FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Complementary therapies

Complementary therapies

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *phrodite OP   Woman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

and what are people's experiences of reflexology, remedial massage, Reiki, Hot stone massage etc...

Anybody had genuine relief and benefit from seeking one of the above over a pain killer or other (prescribed) drug?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

a few family members have had positive experiences of acupuncture and alternative therapy would always be my preferred option rather than conventional medicinie if given a choice

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I regularly am treated by a Chiropractor

"a few family members have had positive experiences of acupuncture and alternative therapy would always be my preferred option rather than conventional medicinie if given a choice "

I am curious because one the one hand (as I stated the other day on the "why poeple are so worried about popping pills" thread) I see the need for quick fixes soemtimes eg when at work and suffering a bad head ache, going home sick is not an option - I d rather take painkillers.

For aching shoulders or backs etc I would initially seek a sports massage.

"I regularly am treated by a Chiropractor "
I think Chiropractic is an excellent way of keeping joints mobile

Chocolate therapy. Works most of the time.

"Chocolate therapy. Works most of the time."
Ooops sorry- I should have included that in the list

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I swear by colonic irrigation...gave me a hell of a lot of relief when my sciatica was bad

Regarding reflexology, hot stones etc, I find the relaxation does the trick to destress

If anyone wants a quick colonic, I can always get the Karcher pressure wash out - bit cheaper than £60 a sesh

Tried the massage for "Frozen Shoulder"

Worked out great and no side affects like the pain killers.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

There should be more research into sex therapy. I volunteer!

I always used to think complimentary therapies where when you paid some overqualified shrink to sit there and tell you how great you were and that no, your bum didn't look big in that!

Oops!

"I swear by colonic irrigation...gave me a hell of a lot of relief when my sciatica was bad

Regarding reflexology, hot stones etc, I find the relaxation does the trick to destress

If anyone wants a quick colonic, I can always get the Karcher pressure wash out - bit cheaper than £60 a sesh"

Holy mackerel I woke the beast (not you... the concept of colonnic

"Tried the massage for "Frozen Shoulder"

Worked out great and no side affects like the pain killers. "

I agree it does work well on frozen shoulders!

"There should be more research into sex therapy. I volunteer! "
Would you mind starting a small research team -surely you will need a few more volunteers?

"I always used to think complimentary therapies where when you paid some overqualified shrink to sit there and tell you how great you were and that no, your bum didn't look big in that!

Oops! "

Now now... there is no known antidote for cycnicism yet...;-) (Except chocolate)

"There should be more research into sex therapy. I volunteer! Would you mind starting a small research team -surely you will need a few more volunteers? "

More the merrier! There needs to be a control group anyway.

Worked out great and no side affects like the pain killers. "

Melt is using a tens machine for a frozen shoulder - and massages too.. and chocolate.

"There should be more research into sex therapy. I volunteer! Would you mind starting a small research team -surely you will need a few more volunteers? "

Can I donate my whole body for research

"There should be more research into sex therapy. I volunteer! Would you mind starting a small research team -surely you will need a few more volunteers?

More the merrier! There needs to be a control group anyway."

Haha... they would nt be able to have any sex... to see what difference good sex makes. Now who should we put into that group

Melt is using a tens machine for a frozen shoulder - and massages too.. and chocolate."

I love the way the therapies complement each other

"There should be more research into sex therapy. I volunteer! Would you mind starting a small research team -surely you will need a few more volunteers?

Can I donate my whole body for research "

Never seen anybody volunteer sooo quickly

Melt is using a tens machine for a frozen shoulder - and massages too.. and chocolate."

The chocolate needs to be take every 2 hours at least.

The largest bar you can lift with dodgy shoulder, then increase the dose as it heals.

Isn't a control group those not actually getting the therapy??? Maybe a few of the "Why can't I get a meet" thread starters would be able to assist

More the merrier! There needs to be a control group anyway.Haha... they would nt be able to have any sex... to see what difference good sex makes. Now who should we put into that group"

I can think of a few.

I've had reflexology before and found it relaxes me.

Isn't a control group those not actually getting the therapy??? Maybe a few of the "Why can't I get a meet" thread starters would be able to assist "

That would be a natural way of allowing everybody be part of the experiment. Well done

Where would you ladies, like this cat litter putting ????

More the merrier! There needs to be a control group anyway.Haha... they would nt be able to have any sex... to see what difference good sex makes. Now who should we put into that group

I can think of a few. "

Melt is using a tens machine for a frozen shoulder - and massages too.. and chocolate.

The chocolate needs to be take every 2 hours at least.

The largest bar you can lift with dodgy shoulder, then increase the dose as it heals."

He won't get away with wafting chocolate around for long

"I've had reflexology before and found it relaxes me. "
Brilliant - would you use it again or recommend it?

bristol

my reluctance to subscribe to conventional medicine is probably seated in drugs like 'thalyamide' etc going so badly wrong and the devastation that these drugs caused to generations ..i have tried throughout my life to avoid any kind of conventional drugs and in my experience have found that your bodys own imune system becomes stronger as a consequence of having to deal with a viral or bacterial attack unassisted .. it seems to make sense to me

"Where would you ladies, like this cat litter putting ????"
Shhhh where would you like to be... in the control group or the one that experiences and tries sex therapy?;-)

Makes no bloody difference to me these days unfortunately.

Another thing I tried for my sciatica that gave some relief was sports massage and traction - I love being pummelled with a good massage (though by god, my arse cheeks hurt for a coupla days!) and the traction machine definately stretched me out a bit which helped with releasing the nerve

"Makes no bloody difference to me these days unfortunately.

"

Think we need some extra chocolate, ladies and a warm place in the right group

"Another thing I tried for my sciatica that gave some relief was sports massage and traction - I love being pummelled with a good massage (though by god, my arse cheeks hurt for a coupla days!) and the traction machine definately stretched me out a bit which helped with releasing the nerve"

Traction can be soooo sore. I have had it once after (yet another) skiing accident. Better than pain killers though !

"my reluctance to subscribe to conventional medicine is probably seated in drugs like 'thalyamide' etc going so badly wrong and the devastation that these drugs caused to generations ..i have tried throughout my life to avoid any kind of conventional drugs and in my experience have found that your bodys own imune system becomes stronger as a consequence of having to deal with a viral or bacterial attack unassisted .. it seems to make sense to me "

bristol

"Another thing I tried for my sciatica that gave some relief was sports massage and traction - I love being pummelled with a good massage (though by god, my arse cheeks hurt for a coupla days!) and the traction machine definately stretched me out a bit which helped with releasing the nerve"

how long do the benefits last if you dont mind me asking as this is a route I am contemplating going down also ?

Im a huge fan of complimentary therapies. Love reflexology, reiki and aromatherapy. I used to do massages for some family members n friends and even my pregnant aunt and a lady whom I didn't get on with at a previous workplace stated I should become a professional masseur. So much so im training to be a holistic herbal therapist...

And no, I'm not gonna be studying at Sydney university..

Happy to have volunteers in the meantime...

Found Alexander technique about posture interesting...

For me all to do with nature... X

Was it shiatsu massage by any chance? Sounds very much like it.

By *aris23Woman  over a year ago

France

I've long been a supporter of complimentary therapies and the best of the lot is the Bowen Therapy. Had reflexology, acupuncture, physiotherapy, Reiki, but there are lots more to left to try.

"Im a huge fan of complimentary therapies. Love reflexology, reiki and aromatherapy. I used to do massages for some family members n friends and even my pregnant aunt and a lady whom I didn't get on with at a previous workplace stated I should become a professional masseur. So much so im training to be a holistic herbal therapist...

And no, I'm not gonna be studying at Sydney university..

Happy to have volunteers in the meantime...

Found Alexander technique about posture interesting...

For me all to do with nature... X "

Best of luck xx

Massage has been practised since around 3000BC, and began in China - it became shiatsu massage when it spread to Japan. American indians also used it as part of their traditional medicine therapy. Ayur Veda has been around since 1800BC, incorporating aromatherapy and massage. It was also a regular practise of the ancient Greeks and Romans; even Captain Cook is said to have been cured of his sciatica when Tahitan women used massage on him - anyhow, before I ramble on with a history lesson in massage, it goes back a long way, and its still here, to me that speaks volumes. I personally feel that as a complimentary therapy, you can't go wrong - providing your massage therapist knows what they're doing - being a therapist myself, I could be biased, but I take great pride in seeing a client completely relaxed, de-stressed and ready to face the world after a treatment

I actually believe that if some of the therapies were available (perhaps not free but subsidised) on the NHS the surgeries would be less crowded?

"Massage has been practised since around 3000BC, and began in China - it became shiatsu massage when it spread to Japan. American indians also used it as part of their traditional medicine therapy. Ayur Veda has been around since 1800BC, incorporating aromatherapy and massage. It was also a regular practise of the ancient Greeks and Romans; even Captain Cook is said to have been cured of his sciatica when Tahitan women used massage on him - anyhow, before I ramble on with a history lesson in massage, it goes back a long way, and its still here, to me that speaks volumes. I personally feel that as a complimentary therapy, you can't go wrong - providing your massage therapist knows what they're doing - being a therapist myself, I could be biased, but I take great pride in seeing a client completely relaxed, de-stressed and ready to face the world after a treatment "

"Another thing I tried for my sciatica that gave some relief was sports massage and traction - I love being pummelled with a good massage (though by god, my arse cheeks hurt for a coupla days!) and the traction machine definately stretched me out a bit which helped with releasing the nerve

how long do the benefits last if you dont mind me asking as this is a route I am contemplating going down also ?"

I had 3 or 4 sessions over a couple of weeks (this was back in October) and (touch wood), it took the worst of the sciatica away and it hasn't come back yet (though I've also had a right hip replacement which has made a big difference to the sciatica on the left)

"Another thing I tried for my sciatica that gave some relief was sports massage and traction - I love being pummelled with a good massage (though by god, my arse cheeks hurt for a coupla days!) and the traction machine definately stretched me out a bit which helped with releasing the nerve

Was it shiatsu massage by any chance? Sounds very much like it. "

Dunno if shiatsu, the therapist was a sports masseur and said that he'd given me the same strength of massage that he usually gave to rugby players and the like

i recomend reflexology, i used to see a podiatrist as i have trouble with my feet and they get very painful.

i found it very relaxing and i felt like a new woman afterwards.

with new feet.

I have reiki sessions quite regularly and also have my chakras balanced, it's the only way to get me to relax fully.

"I have reiki sessions quite regularly and also have my chakras balanced, it's the only way to get me to relax fully. "

100% agree with you there.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I reckon the efficacy of complementary therapies is directly related to the belief the recipient has in the therapy.

bristol

how long do the benefits last if you dont mind me asking as this is a route I am contemplating going down also ?

I had 3 or 4 sessions over a couple of weeks (this was back in October) and (touch wood), it took the worst of the sciatica away and it hasn't come back yet (though I've also had a right hip replacement which has made a big difference to the sciatica on the left)"

wow .. sounds amazing .. its certainly something I will explore further and may be a route I also will go down .. thanks ever so much for the information

Glasgow

".........also have my chakras balanced, ........... "

D'ye pay money for that?

Was it shiatsu massage by any chance? Sounds very much like it.

Dunno if shiatsu, the therapist was a sports masseur and said that he'd given me the same strength of massage that he usually gave to rugby players and the like"

Hmmm very interesting, thanks. X

"I reckon the efficacy of complementary therapies is directly related to the belief the recipient has in the therapy."
There is soemthing to be said about placebo in all therapies, complementary, homeopathic and allopathic... belief does support the therapy as there is "communication" between body and mind. This is no mumbo jumbo but has been well researched.

Also, I would argue that placebo should not be ridiculed if it helps a patitent feel and get better.

Finally, many of the therapies have been researched and there is physical evidence for example that joinys move more freely.

"i recomend reflexology, i used to see a podiatrist as i have trouble with my feet and they get very painful.

i found it very relaxing and i felt like a new woman afterwards.

with new feet. "

I had 3 or 4 sessions over a couple of weeks (this was back in October) and (touch wood), it took the worst of the sciatica away and it hasn't come back yet (though I've also had a right hip replacement which has made a big difference to the sciatica on the left)

wow .. sounds amazing .. its certainly something I will explore further and may be a route I also will go down .. thanks ever so much for the information "

You're welcome...think about a colonic as well, maybe I was just totally full of shit, but it really eased the pain for me even though I hadn't expected it to...the therapist did say that obstructions in the colon could be putting extra pressure on the sciatic nerve...feel free to PM me if you want any more information

"I have reiki sessions quite regularly and also have my chakras balanced, it's the only way to get me to relax fully. "

"I reckon the efficacy of complementary therapies is directly related to the belief the recipient has in the therapy."

I sort of agree with you here; with regard to aromatherapy, if you can't stand the smell of lavender, it won't have the calming effect it's famous for; but, that said, I massaged a very sceptical gentleman when I was training, he really didn't believe that anyone could get him to relax and he didn't believe in the concept of massage. I convinced him to give it a go - one very relaxed, chilled out convert later and an excellent testimonial from him too

Glasgow

"I reckon the efficacy of complementary therapies is directly related to the belief the recipient has in the therapy.

There is soemthing to be said about placebo in all therapies, complementary, homeopathic and allopathic... belief does support the therapy as there is "communication" between body and mind. This is no mumbo jumbo but has been well researched.

Also, I would argue that placebo should not be ridiculed if it helps a patitent feel and get better.

Finally, many of the therapies have been researched and there is physical evidence for example that joinys move more freely. "

IF, and it's a bit if, it helps the patient get better - that's one thing.

If all it does is make the patient feel better, that's worse than doing nothing.

bristol

I also believe that the placebo effect may never be dismissed but only raises another very interesting topic which is the relationship between mental strength and belief which impacts on the physical well being .. I believe there is a very strong link that has been proven in many a medical scientific study and the findings should be harnessed and investigated further

"I reckon the efficacy of complementary therapies is directly related to the belief the recipient has in the therapy.

Finally, many of the therapies have been researched and there is physical evidence for example that joinys move more freely.

If all it does is make the patient feel better, that's worse than doing nothing."

I hate disgreeing with you lol but I will on this occasion. If a patient feels better, he/ she IS already a bit better. Even conventional medicine now looks at the effect this has on the body's immune system. Too long to go into detail here... but trust me on this one

I also believe that the placebo effect may never be dismissed but only raises another very interesting topic which is the relationship between mental strength and belief which impacts on the physical well being .. I believe there is a very strong link that has been proven in many a medical scientific study and the findings should be harnessed and investigated further "

I agree

If all it does is make the patient feel better, that's worse than doing nothing.

I hate disgreeing with you lol but I will on this occasion. If a patient feels better, he/ she IS already a bit better. Even conventional medicine now looks at the effect this has on the body's immune system. Too long to go into detail here... but trust me on this one "

Absolutely agree with you Aphrodite; plus, if a placebo makes a person feel or think they feel better, that proves they didn't need the conventional drug in the first place; mind over matter without the person realising they're doing it

Glasgow

"I hate disgreeing with you lol but I will on this occasion. If a patient feels better, he/ she IS already a bit better."

Disagree by all means, you're allowed to be wrong and, in this case.........

" Even conventional medicine now looks at the effect this has on the body's immune system. Too long to go into detail here... but trust me on this one "

That's all very well but if someone suffering for a serious illness decides they're better on ths basis of a false feeling as the result of quackery and then go on to ignore proper medical advice the outcome could be catastrophic.

That's before we start on homeopathy.

If all it does is make the patient feel better, that's worse than doing nothing."

I have to disagree with you, if a patient feels better then that's a big step on the way to recovery - I used complementary therapies along with regular drugs/painkillers when I was suffering with my sciatica and arthritis and feeling better from the complementary stuff certainly helped. If a complementary therapy alleviates suffering in any way it can only be a good thing in my opinion

bristol

you do have to strike a balance with both and throughout my life .. im 41, i have gone down the conventional medicine route on a handful of occasions .. ive had morphine and other serious drugs that I would not wish to have administered but it was necessary at the time and common sense prevailed with my partner allowing them

Also, my late grandmother was terminally ill with cancer and used some complementary therapies (along with prescription drugs) to help with the pain. Whether it was "all in her mind" or not, she felt better and was able to cope better with her illness (she was aware she was going to die) and her passing was made easier for her

"

That's all very well but if someone suffering for a serious illness decides they're better on ths basis of a false feeling as the result of quackery and then go on to ignore proper medical advice the outcome could be catastrophic.

"

I agree with you here and would never advocate ongoing complementary therapy when symptoms are worsening or not improving - in fact there are some brilliant GPs these days who are more than happy to cooperate with the complementary therapists and homeopaths in the interest and to the benefit of patients (and the NHS as a whole).

I tend to think of complementary therapies as precisely that - complementary and my approach to medicine and the study of healing in the broadest sense as a holistic undertaking.

" mind over matter without the person realising they're doing it "
Yes, that's what I would agree with, too.

"Massage has been practised since around 3000BC, and began in China - it became shiatsu massage when it spread to Japan. American indians also used it as part of their traditional medicine therapy. Ayur Veda has been around since 1800BC, incorporating aromatherapy and massage. It was also a regular practise of the ancient Greeks and Romans; even Captain Cook is said to have been cured of his sciatica when Tahitan women used massage on him - anyhow, before I ramble on with a history lesson in massage, it goes back a long way, and its still here, to me that speaks volumes. I personally feel that as a complimentary therapy, you can't go wrong - providing your massage therapist knows what they're doing - being a therapist myself, I could be biased, but I take great pride in seeing a client completely relaxed, de-stressed and ready to face the world after a treatment "

The most relaxing and inspiring thread ever read since my time on fab... The powers of words, knowledge and experiences of the various therapies....Thanks everyone..

"

The most relaxing and inspiring thread ever read since my time on fab... The powers of words, knowledge and experiences of the various therapies....Thanks everyone.. "

Shut up and get your massage couch out, could do with an extra rub down

Glasgow

" ..........

I have to disagree with you, if a patient feels better then that's a big step on the way to recovery - I used complementary therapies along with regular drugs/painkillers when I was suffering with my sciatica and arthritis and feeling better from the complementary stuff certainly helped. If a complementary therapy alleviates suffering in any way it can only be a good thing in my opinion "

How can anyone really tell which of two (or more) treatments applied at roughly the same time is having which effect?

That's before we get onto the 'did you expect the complementary therapy to work?'.

Glasgow

"

I agree with you here and would never advocate ongoing complementary therapy when symptoms are worsening or not improving - in fact there are some brilliant GPs these days who are more than happy to cooperate with the complementary therapists and homeopaths in the interest and to the benefit of patients (and the NHS as a whole).

I tend to think of complementary therapies as precisely that - complementary and my approach to medicine and the study of healing in the broadest sense as a holistic undertaking.

"

Provided complementary therapies are used as an adjunct to (say) chemotherapy, alcohol septal ablation or open heart surgery - that's fine.

I'd have reservations about their use as an alternative to such treatments.

" ..........

I have to disagree with you, if a patient feels better then that's a big step on the way to recovery - I used complementary therapies along with regular drugs/painkillers when I was suffering with my sciatica and arthritis and feeling better from the complementary stuff certainly helped. If a complementary therapy alleviates suffering in any way it can only be a good thing in my opinion

How can anyone really tell which of two (or more) treatments applied at roughly the same time is having which effect?

That's before we get onto the 'did you expect the complementary therapy to work?'."

I can only really speak of my own experience - being on over a dozen painkillers which took the edge of the pain then having a colonic and having sports massage (seperate times) which both had immediate effects. I didn't stop the painkillers and would never advocate that either, complementary means exactly that to me, it complements the "normal" (wrong word, but can't bring right one to mind) therapies

"

The most relaxing and inspiring thread ever read since my time on fab... The powers of words, knowledge and experiences of the various therapies....Thanks everyone..

Shut up and get your massage couch out, could do with an extra rub down "

I was in Manchester 2 weeks ago, yet you weren't around... Next time keep yer eyes and ears open... I'll be back!

"

Provided complementary therapies are used as an adjunct to (say) chemotherapy, alcohol septal ablation or open heart surgery - that's fine.

I'd have reservations about their use as an alternative to such treatments."

I understand that completely. I personally know a therapist who refused conventional chemotherapy and tried healing herself - she did so over a period of about 2 years and when she finally gave in and accepted conventional medicine she had lost about 4 st on weight and was a shadow of her former self. Sadly she died recently.

bristol

ive looked into alot of yoga and other disciplines where these kind of ways are the norm .. it makes for a very interesting read

"

I was in Manchester 2 weeks ago, yet you weren't around... Next time keep yer eyes and ears open... I'll be back! "

Note made and will keep one eye open

bristol

"

I'd have reservations about their use as an alternative to such treatments.I understand that completely. I personally know a therapist who refused conventional chemotherapy and tried healing herself - she did so over a period of about 2 years and when she finally gave in and accepted conventional medicine she had lost about 4 st on weight and was a shadow of her former self. Sadly she died recently."

i am sorry to hear that your friend passed away but, and I appologise in advance for deviating from the focus of this thread but, on a tangent, I, and lots of members of our family feel very strongly about life support machines as a way of keeping people alive .. I personally, would not wish to go on one, and if ever presented with that occasion, I would hope that those around me would ask for it to be switched off

"

I was in Manchester 2 weeks ago, yet you weren't around... Next time keep yer eyes and ears open... I'll be back!

Note made and will keep one eye open "

How quickly we can turn a serious poster into a hussy

Glasgow

"

..........on a tangent, I, and lots of members of our family feel very strongly about life support machines as a way of keeping people alive .. I personally, would not wish to go on one, and if ever presented with that occasion, I would hope that those around me would ask for it to be switched off "

It looks as if two sorts of patients go on life support machines.

Those who need help to get through a serious trauma.

Those who aren't going to survive but the medics need a bit of time to work out organ donation possibilities.

"

I'd have reservations about their use as an alternative to such treatments.I understand that completely. I personally know a therapist who refused conventional chemotherapy and tried healing herself - she did so over a period of about 2 years and when she finally gave in and accepted conventional medicine she had lost about 4 st on weight and was a shadow of her former self. Sadly she died recently.

i am sorry to hear that your friend passed away but, and I appologise in advance for deviating from the focus of this thread but, on a tangent, I, and lots of members of our family feel very strongly about life support machines as a way of keeping people alive .. I personally, would not wish to go on one, and if ever presented with that occasion, I would hope that those around me would ask for it to be switched off "

Dont worry - not deviating and in any case it is all kind of related anyway and makes interesting reading.

I think I would want the same for me.

bristol

"

..........on a tangent, I, and lots of members of our family feel very strongly about life support machines as a way of keeping people alive .. I personally, would not wish to go on one, and if ever presented with that occasion, I would hope that those around me would ask for it to be switched off

It looks as if two sorts of patients go on life support machines.

Those who need help to get through a serious trauma.

Those who aren't going to survive but the medics need a bit of time to work out organ donation possibilities."

indeedy .. i have no problem with being kept alive for my organs to be donated .. we have infact broken our own bond to do that in the past .. im talking about a life support machine as a way of preserving life that defies nature

bristol

some people positively engage medical intervention into their lives which is fine and I dont have an issue with that .. we however choose not to have it as part of our live. We will however allow medical intervention to our lives if there are people out there who would like to take advantage of it and we have enriched the lives of 6 families by allowing this in the past .. its just not a road that we would personally wish to go down

"some people positively engage medical intervention into their lives which is fine and I dont have an issue with that .. we however choose not to have it as part of our live. We will however allow medical intervention to our lives if there are people out there who would like to take advantage of it and we have enriched the lives of 6 families by allowing this in the past .. its just not a road that we would personally wish to go down "

I am not sure if I understand you correctly - are you talking here about organ donation or other (healing) medical intervention?

I use a lot of aromatherapy to compliment my prescribed meds & to counter some of the side effects x

By *artinichilled1TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

I have tried acupunture.I had 3 sessions.To be honest after each session I was incredibly relaxed.

"I use a lot of aromatherapy to compliment my prescribed meds & to counter some of the side effects x"
Can be powerful stuff - aromatherapy oils

"I have tried acupunture.I had 3 sessions.To be honest after each session I was incredibly relaxed."
Similar experience many years ago

bristol

"some people positively engage medical intervention into their lives which is fine and I dont have an issue with that .. we however choose not to have it as part of our live. We will however allow medical intervention to our lives if there are people out there who would like to take advantage of it and we have enriched the lives of 6 families by allowing this in the past .. its just not a road that we would personally wish to go down

I am not sure if I understand you correctly - are you talking here about organ donation or other (healing) medical intervention? "

we had to keep a family member alive for a week for organ donation

bristol

"I have tried acupunture.I had 3 sessions.To be honest after each session I was incredibly relaxed."

thats our experience as well

"some people positively engage medical intervention into their lives which is fine and I dont have an issue with that .. we however choose not to have it as part of our live. We will however allow medical intervention to our lives if there are people out there who would like to take advantage of it and we have enriched the lives of 6 families by allowing this in the past .. its just not a road that we would personally wish to go down

I am not sure if I understand you correctly - are you talking here about organ donation or other (healing) medical intervention?

we had to keep a family member alive for a week for organ donation "

Thanks for explaining.

bristol

its a queer road .. everyone has their take on it but I am 'as nature intended' most of the time .. i think nature has a very good way of looking after its self and it strikes a very good balance .. the times it seems to fuk up .. normally we have intervened

"its a queer road .. everyone has their take on it but I am 'as nature intended' most of the time .. i think nature has a very good way of looking after its self and it strikes a very good balance .. the times it seems to fuk up .. normally we have intervened "
Same applies really for so many things including organic fruit and vegetables...meat...It s often when we intervene that the problems begin.

"I use a lot of aromatherapy to compliment my prescribed meds & to counter some of the side effects x"

I've had bad experiences with conventional medicines in the past yet now thoroughly research any medication I would have to take... At the moment I don't take any conventional medication. I was heavily medicated as a child due to childhood illnesses, hence my deep passion for herbal meds. Yet for some people it is ok to take complement alternative therapies with pharmaceuticals when absolutely necessary... Lost dear friend of mine who had an aggressive cancer, yet he used purely herbal medication which he got from the U.S. He unfortunately could not bring it in the UK... Can't remember the name of the meds yet he seemed to heal... I find that many herbal practitioners stress to see a GP or specialist if symptoms of complex illnesses worsen. The human body is so complex and so faschanting and yet there is a wide range of choice of therapies both holistic and alternative that people can take once,they have the information to hand to choose how to self heal. .

"I have tried acupunture.I had 3 sessions.To be honest after each session I was incredibly relaxed.Similar experience many years ago "

What about us lot that are scared of needles though.

Not my idea of relaxing I can assure you.

I had complimentary therapy i think as someone said i did well

"its a queer road .. everyone has their take on it but I am 'as nature intended' most of the time .. i think nature has a very good way of looking after its self and it strikes a very good balance .. the times it seems to fuk up .. normally we have intervened "

True...

bristol

its each to their own and its about informed choices .. i wont eat meat again due to the 'horse' afair' which i know will be pumped with drugs that I do not want in my body .. my bloke however is happy with them in his .. i will still buy him a steak

"they have the information to hand to choose how to self heal. . "
Absolutely - you can only give people information and choices... they then take the responsibility themselves. And some may well decide to go down the complementary route knowing the potential risk of delaying conventional therapy. Freedom of choice.

"I have tried acupunture.I had 3 sessions.To be honest after each session I was incredibly relaxed.Similar experience many years ago

What about us lot that are scared of needles though.

Not my idea of relaxing I can assure you. "

I can see where you are coming from - not all therapies are suitable for everybody. I tried a particualr therapy a while back and would not try that one again.

"I had complimentary therapy i think as someone said i did well "

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 24/02/13 22:11:41]

"its each to their own and its about informed choices .. i wont eat meat again due to the 'horse' afair' which i know will be pumped with drugs that I do not want in my body .. my bloke however is happy with them in his .. i will still buy him a steak "
Absolutely - freedom of choice and it is about not trying to control another person's choices (although sometimes that can be difficult when you genuinely believe in something)

Glasgow

"they have the information to hand to choose how to self heal. . Absolutely - you can only give people information and choices... they then take the responsibility themselves. And some may well decide to go down the complementary route knowing the potential risk of delaying conventional therapy. Freedom of choice."

Freedom of choice only works when genuine evidence is to hand.

Anecdotal stuff doesn't cut it.

bristol

"they have the information to hand to choose how to self heal. . Absolutely - you can only give people information and choices... they then take the responsibility themselves. And some may well decide to go down the complementary route knowing the potential risk of delaying conventional therapy. Freedom of choice."

some people subscribe to the 'as nature intended school' and if we arent meant to have children or get cancer that kills us at 50 then that is what nature intended and we dont want to argue with it

"they have the information to hand to choose how to self heal. . Absolutely - you can only give people information and choices... they then take the responsibility themselves. And some may well decide to go down the complementary route knowing the potential risk of delaying conventional therapy. Freedom of choice.

Anecdotal stuff doesn't cut it."

Agreed - and sometimes the choice is not a genuine one for that reason... when not all information is available and presented in a a non bias way.

"they have the information to hand to choose how to self heal. . Absolutely - you can only give people information and choices... they then take the responsibility themselves. And some may well decide to go down the complementary route knowing the potential risk of delaying conventional therapy. Freedom of choice.

some people subscribe to the 'as nature intended school' and if we arent meant to have children or get cancer that kills us at 50 then that is what nature intended and we dont want to argue with it "

You know that is yet another really interesting topic... what to accept as "given"

Glasgow

Agreed - and sometimes the choice is not a genuine one for that reason... when not all information is available and presented in a a non bias way. "

If that were the case, we could do something about it. The challenge is that there is NO genuine info re complementary therapies.

Agreed - and sometimes the choice is not a genuine one for that reason... when not all information is available and presented in a a non bias way.

If that were the case, we could do something about it. The challenge is that there is NO genuine info re complementary therapies."

There is a vast difference between saying there is NO genuine info - and the information is not always availabe ina non bias way.

There is genuine research for exampleinto reflexology and its healing effects... and that is why it is being funded by the NHS in some parts of the country.

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

If that were the case, we could do something about it. The challenge is that there is NO genuine info re complementary therapies.

There is a vast difference between saying there is NO genuine info - and the information is not always availabe ina non bias way.

There is genuine research for exampleinto reflexology and its healing effects... and that is why it is being funded by the NHS in some parts of the country. "

I quite like a bit of a rubdown and a session with the thumper it really straitens your spine out ,very chilling

There is genuine research for exampleinto reflexology and its healing effects... and that is why it is being funded by the NHS in some parts of the country.

I quite like a bit of a rubdown and a session with the thumper it really straitens your spine out ,very chilling

"

lol.. think you might have to explain to the others what you mean by "Thumper" ... hevaen forbid they think you are talking about a rabbit....

Glasgow

" ............

There is genuine research for exampleinto reflexology and its healing effects... and that is why it is being funded by the NHS in some parts of the country. "

Where?

The NHS is going tits-up across the country and people are spending money researching snake oil salesmen?

all over the place

lol.. think you might have to explain to the others what you mean by "Thumper" ... hevaen forbid they think you are talking about a rabbit.... "

lol ok ,good point ,its a machine called a thumper massager which is a percussive massager ,i got one off ebay a few years ago,its so chilling ...most masseurs use them as it takes the strain off their wrists and then they just use hands on the hot spots where they need to dig deep...lol ...ouch .

" ............

Where?

The NHS is going tits-up across the country and people are spending money researching snake oil salesmen?"

Nope, not quite like that - first of all thre are no salesmen involved, snake oils dont come into the equation either. I know of surgeries where this is allocated as part of funded therapies just like counselling sessions are.

Glasgow

"

lol ok ,good point ,its a machine called a thumper massager which is a percussive massager ,i got one off ebay a few years ago,its so chilling ...most masseurs use them as it takes the strain off their wrists and then they just use hands on the hot spots where they need to dig deep...lol ...ouch ."

I was just about prepared to give the 'it can't do any harm' folks a hearing until I read this.

A machine you can buy off eBay FFS?

Your life in their hands?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I was given acupuncture by a NHS skeleton-muscular consultant, every week for six weeks. He had good evidence that it controlled pain in a lot of patients, not me unfortunately.

Several years later I was given acupuncture by NHS physio and it had such a sedative effect on me that he refused to do it again lol.

"

lol ok ,good point ,its a machine called a thumper massager which is a percussive massager ,i got one off ebay a few years ago,its so chilling ...most masseurs use them as it takes the strain off their wrists and then they just use hands on the hot spots where they need to dig deep...lol ...ouch .

I was just about prepared to give the 'it can't do any harm' folks a hearing until I read this.

Your life in their hands?"

Dont worry - I do know what pd is talking about and it happens to be a machine that wont harm anybody unless they swallowed it or decided to cut the cord and electrocute themselves deliberately.

"I was given acupuncture by a NHS skeleton-muscular consultant, every week for six weeks. He had good evidence that it controlled pain in a lot of patients, not me unfortunately.

Several years later I was given acupuncture by NHS physio and it had such a sedative effect on me that he refused to do it again lol. "

Similar to some painkillers including morphine - it works really well on me (I cannot tell the story publicly but it was rather funny) but my best mate had no benefit from it at all.

all over the place

"

Your life in their hands?"

ha ha ha no it is made a reputable large company,its just i saw one second hand on fleabay and thought why not it was unused and 2 years in is still going strong .

"

ha ha ha no it is made a reputable large company,its just i saw one second hand on fleabay and thought why not it was unused and 2 years in is still going strong ."

And I wonder if I am asking what others might think... has it had "alternative usage" ?;-)

Glasgow

"

Your life in their hands?Dont worry - I do know what pd is talking about and it happens to be a machine that wont harm anybody unless they swallowed it or decided to cut the cord and electrocute themselves deliberately. "

Or maybe has a pacemaker or ICD?

all over the place

"

ha ha ha no it is made a reputable large company,its just i saw one second hand on fleabay and thought why not it was unused and 2 years in is still going strong .And I wonder if I am asking what others might think... has it had "alternative usage" ?;-)"

errr the clue is in the percussive bit ..but i suppose if your into bdsm and had it on full you might enjoy it in the right places ..

"

Your life in their hands?Dont worry - I do know what pd is talking about and it happens to be a machine that wont harm anybody unless they swallowed it or decided to cut the cord and electrocute themselves deliberately.

Or maybe has a pacemaker or ICD?"

The product is freely available in US golf accessory shops - it is not what we would call "medical" but it can like many other devices be used on sore muscles. I have seen it... (the machine that is

"

ha ha ha no it is made a reputable large company,its just i saw one second hand on fleabay and thought why not it was unused and 2 years in is still going strong .And I wonder if I am asking what others might think... has it had "alternative usage" ?;-)

errr the clue is in the percussive bit ..but i suppose if your into bdsm and had it on full you might enjoy it in the right places .."

Jeeze, dont tell Onny that!!!!

Or anybody else for that matter !!

Glasgow

"

Your life in their hands?Dont worry - I do know what pd is talking about and it happens to be a machine that wont harm anybody unless they swallowed it or decided to cut the cord and electrocute themselves deliberately.

The product is freely available in US golf accessory shops - it is not what we would call "medical" but it can like many other devices be used on sore muscles. I have seen it... (the machine that is"

So are TENS machines.

"

The product is freely available in US golf accessory shops - it is not what we would call "medical" but it can like many other devices be used on sore muscles. I have seen it... (the machine that is

So are TENS machines."

I cannot argue with you now because I have just been given a lovely surprise (to eat) ... so I need both hands now

all over the place

"

ha ha ha no it is made a reputable large company,its just i saw one second hand on fleabay and thought why not it was unused and 2 years in is still going strong .And I wonder if I am asking what others might think... has it had "alternative usage" ?;-)

errr the clue is in the percussive bit ..but i suppose if your into bdsm and had it on full you might enjoy it in the right places ..Jeeze, dont tell Onny that!!!!

Or anybody else for that matter !! "

have you a complimentary confession to make ..

"

errr the clue is in the percussive bit ..but i suppose if your into bdsm and had it on full you might enjoy it in the right places ..Jeeze, dont tell Onny that!!!!

Or anybody else for that matter !!

have you a complimentary confession to make .. "

Sorry... got my mouth full....;-)

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

I am trained in Hypnotherapy and Emotional Freedom Technique (eft for short). I know both of them work.

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I have used acupuncture in the pass with some success

"

Or maybe has a pacemaker or ICD?"

Wild horses couldn't get me to give a massage to anyone with a pacemaker or ICD, let alone use a thumper on them. That's where good history taking comes into play.

The thumper does look ok, but I actually like to feel where the knots and clicks are when giving a massage, and love trying to get them moving to the lymph nodes. I favour deep tissue massage, maybe because I'm a bit heavy handed! But my clients always come back for more.

And I agree with you Onny, regarding replacing conventional medicine with complementary therapy - More serious conditions ie. cancers, do need pharmaceutical medicine and the help of the hospital oncology dept. But that's not to say complementary therapy doesn't have a place with these conditions too. I actually think the two treatments work well hand in hand

all over the place

"I have used acupuncture in the pass with some success "

Yes me too ,i was the biggest skeptic going with the concept of needles everywhere effecting a cure ,but fair cop it solved the problem ,and that was 25 years ago and its never returned. might of been coincidence but ...on this occasion as conventional medicine was on the point of minor surgery ,i am giving a point to the acupuncture forgive the pun ....

By *asey369Woman  over a year ago

London

Whilst I think that some homeopathic treatments have succeeded where western medicine has failed, these have not been subjected to the strict testing that pharmaceutical companies use and could also be causing long term damage.

Glasgow

"Whilst I think that some homeopathic treatments have succeeded where western medicine has failed, these have not been subjected to the strict testing that pharmaceutical companies use and could also be causing long term damage."

There is no possibility of homeopathic remedies working other than as a placebo.

London

"Whilst I think that some homeopathic treatments have succeeded where western medicine has failed, these have not been subjected to the strict testing that pharmaceutical companies use and could also be causing long term damage.

There is no possibility of homeopathic remedies working other than as a placebo."

That is completely incorrect. Homeopathic medicines are extremely effective in the treatment of conditions such as excema. Sadly we cane say with certainty the effects on the liver as they have not undergone the same testing process as western medicine.

Glasgow

" There is no possibility of homeopathic remedies working other than as a placebo.

That is completely incorrect. Homeopathic medicines are extremely effective in the treatment of conditions such as excema. ............."

OK. Produce your evidence.

London

" There is no possibility of homeopathic remedies working other than as a placebo.

That is completely incorrect. Homeopathic medicines are extremely effective in the treatment of conditions such as excema. .............

OK. Produce your evidence."

There are masses of articles supporting this. Google.

"

Wild horses couldn't get me to give a massage to anyone with a pacemaker or ICD, let alone use a thumper on them. That's where good history taking comes into play.

The thumper does look ok, but I actually like to feel where the knots and clicks are when giving a massage, and love trying to get them moving to the lymph nodes. I favour deep tissue massage, maybe because I'm a bit heavy handed! But my clients always come back for more.

And I agree with you Onny, regarding replacing conventional medicine with complementary therapy - More serious conditions ie. cancers, do need pharmaceutical medicine and the help of the hospital oncology dept. But that's not to say complementary therapy doesn't have a place with these conditions too. I actually think the two treatments work well hand in hand

"

A true professional

That is completely incorrect. Homeopathic medicines are extremely effective in the treatment of conditions such as excema. .............

There are masses of articles supporting this. Google."

I could provide multiple anecdotal evedince and would refer to google and reserach relating to this.

The good thing about the complementary therapies is this : There are no serious side effects - and more importantly, people have the choice!

Glasgow

There are masses of articles supporting this. Google."

Sorry, I meant proper scientific peer-reviewed evidence; not mumbo jumbo produced by snake oil salespeople.

Glasgow

"Homeopathic remedies are “rubbish” and do not serve as anything more than placebos, England’s chief medical officer has claimed. "

" Professor Dame Sally Davies said she was “perpetually surprised” homeopathy was provided on the NHS, and branded homeopaths “peddlers.”

Giving evidence to the Commons Science and Technology committee, she also expressed fears about the prescription of homeopathic remedies to treat malaria and other illnesses.

‘I’m very concerned when homeopathic practitioners try to peddle this way of life to prevent malaria or other infectious disease,” she said.

“I am perpetually surprised that homeopathy is available on the NHS.”

Dame Sally, who is England’s most senior doctor, concluded by remarking that homeopathy “is rubbish”. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9822744/Homeopathy-is-rubbish-says-chief-medical-officer.html

By *azzaahhWoman  over a year ago

north wales / chester

"I've long been a supporter of complimentary therapies and the best of the lot is the Bowen Therapy. Had reflexology, acupuncture, physiotherapy, Reiki, but there are lots more to left to try."

bowen technique works wonders for me too xx

By *inktherapyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

"

"

I agree - I like to feel the knots and tension and work at them and feel the clicks which shouldn't be there - massage is a hands on therapy, after all! And a full history should always be taken, for sure

Complementary therapies can be used to great effect with some cancer patients - relaxation and well being and the simple act of touch all have great positive benefits to those undergoing treatment - although I'd notify their specialist by letter prior to undertaking anything but the simplest of touches

By *etes-dragonCouple  over a year ago

Wales and the South West

I used to get really really bad hay fever. Eyes closed, nose streaming, couldnt breathe (you get the idea!). The OTCs helped but didnt completely relieve the symptoms. A homeopath was recommended by a friend and I laughed, then thought about it and thought lets give it a go. That was 9yrs ago. After a few sessions I now only have to take something once every few years if I notice the symptoms coming back. (iv only had to take topups once in the 9 yrs) So it worked for me.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

due to a work related incident i have some minor damage in one of my lungs which combined with dodgy sinus has led me to having been on anti biotics for chest infections the last 4 winters..

this time last year i didnt go to see my GP straight away when the symptoms started and was on the cusp of pneumonia, and a big bollocking off said GP..

have taken a different approach this winter in using herbal medicines and infusions and reflexology and reiki..

i am a typical bloke in that i hate going to see the doc and just 'crack on' so going down this route has been a big step personally..

not saying i was of the mind that complimentary therapies were bunkum or carried out by snake oil sales folk, just that they were something other people did..

thus far its been good, no chest infection so far..

do i feel better, yes as for myself it has worked in keeping the chest infection at bay by assisting my immune system etc..

would i use it for other stuff if applicable, never say never..

By *pecifically1Woman  over a year ago

Hull

"and what are people's experiences of reflexology, remedial massage, Reiki, Hot stone massage etc...

Anybody had genuine relief and benefit from seeking one of the above over a pain killer or other (prescribed) drug? "

Hot stones is wonderful but doesn't help with pain..just relaxation...Been on painkillers since Dec with docs advice and am fed up popping pills....

By *awkeye and HotlipsCouple  over a year ago

Takeley

Had accupuncture on a trapped nerve a few years years ago. I had an open mind, which was becoming more sceptical as the treatment went on as I was doing an impression of a hedgehog! Then....on needle number stupid ( don't think the practitioner had ever got a 9 dart finish ), it was like a warm feeling and the pain just vanished!!! My scepticism evaporated.

""Homeopathic remedies are “rubbish” and do not serve as anything more than placebos, England’s chief medical officer has claimed. "

" Professor Dame Sally Davies said she was “perpetually surprised” homeopathy was provided on the NHS, and branded homeopaths “peddlers.”

Giving evidence to the Commons Science and Technology committee, she also expressed fears about the prescription of homeopathic remedies to treat malaria and other illnesses.

‘I’m very concerned when homeopathic practitioners try to peddle this way of life to prevent malaria or other infectious disease,” she said.

Dame Sally, who is England’s most senior doctor, concluded by remarking that homeopathy “is rubbish”. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9822744/Homeopathy-is-rubbish-says-chief-medical-officer.html

"

I understand the scepticism - I have an analytic and science orientated mind myself - there is a little more to the dismissal of homeopathic remedies though - they cost pennies to make and are cheap. The pharamceutical industrial cannot possibly have a vested interest in selling the idea of cheap remedies when so much money can be made pushing pills down people's throats. Just a thought perhaps?

"I've long been a supporter of complimentary therapies and the best of the lot is the Bowen Therapy. Had reflexology, acupuncture, physiotherapy, Reiki, but there are lots more to left to try.

bowen technique works wonders for me too xx"

I have not experienced it but I know people who have had good results.

"

I agree - I like to feel the knots and tension and work at them and feel the clicks which shouldn't be there - massage is a hands on therapy, after all! And a full history should always be taken, for sure

Complementary therapies can be used to great effect with some cancer patients - relaxation and well being and the simple act of touch all have great positive benefits to those undergoing treatment - although I'd notify their specialist by letter prior to undertaking anything but the simplest of touches"

"I used to get really really bad hay fever. Eyes closed, nose streaming, couldnt breathe (you get the idea!). The OTCs helped but didnt completely relieve the symptoms. A homeopath was recommended by a friend and I laughed, then thought about it and thought lets give it a go. That was 9yrs ago. After a few sessions I now only have to take something once every few years if I notice the symptoms coming back. (iv only had to take topups once in the 9 yrs) So it worked for me. "
I also know (anecdotal of course) several cases of hayfever that have improved significantly.

"and what are people's experiences of reflexology, remedial massage, Reiki, Hot stone massage etc...

Anybody had genuine relief and benefit from seeking one of the above over a pain killer or other (prescribed) drug?

Hot stones is wonderful but doesn't help with pain..just relaxation...Been on painkillers since Dec with docs advice and am fed up popping pills...."

I, too believe Hot stone is great for relaxation and that remedial or sports massage is probably better for deep tissue issues.

"Had accupuncture on a trapped nerve a few years years ago. I had an open mind, which was becoming more sceptical as the treatment went on as I was doing an impression of a hedgehog! Then....on needle number stupid ( don't think the practitioner had ever got a 9 dart finish ), it was like a warm feeling and the pain just vanished!!! My scepticism evaporated. "
That is good news - I walwyas think that a sceptic convinced is better than 100 believers confirmed.

By *rightloonMan  over a year ago

Stafford

[Removed by poster at 25/02/13 22:12:30]

Stafford

Yes but would you submit to a double blind test......

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Yes but would you submit to a double blind test......"

Blindfolds AND masks?

Yes but would you submit to a double blind test......"

Does that mean we d all be blind folded?

Blindfolds AND masks?"

PMSL Great minds shag alike

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I always used to think complimentary therapies where when you paid some overqualified shrink to sit there and tell you how great you were and that no, your bum didn't look big in that!

Oops! "

No, complimentary therapies are free like the little bottles of shampoo you get in hotels.

all over the place

i am not too sure i fancy unregulated homeopathic medicines administered by people with no training though , as some of these plants even when diluted can potentially have adverse effects.

I think i would still want the person administering to have pharmacological training or even be a full on medical doctor.

"i am not too sure i fancy unregulated homeopathic medicines administered by people with no training though , as some of these plants even when diluted can potentially have adverse effects.

I think i would still want the person administering to have pharmacological training or even be a full on medical doctor. "

One of the local GPs in my surgery practises homeopathy and acupuncture alongside allopathy!

all over the place

"i am not too sure i fancy unregulated homeopathic medicines administered by people with no training though , as some of these plants even when diluted can potentially have adverse effects.

I think i would still want the person administering to have pharmacological training or even be a full on medical doctor. One of the local GPs in my surgery practises homeopathy and acupuncture alongside allopathy! "

whats allopathy ?

Stafford

""Homeopathic remedies are “rubbish” and do not serve as anything more than placebos, England’s chief medical officer has claimed. "

"

OK let me counterbalance this argument then....

You'd better look up Ruta 6 as a cure for cancer then. The American Food and Drug Administration (of all people...) is conducting full blown controlled medical studies on it and has found it to be at least as effective as other therapies even on brain tumors and pancreatic that are the most difficult to treat.

And this is just the start. There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it and this is what fascinates the Americans.

The reason why scientific studies have shown homeopathy to be poor performing in the past is because they were either set up that way by not using the correct procedure for selecting the studies (down right cheating) or because the allopathic doctors prescribing had no idea how to use homeopathy so were also destined to fail.

This rubbishing of homeopathy without giving it fair trials is deeply unscientific as well as unfair since we should at least have a level playing field if we are going to attempt to shoot something down. Are we practicing science or marketing here after all?

Several extensive, very dependable and unbiased studies are now showing that Homeopathy works at least as well as conventional medicine for certain conditions. The scientific thing to do is to accept the evidence and then try and understand quite how it is possible for it to work.

I think i would still want the person administering to have pharmacological training or even be a full on medical doctor. One of the local GPs in my surgery practises homeopathy and acupuncture alongside allopathy!

whats allopathy ?"

Soz, allopathy = conventional medicine (treats to combat illness) whereas Hahnemann's homeopathy treats like with similar so for example a cough would be treated with something that in conventional medicine would cause a cough, but is infinitesimally small dosage.

OK let me counterbalance this argument then....

You'd better look up Ruta 6 as a cure for cancer then. The American Food and Drug Administration (of all people...) is conducting full blown controlled medical studies on it and has found it to be at least as effective as other therapies even on brain tumors and pancreatic that are the most difficult to treat.

And this is just the start. There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it and this is what fascinates the Americans.

The reason why scientific studies have shown homeopathy to be poor performing in the past is because they were either set up that way by not using the correct procedure for selecting the studies (down right cheating) or because the allopathic doctors prescribing had no idea how to use homeopathy so were also destined to fail.

This rubbishing of homeopathy without giving it fair trials is deeply unscientific as well as unfair since we should at least have a level playing field if we are going to attempt to shoot something down. Are we practicing science or marketing here after all?

Several extensive, very dependable and unbiased studies are now showing that Homeopathy works at least as well as conventional medicine for certain conditions. The scientific thing to do is to accept the evidence and then try and understand quite how it is possible for it to work."

well said

Stafford

Blindfolds AND masks?PMSL Great minds shag alike "

Yep. Its all good fun.

Blindfolds AND masks?PMSL Great minds shag alike

Yep. Its all good fun."

Glasgow

" .........And this is just the start. There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it and this is what fascinates the Americans."

Can you provide any evidence?

"..........

Several extensive, very dependable and unbiased studies are now showing that Homeopathy works at least as well as conventional medicine for certain conditions. The scientific thing to do is to accept the evidence and then try and understand quite how it is possible for it to work."

Show us the evidence then.

Simply stating "There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it is an unsubstantiated claim" not proof.

" .........And this is just the start. There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it and this is what fascinates the Americans.

Several extensive, very dependable and unbiased studies are now showing that Homeopathy works at least as well as conventional medicine for certain conditions. The scientific thing to do is to accept the evidence and then try and understand quite how it is possible for it to work.

Simply stating "There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it is an unsubstantiated claim" not proof."

Eyups its CSI

" .........And this is just the start. There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it and this is what fascinates the Americans.

Simply stating "There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it is an unsubstantiated claim" not proof."

Its a sketchy science at best and more a belief cure in most cases and works better on a certain kind of mind. Cancer wise well lets be honest it did Steve Jobbs shit all good as he died.

Simply stating "There are homeopathic clinics in India that have thousands of cancer patients cured with the biopsies to prove it is an unsubstantiated claim" not proof.

Its a sketchy science at best and more a belief cure in most cases and works better on a certain kind of mind. Cancer wise well lets be honest it did Steve Jobbs shit all good as he died."

I Forgot about Jobbs was he on the bullshit juice then?

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 25/02/13 23:46:47]

Glasgow

Jobs was big enough to decide for himself what route to take.

My concern is that there are quacks out there selling false hope to parents whose kids are running out of chances.

Its a sketchy science at best and more a belief cure in most cases and works better on a certain kind of mind. Cancer wise well lets be honest it did Steve Jobbs shit all good as he died.I Forgot about Jobbs was he on the bullshit juice then?"

He had a metastatic tumor and was a victim of misplaced belief in homeopathy.

Think of it like santa and great for some people who like simplistic hopes for cures.

My mother is a feflexoligist and does a lot with colour healing she does crystal healing and loads of other stuff. Me I'm a spiritualist healer got the gift of healing hands