FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Washing Machines

Washing Machines

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Its come to that time where i need a new one.. my current one takes near on 3 hours for a basic cycle of standard washing which to be fair is a joke.. (was given it when i moved)

How come there is such a massive difference in price within the washing machine sections,, if i spend out hundreds do they clean my clothes any better than perhaps a cheaper product?

I am so not tech savvy when it comes to these things.. just want a simple to use (no masses of buttons and all kinds of settings) and quick wash (im not likely to get plastered in mud on a daily basis)

HELP.. signed dumbass of Devon

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They are so expensive...ive been putting off buying one for some time.The catch on the door of mine is broken but it still washes well so i havn't replaced it,i just open it with a butter knife

Dear dumb ass of Devon. Think a lot has to do with energy efficiency and consumption. Also paying for brand names and wether you want it integrated or not hope this helps.

Signed knows to more about domestic appliances than a male should

"Dear dumb ass of Devon. Think a lot has to do with energy efficiency and consumption. Also paying for brand names and wether you want it integrated or not hope this helps.

Signed knows to more about domestic appliances than a male should "

Much not more

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

If you find an honest sales person in a store where they handle repairs too (johnny lou lou are generally good ) ask which brands are most reliable - some brands rarely need repairs. Then ask which models are most reliable.

A good sales person knows their stock and would rather offer sound advice that gets your confidence than just make a quick sale.

Don't be afraid to say you're only fact finding right now and go first thing on a quiet day (early in the week ) when they'll have both time and inclination to chat.

"If you find an honest sales person in a store where they handle repairs too (johnny lou lou are generally good ) ask which brands are most reliable - some brands rarely need repairs. Then ask which models are most reliable.

A good sales person knows their stock and would rather offer sound advice that gets your confidence than just make a quick sale.

Don't be afraid to say you're only fact finding right now and go first thing on a quiet day (early in the week ) when they'll have both time and inclination to chat. "

i was just gonna head to Currys as its the only electrical retailer i'm aware of.. plus wanted to go physically see the product before purchasing, perhaps im naive just thought retail giants would know everything. Not keen on places like Ar'goose' for stuff like this.

Also Silver painted/coated/coloured products are cheaper than the same model in white.. so thinking of changing from white to silver appliances

Have a look in currys for one you like then look at Argos tesco etc etc . Also look at a site called appliances on line ( friend saved hundreds of pounds )

Sheffield

"Also Silver painted/coated/coloured products are cheaper than the same model in white.. so thinking of changing from white to silver appliances "

If you have a john lewis near you the staff are very well trained, don't get commission and they will price match.

They also deal with problems well.

Just PM'd you as wouldn't want to ruin my reputation and come across as some kind of 'domestic goddess' !!

"Just PM'd you as wouldn't want to ruin my reputation and come across as some kind of 'domestic goddess' !! "

i so want to copy and paste how much detail that pm contained of the love n desire you have for your washing machine and how its never let you down.. you closet kitchen appliance romantic you!

Argos do a good enough range.. Deliver for around a tender and usually get some on offer

May sound daft but I would never go for an all singing all dancing one as they have so much more to go wrong. Look at how many programmes you use get a good brand and the basic bog standard one.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I got the one i got from a small independant retailer, not sure how much it was but it was very reasonable in comparison and ive had it about 6 years and nothing has ever gone wrong except it now leaks a little.

My last one i had ten years that was a hotpoint. I have a good relationship with washing machines

"May sound daft but I would never go for an all singing all dancing one as they have so much more to go wrong. Look at how many programmes you use get a good brand and the basic bog standard one. "
are we still discusing washing machines??

[Removed by poster at 21/02/13 09:16:47]

"Just PM'd you as wouldn't want to ruin my reputation and come across as some kind of 'domestic goddess' !!

i so want to copy and paste how much detail that pm contained of the love n desire you have for your washing machine and how its never let you down.. you closet kitchen appliance romantic you! "

Hey - I liked mine as it had a quick 15 min setting and even a setting for trainers!!

I do miss it!

Oh and if you pay cash you should get a bit of discount at least 2% as thats how much it costs to process a credit card

Beko is a good product ! Easy to use and good with energy savings ! Ive had beko for over 3 years and no problem xxx

i have ruined so many clothes by just bunging mixed colours and fabrics into one wash because the cycle takes 3 hours. Theres only me and a small person here so to get enough clothes takes a while to build up to put on seperate washes.

Hoping the 'quick wash' or 'half load' functions might help maintain clothes quality for longer

Currys is very good, Argos too.

Good thing to do is ring up a repair place like in Paignton we've got automates and ask them

Which washing machine they think is the best for money, and which ones last longest and hardly need repairs X

Have you thought about getting a reconditoned one

"Have you thought about getting a reconditoned one"

Haven't actually only because i didn't think they would come with a warranty should anything go tits up

Sheffield

"i have ruined so many clothes by just bunging mixed colours and fabrics into one wash because the cycle takes 3 hours. Theres only me and a small person here so to get enough clothes takes a while to build up to put on seperate washes.

Hoping the 'quick wash' or 'half load' functions might help maintain clothes quality for longer "

then look at capacity - my friends washer holds far more than I produce in a week by myself !

By *kmale421Man  over a year ago

wirral

I bought the last one off a lady on Ebay, for a total price of £40.

The only reason she was selling it was because she had bought a new kitchen and this one didn't go with the new look.

Guess I was lucky, but it was a total bargain and works better and faster than the previous one I owned.

Have a look at ukwhitegoods page, they give you a lot of advice about buying as well as repairing.

"Currys is very good, Argos too.

Good thing to do is ring up a repair place like in Paignton we've got automates and ask them

Which washing machine they think is the best for money, and which ones last longest and hardly need repairs X"

If I ran a washing machine repair business I'd be recommending the ones that fucked up the most!!!

Hey - it makes perfect business sense!

"Have you thought about getting a reconditoned one

Haven't actually only because i didn't think they would come with a warranty should anything go tits up"

reconditioned usually only have a 3 month warranty.

I've only ever had 2 washing machines and they've both been Hotpoint. They have been fairly basic models but included the different settings of wash I require.

Whatever you do don't get an Eco one, mine takes 2 hrs to do a basic wash and it seriously cracks me up x

looks like ive lots to consider

tune in this afternoon for the thread on 'fridge freezer advice needed' haha

"I've only ever had 2 washing machines and they've both been Hotpoint. They have been fairly basic models but included the different settings of wash I require. "

im not a brand snob yet i am drawn to hotpoint, hoover and whirlpool... only because i have heard of them.

beko and indesit are coming up a fair bit though

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

Ask to speak to the floor manager and not the schooly that talks to the tits instead of the person!!

If paying cash, ask for a discount/freebies. Also, let them give you a "take home" price then say you will see what offers "rivals.... Insert name here" can give you, guaranteed you will pay less than floor price x

work out what you need ....... which specific washes, how fast you want the spin speed, and cost you are prepared to pay .......... then go hunting

"Whatever you do don't get an Eco one, mine takes 2 hrs to do a basic wash and it seriously cracks me up x "

mine takes just under 3 hours, is noisy as buggary so cant put washing on when i finish work (8pm) and is approx 7 yr old now.. deffo time for the upgrade to new model and scrap this one

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

Dont always go for the big names....

Servis is a hotpoint under another name!!

"Whatever you do don't get an Eco one, mine takes 2 hrs to do a basic wash and it seriously cracks me up x

mine takes just under 3 hours, is noisy as buggary so cant put washing on when i finish work (8pm) and is approx 7 yr old now.. deffo time for the upgrade to new model and scrap this one "

If your machines still working sell it as some companies try to get you to pay for them taking machine away.

"Dont always go for the big names....

Servis is a hotpoint under another name!! "

learn something new everyday

I buy second hand every time, I cannot afford brand new plus given washing machines don't last long, I don't see the point. The best one I got was a Hoover nextra as it has both 2 hr washes and short washes, so much cheaper on the electricity. My present one has the same options too

By *kmale421Man  over a year ago

wirral

Forget getting a new washing machine, take your stuff to the laundrette, you never know you might see a guy who needs to wash his Levi's Stonewash jeans...

Bosch are extremely reliable and better than Hotpoint in my opinion and experience.

Mine has a 15 mins cycle and a main wash only takes 50 mins, other functions too and great capacity etc, can PM you the model.

Curry's are far more expensive, find the machine you want and go online to get the cheapest price, Co-op electrical always have good deals.

By *win PeaksCouple  over a year ago

Northamptonshire

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius, I've had it best part of 9 years, and have only needed to change the brushes on it which cost about £20. Easy to program, just has a dial, Hubby still hasn't a clue how to use it though

N

"Bosch are extremely reliable and better than Hotpoint in my opinion and experience.

Mine has a 15 mins cycle and a main wash only takes 50 mins, other functions too and great capacity etc, can PM you the model.

Curry's are far more expensive, find the machine you want and go online to get the cheapest price, Co-op electrical always have good deals."

All my appliances are bosch, washing machine is 16 yrs old now and the only thing to go wrong with it was the pump stopped, but once I cleared a blockage in it, it worked again.

"May sound daft but I would never go for an all singing all dancing one as they have so much more to go wrong. Look at how many programmes you use get a good brand and the basic bog standard one. are we still discusing washing machines?? "

yes

By *ashful BazMan  over a year ago

poole dorset

Got home and found the wife dead in the washing machine earlier

I'm gutted.......

But at least she died in Comfort!

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I inherited my Zanussi Z917 from my late mother. It's over 30 years old and, touch wood, is going great.

Once a year or so I pull it out from the wall and make sure all the hoses are tight, check for loose screws/ nuts and I clear the filter at the same time. I dunno if this helps but it makes me feel more comfortable about it.

By *ashful BazMan  over a year ago

poole dorset

"I inherited my Zanussi Z917 from my late mother. It's over 30 years old and, touch wood, is going great.

Once a year or so I pull it out from the wall and make sure all the hoses are tight, check for loose screws/ nuts and I clear the filter at the same time. I dunno if this helps but it makes me feel more comfortable about it."

Same as us, our Zanussi has to be twenty years old now.

Price will vary according to quality of build and "latest functions" but also efficiency. Goods are badged with energy ratings now and you'll find the most efficient are more expensive.

So basically the more you pay for your machine, the lower the running costs / electricity used. Might be worth getting the sales person to weigh this up for you. You could spend say £30 less but end up paying £30 more every year you use it as an example.

» Add a new message to this topic