FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dilemma

Dilemma

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I jump on the train to work at the point of origin and take a seat ready for departure . Six stations later the train is packed , standing room only. The next station more people get on and among them are two blind ladies (one of whom is elderly) and a pregnant lady . Nobody else moves but i know that i am going to have to give up my seat . So who in your opinion is more deserving ? The blind lady, the elderly blind lady or the pregnant woman?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This sounds like one of those personality tests 'who would you throw out of a hot air balloon/give your parachute to' etc

Its a true story . So who should it be?

By *tressfreeMan  over a year ago

Towcester

Elderly blind or pregnant...let them decide, personally I think a young pregnant girl should be ok standing over a frail elderly person

depends which one looks frail and unsteady on her feet.. but find that shocking if you were the only one to offer a seat

tbh its first come first serve with these. just ask the closest to you and be proud of being a gentleman

Let them fight it out

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

The pregnant woman, the blind ladies wouldn't be able to find the seat

Has to be the closest, but you could tell all three then take bets on who is the fastest

I've also been in a similar situation on a bus. I got up offered my seat to the lady, while her husband had to stand. I then asked a young kid if he would like to offer his seat to the elderly gentleman. He did but with a lot of grumbling and muttering under his breath.. In fact there were quite a few ppl that muttered I was out of order because I asked someone to give their seat up. Not that I give a toss. If that were my parents or grandparents id like to think that someone would be respectful to them !!

Maybe I was out of order, but it wouldn't stop me doing it again.

Towcester

"depends which one looks frail and unsteady on her feet.. but find that shocking if you were the only one to offer a seat "
it is shocking but often is the case! Specially business men.

"but find that shocking if you were the only one to offer a seat "

It happens regularly on my trains . Full of fit healthy men and women who pretend not to notice and bury their heads in their phone/ipad/kindle.

"but find that shocking if you were the only one to offer a seat

It happens regularly on my trains . Full of fit healthy men and women who pretend not to notice and bury their heads in their phone/ipad/kindle."

What a sad and disrespectful world we live in!

Towcester

"but find that shocking if you were the only one to offer a seat

What a sad and disrespectful world we live in! "

I get accused of being old fashioned but was taught as a school boy to get up for my elders on a bus etc. I taught my kids to do it so they do it as well.. I'm proud of them.

I know some elderly think its their god given right to expect ppl to stand for them. Which is just as rude and disrespectful..

I guess the way of the world is changing our attitudes towards our fellow men. Its what happens I suppose.

We can't blame our younger generation because the way each of us grow up is totally different way of life. Its society that changes. I guess as a kid I wasn't knowledgeable of what our older generations went through and how tough it was. Its only now I'm older I do.

Life changes ppls morals, standards, duty to others etc its just moving with the times.

What's good for one, isn't always good for another..

Towcester

Sorry but that's giving up on what makes a 'good' society respect for each other makes it enjoyable. It works both ways, but the young would do well to consider those who need extra care. Whether we like it or not experience should be respected too.

I ain't giving up on nothing. I treat ppl as I would want to be treated.

You keep going on about how rude and disrespectful our young ones are but there are rude and disrespectful ppl from all bids of life.

Society today is different every year. Ppl have to move with the times and stick their head in a timewarp. We cannot and should not blame how shit our surroundings are on the youth of today. That's just being totally naive, disrespectful and judgemental to them.

ages*

By *ralb69Couple  over a year ago

wigan

If you gave me your seat Jangles I would let you sit on my knee anyway haha

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

Respect,and understanding,are so low in young people's priorities today.

if it's not all about them,they don't care.

On the other hand,some of them are very shaggable.

So Give the seat to the person who looks like they need it the most.

And if your after a shag call,07938545...... Lolxx

"If you gave me your seat Jangles I would let you sit on my knee anyway haha"

Haha.. thankyou kind sir

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

All three, i would give up my seat and in a loud voice ask who else is going to let the ladies sit down

"All three, i would give up my seat and in a loud voice ask who else is going to let the ladies sit down"

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I was on a bus once and a very frail gentleman got on the bus, was pregnant and the only one to give my seat up for him.They soon stood up to let me sit back down again

"I was on a bus once and a very frail gentleman got on the bus, was pregnant and the only one to give my seat up for him.They soon stood up to let me sit back down again"

He was pregnant? lol

"I was on a bus once and a very frail gentleman got on the bus, was pregnant and the only one to give my seat up for him.They soon stood up to let me sit back down again"

Same here no one else gave up there seat to an elderly lady so i offered min even tho I was heavily pregnant with my twins. I never got the curtsy of another seat offered though

Towcester

"I ain't giving up on nothing. I treat ppl as I would want to be treated.

You keep going on about how rude and disrespectful our young ones are but there are rude and disrespectful ppl from all bids of life.

Society today is different every year. Ppl have to move with the times and stick their head in a timewarp. We cannot and should not blame how shit our surroundings are on the youth of today. That's just being totally naive, disrespectful and judgemental to them."

i think you've assumed I only include the young in this! It seems you are saying as time moves on we should expect others to be less respectful. Would you rather be treated nicely or rudely?

Society today is different every year. Ppl have to move with the times and stick their head in a timewarp. We cannot and should not blame how shit our surroundings are on the youth of today. That's just being totally naive, disrespectful and judgemental to them.i think you've assumed I only include the young in this! It seems you are saying as time moves on we should expect others to be less respectful. Would you rather be treated nicely or rudely? "

Like I said.

I treat ppl as I would like to be treated myself!

If ppl are rude or disrespectful that's their issue not mine. I just don't make a huge fuss about it. Ppl like that are not worth my time or effort if honest. I just nod, smile and move on !!!

When i was heavily pregnant with my son ..on way back from hospital got on a bus that was packed with school children .Bus driver refused to move until someone let me and 2 other pregnant women sit down ...10 mins it took before we moved from bus stop

Towcester

"When i was heavily pregnant with my son ..on way back from hospital got on a bus that was packed with school children .Bus driver refused to move until someone let me and 2 other pregnant women sit down ...10 mins it took before we moved from bus stop"
just how it should be!!!!

Towcester

Society today is different every year. Ppl have to move with the times and stick their head in a timewarp. We cannot and should not blame how shit our surroundings are on the youth of today. That's just being totally naive, disrespectful and judgemental to them.i think you've assumed I only include the young in this! It seems you are saying as time moves on we should expect others to be less respectful. Would you rather be treated nicely or rudely?

Like I said.

If ppl are rude or disrespectful that's their issue not mine. I just don't make a huge fuss about it. Ppl like that are not worth my time or effort if honest. I just nod, smile and move on !!!"

that's why people are unpleasant, they're allowed to be.

By *rsIdiotWoman  over a year ago

Bedworth

I don't see why people should give up seats for pregnant women. It's pregnancy, not an illness or disability and it's their choice to become pregnant in the first place.

Now as for the elderly or disabled I do think you should offer your seat. Many times I have been travelliintoning on the bus and done so. Many times I have stood for most of my journey despite using a walking stick and a disabled travel permit myself.

Towcester

"I don't see why people should give up seats for pregnant women. It's pregnancy, not an illness or disability and it's their choice to become pregnant in the first place.

Now as for the elderly or disabled I do think you should offer your seat. Many times I have been travelliintoning on the bus and done so. Many times I have stood for most of my journey despite using a walking stick and a disabled travel permit myself. "

agreed, pregnancy isn't an illness but I believe it can be uncomfortable to stand for long periods. My ex was always grateful for the seat in the later weeks of pregnancy.

I always give up my seat for people who need it more and it's quite upsetting how shocked some people are that I've given my seat up for them. I was brought up properly, with respect for my elders, and I will bring my children up the same.

Although saying that, I rang the bell yesterday for an old lady who couldn't reach without risking falling, and she thanked her friend, no less than 4 times, and her friend didn't correct her! At least I know I did a good deed

Towcester

"I always give up my seat for people who need it more and it's quite upsetting how shocked some people are that I've given my seat up for them. I was brought up properly, with respect for my elders, and I will bring my children up the same.

Although saying that, I rang the bell yesterday for an old lady who couldn't reach without risking falling, and she thanked her friend, no less than 4 times, and her friend didn't correct her! At least I know I did a good deed "

I like your style

"I don't see why people should give up seats for pregnant women. It's pregnancy, not an illness or disability and it's their choice to become pregnant in the first place.

Now as for the elderly or disabled I do think you should offer your seat. Many times I have been travelliintoning on the bus and done so. Many times I have stood for most of my journey despite using a walking stick and a disabled travel permit myself. "

What like it's a choice to allow yourself to grow fat or old, or it was your fault that you got injured and lost your sight?

id get up and say well heres one place - anybody else gonna make another

"id get up and say well heres one place - anybody else gonna make another "

Exactly - I've been left to stand while carrying two sleeping babies on a train. Somebody turned over their suitcase for them to lie on which was nice. Often it only takes one person to make a gesture and shame others to do the same - though not always.

"Elderly blind or pregnant...let them decide, personally I think a young pregnant girl should be ok standing over a frail elderly person "

Round ligament pain is common in pregnancy, I had some mobility trouble myself and a friend was confined to a wheelchair for the last 4 months of both her pregnancies, so kind of blows your theory out of the water

i cant believe u just said that about prgenant woman if someone is noticely pregnant then chances are their balance is no longer good, their hips no longer steady and the fact that if they do fall could bring harm to the baby too!! so what if it was their choice!

if a guy on crutches came in, but was on crutches because he choose to jump off a 20ft wall while d*unk.. is that not his fault too? so does the same principle apply?

as for young ones respecting elders..

just cos someone is older or elderly doesnt mean they are frail or unable to stand.. i knwo plenty of older people who get offended when they are offered a seat just cos they are old.. being old doesnt make u useless

and just cos someone is younger doesnt mean they dont have problems that arent visable like a back problem!

so its not all about young ones having to show respect for elders.. jez

I would offer my seat first to the elderley blind lady - no question.

Now as for the elderly or disabled I do think you should offer your seat. Many times I have been travelliintoning on the bus and done so. Many times I have stood for most of my journey despite using a walking stick and a disabled travel permit myself.

i cant believe u just said that about prgenant woman if someone is noticely pregnant then chances are their balance is no longer good, their hips no longer steady and the fact that if they do fall could bring harm to the baby too!! so what if it was their choice!

if a guy on crutches came in, but was on crutches because he choose to jump off a 20ft wall while d*unk.. is that not his fault too? so does the same principle apply?"

Towcester

if a guy on crutches came in, but was on crutches because he choose to jump off a 20ft wall while d*unk.. is that not his fault too? so does the same principle apply?

"

i despair of how people are so elfin selfish

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Pregnant women are perfectly able and healthy. Likewise a blind person. Someone who is both blind and elderly is more vulnerable.

I was heavy pregnant with twins on a bus none gave up their seat for me,the swaying about of the buss made me feel quite light headed and sick and I end up passing out on the bus floor which delayed everyone and embarrassed me, I always give up my seat to anyone pregnant first now

I would have to be biased towards the pregnant lady if she was heavily pregnant, otherwise the elderly.

"Pregnant women are perfectly able and healthy. Likewise a blind person. Someone who is both blind and elderly is more vulnerable."

How can u say every pregnant woman and blind is healthy just cos they are young?

Also how can u say every elderly person is vulnerable just cos they are old?

That's just steroetyping..

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Pregnant women are perfectly able and healthy. Likewise a blind person. Someone who is both blind and elderly is more vulnerable.

How can u say every pregnant woman and blind is healthy just cos they are young?

That's just steroetyping.."

Some one who is blind and elderly isnt more vulnerable then? I dont see the logic in that at all, unless they are a ninja granny/grandad.

"Pregnant women are perfectly able and healthy. Likewise a blind person. Someone who is both blind and elderly is more vulnerable.

That's just steroetyping.."

Here's an example.. Someone I know is 5 months pregnant and she is only 23.. But she is epileptic.. So if she has a fit is not safer while sitting than standing? If she is standing and falls forward onto her belly...

I also know a guy who is 108, still lives at home and was completely independant until he was 104.. So when he was 80 he was still very able and fit to stand on a bus! So why should he take priority?

That's just steroetyping..Some one who is blind and elderly isnt more vulnerable then? I dont see the logic in that at all, unless they are a ninja granny/grandad."

There are a lot of older people who would be offended by the attitude that just cos they are old then they are now useless and vulnerable.. I'm just saying each case is individual and can't be based on age alone

Well if you're picking at bits I guess - how elderly, how blind and how pregnant?

I'll have a guess that if you offer it to one and the others felt they were less in need of it they'd offer it to another anyhow.

As for the whole 'she's pregnant, therefore she's healthy' argument, I'd like to think that most people would look to help somebody that needed assistance - people carrying heavy bags, people looking faint, women carrying a child - born or unborn... We've all been there, but sadly we've probably all experienced some of the selfish 'it's not my problem, sort yourself out' attitudes.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

my old Mum bless her brought us all up to give up our seats on buses etc for elderly people, pregnant ladies..

something we have passed on to our kids..

not being condescending or making assumptions about anyones 'ability' just see it as manners i suppose..

still do it now and hold doors open..

dont give it a seconds thought..

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I would just stand up and offer the nearest one and hope my example set others to offer the remaining 2

dirtybigbadsgirlville

That's just steroetyping..Some one who is blind and elderly isnt more vulnerable then? I dont see the logic in that at all, unless they are a ninja granny/grandad.

There are a lot of older people who would be offended by the attitude that just cos they are old then they are now useless and vulnerable.. I'm just saying each case is individual and can't be based on age alone"

Ok, split hairs as you seem so apt at doing, you certainly do have a bee in your bonnet, but tbh i think you are being extreme, so, for instance, should i not help an 86 year old with her shopping cause shes elderly then? Should i not put the bins out for my elderly neighbour then? Oh and when an elderly gent was signing the equity away on his house cause he thought the guy that tried to persuade him was " a gentleman" should i not have involved the vulnerable adults protection unit then? Your argument is flawed im afraid, now stay on your soapbox shouting stereotyping, i will continue to help these people out.....

"Well if you're picking at bits I guess - how elderly, how blind and how pregnant?

I'll have a guess that if you offer it to one and the others felt they were less in need of it they'd offer it to another anyhow.

As for the whole 'she's pregnant, therefore she's healthy' argument, I'd like to think that most people would look to help somebody that needed assistance - people carrying heavy bags, people looking faint, women carrying a child - born or unborn... We've all been there, but sadly we've probably all experienced some of the selfish 'it's not my problem, sort yourself out' attitudes."

Well said..

Reminds me of a few years ago, me and my friend took our kids to london zoo, we had kids aged 9, 4, 2, 1 and 2 months old. On the way home me and my friend had a pushchair each with the 2 youngest in, the 9 year old had the 4 and 2 year old by the hands. We got to the tube station, which was an old one, and no lift and the escalotor was broken! The stairs was just a twisty spiral staircase down and we stopped in our tracks thinking omg. It was start of rush hour and everyone was just streaming past us. All of a sudden and woman stopped and just shouted "omg aren't any of u men gonna help these ladies down with pushchairs!" I've never seen so many guys rush and grab the pushchairs and carry them down so fast lol

That's just steroetyping..Some one who is blind and elderly isnt more vulnerable then? I dont see the logic in that at all, unless they are a ninja granny/grandad.

There are a lot of older people who would be offended by the attitude that just cos they are old then they are now useless and vulnerable.. I'm just saying each case is individual and can't be based on age aloneOk, split hairs as you seem so apt at doing, you certainly do have a bee in your bonnet, but tbh i think you are being extreme, so, for instance, should i not help an 86 year old with her shopping cause shes elderly then? Should i not put the bins out for my elderly neighbour then? Oh and when an elderly gent was signing the equity away on his house cause he thought the guy that tried to persuade him was " a gentleman" should i not have involved the vulnerable adults protection unit then? Your argument is flawed im afraid, now stay on your soapbox shouting stereotyping, i will continue to help these people out..... "

Jez I said that u can't judge a persons vulnerability on age alone! That's what I've said and its hardly flawless!

dirtybigbadsgirlville

There are a lot of older people who would be offended by the attitude that just cos they are old then they are now useless and vulnerable.. I'm just saying each case is individual and can't be based on age aloneOk, split hairs as you seem so apt at doing, you certainly do have a bee in your bonnet, but tbh i think you are being extreme, so, for instance, should i not help an 86 year old with her shopping cause shes elderly then? Should i not put the bins out for my elderly neighbour then? Oh and when an elderly gent was signing the equity away on his house cause he thought the guy that tried to persuade him was " a gentleman" should i not have involved the vulnerable adults protection unit then? Your argument is flawed im afraid, now stay on your soapbox shouting stereotyping, i will continue to help these people out.....

Jez I said that u can't judge a persons vulnerability on age alone! That's what I've said and its hardly flawless!"

I did, so how are you supposed to judge it then.....leave an old guy stood up on the bus cause he looks fit for his age? How can YOU judge it then, id be very interested to know, i may learn something.

"Well if you're picking at bits I guess - how elderly, how blind and how pregnant?

As for the whole 'she's pregnant, therefore she's healthy' argument, I'd like to think that most people would look to help somebody that needed assistance - people carrying heavy bags, people looking faint, women carrying a child - born or unborn... We've all been there, but sadly we've probably all experienced some of the selfish 'it's not my problem, sort yourself out' attitudes.

Well said..

Reminds me of a few years ago, me and my friend took our kids to london zoo, we had kids aged 9, 4, 2, 1 and 2 months old. On the way home me and my friend had a pushchair each with the 2 youngest in, the 9 year old had the 4 and 2 year old by the hands. We got to the tube station, which was an old one, and no lift and the escalotor was broken! The stairs was just a twisty spiral staircase down and we stopped in our tracks thinking omg. It was start of rush hour and everyone was just streaming past us. All of a sudden and woman stopped and just shouted "omg aren't any of u men gonna help these ladies down with pushchairs!" I've never seen so many guys rush and grab the pushchairs and carry them down so fast lol"

Society today is different every year. Ppl have to move with the times and stick their head in a timewarp. We cannot and should not blame how shit our surroundings are on the youth of today. That's just being totally naive, disrespectful and judgemental to them.i think you've assumed I only include the young in this! It seems you are saying as time moves on we should expect others to be less respectful. Would you rather be treated nicely or rudely?

Like I said.

If ppl are rude or disrespectful that's their issue not mine. I just don't make a huge fuss about it. Ppl like that are not worth my time or effort if honest. I just nod, smile and move on !!! that's why people are unpleasant, they're allowed to be. "

Not at all. I couldn't careless what others do. That's their karma they are creating!

You cannot change ppl who don't want to change so why would I waste my time and effort spent on them when I can put all my energies to ppl I actually care about and love!

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Oh and BBB there is a huge difference between being vulnerable and being useless, i dont think the two go hand in hand.

I guess working with vulnerable adults I know that there is a lot of young vulnerable adults and from the outside you wouldn't think so!

Not extreme at all in my line of work..

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I guess working with vulnerable adults I know that there is a lot of young vulnerable adults and from the outside you wouldn't think so!

"

Funny that.....i do too.

"Oh and BBB there is a huge difference between being vulnerable and being useless, i dont think the two go hand in hand."

Just quoting what I hear elderly people say daily.. They hate being 'useless'

"I guess working with vulnerable adults I know that there is a lot of young vulnerable adults and from the outside you wouldn't think so!

Funny that.....i do too. "

So you know then that vulnerability isn't based on age alone..

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Oh and BBB there is a huge difference between being vulnerable and being useless, i dont think the two go hand in hand.

Just quoting what I hear elderly people say daily.. They hate being 'useless'"

Your argument will put people off ( some) from giving up a seat on the train in case they cause offense, maybe try another avenue of education, that isnt so aggresive.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Funny that.....i do too.

So you know then that vulnerability isn't based on age alone.. "

I do know that but you can also flip that and people will think someone is ok, if they "look" ok.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I think you have something to prove BBB, were you cheated on by an elderly partner? I hear what you are saying, but dont shout stereotyping and wotnot on a site like this when people judge all the time, its a fruitless exercise and energy would be better spent elsewhere like going for a brisk walk. Of which i am about to partake as i am going out to walk my canine companion.

"Oh and BBB there is a huge difference between being vulnerable and being useless, i dont think the two go hand in hand.

Just quoting what I hear elderly people say daily.. They hate being 'useless'Your argument will put people off ( some) from giving up a seat on the train in case they cause offense, maybe try another avenue of education, that isnt so aggresive. "

If I see someone I think needs a chair more than me, then I just get up.. I don't offer it to them, then when they see there is an empty seat they can make their own choice to sit there..

I wouldn't make a big show of it..

"I think you have something to prove BBB, were you cheated on by an elderly partner? I hear what you are saying, but dont shout stereotyping and wotnot on a site like this when people judge all the time, its a fruitless exercise and energy would be better spent elsewhere like going for a brisk walk. Of which i am about to partake as i am going out to walk my canine companion."

Cheated on by an elderly partner.. Erm no..

I was merely refering to the poster who said that the elderly need a seat more than the young and to the poster who said that it should go to the elderly blind person of course.. As if the fact they were older meant they needed it more than the other 2..

If that's not stereotyping I dunno what is

Putting who needs it more aside, I'd say an older person deserves is more. They've probably done more for the country than I have and paid more taxes, therefore are more deserving. I have a medical condition, which means I have a free bus pass and I don't feel guilty about sitting in a seat at the front of the bus. My condition isn't visible but could be dangerous if I'm stood on a bus. I'll always try and get a seat, but will always give it up to someone. It's manners and courtesy, not stereotyping or being judgmental. I hold doors open for people of all ages and both sexes. I say excuse me when I have to walk in front of people when they're looking at shop shelves. I pick things up if people drop them without realising.

I was brought up to respect the person, not the age.

"I say excuse me when I have to walk in front of people when they're looking at shop shelves. I pick things up if people drop them without realising.

I was brought up to respect the person, not the age."

Really annoys me when people walk in font of you while you're obviously looking at shelves - especially the staff!

I've taken to not moving at all now when people do the 'try and walk right through you thing' and I enjoy apologising to people who push in front of me for 'being in their way'.

"I say excuse me when I have to walk in front of people when they're looking at shop shelves. I pick things up if people drop them without realising.

I was brought up to respect the person, not the age.

Really annoys me when people walk in font of you while you're obviously looking at shelves - especially the staff!

I've taken to not moving at all now when people do the 'try and walk right through you thing' and I enjoy apologising to people who push in front of me for 'being in their way'."

I only do it when there's no room to go behind them or I need something near where they're looking. I always speed up when I walk in front too!

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

Ive always found London and the big city's to be the worst for people not giving up their seats to the more deserving or offering to carry a suitcase or pram on public transport. Last time i was in london, i got off a train and a woman was struggling to lift a pushchair up some stairs(no lift) and about 25 men walked past her and none offered until i did. The woman did make me laugh though because she shouted out to the rest of the men going past her, ' i bet your mother is proud of you letting a woman struggle up these stairs with a pushchair'

Towcester

"Ive always found London and the big city's to be the worst for people not giving up their seats to the more deserving or offering to carry a suitcase or pram on public transport. Last time i was in london, i got off a train and a woman was struggling to lift a pushchair up some stairs(no lift) and about 25 men walked past her and none offered until i did. The woman did make me laugh though because she shouted out to the rest of the men going past her, ' i bet your mother is proud of you letting a woman struggle up these stairs with a pushchair' "

It's the pace of life made people too self centred to give a hand to fellow human beings... I hate it

» Add a new message to this topic