FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Work experience

Work experience

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does it work ??

From a personal point of _iew , i feel some places of work take the pee when having those on work experience.

And in some cases , its no better than slavery.

I say this in the knowledge of my mates son, who was sent to spar as w/e and did a full days work , 7 days a week and all he got was £67 per week. He worked his bollocks off while other employees sat around doing sod all. And earned a dam sight more than he did.

Disgraceful. If they get training etc and have something to show for it, i dont have a problem but often its not.....just cheap labour

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ue care and attentionWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

He'd have been better on an apprenticeship at £98 per week and some include a day at college for an nvq

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Depends how long you do it for. When you're young, you're more open to volunteering. Plus it's harder to get fired within a week or two when you're not getting paid.

Best thing I can say for work experience is that it can either give you the confidence you need to make the jump from education and into work or it can warn you in advance that what you thought you wanted is not necessarily suited to you!

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

doesnt the minimum wage count ,that seems so low

pd

I do think some places of work take advantage of the w/e youth . for their own benfits

Just recently some young lady took the dwp/government to court because she was volunteering at a museum while getting job seekers and they then made her leave that and go to poundland.

The museum afforded her the experience she needed to progress in the line of work she wanted.

poundland didnt............

"doesnt the minimum wage count ,that seems so low

pd"

My neice works for some place and is the lowest paid there until she is 21. another bloody rip off. she works the same hours and as hard as all the others but gets only half the pay

why should she be paid lower and probably like many other young workers, get taken advantage of

"I do think some places of work take advantage of the w/e youth . for their own benfits

Just recently some young lady took the dwp/government to court because she was volunteering at a museum while getting job seekers and they then made her leave that and go to poundland.

The museum afforded her the experience she needed to progress in the line of work she wanted.

"

Well there's young and then there's post-uni. She doesn't need work experience as she will have not gotten through school to uni without experience. She was in fact working voluntary at a museum but the Jobcentre made her quit because it wasnt what they wanted her to do. That case was just slavery!

"I do think some places of work take advantage of the w/e youth . for their own benfits

Well there's young and then there's post-uni. She doesn't need work experience as she will have not gotten through school to uni without experience. She was in fact working voluntary at a museum but the Jobcentre made her quit because it wasnt what they wanted her to do. That case was just slavery!"

Exactly, my point.......

How many others like her are there ?

Well there's young and then there's post-uni. She doesn't need work experience as she will have not gotten through school to uni without experience. She was in fact working voluntary at a museum but the Jobcentre made her quit because it wasnt what they wanted her to do. That case was just slavery!

Exactly, my point.......

How many others like her are there ? "

By the news industry's calculations, there are close to a thousand people that were cheated out of benefits for refusing to be screwed but how many of those had voluntary work is anyone's guess. It's not rare though, voluntary work is one of the most stood my methods of getting into work these days.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

I was on it a few yrs ago .. voluntary in a very good potential position. Thing is, the company was investigated by John Snow ... and the onion of deceit was uncovered.

The programme even spoke to some ex colleagues - I had even stayed on after the trial to keep mmy CV up to date though because the director was a simple dick, I had left a month before the undercover reporter with hidden cam was hired

Goes to show how the Job centre actaully vet the companies taking advantage of this --- they seem quite used to it lol

By *hunderstarCouple  over a year ago

hereford

Funny how not many employers post here. There is a different side to the story when taking on young people.

Years ago,my friend did a yts scheme for £35 a week she did it in a store for 2 years and was promised a full time job out of it,when she was coming up to the end of the 2 years she was told she couldn't get the jo as she wasn't male and a male was taken on!

So she had worked the same as everyone else for 2 years on a rubbish wage for nothing...funny how they got another yts person when she left.

I think for some companies its a way of getting cheap labour.

I worked 2 weeks and wasn't paid any thing , at the end of the 2 weeks the boss called me in to the office and asked if I would like to come back the next week and start a full time paid job . So yes some times it can be a rip of . But some bosses use it to work out if you will fit in before you are offered the job . I have been there a year now and he's taken on an other girl in the same way as me , but he's had 2 girls that he didn't take on after there 2weeks

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

The way that people are treated on work experience is down to the management of the operation, that they are buddied up with competent people with the correct ethic and ability to share experience/learnings.

then, the individual maximises the experience, the learning and put all that into applications/inter_iews to secure a permanent role.

» Add a new message to this topic