FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Petty about the plural of you

Petty about the plural of you

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uckoldandWife OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

ok, just a gripe, nothing serious, just a pet peeve, are we wrong but is the plural of the word "you" also "you". For example, when addressing one person you say, "how are you", when addressing more than one person you might say "how are you both" or "how are you guys". Is it ever acceptable to say, "how are yous" or "are yous looking for fun" "what are yous upto"

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *averiMan  over a year ago

Swindon to bristol

yous is defr. not correct.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Can't wait for keenfucktographer to see this thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I wouldn't use it but a lot of people type how they talk. Someone I know sent me a message 'yow Dow make me loff'.....you do make me laugh

By *imply_SensualMan  over a year ago

warrington

"ok, just a gripe, nothing serious, just a pet peeve, are we wrong but is the plural of the word "you" also "you". For example, when addressing one person you say, "how are you", when addressing more than one person you might say "how are you both" or "how are you guys". Is it ever acceptable to say, "how are yous" or "are yous looking for fun" "what are yous upto" "

Its never 'yous' - there is no such word.

I tend to use ye as plural of you. I know its a colloquialism, and a pet hate for some people but you can't please everyone, right?

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

My friends Paul says yous but I think it's coz he's a Geordie.

I think you just need to put both on the end like you said x

"ok, just a gripe, nothing serious, just a pet peeve, are we wrong but is the plural of the word "you" also "you". For example, when addressing one person you say, "how are you", when addressing more than one person you might say "how are you both" or "how are you guys". Is it ever acceptable to say, "how are yous" or "are yous looking for fun" "what are yous upto"

Its never 'yous' - there is no such word."

Colloquialisms?

y'all, yas .......... there's loads

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

According to google you is singular or plural but coz its not clear of you addressing both parties then most people say 'you both' 'you all' etc x

If I message a couple I will always ask how are you both so it is clear otherwise I'm sure it will be assumed I am only addressing the woman

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

It is easier in french, You got the plural you and the single you..

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Can't say it's really bothered me.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

I just assume they are a sweaty

By *arl828Man  over a year ago

warrington, Cheshire

"I just assume they are a sweaty "

If you're refering to 'Sweaty socks' Jocks. Because 'how's you's' is said by a lot of my Scottish friends and I've used it on occasions.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"ok, just a gripe, nothing serious, just a pet peeve, are we wrong but is the plural of the word "you" also "you". For example, when addressing one person you say, "how are you", when addressing more than one person you might say "how are you both" or "how are you guys". Is it ever acceptable to say, "how are yous" or "are yous looking for fun" "what are yous upto" "

No such word as 'yous' in Standard English.

"If I message a couple I will always ask how are you both so it is clear otherwise I'm sure it will be assumed I am only addressing the woman"
or man

I am afraid that yous is perfectly acceptable in a particular part of the UK, Scotland or Ireland, not sure which but its part of their dialect

i'm scottish and i would never ever say yous... bugs the tits off me, same as people who say 'way' instead of 'with' ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

and when used together..... arrrghhhhhh

Soz, I think that there is no such word as 'yous'. In English, the plural of 'you' is 'you'. I know that language is ever-evolving, and I totally respect other languages which differentiate between you (singular) and you (plural). (tu/vous, etc)

But for me, and when chatting to Brits, I like the words "two" and "both". "How are you two?". "I hope you're both well" etc

Let's not RUSH to change our language. It will happen, I'm sure, just like "can I get a coffee?' .... NO, ffs, but you can 'have' a coffee, you can 'order' a coffee, you can 'buy' a coffee.

Oopps, sorry, is it Thursday?

"ok, just a gripe, nothing serious, just a pet peeve, are we wrong but is the plural of the word "you" also "you". For example, when addressing one person you say, "how are you", when addressing more than one person you might say "how are you both" or "how are you guys". Is it ever acceptable to say, "how are yous" or "are yous looking for fun" "what are yous upto"

No such word as 'yous' in Standard English."

No such word as 'yous' in Standard English what?

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

How are you both? ... would be the choice of mine as grammatically correct at this moment in time. Having said that languages do evolve and if a sufficient number of people started to say "yous"... eventually it would be accepted as correct...

Unless you’re from Albuquerque or the Bronx… “Yous” just sounds like you’ve been watching to many Daffy Duck cartoons….!. or your sexing sheep!

Manchester

"How are you both? ... would be the choice of mine as grammatically correct at this moment in time. Having said that languages do evolve and if a sufficient number of people started to say "yous"... eventually it would be accepted as correct... "

Ah well, we will have to get yoused to it then

Talking to a welsh couple you could say

"How are ewes!"

Yes, 'yous' is used by certain people in certain parts of Scotland. I could be a bit more specific but someone would probably jump on me from a great height!

Have to say that it really grates on me!

Talking to a welsh couple you could say

"How are ewes!"

"

i totally agree it is a common spelling error that people make on a regular basis and an instant turn off for me....i may joke about a cock having correct spelling but if someone can't make the effort to send me a proper message then will they have the effort to fuck me right....sorry for soap box...and variations of the plural of you to date include....yous, you's, use...x

By *am123Man  over a year ago

essex chelmsford

how are yous. sounds rude to me.

what are yous two doing i use tho

By *r and mrs bangerboobsCouple  over a year ago

Bridgend

Never would use 'yous' ....neither would I use 'how are you guys' unless writing to a MM couple!! x x

Ach,you're spelling it wrong!!!Up here in the cold north....furthee north...aye way up here we would say something like "Hi,how are youse doing".....saves a lot of fuss!!!!Hope that helps!!!

No such word as 'yous' in Standard English what?"

There is no what. Just Standard English. That's what it is called and what is taught the whole world over apart from the US where they are taught Standard American English.

"Soz, I think that there is no such word as 'yous'. In English, the plural of 'you' is 'you' "

But there is such a word as 'soz'?

"There is no what. Just Standard English. That's what it is called and what is taught the whole world over apart from the US where they are taught Standard American English."

As I understand it there's no definitive authority for the English language, and no such thing as 'standard English'. English isn't even the official language of England!

"There is no what. Just Standard English. That's what it is called and what is taught the whole world over apart from the US where they are taught Standard American English.

As I understand it there's no definitive authority for the English language, and no such thing as 'standard English'. English isn't even the official language of England!"

You understand wrongly, I'm afraid. According to the National Curriculum all students are taught Standard English. Look it up.

Well don't believe everything they taught you in school. Delve a little deeper and you'll see. 'Standard English' differs throughout the world, and arguably even within the UK.

By *pecifically1Woman  over a year ago

Hull

But people do...

By *pecifically1Woman  over a year ago

Hull

"I just assume they are a sweaty

If you're refering to 'Sweaty socks' Jocks. Because 'how's you's' is said by a lot of my Scottish friends and I've used it on occasions."

and some sweatys know the difference.....

Standard English depicts a snapshot of the here and now. Standard Enlgish will be quite different in 5 or 10 year's time. In much the same way that the English dictionary evolves and changes e.g. the addition of the lexicon of computer and IT related concepts.

"Well don't believe everything they taught you in school. Delve a little deeper and you'll see. 'Standard English' differs throughout the world, and arguably even within the UK."

I have been teaching Standard English for more than 20 years. So I don't have to read about it or delve deeper. I live it every single working day.

"Well don't believe everything they taught you in school. Delve a little deeper and you'll see. 'Standard English' differs throughout the world, and arguably even within the UK."
I think in terms of pronunciation for example, there is a wide deviation and variation from so called Received Pronunciation.

"Well don't believe everything they taught you in school. Delve a little deeper and you'll see. 'Standard English' differs throughout the world, and arguably even within the UK.I think in terms of pronunciation for example, there is a wide deviation and variation from so called Received Pronunciation."

RP is accent, whereas SE is a standardised dialect.

"Well don't believe everything they taught you in school. Delve a little deeper and you'll see. 'Standard English' differs throughout the world, and arguably even within the UK.I think in terms of pronunciation for example, there is a wide deviation and variation from so called Received Pronunciation.

RP is accent, whereas SE is a standardised dialect."

I am quite aware of that... was merely trying to point out that there are variations (and variations are being taught at schools whether this is meant to be the case or not) and I just used that as one example. There are countless examples of "English" variations taught across the nation including Welsh, Irish and Scottish idiosyncracies. TBH I do not reall see that as a problem ... as I said languages do evolve and the changes are (retrospectively) accepted by those who write the rules.

"How are you both? ... would be the choice of mine as grammatically correct at this moment in time. Having said that languages do evolve and if a sufficient number of people started to say "yous"... eventually it would be accepted as correct... "

Language is alive, it evolves, if a word is used enough it soon finds it's way into the Oxford Dictionary.

"How are you both? ... would be the choice of mine as grammatically correct at this moment in time. Having said that languages do evolve and if a sufficient number of people started to say "yous"... eventually it would be accepted as correct...

Language is alive, it evolves, if a word is used enough it soon finds it's way into the Oxford Dictionary. "

Language certainly does evolve and it would be all the poorer if it did not. Single words are constant being added, and conversely words fall out of use.

However, there will always be rules followed otherwise it simply becomes nonsensical babble.

Currently the rules are that 'yous' is not the plural of 'you'.

"Well don't believe everything they taught you in school. Delve a little deeper and you'll see. 'Standard English' differs throughout the world, and arguably even within the UK.

I have been teaching Standard English for more than 20 years. So I don't have to read about it or delve deeper. I live it every single working day."

In that case I apologise. Could you refer us to the definitive body or guide for the Standard English you've been teaching all that time?

"

Well don't believe everything they taught you in school. Delve a little deeper and you'll see. 'Standard English' differs throughout the world, and arguably even within the UK.

I have been teaching Standard English for more than 20 years. So I don't have to read about it or delve deeper. I live it every single working day.

In that case I apologise. Could you refer us to the definitive body or guide for the Standard English you've been teaching all that time?"

Like I said before, refer to the National Curriculum. Also mark schemes from exam boards give an idea.

Standard English grammar has been taught in schools a very long time.

"How are you both? ... would be the choice of mine as grammatically correct at this moment in time. Having said that languages do evolve and if a sufficient number of people started to say "yous"... eventually it would be accepted as correct...

Language is alive, it evolves, if a word is used enough it soon finds it's way into the Oxford Dictionary.

Language certainly does evolve and it would be all the poorer if it did not. Single words are constant being added, and conversely words fall out of use.

However, there will always be rules followed otherwise it simply becomes nonsensical babble.

Currently the rules are that 'yous' is not the plural of 'you'."

I can agree with you on that latter statement that currently it is not part of what is considered correct. But as language evolves... so do the rules.

Interestingly I attended a CPD course today where a presentation was given by two English teachers. The presentation included the following question as written on the board :

"Who would you be applying this to"

Ok I am playing devil's advocate here, the fact they used poor grammar does not mean every English teacher in the UK does....

Languages change all the time... and it will be a matter of time when "who are you talking to" will be come a correct version of English...

I should also say that 'yous' is a crap word - when I've heard it spoken it's often been in reference to an individual, so if it did make its way into a dictionary I'm not sure what the actual definition would be.

By *ighland_RoseCouple  over a year ago

Brigadoon

Oh god I can't stand it when someone says "how's yous?" It sets my teeth on edge!

"I should also say that 'yous' is a crap word - when I've heard it spoken it's often been in reference to an individual, so if it did make its way into a dictionary I'm not sure what the actual definition would be."
It may or may not make its way in there... who knows. If a sufficient number of people use it.. it will. Pretty much like the urban dictionary is constantly updated...

Oh god I can't stand it when someone says "how's yous?" It sets my teeth on edge!"

I have a few pet hates, too... including "you was" and "good and proper" when it should be"well and properly". Having said that... langauge reflects people and their communication.... thou hast no prejudice

Currently the rules are that 'yous' is not the plural of 'you'.

I can agree with you on that latter statement that currently it is not part of what is considered correct. But as language evolves... so do the rules.

Interestingly I attended a CPD course today where a presentation was given by two English teachers. The presentation included the following question as written on the board :

"Who would you be applying this to"

Ok I am playing devil's advocate here, the fact they used poor grammar does not mean every English teacher in the UK does....

Languages change all the time... and it will be a matter of time when "who are you talking to" will be come a correct version of English...

"

I agree. I become infuriated by sloppy English in training sessions, particularly from those in a position to know better.

Language does change. I have never said it didn't nor that it shouldn't. I am merely pointing out how it is now in response to the original post.

I'm from the camp of accepting rather than correcting. Just because I don't and probably will never use a word doesn't mean I want to police anyone elses use of said word.

As long as I understand them, it's acceptable language to me.

"I'm from the camp of accepting rather than correcting. Just because I don't and probably will never use a word doesn't mean I want to police anyone elses use of said word.

As long as I understand them, it's acceptable language to me. "

And this is precisely the concept of how foreign languages including English have been taught over the past few decades. We assume a "sympathetic" native speaker, ie a person who will try to understand you including your potentially inadequate pronunciation, your use of the wrong word, an incorrect synatx etc. It is all about being accepting of different styles and variations in communication. Well put, Blackspice.

I dont know, sometimes I type wrong just to be silly but when you can make out that somebody reallyu can't write english even if their lives depended on it, it can make you wonder...

"What was Ted Bundy's english and grammar like?"

"I dont know, sometimes I type wrong just to be silly but when you can make out that somebody reallyu can't write english even if their lives depended on it, it can make you wonder...

"What was Ted Bundy's english and grammar like?""

"Like I said before, refer to the National Curriculum. Also mark schemes from exam boards give an idea.

Standard English grammar has been taught in schools a very long time. "

I'm very familiar with the National Curriculum (which is not taught across the UK). I'm familiar with how English is taught in several other countries too, but I prefer not to compare academic penis lengths.

I'm not aware there is reference to a definitive body for Standard English.

The point I had meant to make in the first instance is that while we may not always like how the English language is used, it's the fact that it can be used in those ways that makes it so interesting. For a teacher to ignore that fact is a disservice to the language, and to assume that twenty years of ignorance excuses you from having an open mind seems a curious attitude for anyone responsible for teaching and inspiring children.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"

No such word as 'yous' in Standard English."

Could be two sheeps

Academic Penis Length?

I know I used to be pretty good at text sex but I didn't know size mattered that much

"Academic Penis Length?

I know I used to be pretty good at text sex but I didn't know size mattered that much"

Think its posh for "pissing contest"

Good to get it back on track

"Like I said before, refer to the National Curriculum. Also mark schemes from exam boards give an idea.

Standard English grammar has been taught in schools a very long time.

I'm very familiar with the National Curriculum (which is not taught across the UK). I'm familiar with how English is taught in several other countries too, but I prefer not to compare academic penis lengths.

I'm not aware there is reference to a definitive body for Standard English.

The point I had meant to make in the first instance is that while we may not always like how the English language is used, it's the fact that it can be used in those ways that makes it so interesting. For a teacher to ignore that fact is a disservice to the language, and to assume that twenty years of ignorance excuses you from having an open mind seems a curious attitude for anyone responsible for teaching and inspiring children."

Thank you for the judgemental insult. Based on what? The fact that twice I acknowledged the adaptation and mutability of the language. You have no real idea of my knowledge or how I teach so to call me ignorant belies your own ignorance of the matter. Standard English is taught in every single UK school which is obliged to teach the National Curriculum. That is a directive from the Department of Education. It has been so for my entire career.

Ofsted Inspectors in schools will condemn and judge any teacher who does not promote and encourage students' use if SE - and that is ANY teacher, not just English teachers.

So, check your facts before you condemn.

And I have very recent evidence of this having just been through an Ofsted just last week where one of the priorities was literacy across the curriculum.

"Academic Penis Length?

I know I used to be pretty good at text sex but I didn't know size mattered that muchThink its posh for "pissing contest""

As opposed to... erm... compensating for the size of your penis with the size of your words? hahaha

Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymystic...

Yes, my penis could be bigger hahahaha

"Academic Penis Length?

I know I used to be pretty good at text sex but I didn't know size mattered that muchThink its posh for "pissing contest"

As opposed to... erm... compensating for the size of your penis with the size of your words? hahaha "

I think yous got that about right

Now I'm off to check my facts.

Yous is used a lot with people from Glasgow, its horrible but it seems a big thing in weegie land..

Ewes, use, but not yous ....

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

Ffs I'll never get a shag on here.

The birds are bypassing my total gorgeousness,for the sake of a few yous.

Oh shit,should that be I will.

Ah forget it,yous can just give us a gammy,I'll wear a gag.

Oooooo strangely that thought has just given me a stiffy.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

" For a teacher to ignore that fact is a disservice to the language, and to assume that twenty years of ignorance excuses you from having an open mind seems a curious attitude for anyone responsible for teaching and inspiring children."

bit odd trying to make a point of opening ones eyes to language with the basis of 'yous' to be taught?

Any teacher teaching my kids (if I had em) would get a stick right in their ear!

yumsville

^^ teaching that to my kids

I speak with a scottish accent..so i like to convey that in messages...

As long as you can be understood that's kinda all that matters is it not?

And I find those who pick at peoples spelling, grammar and punctuation to be more than a little childish!

Manchester

Don't remember saying anyone using the word "yous" would be avoided

In Barnsley we don't bother with 'you' at all, just stick to thee/tha etc.

As for 'the', that word does not even exist in our vocabulary, so is just missed out with no replacement.

No such word as 'yous' in Standard English what?

There is no what. Just Standard English. That's what it is called and what is taught the whole world over apart from the US where they are taught Standard American English."

cool. i just assumed there should have been a 'there is' before no such or an 'exists' after yous. it looks like half a sentence otherwise. maybe that's just me

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"Don't remember saying anyone using the word "yous" would be avoided "

Oooooo happy days,fancy a shag.

"bit odd trying to make a point of opening ones eyes to language with the basis of 'yous' to be taught?

Any teacher teaching my kids (if I had em) would get a stick right in their ear! "

Maybe work on your anger management issues first.. and then on the having kids thing. I don't think anybody has suggested children should be taught 'yous'.

Ppossibly it's better you don't work on having children, and keep away from schools, and keep your hands away from sticks.

"Soz, I think that there is no such word as 'yous'. In English, the plural of 'you' is 'you'

But there is such a word as 'soz'? "

Oops! I've been 'outed' for accepting 'soz' as a word, while rejecting 'yous'. Sorreeee! I mean ... ahem.... sorry!

But seriously, having read through the thread, I think almost everyone is right It's great that English teachers are trying to teach 'proper' English to our youngsters. And I also think it's great that people welcome communication with other people who don't speak 100% 'proper'.

When I think of how I mangle the Greek language, it's a wonder any of my Greek friends speak to me at all!!

Happy communicating, all of yous

"Soz, I think that there is no such word as 'yous'. In English, the plural of 'you' is 'you'

But there is such a word as 'soz'?

Oops! I've been 'outed' for accepting 'soz' as a word, while rejecting 'yous'. Sorreeee! I mean ... ahem.... sorry!

But seriously, having read through the thread, I think almost everyone is right It's great that English teachers are trying to teach 'proper' English to our youngsters. And I also think it's great that people welcome communication with other people who don't speak 100% 'proper'.

When I think of how I mangle the Greek language, it's a wonder any of my Greek friends speak to me at all!!

Happy communicating, all of yous "

Brilliant

All I can say is, yous lot are right

yumsville

"bit odd trying to make a point of opening ones eyes to language with the basis of 'yous' to be taught?

Any teacher teaching my kids (if I had em) would get a stick right in their ear!

Maybe work on your anger management issues first.. and then on the having kids thing. I don't think anybody has suggested children should be taught 'yous'.

Ppossibly it's better you don't work on having children, and keep away from schools, and keep your hands away from sticks."

You understand rhetoric yes?

But 5 happy faces on your overall attitude towards people. Youre undoubtably as fun a couple as you make out

» Add a new message to this topic