FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Spelling, punctuation & grammar

Spelling, punctuation & grammar

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *m-Batman OP   Man 27 weeks ago

Gotham

Ready for the instant onslaught of hate comments (complete with incorrect spelling and no punctuation), and an instant ban from Fab…

But…

Does it bother you when in regards ‘profiles’ specifically - that many (and I do mean many), are so poorly written, hugely generic, and riddled with awful spelling errors (I’ve seen some incredible phonetically written words you’d struggle to comprehend how they’re crafted), and with little, to no punctuation etc

I know in chat, especially on mobile, it’s easy for auto correct and slang tying for speed… but in profiles where they’re alluding to how minutely meticulous their laser targeted needs and requirements are for the hoops you are requested to jump through in order to be graced an acknowledgment of your existence; yet the biggest challenge is deciphering their language.

Makes me wonder how’s a none native English speaker ever going to understand what is presented.

Happy to be a minority of one lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 27 weeks ago

*I'm

Gotham

"*I'm"

I laid a few traps in the above shit post… lol

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 27 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

In short, no.

If someone's profile is difficult to comprehend or presents an abundance of hoops to jump through, I just hit back and go find someone more suitable.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest

By *oulderingBearMan 27 weeks ago

Falme

Non-native Speaker

Gotham

"Non-native Speaker"

I’m actually shocked someone read that wall of text lol

By *inister_SpinsterWoman 27 weeks ago

North West

I can and do type clearly, most of the time.

Different people have different writing styles.

Not everyone has English as a first language.

Some folks struggle with writing and words.

It's not for me to judge other people, I don't know anything about them.

So judging their English isn't a kind thing to do.

Falme

[Removed by poster at 29/03/24 23:12:53]

By *obilebottomMan 27 weeks ago

All over

I always insist on a GCSE grade 4 or above

Falme

"Ready for the instant onslaught of hate comments (complete with incorrect spelling and no punctuation), and an instant ban from Fab…

But…

Does it bother you when in regards ‘profiles’ specifically - that many (and I do mean many), are so poorly written, hugely generic, and riddled with awful spelling errors (I’ve seen some incredible phonetically written words you’d struggle to comprehend how they’re crafted), and with little, to no punctuation etc

I know in chat, especially on mobile, it’s easy for auto correct and slang tying for speed… but in profiles where they’re alluding to how minutely meticulous their laser targeted needs and requirements are for the hoops you are requested to jump through in order to be graced an acknowledgment of your existence; yet the biggest challenge is deciphering their language.

Makes me wonder how’s a none native English speaker ever going to understand what is presented.

Happy to be a minority of one lol"

Too many run on sentences

Profiles yes … I may be naive but I like to think people think about what they put and therefore choose their/there/they’re words carefully.

Messages - doesn’t bother me or my man at all. I’m a terrible at messaging, I have to be honest.

"*I'm

I laid a few traps in the above shit post… lol"

tbh didn't even read it. Was just riffing on your user name.

By *electableicecreamMan 27 weeks ago

The West

I make a lot of spilling mistakes when I'm tapping so it's not something I'd let bother me.

By *oastal1968Man 27 weeks ago

London

Would of, should of, could of. I'd rather hear nails being dragged down a chalkboard.

Gotham

"

So judging their English isn't a kind thing to do. "

We all make judgements about people every day.

But think about it this way…

This profile says they’re not 6ft or over and so that’s irritating. My preference is people over 6ft. Why are they so attractive yet don’t meet my criteria.

It’s just I’m asking if someone has spelling and grammar as criteria - is that anybody else’s deciding factor or preference to proceed with making an effort.

Controversial, maybe, judgemental I don’t believe so.

Gotham

"I always insist on a GCSE grade 4 or above"

Adding that to my profile immediately lol

Gotham

"

Too many run on sentences "

Can’t take this seriously - no punctuation.

Gotham

"Profiles yes … I may be naive but I like to think people think about what they put and therefore choose their/there/they’re words carefully.

Messages - doesn’t bother me or my man at all. I’m a terrible at messaging, I have to be honest. "

Exactly! This is my point.

Especially when the profile (once I’ve deciphered it) basically says - if you’re going to message, it some effort in and seduce me with your words and whit.

By *inister_SpinsterWoman 27 weeks ago

North West

"

So judging their English isn't a kind thing to do.

We all make judgements about people every day.

But think about it this way…

This profile says they’re not 6ft or over and so that’s irritating. My preference is people over 6ft. Why are they so attractive yet don’t meet my criteria.

It’s just I’m asking if someone has spelling and grammar as criteria - is that anybody else’s deciding factor or preference to proceed with making an effort.

Controversial, maybe, judgemental I don’t believe so."

I don't need you to mansplain my decision back to me thanks.

You're welcome to judge any way you like. As am I.

Have a pleasant evening.

By *ellhungvweMan 27 weeks ago

Cheltenham

Life is too short to be bothered by poor English. If I can’t understand what they are saying then I cut my losses and just move on. Quickly.

By *rsMistyPeaksWoman 27 weeks ago

Essex

Poorly spelled, punctuated etc is ok. Dyslexia, shitty typing skills etc. I make more typos than anyone.

But the onslaught of random words in a massive message hurt my brain. I *can* decipher. But probably lose interest.

By *naswingdressWoman 27 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm not a fan of poor spelling/ grammar. Partly why it's such a big part of my job

These complaints don't generally go down well here, though. (And you do leave yourself open to correction - whether you're incorrect or not. The incorrect corrections give me a good chuckle.)

As said above, errors mean that some deciphering has to be done. I recognise that shit happens, autocarrot* strikes and we must all pay our dues to the mighty god Tpyo*. But the more I have to decipher, the more effort it takes, and the less I'm likely to bother. You want me to bother with all of it, I'd better be pretty fond of you, or you'd better pay my invoice within 30 days**.

* those are deliberate 'errors'

** I am not soliciting work on Fab, don't come for me!

By *umagain58Man 27 weeks ago

London

Never be hateful as can be friends. Welcome the diversity

By *ophieslutTV/TS 27 weeks ago

Central

I make a lot of mistakes with my writing, so I'm not interested in being critical of others. If I can understand what someone means, then that's satisfying.

By *icecouple561Couple 27 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

One of my brothers is very dyslexic so I tend to be tolerant of unusual spelling. I can usually understand most written English .

I do wonder at the current trend for using 'are' in place of 'our' though

By *ed VoluptaWoman 27 weeks ago

Wirral.

Bad spelling/poor grammar/text speak make my eyes itch and is used as a filter by me.

Slag me off all you like, I just don't care

By *mmaleiaWoman 27 weeks ago

East Northamptonshire

As somebody who is dyslexic, there’s no excuse for poor spelling with predictive text on the phone, if I’m not sure of a spelling, I use Google, I can be word blind & get my who & how, then & thans etc mixed up, Punctuation is harder to gauge.

By *arla SwingerWoman 27 weeks ago

Somewhere

Be. In. The. North. East

"*I'm

I did the same in my profile. I use it as a filter.

It whittles out the wannabe perfectionists.

By *hyguy469Man 27 weeks ago

BROMSGROVE

Lots of people on here judge others on their looks or photos they choose to post so I think it's perfectly acceptable to form an opinion on someone based on their SPaG.

I'm not one to pull someone up on it or be unkind, however it is definitely a big factor in whether or not I chat to them.

Some don't like receiving dick pics...I don't like receiving misplaced commas!

By *stwo2023Couple 27 weeks ago

Worcester

"Ready for the instant onslaught of hate comments (complete with incorrect spelling and no punctuation), and an instant ban from Fab…

But…

People in glass houses.....

The spelling and stuff doesn't bother me as I quite often make mistakes with typing so fast. It's the use of certain words that bring on that cold shiver.

Worcester

"*I'm

Your bike pedals backwards rather quickly

By *elix SightedMan 27 weeks ago

Cloud 8

"*I'm"

Damn you Hovis, beat me to it!!

OP - I totally understand your point here. Luckily I’m perfect and, therefore, in an excellent position to judge. But I don’t.

If it comes to forum posters who I know make my head hurt, I skip past their efforts. Obviously reading messages isn’t a problem for me because I have a winkie and I don’t look at profiles.

Whilst I wish everyone was up to my standard, I get that there are those who have dyslexia or grew up with terrible influences. And we can’t rule out autocorrect, fat fingers and typing in a rush.

I know you’re only provoking thought but I say live and let live.

"I can and do type clearly, most of the time.

Different people have different writing styles.

Not everyone has English as a first language.

Some folks struggle with writing and words.

So judging their English isn't a kind thing to do. "

Absolutely right.

By *red333Man 27 weeks ago

Dorchester

But…

you made a mistake in your write up, some are typos, some are meant and some are dyslexic, suck it oop buttercoop

By *moothshaftMan 27 weeks ago

Coventry

[Removed by poster at 30/03/24 08:25:30]

By *moothshaftMan 27 weeks ago

Coventry

I'm with the OP on this.

It's such a shame that the art of letter writing has died. It should of been kept on being taught at school.

It only takes seconds to proof read for punctuation and spelling before hitting 'send'.

By *uri00620Woman 27 weeks ago

Croydon

"I'm with the OP on this.

It's such a shame that the art of letter writing has died. It should of been kept on being taught at school.

It only takes seconds to proof read for punctuation and spelling before hitting 'send'."

It is taught at school... frequently. It's a very common GCSE exam task.

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple 27 weeks ago

Southampton

It only takes seconds to proof read for punctuation and spelling before hitting 'send'."

Should have been kept on being taught at school

By *ymAndIcedCoffeeWoman 27 weeks ago

Worcester

No, because as a highly educated person myself I understand that there is more to life than correct spelling. I had a proof reader for my postgraduate thesis’ because even those of us who write veritable tomes make mistakes or even just plain struggle with spelling and grammar. My best friend is a consultant doctor and she can’t spell either.

Being snobbish about spelling and grammar is something that frequently indicates a level of classism. It’s a good filter for me because I’d rather associate with someone who can’t spell very well than someone who looks down on people because of either a disability or because they come from a background with low educational attainment (something usually associated with higher levels of poverty in an area).

For what it’s worth, my Scandinavian friends who I’ve been videogaming with for almost two decades have no problem understanding my rubbish spelling and grammar.

To be fair no, some grammatical and spelling errors do not bother me, I make allowance for the fact they could have health or neurological conditions such as dyslexia etc.

What bothers me more is chav like text talk and I do not mean that inna snobby way as I am working class.

Ultimately though, the content is most important but if it is generic I guess better than nothing at all

By *rHotNottsMan 27 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

It doesn’t bother me. I voice type 100% of the time now across all comms platforms. When it’s important I will check it properly.

I learnt recently on a course that attention to detail and grammar, to the point others comms causes anxiety, is a derailing personality characteristic.

Worcester

I write letters regularly. I still make spelling and grammar mistakes in them.

By *lofeldMan 27 weeks ago

Redhill

It doesn't particularly bother me, in written form anyway. What does irritate me is someone using the word 'like' every third word. Especially on say a train or plane where I'm a captive audience

By *osey WalesMan 27 weeks ago

Surrey

I went to a club with someone I met off of here and we had a great night. The lady posted a status, not related to our night and I messaged her to say a word in her status was incorrectly spelt. The wrath and fury recieved in return was incredible and boom, I was blocked.

All because I thought I would point out her mistake as, in my opinion, I would expect any of my friends on here to point out to me.

On kik or whatsapp though i type fast with fat thumbs and send. You need to be Bletchley House level to understand some messages but here, I do try

Worcester

"I went to a club with someone I met off of here and we had a great night. The lady posted a status, not related to our night and I messaged her to say a word in her status was incorrectly spelt. The wrath and fury recieved in return was incredible and boom, I was blocked.

All because I thought I would point out her mistake as, in my opinion, I would expect any of my friends on here to point out to me.

"

That would be a really quick way to my block list too!

Worcester

[Removed by poster at 30/03/24 08:53:46]

Worcester

"It doesn't particularly bother me, in written form anyway. What does irritate me is someone using the word 'like' every third word. Especially on say a train or plane where I'm a captive audience "

Headphones exist

Redhill

"It doesn't particularly bother me, in written form anyway. What does irritate me is someone using the word 'like' every third word. Especially on say a train or plane where I'm a captive audience

Headphones exist "

And frequently forgotten

Worcester

Language and communication structures evolve. No one writes like Shakespeare any more and written composition is more tailored for less formal emails or electronic communication channels these days.

Move with times

Evie

By *irldnCouple 27 weeks ago

Brighton

Grammar and poorly structured sentences I can ignore. Text and slang speak is just difficult to read and can be cringey. But real basics are irritating as a modicum of intelligence is actually attractive. Such as:

There Their They’re

To Too

Your You’re

Worcester

"It doesn't particularly bother me, in written form anyway. What does irritate me is someone using the word 'like' every third word. Especially on say a train or plane where I'm a captive audience

Headphones exist

And frequently forgotten "

That's on you then I have loads of headphones cos I forget them so buy more

Worcester

"I went to a club with someone I met off of here and we had a great night. The lady posted a status, not related to our night and I messaged her to say a word in her status was incorrectly spelt. The wrath and fury recieved in return was incredible and boom, I was blocked.

On kik or whatsapp though i type fast with fat thumbs and send. You need to be Bletchley House level to understand some messages but here, I do try

That's pretty pretentious to correct a mistake unsolicited to be honest. Especially a mistake in a status not aimed at or including you in any way what so ever.

Evie"

I had to edit cos it said mustache instead of mistake

Brighton

That's pretty pretentious to correct a mistake unsolicited to be honest. Especially a mustache in a status not aimed at or including you in any way what so ever.

Evie"

He corrected a moustache

Brighton

That's pretty pretentious to correct a mistake unsolicited to be honest. Especially a mistake in a status not aimed at or including you in any way what so ever.

Evie

I had to edit cos it said mustache instead of mistake "

By *AYENCouple 27 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

Good communication is very important, so yes, a poorly written profile indicates poor communication skills, at least to us.

If someone contacts us then we assume that someone wants to get intimate, so too right we'll judge on every level, we're not desperate for other sexual partners to join us, so we'd be crazy not to.

If someone's dyslexic that's a different story, and is usually easily spotted or explained. K.

By *ora the explorerWoman 27 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

Bother me? No. I’d probably move on though if it was really bad. I wouldn’t say why or make a thing about it though, same as I wouldn’t with other things. No need to give reasons.

Worcester

Evie

I had to edit cos it said mustache instead of mistake "

I saw that typo and I loved it.

Redhill

Headphones exist

And frequently forgotten

That's on you then I have loads of headphones cos I forget them so buy more "

Yeah, I'm like a fly to sh1t, what can I say

By *lynJMan 27 weeks ago

Morden

"Would of, should of, could of. I'd rather hear nails being dragged down a chalkboard. "

Everyone knows it should be

"Wooda, shooda, cooda"

Headphones exist

And frequently forgotten

That's on you then I have loads of headphones cos I forget them so buy more

Yeah, I'm like a fly to sh1t, what can I say "

I find it torture on a long bus or train journey etc when someone is on their phone yapping away and I cannot move seats as it is busy. Headphones do not always block them out unless you blast it full volume

By *imply DeeWoman 27 weeks ago

Wherever

As a non native English speaking person, it used to bother me how many people, despite stating the opposite far and wide, are being judgmental about my grammar, the lack of general knowledge of British culture and so on. The absolute pet hate of mine being unsolicited advice on how to spell or pronounce or use grammar properly, or making a “supposed” funny joke about my accent. For a long time it put me off meeting, posting on forum and staying rather quiet during big socials, even if I’m perfectly capable of communicating in both spoken and written English. But now I just can’t be bothered. It’s actually the easiest way to establish we won’t be compatible anyway.

Having said that, the majority of people I have met, have been very supportive, understanding and made me feel comfortable.

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple 27 weeks ago

Southampton

Depends on why the grammar/ spelling is bad, I genuinely think you can tell if a person is dyslexic or if they're just being lazy... I mean .. wuu2... ? Really ? You can't be arsed to type out what are you up to? That'll bug me more than any spelling mistake... and let's face it the English language isn't easy to learn.

By *eliWoman 27 weeks ago

I don't think the majority of profiles are riddled with mistakes.

I also don't mind them. The only time I'm more aware of them is if I'm reading something that's... smuttier and lose my arousal trying to work out what they mean.

Generally I'm fairly relaxed.

By *ot to giggleWoman 27 weeks ago

Coventry

ooh there's writing too!!! i usually delete after the pictures

i do love your threads!! You can copy and paste your profile information, so its worth getting it checked. But there are a lot of reasons why people have difficulty with the written word. Its a forum of writing, either here or in the chat rooms or just messages. You might actually get on and like someone who's grammar and spelling are terrible. If you don't like how or what someone has written, just skip to the next one - I would rather see someone had put something than the 'come back to this later' who has been on for a year and cant be bothered.

By *sWyldWoman 27 weeks ago

Edinburgh

I can live with typos, god knows I make enough of those.

However text speak is a deal breaker

By *emorefridaCouple 27 weeks ago

La la land

Doesn't bother me as long as I can understand the gist of what they are saying.

If I'm not clear on something I'll happily ask for clarification.

By *iaisonseekerMan 27 weeks ago

Liverpool

Personally, I am a stickler for grammar, spelling and punctuation - partly, as a product of the prevailing education system of my youth which viewed deficiencies in these areas as a sign of lower intelligence and partly because they are necessary for clear communication.

Fundamentally, I prize clarity and elegance of expression in the written word but, even then, my stylistic preferences won't be the same as someone else's. Unpopular a view as this seems to be - and I accept it may be symptomatic of the prejudices instilled by formal education - I find incorrect grammar and spelling jarring, and it detracts from my enjoyment of reading.

In then end, though, we all have aesthetic preferences that are shaped by a variety of influences that are hard to deconstruct. For me at least, a certain level of accuracy in writing is as much an aesthetic preference as a functional imperative.

Yeah!

What he said

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think difficulties arise more from people who have problems expressing themselves clearly. Sometimes I'll not understand a message due to the way it's expressed rather than spelling or grammar. I'll ask a question to clarify but the answer doesn't help, I'll ask another question but still no further forward. I end up thinking it must be me .

By *eroLondonMan 27 weeks ago

Mayfair

It's her... ^

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's her... ^"

That Nero, is an undeniable fact. I am indubitably me.

Mayfair

"It's her... ^

·

That Nero, is an undeniable fact. I am indubitably me. "

You're still bonk-worthy though.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's her... ^

·

That Nero, is an undeniable fact. I am indubitably me.

You're still bonk-worthy though. "

Oh you silver tongued charmer

There could be spelling and grammatical errors for a multitude of reason , maybe dyslexia or perhaps english isn't there first language , or perhaps a finger slip whilst typing..

Take dyslexia for instance , constantly calling out spelling and grammar with someone who suffers from dyslexia can be a little damaging..

I find spelling and grammar police anally retentive and certainly wouldn't be my go too for a meet if that's how easy it is to wind them up .

"Personally, I am a stickler for grammar, spelling and punctuation - partly, as a product of the prevailing education system of my youth which viewed deficiencies in these areas as a sign of lower intelligence and partly because they are necessary for clear communication.

Fundamentally, I prize clarity and elegance of expression in the written word but, even then, my stylistic preferences won't be the same as someone else's. Unpopular a view as this seems to be - and I accept it may be symptomatic of the prejudices instilled by formal education - I find incorrect grammar and spelling jarring, and it detracts from my enjoyment of reading.

In then end, though, we all have aesthetic preferences that are shaped by a variety of influences that are hard to deconstruct. For me at least, a certain level of accuracy in writing is as much an aesthetic preference as a functional imperative."

Dear Sir, I am sorry to be pedantic but after the hyphen in your first paragraph, the sentences flowing immediately were far too long. Perhaps an additional full stop may have been far less taxing on those of us not long up this find morning from alcohol induced slumber. Thank you for hearing me out.

* fine morning. It is the alcohol don’t blame me for the typo

By *undee2Man 27 weeks ago

Dundee

The sole purpose of grammar is to aid communication and understanding. Without grammar and, for that matter, spelling (if you differentiate between the two) one cannot explain anything without the risk of misunderstanding.

There have been many instances when I decline to meet because of poor grammar. If one is that sloppy with words then what else is the person sloppy with.

For me, attraction starts between the ears and works its way down. If I see poor grammar then I simply switch off, I am not interested.

Worcester

Imagine thinking not remembering I before e or using the Oxford comma means you don't wash your fanny

Dundee

"Dear Sir, I am sorry to be pedantic but after the hyphen in your first paragraph, the sentences flowing immediately were far too long. Perhaps an additional full stop may have been far less taxing on those of us not long up this find morning from alcohol induced slumber. Thank you for hearing me out. "

The Sun newspaper has won many awards for its printed communication. It aims for a reading age of seven years old (this is not an insult). It tries never to use words with more than three syllables and limits sentence length to fifteen words where possible.

As a result, it manages to communicate complex subjects to a wider audience than other publications. You may not agree with its content but at least you are in no doubt as to what it means.

I have used the Sun guidelines throughout my working career which is possibly why some people at the top of the political tree liked me.

"The sole purpose of grammar is to aid communication and understanding. Without grammar and, for that matter, spelling (if you differentiate between the two) one cannot explain anything without the risk of misunderstanding.

There have been many instances when I decline to meet because of poor grammar. If one is that sloppy with words then what else is the person sloppy with.

For me, attraction starts between the ears and works its way down. If I see poor grammar then I simply switch off, I am not interested.

"

To be fair I would much rather meet someone with sloppy grammar than a sloppy hole. But that is just me.

Worcester

[Removed by poster at 30/03/24 10:23:10]

By *inky_couple2020Couple 27 weeks ago

North West

"Dear Sir, I am sorry to be pedantic but after the hyphen in your first paragraph, the sentences flowing immediately were far too long. Perhaps an additional full stop may have been far less taxing on those of us not long up this find morning from alcohol induced slumber. Thank you for hearing me out.

The Sun newspaper has won many awards for its printed communication. It aims for a reading age of seven years old (this is not an insult). It tries never to use words with more than three syllables and limits sentence length to fifteen words where possible.

As a result, it manages to communicate complex subjects to a wider audience than other publications. You may not agree with its content but at least you are in no doubt as to what it means.

I have used the Sun guidelines throughout my working career which is possibly why some people at the top of the political tree liked me.

"

The S*n newspaper isn't worth using for bogroll. It has behaved appalling across many years, to the considerable detriment of a lot of people.

By *ervent_fervourMan 27 weeks ago

Halifax

Spelling, punctuation, and grammar?

Doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't affect clear communication.

Articulate messages don't half contribute towards turning me on though.

I'm not a grammar nazi; just so long as you're not a nazi.

Dundee

"Imagine thinking not remembering I before e or using the Oxford comma means you don't wash your fanny "

We all make our way through life in our own way. I have my own standards, you have yours (probably).

Liverpool

"Personally, I am a stickler for grammar, spelling and punctuation - partly, as a product of the prevailing education system of my youth which viewed deficiencies in these areas as a sign of lower intelligence and partly because they are necessary for clear communication.

In then end, though, we all have aesthetic preferences that are shaped by a variety of influences that are hard to deconstruct. For me at least, a certain level of accuracy in writing is as much an aesthetic preference as a functional imperative.

Dear Sir, I am sorry to be pedantic but after the hyphen in your first paragraph, the sentences flowing immediately were far too long. Perhaps an additional full stop may have been far less taxing on those of us not long up this find morning from alcohol induced slumber. Thank you for hearing me out. "

Thank you for your feedback. Rebuttal, if I may:

Firstly, Fab doesn't allow posters to typographically distinguish between the dash (which is the intended usage here as the less formal cousin of the semi-colon) and the hyphen.

Secondly, we all have our own stylistic preferences. Some prefer short, staccato sentences while others prefer to luxuriate in lengthy, elaborate ones.

Vive la différence!

By *ervent_fervourMan 27 weeks ago

Halifax

"Dear Sir, I am sorry to be pedantic but after the hyphen in your first paragraph, the sentences flowing immediately were far too long. Perhaps an additional full stop may have been far less taxing on those of us not long up this find morning from alcohol induced slumber. Thank you for hearing me out.

"

Seeing as the average adult reading age is only a little higher than that, then this is understandable.

Although you could argue that its aiming at a reading age about five years lower than it should. -Demographics and sales man, if nothing else.

It's almost as though they're deliberately trying to infantilise the readership..

I think, therefore i am, etc.

Complex issues coherently argued? I beg to differ.

And what the f*ck is it with their part spelling? Therein lies one aspect of their teisted sense of 'morality'.

Pathetic.

Dundee

"The S*n newspaper isn't worth using for bogroll. It has behaved appalling across many years, to the considerable detriment of a lot of people. "

As I stated "You may not agree with its content but at least you are in no doubt as to what it means.".

A few mistakes happen. None of us are perfect and I'm sure we've all mistyped or chosen the wrong word.

But the standard of English on this site is further anecdotal evidence of the fact that the average literacy level in the UK is that of a 10 year old.

Dear Sir, I am sorry to be pedantic but after the hyphen in your first paragraph, the sentences flowing immediately were far too long. Perhaps an additional full stop may have been far less taxing on those of us not long up this find morning from alcohol induced slumber. Thank you for hearing me out.

Thank you for your feedback. Rebuttal, if I may:

Firstly, Fab doesn't allow posters to typographically distinguish between the dash (which is the intended usage here as the less formal cousin of the semi-colon) and the hyphen.

Secondly, we all have our own stylistic preferences. Some prefer short, staccato sentences while others prefer to luxuriate in lengthy, elaborate ones.

Vive la différence!"

Alas, the beauty of human diversity

"The S*n newspaper isn't worth using for bogroll. It has behaved appalling across many years, to the considerable detriment of a lot of people. "

I agree but that is not the only rag guilty, most of them are

Worcester

Seeing as the average adult reading age is only a little higher than that, then this is understandable.

Although you could argue that its aiming at a reading age about five years lower than it should. -Demographics and sales man, if nothing else.

It's almost as though they're deliberately trying to infantilise the readership..

And what the f*ck is it with their part spelling? Therein lies one aspect of their teisted sense of 'morality'.

Pathetic.

"

The National reading age is 8. That’s the age that museum tags and similar are aimed at when they are government funded.

North West

"The S*n newspaper isn't worth using for bogroll. It has behaved appalling across many years, to the considerable detriment of a lot of people.

I agree but that is not the only rag guilty, most of them are "

Indeed, but it was the one mentioned in the thread.

North West

Pathetic.

The National reading age is 8. That’s the age that museum tags and similar are aimed at when they are government funded."

I find it quite sad that we consider the national reading age to be 8yrs. Does this include children in the average? It's less concerning, if so.

By *ingerSpiceBombCouple 27 weeks ago

Bedfordshire

But…

Non native speaker here !

So be gentle

Worcester

Pathetic.

The National reading age is 8. That’s the age that museum tags and similar are aimed at when they are government funded.

I find it quite sad that we consider the national reading age to be 8yrs. Does this include children in the average? It's less concerning, if so. "

In the UK over 7 million adults read at an age equivalent to lower than a nine year old. There about fifty million adults in the UK.

Probably just under 14% of the adult population can’t read at the national standard reading age of nine years old.

I’d say that this is very accurate having worked in a very economically deprived area, and I’m actually suprised the stats are so low.

By *alandNitaCouple 27 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

In formum posts it doesn't bother me, I often make mistakes.

However, I confess that I am unlikely to engage with the owner a really badly written profile.

My pet hate is walls of text, with no punctuation or capital letters. I find them difficult to read. I also dislike text speak.

Nita

I do have some difficulty with the things written on this site. I taught secondary school science for a while, and have to resist correcting the illiterate mfs on here

Worcester

"I do have some difficulty with the things written on this site. I taught secondary school science for a while, and have to resist correcting the illiterate mfs on here "

Glad you’re not teaching children anymore if you think that making spelling and grammatical mistakes makes someone “illiterate.”

(Btw you made some mistakes in your post.)

By *ularliWoman 27 weeks ago

worcester

I don’t mind spelling mistakes but what I do not like is text talk.

Although I most likely know the abbreviation; I would rather read the actual word/words in full but I do admit to using LOL a lot.

My grammar and punctuation isn’t the best so I wouldn’t knock someone for it either.

"I don’t mind spelling mistakes but what I do not like is text talk.

Although I most likely know the abbreviation; I would rather read the actual word/words in full but I do admit to using LOL a lot.

My grammar and punctuation isn’t the best so I wouldn’t knock someone for it either. "

I only use lol on here personally as there is no laughing emoji

By *ora the explorerWoman 27 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

"I don’t mind spelling mistakes but what I do not like is text talk.

My grammar and punctuation isn’t the best so I wouldn’t knock someone for it either.

I only use lol on here personally as there is no laughing emoji "

This one

Liverpool

"

In the UK over 7 million adults read at an age equivalent to lower than a nine year old. There about fifty million adults in the UK.

Probably just under 14% of the adult population can’t read at the national standard reading age of nine years old.

I’d say that this is very accurate having worked in a very economically deprived area, and I’m actually suprised the stats are so low."

If a low reading age correlates with economic exclusion, what is the relationship of cause and effect? Reading age is not fixed throughout life so would increased adult literacy translate into more economically productive citizens?

Worcester

"

I’d say that this is very accurate having worked in a very economically deprived area, and I’m actually suprised the stats are so low.

If a low reading age correlates with economic exclusion, what is the relationship of cause and effect? Reading age is not fixed throughout life so would increased adult literacy translate into more economically productive citizens?"

At the moment the National average literacy age is increasing and one of the reasons is because old people are dying because they are an age group with a lower than average literacy age.

It’s not true that you gain more literacy as you get older unless you are specifically in education or otherwise engaging in learning.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 27 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Just fuck a spellcheck.

Worcester

"Just fuck a spellcheck. "

Putting the dic in dictionary?

By *arla SwingerWoman 27 weeks ago

Somewhere

Doesn't bother me

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 27 weeks ago

Leeds

No it doesn't bother me, there's so many reasons for poor grammar and spelling & I wouldn't pull someone up on it.

Text speak however is just lazy, that bugs me.

Mrs

Mayfair

"Just fuck a spellcheck.

·

Putting the dic in dictionary?"

The sin in sinonym (sic)...?

By *oot toyMan 27 weeks ago

Portchester

Personally, as long as I can understand what someone has said either on their profile or in a message I don’t worry about how it’s been written. Having said that, I think I will check my own profile for mistakes

By *DW1983Man 27 weeks ago

Aberdeen, Leeds, Sheffield

Depends on the context. I make typos sometimes. Everyone does. It happens. It's generally obvious. Likewise if someone is obviously not a native English speaker, for example. It's easy to make allowances.

But... Some people seem to make it as difficult as possible, with no punctuation or grammar. In the same way as we all do our best to understand what's meant, it's the writer's responsibility to try their best to make it clear for the reader.

I had a message on another site once from a woman in America. No idea why she messaged me, but every single word started with a capital letter, and there was no punctuation. It was really hard to read. Why would I take the time and effort when someon's gone out of their way to make it hard for the reader to read?

Years ago I'd have judged people on their written grammar but these days phones make it (mostly) impossible to judge.

I'm more interested in what a person says than how they spell it. If you sound like a dick it doesn't matter how good your spilling is

Having said all that, apostrophes matter

By *ady CurvaceousWoman 27 weeks ago

Kent

I unashamedly judge people on their profile write up. If they can't string a sentence together, then I'm probably not going to be interested. I'm not sapiosexual, but a modicum of intellect wouldn't go amiss.

By *DW1983Man 26 weeks ago

Aberdeen, Leeds, Sheffield

Just to come back to this after a bit more thought, whilst I don't think anyone would turn down a date on the basis of an occasional typo, it *is* important to realise that it's not always a case of being a pedant. Sometimes poor spelling or grammar can fundamentally affect what you're trying to say or make the reader misunderstand, so it *is* important to try your best to get it right. (A comical example is the joke that good grammar is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.)

By *undee2Man 26 weeks ago

Dundee

"Having said all that, apostrophes matter "

Here is an example of why grammar matters. This time, a full stop. Here is some text posted by a financial institution on Facebook. I would suggest that the text was constructed in such a way as to confuse and mislead.

"Receive 4.33% AER

interest every month."

Unless you know look twice, many people will read this as receiving 4.33% interest every month.

It should read:

"Receive 4.33% AER.

Interest every month."

or, better still:

"Receive 4.33% AER.

Interest payable every month."

And that is the difference that the correct use of grammar makes.

By *ood time Chris BMan 26 weeks ago

TAUNTON AREA

"*I'm

I agree with you,however we are in then minority as most people cant be assed with spelling things correctly as they have spell checker to help,Its also a proven fact the the IQ of the average person has plummeted to depths not previously seen,so much so they are thinking of changing the name of Mensa to Densa,

Sure some people have difficulty with the written word,although it didn't do Richard Branson any harm at all. This post is partially tongue in cheek and I have left the grammatical errors in it ,Dont bother to answer as I wont respond

By *ood time Chris BMan 26 weeks ago

TAUNTON AREA

"Having said all that, apostrophes matter

Here is an example of why grammar matters. This time, a full stop. Here is some text posted by a financial institution on Facebook. I would suggest that the text was constructed in such a way as to confuse and mislead.

"Receive 4.33% AER

interest every month."

Unless you know look twice, many people will read this as receiving 4.33% interest every month.

It should read:

"Receive 4.33% AER.

Interest every month."

or, better still:

"Receive 4.33% AER.

Interest payable every month."

And that is the difference that the correct use of grammar makes.

"

I agree with you I have so called learning issues and have fallen for things like that

Dundee

Lol. I am not the Grammar Police . To me, it takes exactly the same amount of time and effort to write something right as it does to write something wrong. I accept typos in messages but, on a profile that one can edit, I am less tolerant. Rightly or wrongly, it does form part of my judgement.

By *ildo_swagginsthe3rdWoman 26 weeks ago

Wales

I'm interested in their bedroom techniques, not their grammar skills.

By *eroLondonMan 26 weeks ago

Mayfair

"I'm interested in their bedroom techniques, not their grammar skills. "

I'm not so sure.

If a woman offered me an FCUK™ I would just assume she was talking about fashion and not an actual FUCK.

By *evon_LexiWoman 26 weeks ago

Devon

"Lol. I am not the Grammar Police . To me, it takes exactly the same amount of time and effort to write something right as it does to write something wrong. I accept typos in messages but, on a profile that one can edit, I am less tolerant. Rightly or wrongly, it does form part of my judgement."

I completely agree. There's nothing better than when someone describes what they'd like to you, they do it in detail, in a way that flows, rather than shouting with four letter words

By (user no longer on site) 26 weeks ago

Nobody’s perfect and I always make mistakes for various reasons so who am I to judge?

As a friend of mine once pointed out to me - we don’t know about anyone else’s difficulties eg dyslexia or a poor education. That doesn’t make that person any less worthy.

By *agnar73Man 26 weeks ago

Glasgow

As long as it ain’t the mad text speak stuff.

By *eneralKenobiMan 26 weeks ago

North Angus

TLDR

By *bxanfCouple 26 weeks ago

Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria, Stourbridge

As long as effort is made I'll not care about spelking errors and missing punctuation.

You can tell the difference.

By *ymAndIcedCoffeeWoman 26 weeks ago

Worcester

"t of time and effort to write something right as it does to write something wrong. "

For many of us, writing something correctly (I probably wouldn't use the word 'right' there) takes longer than it does to write the same thing incorrectly.

By *red333Man 26 weeks ago

Dorchester

I'm interested in their tounge not the length of their tongue

By *onameyet2Man 26 weeks ago

chorley

But…

Full stop after etc.

By *host63Man 26 weeks ago

Bedfont Feltham

But…

It's easy to make typos on digital keyboards specially on mobile phones.

In context if you can understand what's said does it honestly matter? Lifes too short.

Dundee

I am going to be spending a small fortune on a property. It is the start of a renovation project.

I really like the photographs of certain products on a company's web site but, when I see such sloppy text, I take it that the sloppiness extends to the product manufacture and installation. The text is :

"Available on a seperate page is a Larch DIY wooden structure, This is listed seperatly becuase it is has a longer lead time and is sent via a much larger haulier."

Honestly, with at least five spelling and grammatical errors in one (or two) sentence(s), would you buy anything from them? A spell / grammar checker costs nothing so no excuses.

By (user no longer on site) 26 weeks ago

"I am going to be spending a small fortune on a property. It is the start of a renovation project.

I really like the photographs of certain products on a company's web site but, when I see such sloppy text, I take it that the sloppiness extends to the product manufacture and installation. The text is :

"Available on a seperate page is a Larch DIY wooden structure, This is listed seperatly becuase it is has a longer lead time and is sent via a much larger haulier."

Honestly, with at least five spelling and grammatical errors in one (or two) sentence(s), would you buy anything from them? A spell / grammar checker costs nothing so no excuses."

I'm friends with a bloke who builds incredible kitchens. People don't pay him for his spelling.

Maybe there are people who choose not to use him because of a typo on his website. They get to enjoy nice spellings and a shit kitchen.

By *adyBugsWoman 26 weeks ago

cognito

Better not read my profile then

By *ompovatorX24Man 26 weeks ago

Wembley

"*I'm

Wheres the trap

By *enrietteandSamCouple 11 weeks ago