FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > 20mph speed limits in Wales

20mph speed limits in Wales

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ach139 OP   TV/TS 28 weeks ago

liverpool

Just wondering if this is putting anyone off riding/driving through Wales I was there a few weeks ago and hit a long stretch of 20mph limit I'm not speed merchant but it was difficult to keep to it especially as it was quite an open road with nothing around ie schools shops etc.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atnip make me purrWoman 28 weeks ago

Reading

[Removed by poster at 19/03/24 09:44:42]

By *wistntwirlCouple 28 weeks ago

Middle Land

I drove through France last year with similar speed limits. Wasn't an issue.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 28 weeks ago

Central

You just have to grin and bare it.

By *assy69Man 28 weeks ago

West Sussex and Wales

Have been dealing with it for a while now there, have gotten used to it and just plan my journeys now to take it into account.

The period of “a stern talking to” is now over and the police say they will be enforcing the limit and issuing fines etc, so just be aware

Middle Land

It is a worry though if people feel unable to drive at 20. How do you cope at 70?

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 28 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I think you’ll find those signs they put up are only advisory, as the saying goes, when the road is clear just give it another gear.

By *ot - CoupleCouple 28 weeks ago

Glasgow

Put your cruise control on and it's not a problem. Or drive in a lower gear.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 28 weeks ago

Cumbria

Wouldn’t put me off at all, it’s not exactly a massive inconvenience.

By (user no longer on site) 28 weeks ago

"I think you’ll find those signs they put up are only advisory, as the saying goes, when the road is clear just give it another gear. "

And keep some money aside to pay the fines and for public transport when you lose your licence

By *ost SockMan 28 weeks ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"Just wondering if this is putting anyone off riding/driving through Wales I was there a few weeks ago and hit a long stretch of 20mph limit I'm not speed merchant but it was difficult to keep to it especially as it was quite an open road with nothing around ie schools shops etc."

There’s plenty of 20mph zones all over the place in England too. Doesn’t put me off going there. I drive abroad a lot becauseof family - I just respect the rules of that country .

I live in Cymru/Wales. There are bound to be places where 20mph isn’t great, but overall, I think it’s OK. The majority in my area are in places that pretty sensible. There are many villages I drive to where I think “how did I ever think 30mph was an appropriate speed to drive through here”.

Also - I drive to speed limits. If I can do 60mph, I’ll happily do it. Almost every single time (I’m recording it) I’ve been tailgaited by someone clearly angered I’m doing 20mph, I’ve seen them receed rapidly in my rear view mirror when I get to a 50/60mph zone. Wales has loads of people who drive 40-45mph whatever the limit.

Undoubtedly, there’s a lot of people angry about it, but there are more than you think who are OK with it. I’ve spoken with a lot of friends who’ve found it feels pretty normal and correct now in most zones they drive. I’ve certainly got used to it and, as I said, I’m no slow driver.

By *ymAndIcedCoffeeWoman 28 weeks ago

Worcester

Why would it put me off knowing that everyone is safer?

West Wales and Cardiff

I also think of the families who will still have loved ones with them due to the policy.

It may not be a huge number, but lives will ve saved.

I van go a little slower.

By *ullyMan 28 weeks ago

Near Clacton

Yet another nail in the coffin for Wales.

But I am getting really fed up with the constant schemes to extract more money from drivers. And to what end, there is no proof that lowering speed limits makes any difference to the environment, pollution or anything else, in fact a lot of the "experts" are saying a journey taking longer has the engines running longer therefore increasing pollution. Tests of air quality in London show absolutely no difference at all under these purely money grabbing schemes!! And the nobs, mp's and dictators are still driving round in massive fuel guzzling vehicles helicopters and jets while we are being forced to obey their whims and fancy ideas.

By *eneralKenobiMan 28 weeks ago

North Angus

I’ve had it introduced in my town on certain streets and it is a bugger as it’s a bit much for 2nd gear but too little for 3rd then those driving at 15 mph just need a slap

"Yet another nail in the coffin for Wales.

But I am getting really fed up with the constant schemes to extract more money from drivers. And to what end, there is no proof that lowering speed limits makes any difference to the environment, pollution or anything else, in fact a lot of the "experts" are saying a journey taking longer has the engines running longer therefore increasing pollution. Tests of air quality in London show absolutely no difference at all under these purely money grabbing schemes!! And the nobs, mp's and dictators are still driving round in massive fuel guzzling vehicles helicopters and jets while we are being forced to obey their whims and fancy ideas. "

Hitting someone at 20 does a Hell of a lot less damage than 30. That's the only proof needed really

Worcester

"

But I am getting really fed up with the constant schemes to extract more money from drivers."

Just think. If drivers didn't drive like bellends, they wouldn't have their money 'extracted' from them!

You too can beat the system by driving at the speed limit being saved and keeping all of your income to spend on whatever you want!

Fight the system by driving safely!

Cumbria

"I also think of the families who will still have loved ones with them due to the policy.

It may not be a huge number, but lives will ve saved.

I van go a little slower."

Thinking people’s lives are more important than our god given right to drive 10mph faster is just wokeness gone mad.

I sense the hand of George Soros and the WEF in this.

Cumbria

"

But I am getting really fed up with the constant schemes to extract more money from drivers.

Just think. If drivers didn't drive like bellends, they wouldn't have their money 'extracted' from them!

You too can beat the system by driving at the speed limit being saved and keeping all of your income to spend on whatever you want!

Fight the system by driving safely!"

Exactly this, it’s really easy to foil the plans of the evil state in their war on motorists.

Don’t break the law.

West Wales and Cardiff

"

But I am getting really fed up with the constant schemes to extract more money from drivers.

Fight the system by driving safely!"

It’s clear from the above that I’m OK with it overall. I stress overall. In fairness, it can be a bit tricky to stick to 20mph. I’ve found myself modifying my driving style a little.

An elderly lady told me the other day, her car “won’t do 20mph” and was ranting about the policy. I’ve seen her driving around all my adult life. I seriously doubt she’s ever gone above 45mph in that time .

By *ornucopiaMan 28 weeks ago

Bexley

"Put your cruise control on and it's not a problem. Or drive in a lower gear. "

If only driving in a lower gear was an efficient thing to do.

Bring back those 'evil' diesel gars that could deliver lots of power at low revs.

liverpool

Not sure how widespread these limits are just that the one I was in didn't seem to warrant a 20mph limit is this to effect the Welsh acconomy

Cumbria

"Not sure how widespread these limits are just that the one I was in didn't seem to warrant a 20mph limit is this to effect the Welsh acconomy "

Would it significantly effect the Welsh economy?

By *rcoupleCouple 28 weeks ago

Mid Glam

Living here tbh it's made marginal difference.

One of use does town and school run driving predominantly and its added maybe 20 seconds to a 5 minute journey.

The other a does a half hour commute mosyt NSl single dual with a few minutes town at either end.

No quibble some roads need adjusting but it was hadlt the end of days scenario peope felt it would be.

Our journeys are more impacted by the bin lorry, a farm vehicle and roadworks than than the " power mad, draconian, freedom crushing 20 mph Sennedd

"It is a worry though if people feel unable to drive at 20. How do you cope at 70?"

^ that. We had to swap cars a few weeks ago the the M had to stir the gear box and work the peddles in a manual for a change and managed just fine even though it's been nearly 5 years since he has. Still stalled it once a day.

The venn diagram of peope who brag about being a being a great driver and also Bragg about giving you a stellar mind blowing shag is almost a perfect circle from our experience

West Wales and Cardiff

"Not sure how widespread these limits are just that the one I was in didn't seem to warrant a 20mph limit is this to effect the Welsh acconomy "

They are the default in built-up areas, but councils can make exceptions.

If you have a policy for the whole of the country, there are bound to be some errors - you have to look at it overall. In my county, I think the vast majority are justifiable.

Yesterday, I went down a narrow rural road that does have houses on both sides. Someone had defaced every 20mph sign. You couldn’t do 30mph down there without serious risk to other drivers and people.

By *icolerobbieCouple 28 weeks ago

walsall

I just drive at 10-15 through them. I have not had a speeding ticket.

By *arlot o scaraWoman 28 weeks ago

Hell

A lot of the 20mph limits in Flintshire (where I’m from) and Wrexham have been set back to 30mph owing to increased congestion. It’s just the flavour of the week.

West Wales and Cardiff

"A lot of the 20mph limits in Flintshire (where I’m from) and Wrexham have been set back to 30mph owing to increased congestion. It’s just the flavour of the week. "

It will undoubtedly happen. Some areas did it better than others.

What’s the latest number - 12 roads in the county is the most I can see.

There’s zero reverting where I am atm.

Worcester

"

Fight the system by driving safely!

It’s clear from the above that I’m OK with it overall. I stress overall. In fairness, it can be a bit tricky to stick to 20mph. I’ve found myself modifying my driving style a little.

An elderly lady told me the other day, her car “won’t do 20mph” and was ranting about the policy. I’ve seen her driving around all my adult life. I seriously doubt she’s ever gone above 45mph in that time ."

To be fair I did used to have a shitty van that was very hard to drive at 20mph. But that was because second gear was utterly fucked and you couldn't actually get into it most of the time.

Maybe she should get her car fixed.

By *ldgeezermeMan 28 weeks ago

Newcastle

In the interest of safety I think anyone from Wales should only be allowed to access FS using a dial up modem

On the original point

If 20mph is safer then 10mph should be even saferer

By *ellhungvweMan 28 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"In the interest of safety I think anyone from Wales should only be allowed to access FS using a dial up modem

On the original point

If 20mph is safer then 10mph should be even saferer"

Zero is better. In fact going in reverse is probably safer - they should set the minimum speed limit to 70mph in reverse.

liverpool

[Removed by poster at 19/03/24 11:13:35]

By *2000ManMan 28 weeks ago

Worthing

I imagine constantly glancing at the speedo would be a problem with safety. Would pedestrians become less safety concious thinking traffic is "slow" so they do not have to pay much attention?

Middle Land

I'd imagine constantly glancing at the speedo would be even riskier at 60.

Cumbria

"I imagine constantly glancing at the speedo would be a problem with safety. Would pedestrians become less safety concious thinking traffic is "slow" so they do not have to pay much attention?"

Do you have to constantly look at the speedo when you are going 30mph?

By *igNick1381Man 28 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

"You just have to grin and bare it. "

What a cowardly view in life

And it's bear it, not bare it

Cumbria

"You just have to grin and bare it.

What a cowardly view in life

And it's bear it, not bare it "

Why is obeying the law cowardly?

walsall

"I imagine constantly glancing at the speedo would be a problem with safety. Would pedestrians become less safety concious thinking traffic is "slow" so they do not have to pay much attention?

Do you have to constantly look at the speedo when you are going 30mph?"

You do when those camera vans and camera motorbikes are hiding behind trees and buildings waiting to nab you.

Cumbria

"I imagine constantly glancing at the speedo would be a problem with safety. Would pedestrians become less safety concious thinking traffic is "slow" so they do not have to pay much attention?

You do when those camera vans and camera motorbikes are hiding behind trees and buildings waiting to nab you."

So you have to do it whatever speed you are going?

Worcester

"In the interest of safety I think anyone from Wales should only be allowed to access FS using a dial up modem

"

Are you ok fam?

You seem a little confused.

Happening all over the country

walsall

You do when those camera vans and camera motorbikes are hiding behind trees and buildings waiting to nab you.

So you have to do it whatever speed you are going?"

Yes, buts it much easier to fall foul of the law at a 20 speed limit than a 70 limit.

By *needabrewMan 28 weeks ago

the hills

Be lucky to do 20mph here. Saves any kids lives then it is worth any inconvenience to me.

Cumbria

Yes, buts it much easier to fall foul of the law at a 20 speed limit than a 70 limit."

Why? You’re still just observing the speed limit. If you’re engaged in driving and paying attention then there shouldn’t be an issue.

Surprised no one blamed it on all the sheep yet

By *ouples_EroticaXXXCouple 28 weeks ago

manchester

"Yet another nail in the coffin for Wales.

But I am getting really fed up with the constant schemes to extract more money from drivers. And to what end, there is no proof that lowering speed limits makes any difference to the environment, pollution or anything else, in fact a lot of the "experts" are saying a journey taking longer has the engines running longer therefore increasing pollution. Tests of air quality in London show absolutely no difference at all under these purely money grabbing schemes!! And the nobs, mp's and dictators are still driving round in massive fuel guzzling vehicles helicopters and jets while we are being forced to obey their whims and fancy ideas. "

Filed under jackanory.

By *rcoupleCouple 28 weeks ago

Mid Glam

"I'd imagine constantly glancing at the speedo would be even riskier at 60."

Inded so many drivers seem to be unablle to judge their speed or hold a steady 20mp.. should they be driving?

I can assure you the soft squishy human does not come off well in an RTA even at 20 mph. At 40 its a 90% chance if it being fatal.

walsall

Yes, buts it much easier to fall foul of the law at a 20 speed limit than a 70 limit.

Why? You’re still just observing the speed limit. If you’re engaged in driving and paying attention then there shouldn’t be an issue."

At 70 you have 9mph leeway before prosecution. At 20 you only have 4mph leeway.

Easier to notice your speed creep by 9 as opposed to 4.

If you blacked out your speedo would you be able to estimate 20-24 or would you need to check? If the consequences were £100 and 3 points would you guess or check?

By *emorefridaCouple 28 weeks ago

La la land

Live in Wales so I have to go through 20 mph zones constantly. It has not made a noticeable difference to my daily commute into and out of work.

And last time I crossed the bridge over to England, imagine my shock to find you also have loads of them. Plus your low emission zones (we don't have those here in Wales,yet). But funnily enough you don't see the Welsh proclaiming that they are going to ruin the economy. Seems like something for the Tories to rant about to distract people from actual issues in my opinion.

Cumbria

Why? You’re still just observing the speed limit. If you’re engaged in driving and paying attention then there shouldn’t be an issue.

If you blacked out your speedo would you be able to estimate 20-24 or would you need to check? If the consequences were £100 and 3 points would you guess or check?"

I’d check whatever the speed limit, I one of those really dull people who obeys the law when it comes to speeding, especially at lower speeds but tbf that’s more because I don’t want to kill people. I find it pretty easy if I’m honest.

walsall

If you blacked out your speedo would you be able to estimate 20-24 or would you need to check? If the consequences were £100 and 3 points would you guess or check?

I’d check whatever the speed limit, I one of those really dull people who obeys the law when it comes to speeding, especially at lower speeds but tbf that’s more because I don’t want to kill people. I find it pretty easy if I’m honest. "

Yes, it’s a good way to be. I also drive within the limits.

I can admit there have been times that I’ve looked at my speedo only to notice the speed has crept up slightly without me realising, I adjust it accordingly. I’m sure this has happened to you as well as pretty much every motorist?

By *arlot o scaraWoman 28 weeks ago

Hell

"A lot of the 20mph limits in Flintshire (where I’m from) and Wrexham have been set back to 30mph owing to increased congestion. It’s just the flavour of the week.

It will undoubtedly happen. Some areas did it better than others.

What’s the latest number - 12 roads in the county is the most I can see.

There’s zero reverting where I am atm.

"

Pass on the official number I’m afraid, but it seems to be going up. I live in England now, where the number of 20mph roads seem to be steadily increasing. I wonder how long it will be until we follow suit

By *eneralKenobiMan 28 weeks ago

North Angus

Question, in Wales are there green and red 20mph zones. We have those most areas are green which I assume to mean “it’s advisable to go 20mph and Red meaning “Stick to the speed limit of 20mph dickhead”

I may be paraphrasing

Middle Land

Be a lot simpler if they switched to kmph.

The Welsh could enjoy driving at 30 again then and we'd all be a little safer. Win win.

walsall

"Be a lot simpler if they switched to kmph.

The Welsh could enjoy driving at 30 again then and we'd all be a little safer. Win win."

A bit like turning the amplifiers up to 11……

By *ogerBottomsMan 28 weeks ago

Aberdare

"Just wondering if this is putting anyone off riding/driving through Wales I was there a few weeks ago and hit a long stretch of 20mph limit I'm not speed merchant but it was difficult to keep to it especially as it was quite an open road with nothing around ie schools shops etc."

I live in Wales and I found I got used to it so quickly that when I went to visit my mum in England, doing 30 through a housing estate felt actively dangerous. I could sense how much more damage would be caused if I hit anything or anyone. Something to remember is that it's not a blanket limit. There are still plenty of 30/40/50/60 areas. What annoys me most is people sticking to 20 everywhere without looking at the signs. There's a 30 stretch past Mountain Ash that a lot of drivers assume is 20.

Aberdare

"At 70 you have 9mph leeway before prosecution. At 20 you only have 4mph leeway.

"

It's at the coppers' discretion. They can still do you at 1mph over if they want to. The 10% plus 2mph is a guideline. At the moment in Wales, as I understand it, they're doing 10% plus 4mph while people get used to it, so you'd need to be doing over 26 to get your collar felt.

Aberdare

"A bit like turning the amplifiers up to 11…… "

Thank you Nigel Tufnel.

By *eavilMan 28 weeks ago

Stalybridge

Does the 20mph limit in Wales mean that people drive more Caerphilly?

Cumbria

"Does the 20mph limit in Wales mean that people drive more Caerphilly?"

Bravo!

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan 28 weeks ago

Is there any truck drivers on ? How do they cope doing 20mph ? When the temporary 50mph cameras are on the motorways I don't think I have seen any trucks doing 50mph and have to keep moving out the way as they get so close to me while I'm doing 50mph

West Wales and Cardiff

"Just wondering if this is putting anyone off riding/driving through Wales I was there a few weeks ago and hit a long stretch of 20mph limit I'm not speed merchant but it was difficult to keep to it especially as it was quite an open road with nothing around ie schools shops etc.

I live in Wales and I found I got used to it so quickly that when I went to visit my mum in England, doing 30 through a housing estate felt actively dangerous. I could sense how much more damage would be caused if I hit anything or anyone. Something to remember is that it's not a blanket limit. There are still plenty of 30/40/50/60 areas. What annoys me most is people sticking to 20 everywhere without looking at the signs. There's a 30 stretch past Mountain Ash that a lot of drivers assume is 20. "

I absolutely agree with you regarding 30mph now seeming too fast in many instances when in England.

West Wales and Cardiff

"Live in Wales so I have to go through 20 mph zones constantly. It has not made a noticeable difference to my daily commute into and out of work.

And last time I crossed the bridge over to England, imagine my shock to find you also have loads of them. Plus your low emission zones (we don't have those here in Wales,yet). But funnily enough you don't see the Welsh proclaiming that they are going to ruin the economy. Seems like something for the Tories to rant about to distract people from actual issues in my opinion. "

As with many other issues, there’s an underlying almost “colonial” mindset amongst some critics - it’s not really about 20mph; it’s about Wales having the temerity to do something different.

By *red333Man 28 weeks ago

Dorchester

Lets just walk everywhere, no fines, no speeding tickets, no speed awareness courses, no court and healthier

By *emorefridaCouple 28 weeks ago

La la land

"Live in Wales so I have to go through 20 mph zones constantly. It has not made a noticeable difference to my daily commute into and out of work.

And last time I crossed the bridge over to England, imagine my shock to find you also have loads of them. Plus your low emission zones (we don't have those here in Wales,yet). But funnily enough you don't see the Welsh proclaiming that they are going to ruin the economy. Seems like something for the Tories to rant about to distract people from actual issues in my opinion.

As with many other issues, there’s an underlying almost “colonial” mindset amongst some critics - it’s not really about 20mph; it’s about Wales having the temerity to do something different."

I think you may enjoy the comic Robin Morgan's dealing with a 20 mph heckler

By *esthetic21Man 28 weeks ago

Birmingham/Bristol

my cruise control won't work at 20mph

I live in Kent but work mostly in Lambeth & Southwark so from Greenwich onwards its 20mph which I follow as I drive a company vehicle. A large chunk of vehicles don't follow the 20mph anyway and simply slow down when they spot a speed camera. I've been driving 20mph and even buses shoot past me regularly.

West Wales and Cardiff

As with many other issues, there’s an underlying almost “colonial” mindset amongst some critics - it’s not really about 20mph; it’s about Wales having the temerity to do something different.

I think you may enjoy the comic Robin Morgan's dealing with a 20 mph heckler "

Ha - briiliant!

Diolch yn fawr

IF it saves lives

It must surely

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 28 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

To be fair, the last time I visited Wales the standard of driving was such that I think 20mph is probably too high.

Dorchester

"I live in Kent but work mostly in Lambeth & Southwark so from Greenwich onwards its 20mph which I follow as I drive a company vehicle. A large chunk of vehicles don't follow the 20mph anyway and simply slow down when they spot a speed camera. I've been driving 20mph and even buses shoot past me regularly."
But don't you think its very difficult to keep a van say for example laiden with weight to 20mph i mean especially on a hill i tried this recently and it was a nightmare took my eye off it for a second up to 30mph, it may save lives but i think its more about making money, i mean at 3.30pm the schools are shut but the limit remains

Now cars stop faster than ever before and are designed with pedestrian safety and lower emissions in mind, why are speed limits going down?

How much safety do we need!?

By *ellhungvweMan 28 weeks ago

Cheltenham

"I live in Kent but work mostly in Lambeth & Southwark so from Greenwich onwards its 20mph which I follow as I drive a company vehicle. A large chunk of vehicles don't follow the 20mph anyway and simply slow down when they spot a speed camera. I've been driving 20mph and even buses shoot past me regularly.But don't you think its very difficult to keep a van say for example laiden with weight to 20mph i mean especially on a hill i tried this recently and it was a nightmare took my eye off it for a second up to 30mph, it may save lives but i think its more about making money, i mean at 3.30pm the schools are shut but the limit remains "

I am not a fan of the 20 limit but if you can’t keep a van under control to a specific speed then doesn’t that suggest you have an issue?

Basically you are saying your van is too heavy for its brakes and it gets away from you downhill. That doesn’t sound awesome.

By *agnar73Man 28 weeks ago

Glasgow

Got ‘twenty’s plenty’ in our area and I try to keep to it.

Always amazed at those that go foot down in residential areas as it’s absolutely pointless.

By *razytimesinloveCouple 28 weeks ago

SW Scotland

Plenty of villages round the borders are 20 zones, does feel very odd going from 60 to 20

Aberdare

"Now cars stop faster than ever before and are designed with pedestrian safety and lower emissions in mind, why are speed limits going down?

How much safety do we need!?

"

Cars stop faster if the driver uses the brakes. That's the variable. The driver.

Aberdare

"A lot of the 20mph limits in Flintshire (where I’m from) and Wrexham have been set back to 30mph owing to increased congestion. It’s just the flavour of the week. "

Some 20 zones will change back if the lower speed limit isn't necessary, following monitoring by local authorities and consultation. That's always been part of the plan.

Aberdare

"my cruise control won't work at 20mph"

My cruise control takes a size 9 shoe. It can keep to 20 just fine. If in doubt, use second gear.

Dorchester

"I live in Kent but work mostly in Lambeth & Southwark so from Greenwich onwards its 20mph which I follow as I drive a company vehicle. A large chunk of vehicles don't follow the 20mph anyway and simply slow down when they spot a speed camera. I've been driving 20mph and even buses shoot past me regularly.But don't you think its very difficult to keep a van say for example laiden with weight to 20mph i mean especially on a hill i tried this recently and it was a nightmare took my eye off it for a second up to 30mph, it may save lives but i think its more about making money, i mean at 3.30pm the schools are shut but the limit remains

I am not a fan of the 20 limit but if you can’t keep a van under control to a specific speed then doesn’t that suggest you have an issue?

Basically you are saying your van is too heavy for its brakes and it gets away from you downhill. That doesn’t sound awesome."

The velocity of the van is increased by its mass so therefore it increases speed naturally on a hill and you have to watch the road it only takes a few seconds to be over that limit in fact any limit and you are speeding, the scenery, the other distractions like work ringing you on your hands free mobile all play a part, i tried to set the speed restrictor via the satnav so that i couldn't ever go over the limit but it wasn't easy and i gave up, oh and I've never had an accident or a claim against my insurance

Dorchester

So in answer to your question Op yes i wouldn't ever drive in Wales if roads were restricted to 20mph

By *midnight-Woman 28 weeks ago

I live in a 20 zone (uk) so I'm used to going s-l-o-w-l-y

By *a LunaWoman 28 weeks ago

South

I’ve adjusted, the road near me that had 4 different speed limits within a few metres of each other still tests my nerves, but it’s alright.

I use the motorway more now if I want to get to somewhere quickly.

West Wales and Cardiff

"So in answer to your question Op yes i wouldn't ever drive in Wales if roads were restricted to 20mph "

Just aa well there’s no 20mph zones in England then…

Oh

Bexley

"my cruise control won't work at 20mph

My cruise control takes a size 9 shoe. It can keep to 20 just fine. If in doubt, use second gear. "

I bet the petrol companies love it when they see people giving advice to drive around in a lower gear!

By *elshcouple4000Couple 28 weeks ago

Cardiff

Easier for flashing lol

Most drivers where I live seem to ignore them.

Dorchester

"So in answer to your question Op yes i wouldn't ever drive in Wales if roads were restricted to 20mph

Just aa well there’s no 20mph zones in England then…

Oh "

Their are but just where schools are, the only ones I've noticed so far

By *harziMan 28 weeks ago

Merseyside

i used to go to llangollen regular, but i am defo reluctant to go anymore.

By *harziMan 28 weeks ago

Merseyside

Who ever brought 20 miles per hour zone out, wants putting before a firering squad.

Dorchester

"Who ever brought 20 miles per hour zone out, wants putting before a firering squad. "
Its about money, its not about safety, speeding etc big money so they use the law to collect it

By *dmundwilsonMan 28 weeks ago

Llandudno

Cutting road accidents vibrations and pollution Drakeford is a hero for doing the right . Not a popularist, a man of integrity.,

By *rLordMan 28 weeks ago

Swadlincote

Thin end of the wedge, reducing speed limits for safety or air quality. Soon they will have you on buses paying by card so they know where you are or go.

By *dmundwilsonMan 28 weeks ago

Llandudno

"Thin end of the wedge, reducing speed limits for safety or air quality. Soon they will have you on buses paying by card so they know where you are or go."

This is the fallacy of the slippery slope.

I’m just glad roads are safer

Cumbria

"Who ever brought 20 miles per hour zone out, wants putting before a firering squad. Its about money, its not about safety, speeding etc big money so they use the law to collect it "

There’s a very easy way to make sure they don’t get money though.

Middle Land

"Thin end of the wedge, reducing speed limits for safety or air quality. Soon they will have you on buses paying by card so they know where you are or go."

Yeah they'll never know where you are in a car.

Not like it's registered in your name with big identifying letters on the front and back with cameras everywhere. And I shudder to think of what will happen if we have to pay for fuel with a card

Dorchester

"Who ever brought 20 miles per hour zone out, wants putting before a firering squad. Its about money, its not about safety, speeding etc big money so they use the law to collect it

There’s a very easy way to make sure they don’t get money though."

Freedom of the road comes to mind but freedom is something we just don't have anymore, what is the point of driving, I'm gonna go by train from now on, its so much better for the environment and you don't have to concentrate you can just enjoy the view

Middle Land

"Who ever brought 20 miles per hour zone out, wants putting before a firering squad. Its about money, its not about safety, speeding etc big money so they use the law to collect it

There’s a very easy way to make sure they don’t get money though.Freedom of the road comes to mind but freedom is something we just don't have anymore, what is the point of driving, I'm gonna go by train from now on, its so much better for the environment and you don't have to concentrate you can just enjoy the view "

Providing they're not on strike and you can get a seat.

By *ts the taking part thatMan 28 weeks ago

southampton

"I drove through France last year with similar speed limits. Wasn't an issue."

It's not just small rural villages in Wales, nothing like French roads & rules.

By *ts the taking part thatMan 28 weeks ago

southampton

"It is a worry though if people feel unable to drive at 20. How do you cope at 70?"

We can all drive at 20mph but it's neither necessary unless by schools etc or environmentally beneficial.

It's not about safety, it's about trying to make driving unattractive yet there is so little public transport in the right place at the right time.

By * and R cple4Couple 28 weeks ago

swansea

I don't know what the big problem is we use these roads on a daily basis and have no issues.

At the start some of the roads that were made 20 shouldn't have been and that was corrected.

It only adds minutes onto a journey maybe if people stuck to the speed limits to start with it wouldn't have been a issue.

What this has shown me is that some people lack patience and if your that much in a rush then leave earlier.. It's really not that hard

By *empest2KMan 28 weeks ago

Derby

"Thin end of the wedge, reducing speed limits for safety or air quality. Soon they will have you on buses paying by card so they know where you are or go.

Yeah they'll never know where you are in a car.

Not like it's registered in your name with big identifying letters on the front and back with cameras everywhere. And I shudder to think of what will happen if we have to pay for fuel with a card "

Perish the thought!

Middle Land

"I drove through France last year with similar speed limits. Wasn't an issue.

It's not just small rural villages in Wales, nothing like French roads & rules. "

True. The limit is actually lower in France.

Incredible how they cope really. But then they are French and the French are known for wearing lighter shoes than we do over here which gives them an obvious advantage with managing the pedal.

By *orny PTMan 28 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Be lucky to do 20mph here. Saves any kids lives then it is worth any inconvenience to me. "

Learning the green cross code and not shoe gazing at their mobiles, as they cross the road would help too. Road safety applies to pedestrians too.

By *ad NannaWoman 28 weeks ago

East London

On our back roads we have speed humps that make being in an Uber quite uncomfortable at times.

I'd rather a lower speed limit, assuming everyone stuck to it.

Peterborough

I've never owned a car with cruise control.

As for driving slower, I got pulled over for doing 20 in a 30 at night, by a bored traffic plod., this was after passing an average speed zone at 30mph and passing parked cars and approaching a roundabout.

You just can't win.

Dorchester

There’s a very easy way to make sure they don’t get money though.Freedom of the road comes to mind but freedom is something we just don't have anymore, what is the point of driving, I'm gonna go by train from now on, its so much better for the environment and you don't have to concentrate you can just enjoy the view

Providing they're not on strike and you can get a seat."

i always get a seat

Dorchester

Driving used to be about the experience the freedom of the road the breeze in your hair and just enjoying it but now i just don't enjoy it, its all about money and accountability, i drive as little as possible these days. Why make sports cars whats the point you can't drive them to their potential waste of money lol

walsall

It's not just small rural villages in Wales, nothing like French roads & rules. "

50 kph in towns in France. That’s 31 mph.

120 & 130 kph on motorways. That’s 75 & 81.

Hardly slower.

By *anted by NightMan 28 weeks ago

Shangri-La

Cruise control is not recommended in urban areas where bicyclists, pedestrians and many other situations might require a stop, a change in speed or some sudden and unexpected change. Cruise control system is best used in relatively free-flowing traffic conditions, on faster routes such as motorways or A-roads, where you tend to drive faster at the same speed for many miles.

Middle Land

Hardly slower."

erm okay... and what would 30kph be?...

By *urreyfun38Couple 28 weeks ago

croydon

Think people should go and read the pacts report from 2018 about how little impact the 20 mph limit has on safety and injuries

Quite an eye opener about people and road usage

"Think people should go and read the pacts report from 2018 about how little impact the 20 mph limit has on safety and injuries

"

Careful you'll upset the Drakeford disciples.

By *batMan 28 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"erm okay... and what would 30kph be?."

The speed limit in Spanish towns. That's what 30kph would be.

Gbat

Middle Land

"Think people should go and read the pacts report from 2018 about how little impact the 20 mph limit has on safety and injuries

"

Have you read it?

Or the 2023 report on their website which found:

11% fewer casualties for reductions to 20mph in UK

18% fewer for 30kph in Europe

By *endalshaggersCouple 28 weeks ago

Kendal

"I’ve had it introduced in my town on certain streets and it is a bugger as it’s a bit much for 2nd gear but too little for 3rd then those driving at 15 mph just need a slap "

This indeed. Our town is horrendous for it to the point my husband is genuinely considering swapping the car for an automatic.

Peterborough

There’s a very easy way to make sure they don’t get money though.Freedom of the road comes to mind but freedom is something we just don't have anymore, what is the point of driving, I'm gonna go by train from now on, its so much better for the environment and you don't have to concentrate you can just enjoy the view

Providing they're not on strike and you can get a seat.i always get a seat "

This only works if the train goes to where you want to go. North South is easier than East-West, as the routes are similar to the motorways, ie to and from London or occasionally coast to coast, when going further north.

Beeching!!!

Bexley

A good way to get urban speed limits into perspective is to walk a journey which you would normally make by car. You will soon be counting the blessings afforded by motoring.

Even the speed increase offered by a bicycle is immense compared with laboriously moving one foot in front of the other to get somewhere without the benefit of even a single wheel.

My conversion from being a boy racer was was on the road from Crayford (not Damascus) when I walked a mile or so home after leaving my car for some work to be done on it. It was an education.

By *urreyfun38Couple 28 weeks ago

croydon

Have you read it?

"

Yes plus other reports that you can find as was bored one evening. But the one I raised was a long term whilst the others that you can find are over shorter periods

But as we all know you can look a figures and make them fit any answer you want depending on how you look at them.

But ultimately if 20 saves one persons life then it’s worth it.

The one big thing that I took from it was that the condition of the road made more difference to people’s speed than the signed speed limit.

Also if you read the reports it also notes that most pedestrians are struck at less than 20 even if the limit is 30.

There is also parts about the extra congestion created by 20 limits.

West Wales and Cardiff

I’ve just driving down a road on my town that I did think “blimey, 20mph will be hard here”. In the run up to the change.

It did feel slow the first couple of times. Today…… felt totally normal (and the car too close behind me was a disappearing fast behind me once it was back to 60mph),

Middle Land

Have you read it?

Yes plus other reports that you can find as was bored one evening. But the one I raised was a long term whilst the others that you can find are over shorter periods

But as we all know you can look a figures and make them fit any answer you want depending on how you look at them.

But ultimately if 20 saves one persons life then it’s worth it.

The one big thing that I took from it was that the condition of the road made more difference to people’s speed than the signed speed limit.

Also if you read the reports it also notes that most pedestrians are struck at less than 20 even if the limit is 30.

There is also parts about the extra congestion created by 20 limits.

"

Surely the more recent report has to be more long term than the one from six years ago?

Can't tell if you're in favour or not. Your first comment suggested a change to 20 was pointless as it had little impact. But your next comment is in favour if it saves only one life.

In terms of being struck at less than 20 would that be because at the moment of impact the vehicle was braking. If so the obvious question is whether a collision would have been avoided had they been braking from a lower speed.

As for road conditions being the more significant factor in slowing people down, perhaps that explains why authorities are leaving the potholes.

walsall

Hardly slower.

erm okay... and what would 30kph be?... "

I drive in France regularly. There’s not many 30 kph roads, although there are some. Maybe there’ll be more soon?

By *urious is the VoyeurMan 28 weeks ago

Rickmansworth

Not sure how much 20mph is affecting air quality but it can't be good.

If it wasn't so ill conceived people would be more accepting. The fact is ALL roads have become slower: 70 to 60, 60 to 50 and 50 to 40 etc

Went a couple of weeks ago, not sure how much attention i paid to the road during a 10 mile off the motorway drive...

Middle Land

Hardly slower.

I drive in France regularly. There’s not many 30 kph roads, although there are some. Maybe there’ll be more soon?"

There's loads! Not so much on the toll roads

[Removed by poster at 22/03/24 18:23:24]

"I live in Kent but work mostly in Lambeth & Southwark so from Greenwich onwards its 20mph which I follow as I drive a company vehicle. A large chunk of vehicles don't follow the 20mph anyway and simply slow down when they spot a speed camera. I've been driving 20mph and even buses shoot past me regularly.But don't you think its very difficult to keep a van say for example laiden with weight to 20mph i mean especially on a hill i tried this recently and it was a nightmare took my eye off it for a second up to 30mph, it may save lives but i think its more about making money, i mean at 3.30pm the schools are shut but the limit remains "

I don't carry a lot of weight so no, providing I stay in 2nd gear, I don't usually have an issue. Don't know what it will do to the van in the long-term but that's not my problem.

walsall

Hardly slower.

I drive in France regularly. There’s not many 30 kph roads, although there are some. Maybe there’ll be more soon?

There's loads! Not so much on the toll roads "

Like I said, I don’t see many. I don’t drive on toll roads either.

Most built up areas in France have a 50kph limit. Paris has introduced 30kph a couple of years or so ago but must other towns and cities don’t.

I’m sure there will be more in the future though.

Middle Land

Hardly slower.

There's loads! Not so much on the toll roads

Like I said, I don’t see many. I don’t drive on toll roads either.

Most built up areas in France have a 50kph limit. Paris has introduced 30kph a couple of years or so ago but must other towns and cities don’t.

I’m sure there will be more in the future though. "

I'm sure they have already. Like all the ones we drove through.

By *harziMan 25 weeks ago

Merseyside

agree round schools but the rest is pathetic. Put you off travelling to wales atall ,just makes the drive behind angry ,it will cause more accidents

By *hiteWitchXXXWoman 25 weeks ago

North Wales

I've gotten used to it now just plan my journey alittle earlier. Far more likely to kill someone at 30 miles and 20 so I keep telling myself that if time isnt on my side

By *9alMan 25 weeks ago

Bridgend

it is completely stupid it causes more accidents road rage & pollution but I think we are stuck with it

By (user no longer on site) 25 weeks ago

Devolved governments imposing unwanted law on their citizens? Again? It’s becoming a habit.

By (user no longer on site) 25 weeks ago

It takes me 15 minutes to cross the road to the shop which is only 50yards across the road the 20mph should only be forced if there is a school old people home. And hospitals after that it should be normal speed

By *batMan 25 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"Devolved governments imposing unwanted law on their citizens? Again? It’s becoming a habit."

Why is a devolved government any different from a Westminster government? Why are you singling them out?

There are quite a few people happy with the speed reduction too.

What “pattern” are you seeing with devolved legislation?

Of course you are quite welcome to comment, but as you’re from Bedford, do you really have that much skin in the game here?

Gbat

By *moothshaftMan 25 weeks ago

Coventry

Me and 5 others on motorbikes heading to Wales next weekend. We respect the new limit through the beautiful villages, and love this part of the UK.

Will be in Barmouth on Saturday night.

By *wistntwirlCouple 25 weeks ago

Middle Land

Having just spent a few days in North Wales I'm confident the majority of those moaning haven't experienced what they're complaining about.

Given the speeds of various vehicles/drivers and the nature of many of the roads it's a non issue. And it really isn't tricky to drive at 20. If you're finding it is - take the bus because you're not fit to drive.

» Add a new message to this topic