FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Foram Room For Good Spelers?

Foram Room For Good Spelers?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ickyKlungespeare OP   Man 42 weeks ago

St Leonards

Shuold we have one?

The level of bad speling here is atrociuos.

I would of thouhgt FAB could do it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 42 weeks ago

Only if there profeshunal speelers

With 10% of the UK population dyslexic we try not to judge. Text speak on the other hand we have no time for as we are old.

By *ealitybitesMan 42 weeks ago

Belfast

Who said there isn't a clique on here?

By *hromosexualsCouple 42 weeks ago

Near Abercynon

There's a Harry Potter thread... that's close

"With 10% of the UK population dyslexic we try not to judge. Text speak on the other hand we have no time for as we are old."

Y dun’t u hve time 4 8..?!

St Leonards

"There's a Harry Potter thread... that's close "

I just think that's Riddikulus.

By *aggonerMan 42 weeks ago

for a penny

You need a little care here.

Granted, a lot is down to laziness but there are dyslexic people, as has already been pointed out, and people with other difficulties, so don’t be too hasty to judge.

St Leonards

"You need a little care here.

Granted, a lot is down to laziness but there are dyslexic people, as has already been pointed out, and people with other difficulties, so don’t be too hasty to judge. "

Yeah - I know. The joke was more me inhabiting a character who believed himself to be a good speller, whilst the thread title showed I fell at the first.

The joke was awlays on me.

Grammar doesn't make a person, we all have different capabilities but auto carrot has a lot to answer for most of the time.

St Leonards

"Only if there profeshunal speelers "

I held back to see if it went anywhere, but this was the winner from the very outset .

By *hrimper36Couple 42 weeks ago

Central France dept 36

"With 10% of the UK population dyslexic we try not to judge. Text speak on the other hand we have no time for as we are old."

Dyslexic English teacher here but I manage ok by using a spell checker which really isn’t hard to do but some think it’s cute to write shit on here.

It’s really not cute imho.

T

By *hrimper36Couple 42 weeks ago

Central France dept 36

Dyslexic English teacher here but I manage ok by using a spell checker which really isn’t hard to do but some think it’s cute to write shit on here.

It’s really not cute imho.

T

By *atnip make me purrWoman 42 weeks ago

Reading

The room would be full of grammar nazis. Everyone would be too scared to post.

I used to care about spelling mistakes as being a former teacher, I notice them all. But people come here with learning difficulties and phones that autocorrect so I give everyone a pass and stopped sweating the small stuff.

I guess I’m out.

By *cottish guy 555Man 42 weeks ago

London

"The room would be full of grammar nazis. Everyone would be too scared to post.

I used to care about spelling mistakes as being a former teacher, I notice them all. But people come here with learning difficulties and phones that autocorrect so I give everyone a pass and stopped sweating the small stuff."

As a former teacher, what do you do now? Asking for a friend

By *illy IdolMan 42 weeks ago

Midlands

"Shuold we have one?

I would of thouhgt FAB could do it?"

FYI OP, there's 3 spelling mistakes in your profile bio.

St Leonards

"Shuold we have one?

I would of thouhgt FAB could do it?

FYI OP, there's 3 spelling mistakes in your profile bio."

Probably even more.

Some of the smartest people, and the nicest people are dyslexic.

And then can also be the most communicative people in person without the pressure of being able to spell. Others like me are simply rubbish at typing and don't proof read.

I can think of a few on here that would be judged on their words but are actually really decent people.

Creating a room they can never be part of is discrimination isn't it? It's a learning difficulty isn't it? A learning disability doesn't mean a lack of intelligence either so to write someone off on how they type seems not so intelligent to me.

Midlands

"Some of the smartest people, and the nicest people are dyslexic.

And then can also be the most communicative people in person without the pressure of being able to spell. Others like me are simply rubbish at typing and don't proof read.

I can think of a few on here that would be judged on their words but are actually really decent people.

Creating a room they can never be part of is discrimination isn't it? It's a learning difficulty isn't it? A learning disability doesn't mean a lack of intelligence either so to write someone off on how they type seems not so intelligent to me."

I'm pretty sure it was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt

St Leonards

Creating a room they can never be part of is discrimination isn't it? It's a learning difficulty isn't it? A learning disability doesn't mean a lack of intelligence either so to write someone off on how they type seems not so intelligent to me."

Agreed.

Which was the original gag.

I assumed the identity of someone who thought they were the shit at something, whilst clearly not being the shit at the thing they professed.

The "gag" was that person (me) had no idea they were crap at the thing they were telling everyone they were good at (and attempting to put others down in the process of claiming higher abilities).

And thus their (my) dickness was revealed in full naked absurdity.

By *aggonerMan 42 weeks ago

for a penny

Creating a room they can never be part of is discrimination isn't it? It's a learning difficulty isn't it? A learning disability doesn't mean a lack of intelligence either so to write someone off on how they type seems not so intelligent to me.

I'm pretty sure it was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt"

No.

It was clearly a piss-take. What other purpose could it serve? It’s easy to say “the joke was on me” when the OP wasn’t getting the universal acclaim being aimed at.

People don’t usually make fun of something they care about.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman 42 weeks ago

Next Door

I've dyslexia and struggle daily regarding written English. Do typos often.

I know the post is tongue in cheek, personality I don't think it's a good idea and I'm not offended by the post

Feels a little bit ableist and my snowflake brain can’t cope.

By *xposedInTheMaleMan 42 weeks ago

Cap d'Agde

"The room would be full of grammar nazis. Everyone would be too scared to post. "

But on the other hand, they'd be less likely to post in the other rooms.

By *BWLOVER1965Man 42 weeks ago

My Own Little World

"Shuold we have one?

I would have thouhgt FAB could do it?"

Don’t do it

Probably get sarky remarks

St Leonards

"Shuold we have one?

I would have thouhgt FAB could do it?

Don’t do it

Probably get sarky remarks "

Love the way you put a cheeky little "have" in there .

By *avinaTVTV/TS 42 weeks ago

Transsexual Transylvania

In Afrikaans, a "speler" (pron. "spee-el-err") is a "player". So I was very disappointed to discover a thread about grammar Nazis, spelling and off-brand humour.

Tut, tut!

St Leonards

"In Afrikaans, a "speler" (pron. "spee-el-err") is a "player". So I was very disappointed to discover a thread about grammar Nazis, spelling and off-brand humour.

Tut, tut!"

It was a reaction to another post about "Forum Rooms", although that information is missing from (most of) this thread (one poster put the two together, and I think sone others "got" the link), so I can't expect most posters to see why I posted originally.

I don't know whether that context changes anyone's views, or should change them, and if not, I'll manage the consequences.

Midlands

"In Afrikaans, a "speler" (pron. "spee-el-err") is a "player". So I was very disappointed to discover a thread about grammar Nazis, spelling and off-brand humour.

Tut, tut!

It was a reaction to another post about "Forum Rooms", although that information is missing from (most of) this thread (one poster put the two together, and I think sone others "got" the link), so I can't expect most posters to see why I posted originally.

I don't know whether that context changes anyone's views, or should change them, and if not, I'll manage the consequences.

"

Sorry seems to be the hardest word

By *rucey_BigBallsMan 42 weeks ago

London

Won't someone please fink of da dhisosob

By *elbaCouple 42 weeks ago

Derby

Wot a discusting post

St Leonards

Tut, tut!

Sorry seems to be the hardest word"

I'm not yet at the sorry place.

If the context of the other "Forum Room" post is viewed and dissected by readers, and I'm presented with things I haven't seen or considered, then specific and targeted "sorrys" would follow.

The main problem is this post forms part of a "one-two", but the "one" isn't referenced by me. It's therefore "invisible" to many readers/posters.

So if the apologies are due after the "one-two" is absorbed, then I'll answer those cases.

I'm also unsure whether I should have referenced the "one" initially - it was understood by at least one early reply, but then this appeared to go in another direction, with or without that context.

I think an apology given now, to someone who hasn't seen the overall context, is premature.

But they may still have good reasons for apologies, even with that context.

That's for them to present me with.

I would read further posts on here, and, whilst being canny enough to avoid being the scapegoat for a bad day someone is having anyway, would engage in specifics.

Midlands

Tut, tut!

If the context of the other "Forum Room" post is viewed and dissected by readers, and I'm presented with things I haven't seen or considered, then specific and targeted "sorrys" would follow.

The main problem is this post forms part of a "one-two", but the "one" isn't referenced by me. It's therefore "invisible" to many readers/posters.

So if the apologies are due after the "one-two" is absorbed, then I'll answer those cases.

I'm also unsure whether I should have referenced the "one" initially - it was understood by at least one early reply, but then this appeared to go in another direction, with or without that context.

I think an apology given now, to someone who hasn't seen the overall context, is premature.

I would read further posts on here, and, whilst being canny enough to avoid being the scapegoat for a bad day someone is having anyway, would engage in specifics."

You do like to waffle Nick

St Leonards

Tut, tut!

I would read further posts on here, and, whilst being canny enough to avoid being the scapegoat for a bad day someone is having anyway, would engage in specifics.

You do like to waffle Nick "

Willy - Yup.

By *obilebottomMan 42 weeks ago

All over

I have no odea what is everyone talking about now on this thtead and I am getting a headache trying to figure it out so I am out.

St Leonards

"I have no odea what is everyone talking about now on this thtead and I am getting a headache trying to figure it out so I am out. "

Well, I'm probably close to a headache, but have to remain in really, for an awful lot of reasons .

By *arynBrianCouple 42 weeks ago

Epping

"Shuold we have one?

I would have thouhgt FAB could do it?"

I think maybe there should be one for poor grammar as your profile shows quite the talent for that! When you decide to throw stones in a glass house, make sure you miss the glass… Inverted snobbery at its finest!

Tut, tut!

You do like blue waffle Nick "

He likes WHAT?

St Leonards

"Shuold we have one?

I would have thouhgt FAB could do it?

I think maybe there should be one for poor grammar as your profile shows quite the talent for that! When you decide to throw stones in a glass house, make sure you miss the glass… Inverted snobbery at its finest!"

That was the gag. Referencing the other post.

I think I've explained that above, but don't expect anyone to read the whole thread because it's become somewhat unwieldy now.

However, as also stated above, I would answer my actions further to those who did so, and presented specific comments around that.

St Leonards

Tut, tut!

You do like blue waffle Nick

He likes WHAT? "

Midlands

Tut, tut!

He likes WHAT?

"

Who doesn't like blue waffle?

St Leonards

Tut, tut!

He likes WHAT?

Who doesn't like blue waffle? "

Tommy Lee Jones.

Midlands

Tut, tut!

He likes WHAT?

Tommy Lee Jones."

That surprises me to be fair after MIB

St Leonards

Tut, tut!

He likes WHAT?

Tommy Lee Jones.

That surprises me to be fair after MIB"

St Leonards

Bumping it.

'Coz not bumping it feels like cowardice.

Warning - it's probably not what you think it is, and you'd have to read waaaayyyyy too much now to have any idea on any of it.

But I really don't like cowardice. And hiding. Especially my own.

So...bumping it. I'll let it die some point soon.

Back in 45 mins....

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple 42 weeks ago

Southampton

Granted, a lot is down to laziness but there are dyslexic people, as has already been pointed out, and people with other difficulties, so don’t be too hasty to judge. "

This! That and occasionally people make typos!

Granted, a lot is down to laziness but there are dyslexic people, as has already been pointed out, and people with other difficulties, so don’t be too hasty to judge.

This! That and occasionally people make typos!"

My phone makes typos. I hit every key correctly, I promise.

St Leonards

G K Chesterton said "What is wrong with the world? I am."

My over the top post was an attempt to reference another post, which (unintentionally or with incredibly dry humour), revealed the poster to be a bit of a twat.

My reaction post was then to make it clear what a hyper-twat I am (or the identity I'd assumed for the purposes of the post).

What's more revealing of inner stupidity than a post about excluding bad-spellers where the poster can't spell?

What reveals our attempts to "discount" others as being so flawed much more than a post where the poster himself possesses the qualities they attempt to vilify in others? Regardless of what those qualities are (could be spelling, could be anything).

That was my attempt to say "don't we all get up ourselves, thinking we're special and deserving of a higher place in society? Don't we use tricks to "other" people, vampirically feeding off their weaknesses because we're so afraid of being seen in our own ugliness?".

It was using high irony to bring twats down to earth.

I think some people got it.

Its core was to say "don't be a twat. No one's shit smells that good." My "character" thought their shit smelled great, trying to "other" people, exclude them. Whilst being as vulnerable and flawed as anyone. That was the high irony in it.

It got missed, and in many ways for good reasons.

And in many ways for bad reasons.

St Leonards

This! That and occasionally people make typos!

My phone makes typos. I hit every key correctly, I promise. "

Don't ever not make typos Wuddy. I make them. We all make them. That was what I was trying to say. Who the hell am I (my character in the original post) to pretend I'm so great? And pretend "I'm" better than others? I'm not. No one is. The problem with the world? It's me. It's you. It's everyone. That level of humility is a gateway to a better ethics.

And I use high irony to "dig" that in the ribs.

Don't ever not make typos. Be you, and keep being a work in progress towards making the world better. And when you see a twat, manage them in their little "twat-box" they've carved for themselves, and hope (and work) towards a world where every generation becomes less twattish than the one before.

Make typos x

» Add a new message to this topic