FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mobile phones

Mobile phones

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm due a free upgrade in the next week or so. At the moment I have a I phone 4 , so I'm use to the iPhones . I've been offered a free iPhone 5 or a Nokia lumia 920. What should I go for ? Any pros and cons for either ??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *utty_JiggleCouple  over a year ago

Black Country

Personally I would wait a few weeks. Samsung are due to release the galaxy S4 and the spec blows any other phone out of the water. Have a look at it on the carphonewharehouse web site.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The S4 looks even bigger than the S3 and that was too big, I've got the iPhone 5 and it's brilliant, but the Nokia is supposed to be excellent too, tough choice I guess

By *onboy777Man  over a year ago

Newark

I'm an iPhone fan and have a 4s few of the lads at work have the 5 after going form the 4s and it is thinner slightly lighter bigger screen BUT its no quicker than a 4s and I'm not sure if its 4G compatible. Although its better the devil you know

If it was me, I would stick with the Iphone as from what I have seen from advertising, some of the phones are huge and I don't like that. I guess it depends on what you want out of a phone so your choice

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

A friend of mine works in Carphone warehouse and says the iPhones are shite compared to the Lumia and the experia phones. The s4 is massive (prob not so bad for a guy but I've got tiny hands)

Saw a review for a Htc, Lumia and the iPhone 5 on the gadget show a while back and the 5 lost miserably in every category I think.

That being said when my upgrade is due ill be getting an iPhone!! Lol. X

Newark

"A friend of mine works in Carphone warehouse and says the iPhones are shite compared to the Lumia and the experia phones. The s4 is massive (prob not so bad for a guy but I've got tiny hands)

Saw a review for a Htc, Lumia and the iPhone 5 on the gadget show a while back and the 5 lost miserably in every category I think.

That being said when my upgrade is due ill be getting an iPhone!! Lol. X "

I thought about moving away form a iPhone but its the dreaded not knowing how to use the new phone syndrome you get for a week

Kent

"A friend of mine works in Carphone warehouse and says the iPhones are shite compared to the Lumia and the experia phones. The s4 is massive (prob not so bad for a guy but I've got tiny hands)

I thought about moving away form a iPhone but its the dreaded not knowing how to use the new phone syndrome you get for a week "

Exactly why I'm not bothering!! X

I'm In exactly the same predicament, trouble is all the others are too big, I like iPhone because there slim, and neater than all the others. I strayed away from iPhone after my 3GS and to htc.. Never again! Although the htc one had me swayed but again it's massive. So that's why today ill be going to get the iPhone 5.

"I'm In exactly the same predicament, trouble is all the others are too big, I like iPhone because there slim, and neater than all the others. I strayed away from iPhone after my 3GS and to htc.. Never again! Although the htc one had me swayed but again it's massive. So that's why today ill be going to get the iPhone 5. "

My daughter has a HTC and due for an upgrade, does not like the HTC either and to be honest, when she has shown it to me, I just think it looks awful, incredibly poor graphics

I thought about moving away form a iPhone but its the dreaded not knowing how to use the new phone syndrome you get for a week "

They won't be that different to use. It'll take a day max to get used to it if you're techie savie

Mine was called the incredible.. And it was far from it, I had 2 handset replacements and about 10 repairs on it, glad it got stolen, insurance gave me enough money to buy a iPhone4

The batter life on the iPhone 5 is great another reason why I chose it, my S3 needed its own power station

By *moothies.Couple  over a year ago

Woodthorpe

Which vibrates best???

Am i on the right site here??? lol

Somebody save me.......it'll be cars next

Kent

"The batter life on the iPhone 5 is great another reason why I chose it, my S3 needed its own power station "

Is it?? Because that was one of the things that they slated on the gadget show compared to its rivals. They didn't compare to the galaxy tho x

"The batter life on the iPhone 5 is great another reason why I chose it, my S3 needed its own power station

Is it?? Because that was one of the things that they slated on the gadget show compared to its rivals. They didn't compare to the galaxy tho x"

Mine is great, first thing I had to do with my Samsung was buy an in car charger, I'm an iPhone convert

Kent

That's good to know then. Coz the battery on my 3GS and now my 4s is shite!! X

"I'm an iPhone fan and have a 4s few of the lads at work have the 5 after going form the 4s and it is thinner slightly lighter bigger screen BUT its no quicker than a 4s and I'm not sure if its 4G compatible. Although its better the devil you know "

Yes it is 4G compatible and yes it is quicker

Op iPhone 5 definitely.

The 5 gets my vote I bloody loves it I do

4 months til i can upgrade .. hopefully all these phones will have glitches ironed out

Black Country

I used to be a iphone person, but when my upgrade was due, there wasn't really much difference between the 3gs and the 4. So thought I would switch and return to iphone in a few versions time. Where I do prefer the iphone for the apps, and iTunes. The Samsung's phones are better equipted. At the moment I have a galaxy nexus ( a S2.5) and its the best phone I have ever had.

The lumia phones appeal to me because of windows 8, but been told to wait sbit until the apps are more established. Samsung also do a windows 8 phone, and the spec is on par with the S3. So if you don't like android then this is another option.

The iPhone 5 isn't 4g compatible on 02 I've just been onto their website, due to bandwidths or something, I can't say about the other phones though

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

I have the Nokia Lumia 820 & absolutely love it.

The OS is a breath of fresh air after Android and very easy and intuitive to use.

Battery life is pretty good, lasts me the day anyway and its turned onto data connection all day.

The camera is very good (and the 920 is even better) and there are lots of free lens apps to work with the camera and your photo files.

I love the hub system where all your feeds come together as well.

A nice stable platform that doesn't freeze up like Android was prone to do, plus it actually makes calls without dropping them. The 820 has an expandable memory up to 64Gb although i understand the 920 model doesn't for some reason.

Getting to know the phone was very easy even for a technophobe like me, the start screen is easy to customize to your requirements.

Its not too big either which is a plus point.

"The iPhone 5 isn't 4g compatible on 02 I've just been onto their website, due to bandwidths or something, I can't say about the other phones though"

EE - orange - T-mobile

It is compatible it is your network provider not offering it.

"I used to be a iphone person, but when my upgrade was due, there wasn't really much difference between the 3gs and the 4. So thought I would switch and return to iphone in a few versions time. Where I do prefer the iphone for the apps, and iTunes. The Samsung's phones are better equipted. At the moment I have a galaxy nexus ( a S2.5) and its the best phone I have ever had.

The lumia phones appeal to me because of windows 8, but been told to wait sbit until the apps are more established. Samsung also do a windows 8 phone, and the spec is on par with the S3. So if you don't like android then this is another option."

Windows 8 is good but for me no need to have it on my phone, laptop is fine and get more use out of it.

O2 has a similar deal to Vodafone. Its 4G price promise means customers who buy an iPhone 5 between 21 September 2012 and 31 March 2013 can upgrade during their contract term to a new 4G phone and O2 will pay 10% of the cost of buying out their contract, as well as the VAT.

Taken from the Guardian website 26th October 2012

rochdale

Oh yes, the apps.

People say there aren't many apps but there are loads.

I've found enough sports trackers/mapping*/camera lenses/toys etc to keep me interested for months.

Also, be aware that Nokia have the rights to Ordnance Survey maps and are currently the only manufacturer offering offline real time mapping via sat links only, which as a mountain biker with a penchant for getting lost in places with no data connection is a real plus and the single biggest reason i went for the Nokia windows 8 phone.

Black Country

I do think long term windows 8 will be a big contender in the phone world. Was chatting about this to the Mrs, when it was first launched. And if it does take off, it may spring Nokia back into the top list for phones.

Black Country

Sorry I get all geeky when it comes to phones.

If it wasn't for the salary aspect I could enjoy working in a phone shop. Fair enough it would be like an achololic working in an off license. I would be on a new contract each month.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

All smart phones are pretty since now a day'sto be fair . I got warned off of Windows phones at phones 4u as they are slow compares to others and still a bit buggy.

I have the sony Xperia t and it's great.

evesham

Pretty similar, nit just pretty lol

rochdale

I've seen/heard sneering comments about WP8 being 'fisher price' but i say that's down to whether you like the aesthetics or not. I find stuff a lot easier to hand than on Android but the look and feel may not be to everyone's taste.

The Nokia phones are well built though.

rochdale

Slow?

I find it to be much faster than the Desire it replaced and as for buggy, hasn't fallen over once in the 3 months ive had it.

To be fair, ive had one or two apps that - once installed - have run the battery down more than you would expect so i deleted them.

Black Country

"I've seen/heard sneering comments about WP8 being 'fisher price' but i say that's down to whether you like the aesthetics or not. I find stuff a lot easier to hand than on Android but the look and feel may not be to everyone's taste.

The Nokia phones are well built though."

Unless you drop them, the mrs has a prewindows 8 one, really nice phone, even though I'm tempted I still have the s4 in my sights. But you never now I may be swayed

I have the iPhone 5 the battery is shockingly bad even with blue tooth off light dimmed. Checking emails, Facebook even playing games on it kills the battery. I suggest you walk into a phone shop and its the one that catches your eye you upgrade to forget about what they have haven't got remember most contracts are either 18 month or 24 month contract so you want a phone you like the look of and think can I wake up to this phone for the next 18 to 24 months lol hahaha

Newark

"I'm an iPhone fan and have a 4s few of the lads at work have the 5 after going form the 4s and it is thinner slightly lighter bigger screen BUT its no quicker than a 4s and I'm not sure if its 4G compatible. Although its better the devil you know

Yes it is 4G compatible and yes it is quicker

Op iPhone 5 definitely. "

You've settled an argument at work with that only thing is I can't show them someone else has said it

see i like my phone like i like my woman big and beautiful

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

General rule of thumb at the moment is this....

If you have a sumsung and you are happy with it there is nothing that an iPhone does that would knock the spots of it....

If you have an iPhone and you are happy with it there is nothing that a Samsung does that would knock the spots of it....

If you don't like either... Change

If you are happy... Why convert to something else

I've had iphones from the beginning, had a iphone 4s last and it went wrong, so i tried a Samsung galaxy s2 and i gotta say it when my upgrades due later this year, my next phones gonna be a s4. Yeah this s2 throws a wobbly Now and then but not as much as the 4s, easier to sorry out when it throws a wobbly too

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I Converted my 4s to a 6. It's lightning quick now although slightly heavier.

Newark

"I Converted my 4s to a 6. It's lightning quick now although slightly heavier. "

You have a iPhone 6 is that the one that has its own personal phone mast and generator ?

I thought about moving away form a iPhone but its the dreaded not knowing how to use the new phone syndrome you get for a week

All smart phones are pretty since now a day'sto be fair . I got warned off of Windows phones at phones 4u as they are slow compares to others and still a bit buggy.

I have the sony Xperia t and it's great."

I have got the sony Xperia J and i thinks it's rubbish and i have got it until Dec 14 Grrrrrr.

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

They all same. Any phone will do as long as you can pick up your calls, text, email and perv online

Newark

"They all same. Any phone will do as long as you can pick up your calls, text, email and perv online "

Can you do other things except perve online with a smart phone ?

I've got a samsung and its really easy to use. Tra's iPhone feels clunky compared to it

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I Converted my 4s to a 6. It's lightning quick now although slightly heavier.

You have a iPhone 6 is that the one that has its own personal phone mast and generator ? "

Nope it's just got a sticker on it that I wrote 6 on.

Newark

"I Converted my 4s to a 6. It's lightning quick now although slightly heavier.

You have a iPhone 6 is that the one that has its own personal phone mast and generator ?

Nope it's just got a sticker on it that I wrote 6 on. "

Have you patented it as you know someone will steal your idea and make millions

evesham

"They all same. Any phone will do as long as you can pick up your calls, text, email and perv online "

They are not allen same. You can't get candy crush on Windows lol

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

[Removed by poster at 23/03/13 17:35:02]

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

Sony Xperia,android operating system,gives bazzilions of apps,plus fantastic camera,it's the dogs bollox of phones.

The Xperia's major advantage over the Iphone is,when making phone calls,you can actually hear what the person on the other end is saying.

WOW!!! I hear you iPhone people say,coherent conversations on a mobile phone,it can't be true,it's the work of Satan.

No,it's simply the genius of Sony.;-)

» Add a new message to this topic