FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > benefits when off sick

benefits when off sick

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi, could anyone help please. My neighbour is a single parent, she works full time. She lives in a housing association house but is not entitled to housing benefit etc. She suffered a serious injury and has been off work for 6 months on full pay, next week this will be reduced to half pay. She is not ready to return to work and is obviously stressing about her financial situation.

Would she now be able to make a claim for housing benefit to help her while she is on a reduced income?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Give the HMRC a call and make them aware so they can amend any tax credit awards immediately. Then I'd suggest a trip to the CAB they'll be able to let your neighbour know exactly what they're entitled to, not sure if there's one in Ashby but there is one in Coalville, just past Marlboro Square.

she needs to speak to tax credits, then to housing benefits

i do believe while she is on reduced wage she may be able to get help. I have always worked but i remember someone saying that their daughter had to get benefit for a month or so but she had to pay it all back when she was financially sound

"Give the HMRC a call and make them aware so they can amend any tax credit awards immediately. Then I'd suggest a trip to the CAB they'll be able to let your neighbour know exactly what they're entitled to, not sure if there's one in Ashby but there is one in Coalville, just past Marlboro Square."

Yes, I've suggested this but aren't tax credits made on what you earn in a tax year so she wouldn't receive any increase until next year? Thank you for your help x

"Give the HMRC a call and make them aware so they can amend any tax credit awards immediately. Then I'd suggest a trip to the CAB they'll be able to let your neighbour know exactly what they're entitled to, not sure if there's one in Ashby but there is one in Coalville, just past Marlboro Square.

Yes, I've suggested this but aren't tax credits made on what you earn in a tax year so she wouldn't receive any increase until next year? Thank you for your help x"

You can inform them of a change in circumstances and they will amend the award for the period she's n a reduced income. X

Yes she can. You can apply at any time. however she may or may not qualify. Depending on several factors. I.e amount of rent ( which will be low as its social housing), the amount of income she has and what her household comprises of.

She should definately apply

Sam xx

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Also what was previously known as Statutory Sick Pay is now Employment Support Allowance (£71 pw). I've been off sick 10 months and after 6 my company carry on paying my salary just not the SSP so I had to get it off the Social - have to say had no probs getting it - just have to send sicknotes in to the social. Others have said CAB, that's probably the best idea - hope your friend feels better soon xxx

"Yes she can. You can apply at any time. however she may or may not qualify. Depending on several factors. I.e amount of rent ( which will be low as its social housing), the amount of income she has and what her household comprises of.

She should definately apply

Sam xx "

I told her that I think she would be entitled to housing benefit as I am, working 30 hours per week so therefore if she is bringing home less than I am whilst she is on half pay, it would make sense? I just didnt want to build her hopes up if she cant get it x

Make sure she claims straight away because they may not backdate the award either.

Sam xx

"Make sure she claims straight away because they may not backdate the award either.

Sam xx"

I will, thank you xx

"Also what was previously known as Statutory Sick Pay is now Employment Support Allowance (£71 pw). I've been off sick 10 months and after 6 my company carry on paying my salary just not the SSP so I had to get it off the Social - have to say had no probs getting it - just have to send sicknotes in to the social. Others have said CAB, that's probably the best idea - hope your friend feels better soon xxx"

Thank you xd

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Yes she will be entitled to housing benefit on a low income they will work out her income on SSP and other benefits she will be on and may pay full housing benefit or part housing benefit to cover the rent. She needs to put in a claim as soon as possible with proof of income.. She may also get WTC still along with CTC.

» Add a new message to this topic