FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Career Change

Career Change

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just seen that Lincolnshire Fire Brigade are hiring for the first time in years and I'm very bored at the moment with engineering although it does pay well!!!!

Obviously the uniform would have its uses and everyone loves a hero and all that but Im not sure i could get my head round the extreme trauma that could comes with the job, especially if it involved little kids

Do I throw caution to the wind and go for it????

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes , nothing ventured nothing gained

Is it something you've always wanted to do or is it the romantic idea that you'd look a hero in the uniform? Fireman, like nurse or doctor or police or any armed forces is not a job but a vocation & as such should only have the very best - even if the pay might not be the very best. No doubt the work has its own rewards, but think carefully if you can make a difference.

PS: If you do go for it... good luck.

"Is it something you've always wanted to do or is it the romantic idea that you'd look a hero in the uniform? Fireman, like nurse or doctor or police or any armed forces is not a job but a vocation & as such should only have the very best - even if the pay might not be the very best. No doubt the work has its own rewards, but think carefully if you can make a difference. "

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Spent 15 years in the forces and that was a career I took on at last min and loved it!!!!

Just looking for something different, something exciting, not particularly money orientated so sort of a starting a new beginning to my life

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Just seen that Lincolnshire Fire Brigade are hiring for the first time in years and I'm very bored at the moment with engineering although it does pay well!!!!

Obviously the uniform would have its uses and everyone loves a hero and all that but Im not sure i could get my head round the extreme trauma that could comes with the job, especially if it involved little kids

Do I throw caution to the wind and go for it????

"

pop in to your local station and have a chat with them, lose the 'loves a hero' thing..

ask them about work routines, training etc..

its shift work so weekends, family celebrations etc will be effected..

its a vocation, they wont answer any questions in depth about dealing with fatal's etc..

one to one may be better for that, all Brigades have in house welfare and counselling services nowdays..

good luck if you decide its for you..

"Spent 15 years in the forces and that was a career I took on at last min and loved it!!!!

Just looking for something different, something exciting, not particularly money orientated so sort of a starting a new beginning to my life "

Then I think you might just be rewarded in the career change but as the next poster says, drop in on the local station & have a friendly word, get some choice opinions, consider if its right for you & go with what your heart tells you (if money is not the driving force). My guts say you might just enjoy it.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Spent 15 years in the forces and that was a career I took on at last min and loved it!!!!

Just looking for something different, something exciting, not particularly money orientated so sort of a starting a new beginning to my life "

If you enjoyed the structured life style and routines you had in the Forces you might feel quite at home with the Fire Service. Plus you will never know what lies ahead the next day so this may appeal to your sense of adventure. I d say do what other posters suggested and go and chat to a few of them? If you do... best of luck

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

I'm jacking in IT and photography (as a career, not a hobby), to go to University in September to be a Social Worker !

» Add a new message to this topic