FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Post Grad - is it really worth it?

Post Grad - is it really worth it?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Im currently doing a post grad but im sitting here thinking whether it is really worth it. Its expensive, time consuming..and omg the reading!!

Working two jobs to pay off for my studies, dont have much free time and job prospects are looking quite bleak due to the industry that i am studying towards making vast financial cuts.

So, is it really worth all this time and effort? Getting stressed out now..

..needed somewhere to vent my frustration lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What would your degree have been in ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If your industry isn't recruiting as much atm then having a post-grad might give you the edge over someone else with the same experience. Things will at some point pick up, and then you will have that qualification to help you in your career.

By *asey369Woman  over a year ago

London

Yes it is! At the age of 40 giving up my career to do Masters. I have another 20 years of work and will be a long time dead. Hang in there x

How far in to it are you? And is this a temporary blip or an ongoing struggke with motivation?

If you've not been studying for long and are struggling to motivate yourself it could be better to cut your losses.

London

Also at 23 the debt might appear insurmountable, but later in life you might have other commitments, such as a mortgage or family that could make the opportunity impossible. Make that investment in yourself now.

[Removed by poster at 24/02/13 21:20:57]

..well i think it has been studying since i can remember to be honest..never really took a break. Dont actually have time to take a break and now everything seems a bit too much. I like to be kept busy.

I have a degree in Law and my post grad is in Law. Im interested in studying further though. Want to try and get in to psychology and again...would have to pay it off myself.

Well, i havent taken out a loan or anything. Paying everything off with my own money and grants and bursaries. With the remainder of my money just making ends meet.

Just thinking to myself, at this age. I should not be this stressed out lol should be out there enjoying myself but im stuck either in my books or at work.

Cor blimey lol

By *rT30Man  over a year ago

Munster

"Also at 23 the debt might appear insurmountable, but later in life you might have other commitments, such as a mortgage or family that could make the opportunity impossible. Make that investment in yourself now."

"..well i think it has been studying since i can remember to be honest..never really took a break. Dont actually have time to take a break and now everything seems a bit too much. I like to be kept busy.

I have a degree in Law and my post grad is in Law. Im interested in studying further though. Want to try and get in to psychology and again...would have to pay it off myself.

Well, i havent taken out a loan or anything. Paying everything off with my own money and grants and bursaries. With the remainder of my money just making ends meet.

Just thinking to myself, at this age. I should not be this stressed out lol should be out there enjoying myself but im stuck either in my books or at work.

Cor blimey lol

"

I completed my post grad last year and so know where your at ...its soul destroying isnt it ....all the doubts about value etc but hang in the achievement if nothing else is good for the soul not to mention the brain cells .....good luck!

"..well i think it has been studying since i can remember to be honest..never really took a break. Dont actually have time to take a break and now everything seems a bit too much. I like to be kept busy.

Cor blimey lol

I completed my post grad last year and so know where your at ...its soul destroying isnt it ....all the doubts about value etc but hang in the achievement if nothing else is good for the soul not to mention the brain cells .....good luck!"

Thank you. And congratulations x yeah im just looking to get the qualification if anything else..

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

" ............

"

What else would you be doing with the time?

Education, as has been said, is seldom wasted. If you CAN stick at it, you won't regret it.

Cor blimey lol

I completed my post grad last year and so know where your at ...its soul destroying isnt it ....all the doubts about value etc but hang in the achievement if nothing else is good for the soul not to mention the brain cells .....good luck!

Thank you. And congratulations x yeah im just looking to get the qualification if anything else.."

im sure you'll do it too ...if you had the volition to go for it you will finish it ....how long you got to go? Did you start in Sept?

I think it's amazing! Hang on in there. My biggest regret is not staying in education when I left school.

Good luck x

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

You're investing now for your future. I've never seen a poor lawyer! Keep going.

Glasgow

"You're investing now for your future. I've never seen a poor lawyer! Keep going. "

That's not entirely true but it's usually because they've chosen to work in law advice centres, rather than commercial/ criminal firms or go to the Bar (note the capital letter).

London

Whilst the reading and financial hardship is challenging, once you start paid employment there will be other kinds of hurdles which are equally hard. Value this opportunity to learn.

We both have degrees in our chosen career paths from school. Sadly neither of us could get a job doing what we wanted, or a step down with a view to move up within a company regardless of education - everyone wanted WORK EXPERIENCE!

Where could we get this?? unless we did it for free, but we had depts of 20K each to repay excluding overdrafts etc..

Now we are in jobs that are OK, but not want we want to be doing.. and sadly our chosen career paths are out of sight, as we still have no work experience within our chosen career sector and still have our debts to pay off!

Education is great - but make sure you have work experience too in that chosen sector, otherwise you'll likely be left on the scrap heap with debts like us! we'll we have eath other

Cor blimey lol

Thank you. And congratulations x yeah im just looking to get the qualification if anything else..

im sure you'll do it too ...if you had the volition to go for it you will finish it ....how long you got to go? Did you start in Sept?"

I have been doing it part time and started late last year..just have the exams remaining at the moment..im in the final hurdles..

It should be worth it i suppose. Knowledge is power as they say.

Im not too fussed about the money, as long as i can survive on it..although, extra money would always be fab!

Just feeling drained lately..but once its over and done with..i can finally catch up on what everyone else has been doing at my age lol

Thanks for your support everyone. I appreciate it.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Im currently doing a post grad but im sitting here thinking whether it is really worth it. Its expensive, time consuming..and omg the reading!!

Working two jobs to pay off for my studies, dont have much free time and job prospects are looking quite bleak due to the industry that i am studying towards making vast financial cuts.

"

I dont know whether it is worth it or not. I personally believe in and enjoy continues lifelong learning and would never be without some form of study, formal or informal.

I guess that is where I would becoming from in saying it is worth doint that as you continuously learn and evolve.

Whether you will recover the initial and ongoing financial outlay - time will tell. But learning for the learning sake has got to be a good thing?

"We both have degrees in our chosen career paths from school. Sadly neither of us could get a job doing what we wanted, or a step down with a view to move up within a company regardless of education - everyone wanted WORK EXPERIENCE!

Where could we get this?? unless we did it for free, but we had depts of 20K each to repay excluding overdrafts etc..

Now we are in jobs that are OK, but not want we want to be doing.. and sadly our chosen career paths are out of sight, as we still have no work experience within our chosen career sector and still have our debts to pay off!

Education is great - but make sure you have work experience too in that chosen sector, otherwise you'll likely be left on the scrap heap with debts like us! we'll we have eath other "

Thanks. Yeah, i am currently working within the field i want to get into. But im at the lowest level (understandably) but just thinking long term..

I prefer to have a plan and keep my life organised as to what i want to achieve..but it seems all over the place at the moment..

But, time to pull my socks up, heads down (not like that lol) and crack on..

London

Slightly off thread (sorry!) but what a disgrace that some of the brightest and most talented people in this country are detered from going into the most valuable jobs such as education, due to huge debts when only in early 20's dictating their career choices. It seems to me that education really is only for the wealthy now.

"Slightly off thread (sorry!) but what a disgrace that some of the brightest and most talented people in this country are detered from going into the most valuable jobs such as education, due to huge debts when only in early 20's dictating their career choices. It seems to me that education really is only for the wealthy now."
I hear what you are saying although there are some other options ie studying abroad where uni fees are very small or non existent?

London

But still without financial support other than the work they can fit in with their studies. 20k of debt is very different to someone to who'm that amount of money represents more than their parents yearly salary, than to someone who comes from a more privileged background. Aceess to education doesn't (sadly) go to the brightest students.

"Slightly off thread (sorry!) but what a disgrace that some of the brightest and most talented people in this country are detered from going into the most valuable jobs such as education, due to huge debts when only in early 20's dictating their career choices. It seems to me that education really is only for the wealthy now."

agree

Glasgow

That's what happens when a bit chunk of the Cabinet are multimillionaires.

"Im currently doing a post grad but im sitting here thinking whether it is really worth it. Its expensive, time consuming..and omg the reading!!

"

I guess it depends on what you are doing it in as to if it will get you payback. I would have thought so though in most things as it puts you a cut above the competition.

By *lackMetalMan  over a year ago

Centre

Please no matter what happens, don't quit!

It is an investment in yourself and totally worth it. I did my postgrad a few years back and it boosted my earning power and career. I know the job market isnt what it was a few years ago, but nothing prepares you for the world like further education.

You can always become an entrepreneur and start your own business cos after all we all know the only way to true financial independence is working for yourself.

Go for it!

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"

Definitely worth it,even if you do not use it in your chosen field ,it shows your able to operate at that level,self research at a higher level of self organised learning.

Definitely worth it,even if you do not use it in your chosen field ,it shows your able to operate at that level,self research at a higher level of self organised learning."

Without knowing the subject there is no definitely with further education. Some people get sold a pup and end up signing on for a decade after getting one. And you are assuming someone is successful in doing it. Definite is an over used word in educational also rans.

Definitely worth it,even if you do not use it in your chosen field ,it shows your able to operate at that level,self research at a higher level of self organised learning."

You are absolutely right - when I recruited people even if the field was not related, I would take into consideration skills such as being able to reserach independently.. there are a few transferrable skills that employers recognise and find employable.

Definitely worth it,even if you do not use it in your chosen field ,it shows your able to operate at that level,self research at a higher level of self organised learning.

You are absolutely right - when I recruited people even if the field was not related, I would take into consideration skills such as being able to reserach independently.. there are a few transferrable skills that employers recognise and find employable. "

Sounds like you are on a limb with that as many employers are looking for carer specific skills and qualifications these days as there are so many educated people to choose from. I would pick experience and a degree over a post grad in most cases.

You are absolutely right - when I recruited people even if the field was not related, I would take into consideration skills such as being able to reserach independently.. there are a few transferrable skills that employers recognise and find employable.

Sounds like you are on a limb with that as many employers are looking for carer specific skills and qualifications these days as there are so many educated people to choose from. I would pick experience and a degree over a post grad in most cases.

"

I think it all so depends on the specifics of a situation. You are right employers have a good range of choices at the moment - so ideally, they could have somebody with all three.

» Add a new message to this topic