FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > horse meat

horse meat

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ctavius Stunt OP   Man  over a year ago

london

Arent people focusing on the wrong problem here ? I may be wrong but the issue seems to be that people object to an ingredient such as horse being in a beef lasagne. I get the point about profits and eating something i am not aware i am eating etc.

However does anyone read the ingredients in these cheap budget ready meals ? There are lots of thing in them that shouldnt be. Lots of poisonous, toxic,addictive and very unhealthy additives that have serious implications for someones health if eaten on a regular basis.

I seriously doubt eating a bit of horse, although unpleasant and distasteful to some isnt going to kill them. Lots of the other additives will though and successive govts have been pressured to get the food industry to change this and its behaviour. No political party has forced them to change tho, which probably has something to do with the donations global food corps give to the respective partys. Isnt this all a bit hypocritical ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

It's not the fact that its horse meat, it's that it is labelled as beef.

I've eaten horse abroad and no probs, but you should get what you pay for.

Also, ok I guess it's highky ulikely but say a person was allergic to horse meat and had bought what they thought was beef.

I have an answer to this, cook from scratch and buy from a reputable butcher

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You are probably right the horse meat is probably the safest thing in some of them.

london

"You are probably right the horse meat is probably the safest thing in some of them. "

Thanks thats exactly the point i was trying to make.

london

"It's not the fact that its horse meat, it's that it is labelled as beef.

I've eaten horse abroad and no probs, but you should get what you pay for.

Also, ok I guess it's highky ulikely but say a person was allergic to horse meat and had bought what they thought was beef.

I have an answer to this, cook from scratch and buy from a reputable butcher"

Thanks, the point i was making is why are the media and politicians making such a huge deal about horse. These meals are chock a block full of added saturated fats, sugar , salt and any number of toxic, carcinogenic E numbers and additives.

For me it just highlights political hypocrisy and shows that politicians from all sides are bought off by the money major food producers donate to them each year.

I kinda just wish govt would do what its meant to and represent the interests of the people and not global corporations.

Any butcher can tell what animal meat comes from just by looking at it. Many are culpable.

Start your own campaign and boycott any form of processed food

I'll have a Hello Bud washed down with a Red Rum please

Is horse cheaper than beef?

Some of us do have to read what ingredients are in our foods before we buy them, the big problem is what is not declared on the ingredient label. Another big issue is if you do complain about a product you get the usual reply "Quality control blah blah blah" it is clear it does not exist where profits are concerned

london

"Is horse cheaper than beef?

Some of us do have to read what ingredients are in our foods before we buy them, the big problem is what is not declared on the ingredient label. Another big issue is if you do complain about a product you get the usual reply "Quality control blah blah blah" it is clear it does not exist where profits are concerned"

Horse is cheaper than beef. And fat, salt, sugar, e numbers, toxic chemical additives are also cheaper. putting horse in probably made them healthier meals. The point is govt hypocrisy.

I love horses...they're yummy!!

By *ttentive_DickMan  over a year ago

London

"Any butcher can tell what animal meat comes from just by looking at it. Many are culpable.

Start your own campaign and boycott any form of processed food"

Im totally wit u fella

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

I read this morning that preliminary tests are indicating that the 'horse meat' is possibly donkey!

We aren't even getting proper fucking horse!!!! GAH!

Quote"Horse is cheaper than beef. And fat, salt, sugar, e numbers, toxic chemical additives are also cheaper. putting horse in probably made them healthier meals. The point is govt hypocrisy." Does not say much for the food standards agency does it and how long has this been going on before being noticed.

Do people really know what they are eating????

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

Apart from the labelling issue the problem is horses are treated for some ailments that is toxic to humans and this meat has not (obviously) been tested for the drug. Horse meat for human consumption has to be proved to clear of this drug.

Personally having eaten horse I don't have a problem with it but if something is labelled as beef then it should be beef and the meat what ever it is should be proven safe to eat.

derby

"Any butcher can tell what animal meat comes from just by looking at it."

Really, even if its minced!

london

"Apart from the labelling issue the problem is horses are treated for some ailments that is toxic to humans and this meat has not (obviously) been tested for the drug. Horse meat for human consumption has to be proved to clear of this drug.

Personally having eaten horse I don't have a problem with it but if something is labelled as beef then it should be beef and the meat what ever it is should be proven safe to eat. "

All these points have been made numerous times before. The point i am making is that govt and the media have suddenly sprung into life over a relatively healthy ingredient being discovered in a value meal. Funny how they dont spring into life over the poisons and toxic additives found in the very same meals.

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 14:17:03]

By *yronMan  over a year ago

grangemouth

I have one of those lasagnes, gave me the trots!

well shergar said they,d never findus , but i,m guessin they did all part of a stable diet lol

I think we are doing ok these days compared to the victorian days lol

Food scares

During the 19th century, much of the food consumed by the working classes was contaminated by chemicals or fouled by animal and human excrement. By the 1840s, the practice of home-baking bread had died out among the rural poor while in the small tenements of the urban masses, which had no ovens, it had never existed. Victorian food contained several poisonous additives, some of the most alarming include:

- Strychnine in rum and beer

- Sulphate of copper in pickles, bottled fruit, wine and preserves

- Lead chromate in mustard and snuff

- Sulphate of iron in tea and beer

- Copper carbonate, lead sulphate, bisulphate of mercury and Venetian lead in sugar confectionery and chocolate

- Lead in wine and cider

In 1862, the Privy Council estimated that one-fifth of butcher's meat in Britain came from animals that were 'considerably diseased' or had died of pleuro-pneumonia or other diseases.

In 1877, the Local Government Board found that about a quarter of the milk it examined contained excessive water, or chalk, and 10 per cent of butter, 8 per cent of bread and 50 per cent of gin contained copper to heighten the colour. Red lead gave Gloucester cheese its 'healthy' red hue. In the long run, these additives resulted in chronic gastritis and, often, fatal food poisoning.

Even the rich were not safe. The London county medical officer discovered the following in ice cream: cotton fibre, lice, bed bugs, bug's legs, fleas, straw, human hairs and cat and dog hairs. Such contamination can (and did) cause diphtheria, scarlet fever, diarrhoea and enteric fever.

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

Those "toxic" ingredients are listed, giving people the choice to make themselves. The horsemeat was not listed, therefore taking away peoples choice over what they eat.

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

having taken a product to a food factory

and it being tested to hell;i am just puzzled why this has just come out'

also its not just cheap meals;

its a con right across the whole beef /proccesed meals range .

I stopped buying supermarket meat years ago and get everything from the local butcher, reason being is I can see what I'm buying, they can tell me from what farm it has come and I have a good chat and a bit of banter as well. I can make a shepherds pie or lasagne as cheap as the pre packed crap and know exactly what I put in it.

I have however had the odd kebab, the odd dodgy burger and various other bits and pieces and while you know it isn't going to be the best piece of meat you've ever had surely the least you can expect is that it is the animal you think you are eating? Given the UK abbatoirs now being raided I strongly suspect my last doner was at best a 50/50 chance of being something other than lamb.

Unite the masses and bring a class action against the supermarkets and food industry! Power to the People.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I remember a few years back when Easter Eggs had to be labelled "chocolate flavoured" as they were not 100% chocolate

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I read this morning that preliminary tests are indicating that the 'horse meat' is possibly donkey!

We aren't even getting proper fucking horse!!!! GAH! "

That's where you got that ass from then

derby

"All these points have been made numerous times before. The point i am making is that govt and the media have suddenly sprung into life over a relatively healthy ingredient being discovered in a value meal. Funny how they dont spring into life over the poisons and toxic additives found in the very same meals."

But there has been several reports all over the print and broadcast media about about the possible toxins in the horse meat! The thing is if it does contain these toxins it is not "relatively safe", that (from the reports I have seen) along with the false labelling has been the main points thrust of the reports... Maybe I see different reports to you.

derby

And as an aside, I have also seen many many reports on the news, documentary type programs and in health type programs that have banged on about additives legal and other wise in mass produced food. Salt, colouring and preservative to name a few. Remember the huge scandal a few years ago about antifreeze found in wine, that still pops up from time to time.

By *evilwolfCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Remember the huge scandal a few years ago about antifreeze found in wine, that still pops up from time to time. "

The car's still running on a gallon of Austrian white... it's lasted better than DEX COOL... none too chablis, eh?

Wolf

derby

"Remember the huge scandal a few years ago about antifreeze found in wine, that still pops up from time to time.

The car's still running on a gallon of Austrian white... it's lasted better than DEX COOL... none too chablis, eh?

Wolf

"

By *ex4unowCouple  over a year ago

near you

But no mad cow disease though lol

"Apart from the labelling issue the problem is horses are treated for some ailments that is toxic to humans and this meat has not (obviously) been tested for the drug. Horse meat for human consumption has to be proved to clear of this drug.

Personally having eaten horse I don't have a problem with it but if something is labelled as beef then it should be beef and the meat what ever it is should be proven safe to eat.

All these points have been made numerous times before. The point i am making is that govt and the media have suddenly sprung into life over a relatively healthy ingredient being discovered in a value meal. Funny how they dont spring into life over the poisons and toxic additives found in the very same meals."

I think it's hilarious, for the exact same reasons you mention.

Funniest was the headline this morning that horse meat has been found in a kebab.....!!

Omfg there's no words...........!!

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

What I don't understand is, if horsemeat is so much cheaper than beef why can't I buy it openly in my local shops?

It's the cows I feel sorry for, soon they will be made redundant.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

What about some of the drugs that may be in horses systems. The bigger problem is that the meat is basically uncontrolled. Could be a myriad of different things wrong with it.

They are saying there is pork in beef stuff now.

Be finding meat in veggie products soon methinks.

"It's the cows I feel sorry for, soon they will be made redundant.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

"

don't milk it.

"But no mad cow disease though lol "

crazy horses .........

The retailers know exactly what is in the food they are selling,, don't let anybody try to fool you!!

To me the horse is the best animal alive ...... we won wars with our horses and if not for them ... we may not be living like we do ....... Thay have been the work horse for man ....and we own them alot. I have 5 and if i ever found horse meat in my home god help them , We would be in court ,

By *atcherofmyballsMan  over a year ago

hereford

The doctor told me to watch what I eat. I now watch channel 4 racing every Saturday

A horse called _unky monkey runs in the 3.40 at Kelso tomorrow.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

"The doctor told me to watch what I eat. I now watch channel 4 racing every Saturday

A horse called _unky monkey runs in the 3.40 at Kelso tomorrow."

Back it! It came in last time*

*Funky Monkey forum persona and Funky Monkey Enterprises™ have no affiliation to the race horse Funky Monkey. No liability, or responsibility is accepted arising from reliance upon the information contained in this thread.

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

"I read this morning that preliminary tests are indicating that the 'horse meat' is possibly donkey!

We aren't even getting proper fucking horse!!!! GAH! "

On Food and Drink last week there is a place in Europe (Italy possibly, cant remember exactly) do eat donkey.

Im bothered about how and where these horses have been and how they died. Im not overly bothered about eating horse so long as its labelled correctly and it has been reared and slaughtered for human consumption. The thought of a scabby dead horse found at the side of the road and sold on to a slaughter house is what concerns me.

If I buy something which says beef mince, then I expect it to be beef mince.

Its like buying a tin of beans and opening it and finding dog food in it to me.

» Add a new message to this topic