FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Cost of Electing The Pope

The Cost of Electing The Pope

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *agna Cum Laude OP   Man  over a year ago

Laudable

I saw an article that estimated the Catholic Church will spend £10m in electing and enthroning a new Pope. Is that good value or could the money be better spent I wonder?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I am sure Simon Cowell could make a programme out of this. Ant and Dec doing the intros

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"I saw an article that estimated the Catholic Church will spend £10m in electing and enthroning a new Pope. Is that good value or could the money be better spent I wonder?"

It's their money (The Catholic Church) and up to them how they spend it....

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Would they have spent the money in any other way? There's lots I could do with £10m but it's not mine to spend.

I would change some of the electoral practices here and save us about the same in this country on our elections.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Would they have spent the money in any other way? There's lots I could do with £10m but it's not mine to spend.

I would change some of the electoral practices here and save us about the same in this country on our elections."

Have to agree with you a second time this evening

Laudable

"I saw an article that estimated the Catholic Church will spend £10m in electing and enthroning a new Pope. Is that good value or could the money be better spent I wonder?

It's their money (The Catholic Church) and up to them how they spend it...."

But did Jesus drive the money men from the temple..........and is it their money? Who is they?

John Paul 1 wanted to give it all away and he lasted 33 days!

Laudable

"Would they have spent the money in any other way? There's lots I could do with £10m but it's not mine to spend.

I would change some of the electoral practices here and save us about the same in this country on our elections.Have to agree with you a second time this evening "

Do you think that the Catholic Church has an equal ops policy? I would like to see Dianne Abott as the next Pope. If that was the case I would make my easter duties!

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

i am in no way religeous .. i have no faith however, I do respect other peoples faiths and understand that alot of people get an enormous amount of comfort from their chosen faith. It is the Catholic Churches money that is being spent on something that is important to them so I dont any issue. Our local church (evangelical) has a garden of memorial that I like to donate flowers and bulbs to to ensure that it always looks nice as lots of local people get alot of pleasure from the garden

that would pay for a lot of contraceptive education.

bristol

"that would pay for a lot of contraceptive education."

i dont follow what you mean ?

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

Wow... wouldnt Rock,Paper,Scissors be cheeper

"that would pay for a lot of contraceptive education.

i dont follow what you mean ?"

I think the poster is referring to spending the money on providing free contraception to the third world countries?

Laudable

i dont follow what you mean ?"

It would pay for a lot of condoms!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Wow... wouldnt Rock,Paper,Scissors be cheeper"

They may be doing rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock. That'll be where the extra costs come in.

bristol

i dont follow what you mean ?I think the poster is referring to spending the money on providing free contraception to the third world countries?"

as the Catholic Church is opposed to contraception, I dont understand this comment

i dont follow what you mean ?I think the poster is referring to spending the money on providing free contraception to the third world countries?

as the Catholic Church is opposed to contraception, I dont understand this comment "

No, I was not saying I follow the argument either. I was only explaining what I thought was meant. I too believe that an organisation ie the catholic church has the right to determine where its funds are spent.

Laudable

i dont follow what you mean ?I think the poster is referring to spending the money on providing free contraception to the third world countries?

as the Catholic Church is opposed to contraception, I dont understand this comment "

Irony?

"I saw an article that estimated the Catholic Church will spend £10m in electing and enthroning a new Pope. Is that good value or could the money be better spent I wonder?"

Definately.

They pop into the cistine chapel and stick their names on a bit of paper and then stick it in the fire............what the fuck does that cost.? jeez !!!!

bristol

"I saw an article that estimated the Catholic Church will spend £10m in electing and enthroning a new Pope. Is that good value or could the money be better spent I wonder?

Definately.

They pop into the cistine chapel and stick their names on a bit of paper and then stick it in the fire............what the fuck does that cost.? jeez !!!! "

the Catholic Church, and other Churches worldwide provide a huge network of support to many millions .. like it or not, they will be part of our infrastructure moving forward. I choose not to participate, but that is a choice. Lots of people relish them and find they enrich their lives in many ways .. if this is their money and they feel this is so important to them then I cant see what the problem is

Laudable

Definately.

They pop into the cistine chapel and stick their names on a bit of paper and then stick it in the fire............what the fuck does that cost.? jeez !!!!

the Catholic Church, and other Churches worldwide provide a huge network of support to many millions .. like it or not, they will be part of our infrastructure moving forward. I choose not to participate, but that is a choice. Lots of people relish them and find they enrich their lives in many ways .. if this is their money and they feel this is so important to them then I cant see what the problem is "

Good point, well made!

Definately.

the Catholic Church, and other Churches worldwide provide a huge network of support to many millions .. like it or not, they will be part of our infrastructure moving forward. I choose not to participate, but that is a choice. Lots of people relish them and find they enrich their lives in many ways .. if this is their money and they feel this is so important to them then I cant see what the problem is "

Quite agree

How the fook does it cost £10m to lock up 250 cardinals in a building they already own for a day and a half?

bristol

"How the fook does it cost £10m to lock up 250 cardinals in a building they already own for a day and a half? "

wondered where you were .. was your curry nice ??

"How the fook does it cost £10m to lock up 250 cardinals in a building they already own for a day and a half?

wondered where you were .. was your curry nice ?? "

Curry? We had fish n chips tonight. Tis Friday, them churchy peeps say we gotta eat fish on Friday, but I had 'fish' on Thursday too.

bristol

"were .. was your curry nice ??

Curry? We had fish n chips tonight. Tis Friday, them churchy peeps say we gotta eat fish on Friday, but I had 'fish' on Thursday too. "

ohhhh ya rebel !!!

so the new pope is set to be black....children all love coco-popes !!!!

Maybe this time they can elect someone who isn't a hardline fascist, member of Hitler Youth and doesn't deliberately and knowingly try to cover up child rape and abuse....? But i doubt it

I guess the pope needs 10m more than the poor.

There is rumour that the Vatican could elect it's first black pope (there are two African Cardinals up for election apparently). If this were to happen it would mean the FOUR most powerful men on Earth are non-Caucasian: President Obama, The Pope, the Leader of Islam and the Chinese Premier. I think that would be a first in world affairs.

Laudable

"How the fook does it cost £10m to lock up 250 cardinals in a building they already own for a day and a half? "
\probably because the conclave has to number 120 minimum which means travel accommodation and other costs for over 1,000 people as they (the electing cardinals) travel with their "office" These guys (and it will be mainly guys) do not travel on Ryan Air nor do they stay in a travel lodge (as they know they will be probably disturbed by a FAB meet in the next room)Then there is the ceremony which is estimated to cost £3m in vatican readiness and media alterations. I think £10 is a big underestimate!

By *tressfreeMan  over a year ago

Towcester

"How the fook does it cost £10m to lock up 250 cardinals in a building they already own for a day and a half? \probably because the conclave has to number 120 minimum which means travel accommodation and other costs for over 1,000 people as they (the electing cardinals) travel with their "office" These guys (and it will be mainly guys) do not travel on Ryan Air nor do they stay in a travel lodge (as they know they will be probably disturbed by a FAB meet in the next room)Then there is the ceremony which is estimated to cost £3m in vatican readiness and media alterations. I think £10 is a big underestimate!"
do you know I think you're right! That won't be full board....

Its blood money owed to the Italian people. Mussolini payed vast sums or money to the Catholic church to back his dictatorship

Towcester

Organised crime connected to the Catholic Church, surely not!

Laudable

"Organised crime connected to the Catholic Church, surely not! "
I did smile..........it is organised crime!

Towcester

"Organised crime connected to the Catholic Church, surely not! I did smile..........it is organised crime!"
lol....a secret organisation

Not that secret. The Guardian did a good piece last month. The church invests publicly, huge property portfolio including of none religious sites around the word.

Towcester

Not really a surprise....

Laudable

"Not that secret. The Guardian did a good piece last month. The church invests publicly, huge property portfolio including of none religious sites around the word.

"

That is correct; the church has interests in diamond mines and gas supply companies in the Ukraine. As I said earlier John Paul the first wanted to sell all the "ancillary" interests and distribute it to Catholic Charities............he lasted a month!

Towcester

The church in general have vast wealth and little disposition for sharing it. Words are cheap though, plenty of those available!

They worry about not having power. Perhaps the worry is they don't think they have enough power. Kiss my ring your Eminence

Towcester

"They worry about not having power. Perhaps the worry is they don't think they have enough power. Kiss my ring your Eminence

"

lol.....

Although I’m often guilty of raising a cursory eyebrow when I hear about the extravagant costs attached to public ceremonies and officialdom……

However as long as these monies spent are filtering down through the provision of supplies and services and ultimately back into the wages of working people helping maintain their financial security and employment, I don’t see much of a problem with it……

After all its not like the money has permanently disappeared it just ended up in the wider economy and that can’t be a bad thing … can it!

i dont follow what you mean ?I think the poster is referring to spending the money on providing free contraception to the third world countries?"

The Catholic doctrine on contraception is that it's not needed. People should only have sex with eachother within a marriage and they should stay faithful to one another.

We may disagree but it's a logical proposition.....

The Catholic doctrine on contraception is that it's not needed. People should only have sex with eachother within a marriage and they should stay faithful to one another.

We may disagree but it's a logical proposition..... "

Is this a joke post?

Towcester

We may disagree but it's a logical proposition..... "

it is logical in my view too, assuming a marriage remains good. As to contraception, I believe many modern Catholics disregard this doctrine...

We may disagree but it's a logical proposition..... it is logical in my view too, assuming a marriage remains good. As to contraception, I believe many modern Catholics disregard this doctrine..."

Yes most of us.do, but then I'm not sure about transubstantiation either, if I'm honest........

» Add a new message to this topic