FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > "Real" connections...

"Real" connections...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eli OP   Woman 41 weeks ago

Do you think it's possible on Fab to find real connections? It doesn't necessarily have to be sex based, it can also be platonic friendships.

Is that something you're interested in or do you actively seek to keep things on a Fab level?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ora the explorerWoman 41 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

Absolutely it is

By (user no longer on site) 41 weeks ago

Totally it is

By *aitonelMan 41 weeks ago

Liverpool

It's possible, the majority of them are not "real" though. It's kind of how lust or infatuation is mistaken for love.

Yeah there is some sort of mutual connection, but for the most part it is entirely based around the physical attraction of nakedness. Very few actually reach the point of truly connecting and just getting on regardless of "the sex" need.

Liverpool

"It's possible, the majority of them are not "real" though. It's kind of how lust or infatuation is mistaken for love.

Yeah there is some sort of mutual connection, but for the most part it is entirely based around the physical attraction of nakedness. Very few actually reach the point of truly connecting and just getting on regardless of "the sex" need. "

Addition to the above.

How many "connections", not just the odd one, actually involve none sex stuff and in fact rarely have any kind of flirting. It all comes back to the sex

By *ealitybitesMan 41 weeks ago

Belfast

Some of my best friends are people I've met through fab and have never had sex with.

A few of them are no longer on the site but we are in regular touch and meet up socially.

My best male friend is one of those.

My fwb is my best female friend and there is equally as much emphasis on our friendship as there is on the benefits.

"Do you think it's possible on Fab to find real connections? It doesn't necessarily have to be sex based, it can also be platonic friendships.

Is that something you're interested in or do you actively seek to keep things on a Fab level?"

Possible, just much much much much harder

I’ve fostered every type of connection possible, from relationship, fwb, ons and long term friendships, all from a “hey how’s your night” down the pub

That type of message very rarely seeing a reply here

By *icecouple561Couple 41 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

You can find a 'real' connection anywhere. Its a rare thing though and I think a lot of people mistakenly believe they've found it after very brief interaction

Liverpool

"You can find a 'real' connection anywhere. Its a rare thing though and I think a lot of people mistakenly believe they've found it after very brief interaction "

Exactly! It's very easy to mistake - more often than not it's one sided too.

"Absolutely it is "

See, I think this is true. I don't think things are lessened because of where they're founded. I do think that they're sometimes incorrectly labelled as such, we all know someone who quickly believes something is a Big Thing.

Maybe it's about coupling realism with optimism? This is very much a stream of consciousness.

By *imisugarWoman 41 weeks ago

Rugby

Yes- definitely some nice people on here.

I can honestly say i have found someone on here that i feel a real connection with. Its a connection i didnt know was humanely possible. Not going into details but its true.

By *hriscooperMan 41 weeks ago

Warrington

Of course... 100%

"Do you think it's possible on Fab to find real connections? It doesn't necessarily have to be sex based, it can also be platonic friendships.

Is that something you're interested in or do you actively seek to keep things on a Fab level?"

So looking for this

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan 41 weeks ago

Glasgow

One of the things our children will find most quaint about our generation is that we distinguish the digital from the real.

I’m paraphrasing William Gibson there, but it sums up how I feel pretty well. Online relationships *are* real relationships. This place, you people, *are* real.

Yes it can be found on Fab and when you do it puts fun on a whole different level. Admittedly finding people with that real connection can be few and far between, but we'll worth the wait IMHO

By *ave05Man 41 weeks ago

Chelmsford Essex

I think finding some platonic friendships on here must be a great rewarding connection without the sex and should be valued with common link of using the site. I would like to find new friends this way.

By *affeine DuskMan 41 weeks ago

Caerphilly

As far as online connections that lead to friendships go... I think merely by being here, there's a level of honesty about one's self that is less apparent than other forms of social media.

And I like that. That's the kinda people I like.

So short story, yes. Can't waffle today pal, I have the real-lifeys to do. Sad emoji!

By *heekyDemandCouple 41 weeks ago

Leicester

We met through swinging and now are setting up a life together, have made great friends. It's not all about sex, even if we do.

I guess we can never know if someone intentions are purely good when you meet people this way but sometimes relationships become more real. People start to drop their guard, open up a little more of their lives and have a friendship with someone.. when this happens, there's no doubting if it's real.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 41 weeks ago

Leeds

For me personally just on fab no, I don't believe online friendships to be real people online & in real life can differ hugely.

However if I go on to meet these people in person then yes I can form a great connection but not by just online only.

Mrs

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"One of the things our children will find most quaint about our generation is that we distinguish the digital from the real.

I’m paraphrasing William Gibson there, but it sums up how I feel pretty well. Online relationships *are* real relationships. This place, you people, *are* real."

I think that's where the danger lies. People forget they're interacting with a person with feelings and will claim a deep connection when there really isn't one on their side, because they can see sex at the end if it.

By *ellinever70Woman 41 weeks ago

Ayrshire

It's perhaps because of my age, but any online connection is only ever going to be at a purely surface level for me.

Anything else would only develop based on time spent in the real world

Many people who are in online connections will tell you they are reall. Real emotions. Real heartbreak. Real support.

We forget though that online isn’t new so to speak. As someone who served for 23 years whilst away we had “blueys” then “e-bluesy” and letter writing.

So the ability to connect and stay connected is very much real.

The main issue though is trust. Trust what they are telling you in the truth and not their version to win favour of you.

Much harder to “suss” out via texting

So feelings can be made and found. For sure they can.

Liverpool

"For me personally just on fab no, I don't believe online friendships to be real people online & in real life can differ hugely.

However if I go on to meet these people in person then yes I can form a great connection but not by just online only.

Mrs "

What makes a friendship real?

By *heekyDemandCouple 41 weeks ago

Leicester

"One of the things our children will find most quaint about our generation is that we distinguish the digital from the real.

I’m paraphrasing William Gibson there, but it sums up how I feel pretty well. Online relationships *are* real relationships. This place, you people, *are* real.

I think that's where the danger lies. People forget they're interacting with a person with feelings and will claim a deep connection when there really isn't one on their side, because they can see sex at the end if it. "

Not sure we can blame the medium for introduction, it's just as unlikely to find a real connection by hitting the cattle market bars in town face to face. Sure, you may still get a snog and back to someone's place for a shag, but the hit rate for a real connection is pitifully low.

For me, getting sex out of the way opens up the pathway to communication and future friendship or relationship.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 41 weeks ago

Leeds

"For me personally just on fab no, I don't believe online friendships to be real people online & in real life can differ hugely.

Mrs

What makes a friendship real?"

Knowing the real person & not just the online persona, having the real in life connection not the online one, feeling comfortable with that person knowing you can chat when needed and vice versa.

Mrs

"It's possible, the majority of them are not "real" though. It's kind of how lust or infatuation is mistaken for love.

Yeah there is some sort of mutual connection, but for the most part it is entirely based around the physical attraction of nakedness. Very few actually reach the point of truly connecting and just getting on regardless of "the sex" need. "

I'm not sure how true that is - well the majority part. I agree with it to a certain extent; people do confuse excitement/feelings and get swept away with the idea of something rather than what it really is.

I think on a site like this it's to be expected that a lot of interactions are sex based. At first at least. I do think that more than "very few" reach that point.

By *rHotNottsMan 41 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Yeah there is some sort of mutual connection, but for the most part it is entirely based around the physical attraction of nakedness. Very few actually reach the point of truly connecting and just getting on regardless of "the sex" need.

Addition to the above.

How many "connections", not just the odd one, actually involve none sex stuff and in fact rarely have any kind of flirting. It all comes back to the sex"

That’s not how I use this site at all. All my connections have been very real and there’s no flirting. You know your friends best, only when you need them most and what they are prepared to do and it makes no difference how and where you met them.

By *eroLondonMan 41 weeks ago

Mayfair

Yes it is possible. I've found several from here with whom I meet for socials, luncheons, dinner, art and Åfternoon Teå.

Fab is the last place from which I expected this but I've embraced it. I quite like it.

Those who are platonic and non-platonic do not overlap the venn diagram...but one or two are creeping towards it!

By *aith SkynbyrdWoman 41 weeks ago

Somewhere else

[Removed by poster at 11/12/23 11:32:27]

By *a1970Man 41 weeks ago

East cork

Yes... And looking

By *aith SkynbyrdWoman 41 weeks ago

Somewhere else

I’ll consider platonic with anyone except Those People.

They know who they are.

100 % i think so x

By *lym4realCouple 41 weeks ago

plymouth

100% made some great friends on here and ones where we've been adult's and had a conversation where we like each others company but not in that way ?? and so had many a great night just chilling out and having a laugh and also met afew through our friends who we have had some sexy fun with !!

Liverpool

Addition to the above.

How many "connections", not just the odd one, actually involve none sex stuff and in fact rarely have any kind of flirting. It all comes back to the sex

That’s not how I use this site at all. All my connections have been very real and there’s no flirting. You know your friends best, only when you need them most and what they are prepared to do and it makes no difference how and where you met them."

That's not what I'm saying. I have more "friends" from online interactions (none fab) from all over the world than most people have actual in person friends, so I know the reality and importance of those regardless of where it originated.

However when it comes to fab, the overwhelming majority of people (not all) will most certainly be mistaken by how deep or strong that connection is.

Connections from here are real, yes. Very few will truly be based upon actual friendship first at both ends. One end will be stronger than the other. It's a selfish place at its core.

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan 41 weeks ago

Glasgow

"… or do you actively seek to keep things on a Fab level?"

I think I actually have an issue with this part of Meli’s OP.

What does it mean to ‘keep things on a Fab level’? Is it just way of saying that you’d consciously put up barriers to really getting close to people? Why would you do that? Isn’t it just fear?

By *affron40Woman 41 weeks ago

manchester

I’ve not used this place for anything sexual in several years. But I have kept in touch with a few people and still see them whether I’m here or not. I’m seeing 2 this week as I’m stuck at home recovering and that’s really lovely. In some ways the folks that come round for a brew and a chat are more important than the reasons I originally joined.

However, as Kai said, there are people who pretend to be friends whilst you’re useful to them. Not friends on the level I’m used to. That’s shit. But it’s just about spitting those who actually give a shit and respect you as a human being.

Liverpool

I will also add, yes I've connected with a couple of people. Varying degrees of connection, and in different ways. But most of them have been on a single thing or subject we have in common. I enjoy chatting to them, but it's limited.

Only two of them have been actual strong connections that has either of us interested in how the other is doing. Checking in. Talking about very random things that other people wouldn't get.

By *atnip make me purrWoman 41 weeks ago

Reading

I have found a few. So wonderful to find.

By *imi_RougeWoman 41 weeks ago

Portsmouth

Of course it is, online friends are real friends. I've had lots over the years on various platforms.

"It's perhaps because of my age, but any online connection is only ever going to be at a purely surface level for me.

Anything else would only develop based on time spent in the real world "

This

Once, maybe.

These days it's kept purely on a fab level.

By *elshcouple18Couple 41 weeks ago

Cardiff

Yep.. our first ever meet from fab have turned into good friends..

"Some of my best friends are people I've met through fab and have never had sex with.

A few of them are no longer on the site but we are in regular touch and meet up socially.

My best male friend is one of those.

My fwb is my best female friend and there is equally as much emphasis on our friendship as there is on the benefits. "

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. I used to say that certain friendships transcended Fab but I think that in some ways, it's doing Fab a disservice. What I really mean is that I've got strong platonic friendships that remain whether or not we're on the site. We spend time together doing non related Fab things - I'm currently looking at a spa break with a couple of them.

By *ellinever70Woman 41 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"… or do you actively seek to keep things on a Fab level?

I think I actually have an issue with this part of Meli’s OP.

What does it mean to ‘keep things on a Fab level’? Is it just way of saying that you’d consciously put up barriers to really getting close to people? Why would you do that? Isn’t it just fear?"

Fear of it all being an online fantasy? I think that's just prudent

"Possible, just much much much much harder

I’ve fostered every type of connection possible, from relationship, fwb, ons and long term friendships, all from a “hey how’s your night” down the pub

That type of message very rarely seeing a reply here "

Yes, that easy casual communication often gets short shrift but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. On here I think there's an expectation of almost side stepping the small talk when first talking to someone in a way that's not expected face to face.

I do agree with it being far harder. Not always but in terms opening a conversation with another successfully? Yes.

I've made some good connections and have stayed friends with people I have met through fab who I meet socially and conversation is easier as you can discuss about the lifestyle and seek opinions

In short. Yes.

By *ily WhiteWoman 41 weeks ago

?

Yes. Yes I do.

And that's coming from a cynical old mare who doesn't like many people at all, and who takes an age to upgrade anyone from acquaintance to friend.

There's the odd diamond to be found in this sea of vacuity.

It is most definitely possible. I'm quite realistic about the fact that, until meeting in person, we all may be prone to unwittingly "filling in the gaps" of their personalities with our imagination, attributing qualities to them that aren't really there. I have been guilty of that in the past with online connections.

However, a lesson was learned and I'm very grateful to have made 3 very dear friends through fab who I care about deeply. I know they care about me in return as the communication and interest in my wellbeing continues whether or not I'm active on here.

By *red333Man 41 weeks ago

Dorchester

I seek a relationship i guess

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple 41 weeks ago

Southampton

We've made some good friends through fab, some of whom we have "fun" with

By *yesgreenMan 41 weeks ago

north and south

"I seek a relationship i guess "
Yes likeminded people can be friends and not necessarily fancy the person they are going to meet, but share fantasies ? You !

By *viatrixWoman 41 weeks ago

Redhill

Absolutely. At least for me it is completely possible.

Someone i’ve known for 5 years and have actively made a part of my life *dared* to say that I was only part of an alternative world/life. To say that he’s off the Christmas list is a huge understatement….

I am usually a good judge of character but here I clearly failed. Wow. 5 years!

By *midnight-Woman 41 weeks ago

I think connections on fab are confusing

By *wist my nipplesCouple 41 weeks ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Yes.

It's something I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of myself into over the years. Sometimes it's endured, sometimes not. Sometimes I've read the situation wrongly. Sometimes I've wanted something to be more than it is. Other times it has been very easy, a delight to make connections in unexpected ways.

I don't subscribe to the idea that fab isn't real life. It just has different rules of engagement at times. Sometimes my expectations haven't aligned with others. I think I've got better at navigating that, though.

Mrs TMN x

By *heGateKeeperMan 41 weeks ago

Stratford

I would say so. I feel like I’ve had some very genuine interactions and connections on here

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple 41 weeks ago

Southampton

"I would say so. I feel like I’ve had some very genuine interactions and connections on here "

By *ittleMissCaliWoman 41 weeks ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

yes 100% ... I have some amazing friends that are more like family... and also met someone that I've totally connected with friendship wise, romantically and sexually xx

By *midnight-Woman 41 weeks ago

"Sometimes my expectations haven't aligned with others. I think I've got better at navigating that, though.

Mrs TMN x"

Yes this xx

By *alentTeaseMan 41 weeks ago

Birmingham

I wish I had a friend

By *ikaCoupleCouple 41 weeks ago

Runcorn

We’ve made some amazing friends on here that aren’t all about sex, we’ve always said we’d prefer to make good friends then just have a fuck and go haha connection is so important and with some people you just click

By *oxesMan 41 weeks ago

Southend, Essex

Totally Fab is X Luke the outsider world. Howeverlike the outside works people adapt as people you might be close friends with a couple one year and then have totally lost contact another.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 41 weeks ago

chichester

Maybe but probably rare

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 41 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

It's possible to find real connections anywhere.

I've met people on here I care for deeply.

There are people on here where the sexual chemistry simply isn't there but I enjoy their company.

There are people from here who are just good sex and very little conversation.

Generally, I just talk to the people that seem right for me and see where it leads without worrying too much about adhering to a particular protocol.

I’m paraphrasing William Gibson there, but it sums up how I feel pretty well. Online relationships *are* real relationships. This place, you people, *are* real."

Yes, I'd agree with this, wholeheartedly. We seem to forget there are real people behind messages, posts. Or we don't care when it suits us.

I also think you're right in calling out the usage of keeping things on a "Fab level". They weren't my words.

The OP is based on something I actually vehemently disagree with; this notion that Fab is just for sex, should just be kept that way because the connections you form on here are somehow not "real". Utter bollocks in my mind to put it bluntly.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's perhaps because of my age, but any online connection is only ever going to be at a purely surface level for me.

Anything else would only develop based on time spent in the real world "

I think it's like a souped up version of penpals. Very few penpals forged in person connections although some did. Most (but not all) relationships need in person contact to thrive. Catfishing is too easy

"Yes.

….

I don't subscribe to the idea that fab isn't real life. It just has different rules of engagement at times. …..

Mrs TMN x"

It has real people who I talk to and find myself enjoying to get to know. Who I the probably or hopefully meet face to face. What’s not real about that?

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 41 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

I think it's like a souped up version of penpals. Very few penpals forged in person connections although some did. Most (but not all) relationships need in person contact to thrive. Catfishing is too easy"

Catfishing is only particularly relevant if the aesthetics are a big deal.

Though if you're extending it to the persona people put across, I've thought I've known people in person for years before their masks started to slip and the real person was revealed.

Though I do agree in so much as I'm a person who does need in person contact now and again to maintain a connection.

"….

Catfishing is only particularly relevant if the aesthetics are a big deal…..

Though I do agree in so much as I'm a person who does need in person contact now and again to maintain a connection."

This is all true to me as how I’ve found fab or any other platforms where I’ve spoken to people over time. And you can easily form a connection with somebody’s personality. It’s when you get to meet that connection can become so much deeper, as if all pieces fall into place.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think it's like a souped up version of penpals. Very few penpals forged in person connections although some did. Most (but not all) relationships need in person contact to thrive. Catfishing is too easy

Catfishing is only particularly relevant if the aesthetics are a big deal.

Though if you're extending it to the persona people put across, I've thought I've known people in person for years before their masks started to slip and the real person was revealed.

Though I do agree in so much as I'm a person who does need in person contact now and again to maintain a connection."

I was including persona as well as the physical.

In my opinion it's much easier to display faux empathetic traits on line, the small tells such as body language and facial expression aren't present.

By *otsossieMan 41 weeks ago

Chesterfield

Deffo. I have friends On here that I only really chat to in DM. Both genders. No ulterior motive.

There’s others who I think got bored of waiting for me to make a pass at them

By *ecky and justCouple 41 weeks ago

Godalming

Real connections..?

We have many. It’s one of the things we look for most.

Some friends have crossed from here into real life.

By *ornycougaWoman 41 weeks ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Hmmm. I disagree. I could never form a deep connection with someone I only interact with online. I just lose interest and will dip in and out. But I have made some fantastic friends on here - some come with the sexual benefits, some don't.

By *alhamCoupleCouple 41 weeks ago

London

Good question. We both differ on this. One of us believes you can play with someone and be friends or even not play and be “pants on” friends. The other is only open (for now) to “play and done” scenarios.

By *egasus NobMan 41 weeks ago

Merton

Real connection is possible, however, everyone is here for a purpose that involves sex.

By *herry delightWoman 41 weeks ago

Ilfracombe

I actively seek to keep things on a Fab, as I am only here for a fuck.

Well said but you R VERY VERY SEXY OH AND YOUR VOICE wow gives me HARD

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 41 weeks ago

Manchester-ish

Yes, we have proper friendships here, where we've met up in real life and done non-fab things - dinner at our house, dinner out, Christmas markets, even singing. Some of those friendships have sexy times involved and some don't.

J

By *orny-DJMan 41 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

Yes. I have made a few friends on here

I’ve found great friends and I’ve found great partners. There’s been love. It’s been deep. Its made me very happy and very sad.

I fucking love my life

By *entleman JayMan 41 weeks ago

Wakefield

I’ve found my very best friends, here on Fab.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman 41 weeks ago

little house on the praire

Yes of course

By *atricia ParnelWoman 41 weeks ago

In a town full of colours

I've some inner circle friends I've met from here

Sometimes you meet someone and your lives slot together with ease

By *rucey_BigBallsMan 41 weeks ago

London

Wait _eli you're actually real? With tits and everything?!

Caerphilly

"Wait _eli you're actually real? With tits and everything?! "

Of course I'm real, Brucey

Caerphilly

"Wait _eli you're actually real? With tits and everything?!

Of course I'm real, Brucey "

...fuck sorry, on the wrong account

By *rucey_BigBallsMan 41 weeks ago

London

"Wait _eli you're actually real? With tits and everything?!

Of course I'm real, Brucey

...fuck sorry, on the wrong account

"

Call me if you can deepthroat like her

We met on here and I've made several friends who I never message here, or anywhere else.

MrWho.

By *agneto.Man 41 weeks ago

Bham

I think so yes. The sex would be a nice bonus but good when you find someone you get on with.

» Add a new message to this topic