FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Depo contraceptive jab

Depo contraceptive jab

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *issYeuxBleus OP   Woman 14 weeks ago

My boudoir - S Wales

Hi. Hey there. Hello.

Have any of my fellow fabbers had or are having this jab?

I’m almost 4 weeks into my first ever one and I’ve had some very odd side effects. Most notably nightmares. Every night I’m waking up around 3/4am with heart palpitations and sweating. I can remember my dreams and they aren’t that scary but they’re very emotional ones.

Also my horn is through the roof but I’m so so tired! Major brain fuzz in work. Lack of motivation.

The nurse told me this was normal. I don’t feel normal.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *inochioMan 14 weeks ago

Derbyshire

"Hi. Hey there. Hello.

I’m almost 4 weeks into my first ever one and I’ve had some very odd side effects. Most notably nightmares. Every night I’m waking up around 3/4am with heart palpitations and sweating. I can remember my dreams and they aren’t that scary but they’re very emotional ones.

Also my horn is through the roof but I’m so so tired! Major brain fuzz in work. Lack of motivation.

The nurse told me this was normal. I don’t feel normal. "

You could consider the implant rather than the depo. Fits under the skin in the arm, slow release of hormones. Last about 3 years.

By *icolerobbieCouple 14 weeks ago

walsall

A friend of me be had a contraceptive jab, I don’t know if it was depo or not, but she did say it made her rampant!

By *imisugarWoman 14 weeks ago

Rugby

I didn't consider it because the side effects seemed extreme to me. Sorry you feeling so badly from it.

I had great experience with the coil until last removal. Having an ok time with implant now but reserving a judgement for removal.

By *rsMistyPeaksWoman 14 weeks ago

Essex

Depo made me insane. Same with the nightmares. Waking up screaming.

My boudoir - S Wales

"Hi. Hey there. Hello.

You could consider the implant rather than the depo. Fits under the skin in the arm, slow release of hormones. Last about 3 years. "

I’m too squeamish for foreign bodies. The thought of it gives me anxiety I’m a wimp!

By *nightANDKrakenCouple 14 weeks ago

Had depo, gave me persistent headaches. I would try it again though to see if that was due to eye issues haha

Had implant first three years was perfect, second implant- bled for 9 weeks off for a week back on for 6 weeks it was awful.

Microgynon seemed to suit me the best but who wants to live their life remembering to take a pill everyday.

Currently on nothing but definitely don't want anymore little gremlins so Mr is getting snipped

My boudoir - S Wales

"A friend of me be had a contraceptive jab, I don’t know if it was depo or not, but she did say it made her rampant!"

The horn is unreal!

My boudoir - S Wales

"I didn't consider it because the side effects seemed extreme to me. Sorry you feeling so badly from it.

I had great experience with the coil until last removal. Having an ok time with implant now but reserving a judgement for removal. "

Aw thanks lovely.

The coil was an option but I’m not brave enough!

By *ewcatWoman 14 weeks ago

NeverNeverLand

Depo is mostly pure evil. I urge you research it heavily. Of all the options, it’s the one that absolutely should be taken off the market.

My boudoir - S Wales

"Depo made me insane. Same with the nightmares. Waking up screaming. "

Isn’t it horrible!! I recorded my sleep for a few nights and I was making all kinds of noises. I live alone too so it was kinda creepy listening back!

My boudoir - S Wales

"Had depo, gave me persistent headaches. I would try it again though to see if that was due to eye issues haha

Had implant first three years was perfect, second implant- bled for 9 weeks off for a week back on for 6 weeks it was awful.

Microgynon seemed to suit me the best but who wants to live their life remembering to take a pill everyday.

Currently on nothing but definitely don't want anymore little gremlins so Mr is getting snipped "

Yes I used to take the pill and stopped it for 5 years. Then decided last month I need to try and regulate my hormones, they were out of control. Depo was highly recommended to me by my nurse friend. Maybe she just doesn’t like me

My boudoir - S Wales

"Depo is mostly pure evil. I urge you research it heavily. Of all the options, it’s the one that absolutely should be taken off the market. "

It’s in me now. 6 more weeks and I’ll have a good think on it.

By *oyoteUglyWoman 14 weeks ago

somewhere

I have it.

Zero sex drive.

And I've always had weird dreams (way pre injection) so I've not noticed that side affect.

My boudoir - S Wales

"I have it.

Zero sex drive.

And I've always had weird dreams (way pre injection) so I've not noticed that side affect.

"

Yeah I’ve heard it either sends your horn through the roof or plummeting. I don’t know which is worse yet because I can’t be arsed to have sex

By *inochioMan 14 weeks ago

Derbyshire

"Hi. Hey there. Hello.

You could consider the implant rather than the depo. Fits under the skin in the arm, slow release of hormones. Last about 3 years.

I’m too squeamish for foreign bodies. The thought of it gives me anxiety I’m a wimp! "

My wife was the same. The implant is a very thin, small plastic stick. Its a container for the hormone. The one my wife had was about 1.5 cm. Had it fitted under the skin on the inside of her bicep. A small incision to insert it. A small incision to remove but it stays put for three years and slowly delivers a very small measured amount of hormone constantly. Remembering pills was a pain for her too and the depo was no better for her. (and before im shot down for expecting my wife to bare the brunt of the contraception I had the snip before that) This was for her own reasons.

By *inlingerie1Woman 14 weeks ago

N.Yorkshire

I know the coil can be eek the same way the implant can but I love it & have no periods after the first few months of the first 1. I'm on my 3rd, I suck up the 1 day of unpleasantness for the years of no periods as I had mega periods naturally & on the pill.

Sorry you're having a crummy time,did they say it would settle? I think any form can take up to 3 months to calm down.. but take care. I'd go back if it got to 6-8wks & the side effects weren't diminishing at all?

By *imisugarWoman 14 weeks ago

Rugby

"I didn't consider it because the side effects seemed extreme to me. Sorry you feeling so badly from it.

I had great experience with the coil until last removal. Having an ok time with implant now but reserving a judgement for removal.

Aw thanks lovely.

The coil was an option but I’m not brave enough! "

Would you consider the patch? I've never used it but could be a great in between for not wanting anything inserted.

By *ymAndIcedCoffeeWoman 14 weeks ago

Worcester

I was fine on it for the first year and a half or so, then I had an 11 month constant bleed that made me very, very unwell.

The problem is that once the injection is in your body it lasts for months, even a year or more.

Worcester

FWIW - the implant isn’t good if you do lots of types of sports. My friend had one and wheh her arm was grabbed in a roller derby match it broke inside her arm. They wouldn’t give me one as a teenager because I played a constant sport.

I got sterilized at 28. Best thing I ever did. I still use condoms (always use two forms of contraception if you don’t want kids).

By *inkerbelleWoman 14 weeks ago

Manchester

If it doesn’t work for you look at sayena press - I take this and it was so much better for me personally.

By *iss.Bella.Woman 14 weeks ago

North Wales

Long story short...

I was on it before lockdown without any side effects no periods it was great. Then COVID happened and they wouldn't let me have it any more because you know everything stopped

They put me on microgynon which didn't work out because I'm forgetful and fell pregnant. Since being back on the depo I've had nothing but trouble. Really heavy periods, mood swings, the cramps are horrific. I can't comment on dreams but the rest of it is awful. I've not had it now since August and still feeling it.

My boudoir - S Wales

"FWIW - the implant isn’t good if you do lots of types of sports. My friend had one and wheh her arm was grabbed in a roller derby match it broke inside her arm. They wouldn’t give me one as a teenager because I played a constant sport.

I got sterilized at 28. Best thing I ever did. I still use condoms (always use two forms of contraception if you don’t want kids)."

I asked for sterilisation but I had the most judgmental Dr ever. She basically laughed in my face and said because I’m single and childless I would not qualify. And I should consider having children.

My boudoir - S Wales

"If it doesn’t work for you look at sayena press - I take this and it was so much better for me personally. "

I will look into this. Thank you

My boudoir - S Wales

"Long story short...

I was on it before lockdown without any side effects no periods it was great. Then COVID happened and they wouldn't let me have it any more because you know everything stopped

They put me on microgynon which didn't work out because I'm forgetful and fell pregnant. Since being back on the depo I've had nothing but trouble. Really heavy periods, mood swings, the cramps are horrific. I can't comment on dreams but the rest of it is awful. I've not had it now since August and still feeling it."

Oh that’s crap! I’m sorry to hear that. I really hope it gets better for you. X

Worcester

"FWIW - the implant isn’t good if you do lots of types of sports. My friend had one and wheh her arm was grabbed in a roller derby match it broke inside her arm. They wouldn’t give me one as a teenager because I played a constant sport.

I got sterilized at 28. Best thing I ever did. I still use condoms (always use two forms of contraception if you don’t want kids).

I asked for sterilisation but I had the most judgmental Dr ever. She basically laughed in my face and said because I’m single and childless I would not qualify. And I should consider having children. "

The first consultant I saw asked me what I would do if I met a rich man and he wanted kids. I complained about him and he was removed from working on any women’s health cases.

You can get steralised if you are single and childless. You have to know your stuff and keep complaining loudly until you get it.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 14 weeks ago

North West

I had it once when I was 17. Once. Never again. It had such horrific side effects! I personally wouldn't touch it with a long barge pole. It made me horribly depressed, I bled incessantly and I got the most horrible acne. I also got blinding headaches.

By *imi_RougeWoman 14 weeks ago

Portsmouth

"A friend of me be had a contraceptive jab, I don’t know if it was depo or not, but she did say it made her rampant!

The horn is unreal! "

This kind of makes me want to go back on it...

I think I only experienced weight gain, but my periods stopped completely.

Implant was a nightmare, sent me absolutely crazy, off my trolley. Had to have it taken out

Copper coil, almost blacked out having it fitted, then week long really heavy periods. Ended up anaemic.

I don't get on with birth control.

By *rNorthernSkyMan 14 weeks ago

Lancashire

I need some advice about contraceptives while this thread is here, I've been speaking to this couple for a while and we arranged to meet but its just been said they dont want to use protection. Iam ok with that, but she's also not on the pill. Is that a red flag for the meet?

By *iss.Bella.Woman 14 weeks ago

North Wales

"Long story short...

They put me on microgynon which didn't work out because I'm forgetful and fell pregnant. Since being back on the depo I've had nothing but trouble. Really heavy periods, mood swings, the cramps are horrific. I can't comment on dreams but the rest of it is awful. I've not had it now since August and still feeling it.

Oh that’s crap! I’m sorry to hear that. I really hope it gets better for you. X"

Thank you I think I'm going to stay off it now but will have to look into alternatives. I hope you find something that works for you too x

By *inister_SpinsterWoman 14 weeks ago

North West

I'd give an implant a try.

Its tiny, size of a match stick. Easy in and out.

I have no periods and no bleeding.

I'm a huge advocate of it.

Good luck OP.

By *estarossa.Woman 14 weeks ago

Flagrante

I had it for several years.

The side effects for me made me unstable.

The coil on the otherhand- fantastic!

By *ealMissShadyWoman 14 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

I had the depo for a few years. It suited me. Was on it for about 8 years, despite guidance saying you shouldn't be on it long term

Then I had implant, again was fine. Then I got fed up of putting synthetic hormones into my body so opted for a sterilisation.....

I had the Essure procedure about 6 years ago and despite it being banned now because of concerns over women's health it was the best decision ever m

By *arla SwingerWoman 14 weeks ago

Somewhere

I'm on my 3rd copper uid. I can't tolerate hormones from the pill. It suits me well. Slightly heavier periods, but a small price to pay. No pregnancy issues, but I did fall pregnant again once at 20/21 on the pill/mini pill, and I took both religiously. Very, very upsetting to have unwanted pregnancies that were really not my own choice! No issues with the coil

Somewhere

"I'm on my 3rd copper uid. I can't tolerate hormones from the pill. It suits me well. Slightly heavier periods, but a small price to pay. No pregnancy issues, but I did fall pregnant again once at 20/21 on the pill/mini pill, and I took both religiously. Very, very upsetting to have unwanted pregnancies that were really not my own choice! No issues with the coil "

Age - not years by the way x

By *hoirCouple 14 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"Hi. Hey there. Hello.

The nurse told me this was normal. I don’t feel normal. "

Sadly it is normal and then some. I had it once and never again, it took over a year to recover even after the 3 months were finished.

P

By *ittle-Miss-Cunty-1Woman 14 weeks ago

Your basement, Cuntsville

Had it once, never again, about a month in I had the worst side effects, went to the doctor and was told I'd have to ride it out, after that I opted for the Mirena coil, on my 3rd one now and it was the best decision I ever made.

Somewhere

"Hi. Hey there. Hello.

You could consider the implant rather than the depo. Fits under the skin in the arm, slow release of hormones. Last about 3 years. "

The human body is not meant to take extra unwanted hormones. Far better to use a contraception that doesn't warrent this IMHO. If men opted to get sterailised more often when they were past having kids, it would help

My boudoir - S Wales

I’m starting to really regret having it reading these comments.

Sounds like lots have had a bad experience.

I started it to control my hormones and level me out a little, but I’ve gone from major highs and major lows to a “meh whatever” kind of feeling and bad dreams. I think I prefer being on the rollercoaster and bleeding when I should be.

My boudoir - S Wales

"I need some advice about contraceptives while this thread is here, I've been speaking to this couple for a while and we arranged to meet but its just been said they dont want to use protection. Iam ok with that, but she's also not on the pill. Is that a red flag for the meet?"

Ummmm, I mean each to their own but I’d maybe find out if they’re tested and if they’re intending on you being a sperm donor I don’t really know what other advise to give sorry.

Somewhere

"I’m starting to really regret having it reading these comments.

I started it to control my hormones and level me out a little, but I’ve gone from major highs and major lows to a “meh whatever” kind of feeling and bad dreams. I think I prefer being on the rollercoaster and bleeding when I should be. "

Each to their own. I far prefer my natural cycle of hormone roller-coaster without being infringed on though

Periods are heavier, but I'm also at an age where I know they will stop x

Worcester

"I'm on my 3rd copper uid. I can't tolerate hormones from the pill. It suits me well. Slightly heavier periods, but a small price to pay. No pregnancy issues, but I did fall pregnant again once at 20/21 on the pill/mini pill, and I took both religiously. Very, very upsetting to have unwanted pregnancies that were really not my own choice! No issues with the coil "

I wanted the copper coil but at 5ft (and very petite when I was younger), and never having had children, it was strongly discouraged because no anesthetic or pain relief is given.

Some NHS trusts will pay for a smaller version of the coil for petite women but not Oxfordshire.

By *oody BMan 14 weeks ago

Mcr. - The Gilded Palace of Sin

My ex wife took the contraception pill for a while when we were much younger, I told her to come off it as it changed her moods, she wasn’t the same.

When she came off it, she even agreed it really fucked with her, and she definitely would probably give that warning to others who were thinking about it.

Sorry to give a guys point of view when I don’t know much, but that’s my experience of a woman taking control of the contraception.

Take care of yourself op. xxx (3 x’s)

Worcester

[Removed by poster at 30/03/24 05:59:00]

Worcester

"My ex wife took the contraception pill for a while when we were much younger, I told her to come off it as it changed her moods, she wasn’t the same.

When she came off it, she even agreed it really fucked with her, and she definitely would probably give that warning to others who were thinking about it.

Sorry to give a guys point of view when I don’t know much, but that’s my experience of a woman taking control of the contraception.

Take care of yourself op. xxx (3 x’s) "

It’s very known that the pill causes those kinds of changes, but when you come off the pill the drug exits your body quickly and within a week you should be back to normal.

The difference with the depo injection is that women aren’t routinely told that the side effects can be far, far worse than the pill, and that the drug lasts for over a year in your body with no way of removing it.

By *ildo_swagginsthe3rdWoman 14 weeks ago

Wales

I don't take any contraception and I'm on the rollercoaster of fluctuating hormones.. but I know I'm not tampering with the natural hormones that exist in my body...

That makes me feel better about it. Its manageable. Although I do avoid human contact for a few days a month (for their safety )

By *hoirCouple 14 weeks ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"I’m starting to really regret having it reading these comments.

I started it to control my hormones and level me out a little, but I’ve gone from major highs and major lows to a “meh whatever” kind of feeling and bad dreams. I think I prefer being on the rollercoaster and bleeding when I should be. "

Your doctor should have advised you that the depo is the worst for those that struggle to regulate themselves due to hormones. I learnt about this after having had it and I'm still disgusted by the lack of information given to women about this.

After the depo I had to go completely hormone free because it essentially caused a mental breakdown.

Sorry you're struggling with it, I wouldn't wish this on anyone

P

By *issYeuxBleus OP   Woman 3 days ago

My boudoir - S Wales

Hey all. Just reigniting this thread with a little update and thank you all so much for your advice.

I was due my second jab on 6th June but obviously cancelled it. So it should hopefully be out of my system soon.

I’ve been on a bit of a comedown from it already. Period pains are out of control but no period yet. Sleeping a bit better but always tired. Not sure if this is to do with stress as well.

Hopefully this thread helps anyone thinking about getting the Depo to seek more advise than I did before having it.

It’s been a journey! I’m staying well clear of everything from now on. Be free my ovaries!

By *atnip make me purrWoman 3 days ago

Reading

[Removed by poster at 30/06/24 18:35:50]

By *ealMissShadyWoman 3 days ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

I was on that and it worked fine for me, only contraceptive that suited me but they took me off it after 10 years because you're not supposed to be on it for that long

Sterilised via Essure procedure now so don't have to worry

By *arla SwingerWoman 3 days ago

Somewhere

"Hey all. Just reigniting this thread with a little update and thank you all so much for your advice.

I was due my second jab on 6th June but obviously cancelled it. So it should hopefully be out of my system soon.

I’ve been on a bit of a comedown from it already. Period pains are out of control but no period yet. Sleeping a bit better but always tired. Not sure if this is to do with stress as well.

Hopefully this thread helps anyone thinking about getting the Depo to seek more advise than I did before having it.

It’s been a journey! I’m staying well clear of everything from now on. Be free my ovaries!"

Hormone contraception has never suited me, and I tried several! I'm on my 2nd 10yr copper coil now, and honestly never looked back. Absolutely a game for me

By *hoirCouple 3 days ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"Hey all. Just reigniting this thread with a little update and thank you all so much for your advice.

It’s been a journey! I’m staying well clear of everything from now on. Be free my ovaries!"

I'm glad you didn't get another and I hope you didn't suffer too terribly whilst on it.

Some information you may not be aware of - it can take up to a year before your fertility returns to normal. In my case this also meant that my mental health was severely affected for that length of time, I will keep everything crossed that doesn't happen to you, but if it does be kind to yourself. This isn't necessarily something you can control so give yourself some grace

P

» Add a new message to this topic