FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > what is God to you ? is there a God?

what is God to you ? is there a God?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How many believe in god. Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history. If there was a god why he or she let these things happen that are so bad at times in the world ? Is it for us to learn from ?. I don't knock anyone if you believe .Easter is almost here and very big time for church and was for me as a child ..Maybe it about values A control ? so it keeps us on the right path in life ? well what you think ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I believe there is 'something' as opposed to 'someone' that influences all our lives.

Exactly what that 'something' is I am unsure of and being honest, I don't particularly wish to know.

It's one of them subjects that makes your head hurt if you try and overthink it.

I am not a religious man, but neither would I deny anyone a religion or mock their beliefs simply because either I didn't understand them, didn't want to understand them, didn't hold those same beliefs or they were intrinsically wrong to me.

" How many believe in god. Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history. If there was a god why he or she let these things happen that are so bad at times in the world ? Is it for us to learn from ?. I don't knock anyone if you believe .Easter is almost here and very big time for church and was for me as a child ..Maybe it about values A control ? so it keeps us on the right path in life ? well what you think ? "

Hate to burst any bubbles and its up to yourself to choose if you wanted to kid yourself etc

But no. There is no almighty being that gives a rats ass about humanity, I have studied and believed in such a myth, it's a coping mechanism and form of control for man to control man.

Deep n meaningful for so early in the day

I'm happy for anyone whose faith brings them comfort or joy etc, for me personally I have no religious belief nor have I seen or heard anything to ever change that view.

It's all very personal to the individual I guess.

"I believe there is 'something' as opposed to 'someone' that influences all our lives.

Exactly what that 'something' is I am unsure of and being honest, I don't particularly wish to know.

It's one of them subjects that makes your head hurt if you try and overthink it.

I am not a religious man, but neither would I deny anyone a religion or mock their beliefs simply because either I didn't understand them, didn't want to understand them, didn't hold those same beliefs or they were intrinsically wrong to me."

And your right you can over-think religion .. i have had a go over the years and still not sure about it all tell the truth .. I am more into spirit world i think. And that's not G/T ice and a slice ,

" I am more into spirit world i think. And that's not G/T ice and a slice , "

Although done just right, that too can be an almost near to god experience

By *exy firemanMan  over a year ago

essex

i don't know if there is or not. like lots of people on here i have had my share of knocks over the last few years and just recently have started to look up in the air and praying, just in case the big man does exist!!

Religion - a construct of man to try to give understanding to matters beyond his comprehension and a mechanism for an elite to exert considerable power over a majority

Whilst for some it may provide comfort for many it has been the root cause of suffering

Each to their own opinion. Its a thing that will always cause friction between ppl. Just respect that not everyone shares your own opinion.

Personally I'm not a believer but I believe there is somethin, just not sure what.

If it brings peace and inspiration to ppl and makes them live better lives then its all good.

"i don't know if there is or not. like lots of people on here i have had my share of knocks over the last few years and just recently have started to look up in the air and praying, just in case the big man does exist!! "
I do and have over the years ask myself who am i praying to ..whos out there ,

By *exy firemanMan  over a year ago

essex

i used to be a big doubter and have asked all the usual questions like ' if there was a god how can he allow that child to die, a person who has a faith will give you the answer, because they was too good for this life! they are now in heaven with the other angels! who is to say that they are not right? i pray to god that they are right though.. xx

I have only had 1 real religious experience and it still makes the hairs on my neck stand up to think about it.

I had taken a trip to Warsaw with my cousin shortly after his mum had died and we were both, I guess, feeling kinda raw.

Now those that have been to Warsaw will know that there is certainly no shortage of Churches.

We were out one afternoon, had a couple of drinks and a bit of lunch and having a little potter round the Old Town and walking up this little back street, we chanced upon this little innocuous looking church.

We kinda stopped dead in our tracks and said 'let's go in'

So we opened the heavy doors and walked in. In contrast to the darkness of the street outside, the whole church was filled with light and as we entered a choir made up of nuns started to sing in Latin.

We sat down at the back, completely stopped in our tracks and were both left with wide open gapes at what we were witnessing. Those gapes were soon followed by eyes and cheeks filled with tears.

We both came out and said 'what the fuck, just happened in there ?'

Whatever it was that guided us there, we will never know, but I believe that for that snatched moment in time, we were meant to be in that place at that time.

That is why, despite being a non-religious person myself, I would never deny anyone a religion or a belief in something greater.

"I have only had 1 real religious experience and it still makes the hairs on my neck stand up to think about it.

I had taken a trip to Warsaw with my cousin shortly after his mum had died and we were both, I guess, feeling kinda raw.

Now those that have been to Warsaw will know that there is certainly no shortage of Churches.

We were out one afternoon, had a couple of drinks and a bit of lunch and having a little potter round the Old Town and walking up this little back street, we chanced upon this little innocuous looking church.

We kinda stopped dead in our tracks and said 'let's go in'

So we opened the heavy doors and walked in. In contrast to the darkness of the street outside, the whole church was filled with light and as we entered a choir made up of nuns started to sing in Latin.

We sat down at the back, completely stopped in our tracks and were both left with wide open gapes at what we were witnessing. Those gapes were soon followed by eyes and cheeks filled with tears.

We both came out and said 'what the fuck, just happened in there ?'

Whatever it was that guided us there, we will never know, but I believe that for that snatched moment in time, we were meant to be in that place at that time.

That is why, despite being a non-religious person myself, I would never deny anyone a religion or a belief in something greater."

wow thank you for shering that with us here ...... its just some things in life you cant just put your fingers .. when my dad passed away end of oct it was 5.30 in the morning ........ my mum was sleep and woken up little after 5.30 my Dad calling her name and holding out a hand to her she said it was blue ........ 15 mins after phone call saying he had died just after 5,30 that morning now my mum never never believe in nothing a spade is a spade to her and can be very hard as a person .. she was in shock she new he had passed and that call was hospital.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

No.....I believe in Mother Nature

By *ickndomCouple  over a year ago

Wimborne

Religion is a created from a state of despertation, and a god its salvation that is then taxed by our peers

There is a whole industry built around a myth, and its their hype that keeps us wondering if they are right

Lets face most of us turn to god looking for salvation to a desperate situation, we call it hope

I don't however see religion has a bad thing, it gives us many values and morals such as fore saking all others overall we need rules to create order and respect and avoid anarchy

We are all free people to make our own choices, I believe there is another planet out there that supports life, I of course have no idea if there is

Time to fetch my northern hard hat

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

I have been a church goer all my life until recently. I used to go to Church and Sunday school by myself as a child (none of my family ever attended church, unless it was Weddings, Funerals or Baptisms).

I had a strong belief in Christianity and was proud of my faith. On a Sunday, you'd catch me with a tambourine at the Christian fellowship!

But as my health deteriorated and I became isolated from friends and family, I began to question my faith, the whole why me? I couldn't accept my diagnosis, I couldn't accept the way my life had become, I had tried to be a good Christian, I wasn't perfect, but I tried. I was really struggling with life. I thought God was punishing me. So I stopped going to Church, I hid my bible, hid all my Christian CD's and started swinging, primarily to make new friends.

I think my faith is still there, deep down, but I felt let down by God, as he wasn't there when I needed him most.

Having just lost my mother on friday and dad with exactly the same illness,my belief in god has been stretched to the limit

By *inkyScot22Man  over a year ago

Anniesland

I went to a catholic school but was disillusioned when no one could give me a good answer to why *I* wasn't born in the garden of eden... why was I punished for something my ancestors did? If that's the case is my eventual fate even in my hands at all... eventually I found out everything else, evolution, astrophysics, atomic theory, other religions, etc which distanced me even more from the 'guy in the sky' and then I went to a non-denominational secondary school and never looked back

By *awkeye and HotlipsCouple  over a year ago

Takeley

I believe that being the complex creatures that we are, that we need hope and the notion of a God fulfills that. Religions or the scriptures of religion have formed our boundaries and our laws: look at how the ten commandments are a framework for law. I do believe in God, one God, for all mankind. Whether we call him Buddha, Allah or whoever, and the nuances of that religion, ie the written word are driven by geographical and cultural differences. Just an opinion, however, perhaps we would have a more tolerant world if we accepted that. Fat chance!!!

By *urvyKattWoman  over a year ago

Dumfriesshire

I'm quite happy for others to believe in whatever they like as long as they don't try and foist their religious ideas and opinions on me but as for me I don't believe in god or any of his associates.

I think we are all on this planet through a total quirk of fate, a series of collisions, accidents and for some reason the right ingredients arrived on our planet to start and sustain life. In a few billion years our sun will burn out but we will be all long gone before this happens. Unless we can find some way of travelling a lot faster than current methods to start life on another planet out of our solar system we will be extinct and just maybe when our current planetary system blows up with us, another planet will evolve with the right ingredients to start life again and afresh. Whether this has anything to do with a god or not, I will keep an open mind, but as far as religion goes, the amount of trouble and strife it has caused from the start to current days, is absolutely abhorrent

I'm an Atheist and member of The British Humanist Association.

I don't believe in a God of any form, but I would not deny, denegrate or trivialise anyone who does.

On the other hand, anyone who promulgates the views expressed by some religions, on the other hand, will often incur my personal wrath.

There is a difference between belief in a God, and slavish adherence to a Religion. I treat those with the first with respect, and those with the latter with a degree of pity, it has to be said, generally due to their own lack of questioning of the rules by which they are apparently happy to live.

I was christened when i was a child but I wouldn't say I am a religious person. I'm not sure if something does exist that outlines our life or watches over us. I did ask a padre years ago if there was a god why does he allow all the suffering in the world and he told me that god gives mankind the powers to stop it and allows people to make there own mind up whether to use that power or not. It did make me think if he doesn't stop that then what does he do.

I'd never knock someone for believing as I think some people do need something to help them through the tough times and also when they know that there time is coming up it can take the fear away from it.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

'God' is an alien living on a planet that has a severe elliptical orbit to The Sun. The orbit is so severe that the planet travels outside the existing borders of our solar system. The planet he lives on is due to pass near Earth in roughly a thousand years. The last time it passed was 2000 years ago.

True story.

you can't know the unknowable. but if there is a god and he has a plan for all of us then he's a bit of an evil bastard at times. in which case,why call him god at all

my older brothers used to take me to church when i was little, i like churches but i dont believe in god though.

Study the universe a little, the sun going nova, gases and super massive black holes, then look at rape & incest.

Free will?

We have a soul?

At what point? When an embryo is miscarried does this soul go to "heaven"?

Do sperm have souls?

Sad to say but there is no spirit/saviour. Whether you pray (talk to yourself) or not, you will die, it will be the end of your existence and your body will decompose...

It's the sad truth

"Study the universe a little, the sun going nova, gases and super massive black holes, then look at rape & incest.

Free will?

We have a soul?

Do sperm have souls?

Sad to say but there is no spirit/saviour. Whether you pray (talk to yourself) or not, you will die, it will be the end of your existence and your body will decompose...

It's the sad truth "

I am guessing you don't own a tambourine ?

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I don't believe in any organised religion's view of God. A 'man' that stands on his heavenly throne to stand in judgement of us all.

I believe in something more than us here on Earth, I'm just not sure what. And I'm not entirely sure I want to know what.

By *ngel n tedCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

Oh.....god! i thought it said cod, was gonna type stuff about batter n such

"Study the universe a little, the sun going nova, gases and super massive black holes, then look at rape & incest.

Free will?

We have a soul?

Do sperm have souls?

It's the sad truth "

Or just your version of the truth.

"Oh.....god! i thought it said cod, was gonna type stuff about batter n such "
Ok i know my spelling may not be best , lol but 3 letter words are my friend , lol

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"I believe there is 'something' as opposed to 'someone' that influences all our lives.

I am not a religious man, but neither would I deny anyone a religion or mock their beliefs simply because either I didn't understand them, didn't want to understand them, didn't hold those same beliefs or they were intrinsically wrong to me."

Exactly what Bussy said...the only thing I would add is that I kinda envy those with a strong enough faith who calmly accept bad things happening to them as "God's will" and have a sure knowledge that they will be reunited with loved ones in Heaven

By *ourbonKissMan  over a year ago

a land up north..... of leicester

I wouldn't say that I'm religious but I definitely have an appreciation of God. However I also think that as long as I believe that my actions are carried out in the truest of notions, then no one..... not even God can hold me to rights over it.

By *icky55Man  over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

Religion seems to set peoples morales, they affect the way we think in terms of right and wrong, some religions believe that women are below men, they have to cover their faces and walk behind men. Others believe that every animals life is sacride. some one said in one of the forums that it's hard to believe there is a god, when you see a loved one suffering. I don't believe in god, but I still hold the values of life, kindness and compassion. If any thing I believe in nature, it has to be balanced ar it all goes. People animals plants die making room for the new life. Those that survive are stronger or have adapted will live on.

By *uneandtomCouple  over a year ago

Sunderland

[Removed by poster at 05/03/13 14:58:58]

By *uneandtomCouple  over a year ago

Sunderland

"Religion seems to set peoples morales, they affect the way we think in terms of right and wrong, some religions believe that women are below men, they have to cover their faces and walk behind men. Others believe that every animals life is sacride. some one said in one of the forums that it's hard to believe there is a god, when you see a loved one suffering. I don't believe in god, but I still hold the values of life, kindness and compassion. If any thing I believe in nature, it has to be balanced ar it all goes. People animals plants die making room for the new life. Those that survive are stronger or have adapted will live on. "

You seem to be in the same camp as me and Albert Einstein. Whilst the common notion of god from christianity, islam and any other religion is, to put it bluntly a load of b*****ks and fairy stories. The first particle that started the creation of the universe came from somewhere/something that we don't understand. So we keep an open mind until one day science understands completely how the universe came to exist

By *ickndomCouple  over a year ago

Wimborne

"Oh.....god! i thought it said cod, was gonna type stuff about batter n such Ok i know my spelling may not be best , lol but 3 letter words are my friend , lol "

Yes your spelling is poor, but you have stunning eyes and a great pair of boobs, buy as much has I would like to forgive the spelling thing i'm afraid I can not, so i'm afraid its across my desk missy

PS i'm no better at spelling than you.

God is what ever you want it to be

I believe in god, but i don't let any church get in the way of my relationship with god.

Free will?

We have a soul?

Do sperm have souls?

It's the sad truth

Or just your version of the truth. "

There is only 1 truth, different "beliefs" & different perceptions but the truth remains as 1 singular.

I know you don't all know the truth, however, that doesn't stop it being the truth.

I envy those that are able to live so ignorantly to famine, death, disease and rape, torture and molestation, "if I shut my eyes and clasp my hands it will not be"

Knowing the truth is depressing, but at least you're still sane

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

Are we discussing demi-gods as well?

Only I'd like to know as I'm one...

By *ETEN95Man  over a year ago

ipswich

Believing in god or any god for that matter doesn't always make you a better person,you only have to see the news and see how many priests are being done for this that and the other. Each to their own and shouldn't knock anyone for what they believe in,is my thought.

Happy swinging

Free will?

We have a soul?

Do sperm have souls?

It's the sad truth

There is only 1 truth, different "beliefs" & different perceptions but the truth remains as 1 singular.

I know you don't all know the truth, however, that doesn't stop it being the truth.

I envy those that are able to live so ignorantly to famine, death, disease and rape, torture and molestation, "if I shut my eyes and clasp my hands it will not be"

Knowing the truth is depressing, but at least you're still sane "

Sorry I should have phrased it better.

Or your belief of the truth, is that better ?

I believe religion was formed as a way of keeping law and order in times before justice systems.

The only thing any of can be certain of in life is death and therefore use that in heaven and hell scenarios to make people behave.

I know we haven't discovered everything in life yet as we make new discoveries all the time. So there are unexplained things we couldn't even fathom yet. Go back and show shakespeare electricity and imagine his reaction!

But I don't knock those who are religous.

As a child I had to attend a Catholic school. At around the age of around 15, we were given a lecture on evils of masturbation and how god was always watching you! Put me off wanking for weeks... So God had to go and now I an atheist... LOL.

Deviant City

"Are we discussing demi-gods as well?

Only I'd like to know as I'm one... "

yes, I believe that your the one and only Demi-God of Fab

Do I get a prize now?

I believe in christen values, I just don't believe I need to act that way cos of a god, I act that way cos I believe it is a good thing to do..

Free will?

We have a soul?

Do sperm have souls?

It's the sad truth

Knowing the truth is depressing, but at least you're still sane

Sorry I should have phrased it better.

Or your belief of the truth, is that better ? "

Here... On a forum, on a sex site...

Is not the place I'll argue/debate, I appreciate the sentiment and as you know, in democratic society we're all entitled to think/believe differently as long as it does not harm anyone else.

If you and I ever cross paths in person, maybe we could continue exchanging our differences until then though, I'm not in a position here to do any more than simply respect you as a fellow fabster

Peace & Love x

"God is what ever you want it to be "
yes i think your right xx

By *ngieandMrManCouple  over a year ago

hereford

I am the one and only God Almighty.

Now in keeping with every religion on the planet I do not have to prove that statement. Whats more, I refuse to prove it.

But can anyone prove I'm not God? Of course not but if I persisted in insisting that I'm God there is every chance I'd end up in a secure mental hospital.

Isn't it interesting that religious bodies can have so much power and influence on mankind while having absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support their claims!

Psychologically, it seems to me that religion is nothing more than irrational mass hysteria.

I used to growing up with a faith and i did for years but a couple of things happened and i lost it,and if there was a god it would never have happened so for me i have no faith at all anymore.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I am the one and only God Almighty.

Now in keeping with every religion on the planet I do not have to prove that statement. Whats more, I refuse to prove it.

But can anyone prove I'm not God? Of course not but if I persisted in insisting that I'm God there is every chance I'd end up in a secure mental hospital.

Isn't it interesting that religious bodies can have so much power and influence on mankind while having absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support their claims!

Psychologically, it seems to me that religion is nothing more than irrational mass hysteria."

Religion (whichever) provides people with a security blanket, a certainty relating to what happens after death for example. While I dont feel the need for it, I do understand and empathise that some people do. I would not argue with them... live and let live for me.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

There is no god to me, though I have no problem with people's beliefs in a deity. I just dislike when I am then lectured to to believe.

I do believe - I believe there is no god, now leave me alone! I don't try to convince you that there is no god!

*steps down off soapbox

Everything....

Yes there is....

Touchy for me being brought up as a catholic and then watching dry young children suffer the awful disease of cancer, my son included. I questioned my beliefs during this point in my life and decided that if there was a god then the diety would not allow the innocent to suffer the most horrific disease to humans. It was at this point that I decided not to be a practicing catholic as I no longer believed in gods ways or the way he/she works.

"There is no god to me, though I have no problem with people's beliefs in a deity. I just dislike when I am then lectured to to believe.

I do believe - I believe there is no god, now leave me alone! I don't try to convince you that there is no god!

*steps down off soapbox"

I will say this though - sometimes when I see a piece of art or listen to a beautiful piece of music like Miserere or Adagio for Strings... it makes me think there has to be something spiritual that inspired the composer....

After a face book message from an uncle whom i admire greatly..he was posting messages ridiculing evolutionary theory and extholing the autenticity of a young earth adam and eve noahs ark creationism..i responded by researching the young earth lobby. I had thought that creationism wae consigned to ancient myth ..i was wrong the fantastic notion that the earth was created after the domestication of dogs was still being esposed and taught especially in america. Upon my dissenting the theories of creation to my uncle he claimed quite patronisingly that though i had read the bible i didnt understand it. This prompted me to reread most of the scriptures. Upon doing so i realsed why the creationists felt the need to defend the theory . J esus according to scripture refers to genesis as a truehistorical fact thus rendering him a fraud. When you study the bible the sciences it requires intellectual suicide to believe in a god of the bible..a book of myth and metaphor. However religion dosnt quite deserve the demonisation it gets it does provide solace and warmth and even salvation to many. The real enemy is dogma and militant aethiests are often as dogmatic as the religious zealots they despise...would you go out of your way to convince a 6 year old the tioth fairy or father xmas dosnt exist

" How many believe in god. Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history. If there was a god why he or she let these things happen that are so bad at times in the world ? Is it for us to learn from ?. I don't knock anyone if you believe .Easter is almost here and very big time for church and was for me as a child ..Maybe it about values A control ? so it keeps us on the right path in life ? well what you think ? "

natural selection gives us the propencity to be alruistic this is nessesary for us to cohabit and proliferate the species..we dont need an innate sense of right or wrong bestowed on us by a diety and goodness is not the sole preserve of the believers they have no monopoly on benevolence and good

" How many believe in god. Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history. If there was a god why he or she let these things happen that are so bad at times in the world ? Is it for us to learn from ?. I don't knock anyone if you believe .Easter is almost here and very big time for church and was for me as a child ..Maybe it about values A control ? so it keeps us on the right path in life ? well what you think ? natural selection gives us the propencity to be alruistic this is nessesary for us to cohabit and proliferate the species..we dont need an innate sense of right or wrong bestowed on us by a diety and goodness is not the sole preserve of the believers they have no monopoly on benevolence and good"

I agree with the concept that altruism is largely (not entirely) rooted in common sense and the concept to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself as well as the desire to live in a society that does not pose a threat to self.

How people arrive at being kind and respectful to each other... is really irrelevant for me. As long as they are!

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

i think all religions are a form of control of the populus . mumbo jumbo that gave leaders permission to create and administer laws and moral codes.

i believe in god

" How many believe in god. Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history. If there was a god why he or she let these things happen that are so bad at times in the world ? Is it for us to learn from ?. I don't knock anyone if you believe .Easter is almost here and very big time for church and was for me as a child ..Maybe it about values A control ? so it keeps us on the right path in life ? well what you think ?

As is your right but is that a decision borne of blind faith and indoctrination or a decision arfived at having studied the origins of the universe and science. I ask as a compatriot forced into catholicism and one of the one in twenty to have abandoned my birth religion

i believe in god "

" How many believe in god. Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history. If there was a god why he or she let these things happen that are so bad at times in the world ? Is it for us to learn from ?. I don't knock anyone if you believe .Easter is almost here and very big time for church and was for me as a child ..Maybe it about values A control ? so it keeps us on the right path in life ? well what you think ? natural selection gives us the propencity to be alruistic this is nessesary for us to cohabit and proliferate the species..we dont need an innate sense of right or wrong bestowed on us by a diety and goodness is not the sole preserve of the believers they have no monopoly on benevolence and good

I agree with the concept that altruism is largely (not entirely) rooted in common sense and the concept to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself as well as the desire to live in a society that does not pose a threat to self.

How people arrive at being kind and respectful to each other... is really irrelevant for me. As long as they are! "

well put

if you dont mind me saying, most people call him up stairs, god. but i think , like youself and i , he has a name.

A man can argue with evidence against the delusion of a force for good governing all,

Believers argue with a lack of evidence and "faith", absolutely nothing but their word and the word of who told them

Debates about religions is all about whose imaginary friend is the best

By *e nicerWoman  over a year ago

Costa del Medway

"I think we are all on this planet through a total quirk of fate, a series of collisions, accidents and for some reason the right ingredients arrived on our planet to start and sustain life. In a few billion years our sun will burn out but we will be all long gone before this happens. Unless we can find some way of travelling a lot faster than current methods to start life on another planet out of our solar system we will be extinct and just maybe when our current planetary system blows up with us, another planet will evolve with the right ingredients to start life again and afresh. Whether this has anything to do with a god or not, I will keep an open mind, but as far as religion goes, the amount of trouble and strife it has caused from the start to current days, is absolutely abhorrent"

Im one for believing in evidence, as in darwins theory etc so cant believe in a "all powerful being" .

Religion is a personal thing and as such, people should be able to believe in whatever they wish.

I do think religion has caused a lot of trouble in the world ..in fact most of it.

I do wonder what they are fighting for sometimes as they destroy the very thing they are fighting for ???

You don't have to believe in or subscribe to a religion to have an open mind that it's possible we don't have all the answers.

And there's definitely power in faith. Sadly too often misguided.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

i saw god once ... she s black

By *rightloonMan  over a year ago

Stafford

"I have been a church goer all my life until recently. I used to go to Church and Sunday school by myself as a child (none of my family ever attended church, unless it was Weddings, Funerals or Baptisms).

I had a strong belief in Christianity and was proud of my faith. On a Sunday, you'd catch me with a tambourine at the Christian fellowship!

But as my health deteriorated and I became isolated from friends and family, I began to question my faith, the whole why me? I couldn't accept my diagnosis, I couldn't accept the way my life had become, I had tried to be a good Christian, I wasn't perfect, but I tried. I was really struggling with life. I thought God was punishing me. So I stopped going to Church, I hid my bible, hid all my Christian CD's and started swinging, primarily to make new friends.

I think my faith is still there, deep down, but I felt let down by God, as he wasn't there when I needed him most."

Pardon me for the ensuing uproar this will cause but to hell with it anyway (sic)...

When major problems arise and our backs are against the wall then what do we turn to?

Have you ever considered that God might have arranged this specifically to test your faith? To put it another way: Are you willing to let go of your health for faith? If you are then could this be the key to you finding a cure?

Should you actually be flattered that you have been singled out for this test?

The cure for any chronic long term illness is always the same basic prescription: Think only loving thoughts. Its so dumb but so very true.

This is the most positive way that I would approach your situation and OK I know its easy for me to say but at least give me marks for attempting to break the disillusionment that you feel. X

"Im one for believing in evidence, as in darwins theory etc so cant believe in a "all powerful being" .

Religion is a personal thing and as such, people should be able to believe in whatever they wish.

I do think religion has caused a lot of trouble in the world ..in fact most of it.

I do wonder what they are fighting for sometimes as they destroy the very thing they are fighting for ??? "

Agreed, same wave length x

By *ady4ladyWoman  over a year ago

liverpool

If you havent seen it, watch 'Life of Pi', brilliant and thought provoking. x

"I think we are all on this planet through a total quirk of fate, a series of collisions, accidents and for some reason the right ingredients arrived on our planet to start and sustain life. In a few billion years our sun will burn out but we will be all long gone before this happens. Unless we can find some way of travelling a lot faster than current methods to start life on another planet out of our solar system we will be extinct and just maybe when our current planetary system blows up with us, another planet will evolve with the right ingredients to start life again and afresh. Whether this has anything to do with a god or not, I will keep an open mind, but as far as religion goes, the amount of trouble and strife it has caused from the start to current days, is absolutely abhorrent

42"

Please excuse my ignorance but what does 42 mean?

Why would I believe in an entity, that has not one single shred of evidence that points to it's existence? And don't give me that "there must be something" tosh, because that is just shallow thinking. Give yourself a reason to live, don't wait for a man in a funny hat and a silly book to give you one.

"I think we are all on this planet through a total quirk of fate, a series of collisions, accidents and for some reason the right ingredients arrived on our planet to start and sustain life. In a few billion years our sun will burn out but we will be all long gone before this happens. Unless we can find some way of travelling a lot faster than current methods to start life on another planet out of our solar system we will be extinct and just maybe when our current planetary system blows up with us, another planet will evolve with the right ingredients to start life again and afresh. Whether this has anything to do with a god or not, I will keep an open mind, but as far as religion goes, the amount of trouble and strife it has caused from the start to current days, is absolutely abhorrent

Please excuse my ignorance but what does 42 mean?"

It is the meaning of life as calculated by the supercomputer in The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. But it then had to work out what the ACTUAL question was.

By *ristofskiTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

I'm a pantheist, which means I see the universe and everything in it as the ever unfurling body of God. But then I also believe that belief is a tool and "truth" is a construct, so what do I know.

Free will?

We have a soul?

Do sperm have souls?

It's the sad truth

I am guessing you don't own a tambourine ?"

Bussy, that made me chuckle!

I don't believe in God or religion, but respect those that do so long as they respect my decision not to believe. I'm sure it's comforting though to have faith that there is a master plan or someone looking out for us but I just don't buy into it...especially when some religious establishments are happy to live in luxury when their followers are often in poverty

"I'm a pantheist, which means I see the universe and everything in it as the ever unfurling body of God. But then I also believe that belief is a tool and "truth" is a construct, so what do I know."

That's cheating! Your just changing the definition of what a god is.

Whatever makes you happy. I know what I like, and I like what I know.

By *icky55Man  over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

God lives in the toilet, I heard a lot of people talking to him after they finished throwing up.

Bristol

"I'm a pantheist, which means I see the universe and everything in it as the ever unfurling body of God. But then I also believe that belief is a tool and "truth" is a construct, so what do I know.

That's cheating! Your just changing the definition of what a god is.

Whatever makes you happy. I know what I like, and I like what I know."

haha! And who gets to decide who/what God is? The abrahamic vision of Jehovah the father, along with monotheism generally, is relatively modern. There are many other options to explore!

By *igSuki81Man  over a year ago

Retirement Village

" ... Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history... "

Sorry to only partly quote your post & possibly go off topic but really

What wars were caused by religion?

I'm not a very religous person but i don't think religion causes wars. Peoples desire to dominate/rule over others can be seen as a major contributor to wars. I personally feel religion is just used an excuse to justify a war. Just my thoughts for what they're worth

By *ady4ladyWoman  over a year ago

liverpool

"God lives in the toilet, I heard a lot of people talking to him after they finished throwing up. "

And there it was....... hidden among the intensive weave of belief v non belief....... the true meaning of life

"Why would I believe in an entity, that has not one single shred of evidence that points to it's existence? And don't give me that "there must be something" tosh, because that is just shallow thinking. Give yourself a reason to live, don't wait for a man in a funny hat and a silly book to give you one. "

Isn't it a bit shallow to dismiss any further thought, on the basis of how we, as an insignificant tiny little blip on the earth choose to interpret the things we know of?

Bristol

" ... Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history...

I'm not a very religous person but i don't think religion causes wars. Peoples desire to dominate/rule over others can be seen as a major contributor to wars. I personally feel religion is just used an excuse to justify a war. Just my thoughts for what they're worth"

very true, in reality war tends to be about power or resources. Religion is generally just thrown in as a bonus.

nothing points to it, and nothing points away from it

so it only comes down to a self belief..unfortuantely, in MY opinion those that follow teachings etc blindly are brainwashed so its doubtful I'd listen to their preachings.

I live in the real world, the solid world..I dont discount there are other dimensions(here comes the science bit)- as science also tells us things are not always as they seem

I basically think we are just living in a fractal world, so like germs in a Petr-dish we could be unware of whats happening below or above us in the terms of gods and men..

the big bang..well that could be the splitting of the atom to a higher sentient being

" ... Loads of wars caused over religion than anything else in history...

I'm not a very religous person but i don't think religion causes wars. Peoples desire to dominate/rule over others can be seen as a major contributor to wars. I personally feel religion is just used an excuse to justify a war. Just my thoughts for what they're worth

very true, in reality war tends to be about power or resources. Religion is generally just thrown in as a bonus."

I often wonder about that. If humans had any real sense of survival - they would not start "war on our brothers in arms"

"nothing points to it, and nothing points away from it

so it only comes down to a self belief..unfortuantely, in MY opinion those that follow teachings etc blindly are brainwashed so its doubtful I'd listen to their preachings.

I live in the real world, the solid world..I dont discount there are other dimensions(here comes the science bit)- as science also tells us things are not always as they seem

I basically think we are just living in a fractal world, so like germs in a Petr-dish we could be unware of whats happening below or above us in the terms of gods and men..

the big bang..well that could be the splitting of the atom to a higher sentient being "

Yep And the possibility that science took a wrong direction and much of what it is based on is fundamentally wrong - its only our understanding and it's changed radically many, many times.

For the undecided among us I can recommend that you watch a docufilm called Zeitgeist: The Movie, available on YouTube. Completely rips apart religion as being merely a mechanism with which to control and manipulate the populace.

"For the undecided among us I can recommend that you watch a docufilm called Zeitgeist: The Movie, available on YouTube. Completely rips apart religion as being merely a mechanism with which to control and manipulate the populace. "

That's already mostly my opinion on religion. That doesn't eliminate that there 'may' be some form of 'god'.

"If you havent seen it, watch 'Life of Pi', brilliant and thought provoking. x"
there is more evidence for a diety or intelligent design in watching the life of pi and the wonderful kalaidascope of life and nature and its brutality than in a thousand bibles. A kindred spirit it is a truly awe inspiring film

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

Direct answer

Nothing and No

How many times do I have to ask for credible evidence from "true believers" who somehow seem to know that god exists?

We know 2+2=4 because we have calculated it. Before it was calculated, would I be correct in assuming that 2+2=59.8 , just because a shaman, priest (politicians in disguise) or a magician told me it was because he had had a divine revelation?

No, you would call me a gullible fool.

"i don't know if there is or not. like lots of people on here i have had my share of knocks over the last few years and just recently have started to look up in the air and praying, just in case the big man does exist!! "

done that and also ask why

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

i wouldn't deny anyone their faith,but as the influence of the church diminishes people are beginning to question the concept of God and the Bible.I don't know enough about other religions and how they are getting on though.

I like the idea put forward in Terry Pratchetts books, that as a gods number of followers and their strength of faith dwindles, then so does their power. Pretty much an allegory for all religions that believe in a god.

By *ngieandMrManCouple  over a year ago

hereford

A few days ago the Mrs and I got into questioning religion inspired by a line in the film Gladiator just before the start of a battle...

"...and if you find yourself alone, don't worry, you are in Elysium and you're already dead!"

I wondered how many of the soldiers wouldn't be there ready to die if they were not brainwashed into believing in some divine after life?

The Suicide Bomber, would they exist without a belief in an after life that's been promised to them by the religion they follow?

I don't mean to draw this off track, the point is, isn't it incredible how people will put the most fantastic amount of trust in something that is truly out of this world and incredibly powerful that as absolutely no burden of proof...

We have trouble believing that a guy will turn up when he says he will!

But the simple fact is, some of them do actually turn up. Perhaps we should pray more but somehow I don't think it will make any difference

"A few days ago the Mrs and I got into questioning religion inspired by a line in the film Gladiator just before the start of a battle...

"...and if you find yourself alone, don't worry, you are in Elysium and you're already dead!"

I wondered how many of the soldiers wouldn't be there ready to die if they were not brainwashed into believing in some divine after life?

The Suicide Bomber, would they exist without a belief in an after life that's been promised to them by the religion they follow?

I don't mean to draw this off track, the point is, isn't it incredible how people will put the most fantastic amount of trust in something that is truly out of this world and incredibly powerful that as absolutely no burden of proof...

But the simple fact is, some of them do actually turn up. Perhaps we should pray more but somehow I don't think it will make any difference"

I think the suicidebombers aspect is martyrdom of a financial aspect..its probably just as fake as life insurance policies etc(yeahh am sure theyll always pay out before going bust)...extremists have such a lot of trust towards their 'leaders'- young family orientated,struggling to survive?-join a good cause and set ur family up for generations

ridiculous of course...depending on ur viewpoint of course

Deviant City

"I have been a church goer all my life until recently. I used to go to Church and Sunday school by myself as a child (none of my family ever attended church, unless it was Weddings, Funerals or Baptisms).

I think my faith is still there, deep down, but I felt let down by God, as he wasn't there when I needed him most.

Pardon me for the ensuing uproar this will cause but to hell with it anyway (sic)...

When major problems arise and our backs are against the wall then what do we turn to?

Have you ever considered that God might have arranged this specifically to test your faith? To put it another way: Are you willing to let go of your health for faith? If you are then could this be the key to you finding a cure?

The cure for any chronic long term illness is always the same basic prescription: Think only loving thoughts. Its so dumb but so very true.

This is the most positive way that I would approach your situation and OK I know its easy for me to say but at least give me marks for attempting to break the disillusionment that you feel. X"

Thanks for your reply, its certainly food for thought. I gave up to easily

I believed in God but we sold him to Barcelona!!! Thierry Henry!!! Lol

"How many times do I have to ask for credible evidence from "true believers" who somehow seem to know that god exists?

We know 2+2=4 because we have calculated it. Before it was calculated, would I be correct in assuming that 2+2=59.8 , just because a shaman, priest (politicians in disguise) or a magician told me it was because he had had a divine revelation?

No, you would call me a gullible fool."

Who invented numbers?

The National Lottery. AND they persistently sell me the wrong ones.

"The National Lottery. AND they persistently sell me the wrong ones."

They messed them up here too

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

"A few days ago the Mrs and I got into questioning religion inspired by a line in the film Gladiator just before the start of a battle...

But the simple fact is, some of them do actually turn up. Perhaps we should pray more but somehow I don't think it will make any difference"

Just demonstrates the weakness of men's minds willing to follow like sheep..and how some will do anything to have power over others

No there isn't a god!!! end of thread

I am a none believer for my own reasons and have found no experience along the way to change my views. I have had more than my fair share of tragic life experiences and shared that of friends. How can a large number of people die from a wide variety of illness and circumstances when among us in society people abuse others use drugs and live charmed lives for it. For me there is no equilibrium.

I would never knock or mock others beliefs. I do believe it's a man constructed image used to control. However if people find comfort then good for them. I was once stopped by someone promoting his religion. Not to be rude I asked why he believed in god? His reply "because the good book says so" I said "does that also make batman and other superheroes real as they are also in books?" he had no real answer. I suspect he didn't understand either

If people believe in god then surely they must also believe in the devil? If there is good there is always evil as well. I don't believe in god, Jesus et al.

"How many times do I have to ask for credible evidence from "true believers" who somehow seem to know that god exists?

Who invented numbers?"

I'd say anything or anyone that can judge distance or plot time.They dont have to understand or explain how to use it.

"If people believe in god then surely they must also believe in the devil? If there is good there is always evil as well. I don't believe in god, Jesus et al."

God and the devil exist, with good and evil...

Stafford

This is the most positive way that I would approach your situation and OK I know its easy for me to say but at least give me marks for attempting to break the disillusionment that you feel. X

Thanks for your reply, its certainly food for thought. I gave up to easily "

In order to find something it is first necessary to loose it.

Who invented numbers?"

Mankind did, the numbers we use are just a representation on paper, computer or in our heads of the world we see. Different cultures had different mathematical notations.

Who invented numbers?

Mankind did, the numbers we use are just a representation on paper, computer or in our heads of the world we see. Different cultures had different mathematical notations."

Therefore we only 'know' it according to the rules we created ourselves.

"If people believe in god then surely they must also believe in the devil? If there is good there is always evil as well. I don't believe in god, Jesus et al.

God and the devil exist, with good and evil..."

Assuming your talking about the Abrahamic God, then Lucifer was an Archangel cast out of heaven because he got ideas above his station. Hell is therefore not a sulphurous burning pit, but just not being able to be in the company of god.

I have read the bible many times (and some of the apocrypha). Know thine enemy!

Who invented numbers?

Mankind did, the numbers we use are just a representation on paper, computer or in our heads of the world we see. Different cultures had different mathematical notations.

Therefore we only 'know' it according to the rules we created ourselves. "

If you are going down that path, what is truly up, down, left or right? If you are going to doubt every facet of reality because everything can be construed as being a man made construct or representation then that makes all imaginings possible. Does a zebra dressed as Doctor Who control the universe? Maybe, but we all see it as a man with a white beard because of the way our brains filter things? We can only deal with the tangible world. Everything else may as well be in Narnia.

Who invented numbers?

If you are going down that path, what is truly up, down, left or right? If you are going to doubt every facet of reality because everything can be construed as being a man made construct or representation then that makes all imaginings possible. Does a zebra dressed as Doctor Who control the universe? Maybe, but we all see it as a man with a white beard because of the way our brains filter things? We can only deal with the tangible world. Everything else may as well be in Narnia."

We may only be able to 'deal' with the tangible world, but my point is that the world we have created, with our rules, our interpretations does not mean that things beyond our comprehension do not exist.

Your request for credible evidence is perhaps more a request for evidence that suits your own viewpoint. If there were such a thing as a god, why would it be interested in any of us, and therefore why should we ever expect to be able to prove anything on our terms?

Who invented numbers?

If you are going down that path, what is truly up, down, left or right? If you are going to doubt every facet of reality because everything can be construed as being a man made construct or representation then that makes all imaginings possible. Does a zebra dressed as Doctor Who control the universe? Maybe, but we all see it as a man with a white beard because of the way our brains filter things? We can only deal with the tangible world. Everything else may as well be in Narnia.

We may only be able to 'deal' with the tangible world, but my point is that the world we have created, with our rules, our interpretations does not mean that things beyond our comprehension do not exist.

Your request for credible evidence is perhaps more a request for evidence that suits your own viewpoint. If there were such a thing as a god, why would it be interested in any of us, and therefore why should we ever expect to be able to prove anything on our terms?"

That is the same convenient get out clause that god-botherers use to defend their inability to provide proof or evidence. "I don't need to". Then ask them why does their god not communicate with us - "he chooses not to". Why does he let his chosen people suffer - "he is testing them".

Can't people see when they are being taken for a ride? Religion has the most childish answers, and tries to palm them off as being deeply thought out philosophical musings.

I don't see your kind of preaching as any different to their kind of preaching. Both could be accused of ignorance.

Religion is without doubt created by man. That does not mean we have all the answers.

"I don't see your kind of preaching as any different to their kind of preaching. Both could be accused of ignorance.

Religion is without doubt created by man. That does not mean we have all the answers. "

We only have what we can work with. Everything else is pie in the sky. We left the age of magic hundreds of years ago, and we are slowly coming out of the age of religion. We are entering the age of truth, by using what is in front of us and explaining by EVIDENCE and PROOF. We also now (because of science), do something unheard of in the past. We say that this is the way something works, as far as we know. When asked a question that we cannot explain, we answer truthfully, "we don't yet know". We certainly don't make stuff up to suit our political ends.

"I don't see your kind of preaching as any different to their kind of preaching. Both could be accused of ignorance.

Religion is without doubt created by man. That does not mean we have all the answers.

We only have what we can work with. Everything else is pie in the sky. We left the age of magic hundreds of years ago, and we are slowly coming out of the age of religion. We are entering the age of truth, by using what is in front of us and explaining by EVIDENCE and PROOF. We also now (because of science), do something unheard of in the past. We say that this is the way something works, as far as we know. When asked a question that we cannot explain, we answer truthfully, "we don't yet know". We certainly don't make stuff up to suit our political ends."

Yet you didn't answer 'we don't yet know'.

We only have what we can work with. Everything else is pie in the sky. We left the age of magic hundreds of years ago, and we are slowly coming out of the age of religion. We are entering the age of truth, by using what is in front of us and explaining by EVIDENCE and PROOF. We also now (because of science), do something unheard of in the past. We say that this is the way something works, as far as we know. When asked a question that we cannot explain, we answer truthfully, "we don't yet know". We certainly don't make stuff up to suit our political ends.

Yet you didn't answer 'we don't yet know'."

I refer you back to the point about the Zebra dressed as Doctor Who. It's pointless saying "we don't yet know" to something that by it's definition will always allude us.

I can think of a million and one gods and the unicorns that they ride around on, but it would be silly of me to investigate each one "just in case".

To assume that the gods believed in by the people of this planet, are more likely to exist than my zebra, is just silly.

The next line of defence by religion is to jump up and down and shout "it's true, it't true IT'S TRUE!!!". That is the only argument they have.

As I said previously I can see no real difference between the preaching on either side - they may well shout "It's true, it's true", meanwhile there you are shouting "It's false, it's false".

Neither in my opinion is correct, and neither is a discussion.

By *ss2011Man  over a year ago

Leeds/Bradford

The Devil and God are raging inside me.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

I'm a Sex God...I know this because every time I mention sex, she says 'oh God'

"I'm a Sex God...I know this because every time I mention sex, she says 'oh God' "

Is that 'OH GOD!!' or 'oh, god'?

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no....NO!!!

And I think you will find that proves it.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

We only have what we can work with. Everything else is pie in the sky. We left the age of magic hundreds of years ago, and we are slowly coming out of the age of religion. We are entering the age of truth, by using what is in front of us and explaining by EVIDENCE and PROOF. We also now (because of science), do something unheard of in the past. We say that this is the way something works, as far as we know. When asked a question that we cannot explain, we answer truthfully, "we don't yet know". We certainly don't make stuff up to suit our political ends."

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

i still beleive in brian,he's as good as all the rest,plus,to date,no deaths.

heavenly and earthly entities existed before god in the eyes of early man..u only have to look at cave paintings to know that..

what probably happened next was a rise in the emotive reasoning skills, and in turn the cleverer people learned to manipulate others to their own will

By *quirrelMan  over a year ago

North Yorks

I think the problem of christianith in this country and of what/who to believe in that it has been hijacked by commercialism motivated by the profit to be made.

Christmas was/is a celebration of the birth of Christ, easter, mothers/fathers day, and many others have all lost their meaning, the commercial sector has even introduced celebrations from abroad to increase card and gift sales. Instead of celebrating their true meaning they have become the reason to go to parties and have a booze fuelled holiday at rthe expense of our liver and bank account. The country has lost its spiritual belief and replaced it with the belief that the only way to enjoy these occasions is to spend, spend and spend some more.

Stafford

I agree with this but only in so far as it applies to dogma. This is also quite western biased when the world is such a small place now. Something happening in Afghanistan can years later cause the biggest buildings to be attacked in New York and destroyed.

It is fine for us here in the UK to say that it is the age of scientific reasoning and religion is dieing out and I agree with what you are saying in this sense but in the "majority world" the situation is entirely different.

In Africa there are Sharmans alive and well and practicing their thing as they have for the last x thousand years. Africa too is taking over Christianity. You cannot get into the churches over there - its standing room only.

We are very much in a state of flux and there are deep and sometimes insoluble questions to ponder.

» Add a new message to this topic