FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > WIFI / BROADBAND does everybody have it ?

WIFI / BROADBAND does everybody have it ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *os19 OP   Man 40 weeks ago

Edmonton

Last week at work my manager was updating her records at work and asked me if I had WIFI / BROADBAND at home. I told her I don’t as I can more than get by with the data on my phone and my rarely used tablet.My manager said what would I do if there was another lockdown like in 2020 and I was asked to work from home.I said the same in 2020 come in at work in the office and if I couldn’t work at the office I would contact the union if it is now a requirement to have WIFI.Just wondering if I am the only caveman that doesn’t have WIFI or BROADBAND in their home.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 40 weeks ago

Not everyone has access. I’m pretty sure it was in the Labour manifesto to ensure everyone does have access to it though.

Alas, there’s no magic money tree.

By *ndycoinsMan 40 weeks ago

Whaley Bridge,Nr Buxton,

Not got either,by choice not lack of provision.

By *rHotNottsMan 40 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

In the UK, I just use on 5G myFi for £10 a month. It sits in the window and works perfectly across two TVs, various Sonos and 2-3 phones and laptops.

By *amierebelMan 40 weeks ago

nae danger.

Was about suggest that aswell you can use your phones WiFi and hotspot off it granted nit the best personally I have deets someone's bt wifi and there's a bt wifi hotspot in my house so I just log into that with email and pass and set

Edmonton

Thanks for the input guys with me it not so much how much the costs it the fact I don’t do a lot of things online like purchase things from Amazon or online food shopping.It just that I have very little need for it and I’m not the best or most confident with technology.With the work situation the management said we must have WIFI or BROADBAND to work from home and not our phone’s data or WIFI.

By *ountainwalkerMan 40 weeks ago

port talbot

If it was me in that situation, I'd tell them I'm perfectly happy to have wifi/broadband installed at home, as long as the contract is in the company name and the company pays for it!!

nae danger.

I'm sure for what you need it for piggy backing the WiFi of your phone would be sufficient (depending on phones data plan) I know people who game on there xbox and playstations doing just this I really don't know how explain it better fauling that I'm sure there is cheap WiFi out there post office used to be like 20 a month few years back not the best of WiFi itself though hopefully others know some cheap plans pal

nae danger.

"If it was me in that situation, I'd tell them I'm perfectly happy to have wifi/broadband installed at home, as long as the contract is in the company name and the company pays for it!!"

Facts

By *eltic connectionCouple 40 weeks ago

Manningtree

I used to live in a very small village where the WiFi was almost non existent. Some larger files could take over an hour to upload. My employer gave me a dongle which plugged into my laptop and it worked perfectly for two years.

By *ee04Man 40 weeks ago

Thurrock

I’d tell them of its a requirement then they pay for it.

A few years back my company said I had to give all my team my phone number and set up a what’s app group. So if they had an emergency they could contact me.

I simply told them when you pay for the phone they can have the number in the meantime they have my work number which is on when I’m here. At the time we only had basics work mobiles.

We now have smart phones and it still gets switched off when I am not at work. If they want it on when I’m at home they can pay me standby otherwise it stays off.

By *uri00620Woman 40 weeks ago

Croydon

I must bc at home I have zero phone reception so have to rely on WiFi calling..... in London

nae danger.

"I must bc at home I have zero phone reception so have to rely on WiFi calling..... in London "

With 3 by any chance?

By *uri00620Woman 40 weeks ago

Croydon

"I must bc at home I have zero phone reception so have to rely on WiFi calling..... in London

With 3 by any chance? "

Nope, I've been through all the providers, 3 included!

By *abioMan 40 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Last week at work my manager was updating her records at work and asked me if I had WIFI / BROADBAND at home. I told her I don’t as I can more than get by with the data on my phone and my rarely used tablet.My manager said what would I do if there was another lockdown like in 2020 and I was asked to work from home.I said the same in 2020 come in at work in the office and if I couldn’t work at the office I would contact the union if it is now a requirement to have WIFI.Just wondering if I am the only caveman that doesn’t have WIFI or BROADBAND in their home."

It’s two different issues…

As far as I am aware as long as you have a 4g/5g phone you should have some Access to WiFi as BT allows you to use their network as the public access operator… what speed it runs at is a different issue

And that is where broadband comes in…. In reality the basic speed in itself should be enough to be useful for most people (which is why most have some sort of “don’t take the piss downloading data!” Provision)

After a certain level you don’t notice the speed thing so there is no point having the top of the range now, because the lowest floor is now so much higher than it was!

I remember the days of having 64 mbs… and going up to 512/1028.. and thinking “bloody hell!!!”

nae danger.

"I must bc at home I have zero phone reception so have to rely on WiFi calling..... in London

With 3 by any chance?

Nope, I've been through all the providers, 3 included!"

Ah fair enough I'm 3 and honestly my house is good but at work completely no signal or near my lads school murder likes

By (user no longer on site) 40 weeks ago

"Last week at work my manager was updating her records at work and asked me if I had WIFI / BROADBAND at home. I told her I don’t as I can more than get by with the data on my phone and my rarely used tablet.My manager said what would I do if there was another lockdown like in 2020 and I was asked to work from home.I said the same in 2020 come in at work in the office and if I couldn’t work at the office I would contact the union if it is now a requirement to have WIFI.Just wondering if I am the only caveman that doesn’t have WIFI or BROADBAND in their home."

I recently finished my virgin contract and bought a 4g router to try. I signed up 26th smarty which is three.for £20 a month I get upto 30mb/s unlimited bandwidth and its fine due just me streaming at 1080 and browsing. No contract either and I can take my router anywhere

By *acktopervMan 40 weeks ago

Stourport-On-Severn

"Thanks for the input guys with me it not so much how much the costs it the fact I don’t do a lot of things online like purchase things from Amazon or online food shopping.It just that I have very little need for it and I’m not the best or most confident with technology.With the work situation the management said we must have WIFI or BROADBAND to work from home and not our phone’s data or WIFI. "

If your employer is insisting you have broadband at home and not using a mobile phone's data, then your employer should be paying for a broadband line into your house. Even if you already had broadband in your house, it's your broadband, not your employers. They should pay for a line for work and not expect you to share your own line.

Edmonton

"Thanks for the input guys with me it not so much how much the costs it the fact I don’t do a lot of things online like purchase things from Amazon or online food shopping.It just that I have very little need for it and I’m not the best or most confident with technology.With the work situation the management said we must have WIFI or BROADBAND to work from home and not our phone’s data or WIFI.

If your employer is insisting you have broadband at home and not using a mobile phone's data, then your employer should be paying for a broadband line into your house. Even if you already had broadband in your house, it's your broadband, not your employers. They should pay for a line for work and not expect you to share your own line."

. The good thing about my employer is that they are not insisting I have broadband they are just shocked that in my office of 60-70 staff I am the only one that can’t work from home especially if the weather is bad and I can’t get into the office.As I said to the 4 office managers and 2 line managers I have had since 2020 I don’t need broadband to live my life.Having work colleagues asking me how I can live without broadband makes me laugh especially when I say very well thank you.

» Add a new message to this topic