FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > crafters

crafters

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

what crafs do you do?

i knit and i like making things for people. i have made a couple of thins for a couple of forumites

I'd like to learn to crochet to as i have crap loads of yarn to use up!

I have to say, although i like maing things i get fed up with the making up part lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I crochet, it's really easy, if you can knit then crochet is a piece of piss. I can only do rectangles though so do baby blankets and scarfs or snoods, they go down well with friends and family.

If you go on you tube there are good tutorials, the only problem I had is that I'm a leftie and all the tutorials are right handed so had to learn that way and then reverse it. It's a bit slow going to begin with but once you get the hang of it you'll be flying. If I use chunky wool and a big hook then I can do a snood in an evening watching telly. It's very therapeutic as well x

By *ighland_RoseCouple  over a year ago

Brigadoon

I do stained glass, glass fusing, glass painting, mosaicing, bead jewellery, card making, furniture decoration and a bit of sewing, mainly patchwork.

By *rsIdiotWoman  over a year ago

Bedworth

I knit and crochet and just because they are not weird and woolly enough I spin too. My wheel is an ashford traveller with the nickname Ken lol.

As well as that I started learning to sew a few months ago too

evesham

"I knit and crochet and just because they are not weird and woolly enough I spin too. My wheel is an ashford traveller with the nickname Ken lol.

As well as that I started learning to sew a few months ago too"

i'd love to learn how to sew and make underwear/corsets, probably save a bundle lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I still have a meerkat here waiting to be stitched up.

Well i will be making my own cards soon, ive got lots of bits of the internet and could start now but waitin until ive been to the craft outlet on wednesday, im really looking forward to starting.

My mums mothers day card will be the first.

I can knit, sew, water colours, pottery, flower arranging, silk painting. I just got out of the mind set to do it all.

Oh and you make the most wonderful bedsocks

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

I don't do it as a past time but I'm an apprentice trained rope splicer / rigger. I can splice pretty much any rope commercially available whether it's natural fibre, man made fibre or steel wire.

I can do the fancy rope work like you see hanging on your local pubs bell. I can make boat fenders too.

The fancy rope work you see advertised on here as Shabiri or something like that, really is as simple as tying your shoe laces.

I used to make things from rope for friends until one time I found "a mate" was selling it on when I'd done it for free

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

" .............

If you go on you tube there are good tutorials, the only problem I had is that I'm a leftie and all the tutorials are right handed so had to learn that way and then reverse it. .........."

I've no idea if this would work but could you watch the videos in a mirror?

Glasgow

The former Mrs Onny is the only person I've met who could do tatting.

She was bit of a wizard at knitting, sewing and silversmithing, but tatting was her 'relaxation' hobby.

By *urvyKattWoman  over a year ago

Dumfriesshire

In the past I've knitted and I do still dabble a bit but I'm not that great at it. I cross stitch when I have time and make cards but both have kind of been sidelined now I've found Fab

When I find some time I'd love to try some altered art - it's just finding time to fit everything in!!

"I don't do it as a past time but I'm an apprentice trained rope splicer / rigger. I can splice pretty much any rope commercially available whether it's natural fibre, man made fibre or steel wire.

I can do the fancy rope work like you see hanging on your local pubs bell. I can make boat fenders too.

The fancy rope work you see advertised on here as Shabiri or something like that, really is as simple as tying your shoe laces.

I used to make things from rope for friends until one time I found "a mate" was selling it on when I'd done it for free"

My late father in law, was a rope splicer.

He made all the rope slings and stuff at a very well known diesel engine manufacturer.

I can string pearls, learnt how to do it as I do not want to pay 25+ GBP re-stringing fee for each strand of pearls I own, as I own quite a few.

I can also do simple wire wrap, like to make tin cup necklace, pendants and earrings etc...

I used to make my own Christmas cards, however, I use Vistaprint instead with my own pics and greetings.

I do lots love my crafting my favourite way to unwind (bar the obvious way that this site can aid with). I do cross stitch, hand made cards, mosaics, decoupage, quilling, origami, collages, keepsake boxes, wedding stationary, favour boxes, cake decorating, quilting, inking, oil and water painting, flower arrangments and calligraphy sure theres more too just can't think off the top of my head. I'm currently training to become a dress maker too just for the fun of it

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I make jewellery.

By *heekychezzaWoman  over a year ago

warrington

I can tat, although haven't done that for a while (my mum makes some really lovely stuff, and taught me years ago). I knit, crochet, embroider - crewel, needlepoint and cross stitch, dress-making, ceramics (a bit difficult now as my mum got rid of the kiln). I have times when I sketch and paint - water colour and oils, and have dabbled with chalks and oil pastels.

Ive made doll houses, decorated eggs, made jewelery, glass painting, encaustic art (making pictures with coloured wax) and probably a load of other things I've forgotten about for the moment.

evesham

whats tatting?

Glasgow

"I don't do it as a past time but I'm an apprentice trained rope splicer / rigger. I can splice pretty much any rope commercially available whether it's natural fibre, man made fibre or steel wire.

I used to make things from rope for friends until one time I found "a mate" was selling it on when I'd done it for free"

I'm impressed.

I learned basic splicing and a few fancy knots and whippings in the Scouts and thought I was pretty good till I saw the stuff the guys who do it for a living do.

The beauty is that it's both functional and decorative.

Glasgow

"whats tatting?"

The Wiki definition is "Tatting is a technique for handcrafting a particularly durable lace constructed by a series of knots and loops.[1] Tatting can be used to make lace edging as well as doilies, collars, and other decorative pieces. The lace is formed by a pattern of rings and chains formed from a series of cow hitch, or half-hitch knots, called double stitches (ds), over a core thread. Gaps can be left between the stitches to form picots, which are used for practical construction as well as decorative effect."

That explains it better than I ever could. Wiki has some illustrations which help.

Glasgow

"I can string pearls, learnt how to do it as I do not want to pay 25+ GBP re-stringing fee for each strand of pearls I own, as I own quite a few.

..............."

String AND knot?

evesham

"whats tatting?

The Wiki definition is "Tatting is a technique for handcrafting a particularly durable lace constructed by a series of knots and loops.[1] Tatting can be used to make lace edging as well as doilies, collars, and other decorative pieces. The lace is formed by a pattern of rings and chains formed from a series of cow hitch, or half-hitch knots, called double stitches (ds), over a core thread. Gaps can be left between the stitches to form picots, which are used for practical construction as well as decorative effect."

That explains it better than I ever could. Wiki has some illustrations which help.

"

ooohhhh i quite like the look of that, jus watched a youtube video!

Ive just made my first card and althoug i will say it myself, it looks pretty shit hot

"I can string pearls, learnt how to do it as I do not want to pay 25+ GBP re-stringing fee for each strand of pearls I own, as I own quite a few.

String AND knot? "

I do it properly and knot between each pearl, yes.

Card making including decoupage, quilling, stamping etc. tried decorating goose eggs but got sick of eating fecking omelette !

evesham

ok, new question....how many projects do you have on the go right now?

i have a teddy bear to make up for my sisters friend who had a baby in january

a bright pnk hat that looks like a bob hairstyle

a pair of gloves

a pair of socks

I have not strung any pearls for ages, however, the one I wear regularly will need re-stringing soon.

I did not string the largest strand of loose pearls myself, as I did not have thread in the right size, and I worried about cracking the pearls if I had to make the holes bigger. So I paid to have it strung. I only wore it once since I had it strung in 2010.

Isn't card making a piece of piss really? I make them with my 3 year old

I make cards, have dabbled in making jewelry using charms I made myself and I do mixed media painting.

I've not got anything on the go at the moment but I plan on making a few cards this week (mothers day and a couple of birthday cards) and also I have plans for a set of canvases.

"Isn't card making a piece of piss really? I make them with my 3 year old "
does it matter if it is or not. id be impressed if your three year old can do embolishing and quilling

I build (electric) guitars when I get time. Either for myself or for friends.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I build (electric) guitars when I get time. Either for myself or for friends. "

Cool.

I used to do lots of crafts, wood turning. I used to do a bit of leather work but mainly to do with falconry. When I was younger (8 years) I was taught how to make wrought iron plant pot holders with my dad, it was only to stop me being a nuissance to him when he was busy.

"I build (electric) guitars when I get time. Either for myself or for friends.

Cool. "

Cheers. I also repair, maintain and modify guitars for people. For a wedding present I modified a 1962 Fender Strat for my brother.

I changed the standard bridge and replaced it with a modern Floyd Rose type, which meant modifying the neck too. I also changed all the electrics. In the process I destroyed the value but it was something he always wanted...He loves it.

"Isn't card making a piece of piss really? I make them with my 3 year old does it matter if it is or not. id be impressed if your three year old can do embolishing and quilling"

Well yeah course it matters. Card making isn't really a craft is it, anyone can do it. There's no skill involved.

"Isn't card making a piece of piss really? I make them with my 3 year old does it matter if it is or not. id be impressed if your three year old can do embolishing and quilling

Well yeah course it matters. Card making isn't really a craft is it, anyone can do it. There's no skill involved. "

Your craft seems to be always trying to put other people down

evesham

"Isn't card making a piece of piss really? I make them with my 3 year old does it matter if it is or not. id be impressed if your three year old can do embolishing and quilling

Well yeah course it matters. Card making isn't really a craft is it, anyone can do it. There's no skill involved. "

how intricate are the cards your 3 year old makes then? do they make them on their own or do they just stick the bits you choose in the places you want them?

If thats the case they arent really making the card are they

Skilled card making is an art. the basics are easy (cut and stick) but concept and delivery, style and xecution, skill and pratice takes time to learn.

Used to make miniature food for dolls houses and decorate cakes but dont have the time now. I enjoy knitting,.when I get the chance.

Would love to learn crochet.

Well yeah course it matters. Card making isn't really a craft is it, anyone can do it. There's no skill involved.

Your craft seems to be always trying to put other people down"

Nice to know you're keeping an eye on me chuck

how intricate are the cards your 3 year old makes then? do they make them on their own or do they just stick the bits you choose in the places you want them?

Skilled card making is an art. the basics are easy (cut and stick) but concept and delivery, style and xecution, skill and pratice takes time to learn."

Depends how much time on your hands you have, I guess if it's loads your cards are gonna look better than some

evesham

Skilled card making is an art. the basics are easy (cut and stick) but concept and delivery, style and xecution, skill and pratice takes time to learn.

Depends how much time on your hands you have, I guess if it's loads your cards are gonna look better than some "

thas true of any craft isnt it?

I guess, I can knit but I don't do it any more because it's so dull!

evesham

"I guess, I can knit but I don't do it any more because it's so dull! "

must have been making borng things then

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Some seem good at bickering

How about getting back to the point of the thread

Ah you get what I mean, it's something I can do, just don't have the time or the inclination. I like homemade knitted stuff for the baby but I leave that to my mum as she's got plenty of spare time

Glasgow

"I guess, I can knit but I don't do it any more because it's so dull!

must have been making borng things then "

That's been my problem with knitting.

Scarves or 6inch squares sewn into blankets ain't terribly exciting

Scarves or 6inch squares sewn into blankets ain't terribly exciting "

Exactly

Glasgow

Exactly "

Sometimes, for a bit of exitement, I cast on with two pins (as opposed to one pin and my thumb).

evesham

i find making things for a reason helps, gifts etc as you know someone will appreciate them.

i also like short projects so i dot bore of them.

i want tp try entrelac knitting, making a cushion cover.

[Removed by poster at 03/03/13 22:54:59]

Exactly

Sometimes, for a bit of exitement, I cast on with two pins (as opposed to one pin and my thumb)."

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

I make bracelets with beads when I can be bothered, mainly just for family.

Always wanted to knit though.

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

I can knit. My mom taught me when I was a sprog. I can knit with rope too, so if you want tying up .......

By *ss2011Man  over a year ago

Leeds/Bradford

Tailoring and pattern cutting. Struggling with the patterns at the moment, but I'll get there eventually. I'm doing some one to one classes to learn how to make A-line dress sometime in the summer, so once that is completed and I have more tips I can attempt my own things with my sewing machine and eventually get an overlock stitch machine. Already have so many ideas and what materials to use materials etc...but I still need to master seams and the pattern cutting part. It'll come eventually. I've followed menswear for that long now that I'm at the point of having my own ideas. Why not give a shot? If I start now I could really good with the odd practice in ten years or so. Not an ambition though, merely a hobby...one that barely anybody my age is into, and when they are they tend to just be posers who say, 'I love fashion' for the image. *cringe*

I've made my own vest so far, hand stitched...I was pretty over the moon when I accomplished that! I'm just going to wait until the classes start as I need direction from people with actual experience; I've learnt all I possibly can on my own now, so roll on Summer time!

I crochet things for people x

evesham

"I can knit. My mom taught me when I was a sprog. I can knit with rope too, so if you want tying up ......."

Oh hello there Jack......

I used to be able to do macrame, it was all the fashion at one time, i remember doing a macrame necklace to put my whistle on ( i learnt in the guides) and i made some kind of hanging basket thing all the rage in the 70;s

paint, recycled cards, sewing, jewellery making, pottery when I can, love crafts.

I knit and crochet, but any thing to do with crafts I'm in!

Just trying to set up a local craft circle where I am.

» Add a new message to this topic