FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Derek is not funny

Derek is not funny

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I like Ricky but Derek just isn't funny.. Carl doesn't need this...

Comments?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Only saw the pre_iews and that was enough to put me off.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Only saw the pre_iews and that was enough to put me off."

that was enough for me too

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

watched a couple o episodes andreally dont get it

mmm, I am chortling away at the black humour

I like it

I must have a wierd sence of humor

"I like Ricky but Derek just isn't funny.. Carl doesn't need this...

Comments? "

Carl as in Karl Pilkington? What's he done?

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

there is a sensitivity to it I like but I haven't watched more than about 20 mins so not really valid

Comments? "

in what way do you mean he dont need it?

Almost had to watch it, phew what a lucky escape!

Work in care don't like it

i like it ...but then again my sense of humour is a bit warped

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Sorry.. Karl.. He's too funny without supporting this effort...

Just my opinion tho and your all entitled to yours. Wasn't trying to kick off lol..

It is funny in parts but the real message in it is quite sad on the way society can deal with old people and mentally retarded ,its quite a sad programme really.

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 22:35:43]

Can't stand it. Such a silly show!

"It is funny in parts but the real message in it is quite sad on the way society can deal with old people and mentally retarded ,its quite a sad programme really."

Like using the word retarded you mean

"It is funny in parts but the real message in it is quite sad on the way society can deal with old people and mentally retarded ,its quite a sad programme really.

Like using the word retarded you mean "

"It is funny in parts but the real message in it is quite sad on the way society can deal with old people and mentally retarded ,its quite a sad programme really.

Like using the word retarded you mean "

I didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone,and if i did im sorry not a pc term but it is a medical term so i apologise.

"I didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone,and if i did im sorry not a pc term but it is a medical term so i apologise."

I think it's a term no longer used I know myself some of the words used in the past are no longer pc. I work I'm the learning dissabilitys field and to be honest what's pc today is offensive tomorrow so don't worry.

"I didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone,and if i did im sorry not a pc term but it is a medical term so i apologise."

I don't see how it was offensive. It's just a term. Some people are too frickin sensitive.

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 23:06:28]

"I didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone,and if i did im sorry not a pc term but it is a medical term so i apologise.

I don't see how it was offensive. It's just a term. Some people are too frickin sensitive."

By *am123Man  over a year ago

essex chelmsford

"I didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone,and if i did im sorry not a pc term but it is a medical term so i apologise.

I don't see how it was offensive. It's just a term. Some people are too frickin sensitive."

some people would find offense or some problem in a mirror and an empty room

Don't think I'm frickin sensitive at all and I did mention to the person who said it that pc terms do change but come on Mong,spaz and phlyd where all ok a few years back so they ok now? And where retarded is a medical term most people shorten it to retard which is offensive

I like Derek, it is funny and I feel its tackled in a sensitive way.

I don't see how it was offensive. It's just a term. Some people are too frickin sensitive. some people would find offense or some problem in a mirror and an empty room "

For personal reasons I find the word retarded very very offensive, and if that makes me 'too sensitive' I couldn't give a fuck

I don't see how it was offensive. It's just a term. Some people are too frickin sensitive.

Don't think I'm frickin sensitive at all and I did mention to the person who said it that pc terms do change but come on Mong,spaz and phlyd where all ok a few years back so they ok now? And where retarded is a medical term most people shorten it to retard which is offensive "

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 23:08:45]

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I like Derek, it is funny and I feel its tackled in a sensitive way. "

the very bit I saw, I thought exactly that.

"I like Derek, it is funny and I feel its tackled in a sensitive way.

the very bit I saw, I thought exactly that. "

i just think its funny

I liked it, i thought he was showing a side that some people very rarely see unless they work within the environment.

Well written and done with humour and sensitivity

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

You'll find that a lot on these forums, it's not insensitivity, it's people trying to take a moral stance in the hope it will get them laid.

I and many others of my generation still call a spastic a spastic. It was the word used in our day and just because some jobswallah has decided they want to call them 'handicapped' or 'physically challenged' instead, doesn't mean I have to change my wording because its not 'POLITICALLY' correct. What the fook politics has got to do with it God only knows, but I won't have my language or how i use it, dictated by anybody!"

perhaps your stance on how you use language may be different if you actually had a disabled child or family member for whom such a term would be very upsetting...?

just a thought..

You'll find that a lot on these forums, it's not insensitivity, it's people trying to take a moral stance in the hope it will get them laid.

I and many others of my generation still call a spastic a spastic. It was the word used in our day and just because some jobswallah has decided they want to call them 'handicapped' or 'physically challenged' instead, doesn't mean I have to change my wording because its not 'POLITICALLY' correct. What the fook politics has got to do with it God only knows, but I won't have my language or how i use it, dictated by anybody!

perhaps your stance on how you use language may be different if you actually had a disabled child or family member for whom such a term would be very upsetting...?

just a thought..

"

Don't think I'm frickin sensitive at all and I did mention to the person who said it that pc terms do change but come on Mong,spaz and phlyd where all ok a few years back so they ok now? And where retarded is a medical term most people shorten it to retard which is offensive "

Actually retard just means backwards its used in the car industry ie advance and retard the ignition, its the context its used in which makes it offensive not the word itself

Ignorance comes in many forms , unfortunately

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I have a special son . We won't be watching Derek. Just don't like the image gervais has chosen for his character. Maybe the content may be amusing or thought provoking. On a happier note he is going on his second date ever tomorrow . He is 28

"I have a special son . We won't be watching Derek. Just don't like the image gervais has chosen for his character. Maybe the content may be amusing or thought provoking. On a happier note he is going on his second date ever tomorrow . He is 28 "

Wish him luck for his date. well done him

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I have a special son . We won't be watching Derek. Just don't like the image gervais has chosen for his character. Maybe the content may be amusing or thought provoking. On a happier note he is going on his second date ever tomorrow . He is 28 "

I hope he has a blast..

"I have a special son . We won't be watching Derek. Just don't like the image gervais has chosen for his character. Maybe the content may be amusing or thought provoking. On a happier note he is going on his second date ever tomorrow . He is 28

I hope he has a blast.. "

Gravesend

Love you guys

I and many others of my generation still call a spastic a spastic. It was the word used in our day and just because some jobswallah has decided they want to call them 'handicapped' or 'physically challenged' instead, doesn't mean I have to change my wording because its not 'POLITICALLY' correct. What the fook politics has got to do with it God only knows, but I won't have my language or how i use it, dictated by anybody!

Hope this is addressed to the two posts above.

To the first I'm not being sensitive in the hope of getting laid. I happen to find something's offensive and this is one of them.

To the second I was bought up using the same terms also called gays bum bandits and poofs and as for what we called coloured people !!!!!! You think that's still ok ?

just a thought..

"

good luck to him hope he enjoys it

Fantastic day for a date. x

It would be a great show without Gervais playing the part he does. Get a better actor with a bit of depth, who could still get the humour across and it would work much better. Karl Pilkington is brilliant though.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I liked it, i thought he was showing a side that some people very rarely see unless they work within the environment.

Well written and done with humour and sensitivity "

I concur Peaches.

Don't think I'm frickin sensitive at all and I did mention to the person who said it that pc terms do change but come on Mong,spaz and phlyd where all ok a few years back so they ok now? And where retarded is a medical term most people shorten it to retard which is offensive

Actually retard just means backwards its used in the car industry ie advance and retard the ignition, its the context its used in which makes it offensive not the word itself "

Accept what you say about car industry but what came first the ignition or the person ?

By *rtemisiaWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

Comments? "

I watched Derek once and it doesn't seem to know whether it is a comedy or a drama - and so fails at both. Love their other stuff but Derek is pants.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I found it to be refreshingly different from the usual Miranda/Mrs Brown tosh, and quite funny in a gentle and subtle way.

By *veragejackMan  over a year ago

Brentwood

"I like Derek, it is funny and I feel its tackled in a sensitive way.

the very bit I saw, I thought exactly that.

i just think its funny "

Me too!

Ricky and karl both suck anyways.

Karl just moans all the time and Ricky 's just annoying

"Ricky and karl both suck anyways.

Karl just moans all the time and Ricky 's just annoying"

Well said

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's a hit for me.

Pearls before swine.

essex chelmsford

it is funny at times i like it

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

The so called comedian in it is a man I really can't watch and the trailers for this didn't make me want to watch it either.

I'm not a fan of Gervais, however I do enjoy Derek.

I think people are making the mistake of expecting it to be a "roll on the floor" comedy.

The ending of each episode is touching and thought provoking.

I work in the NHS seeing all aspects of it and the humour is more the type that we have at work.

Also there are a lot of valid comments regarding the care system and NHS.

I loved the way Karl ripped into that vulture of a daughter last episode, yes we do get those types. R

XX

essex chelmsford

"I'm not a fan of Gervais, however I do enjoy Derek.

I think people are making the mistake of expecting it to be a "roll on the floor" comedy.

I work in the NHS seeing all aspects of it and the humour is more the type that we have at work.

I loved the way Karl ripped into that vulture of a daughter last episode, yes we do get those types. R

XX"

I thought he was quite brave doing this programme.

There are still many many people in this world who dont like to see those challenged in life , being portayed anywhere, let alone tv.

He also knew he would get stick for it. When working "in the field" you see alot of humour and its nice to see it shown, subtle or otherwise

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

XX"

To be honest it's the first and only thing I have enjoyed watching Gervais in, I watched it on a recommendation and was not dissapointed.

XX"

I had a tear in my eye when Joan died.

Gravesend

special son mentioned earlier on this thread has got a second date yay

"special son mentioned earlier on this thread has got a second date yay "

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Your post was lovely in the middle of this thread

XX

I had a tear in my eye when Joan died. "

The closing credits of the episode before last where it showed the old folk when they were young made me clear my throat too.

Then I thought am I feeling sad for them or for me. R

XX

Gravesend

first ever second date yay

Nice one mate! R

By *nebig1ivorMan  over a year ago

Reading

The program is thought provoking with light hearted moments interspersed with serious stuff. The way he portrays peoples attitudes to 'special people' and the elderly is spot on.

In my _iew it is the best stuff he has done, quite humbling really.

I love it, the emotion laced with humour is a good combo.

By *wingtusMan  over a year ago

wakefield

Watched last night found It to have thought provoking moments about how people look at old age and last nights (épisode 2),had à,teenage girl with a typical youth attitude for todays society and why some teenagers have or never receive costructive and strong interaction with there peers

I put It in thé black comedy catagory

I watched my first episode the other night, it was ok a little smaltzy but ok.

As for Karl Pilkington thing, it's a big act. He was a respected radio producer before he hooked up with Gervais. I have a feeling the whole Idiot Abroad thing is a character created by the real Karl Pilkington and Gervais

By *ayman2002Man  over a year ago

Peterborough

I can understand why people don't like it but it is genius. Dark and emotional, not his usual 'in your face' style. But very well written. Black comedy making a comeback

"I can understand why people don't like it but it is genius. Dark and emotional, not his usual 'in your face' style. But very well written. Black comedy making a comeback "
To be perfectly honest, i really think its very well done, i do however think people will choose to take offense at the wind if it changed and they didn't like it. I like Ricky, hes an intelligent writer, maybe this programme just goes over some peoples heads?

By *icked kittyCouple  over a year ago

Uttoxeter

"I can understand why people don't like it but it is genius. Dark and emotional, not his usual 'in your face' style. But very well written. Black comedy making a comeback "
I can't agree more ,the character is so well observed each episode makes me smile and hold back genuine tears of sad memories and poinient emotion.The reality of the caring environment is there well done Ricky

By *icked kittyCouple  over a year ago

Uttoxeter

"It's a hit for me.

Pearls before swine. "

I find it quite moving. I don't find it insensitive nor to be mocking anyone.I had a tear in my on Wednesday watching it. Is it meant to be rolling on the floor laugh out loud funny? No of course not.

» Add a new message to this topic