FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > horse meat scandal ... another question

horse meat scandal ... another question

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

you lot are probably bored of them by now... but I think I have a slant that hasn't been asked yet on here...

Sky news asked a question that I think is fasinating....

bearing in mind we are now basically a week into this...

"have you changed your shopping habbits as a result of the scandal?"

so have you stopped buying processed meats?

or beef altogether?

or the value/everyday products which use the lower value meat for the higher end products?

have you been to your local butcher rather than a supermarket?

me... i always bought from my local butcher and had them make my burgers if i take some... or made my own spag bol from scratch

taking to my local butcher yesterday, we were talking about this and he said, he has been a lot busier, and people have been asking so many questions that it may change the way people look at meat...

and then i did something i haven't done in a while... went two doors down into the local greengrocers... so it has made me think about what i am eating just generally....

has it done the same with others

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

if anything its made me think about eating horse meat.. if i could buy it as a stand alone meat i more than likely would.

Not really as don't buy process food and have always made my own burgers/lasagne etc....support local butchers and local shops ,but like you my butchers been more busier than usual so maybe people are thinking twice.

Our shopping habits are very similar to yours Fabio but we were talking last night about this. Once in a blue moon one of us might have had a processed meal and I like the pasta - ravioli bags you can get from the supermarket. Dread to think what that contains. It's not eating horse meat that disgusts us, it's the lack of information about the quality of the meat and the many countries some of this food seems to go through before it gets to your plate.

So yes I think this is hopefully a good thing for local producers and we are very lucky where we live, that it's not too hard to buy this way.

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

It has for me. I'd always ensure my little one gets the best fresh healthy organic products, but he has started eating more of what I eat now, (healthy stuff now bk on SW) so I am very concious now of what I am buying.

Im not overly bothered about eating horse meat, it is just what state the horse has been in before the meat places.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I don't eat processed meat so nothing has changed.

But like CutenSassy I now want to eat horse meat to know what it is like. Yum.

I rarely buy my meat from super markets as its expensive for the quality of produce you receive. I order my meat on line from musclefoods.com, the chicken breasts stays the same size when I cook them as they are not inflated with water, the mince is low fat, and breaks down very easily, no gristle, and the steaks are so tender and juicy nothing gets wasted. My shopping habits changed when my mind set was changed about the way I looked. We used to buy jars and processed foods, but realised that was not good for our health, now everything is made from scratch. Even the cooking sauces, we try to make things as paleo as possible

Sainsbury's Online doesn't have a 'is your meat horsey or what' FAQ so we've just continued as normal.

Is it just me? But..... I seriously couldn't give a flying f**k if there is horse meat in my food. God knows what's in the kebab meat I eat when under the influence Haha

S x

"Is it just me? But..... I seriously couldn't give a flying f**k if there is horse meat in my food. God knows what's in the kebab meat I eat when under the influence Haha

S x "

Basically. This.

Hubby has said everything I want to say really. But growing up eating all that rubbish... Well I'd rather not know tbh lol.

By *arl828Man  over a year ago

warrington, Cheshire

"Is it just me? But..... I seriously couldn't give a flying f**k if there is horse meat in my food. God knows what's in the kebab meat I eat when under the influence Haha

S x "

HAHA love it

Newcastle and Gateshead

[Removed by poster at 14/02/13 17:08:09]

Newcastle and Gateshead

could it mean the rise of the local butcher again... i hope so

I ate it when I was abroad, no different from beef, if anything it's leaner and a fraction of the price.

"you lot are probably bored of them by now... but I think I have a slant that hasn't been asked yet on here...

Sky news asked a question that I think is fasinating....

bearing in mind we are now basically a week into this...

"have you changed your shopping habbits as a result of the scandal?"

so have you stopped buying processed meats?

or beef altogether?

or the value/everyday products which use the lower value meat for the higher end products?

have you been to your local butcher rather than a supermarket?

me... i always bought from my local butcher and had them make my burgers if i take some... or made my own spag bol from scratch

taking to my local butcher yesterday, we were talking about this and he said, he has been a lot busier, and people have been asking so many questions that it may change the way people look at meat...

and then i did something i haven't done in a while... went two doors down into the local greengrocers... so it has made me think about what i am eating just generally....

has it done the same with others"

Naayyyyy

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Cheap meat has always been a worry to me. I do buy processed meals from time to time but I am fortunate that I am fed by someone who shops in the local butchers and makes meals from scratch.

Waitrose removing their meatballs as traces of pork were found was a shock. Their response reminds me why I shop there. They are building their own meat processing plant in Yorkshire for frozen products so that they can keep a closer eye on the production.

If people do go back to cooking more and considering what they eat that's probably a good thing.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Cheap meat has always been a worry to me. I do buy processed meals from time to time but I am fortunate that I am fed by someone who shops in the local butchers and makes meals from scratch.

Waitrose removing their meatballs as traces of pork were found was a shock. Their response reminds me why I shop there. They are building their own meat processing plant in Yorkshire for frozen products so that they can keep a closer eye on the production.

If people do go back to cooking more and considering what they eat that's probably a good thing."

100% agree.. back to cooking from scratch, Its cheaper and healthier and need not take a lot of extra time. Incidentally I had an email from Waitrose(I shop there very very occasionally) explaingin just what you said about the possible contamination of a beef product in no more than 2 named batches (with dates) that I could return for a refund if I wished.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

we stopped buying meat from supermarkets about 5 yr ago, we have a very good local butcher so use them..

having said that we have cut down on red meat..

not saying we have never eaten some processed food, burgers etc but we have always made a lot of our own meals from scratch..

I cook from scratch because I enjoy cooking and only buy prime cuts because I can afford it. That's not what this is about to me.

Those that can't afford the best cuts or dislike cooking should not be a victim of criminal deception. It's that serious and that clear to me.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

This scam could have been running for years .

We've bought our food from local butchers, market and farm shops for years - they're better all round.

I've never really been anti supermarket as they're handy, but the bigger they become the more I wish they'd collapse, and I think the demise of small local shops has a huge impact.

"This scam could have been running for years ."

This HAS been going on for years. And it was probably worse, the further back you go. It is only fairly recently that the audit trail has been easier to follow. But even that can be got round by blatant lying on the paperwork. Nobody wants to be responsible for testing their incoming material, and want to be able to use a certificate of conformity from their accredited (ha!!!)supplier, who gets one from his supplier, who gets one from his.... It's the same deal with drug dealers, the more it changes hands, the more likely it is to get cut with something cheaper. Why was the FSA so shocked?

We have visited france many times.I once ordered horse meat from the menu.The waiter was surprised that a english man had ordered this.I can only say it was the best steak i have ever tasted,but i dont think it was this cut that would be going into the ready meals.more like lips ,ears ,tails or whatever.perhaps we should have food labeling with how much prime type meat is in it.The trouble is we dont really now whats in are food

The "Special stuff" has been in butchers for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-kqXTNC71c

You know what? I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a ruse to get horsemeat onto the butchers' counters in supermarkets.

For one, the beginning of the "scandal" was about horsemeat being found in beefburgers...

Who discovered that and how? I dont remember being informed if I was. Then within days they discovered it in totally non-related products.

Man, that's the quickest investigative work I've ever seen. it takes two weeks for a detective to pull his thumb out his arse in my experiences. But frozen meals could have stayed completely out of the picture, especially if it was the supermarkets themselves making sure no stone was left unturned.

Think about it. The media gets people to own up to the fact that they enjoyed the food more than ever. It starts off as a joke and then people start being honest because it's not rare to eat horse meat. It's practically the missing link between venison and beef.

European traders get investigated for quality and ethics and therefore we discover it is in fact safe and well practiced and the supermarkets get another way to cheapen the price of meat by adding another option to the shelves (getting a sweet deal out of working with the people they in fact helped to name and shame).

But Christ what next? It's a taboo subject for a reason...

Will policemen on crowd control ride camels instead? Will we race ponies at Aintree Racecourse because after all, you do not sit on your food before you eat it!

Nothing has changed, as I seldom buy processed ready meals and prefer to cook from scratch.

I buy from my local farm shop about once a year to stock up the freezer at the start of the camping season which is around Easter.

I've alway bought meet from a local butcher who sells local produce. I also get most veg from the local box scheme so I'm pretty sure I've not had horsemeat u willingly.

I was more surprised that fingus burgers actually had any meat content at all! Lol

(Above is a joke, I'm a horse owner) x

the products that the horse meat have been found in are the dregs of the food chain. Anyone who considers these products to be nutrition has maybe had their wake up call.....then again probably not

These products have exploded onto shelves in the past 10 years due to people being lazy....or saying that they dont have time to make meals from scratch

I think that local butchers in particular will do well out of this, for a while.

Until the supermarket's massive advertising and PR departments churn out their line of smeg about how sorry they are and that they just want to be our friends and help us (to spend money) and not serve us up any more cute foreign animals, just the un-cute British ones. And like an abusive partner make it sound like they've changed and are not like that anymore.

And people with their notoriously short memories will lap that shit up and be back through the rotating doors to soul destroying hell before you know it.

Still, it's a laugh isn't it?

We worm our horses and if lame can give Boot and different things .. now alot of that is poison to humans. So if eating horse there's risks to your health .

Now in school meals, what a surprise! I love the BBC logo being used for this story. Horsemeat scandal with a picture of a cow.

"Sainsbury's Online doesn't have a 'is your meat horsey or what' FAQ so we've just continued as normal. "
china has now jumped on the burger bandwagon....theyre now selling quater pandas.....

i work away so often have processed food as i only have a microwave , i feel meat is meat so no harm done but would of liked to know what i was eating

But this is about eating horse meat that may have been treated by bute. I'm not saying it isn't harmful to humans in its pure form but from what I know you would have to eat an awful lot of horsemeat to see any effects. I'm not a vet so don't know everything about it but that was how it was out to me.

make from scratch as well all meat from supermarket sorry folks horse cow pig chicken duck we need to eat dont bother me neeh

but i have not , not , not , not ,not not, not been afected by any thing in the m m m m m m m m meat xx

Newcastle and Gateshead

"But this is about eating horse meat that may have been treated by bute. I'm not saying it isn't harmful to humans in its pure form but from what I know you would have to eat an awful lot of horsemeat to see any effects. I'm not a vet so don't know everything about it but that was how it was out to me. "

thats how it started....

because they didn't know it was there was any labelling of horse, they couldn't verified if it had been treated...

and because of that the FSA had to take if off the shelves as "unsafe"

so it started off not as a fraud thing.. but as a health and saftey issue.....

I am wondering now if there is a producer is going to be brave enough and flat out see if they can serve "horse burgers" or "horse/beef mix" now... since obviously there isn't much difference taste wise... and it is cheaper to produce!

It's a wonder how supermarkets have stayed in business all these years.

It seems everyone has only ever shopped from butchers and cooked from scratch.

I don't eat processed meat at all. I either buy from a local farm/butcher or, frequently, shoot my and butcher my own.

I don't have a problem eating horse and have eaten it numerous times in France and Holland. My only objection would be that, if I were buying something labelled as beef, then it should only contain cow parts (regardless of what those parts may be!). I don't know why horse isn't eaten regularly over here anyway.

I buy from supermarket all the time and i still do.it hasent changed the way i shop.

S x "

+1

I make similar comment yesterday in the pub waiting for my burger.

S x +1

I make similar comment yesterday in the pub waiting for my burger."

I don't think that the fact there's horse meat in the food chain is the problem, I think its the fact that the public wasn't informed about it, taking away their choice to eat it or not.

If I eat a kebab, I have expect there to be Labrador or something in it...lol

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"It's a wonder how supermarkets have stayed in business all these years.

It seems everyone has only ever shopped from butchers and cooked from scratch."

All adds to their need to be seen as 'perfect' in many cases....

Just had my first shit since eating that Findus burger from Tesco's

It was good to firm but soft in places

By *asey369Woman  over a year ago

London

Did anyone else get an email from Tesco's about this issue today?

Walk in to any supermarket and pick up any product that has been processed and just take a minute to think do I really know what is in this.

All this "home made " horse burgers are making me hungry.

Off to Burger King for some real meat burgers.

"Did anyone else get an email from Tesco's about this issue today?"

I got one too.

By *ethany10Couple  over a year ago

falkirk

Never buy processed or frozen food so don't feel affected.

Steve

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I very rarely buy processed food and when I do it tends to be a dessert when I have not the time to make one so arguably this does not affect me.

It does bring my blood to boiling point though to think how the customers continue to be deceived......

I found a horseshoe in my lasagne, is that good luck?

i used to buy all sorts of ready meals ,till i got into cooking from fresh , but at no time when i was i thinking of what meat was in mt 5meals for 4quid, like a previous mailer said when you had a few you eat a donner kebab seriously that could be anything, but you still eat it , which makes some of the people who have been interviewd on tv screaming there disgust about eating horsemeat,and the only five a day they have had is the lettuce in there big mac!!

By *nnebellWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

I pass my pork, beef and lamb as i drive to work, I buy from a farmers market and direct from the farm its reared on. I know how far my meat has travelled from going to slaughter to ending up in my freezer, less than 60 miles. This is how it used to be before supermarkets and the EU got involved.

Money grabing supermarkets and EU rules have caused so many problems from foot and mouth invading a whole country and now beef mince turning out to actually being horse and pony meat.

Eat less meat but have the quality and the taste and know where its from.....

During the war horsemeat was passed off as beef. I'm waiting for the donkey story to emerge.

By *awkeye and HotlipsCouple  over a year ago

Takeley

We want our food cheaper and cheaper these days. The supermarkets drive to line their shareholders pockets at the expense of the consumer. Yet we blithely shop, because it's convenient. We feel cheated, because we have been deceived by the labelling. Have any of us eaten horsemeat from the affected products, extremely unlikely. If we were offered horse meat correctly labelled, that was cheaper than beef, would the consumer buy it? Probably. The bigger issue is that for many young families and young people, they do not know how to prepare food from raw ingredients. They think food comes in packets and that you microwave everything. your butcher, greengrocer, our high street is how it is because of the choices we have all made!

"We want our food cheaper and cheaper these days. The supermarkets drive to line their shareholders pockets at the expense of the consumer. Yet we blithely shop, because it's convenient. We feel cheated, because we have been deceived by the labelling. Have any of us eaten horsemeat from the affected products, extremely unlikely. If we were offered horse meat correctly labelled, that was cheaper than beef, would the consumer buy it? Probably. The bigger issue is that for many young families and young people, they do not know how to prepare food from raw ingredients. They think food comes in packets and that you microwave everything. your butcher, greengrocer, our high street is how it is because of the choices we have all made!"

I would disagree though about how its the choices we have all made,this and everything else is forced upon us!!!! Did we ever ask for the big supermarkets to come along and destroy the high streets?

S x +1

I make similar comment yesterday in the pub waiting for my burger."

Would you give a flying f,,,,k if it had dog,cat or rat etc ? LOL

"We want our food cheaper and cheaper these days. The supermarkets drive to line their shareholders pockets at the expense of the consumer. Yet we blithely shop, because it's convenient. We feel cheated, because we have been deceived by the labelling. Have any of us eaten horsemeat from the affected products, extremely unlikely. If we were offered horse meat correctly labelled, that was cheaper than beef, would the consumer buy it? Probably. The bigger issue is that for many young families and young people, they do not know how to prepare food from raw ingredients. They think food comes in packets and that you microwave everything. your butcher, greengrocer, our high street is how it is because of the choices we have all made!

I would disagree though about how its the choices we have all made,this and everything else is forced upon us!!!! Did we ever ask for the big supermarkets to come along and destroy the high streets? "

That's not exactly what happened. Supermarkets were much smaller, more the size of the 'local', 'express' and convenience model. We, the shopper, started using them more and more and that increase in demand expanded range and the need for space. The advent of the out of town, drive model fell in with this need for more space and we flocked to these shops. I remember the day Asda opened a big store on the Isle of Dogs and it was considered almost as a day-out type treat. It took a little while for it to attract the level of business it needed as the area had not yet had the development that is there now. I learnt to drive in that car park as most of us didn't drive to get our shopping.

We become complacent and then accept what is offered up to us but we encouraged the current state of affairs.

By *adyH and GrissomCouple  over a year ago

Llantarnum

One good thing to come out of this - local butchers have reported that they've never been busier as people have started to realise that they sell much more reliable produce

This is being discussed on The Sunday Politics and it's a little sad to see that we are now at the point where we're too cynical and don't really care anymore. It has not been the political story it could have been.

"This is being discussed on The Sunday Politics and it's a little sad to see that we are now at the point where we're too cynical and don't really care anymore. It has not been the political story it could have been."

» Add a new message to this topic