. That requires a lot of people.

Basically then, we're all just pawns in someone else's game of chess "

Fortunately for us we have options. We can supply weapons to those that fight Russians already and build up our defence capabilities to make sure we can intercept and destroy anything that may be trying to hit this island. If Ukrainians loose and Russians take Lviv our troop are going to Europe.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Mrs

Ps they definitely wouldn't have me. If my glasses got broken I'd be pressing the wrong button

Mrs "

We can stay home and knit machine gun cosies

Worcester

That's sobering reading.

Basically then, we're all just pawns in someone else's game of chess "

Yes. If it gets to the point where conscripts with machine guns are required, we've already lost.

By *uck Couple HuddsCouple 26 weeks ago

Huddersfield

"I don't agree with the way the country is being run but I'm ex army anyway so I would fight for the country not the government"

I would resist on every level possible for a variety of reasons.

Successive govts have purposely run down and underfunded the entirety of the armed forces over the years in order to spend the money on other more vote-winning projects thus failing to adequately provide for the nations defence.

Countless generals have gone out of their way to countenance this, despite the obvious ramifications of their public approval, in order to safeguard their own pension pots.

Serving and former soldiers have been jailed & harassed by a legal system intent on providing political propaganda to the enemies of this country where the simple mantra is that the system is at fault, not the individuals.

I wouldn’t want to send a child to a military which has betrayed the principals of merit and elitism for politically correct wokeness and weakness.

And finally these elitist career politicians of all sides have allowed this country to meander to the precipice of the abyss and I don’t believe this society and its lack of moral values is worth fighting for anymore. They believe the people are their to serve them whereas in times gone by most politicians understood they were the servants of the people.

By *batMan 26 weeks ago

"Serving and former soldiers have been jailed & harassed by a legal system intent on providing political propaganda to the enemies of this country where the simple mantra is that the system is at fault, not the individuals "

Jailed? Only if they’ve committed crimes. Most soldiers go through their service without committing crime and it’s right to expect that if they do commit a crime, they should face the consequences.

Gbat

Cumbria

"IServing and former soldiers have been jailed & harassed by a legal system intent on providing political propaganda to the enemies of this country where the simple mantra is that the system is at fault, not the individuals. "

Can’t do the time? Don’t do the crime.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 26 weeks ago

chichester

no problem going back into the forces if needed

By *red333Man 26 weeks ago

Dorchester

If they call me up I'm ready...... Gladiators are you ready

By *batMan 26 weeks ago

With all the people happy to join if needed, there’ll be no need for conscription.

Win/win.

Gbat

By *cflirtyMan 26 weeks ago

closer than you might think

I served... albeit voluntarily, and if of the right age would gladly again.Army life teaches teamwork, respect , honour and leadership

By *erry bull1Man 26 weeks ago

doncaster

I’ve been there , served 9 years .

The politicians have stripped the services to the bare minimum and give no help to our veterans,

Personally I don’t blame any one for not enlisting

By *orkshireDrifterMan 26 weeks ago

Nafferton, nr Driffield.

Yes, all those resisting will be the same people who would have a "good war".....

By *ust RachelTV/TS 26 weeks ago

Horsham

[Removed by poster at 02/04/24 23:06:38]

"I’ve been there , served 9 years .

The politicians have stripped the services to the bare minimum and give no help to our veterans,

Personally I don’t blame any one for not enlisting "

It is a disgrace how our veterans are treated, especially in comparison to those who hate this country yet get everything on a plate

By *batMan 26 weeks ago

"It is a disgrace how our veterans are treated ….. "

What’s disgraceful about it? People sign on for a contract, earn an agreed wage, then leave.

I understand there are even courses to help people get a new job or extra skills. And if you were there long enough, you get a pension.

Beats a lot of other jobs.

"especially in comparison to those who hate this country yet get everything on a plate. "

Who hates the UK but gets everything on a plate? Who are you talking about?

The current government pretty much does everyone over and only a selected few get anything on a plate.

Gbat

By *uzy750TV/TS 26 weeks ago

Luton

I could be called back into service. I would refuse to serve.

I do not accept the current conflict is just. I believe the current conflict to have been instigated, deliberately, to further the profits of numerous western corporations. I do not believe it to be a lawful war.

As such I do not believe in all honesty that any call up would be a lawful order under King's regulations, and as such I am required by said King's regulations to refuse such an order.

By *ldgeezermeMan 26 weeks ago

Newcastle

"I don't think many countries in the world do conscription. Eritrea has a conscription policy, but then again thousands of young men and women leave the country and migrant to Europe ever year to avoid conscription. Mostly because Eritrea has been under a totalitarian dictatorship since 1993.

The non-Scandi European countries are actually more of an outlier, globally. "

Doesn't Switzerland too

Lincolnshire

Our fault that Russia invaded Ukraine! I've heard it all now

Well... Not you personally. You're just a nex-gal from Fabs with no real influence in the geopolitical scale of things. But I'm sure you're well read

John Mearsheimer did a more convincing job persuading me than Rishi Sunak or Biden did. There's plenty of material he presents on YouTube that you could look up. Putin has been consistent. The US/NATO hasn't."

I would suggest you don't believe everything you watch on YouTube, you're better off looking at the facts. Russia invaded Ukraine around 10 years ago, NATO didn't become involved until they matched on Kyiv - so how you can think it's NATO's fault is nothing short of crazy!

By *odgerMooreMan 26 weeks ago

Carlisle

We just send in Jason Statham with a corkscrew… sorted!!

It depends what we’re going to war for. There are some things I care dearly about, and some things I want no hand in at all.

If we were being conscripted to fight religious extremism, then yes I’d probably go along with it, for personal reasons (I was present during a major terrorist attack - so I have strong feelings on that).

By *allandathleticMan 26 weeks ago

Asgard

That depends on the situation. If conscription where because there was an imminent threat to the nation (think, dad's army)

Then yes. I'd rather die on the sword fighting. Than accept it as a fate.

By *hriscooperMan 26 weeks ago

Warrington

Can you imagine all of the so called tough guy scrotes of today who all dress in black and like to scare grannies on thier BMXs..

OK Armani, Nike, Deon-Berghaus and Nigel Northface, those over there are the enemy. They've destroyed the Wi-Fi and you must attack them to fix it.

You can't hit them from behind when they aren't expecting it.

You can't use those kitchen knives as they'll be shooting at you.

They will hit you back.

You don't outnumber them 6-1 so the odds are even for once.

And they have had several clips around the lug hole growing up so don't have the immortality complex that you do.. Oh and they don't care what names you call them on Snapchat....... Attack..

If push come to shove, and the Russians or Chinese did hyperthetically invade, it would mostly be down to us in the age group of 35-60 to defend our families and way of life.

I for one wouldn't be just standing there on my front garden waving them through, and saying you must stop that because it's not right.. Because they'd simply smash you in the face with their rifle and shoot you.. Head shot, Done.

Its all well and good saying that you wouldn't join and would resist at all costs because you're not fighting for rich politicians who have made terrible decisions all their lives and made others suffer.

But if another nations army was making its way down the M6 burning and wiping out every town on the way, saying you wouldn't fight or help out in some way and hoping others will fight it for you would just be writing your own obituary..

"Can you imagine all of the so called tough guy scrotes of today who all dress in black and like to scare grannies on thier BMXs..

OK Armani, Nike, Deon-Berghaus and Nigel Northface, those over there are the enemy. They've destroyed the Wi-Fi and you must attack them to fix it.

They will hit you back.

And they have had several clips around the lug hole growing up so don't have the immortality complex that you do.. Oh and they don't care what names you call them on Snapchat....... Attack..

If push come to shove, and the Russians or Chinese did hyperthetically invade, it would mostly be down to us in the age group of 35-60 to defend our families and way of life.

I for one wouldn't be just standing there on my front garden waving them through, and saying you must stop that because it's not right.. Because they'd simply smash you in the face with their rifle and shoot you.. Head shot, Done.

Its all well and good saying that you wouldn't join and would resist at all costs because you're not fighting for rich politicians who have made terrible decisions all their lives and made others suffer.

But if another nations army was making its way down the M6 burning and wiping out every town on the way, saying you wouldn't fight or help out in some way and hoping others will fight it for you would just be writing your own obituary.. "

exactly that you can hate the government as much as you want its not them you would fighting for if it came to boots on the ground in your own country the government would be the first lot in hiding. I've been out the army for a good few years now but if it came down to that I would fight for my land and my family without a second thought, god knows we couldn't rely on the gen Z snowflakes they get offended and start crying if you say the wrong words to them

By *ora the explorerWoman 26 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

"Can you imagine all of the so called tough guy scrotes of today who all dress in black and like to scare grannies on thier BMXs..

They will hit you back.

But if another nations army was making its way down the M6 burning and wiping out every town on the way, saying you wouldn't fight or help out in some way and hoping others will fight it for you would just be writing your own obituary.. "

This did make me chuckle. So true.

I don’t care the who whats and why’s. If someone’s coming for me and mine I’m there until the end fighting.

By *ssex_tomMan 26 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Fighting in wars is not for everyone. There are reserved occupations like mining and steel making (oh wait) and you need someone on rear guard to look after the woman folk like Nora and keep them safe and look after their needs.

Imagine the members of the Oxford Bullingdon Club such as Boris, Osbourne and Cameron and their offspring. Whichever role they fit in will be the one for Tom. Guaranteed a safe seat then.....

Hubby used to be patriotic until he had to make use of state services and saw how our leaders spend taxes, and of course pension age being raised. Won't be making ancestor mistakes of fighting for wealthy barons or the state.

By *immyinreadingMan 26 weeks ago

henley on thames

Might just cross that bridge when we come to it.

By *moothCriminal_xMan 26 weeks ago

Redditch

If England/UK was faced with the threat of invasion or annihilation by a foreign power then I'd gladly sign up - if the cause was just ala Ukraine at the moment.

If we were the baddies then I'd be in the resistance

By *ingeriearoundTV/TS 26 weeks ago

Where ever the wind takes me

All depends what I was conscripted into.

Leeds

Mrs

Mrs

We can stay home and knit machine gun cosies "

I like your thinking

Mrs

For the Empire.

Traitors must be shot.

The thought of being given the opportunity to kill Orcs greatly pleases me.

I become a spyv

Middle Land

"

Why would they be wiping out every town on their way down the M6?

By *onameyet2Man 26 weeks ago

chorley

"Realistically, if such a need ever arose I doubt we'd be asked for our opinion. I'd likely be assigned to some sort of Home Guard due to my age. Fortunately for us, but sadly for Eastern Europeans, if war moves West, it's them who will be conscripted first."

Don’t tell em Pike

chorley

"Plus in my opinion most of the teenagers couldn't hack it or cope.

Gbat

Genuinely made me lol."

They would make fantastic drone pilots given their game playing skills

chorley

"

But if another nations army was making its way down the M6 burning and wiping out every town on the way, saying you wouldn't fight or help out in some way and hoping others will fight it for you would just be writing your own obituary..

Why would they be wiping out every town on their way down the M6?"

It would take forever with all the road works

» Add a new message to this topic