FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ringing in sick

Ringing in sick

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aravancouple OP   Man  over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

Does anyone else find Ringing in sick the most awkward and embarrassing phone call.

I just don't like the thought of them thinking I'm faking illness and doing 'sick voice.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"Does anyone else find Ringing in sick the most awkward and embarrassing phone call.

I just don't like the thought of them thinking I'm faking illness and doing 'sick voice. "

Yes I have been known to go in when I have been rough as to be told to go home..

By *imply_SensualMan  over a year ago

warrington

I took a call today from the wife of someone telling me their husband was off sick. It annoyed me a bit because from what she said, he wasn't that ill that he couldn't talk on the phone.

I found that worse because the person, unless incapacitated, should always phone themselves. To make it worse, I got an e-mail from him an hour later.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

When i was sick i still went in. Then got taken home lol

Its like i had to prove to them i was really ill!

I've also gone into work sick, stayed till they have found a replacement then got sent home.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

we have to ring in personally unless there is a good reason that we can't e.g. laryngitis or death. If someone rings on your behalf the line manager always insists that the ill person comes to the phone.

I have no problem with that or with ringing itself I only ever take sick time if I genuinely need it.

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

sick excuse.. fone up and tell them someone has died - then you get an extra day off for the funeral..

Im the same, hate phoning in sick even though I am. I value my job, and if I am not there, it means others have to work harder. Therefore I will only phone in sick when I am genuinely sick.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Does anyone else find Ringing in sick the most awkward and embarrassing phone call.

I just don't like the thought of them thinking I'm faking illness and doing 'sick voice. "

I know what you mean.. I am going to have to make that call tomorrow... but sometimes your body just tells you "no mas"

in my defence they know i have been struggling with it all week and i have been on borrowed time, I looked like death warmed up on tuesday......

but you still feel guilty, and you feel like you are letting people down..

I see no reason why people can't come to the phone themselves. I live by myself and therefore don't have someone to call in for me. But apart from a broken bone and pre planned operations it's a rarity for me to be off sick, I think 2 days in 4 years.

Went to work feeling really ill.

Didnt want to let them down and have them think i was swinging the lead.

Collapsed at 11.30 and rushed blue n twos to hospital with heart attack.

Following week was docked wages from 11.30 that day and all the next day as I was not on site.

4 months later had second heart attack at 2.30am Friday.

Wages docked as I didnt give them 24 hrs notice and so couldnt take a days holiday for the Friday.

Would I feel guilty now, would I fuck.

1 Sneeze and its a sick note and bollocks to em.

"Went to work feeling really ill.

Didnt want to let them down and have them think i was swinging the lead.

Collapsed at 11.30 and rushed blue n twos to hospital with heart attack.

Following week was docked wages from 11.30 that day and all the next day as I was not on site.

4 months later had second heart attack at 2.30am Friday.

Wages docked as I didnt give them 24 hrs notice and so couldnt take a days holiday for the Friday.

Would I feel guilty now, would I fuck.

1 Sneeze and its a sick note and bollocks to em.

"

Ermmmm I don't think I want to shag you... I would be afraid you would have a heart attack mid session..

I aint that bad

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Get your mum to call and say you have tummy ache.

"I aint that bad "

I am sure you are not.... I am just teasing...

Newcastle and Gateshead

as a sidenote...

if anyone would like to come round and look after me.... i'll pay ya back in TLC!!!!

"I aint that bad

I am sure you are not.... I am just teasing... "

I gathered, but dont guilty about being sick.

Your boss is not your friend as I found out, and he only loves you while your his slave.

"I aint that bad

Your boss is not your friend as I found out, and he only loves you while your his slave."

I found that out a few weeks back when I received a text saying coming back tomorrow (I had a holiday booked) as you won't lose anymore money and from a business point of _iew there are a few clients wanting answers and they won't be happy to wait until Wednesday... Hmmm learn how to do my job then...

Yes I do but find it a whole lot easier with the second job because if I am not at the day job I cannot do the second one

"as a sidenote...

if anyone would like to come round and look after me.... i'll pay ya back in TLC!!!! "

Nursey coming right up

By *heplayerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I set my alarm an the minute it goes off I phone because my voice probably sounds tired I always get the you sound terrible reaction !

The runs always keeps the conversation brief as nobody likes to discuss it

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I used up all my sick days, so I am going to phone in dead

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I aint that bad

Your boss is not your friend as I found out, and he only loves you while your his slave.

I found that out a few weeks back when I received a text saying coming back tomorrow (I had a holiday booked) as you won't lose anymore money and from a business point of _iew there are a few clients wanting answers and they won't be happy to wait until Wednesday... Hmmm learn how to do my job then..."

why would you lose money if you hd a holiday booked?

"I aint that bad

I found that out a few weeks back when I received a text saying coming back tomorrow (I had a holiday booked) as you won't lose anymore money and from a business point of _iew there are a few clients wanting answers and they won't be happy to wait until Wednesday... Hmmm learn how to do my job then...

why would you lose money if you hd a holiday booked?"

She was trying to be funny with me... She swapped my holiday to one of my sick days so id only lose three days... Then I got called into a meeting to say I wasn't working hard enough (one of the reasons I was off sick was due to exhaustion) and I need to pick my game up... She has all the other staff cc'ing her into my emails to make sure they get done... A few of the reasons I hate my job and am job hunting... Oh and sorry for the rant

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I aint that bad

She was trying to be funny with me... She swapped my holiday to one of my sick days so id only lose three days... Then I got called into a meeting to say I wasn't working hard enough (one of the reasons I was off sick was due to exhaustion) and I need to pick my game up... She has all the other staff cc'ing her into my emails to make sure they get done... A few of the reasons I hate my job and am job hunting... Oh and sorry for the rant "

if you have been siged off sick yo should get statutory sick pay (not much i will grant you!) so you wont lose as much money. You might also ind it is agains employment law to harass someone who is signed off sick to go back into work. If they dont sow any sign of supporting yo bac into work ater being siged off with a work related illness yo can take them to tribunal as well.

"I aint that bad

She was trying to be funny with me... She swapped my holiday to one of my sick days so id only lose three days... Then I got called into a meeting to say I wasn't working hard enough (one of the reasons I was off sick was due to exhaustion) and I need to pick my game up... She has all the other staff cc'ing her into my emails to make sure they get done... A few of the reasons I hate my job and am job hunting... Oh and sorry for the rant

if you have been siged off sick yo should get statutory sick pay (not much i will grant you!) so you wont lose as much money. You might also ind it is agains employment law to harass someone who is signed off sick to go back into work. If they dont sow any sign of supporting yo bac into work ater being siged off with a work related illness yo can take them to tribunal as well."

I would have lost more money on statutory sick than swapping my holiday. They are supporting me- well they say they are by hiring me an apprentice- of whom I have to write a training manual for, sit an exam before April and do a report for the tax office- all on top of my normal workload - asked how to be told at home

By *pecifically1Woman  over a year ago

Hull

I am in a fortunate position that I can work from home..so even if I am feeling off colour I still go to work albeit in my home office...

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

My best mate has her own business and recently ripped into one of her staff for always coming in even when at deaths door. My mate is long term diabetic and doesn't handle infections well, she's still trying to get rid of a chest infection that developed from a cold she caught from this staff member before Christmas!

People who struggle in no matter what just prolong their own illness and also share it with everyone else.

I work for my sister so always end up going in while still sick and continue woking while sick and then getting so bad I end up in hospital!!!! Great fun!!

Employee: Sorry, I'm too sick to come into work today.

Employer: Sick?..you dont sound very sick to me!

Employee: No, really, I am sick, i cant make it today sorry.

Employer: You cant come into work today because your sick? Just exactly how sick are you?

Employee: I'm in bed with my sister!

------

The above is a joke. It is in no way meant to promote, encourage or in any other way imply that incestuous relationships are OK.

----

On a more serious note, I found that employers would become suspicious after the majority of employees rang up saying 'I've got the shits/runs/trots/squits/dodgy guts etc, so I used to always say I was constipated. Yes, full of shit!..just like my excuse for not going to work..lol

Newcastle and Gateshead

"My best mate has her own business and recently ripped into one of her staff for always coming in even when at deaths door. My mate is long term diabetic and doesn't handle infections well, she's still trying to get rid of a chest infection that developed from a cold she caught from this staff member before Christmas!

People who struggle in no matter what just prolong their own illness and also share it with everyone else. "

I know exactly how your friend feels... I have a medical condition which means I have a low white blood cell count, upshot being my immune system doesn't work as well as everyone else..

in the old place I use to work we had a collegue who use to come in, friend, but when you get the nickname "patient zero" because you end up infecting everyone else at work, sometimes you do more harm by going in than if you had taken the time off...

the one thing i have learnt is that you cant always be a hero, and listen to what your body is telling you... sometimes it is saying... stop!!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I hate it when I hear the "sick" voice. I'd rather have someone just tell me that they are ill, what is wrong with them and give me their best guess of when they will be back. If someone is genuinely ill I know. If I find out they have lied to me then I make sure they know how disappointed I am in them and that I expect them to make it up to their colleagues.

I don't want their germs as my immune system can't always handle sick people. If I have a lupus flare I know I have to stop or I will be bed-ridden for days or weeks.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

In a previous job our CEO cam in with confirmed (and still infectious) swine flu as he thought he was being a hero. He nearly passed out on his way in. While I felt sorry for him I made it clear that if he stayed I would not. As soon as I had said this, several colleagues followed suit and told him they would leave.

He went home and did not come back for 3 weeks.

When he returned he did not speak to me for some time.

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 23:28:23]

"In a previous job our CEO cam in with confirmed (and still infectious) swine flu as he thought he was being a hero. He nearly passed out on his way in. While I felt sorry for him I made it clear that if he stayed I would not. As soon as I had said this, several colleagues followed suit and told him they would leave.

When he returned he did not speak to me for some time."

Then your CEO was in breach of his care of duty responsibility. Every employeee and employer has a care of duty to fellow members and you can rightly quote this care of duty when calling in if your boss disputes your illness or its authenticity. If any person goes into a workplace with a knowingly contageous or infectious illness, they can be cautioned and even dismissed as neglecting to fulfill their care of duty to fellow colleagues is classed as misconduct

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I love the sick voice.... Especially when not throat or cold related...

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

And calling in from T in the Park as they announce the first act....

"In a previous job our CEO cam in with confirmed (and still infectious) swine flu as he thought he was being a hero. He nearly passed out on his way in. While I felt sorry for him I made it clear that if he stayed I would not. As soon as I had said this, several colleagues followed suit and told him they would leave.

When he returned he did not speak to me for some time."

the swine!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I love the sick voice.... Especially when not throat or cold related...

"

y cough cough, whispery broken croak "I'm really sorry but I don't think I should come in today. It's probably only a 24 hour thing but I wouldn't want to risk passing it on." That one?

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I love the sick voice.... Especially when not throat or cold related...

y cough cough, whispery broken croak "I'm really sorry but I don't think I should come in today. It's probably only a 24 hour thing but I wouldn't want to risk passing it on." That one?"

Yup that's the one, often followed by sunburn

Oh no there's nothing better than explaining that you're puking out of both ends and can't get off the toilet...

(splash) hahahah sorry

No not at all the place I work at has just got a company to deal with the sickness, you ting up this medical centre and tell then anything. Due to talking to strangers everyone in work finds it very easy to lie to them

As a manager, it fide make me laugh when someone phoned in with their best sick voice to say they had hurt their leg or something!

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I used to: not any more! I felt rough, my young kids were rough, but I went in as I had a meeting at the Cabinet Office with my boss.

My boss didn't turn up, we had to cancel the meeting...because his DOG was sick!!!

I'm seldom of sick, I can work from home, but if I'm sick I have absolutely no qualms phoning in sick.

» Add a new message to this topic