FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Processed Foods

Processed Foods

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Yet another report this morning linking intake of processed foods - in this instant meat - and increase risk of heart disease and cancer.

It's interesting that when you look at the cheapest foods, mostly processed, these are the ones causing the nation's increasing health problems. It almost feels like we've conquered the old diseases and slowly we're replacing them with our own new ones.

How did we get here?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We got here because people want cheap , long shelf life crap food that tastes ok and is quick and easy to prepare .

Yep people want the processed stuff because its cheap and quick.

Tastes rubbish tho.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

i would guess threw greed mainly. end of the day most things these days boil down to money an life seems to be very cheap sadly

Laziness pure and simple that classic line.

"I can't be bothered to cook"

"Laziness pure and simple that classic line.

"

Have to agree with that one

If it didn't exist a few hundred years ago, its a product not food.

Why are supermarkets allowed to sell it? There's huge restrictions on cigarettes so why not junk food ?

It's affecting the poorest in our society too. I have to say though that my family didn't have much when we were boys growing up, but my mum cooked from scratch most of the time and used a local fruit and veg guy and a proper butchers. Lola and I have just carried this on.

When we decided to cut processed foods completely last year, we took the approach that ANYTHING in a packet had an imaginary skull and crossbones on the label.

It's worked for us!

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I think a lot of it is down to poor education. Yes it's cheap and we have to remember that a huge portion of society these days are really struggling to make ends meet, but it's a misconception that processed food is cheaper than cooking from scratch.

Better education would show people how to cook from scratch and that it is cheaper and much healthier to do so.

"I think a lot of it is down to poor education. Yes it's cheap and we have to remember that a huge portion of society these days are really struggling to make ends meet, but it's a misconception that processed food is cheaper than cooking from scratch.

Better education would show people how to cook from scratch and that it is cheaper and much healthier to do so. "

I get the point totally on education, but from whom. I'd like to think this starts at home. I was taught by my mother and could cook a roast by the age of eleven. As in all education, it has to be a partnership between parent and school x

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

My parents never taught me to cook, neither did school. We did a little cookery at school, but that was under Design and Technology, we didn't have home ec, or anything like that. I cooked a birthday cake once. Never taught to cook food.

Dinner at home was usually chips (deep fried) with some kind of 'meat' product, turkey drumsticks, sausages etc. When I moved down South, my housemates were horrified at some of the crap I ate. Tesco micro meals every day of the week, pot noodle at work etc.

They taught me to cook. Basic stuff, following a recipe off the internet, and then teaching me about spices and stuff, so I could adjust it to my own tastes.

I always thought ready meals were cheaper. I'm sat typing this eating a spicy beef pasta bake. Made it last night, cost £7 to buy the raw ingredients, made 8 meals. And I know whats in it, and it's made spicy enough even for me!!!

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I don't eat frozen meals, I don't eat cheap processed food.....however I do happily eat M&S ready meals that come with three or four days shelf life.

I also eat out at least twice a week

I have absolutely no desrire to spend hours making pies and stews from scratch anymore....been there done that.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I was brought up on home cooked food and I maintained that with my family over the years. Today I d say 80% is still cooked from scratch and may be made in batches so I dont have to cook every day. And cooking from scratch does not have to take long eg stir fries or soups.

I dont like and I dont buy processed foods.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"I don't eat frozen meals, I don't eat cheap processed food.....however I do happily eat M&S ready meals that come with three or four days shelf life.

I have absolutely no desrire to spend hours making pies and stews from scratch anymore....been there done that."

There was a survey on a programme on TV a while back that showed that quite a lot of the more expensive ranges of ready meal.. M&S, tesco finest etc contained more salt, sugar, fat etc than the cheaper value varieties. So people are spending more thinking they are getting better quality but that's not necessarily the case.

"My parents never taught me to cook, neither did school. We did a little cookery at school, but that was under Design and Technology, we didn't have home ec, or anything like that. I cooked a birthday cake once. Never taught to cook food.

Dinner at home was usually chips (deep fried) with some kind of 'meat' product, turkey drumsticks, sausages etc. When I moved down South, my housemates were horrified at some of the crap I ate. Tesco micro meals every day of the week, pot noodle at work etc.

They taught me to cook. Basic stuff, following a recipe off the internet, and then teaching me about spices and stuff, so I could adjust it to my own tastes.

I always thought ready meals were cheaper. I'm sat typing this eating a spicy beef pasta bake. Made it last night, cost £7 to buy the raw ingredients, made 8 meals. And I know whats in it, and it's made spicy enough even for me!!! "

That is a fantastic story. And good on ya for taking the plunge with cooking. Cooking in batches is the way to go.

Pasta bake - ooh lovely x

Shame I'm on a fasting day!

Torquay

"I don't eat frozen meals, I don't eat cheap processed food.....however I do happily eat M&S ready meals that come with three or four days shelf life.

I have absolutely no desrire to spend hours making pies and stews from scratch anymore....been there done that.

There was a survey on a programme on TV a while back that showed that quite a lot of the more expensive ranges of ready meal.. M&S, tesco finest etc contained more salt, sugar, fat etc than the cheaper value varieties. So people are spending more thinking they are getting better quality but that's not necessarily the case. "

I check the salt, fat and sugar contents of any meals I buy....the information is not hidden and I am happy to use this to evaluate my purchases and am delighted with my choices....

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

There was a survey on a programme on TV a while back that showed that quite a lot of the more expensive ranges of ready meal.. M&S, tesco finest etc contained more salt, sugar, fat etc than the cheaper value varieties. So people are spending more thinking they are getting better quality but that's not necessarily the case.

I check the salt, fat and sugar contents of any meals I buy....the information is not hidden and I am happy to use this to evaluate my purchases and am delighted with my choices....

"

That's good because a lot don't and assume that because your paying £4 for something instead of £2 that it will be healthier etc. people should be made more aware of labels. The traffic light system is implemented on a lot of food now which makes it even easier yet some still haven't a clue! Lol x

Torquay

The M&S ready meals I buy and eat contain no hydrogenated fats no artificial colourings, and no artificial flavours....

I am happy that the salt and sugar content they contain meet the standards I am looking for, I never fed my children ready meals or processed food when they were growing up and I am very happy with my diet these days.

"The M&S ready meals I buy and eat contain no hydrogenated fats no artificial colourings, and no artificial flavours....

I am happy that the salt and sugar content they contain meet the standards I am looking for, I never fed my children ready meals or processed food when they were growing up and I am very happy with my diet these days.

"

This morning's report didn't really mention the salt/sugar/fat content in processed food, which is normally the case. Instead, it held its hands up in a way and said they couldn't say conclusively why these foods were causing increased risks. Was it the nitrate content, the cheaper cut of meat used or just the plastic in the packaging; it was quite an honest study in that regard.

It's a hard one to tackle as processed food is such a new thing in our diets compare to say 150 years. We just don't know enough about it.

Torquay

As I said, I feel I am receiving all the information I require from M&S and am making an informed choice when I make my purchases....

I never eat meals that use 'reconstituted' meats, fish or poultry.

If others only want to cook from scratch then all power to them, it's their life.

There was a survey on a programme on TV a while back that showed that quite a lot of the more expensive ranges of ready meal.. M&S, tesco finest etc contained more salt, sugar, fat etc than the cheaper value varieties. So people are spending more thinking they are getting better quality but that's not necessarily the case. "

This was on a series on Beeb called The Men Who Made Us Fat.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Funnily enough the bacon we buy now is a lot better for us than bacon made in the old days. Thats because we have fridges, so they don't add as much potassium nitrate to preserve the meat as they used to. On the other hand as its cheaper now we eat more so its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Everything in moderation seems to be the key. I suspect the odd ready meal or sausage sandwich is fine. Its when we eat them every day we start having problems.

I like a mixture of foods like a salad for lunch and a fry up for tea. I cudnt eat only healthy or only junk food, i crave both. But i wudnt eat ready meals they are horrible. Im a good cook and always make my own meals. But i like a bit of kfc

"As I said, I feel I am receiving all the information I require from M&S and am making an informed choice when I make my purchases....

If others only want to cook from scratch then all power to them, it's their life."

You're absolutely right, it's all about the choices you make for yourself.

However, I think to trust the information on packaging written by a company whose sole aim is to sell you the product is naive. Sorry.

Torquay

"As I said, I feel I am receiving all the information I require from M&S and am making an informed choice when I make my purchases....

If others only want to cook from scratch then all power to them, it's their life.

However, I think to trust the information on packaging written by a company whose sole aim is to sell you the product is naive. Sorry.

"

People go on about a 'nanny state', what troubles me more than an interfering government is an interfering section of the population that assume that they know what is good for everyone else....

What ever happened to living your own life?

We are fast becoming a nation of curtain twitchers....

Torquay

And the smokers on the forum that lecture others on their health?....

"Laziness pure and simple that classic line.

"

People go on about a 'nanny state', what troubles me more than an interfering government is an interfering section of the population that assume that they know what is good for everyone else....

We are fast becoming a nation of curtain twitchers...."

Jane it's exactly what I'm not saying. You make your own choices in life in all things. Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ass what you eat or don't, my point is that the information should be more transparent.

I hope they keep putting loads of salt,fat,refined,sugar and loads and loads of transport fats in food, let's have a cull.

Torquay

We are fast becoming a nation of curtain twitchers....

Jane it's exactly what I'm not saying. You make your own choices in life in all things. Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ass what you eat or don't, my point is that the information should be more transparent. "

In the case of M&S it is very transparent....that's the point I'm making, that not all manufacturers/retailers are the same and not all should be tarred with the same brush.

"I hope they keep putting loads of salt,fat,refined,sugar and loads and loads of transport fats in food, let's have a cull. "

In the next twenty years we're gonna have one.

"Yet another report this morning linking intake of processed foods - in this instant meat - and increase risk of heart disease and cancer.

It's interesting that when you look at the cheapest foods, mostly processed, these are the ones causing the nation's increasing health problems. It almost feels like we've conquered the old diseases and slowly we're replacing them with our own new ones.

How did we get here?"

I don't think its old news that a healthy balanced diet is the best option. Its busy lives and wanting to do their things than cook make people choose precessed things. The supermarkets have a lot to answer on this.

"Yet another report this morning linking intake of processed foods - in this instant meat - and increase risk of heart disease and cancer.

How did we get here?

I don't think its old news that a healthy balanced diet is the best option. Its busy lives and wanting to do their things than cook make people choose precessed things. The supermarkets have a lot to answer on

this."

The supermarkets are there to make money at the end of the day the customer is in control of what they purchase. They can't put junk in your trolley. They can put temptation in front of you though.

I don't buy the busy lives thing cooking doesn't really take that long. Plenty of healthy things are quick and easy.

Balance is the key

If you eat processed food, then more fool you.

We get our meat and veg from butchers and farm shops plus grow our own, make meals from scratch etc. etc.

But.. we still like sausages, bacon, the odd pie, salami - all processed

"

I quite agree and the recent "horse trials" are a good example of how trustworthy food manufacturers can be.

How did we get here?

I don't think its old news that a healthy balanced diet is the best option. Its busy lives and wanting to do their things than cook make people choose precessed things. The supermarkets have a lot to answer on

this.

The supermarkets are there to make money at the end of the day the customer is in control of what they purchase. They can't put junk in your trolley. They can put temptation in front of you though.

I don't buy the busy lives thing cooking doesn't really take that long. Plenty of healthy things are quick and easy.

Balance is the key"

"We get our meat and veg from butchers and farm shops plus grow our own, make meals from scratch etc. etc.

But.. we still like sausages, bacon, the odd pie, salami - all processed "

I am not 100% cooking from scratch - I try whenever and wherever, following the old principle of doing the right thing 80% of the time allows you to get away with 20% of the other.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"

I am not 100% cooking from scratch - I try whenever and wherever, following the old principle of doing the right thing 80% of the time allows you to get away with 20% of the other. "

Sounds reasonable!

I think a lot of our move into processed food came following the greater pressure on more of us to have ever busier and more stressful lives. People working longer hours, further away from home, more people in the family working etc.

Couple this with a small no of very large corporations that control much of our food supply, where the focus is largely on profit, with limited regulation and there's a good recipe for people to pay ever decreasing attention to what we're consuming.

A bit like some kids in cities don't get to see real food growing, or any farm or wild animals etc, more and more of us could almost assume that food grows in convenience meal boxes, before being harvested and put on the shelves.

» Add a new message to this topic