FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bristol Caravan Dwellers

Bristol Caravan Dwellers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 28 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Reports from Bristol, made famous by yobs throwing statues into the canal, that people who live in vehicles such as lorries and caravans has risen from a pre pandemic figure of about 150 to a new figure of over 800. But what has driven this influx of the traveller lifestyle. According to the Mayor of Bristol it is down to the cost of living crisis. Is this true? What's going on here guys. It's all over the news

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple 28 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Probably also no fault evictions and air bnb.

By *mmaleiaWoman 28 weeks ago

East Northamptonshire

I used to live in a truck, it’s the most amazing, liberating lifestyle, can you imagine going on holiday & never leaving your home? Unfortunately it does attract certain types of people, but there are normal people living in vans & boats up & down the country.

I got pregnant & was threatened social services would get involved if I didn’t move into a house, 20 years later & I'm desperate to do it again before I get too old, children don’t leave home in a hurry these days

By *ophieslutTV/TS 28 weeks ago

Central

I think the Mayor has got it right

By *ountry PeaksCouple 28 weeks ago

In The Surrey Hills

[Removed by poster at 18/03/24 16:40:17]

By *ountry PeaksCouple 28 weeks ago

In The Surrey Hills

"I used to live in a truck, it’s the most amazing, liberating lifestyle, can you imagine going on holiday & never leaving your home? Unfortunately it does attract certain types of people, but there are normal people living in vans & boats up & down the country.

I got pregnant & was threatened social services would get involved if I didn’t move into a house, 20 years later & I'm desperate to do it again before I get too old, children don’t leave home in a hurry these days "

You’re very lucky and hope you get to live with freedom again. It’s something we’ve discussed but as with most good things, real life is getting in the way presently. Doesn’t stop us looking and planning though… one day

By *wistntwirlCouple 28 weeks ago

Middle Land

Lack of facilities.

Too many vested interests. Anywhere they propose to provide some aires or similar gets objected to by local campsite owners etc.

By *bi HaiveMan 28 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Reports from Bristol, made famous by yobs throwing statues into the canal, that people who live in vehicles such as lorries and caravans has risen from a pre pandemic figure of about 150 to a new figure of over 800. But what has driven this influx of the traveller lifestyle. According to the Mayor of Bristol it is down to the cost of living crisis. Is this true? What's going on here guys. It's all over the news"

There's been a big community living in vans and caravans by IKEA for years.

The rising numbers are likely due to a lack of available housing, driven in the main by a multitude of developments of student accommodation where it would make sense to instead build social housing. The sheer number of new student flat builds is astonishing. It's also pushed up private rental rates in the area.

By *icecouple561Couple 28 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

There's a really interesting and very sad article on Sky news today about the housing situation in Hastings. I don't know how it's come to this...

By *sexman1Man 28 weeks ago

north oxfordshire

Firstly I do not see about social getting involved with children as there a lot in vans and on boats full time.

The other thing Facilities vans boats have them all in them.

I live in my motor home full time great life

By *layfullsamMan 28 weeks ago

Solihull

Noticed what looked like a canal narrow boat community and vans when in Oxfordshire the other day.

By *wistntwirlCouple 28 weeks ago

Middle Land

"Reports from Bristol, made famous by yobs throwing statues into the canal, that people who live in vehicles such as lorries and caravans has risen from a pre pandemic figure of about 150 to a new figure of over 800. But what has driven this influx of the traveller lifestyle. According to the Mayor of Bristol it is down to the cost of living crisis. Is this true? What's going on here guys. It's all over the news

There's been a big community living in vans and caravans by IKEA for years.

The rising numbers are likely due to a lack of available housing, driven in the main by a multitude of developments of student accommodation where it would make sense to instead build social housing. The sheer number of new student flat builds is astonishing. It's also pushed up private rental rates in the area. "

Student accommodation has become a very nice earner these days.

Quite disgusting really.

By *batMan 28 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Before I moved to Spain full time, I would spend about three months every winter travelling across Spain, Portugal, Morocco. Fantastic times and I look forward to going again when I get my new van.

Gbat

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 28 weeks ago

Hastings

"There's a really interesting and very sad article on Sky news today about the housing situation in Hastings. I don't know how it's come to this..."

It not that hard to work out councils sold lots of property cheep under the right to buy that was the first big mistake.

Then they struggled to run the housing they had so it was given to Housing Associations I work for a company that in turn works for Southern Housings and we all the problems. From Damp to over crowding to under occupancy where one person is in a 3 bed house.

But the state of a lot of the housing stock is old and damp..

It's not very good on the hole.

But thank for bringing the sky news to my attention. But it is what it is now.

By *reudian_slipsMan 24 weeks ago

Bristol

There are lots in Bristol, probably a mix of cost of living crisis and crazy rents/house prices here. Possibly for a few it’s a lifestyle choice, but I think that’s the minority. I met one guy at a party who lived in a van on the downs he said it was because he couldn’t afford anywhere in Bristol close to his daughter

By *arla SwingerWoman 24 weeks ago

Somewhere

"There's a really interesting and very sad article on Sky news today about the housing situation in Hastings. I don't know how it's come to this...

It not that hard to work out councils sold lots of property cheep under the right to buy that was the first big mistake.

Then they struggled to run the housing they had so it was given to Housing Associations I work for a company that in turn works for Southern Housings and we all the problems. From Damp to over crowding to under occupancy where one person is in a 3 bed house.

But the state of a lot of the housing stock is old and damp..

It's not very good on the hole.

But thank for bringing the sky news to my attention. But it is what it is now."

I live in an under occupied 3 bed. I tried downsizing and was told there were no 2 beds available due to the bedroom tax. So I'm essentially rattling about in a house that's well beyond my needs because there isn't anywhere else for me to go.

» Add a new message to this topic