FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should Christmas be totally abolished?

Should Christmas be totally abolished?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rucking-Hell OP   Man 38 weeks ago

Northampton

Just a yes/no

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site) 38 weeks ago

"Just a yes/no

Should Christmas be totally abolished?"

Are you killing off Jesus?

By *aptain Caveman41Man 38 weeks ago

Home

No absolutely not. Christmas is basically for children why would you do that to them.

By *JandJJCouple 38 weeks ago

Nuneaton

"Just a yes/no

Why?

By *ucka39Man 38 weeks ago

Newcastle

[Removed by poster at 25/12/23 23:05:24]

Northampton

"Just a yes/no

Why?"

Because I'm interested in the answers.

By *obilebottomMan 38 weeks ago

All over

And why would that be? Or more importantly who for? Whould you like it perhaps to be callemd winter bank holiday. The answer is no and would still be whether I do or don't believe. I am not selfish to demand 'abolishing' stuff just because might not be to my liking. Majority of people either believe or just like it for some reason.

What else would I have done on my day off today?

By *ervent_fervourMan 38 weeks ago

Halifax

"Just a yes/no

Are you killing off Jesus? "

It's happened before.

He keeps coming though..

By *inky_couple2020Couple 38 weeks ago

North West

"Just a yes/no

I think the Romans did that c.32AD!

By *partharmonyCouple 38 weeks ago

Ruislip

No.

Newcastle

Seriously would you rather work and not have a holiday it's a lovely way to end the year

By *avexxMan 38 weeks ago

cheshire

no never

By *atricia ParnelWoman 38 weeks ago

In a town full of colours

Nope

By *ervent_fervourMan 38 weeks ago

Halifax

There are good arguments for abolishing it however.

Spit em out OP, I can't be arsed.

Plus I have to finish the Sound of Music.

Newcastle

"Just a yes/no

Are you killing off Jesus?

I think the Romans did that c.32AD! "

So it's like celebrating the death and rising

By *ealMissShadyWoman 38 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

No, Christmas has different meanings to different people. Not everyone celebrates it to mark the the birth of Jesus.

By *naswingdressWoman 38 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

My answer requires more nuance than a simple yes/ no

By *illy IdolMan 38 weeks ago

Midlands

No

Northampton

"My answer requires more nuance than a simple yes/ no"

If there was a yes/no referendum, and you were forced by law to vote, which would you vote for?

Manchester (she/her)

"My answer requires more nuance than a simple yes/ no

If there was a yes/no referendum, and you were forced by law to vote, which would you vote for?

"

I'd spoil my ballot.

By *aitonelMan 38 weeks ago

Liverpool

Haha fuck your yes or no demands.

I refuse to play your games by narrowing it down to something as blunt and simple as that.

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman 38 weeks ago

Markfield

No

Manchester (she/her)

"Haha fuck your yes or no demands.

I refuse to play your games by narrowing it down to something as blunt and simple as that. "

yeah we've already found out what happens when we have a referendum on something poorly defined...

All over

"Just a yes/no

Why?

Because I'm interested in the answers."

Whatever your motives, most will day NO. Same for Easter by the way but we could wait for another poll nearer to the time if you like.

North West

I'd spoil my ballot."

Please do it the British way, either by drawing a cock & balls across the paper or by spilling your tea on it!

Manchester (she/her)

I'd spoil my ballot.

Please do it the British way, either by drawing a cock & balls across the paper or by spilling your tea on it! "

I've never understood informal voting in a system where voting is optional and it's so hard to fuck up

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 38 weeks ago

Manchester-ish

Interested in the yes/no answers with no reason why. Fair enough.

No.

J

By *mf123Man 38 weeks ago

with one foot out the door

"Just a yes/no

wait while easter at least

Manchester (she/her)

"Just a yes/no

Are you killing off Jesus? wait while easter at least "

Or we can think about the officials who tried to kill off all the babies and forced Mary and Joseph to become refugees...

North West

"Just a yes/no

Are you killing off Jesus? wait while easter at least

Or we can think about the officials who tried to kill off all the babies and forced Mary and Joseph to become refugees..."

There's limited/no evidence for Herod killing first borns! Do you think JC and co walked into Egypt or did they get in a small boat across the Red Sea?

North West

Note, JC probably didn't walk himself, I get that.

Manchester (she/her)

"Just a yes/no

Or we can think about the officials who tried to kill off all the babies and forced Mary and Joseph to become refugees...

There's limited/no evidence for Herod killing first borns! Do you think JC and co walked into Egypt or did they get in a small boat across the Red Sea?"

I'm talking about "if we take the story as read" - I think the evidence for Jesus is all but non-existent.

I just think it's interesting to think about how we talk about celebrating the gift and the life of Jesus... someone who despised the rich (eye of a camel), didn't want to mix religion and money (flipping tables), and was allegedly forced to flee... and yet we live in the political context we do.

By *lynJMan 38 weeks ago

Morden

"Just a yes/no

There's limited/no evidence for Herod killing first borns! Do you think JC and co walked into Egypt or did they get in a small boat across the Red Sea?"

They wouldn't have needed to cross the Red Sea. They could have travelled from Bethlehem across to the Mediterranean and along the coast into Egypt.

"Just a yes/no

Why?

Because it's religious? Expensive? You don't like it? You have to do it alone and it makes you miserable? Or you have to do it with people and you don't like it? Or them? Because you have to buy stuff for people? You don't get what you want and hate what you do get? Or you get nothing? Is it all the lights and crappy tinsel and trees? Or that you can't buy normal stuff because it goes out of stock to make room for Christmas lines? Because it makes your electric bill go up lighting the place up and roasting a bloody turkey and spuds? Do you not like Christmas dinner? Is it the food shop? Is it how busy everywhere gets and the traffic? Or do you not like wrapping presents? Do you hate being dictated to by whoever it that says we should do Christmas and hate the time money and effort you have to put in when you could just be productive in ways that benefits you more?

Simple yes or no answers to all them questions will do. I'm assuming you feel negative about Christmas because of how the question was phrased.

I bet I missed a few questions too.

Maybe I'll come back with more.

Do you think it should be abolished OP?

If we abolish Christmas does that mean we need to abolish Easter too?

Oh can you see how much damage this would do?

By *ddie1966Man 38 weeks ago

Paper Town Central, Essex.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

By *iss SinWoman 38 weeks ago

portchester

Yes

By *ddie1966Man 38 weeks ago

Paper Town Central, Essex.

Call me a masochist, but I kinda like the hassle of it all.

Finding the perfect present.

Locating the blown bulb.

Having to re paint the ceiling.

Playing the referee between estranged family members.

It's great.

By *imply DeeWoman 38 weeks ago

Wherever

Definitely not.

By *ikeSM23Man 38 weeks ago

Manchester

"No, Christmas has different meanings to different people. Not everyone celebrates it to mark the the birth of Jesus. "

I’m intrigued by your post….. could you elaborate on what different meanings there are for Xmas? Personally I’m a non-believer, but have always considered the 25th as singularly a major day in the Christian calendar.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan 38 weeks ago

St Leonards

Yes.

And then every day becomes Nickmas Day.

So you can all worship at the (slightly gnarly and cheesy) feet of your true overlord and master.

MWAH-HAH..

MWAH-HAH-HAA..

MWAH-HAH-HAA-HAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 38 weeks ago

Leeds

Nope

Mrs

By *JandJJCouple 38 weeks ago

Nuneaton

"No, Christmas has different meanings to different people. Not everyone celebrates it to mark the the birth of Jesus.

I’m intrigued by your post….. could you elaborate on what different meanings there are for Xmas? Personally I’m a non-believer, but have always considered the 25th as singularly a major day in the Christian calendar."

Excellent question and comments.

We are also interested in the answer.

By *ilfCrumpet9Man 38 weeks ago

Wirral

Nooooooooo

By *icecouple561Couple 38 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No

By *red333Man 38 weeks ago

Dorchester

On religious grounds yes on fun for everyone no

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"On religious grounds yes on fun for everyone no "

Cancel a religious festival on religious grounds? That would be an interesting discussion

Dorchester

"On religious grounds yes on fun for everyone no

Cancel a religious festival on religious grounds? That would be an interesting discussion "

you believe or you don't I'm afraid i don't "and jesus was resurrected from the dead"

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Cancel a religious festival on religious grounds? That would be an interesting discussion you believe or you don't I'm afraid i don't "and jesus was resurrected from the dead" "

The pedant in me wants to argue that if you don't believe you're not celebrating Christmas anyway, you're celebrating a mid winter festival of some sort.

By *aptain Caveman41Man 38 weeks ago

Home

Cancel a religious festival on religious grounds? That would be an interesting discussion you believe or you don't I'm afraid i don't "and jesus was resurrected from the dead" "

just cause you don't believe we should cancel it. Thank God not everyone acts like that having a tantrum if they don't get their own way

Dorchester

Cancel a religious festival on religious grounds? That would be an interesting discussion you believe or you don't I'm afraid i don't "and jesus was resurrected from the dead"

The pedant in me wants to argue that if you don't believe you're not celebrating Christmas anyway, you're celebrating a mid winter festival of some sort."

exactly

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Cancel a religious festival on religious grounds? That would be an interesting discussion you believe or you don't I'm afraid i don't "and jesus was resurrected from the dead"

The pedant in me wants to argue that if you don't believe you're not celebrating Christmas anyway, you're celebrating a mid winter festival of some sort.exactly "

We might as well just get on with doing what we do now then

Dorchester

Cancel a religious festival on religious grounds? That would be an interesting discussion you believe or you don't I'm afraid i don't "and jesus was resurrected from the dead" just cause you don't believe we should cancel it. Thank God not everyone acts like that having a tantrum if they don't get their own way "

i believe in the celebration not all the rubbish thats in the bible, for most intelligent people the bible is a bunch of exagerated stories that didn't take place "and he parted the waters of Gallilea"

Dorchester

The pedant in me wants to argue that if you don't believe you're not celebrating Christmas anyway, you're celebrating a mid winter festival of some sort.exactly

We might as well just get on with doing what we do now then "

Exactly we celebrate, most of us don't go to church they're all being turned into private homes, maybe you believe and thats entirely your choice but for me their is nothing religious about christmas anymore

Forum Mod

East Sussex

The pedant in me wants to argue that if you don't believe you're not celebrating Christmas anyway, you're celebrating a mid winter festival of some sort.exactly

We might as well just get on with doing what we do now then Exactly we celebrate, most of us don't go to church they're all being turned into private homes, maybe you believe and thats entirely your choice but for me their is nothing religious about christmas anymore "

My point really is that 'Christ' mass is a religious festival. Nobody has to believe in Jesus to eat turkey and fall into a near diabetic coma on quality street but they're not celebrating his birth

We might as well just get on with doing what we do now then Exactly we celebrate, most of us don't go to church they're all being turned into private homes, maybe you believe and thats entirely your choice but for me their is nothing religious about christmas anymore

My point really is that 'Christ' mass is a religious festival. Nobody has to believe in Jesus to eat turkey and fall into a near diabetic coma on quality street but they're not celebrating his birth"

To that point, who is celebrating his birth if they’re buying presents for family, friends, et al? Unless you’re buying him presents and having a birthday party for him, focusing your celebration on the religious aspects of his birth are you truly celebrating his birthday?

Dorchester

We might as well just get on with doing what we do now then Exactly we celebrate, most of us don't go to church they're all being turned into private homes, maybe you believe and thats entirely your choice but for me their is nothing religious about christmas anymore

My point really is that 'Christ' mass is a religious festival. Nobody has to believe in Jesus to eat turkey and fall into a near diabetic coma on quality street but they're not celebrating his birth"

lol well i didn't even cook my christ mass dinner yesterday so I'm not in a diabetic coma theirs no sweets or cake however i do have nuts hazel and peanuts

Dorchester

My point really is that 'Christ' mass is a religious festival. Nobody has to believe in Jesus to eat turkey and fall into a near diabetic coma on quality street but they're not celebrating his birth

To that point, who is celebrating his birth if they’re buying presents for family, friends, et al? Unless you’re buying him presents and having a birthday party for him, focusing your celebration on the religious aspects of his birth are you truly celebrating his birthday? "

Is it not the celebration of his death and resurrection that those that are religious celebrate although not in church anymore they maybe hold hands around the dinner table and say an appropriate prayer

To that point, who is celebrating his birth if they’re buying presents for family, friends, et al? Unless you’re buying him presents and having a birthday party for him, focusing your celebration on the religious aspects of his birth are you truly celebrating his birthday? Is it not the celebration of his death and resurrection that those that are religious celebrate although not in church anymore they maybe hold hands around the dinner table and say an appropriate prayer "

I’ve never in my life prayed at a birthday party or seen anyone do this but to each their own.

Dorchester

To that point, who is celebrating his birth if they’re buying presents for family, friends, et al? Unless you’re buying him presents and having a birthday party for him, focusing your celebration on the religious aspects of his birth are you truly celebrating his birthday? Is it not the celebration of his death and resurrection that those that are religious celebrate although not in church anymore they maybe hold hands around the dinner table and say an appropriate prayer

I’ve never in my life prayed at a birthday party or seen anyone do this but to each their own. "

Do you pray though?

To that point, who is celebrating his birth if they’re buying presents for family, friends, et al? Unless you’re buying him presents and having a birthday party for him, focusing your celebration on the religious aspects of his birth are you truly celebrating his birthday? Is it not the celebration of his death and resurrection that those that are religious celebrate although not in church anymore they maybe hold hands around the dinner table and say an appropriate prayer

I’ve never in my life prayed at a birthday party or seen anyone do this but to each their own. Do you pray though? "

To the Saint of Good Sex. How else will I be certain to have good sex? When I don’t? I whip out my rosary and do the Hail Marys to prevent more horrible sex in my future.

Dorchester

I’ve never in my life prayed at a birthday party or seen anyone do this but to each their own. Do you pray though?

To the Saint of Good Sex. How else will I be certain to have good sex? When I don’t? I whip out my rosary and do the Hail Marys to prevent more horrible sex in my future. "

lol well done you and may you get great sex

By *oppleWangerMan 38 weeks ago

Gods Country

I don’t like it, I don’t partake in it, Others like it, Some go way over the top with it.

But you do you, let every body else do them and just leave it be, its causing no harm.

By *eekin NSAMan 38 weeks ago

Ireland /Kilkenny areas

Absolutely NOT

By *hrimper36Couple 38 weeks ago

Central France dept 36

"Just a yes/no

Yes and a car park put in its place.

T

By *r Mrs FuckableCouple 38 weeks ago

Stoke

Nope, we get time off work paid for Santa's birthday

Then again at Easter for the Bunny's birthday!

People moaning about Christmas should be abolished.

By *a LunaWoman 38 weeks ago

South

No.

By *esafinadOHolyNightMan 38 weeks ago

Belfast

No, absolutely not. Christmas brings more joy to more people than the amount of those who don't like it.

Yes

By *alleyDaveMan 38 weeks ago

Sheffield

Just a day off work for me. I don't celebrate it ,don't have a Christmas dinner and don't acknowledge it by having a tree . When you are on your own and have no family ,Christmas dosnt exist.

By *inacolada3Couple 38 weeks ago

kettering

Can we move it to July so we can have BBQ turkey and Penacolada x

By *avexxMan 38 weeks ago

cheshire

defo no,, and why OP

Dorchester

No its such fun how can you abolish fun...... Shops are closed everything slows to a halt, family come round well those of you who have family, eat you out of house and home, leave all their rubbish behind and say thank fuck thats over

No.

By *he Gentleman 84Man 38 weeks ago

North East

Fuck no regardless of what goes on around Christmas that could be loss or loneliness you can make your own family it’s not only those by blood, there’s people out there to share the day with, support groups to meet new people Christmas is the one day of the year which if any brings people together!

St Leonards

"No its such fun how can you abolish fun...... Shops are closed everything slows to a halt, family come round well those of you who have family, eat you out of house and home, leave all their rubbish behind and say thank fuck thats over "

Methinks the Fred doth protest too much .

You'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat after your "Xmas Meal" today Fred.....drop a few sprouty farts...hit the gym later in the week...get laid in January...you'll think back on it all fondly come May .

Dorchester

"No its such fun how can you abolish fun...... Shops are closed everything slows to a halt, family come round well those of you who have family, eat you out of house and home, leave all their rubbish behind and say thank fuck thats over

You'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat after your "Xmas Meal" today Fred.....drop a few sprouty farts...hit the gym later in the week...get laid in January...you'll think back on it all fondly come May ."

I'm looking forward to easter

By *mf123Man 38 weeks ago

with one foot out the door

"Just a yes/no

Or we can think about the officials who tried to kill off all the babies and forced Mary and Joseph to become refugees..."

wont somebody think of the donkey

St Leonards

"No its such fun how can you abolish fun...... Shops are closed everything slows to a halt, family come round well those of you who have family, eat you out of house and home, leave all their rubbish behind and say thank fuck thats over

You'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat after your "Xmas Meal" today Fred.....drop a few sprouty farts...hit the gym later in the week...get laid in January...you'll think back on it all fondly come May .I'm looking forward to easter "

Chocolate and spring horniness??

Dorchester

"Just a yes/no

Or we can think about the officials who tried to kill off all the babies and forced Mary and Joseph to become refugees...wont somebody think of the donkey "

ass we speak

Dorchester

You'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat after your "Xmas Meal" today Fred.....drop a few sprouty farts...hit the gym later in the week...get laid in January...you'll think back on it all fondly come May .I'm looking forward to easter

Chocolate and spring horniness?? "

I don't eat chocolate but summer horniness yes

By *ustamanMan 38 weeks ago

weymouth

Yes - but for an awful lot of different reasons

"Yes - but for an awful lot of different reasons "

Children too happy?

By *itty9899Man 38 weeks ago

Craggy Island

It a day off work...so No!

By *stbury DavenportMan 38 weeks ago

Nottingham

Should Christmas be abolished? Yes.

Should we still have a nice big holiday period at the end of the year? Also yes.

By *ustamanMan 38 weeks ago

weymouth

"Yes - but for an awful lot of different reasons

Children too happy?

"

Family stress, most break ups occur over the 'festive' season. Financial stress as families effectively compete to create a 'perfect' Christmas. Economic stress as lots of buying followed by a down turn as the cc bills roll in. Economic stress due to business shutting down for a prolonged period. Mental health issues due to an increased feeling of loneliness for those without family or close friends etc etc.

Just make it a bank holiday with no religious or celebratory connotations

By *r GLTMan 38 weeks ago

Richmond Upon Thames

Definitely Not

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 38 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Reading this thread is great for crystallising just what Christmas means to most people.... no wonder it gives them anxiety.

Would I cancel Christmas..... NO

Would I change the way it is celebrated ........ YES

Do I celebrate Christmas myself .......... No - I'm decent all year round to my family and friends.

Dorchester

"Reading this thread is great for crystallising just what Christmas means to most people.... no wonder it gives them anxiety.

Do I celebrate Christmas myself .......... No - I'm decent all year round to my family and friends. "

glad you're decent in front of family and friends

Manchester

Children too happy?

Family stress, most break ups occur over the 'festive' season. Financial stress as families effectively compete to create a 'perfect' Christmas. Economic stress as lots of buying followed by a down turn as the cc bills roll in. Economic stress due to business shutting down for a prolonged period. Mental health issues due to an increased feeling of loneliness for those without family or close friends etc etc.

Just make it a bank holiday with no religious or celebratory connotations "

Interesting…… if just a bank holiday what would it represent? UK gov would have to be particularly creative to shut the economy down just on a whim.

By *ussD1Man 38 weeks ago

Gloucester

No, but getting away from it all has been nice this year.

"Just a yes/no

It was one year

King's Crustacean

"No, Christmas has different meanings to different people. Not everyone celebrates it to mark the the birth of Jesus.

I’m intrigued by your post….. could you elaborate on what different meanings there are for Xmas? Personally I’m a non-believer, but have always considered the 25th as singularly a major day in the Christian calendar."

Singularly ? You sure ?

King's Crustacean

"Reading this thread is great for crystallising just what Christmas means to most people.... no wonder it gives them anxiety.

Do I celebrate Christmas myself .......... No - I'm decent all year round to my family and friends. glad you're decent in front of family and friends "

They are just not ready for this jelly Fred.

The fairytale for kids.. Saying look what Santa bought you. When in fact hard up families struggle to buy gifts.

Everything goes up more

Nice boost for political people

Presents. For me it is purely for giving.

Dorchester

Do I celebrate Christmas myself .......... No - I'm decent all year round to my family and friends. glad you're decent in front of family and friends

They are just not ready for this jelly Fred. "

omg jelly belly

By *alleyDaveMan 38 weeks ago

Sheffield

"Fuck no regardless of what goes on around Christmas that could be loss or loneliness you can make your own family it’s not only those by blood, there’s people out there to share the day with, support groups to meet new people Christmas is the one day of the year which if any brings people together! "

Many of us spent Christmas alone ,not through choice .it wasn't a nice experience.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 26/12/23 09:26:03]

By *andyfloss2000Woman 38 weeks ago

ashford

No x

By * kiss like morphineMan 38 weeks ago

The gravelly bit next to the shed

There's always been a festival at this time of year.

Commercial Christmas certainly needs to die, Christmas every two years, traditional yuletide every year maybe?

By *orny-DJMan 38 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

"If we abolish Christmas does that mean we need to abolish Easter too?

Oh can you see how much damage this would do?"

I don't celebrate either

No not abolished but certain traditions need to go imo… kings speech… less Xmas music ..it’s all the same …. And make Xmas eve the bank holiday ..and end boxing day……. Bah humbug lol

Children too happy?

Just make it a bank holiday with no religious or celebratory connotations "

Businesses are generally shut for one day.

If you're gonna break up over stress then it isn't meant to be.

The over spending is a personal choice. They'll be the same people that splurge on holidays in the summer they can't afford.

People alone at Xmas, people are alone many days of the year. Xmas is what you make it.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 38 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

What I don’t get is why half the country has to shut down for best part of a week or more, in order to have one day celebrated.

A lot of businesses seem to shut a few days before and don’t open up to the new year and all to ‘celebrate’ a day that apparently most people no longer recognise anyway.

Have, whatever you want to call it, on the nearest weekend to the end of December each year and have a couple of days for people to see family if the choose and then everybody back to normal on Monday.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Why not celebrate if you want to and don't celebrate if you don't want to? Call it what you want HarryPottermas or Cadburymas would be my suggestions and do exactly as you please, even ignore it completely and carry on as normal.

Dorchester

"What I don’t get is why half the country has to shut down for best part of a week or more, in order to have one day celebrated.

A lot of businesses seem to shut a few days before and don’t open up to the new year and all to ‘celebrate’ a day that apparently most people no longer recognise anyway.

Have, whatever you want to call it, on the nearest weekend to the end of December each year and have a couple of days for people to see family if the choose and then everybody back to normal on Monday. "

you love working then?

Dorchester

"No not abolished but certain traditions need to go imo… kings speech… less Xmas music ..it’s all the same …. And make Xmas eve the bank holiday ..and end boxing day……. Bah humbug lol"
omg i missed the kings speach his first one as head honcho

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 38 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"What I don’t get is why half the country has to shut down for best part of a week or more, in order to have one day celebrated.

Have, whatever you want to call it, on the nearest weekend to the end of December each year and have a couple of days for people to see family if the choose and then everybody back to normal on Monday. you love working then? "

I do as it happens

By * and M lookingCouple 38 weeks ago

Worcester

Yes.

Dorchester

Have, whatever you want to call it, on the nearest weekend to the end of December each year and have a couple of days for people to see family if the choose and then everybody back to normal on Monday. you love working then?

I do as it happens

"

yes i do to but work life balance work 4 days have 3 days off

But how would we do it?

Dorchester

"But how would we do it? "
if you dont know now you'll never know

"But how would we do it? if you dont know now you'll never know "

I love how revolutions are started on a sex themed site

I’ve got my dick out in photos, talking about taking down a timeless tradition built on years and years of preaching.

Dorchester

"But how would we do it? if you dont know now you'll never know

I’ve got my dick out in photos, talking about taking down a timeless tradition built on years and years of preaching. "

they go right round right round

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"But how would we do it? "

If I wanted to abolish Christmas (I don't) I'd just stop celebrating. I wouldn't want to make other people stop. Look at the outrage if someone suggests not having Nativity play.

Dorchester

"But how would we do it? if you dont know now you'll never know

I’ve got my dick out in photos, talking about taking down a timeless tradition built on years and years of preaching. they go right round right round "

or is it spin me right round right round

Manchester

I’m intrigued by your post….. could you elaborate on what different meanings there are for Xmas? Personally I’m a non-believer, but have always considered the 25th as singularly a major day in the Christian calendar.

Singularly ? You sure ?"

Very sure thanks, unless there is some other event else you are aware of?

Manchester

"There's always been a festival at this time of year.

Commercial Christmas certainly needs to die, Christmas every two years, traditional yuletide every year maybe? "

Indeed ….. the winter solstice being one.

By *aughtystaffs60Couple 38 weeks ago

Staffordshire

I looked at the mountain of plastic littered across the floor of my grand children's lounge floor and despaired.

How can this be the right way to bring up children. This stuff is going to last for decades and will just end up buried in landfill.

I actually feel quite sorry for my son and daughter and law who have to indulge in this orgy of consumerism.

Mrs N joins in. We have one of the youngsters 1 day per week but one of our rooms is 1/2 full of plastic junk from the older one and now the youngest one is adding theirs. I try to drop hints that this is getting me down but knocked down as being a grinch so I just think I have 2 or so more years of this to endure then I too will be taking our load of plastic junk to the tip as no one else will want it. This is being repeated across millions of households.

How do we get out of this cycle ?

"But how would we do it?

If I wanted to abolish Christmas (I don't) I'd just stop celebrating. I wouldn't want to make other people stop. Look at the outrage if someone suggests not having Nativity play. "

Nobody is taking the Nativy plays from us!!

*grabs pitch fork!

And I thought I was miserable ...

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"But how would we do it?

If I wanted to abolish Christmas (I don't) I'd just stop celebrating. I wouldn't want to make other people stop. Look at the outrage if someone suggests not having Nativity play.

Nobody is taking the Nativy plays from us!!

*grabs pitch fork! "

By *arkus1812Man 38 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Having just celebrated my 83rd Christmas no way should Christmas be abolished.

By *ad NannaWoman 38 weeks ago

East London

"I looked at the mountain of plastic littered across the floor of my grand children's lounge floor and despaired.

How can this be the right way to bring up children. This stuff is going to last for decades and will just end up buried in landfill.

I actually feel quite sorry for my son and daughter and law who have to indulge in this orgy of consumerism.

Mrs N joins in. We have one of the youngsters 1 day per week but one of our rooms is 1/2 full of plastic junk from the older one and now the youngest one is adding theirs. I try to drop hints that this is getting me down but knocked down as being a grinch so I just think I have 2 or so more years of this to endure then I too will be taking our load of plastic junk to the tip as no one else will want it. This is being repeated across millions of households.

How do we get out of this cycle ?"

We had mountains of cardboard this year; minimal plastic, but the toys are mostly plastic.

By *aith SkynbyrdWoman 38 weeks ago

Somewhere else

I'd spoil my ballot.

Please do it the British way, either by drawing a cock & balls across the paper or by spilling your tea on it! "

Having no family makes christmas a non event for myself and plenty of others. But I think its a good thing for people that can enjoy it. Anytime that people have the oppotunity to come together and enjoy themselves for whatever reason, they definitely should

By *iss DevilWoman 38 weeks ago

Bedford

Christmas - no, I can put up with it. What should be abolished is greedy retailers starting to shove Christmas down our throats from August. Keep Christmas shopping to late November and December.

Also, the true meaning of Christmas should be reminded to people rather than just the "spend, spend and spend" push.

Nope!

Miss S x

By *lex46TV/TS 38 weeks ago

Near Wells

Christmas shouldn’t be abolished but you should be hung if you mention the word Christmas, put decorations and lights up earlier than a week before Christmas.

King's Crustacean

It's

Christ's Mass. Mass for Christ.

You can't change the name to Chocalissimus or hold it on a different day .....

It has Christian connotations.

I'd prefer Winter Festival and Change the date to be around the winter solstice every year.

No mindless consumerism but a celebration of community / the seasons and feasting.... where each family come out and bring their families food and share with other families , including those that live alone.

By *r SproutMan 38 weeks ago

the middle somewhere

No

"It's

I'd prefer Winter Festival and Change the date to be around the winter solstice every year.

No mindless consumerism but a celebration of community / the seasons and feasting.... where each family come out and bring their families food and share with other families , including those that live alone. "

This sounds far too sociable.

King's Crustacean

e.g. Christmas remains for the Christians and they can sing hymns and go to church.

Those like me can celebrate each other and the solstice and sing songs about green willow and mistletoe and dance and drink beer and feast on seasonal food.

King's Crustacean

"It's

No mindless consumerism but a celebration of community / the seasons and feasting.... where each family come out and bring their families food and share with other families , including those that live alone.

"

You could be our village Grinch and reign aloft spitting on the children ...

Dorchester

"It's

You could be our village Grinch and reign aloft spitting on the children ... "

lol

Dorchester

"Christmas - no, I can put up with it. What should be abolished is greedy retailers starting to shove Christmas down our throats from August. Keep Christmas shopping to late November and December.

Also, the true meaning of Christmas should be reminded to people rather than just the "spend, spend and spend" push. "

whats the true meaning and do you go to church to confess all your sins?

"It's

You could be our village Grinch and reign aloft spitting on the children ... "

As tempting as this sounds I like Christmas. People moaning about it I don't like. And the social side I'm not overy keen on.

Actually, I'll take the job.

King's Crustacean

Knew you would..... pay is performance dependent tho so don't miss !

By *ickdasterdly51Man 38 weeks ago

Lingfield

No, but I agree that we should celebrate the winter solstice more, the lengthening of the days and the oncoming of spring. That really is something that is happening and should be celebrated. Personally I'm glad when Christmas is over, to me it's a lot of fuss over nothing.

Bedford

"Christmas - no, I can put up with it. What should be abolished is greedy retailers starting to shove Christmas down our throats from August. Keep Christmas shopping to late November and December.

Also, the true meaning of Christmas should be reminded to people rather than just the "spend, spend and spend" push. whats the true meaning and do you go to church to confess all your sins? "

I think someone on the thread already mentioned - less consumerism, less spending what you can't afford to create the "perfect" Christmas but much more being considerate, friendly, particularly to those less fortunate. Sharing with others, spreading the peace and joy. It does not have to be under the banner of any religion, just being a good human being. Which I think a lot of us have forgotten how to do.

Dorchester

Also, the true meaning of Christmas should be reminded to people rather than just the "spend, spend and spend" push. whats the true meaning and do you go to church to confess all your sins?

I think someone on the thread already mentioned - less consumerism, less spending what you can't afford to create the "perfect" Christmas but much more being considerate, friendly, particularly to those less fortunate. Sharing with others, spreading the peace and joy. It does not have to be under the banner of any religion, just being a good human being. Which I think a lot of us have forgotten how to do. "

yes we have but it is christ mass don't forget

Bedford

"yes we have but it is christ mass don't forget "

Mass as in "mass-ive" spending? No, thanks, trying to break from that. "Mass-ive" twats? Trying to avoid those.

Unless you mean the Holy Mass or Midnight Mass - too disillusioned with religion to attend any more.

By *a LunaWoman 38 weeks ago

South

There’s some crazy talk being talked in this thread!!!

And I say that as someone who is off work from 21st December to 8th January

By *immyinreadingMan 38 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Just a yes/no

And how would you go about “abolishing” Christmas? You do realise it’s a religious festival don’t you? So you propose banning a religious celebration?

Of course it shouldn’t be “abolished”.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Just a yes/no

And how would you go about “abolishing” Christmas? You do realise it’s a religious festival don’t you? So you propose banning a religious celebration?

Of course it shouldn’t be “abolished”. "

I've just had a conversation with a friend who was shocked to discover that Christmas isn't celebrated widely in Japan. I said it's because they're mostly not christian and she genuinely doesn't understand what that's got to do with it.

By *ackformore100Man 38 weeks ago

Tin town

"Just a yes/no

No. Why?

Manchester (she/her)

"Just a yes/no

I've just had a conversation with a friend who was shocked to discover that Christmas isn't celebrated widely in Japan. I said it's because they're mostly not christian and she genuinely doesn't understand what that's got to do with it. "

Let's not abolish Christmas. Let's abolish stupidity

What's it got to do with Christianity. Good god

By *rHotNottsMan 38 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Christmas is whatever you choose to make it. Time to staff and catch up with friends and family that you don’t see very often. Traditions that you create yourself. Time for meditation and reflection or your faith.

No one is forcing anybody to overspend, go into debt, put on weight, , drink too much, or order ridiculous amounts of landfill bound Amazon crap

Tin town

"Just a yes/no

I've just had a conversation with a friend who was shocked to discover that Christmas isn't celebrated widely in Japan. I said it's because they're mostly not christian and she genuinely doesn't understand what that's got to do with it. "

And I thought christmas was invented by a Clinton's cards and argos joint venture.

Next thing you know they'll be abolishing blackfriday.. A special day of the week to help us appreciate our privilege.

"Christmas is whatever you choose to make it. Time to staff and catch up with friends and family that you don’t see very often. Traditions that you create yourself. Time for meditation and reflection or your faith.

No one is forcing anybody to overspend, go into debt, put on weight, , drink too much, or order ridiculous amounts of landfill bound Amazon crap"

People are unable to think for themselves though. This is the real problem!

By *ittleMissCaliWoman 38 weeks ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

No. Its a time for family and traditions

henley on thames

"Just a yes/no

I used to work in the US, and people there were utterly bemused at the idea that Thanksgiving isn’t celebrated in other countries.

"Just a yes/no

Of course it shouldn’t be “abolished”. "

What's religious about Christmas?

Tin town

"Just a yes/no

"

Die hard?

By *illybeachboyMan 38 weeks ago

Guernsey

Yes.

Why are people celebrating what is no more than a fairy story?

Tin town

"Just a yes/no

I've just had a conversation with a friend who was shocked to discover that Christmas isn't celebrated widely in Japan. I said it's because they're mostly not christian and she genuinely doesn't understand what that's got to do with it.

I used to work in the US, and people there were utterly bemused at the idea that Thanksgiving isn’t celebrated in other countries. "

There are other countries?

Manchester (she/her)

"Just a yes/no

I used to work in the US, and people there were utterly bemused at the idea that Thanksgiving isn’t celebrated in other countries. "

I can excuse this sort of thing in children - not in adults.

By *illybeachboyMan 38 weeks ago

Guernsey

"No absolutely not. Christmas is basically for children why would you do that to them."

I feel for parents who have a huge amount of pressure on them to buy their kids the latest expensive gadgets. Terrible.

Manchester (she/her)

"Yes.

Why are people celebrating what is no more than a fairy story?"

Like most things, meaning can evolve over time.

Peace, goodwill, generosity, gifts - they can be cultural values and metaphors rather than a tale in a collection of ancient texts.

By *eyond PurityCouple 38 weeks ago

Lincolnshire

Absolutely not - Christmas is great and whilst they don’t celebrate it officially in Thailand, where we were on holiday, they certainly made sure the westerners could enjoy it.

K

henley on thames

"Yes.

Why should they be stopped?

You seem to be suggesting that all religious observance should be “abolished”?

By *r_reusMan 38 weeks ago

Coventry

No.

In fact, Christianity should be gradually brought back into society.

Tin town

"Yes.

Because it's a free world.. And why not?

"Just a yes/no

Die hard? "

Saint Bruce

"No absolutely not. Christmas is basically for children why would you do that to them.

I feel for parents who have a huge amount of pressure on them to buy their kids the latest expensive gadgets. Terrible. "

I'm avoiding Facebook. It sickens me how many people post pics of mountains of presents. People who I thought were decent and sane.

"

Die hard?

Saint Bruce "

Is Brucey no more?

All over

"Yes.

And you think people should drop their beliefs and/or traditions because you don't like it

By *arl JamesMan 38 weeks ago

Birmingham

"Yes.

Because fairy stories just tell you what life could look like in a make believe type of world whereas this story is of greater significance in that it recites the story of an event that was prophesied a long time ago and deals with humans biggest issues how can their sins be dealt with....

Then again, I guess some people are not that concerned about that so for them it is just another public holiday, I could be wrong though...

"Just a yes/no

That’s just daft people being daft. Why would Thanksgiving- centered around the native Americans and Pilgrims- be celebrated anywhere else? Sometimes people fail to switch on their brains.

By *addad99Man 38 weeks ago

Rotherham /newquay

No I might be Scrooge but I still like watching little humans opening the presents and seeing there faces.

"Just a yes/no

I used to work in the US, and people there were utterly bemused at the idea that Thanksgiving isn’t celebrated in other countries.

That’s just daft people being daft. Why would Thanksgiving- centered around the native Americans and Pilgrims- be celebrated anywhere else? Sometimes people fail to switch on their brains. "

Some Americans are unaware that other countries exist.

Somewhere else

"Just a yes/no

That’s just daft people being daft. Why would Thanksgiving- centered around the native Americans and Pilgrims- be celebrated anywhere else? Sometimes people fail to switch on their brains. "

Thanksgiving is a food holiday. Christmas is that for me too.

By *oiluvfunMan 38 weeks ago

Penrith

"Just a yes/no

No

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 38 weeks ago

in Lancashire

No OP..

Somewhere else

"Just a yes/no

That’s just daft people being daft. Why would Thanksgiving- centered around the native Americans and Pilgrims- be celebrated anywhere else? Sometimes people fail to switch on their brains.

Some Americans are unaware that other countries exist. "

It’s embarrassing

"

Die hard?

Saint Bruce

Is Brucey no more? "

He's still here I think (but quite ill). He's a saint though.