FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The obsession with not taking pills

The obsession with not taking pills

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *phrodite OP   Woman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

ok, this is tongue in cheek and inspired by the "home remedies" thread but also based on my own experience of what people have said to me.

I am really curious why are people so reluctant to take medication and rather suffer? I do understand not wanting to put unnecessary chemicals into one's body... but hey, if you look at the list of ingredients on most processed foods and drinks... we hardly need to worry about being on a few pills here and now, or do we?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I have to take medication, not just medication but very toxic medication. I have to have monthly blood tests. Think im on about 25 a day now, not sure as most are in a docet box and i just open and take. I dont know what a life without medication is. I would love to know, when i worry about trying to function sometimes my nurse says most people wouldnt be able to move let alone think on the stuff your on.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

My daughter really doesn't like to take painkillers when she has a headache. No idea why.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I dont take any medication, not even pain killers

I dont agree with animal testing so i dont take anything thats been tested on them

I completely understand some people hate taking pills almost like a phobia (one of my kids is a bit like that). I also understand that when you are already on umpteen different medications this may put you off taking more... perhaps.

I am just wondering as I have heard this so often "I don't like taking pills" ... I rather suffer.

What else stops people? Again bearing in mind the crap (sorry not my usual refined style lol) we have in our food?

"I dont take any medication, not even pain killers

I dont agree with animal testing so i dont take anything thats been tested on them

"

I get that, totally !

my daughter has a fair bit of regular medication to take and some to take as and when she needs it - she is stubbborn as a mule when it comes to taking the extra until lately when it was either double one or start on steroids - oooo that certain 18 yr old didnt want a fat neck - never seen her so keen to take them now - made me and the doc laugh

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"My daughter really doesn't like to take painkillers when she has a headache. No idea why."

I was always the same, if something was hurting it was for a reason. Treat the cause not the response.

Not that way now, I can not manage the pain anymore without a hand full of painkillers, the side effect being that they slowly break down my gut.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

my personal reason for not wanting to take medication is that I find if you leave your body and immune system to deal with the inmfection or whatever then you dont seem to suffer so many illnesses in the future.

i think most headaches are due to dehydation - plenty water and wait half an hour often gets rid

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

i don't like a lot but when i need them, it's cool

"i think most headaches are due to dehydation - plenty water and wait half an hour often gets rid"

i have found that too, i drink water when i have a headache and it seems to clear it up

" the side effect being that they slowly break down my gut. "

I totally get that as well... side effects having a detrimental effect on your health. I was more wondeirng about people who rather have a miserable day with a pounding heachache to name but one example than to take a couple of painkillers. I really don t get that when same people drink sweetened fizzy drinks with a long list of (some are really bad) ingredients, preservatives, flavour enhancers etc...

"i think most headaches are due to dehydation - plenty water and wait half an hour often gets rid"
True, and I would always try that first

dudley

"I completely understand some people hate taking pills almost like a phobia (one of my kids is a bit like that). I also understand that when you are already on umpteen different medications this may put you off taking more... perhaps.

I am just wondering as I have heard this so often "I don't like taking pills" ... I rather suffer.

What else stops people? Again bearing in mind the crap (sorry not my usual refined style lol) we have in our food? "

I come from a farming family and as such very rare we eat ready made food

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I used to get dreadful ear infections. teh doctor would never give me antibiotics at first, always eardrops that didn't work. I went to the emergency clinic and the nurse to me to alternate ibuprofen and paracetomol every 2 hours. It was bliss!!

I agree there is no reason to take them willy nilly for every twinge. But when you are in agony, painkillers really do exactly what they say on the tin.

"I completely understand some people hate taking pills almost like a phobia (one of my kids is a bit like that). I also understand that when you are already on umpteen different medications this may put you off taking more... perhaps.

What else stops people? Again bearing in mind the crap (sorry not my usual refined style lol) we have in our food?

I come from a farming family and as such very rare we eat ready made food"

Fair enough

"I used to get dreadful ear infections. teh doctor would never give me antibiotics at first, always eardrops that didn't work. I went to the emergency clinic and the nurse to me to alternate ibuprofen and paracetomol every 2 hours. It was bliss!!

I agree there is no reason to take them willy nilly for every twinge. But when you are in agony, painkillers really do exactly what they say on the tin."

bristol

dont really eat processed foods as I go to the butchers, bakers, and greengrocers each day and make our meals

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

I'm with Diamondsmiles on this one. I am on 16 different meds daily, and without them I probably wouldn't be able to get out of bed, never mind function throughout the day.

I'd rather take the medication that's been tested on animals than suffer to the extent I would have to without them.

That being said. If there was a better way of testing it that would preserve animals more I would prefer that.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I'm sorry, but if I have a pain and something will take it away, I will pop the pills, no reason to suffer if you don't need to!

That goes for either head or back pain, but if back pain, then there is no stopping me, as there is nothing worse!

It is a privilege to be able to choose wether you want to take medication. When ppl don't have that choice and do without (developing world) the result is high infant mortality and low life expectancy (45yrs where I am currently). So count yourselves lucky to have access to life saving chemicals even if they were tested on animals and may have side effects.

I used to be gobsmacked when my heroin addicted clients would refuse to take antidepressants prescribed for them because they 'didn't like taking tablets'. Go figure that one

"I'm sorry, but if I have a pain and something will take it away, I will pop the pills, no reason to suffer if you don't need to!

That goes for either head or back pain, but if back pain, then there is no stopping me, as there is nothing worse! "

This is kind of where I am coming from. Now if I had a completely organic life style and were able to avoid all harmful substances then I could see the avoidance of pills to be a natural extension of the philosophy. But I don't , well it is almost impossible to do so even when you are able to afford organic foods etc... so I cannot see the point in suffering when there is a pill to stop it - I am exaggerating as always to make a point

"It is a privilege to be able to choose wether you want to take medication. When ppl don't have that choice and do without (developing world) the result is high infant mortality and low life expectancy (45yrs where I am currently). So count yourselves lucky to have access to life saving chemicals even if they were tested on animals and may have side effects."
Really good point!

"I used to be gobsmacked when my heroin addicted clients would refuse to take antidepressants prescribed for them because they 'didn't like taking tablets'. Go figure that one "
I have heard that and similar before!

dudley

" the side effect being that they slowly break down my gut.

I totally get that as well... side effects having a detrimental effect on your health. I was more wondeirng about people who rather have a miserable day with a pounding heachache to name but one example than to take a couple of painkillers. I really don t get that when same people drink sweetened fizzy drinks with a long list of (some are really bad) ingredients, preservatives, flavour enhancers etc..."

Not a great fan of fizzy drinks either, really dislike watching children bounce off the walls after drinking them

I totally get that as well... side effects having a detrimental effect on your health. I was more wondeirng about people who rather have a miserable day with a pounding heachache to name but one example than to take a couple of painkillers. I really don t get that when same people drink sweetened fizzy drinks with a long list of (some are really bad) ingredients, preservatives, flavour enhancers etc...

Not a great fan of fizzy drinks either, really dislike watching children bounce off the walls after drinking them "

I dont touch etc and have actively stopped my children from having it wherever I could. At the time they thought I was cruel... today they have no fillings and are in really good health.

"ok, this is tongue in cheek and inspired by the "home remedies" thread but also based on my own experience of what people have said to me.

I am really curious why are people so reluctant to take medication and rather suffer? I do understand not wanting to put unnecessary chemicals into one's body... but hey, if you look at the list of ingredients on most processed foods and drinks... we hardly need to worry about being on a few pills here and now, or do we?

"

I have to take meds every day and am sick of it....I really dont want to. 26 tabs per day gets on ya wick...

By *arlmanMan  over a year ago

Southend

To me it's not the taking of the tablets or what's in them, I don't want to kill the pain as I want to know if I am doing to much and to listen to my body

"To me it's not the taking of the tablets or what's in them, I don't want to kill the pain as I want to know if I am doing to much and to listen to my body"
Really good point - I totally get that!

"ok, this is tongue in cheek and inspired by the "home remedies" thread but also based on my own experience of what people have said to me.

I have to take meds every day and am sick of it....I really dont want to. 26 tabs per day gets on ya wick... "

Bet you are sick of it - I really do empathise with those who have to be on lots of medication and have no choice.

dudley

Not a great fan of fizzy drinks either, really dislike watching children bounce off the walls after drinking them I dont touch etc and have actively stopped my children from having it wherever I could. At the time they thought I was cruel... today they have no fillings and are in really good health. "

That is the difference with some they let children have all the modern day crap and then moan about their weight go figure that

The other mth i decided to stop taking them all....(just had enough)

I lasted two weeks in considerable pain and had every drawer turned inside out looking for some. in the end i contacted docs and they rushed me some through on the same day,. never again.

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I'm on very few tablets now, but prior to my op was taking about 20 heavy duty painkillers a day, and at one point was on oral morphine as well as tramadols - having abused my body with cigarettes, alcohol, fatty and processed foods for many, many years, a few drugs ain't gonna phase me and I'll always pop a paracetamol if I've got a banging head - and if I need stronger drugs, I'll take them

dudley

"The other mth i decided to stop taking them all....(just had enough)

I lasted two weeks in considerable pain and had every drawer turned inside out looking for some. in the end i contacted docs and they rushed me some through on the same day,. never again. "

Once a month I go cold turkey off mine, so everyone says I am impossible to live with. I think they are just being too sensitive

have had some bad experiences with prescription drugs, mostly when i was young i took too many once by mistake and twice on purpose.

i dont trust doctors, i am frightened of them, they try and force you to take drugs you dont want.

you only have to see what goes on in old peoples homes, some drugs have realy bad side effects as well.

i only take what i realy have too.

i have diabetes and have had to take antibiotics for ear infections.

also i feel guilty taking them because they have been tested on animals.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

"I'm sorry, but if I have a pain and something will take it away, I will pop the pills, no reason to suffer if you don't need to!

That goes for either head or back pain, but if back pain, then there is no stopping me, as there is nothing worse! This is kind of where I am coming from. Now if I had a completely organic life style and were able to avoid all harmful substances then I could see the avoidance of pills to be a natural extension of the philosophy. But I don't , well it is almost impossible to do so even when you are able to afford organic foods etc... so I cannot see the point in suffering when there is a pill to stop it - I am exaggerating as always to make a point "

I totally agree! If my back goes it goes big time and there is no way, I would allow it to happen if I could stop it before hand, so I do have the drugs on hand just in case. Bearing in mind if it does go, I cannot walk never mind anything else, but I never abuse what I have in the house, I know what pain I can and cannot take

I have to take meds every day and am sick of it....I really dont want to. 26 tabs per day gets on ya wick... "

I hate it, not so bad now ive got some of them in a doset box but i still have to count some of them out. Im just about to do my nighttime ones and its when i take the most and i dread doing them each night

I have to take meds every day and am sick of it....I really dont want to. 26 tabs per day gets on ya wick...

I hate it, not so bad now ive got some of them in a doset box but i still have to count some of them out. Im just about to do my nighttime ones and its when i take the most and i dread doing them each night"

I know boots do it for the place I work and am not sure if they do it for people at home but maybe worth asking. They put all meds in files for the month day by day and by time as well so no need to count just pop them out.

bristol

i suffer with a bad back due to a RTA but find that excerise works better for me than popping pills as I think it loosens up the muscles .. an hour or so out on my bike always seems to do the trick.,, think its about finding what works best for you

"i suffer with a bad back due to a RTA but find that excerise works better for me than popping pills as I think it loosens up the muscles .. an hour or so out on my bike always seems to do the trick.,, think its about finding what works best for you "
I find the gym and some specific exercises help me, too. And that is preferable to popping pills - just keen to know why people rather suffer in some cases.

I hate it, not so bad now ive got some of them in a doset box but i still have to count some of them out. Im just about to do my nighttime ones and its when i take the most and i dread doing them each night

I know boots do it for the place I work and am not sure if they do it for people at home but maybe worth asking. They put all meds in files for the month day by day and by time as well so no need to count just pop them out. "

I have mine weekly in a box but some cant be put in there because they absorb the air

I know boots do it for the place I work and am not sure if they do it for people at home but maybe worth asking. They put all meds in files for the month day by day and by time as well so no need to count just pop them out. "

I have mine weekly in a box but some cant be put in there because they absorb the air

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

"

good post i dont eat processed foods either make most of my food fresh as for drinks and stuff i do check ingredients hate the thought of massive amounts of e no and additives runnig through me) i take medication only when i really becomes neccesary been on pain killers for to many yrs and seen lots of people addicted to them so scares me senseless so only take when pain is unmanagable thats my take probably 100% wrong but there you go strangly i dont check sweets and choclate though

bristol

"i suffer with a bad back due to a RTA but find that excerise works better for me than popping pills as I think it loosens up the muscles .. an hour or so out on my bike always seems to do the trick.,, think its about finding what works best for you I find the gym and some specific exercises help me, too. And that is preferable to popping pills - just keen to know why people rather suffer in some cases."

my personal reasons for this are because pain is there for a reason .. it lets your body know that there is a problem of some kind and usually you should adjust your activity accordingly. Knumbing it with pain killers seems to defeat the object

"i suffer with a bad back due to a RTA but find that excerise works better for me than popping pills as I think it loosens up the muscles .. an hour or so out on my bike always seems to do the trick.,, think its about finding what works best for you I find the gym and some specific exercises help me, too. And that is preferable to popping pills - just keen to know why people rather suffer in some cases.

my personal reasons for this are because pain is there for a reason .. it lets your body know that there is a problem of some kind and usually you should adjust your activity accordingly. Knumbing it with pain killers seems to defeat the object "

+1 was gonna say this but not quite so eloquently

As someone else said, headaches are often down to not drinking enough water, I tend to have big drink and sleep it off if I can.

I also get back pain and will do without the painkillers for as long as I can still walk... albeit it in a twisted baby-steps kinda way, I'm always afraid that I'll do more damage to my back if I can't feel what's wrong with it

I have tried many times to go without drugs but find my body wont let me now . The amount taken also increases as your body gets used to them. A no win situation in my case. I will seize up big time without them so despite my hatred of drugs.......i have to take them.

Im a legalised junkie

bristol

"I have tried many times to go without drugs but find my body wont let me now . The amount taken also increases as your body gets used to them. A no win situation in my case. I will seize up big time without them so despite my hatred of drugs.......i have to take them.

Im a legalised junkie "

funny you should say that but radio 2 had a phone in a few weeks back about that very subject .. legalised junkies .. some of the stories were completely tragic where people are, as you say, in a Catch 22 situation now with no way out

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I don't keep painkillers in the house except in Lemsip form. I have to take some medication for specific health conditions but I keep these to a minimum and try and get the liquid form whenever possible. Now that the cat is dead I don't need the anti-histamines every day, which is a good thing as they thin bones.

When my pain levels have been very severe I do take painkillers for as short a period a time as possible. Taking them for too long creates a cycle of needing more and I am aware that I am sensitive to them.

I only take what I need to when I need them, mainly for colds, the worst was for having shingles.

Luckily, I am not often ill, and I intend to keep it that way.

What else stops people? Again bearing in mind the crap (sorry not my usual refined style lol) we have in our food? "

Plenty of crap in food these days. Hence my amusement at the uproar over horse meat.

I take pills if I need to. Don't if I don't need to.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Medication reminds you that you're ill.

A consultant Oncologist described it to me as a 'pharmacological umbelicus'. The logic is that you wake up in the morning, look at your pills and think (remember) I have cancer (or whatever).

People don't like that.

By *li87Man  over a year ago

Preston

Interesting post. I'd like to raise a couple of points. From my limited knowledge if anyone knows better please say.

1. To the people thinking that taking pain killers like cocodamol Ibrufen paracetamol asprin. This will not weaken your immune system. Your body will not be able to Handel a headache better. Unless its a direct result of a infection or virus. Even then taking said medications will not help or aid your body in producing the anti body. Ibrufen is a anti inflammatory it will stop muscles swelling not improve your immune system. Paracetamol is a pain killer, no different than putting water on a burn. By taking painkillers your just prolonging pain for no reason. Who is the weaker one? The person who struggles to do any work due to a headache and he is gonna see it out or the person who took painkillers and feels great.

2. People who won't take drugs that have been tested on animals. REALLY? REALLY? ARE YOU FOR REAL? I HOPE YOU STICK BY YOUR GUNS WHEN YOUR REALLY HURT. PLEASE TELL ME IF I EVER HAVE TO TREAT YOU. I WILL GLADLY LEAVE OUT ALL THE MEDICAL TREATMENTS FOR YOU. O AND PROCEDURES TO. BECAUSE THAT WAS ALL TESTED ON ANIMALS TO.

Sorry personal rant I respect your _iews I really do. And I feel sympathy to those who generally struggle between the dilemma of your ethics getting in the way off your health. But I can honestly say with injuries and death I seen and people who have been saved by procedures and drugs that where tested on animals I will always defend it.

I start my day off every day with thyroxine and omeprazole. Cannot function as a human without it and it will also shorten my lifespan more than I usually do lol but when it comes to colds and flu, I'd rather let my immune system combat it for a few days and then dose up to give it a superboost. Makes suffering in general much shorter (in my case)

Preston

O forgot to Add pain killers mask the pain still need to treat the cause.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

If I didn't take my mess every morning I would be in danger of a stroke.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"If I didn't take my mess every morning I would be in danger of a stroke."

*meds

Preston

"If I didn't take my mess every morning I would be in danger of a stroke.

*meds"

With a chest like that I would certainly not get bored of doing chest compressions.

» Add a new message to this topic