FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Slavery at Poundland

Slavery at Poundland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This news story about the girl who was volunteering at a museum and forced to leave and work at Poundland or face losing benefits.

My objection to this is that private companies like Poundland get unpaid workers. Why didn't they choose community based work.

Anyway she won her case and I agree.

What do you think?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"she won her case and I agree. "

Billy

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

Has your self-imposed forum ban ended?

"Has your self-imposed forum ban ended?"

Shit

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

"Has your self-imposed forum ban ended?

Shit"

I should get to the loo then.

"This news story about the girl who was volunteering at a museum and forced to leave and work at Poundland or face losing benefits.

My objection to this is that private companies like Poundland get unpaid workers. Why didn't they choose community based work.

What do you think?"

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Was she unpaid or was she getting benefits?

" My objection to this is that private companies like Poundland get unpaid workers."

Are they really unpaid? Don't they get benefits? If they do receive benefits then they should have to work to earn them - this country is too quick to hand out charity whilst others get taxed to the hilt

I meant private companies benefit from free labour paid by taxpayers. Yes these people received benefits but it seems in this woman's case she was ready volunteering for a museum.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I agree with work to get benefits.

But it should be work in the community, museums, volunteer projects. Not working for a multi-million pound business, that can afford to give someone a job and pay them. If they took on a paid worker, that would be one less person we'd be paying benefits to.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

I think the museum bit is a bit if a straw man argument. If she was working at the museum she wasn't available to work.

On the other hand the same applies to working at Poundland/Tescos or whatever.

If these companies need people they should employ them

"I agree with work to get benefits.

But it should be work in the community, museums, volunteer projects. Not working for a multi-million pound business, that can afford to give someone a job and pay them. If they took on a paid worker, that would be one less person we'd be paying benefits to. "

Couldn't agree more!

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

But it should be work in the community, museums, volunteer projects. Not working for a multi-million pound business, that can afford to give someone a job and pay them. If they took on a paid worker, that would be one less person we'd be paying benefits to. "

Exactly!! So they are getting a freebie and the benefit is still being paid. X

Listened to lbc this morning and a worker from B&Q allegedly has had their hours reduced as a result of this scheme. If someone on benefits if forced to take part in the scheme what does it achieve ? They should be forced to find work

" My objection to this is that private companies like Poundland get unpaid workers.

Are they really unpaid? Don't they get benefits? If they do receive benefits then they should have to work to earn them - this country is too quick to hand out charity whilst others get taxed to the hilt "

I agree with people working to get benefits but within communities not for companies like pound land.

How many run down churches and such are there,old peoples homes things like that,soup kitchens and the likes.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

" My objection to this is that private companies like Poundland get unpaid workers.

Are they really unpaid? Don't they get benefits? If they do receive benefits then they should have to work to earn them - this country is too quick to hand out charity whilst others get taxed to the hilt "

JSA for 2 weeks = £142

Minimum Wage for 2 weeks = (37.5 x £6.19) x 2 = £464.24

That's quite a few quid in the bank for Poundland !

11hrs a week should cover the JSA (which is you're on contribution based JSA, you've already paid for)

"Listened to lbc this morning and a worker from B&Q allegedly has had their hours reduced as a result of this scheme. If someone on benefits if forced to take part in the scheme what does it achieve ? They should be forced to find work "

I dont understand, if they are already working, why do they have to join this scheme? genuine question x

Are they really unpaid? Don't they get benefits? If they do receive benefits then they should have to work to earn them - this country is too quick to hand out charity whilst others get taxed to the hilt

I agree with people working to get benefits but within communities not for companies like pound land.

How many run down churches and such are there,old peoples homes things like that,soup kitchens and the likes.

"

x

By *arl828Man  over a year ago

warrington, Cheshire

Like the previous poster said, if she volunteers she is not actively seeking work. When they say stop benefits was she expected to work at poundland for nothing or minimum wage?

So instead of handing financial assistance to the individual, we hand it to multi-million pound companies - thus ensuring they don't need to create jobs for the individual?

Bonkers.

they dont make the easter europeans do it y should someone english have to ?

southend

People on benefits are forced to find work. Sorry, people on Job Seekers Allowance are forced to find work. When you go for your fortnightly appointment, you have to take evidence of job searches in accordance with the plan that is set out when you first sign on.

If they took her on a minimum wage she would earn 4 times her benefit. Pl make no effort to train her or instill skills and basically using as slave labour.

However I guess in this girls case she was a bit of a prima donna and refused to seek certain jobs she deemed beneath her graduate status. That is no doubt the reason the dwp sent her to pound land in the first place

For some reason this has made me envision doms and subs wondering around poundland in gimp masks. Walking each other in dog leads sorry x

I believe she was volunteering at a museum and gaining experience in a field she had been studying and was qualified in.Some careers seem to require this kind of experience.....working in film and tv are very similar...the more experience you have the better your chances of that job!!!!

Hinckley

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 10:58:13]

"I think the museum bit is a bit if a straw man argument. If she was working at the museum she wasn't available to work.

On the other hand the same applies to working at Poundland/Tescos or whatever.

If these companies need people they should employ them"

She was volunteering. Ie not been paid by the museum which is fairly common place. I don't object to museums benefitting though because they are there for the community and often

Free or cheap entertainment.

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 10:59:22]

southend

"Like the previous poster said, if she volunteers she is not actively seeking work. When they say stop benefits was she expected to work at poundland for nothing or minimum wage?"

But if she is working at Poundland she isn't available for work either. She doesn't get paid from Poundland, all she gets is the Job Seekers Allowance she was already getting.

When they started this venture I signed up to it, and I have to say it was more hassle than its worth, I had to invest my time in training someone who didn't really want to be at work and spending your day telling someone what to do and trying to push them along is no fun, if I had received worthy candidates I would have offered them a full time job but there was a very good reason why they had been unemployed for so long....they simply didn't want to work for a living....

I'm of corse not categorising everyone in this but it is a costly for the employer too...

Personally I think if your out of work community projects would be great as it gets people out and hopefully motivated, they can also learn new skills and feel a little more worthy x

warrington, Cheshire

"People on benefits are forced to find work. Sorry, people on Job Seekers Allowance are forced to find work. When you go for your fortnightly appointment, you have to take evidence of job searches in accordance with the plan that is set out when you first sign on.

"

I took them 150 email application and the 150 reply print outs to prove I was looking for work 3 months ago, they've not asked me since, but I don't think you still recieve JSA if you work for one of these companies you take minimum wage.

Hinckley

"People on benefits are forced to find work. Sorry, people on Job Seekers Allowance are forced to find work. When you go for your fortnightly appointment, you have to take evidence of job searches in accordance with the plan that is set out when you first sign on.

"

And if you don't, you get sanctioned (ie. your benefits get stopped), this applies to Eastern Europeans too.

Plus, you only get JSA for 6 months, after that, nothing !

Edited to put Eastern instead of Easter

If “Poundland etc” were required to provide specific “On the job training” which resulted in a certificate of training and competence for the young unemployed person during a short period of mandatory secondment ….

I could see mutual benefit in the scheme…!

Hinckley

I took them 150 email application and the 150 reply print outs to prove I was looking for work 3 months ago, they've not asked me since, but I don't think you still recieve JSA if you work for one of these companies you take minimum wage."

No you don't, you get benefits still. You're effectively working for Poundland for £1.89/hr

southend

I took them 150 email application and the 150 reply print outs to prove I was looking for work 3 months ago, they've not asked me since, but I don't think you still recieve JSA if you work for one of these companies you take minimum wage."

Nope, unfortunately not. Under the scheme she took them to court over, she was forced out of unpaid voluntary work for a museum, to go work for Poundland for her benefits.

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 11:06:29]

Hinckley

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 11:03:16]

I took them 150 email application and the 150 reply print outs to prove I was looking for work 3 months ago, they've not asked me since, but I don't think you still recieve JSA if you work for one of these companies you take minimum wage.

Nope, unfortunately not. Under the scheme she took them to court over, she was forced out of unpaid voluntary work for a museum, to go work for Poundland for her benefits. "

Out of interest, who paid her legal fees? Please tell me she didnt receive legal aid!!

I'm also curious as to how the companies like Poundland have been selected. Mr Notts has his own business and would love some cheap labour. Any ideas where he could apply?

Nope, unfortunately not. Under the scheme she took them to court over, she was forced out of unpaid voluntary work for a museum, to go work for Poundland for her benefits.

Out of interest, who paid her legal fees? Please tell me she didnt receive legal aid!!"

Well she wouldn't have been able to afford legal fees on JSA !

A Geology graduate from Birmingham - although it doesn't mention her award, probably expected to waltz out with a 2:2 and get a £30k pa starting salary - get real! Even with a first you start at £15k without experience.

Another moaning bastard that thinks the world owes them something - instead of wasting time in court go and find a real fucking job!

southend

My gym recently took on a young kid who hadn't been able to get a job. It's only an independent, so it can't be that hard.

The kid is doing really well, doing his personal training exams and everything. So he'll get a career out of it.

southend

"A Geology graduate from Birmingham - although it doesn't mention her award, probably expected to waltz out with a 2:2 and get a £30k pa starting salary - get real! Even with a first you start at £15k without experience.

Another moaning bastard that thinks the world owes them something - instead of wasting time in court go and find a real fucking job! "

So was she studying while claiming? Or was she already a graduate? Because you can't claim JSA whilst you are at university.

"A Geology graduate from Birmingham - although it doesn't mention her award, probably expected to waltz out with a 2:2 and get a £30k pa starting salary - get real! Even with a first you start at £15k without experience.

Another moaning bastard that thinks the world owes them something - instead of wasting time in court go and find a real fucking job!

So was she studying while claiming? Or was she already a graduate? Because you can't claim JSA whilst you are at university. "

It says in the Telegraph she spent 18mths sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring after she graduated - of course once you graduate employers are knocking themselves down to grab you when you are the cream of the crop.... Clearly he isn't

Many employers have been proven to abuse this scheme.

There is a huge difference between providing work experience and exploiting unpaid labour.

warrington, Cheshire

This story was from 2011 by the way, non the less it's wrong. I've just read an artical on it.

Years ago M&S got £1000 for every person they 'trained' I use this word losely, then every 13 weeks we got a new influx of about 30 people. So it's not a new cocept that large companies get some thing for nothing off the government.

Another moaning bastard that thinks the world owes them something - instead of wasting time in court go and find a real fucking job! "

That’s quite a lot of unfounded swathing assumptions there…….

We agree that the unemployed should do something for their benefits and so should anyone who comes here to abuse the system if they want soemething out of the system put something into it.....that includes politicians.

Out of interest, who paid her legal fees? Please tell me she didnt receive legal aid!!

Well she wouldn't have been able to afford legal fees on JSA !"

Yes, I did grasp that!!

"We agree that the unemployed should do something for their benefits and so should anyone who comes here to abuse the system if they want soemething out of the system put something into it.....that includes politicians."

Lol love the last quip

By *quirrelMan  over a year ago

North Yorks

That was her point,she wanted to get a job but was so tied up with working for less than £2 per hour at poundland she couldnt actually look for one. Poundland was exploiting her situation, they didnt train her or give her any induction or safety brief she was just told to follow instructions. And if she had been involved in an accident and injured she would have recieved no compensation as she was not technically employed by the company.

And if you think being a student is easy look at the costs of education and the amount of debt you leave University with, she only followed govt advice in getting a good education so she would be able to get a job.

That’s quite a lot of unfounded swathing assumptions there……. "

As a Geology graduate with a 1st who had to search for a position in a competitive industry I'd say I'm pretty confident with my analysis - unless you care to prove me wrong?

As a Geology graduate with a 1st who had to search for a position in a competitive industry I'd say I'm pretty confident with my analysis - unless you care to prove me wrong? "

What a strange response to ask anyone to rise to a challenge of disproving your opinion…..

For instance do you know what grade she got? ,,,,, do you know the marital status of her parents? . do you know her expectations and attitudes towards meeting whatever personal goals she has set herself?… do yoy know what she hope to aspire to?….

As for suggesting she wasted court time,,, apparently she hasn’t, as the case she brought was won….. !!!!!

As a Geology graduate with a 1st who had to search for a position in a competitive industry I'd say I'm pretty confident with my analysis - unless you care to prove me wrong?

What a strange response to ask anyone to rise to a challenge of disproving your opinion…..

For instance do you know what grade she got? ,,,,, do you know the marital status of her parents? . do you know her expectations and attitudes towards meeting whatever personal goals she has set herself?… do yoy know what she hope to aspire to?….

As for suggesting she wasted court time,,, apparently she hasn’t, as the case she brought was won….. !!!!!

"

"

I wasn't objecting to your opinion, merely stating I have some knowledge of the relevant job market. Truthfully I couldn't give a flying fuck about her personal situation - I attempted to find her grading but the media doesn't mention it. Her main gripe seems to be I have accumulated all this debt and now I can't work to pay it off - as if she would leave a wink of sleep over that, you don't need to pay anything back til you reach an earning threshold.

The job market may be hard but there is usually something available although it may not meet you ideal pay or working conditions. Rewind back a couple of hundred years and those with an allergy to work would not have had the handouts they receive now.

I wasn't objecting to your opinion, merely stating I have some knowledge of the relevant job market. Truthfully I couldn't give a flying fuck about her personal situation - I attempted to find her grading but the media doesn't mention it. Her main gripe seems to be I have accumulated all this debt and now I can't work to pay it off - as if she would leave a wink of sleep over that, you don't need to pay anything back til you reach an earning threshold.

The job market may be hard but there is usually something available although it may not meet you ideal pay or working conditions. Rewind back a couple of hundred years and those with an allergy to work would not have had the handouts they receive now."

Ok...

But basically when I said....

“That’s quite a lot of unfounded swathing assumptions there”…….

I wasn’t wrong ?

The thread was really about large corporations profiteering from the tax payer, but as you state you have similar knowledge of her situation Cirque, what is the problem with her volunteering at a museum and using her skills? That's got to be better than working in an environment that she doesn't wish to be in?

"That was her point,she wanted to get a job but was so tied up with working for less than £2 per hour at poundland she couldnt actually look for one"

But she couldn't have been looking for a job anyway as she was doing a voluntary job at a Uni or Museuam or something (someone tell me which it was??). If that was the case, she shouldn't have been getting JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE as thats the one thing she wasn't doing - seeking a job!! Someone quoted her saying she 'sat by the phone for 18 months'. Where? In the place she was doing 'voluntary work'???

I agree there ARE some people who are taking the mickey out of the system and SHOULD be made to do some form of work in return for their benefits. Anyone who has never paid in to the system comes to mind never mind weather they were born here or not.

By *i 42Man  over a year ago

tyldesley

I have my own business people working for me its hard times I say just give the girl a break

The job market may be hard but there is usually something available although it may not meet you ideal pay or working conditions. Rewind back a couple of hundred years and those with an allergy to work would not have had the handouts they receive now.

Ok...

But basically when I said....

“That’s quite a lot of unfounded swathing assumptions there”…….

I wasn’t wrong ? "

Very well, in correction, my initial statement (based on my knowledge) was on the job market, my assumption was on the nature of her degree, Miss Reilly is more than welcome to correct me on that 2nd point if I'm missing the mark.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

"If they took her on a minimum wage she would earn 4 times her benefit. Pl make no effort to train her or instill skills and basically using as slave labour.

However I guess in this girls case she was a bit of a prima donna and refused to seek certain jobs she deemed beneath her graduate status. That is no doubt the reason the dwp sent her to pound land in the first place"

She is actually working in Asda now !

"I have my own business people working for me its hard times I say just give the girl a break "

I agree, she did not just sit on her jacksy and take this treatment. She was pro-active and did something to stimulate change.

Good on her I say. We need more like her.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

she has won, she may lose more longer term...

"If they took her on a minimum wage she would earn 4 times her benefit. Pl make no effort to train her or instill skills and basically using as slave labour.

However I guess in this girls case she was a bit of a prima donna and refused to seek certain jobs she deemed beneath her graduate status. That is no doubt the reason the dwp sent her to pound land in the first place

She is actually working in Asda now ! "

Is that a wind up!!

"she has won, she may lose more longer term..."

Doubt it, she has proven she has a brain and is willing to use it. She will have learnt a lot from this case.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

She has since got a part time job.

Stacking shelves...

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

The important thing being that she, and another test case brought to court, won the day in court and succesfully brought this government scheme crashing down.

I have my own business, I don't want people being forced to work for me to earn their benefits.

We have left the days of the workhouse far behind in British history...for good reason.

"she has won, she may lose more longer term...

Doubt it, she has proven she has a brain and is willing to use it. She will have learnt a lot from this case."

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"she has won, she may lose more longer term...

Doubt it, she has proven she has a brain and is willing to use it. She will have learnt a lot from this case."

cool, our opinions differ

"The thread was really about large corporations profiteering from the tax payer, but as you state you have similar knowledge of her situation Cirque, what is the problem with her volunteering at a museum and using her skills? That's got to be better than working in an environment that she doesn't wish to be in? "

Totally, I have no objection to her volunteering to work in the public sector if she gains fulfilment from that, what I don't agree with is getting Jobseeker's Allowance while doing so, although granted you can't live without a source of income. It would be better for volunteers to receive "pocket money" equal to JSA while doing so.

It's the ones who expect hand outs that infuriate me, especially when they are fit and able to work but choose not to.

"Was she unpaid or was she getting benefits? "

Both...being on benefits is not gettin paid!

tyldesley

It's people like her that want to work are the people we need I'd give her a job anyday

tyldesley

It's people like her that want to work are the people we need I'd give her a job anyday

Torquay

"She has since got a part time job.

Stacking shelves..."

And what may I ask is wrong with that?

At least she will be doing it for a wage and not for JSA.

I've waitressed, stacked shelves, P.A's peeps, worked in Woolies, designed, taught and started a successful business.

You do what it takes at the time.

"This news story about the girl who was volunteering at a museum and forced to leave and work at Poundland or face losing benefits.

What do you think?"

depends what benifits she was on

If its job seekers allowance then i agree she should loose her benifits, jobs seekers allowance is just that, money to help people while seeking a job, if shes doing voluntary work and not seeking paid employment why should she get it?

Torquay

"I've waitressed, stacked shelves, P.A's peeps, worked in Woolies, designed, taught and started a successful business.

You do what it takes at the time."

"I've waitressed, stacked shelves, P.A's peeps, worked in Woolies, designed, taught and started a successful business.

You do what it takes at the time.

"

You do what it takes at the time."

i worked in bloody Mcdonalds when i was 18, i hate the place and it goes against everything i believe in, but i was a single mum at uni and it was the only job i could find that worked round my uni so i took it

As said you do what you have to, untill you have a degree and can pick and choose what you want you cant afford to be fussy

southend

You can do up to 12 hours voluntary work a week whilst claiming JSA. As long as you are available for inter_iew with 48 hours notice, and you can start paid work with a weeks notice. And you are still actively looking for work.

When I was unemployed I was have gone crazy if it were not for the voluntary work I did.

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

hillarious . The right wing, hang the lazy,benefit scroungers brigade dont really have anywhere to go with this one. Any support for workfare means agreeing that tax payers money should be used providing free labour to companys like tesco, BnQ and poundland.

Workfare is state sponsored slavery.

Torquay

"hillarious . The right wing, hang the lazy,benefit scroungers brigade dont really have anywhere to go with this one. Any support for workfare means agreeing that tax payers money should be used providing free labour to companys like tesco, BnQ and poundland.

Workfare is state sponsored slavery."

aka The Workhouse....

The system should look at schemes proven to work. I know several people who benefited from work experience schemes in the past and have never looked back. (I'm talking ten years or so back).

Hinckley

"hillarious . The right wing, hang the lazy,benefit scroungers brigade dont really have anywhere to go with this one. Any support for workfare means agreeing that tax payers money should be used providing free labour to companys like tesco, BnQ and poundland.

Workfare is state sponsored slavery."

Jesus, someone else that gets it !

Norwich

Thinking that people should work for long term benefits doesn't mean that you support giving tax-payers money to big companies for nothing either.

"Thinking that people should work for long term benefits doesn't mean that you support giving tax-payers money to big companies for nothing either."

london

"Thinking that people should work for long term benefits doesn't mean that you support giving tax-payers money to big companies for nothing either."

In that case pensioners should work for their state pension and familys should work for child benefit. And all the people who work for companys like tesco but aren't paid enough to afford their rent and can claim housing benefit should be given extra jobs.

"Thinking that people should work for long term benefits doesn't mean that you support giving tax-payers money to big companies for nothing either.

In that case pensioners should work for their state pension and familys should work for child benefit. And all the people who work for companys like tesco but aren't paid enough to afford their rent and can claim housing benefit should be given extra jobs."

"nan - grab your coat you're leaving the home"

What do you think?"

Sounds all like a bit of a mess to me. I guess there is sound reason for making people work but poundland sounds like a poor venue.

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 13:04:15]

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Anyone fancy a drink????

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

Listened to this on R4 this a.m.

She was on benefits, the work at the museum was in line with her degree.

Poundland was not.

She has now got a job in Morriosons, so perhaps it did help her, but have to say I feel uneasy about work that isn't directly aimed at getting you back into your "proper" job

How much does stuff cost in poundland?

You are encouraged to volunteer for things under cameronscbig society then when you do you are hassled to do compulsory unpaid work. If you voluntary work say for a charity shop then why can this not be classed as work which allows benefit to be paid. Fail to see why big companies are indeed getting free labour. In essence whats difference between voluntary work for benefit payment.

london

"Thinking that people should work for long term benefits doesn't mean that you support giving tax-payers money to big companies for nothing either.

In that case pensioners should work for their state pension and familys should work for child benefit. And all the people who work for companys like tesco but aren't paid enough to afford their rent and can claim housing benefit should be given extra jobs.

"nan - grab your coat you're leaving the home" "

send her to me ill look after her.

"nan - grab your coat you're leaving the home"

send her to me ill look after her."

Ooo I can picture a scene from little Britain here lol u sicko - that's me nan your dissing!!!

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

I don't know that much about all this benefit or work placement or slavery or whatever you call it

But what I know is that any job or activity that will get you out of a jobless situation should be welcomed

If you don't like the job you are forced to do,make it adapt to you and move your way up

I know of some countries where you have to pay to get a work experience. Kids in country like that would take on any chance offered to them just to prove that they can do a job

Norwich

In that case pensioners should work for their state pension and familys should work for child benefit. And all the people who work for companys like tesco but aren't paid enough to afford their rent and can claim housing benefit should be given extra jobs."

Or maybe the minimum wage should be enough to live on?

But that is a different argument altogether.

And I said benefits, not pensions.

Norwich

"How much does stuff cost in poundland? "

That's what they learn on "work experience"

london

Or maybe the minimum wage should be enough to live on?

But that is a different argument altogether.

And I said benefits, not pensions."

state pension is a benefit.

Norwich

Yes, and the recipients have already done the work.

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

Actually I'm kind of in favour of people working or doing some kind of job training for unemployment benefit but it should not be at the benefit of companies.

Many are missing the point of benefits, todays pensioners have made contributions to their state pensions where as tomorrows pensioners many not born/raised in this country it will be a free benefit and not contributed.

"state pension is a benefit."

Time to get off this planet

Those who have come to this country are paying their taxes and did not benefit from the education system. Should we therefore discount their taxes?

What do you think?"

I totally agree. She was already volunteering to a non profit organisation and then forced to work for profit without seeing any of it. The govt and DWP have gotr their heads and arses wired the wrong way.

By *icky55Man  over a year ago

Warm an cosy cave. Brist

"Has your self-imposed forum ban ended?

Shit"

Oops go for it.

Make the peeps who don't what to work work for there Benefits I know people who never worked for years long be for this Recession thingy started

By *eryCuriousCouple2012Couple  over a year ago

Funville

Benefits are not 'free money' or a charity given freely out of the generosity of the governments heart! They are paid for out of the public taxes and NI contributions. Most people (even the long-term unemployed) will generally have a job at some point and so will have earned the right to benefits.

It seems that anybody on benefits is now demonised as 'work-shy' or 'lazy' without knowledge of their circumstances which makes it all the easier for the government to slowly but surely remove them.

Given enough time we will no longer have any form of socialised care, whether that care be in the form of financial assistance to those who need it or health care...who else can see the dismantling of the benefits system on the horizon? Or removing the NHS? All in the name of 'austerity measures' of course. Where will it end? No public schools? No 'free at the point of service' hospitals? No more care 'from cradle to grave'?

This woman fought for the right to earn a wage for a full time job and not simply 'earn' benefits(and good for her)...are we truly becoming a Dickensian society once more? Are the Workhouses becoming a reality once again?

For the record, neither of us claim benefits but we are grateful that should the worst happen, we are entitled to financial assistance.

"Benefits are not 'free money' or a charity given freely out of the generosity of the governments heart! They are paid for out of the public taxes and NI contributions. Most people (even the long-term unemployed) will generally have a job at some point and so will have earned the right to benefits.

"

It would be great if that was true but in many cases it isn't. Is it wrong to get people some works experience that may lead to full time employment? The Free money bit well in many cases its not been earnt so what's wrong with some payback for receiving it.

Funville

"It would be great if that was true but in many cases it isn't. Is it wrong to get people some works experience that may lead to full time employment? The Free money bit well in many cases its not been earnt so what's wrong with some payback for receiving it. "

It is true! That is precisely what I meant when I said that people on benefits are demonised...there seems to be a popular misconception that there are more people defrauding the system than genuine cases and this is simply not the case!

There will, as ever, be a minority of people who use the system of course but are you suggesting that we should penalise everybody for the actions of a few?

And if there are places available for workers then they should be given employment at the national minimum wage and not work a full time job for significantly less

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

Workhouse? Seriously? Some people need to get a grip. The rest of us work on a daily basis to earn our living, I don't see why it shouldn't apply to benefit claimants.

This country is becoming a bloody joke with "human rights"

Funville

"Workhouse? Seriously? Some people need to get a grip. The rest of us work on a daily basis to earn our living, I don't see why it shouldn't apply to benefit claimants.

This country is becoming a bloody joke with "human rights""

Yeah I know what you mean! Some people just want everything...a roof over their head, food, water...cheeky bastards!

It's not as though there is a global recession going on with widespread unemployment and rising prices on everything...

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

"Workhouse? Seriously? Some people need to get a grip. The rest of us work on a daily basis to earn our living, I don't see why it shouldn't apply to benefit claimants.

This country is becoming a bloody joke with "human rights"

Yeah I know what you mean! Some people just want everything...a roof over their head, food, water...cheeky bastards!

It's not as though there is a global recession going on with widespread unemployment and rising prices on everything... "

Where did I say they weren't entitled to any of that? I don't see why it's considered the workhouse to actually get off your ass and do an honest days wprk for the otherwise free money that gets thron at them.

Norwich

So because there is a global recession people shouldn't have to work?

Don't you think that one way out of the recession might be to have more people working?

By that I mean working for the benefit of the people paying them, not Poundland, Tesco or some other corporate entity

Funville

" Where did I say they weren't entitled to any of that? I don't see why it's considered the workhouse to actually get off your ass and do an honest days wprk for the otherwise free money that gets thron at them. "

That's pretty much the classic definition of a workhouse to be honest..to do a days work for very little recompense.

What free money is that? Are you referring to the money that is earned through NI contributions and tax? Are you buying into the idea that everybody on benefits is a scrounger that has never done a days work in their lives?

That's an incredibly naive assumption that is bolstered by the demonising of the poor by the government and the media.

If you are buying into that assumption, I hope you never lose your job and have difficulty finding a new one in this current climate..maybe ask someone that worked in Comet, Woolworths, Focus DIY or anyone of the companies that have failed in the past few years

Funville

"So because there is a global recession people shouldn't have to work?

Don't you think that one way out of the recession might be to have more people working?

By that I mean working for the benefit of the people paying them, not Poundland, Tesco or some other corporate entity"

I do think that would be a wonderful way out of recession..the problem being that a recession means no jobs available..which is why people end up on benefits.

Do I think work experience is a good idea? Yes

Do I think working a full time job for benefits is a good idea? No

derby

Take a look on the job center plus site then tell me there are no jobs available! The main problem is a lot of them are £100 a week apprenticeships or ongoing temporary work via agencies.

Yes of course those out of work should work for their unemployment benefit but the benefit should be a full wage.

"Take a look on the job center plus site then tell me there are no jobs available! The main problem is a lot of them are £100 a week apprenticeships or ongoing temporary work via agencies.

Yes of course those out of work should work for their unemployment benefit but the benefit should be a full wage. "

It's good that you know your stuff there but cases such as these are also regional. Liverpool's JC+ has fake job apps all over the system. You go lookinbg for them and the email addresses dont exist and even if they do, the jobs dont exist. People are being played here by the DWP to meet axing targets

derby

I am actively looking for work and have learnt a lot the last few months. Many job agencies are advertising fake or filled vacancies just to get your details. They can use their long 'client' lists to advertise their services to companies. I tend to trust the Job Center Plus site though.

"So because there is a global recession people shouldn't have to work?

By that I mean working for the benefit of the people paying them, not Poundland, Tesco or some other corporate entity

I do think that would be a wonderful way out of recession..the problem being that a recession means no jobs available..which is why people end up on benefits.

Do I think work experience is a good idea? Yes

Do I think working a full time job for benefits is a good idea? No"

Totally agree. Job seekers allowance let's not forget is just that. An allowance given to people who are seeking work.

If the Government want Poundland to employ benefit claimants to work, they should have a Workfare Allowance, like the old YTS scheme for school leavers and make something of it, where the employer has to train the employee and pay a slightly increased level of money to anyone taking part.

If the job exists and needs doing why not give them the job and pay them proper money one less unemployed seems random to me

Torquay

There is a very obvious point that has been missed here, for every position that is taking up by a 'Workfare employee' in a company, that is one position not open to someone to work for a proper wage filling the self same position and carrying out the self same duties.

It's cheap labour for employers, filling positions that could be filled by people looking for those jobs.

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 20:20:18]

Your state pension is paid for via national insurance contributions

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

What do you think?"

It made no logical sense. She was an archaeology graduate and already doing unpaid work, but in a field which would have been of benefit to her career. To then be ordered to stack shelves, a job she already had experience in as a student, to gain 'work experience' sounded like the pettiness of bureaucrats.

Utter stupidity. It's not as if she was sat on her arse watching Jeremy Kyle.

What do you think?

It made no logical sense. She was an archaeology graduate and already doing unpaid work, but in a field which would have been of benefit to her career. To then be ordered to stack shelves, a job she already had experience in as a student, to gain 'work experience' sounded like the pettiness of bureaucrats.

Utter stupidity. It's not as if she was sat on her arse watching Jeremy Kyle."

Why is Jeremy Kyle being dragged into this ? You make sense in what you say then finish it with a pop at someone who isn't well. Notice you didn't say sat in arse watching loose women ? Discuss

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

really annoyed at the slave aspect if poundland had a vacancy and she fulfilled it then she should have been paid the going rate by them. not be pimpedout by the jobcentre

What do you think?"

If a company can't survive paying their employees the going rate for what do it shouldn't be in business.

What do you think?

Why is Jeremy Kyle being dragged into this ? You make sense in what you say then finish it with a pop at someone who isn't well. Notice you didn't say sat in arse watching loose women ? Discuss "

WTF???? Who's not well?

"really annoyed at the slave aspect if poundland had a vacancy and she fulfilled it then she should have been paid the going rate by them. not be pimpedout by the jobcentre"

What do you think?

Why is Jeremy Kyle being dragged into this ? You make sense in what you say then finish it with a pop at someone who isn't well. Notice you didn't say sat in arse watching loose women ? Discuss

WTF???? Who's not well? "

Jeremy Kyle

Torquay

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle "

Bollocks.....

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle "

So what? I was referring to daytime tv not an individual.

That was completely irrelevant to my post.

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

That was completely irrelevant to my post."

So if its irrelevant why mention it or why not say day time tv? As I said what you said was making sense I just questioned why you had to mention Jeremy kyle

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

So if its irrelevant why mention it or why not say day time tv? As I said what you said was making sense I just questioned why you had to mention Jeremy kyle"

Your petty nitpicking is just a means to get an argument going and I'm not interested. YOUR point was irrelevant. And now, I shall simply ignore you as your approach is diverting away from the discussion at hand which was probably your intention.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"really annoyed at the slave aspect if poundland had a vacancy and she fulfilled it then she should have been paid the going rate by them. not be pimpedout by the jobcentre

"

+1

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 21:37:36]

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 21:37:30]

Kent

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

So if its irrelevant why mention it or why not say day time tv? As I said what you said was making sense I just questioned why you had to mention Jeremy kyle"

If your gonna get the hump every time someone uses a Jeremy Kyle analogy on here I'd prepare yourself.. Although I'm not sure why you did get the hump about it. Are you related??

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

So if its irrelevant why mention it or why not say day time tv? As I said what you said was making sense I just questioned why you had to mention Jeremy kyle

If your gonna get the hump every time someone uses a Jeremy Kyle analogy on here I'd prepare yourself.. Although I'm not sure why you did get the hump about it. Are you related?? "

Maybe he's stared on it

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

If your gonna get the hump every time someone uses a Jeremy Kyle analogy on here I'd prepare yourself.. Although I'm not sure why you did get the hump about it. Are you related?? "

Torquay

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

He's not related....but he is on the show next Thursday

Kent

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

If your gonna get the hump every time someone uses a Jeremy Kyle analogy on here I'd prepare yourself.. Although I'm not sure why you did get the hump about it. Are you related??

"

Lol!! Show title.. 'Steam comes out of my ears whenever someone says Jeremy Kyle'

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

No wish I was. Just don't see why when ever someone is lazy, on dole, a yob or anything anti social then they have to be watching Jeremy Kyle that's all .

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

No wish I was. Just don't see why when ever someone is lazy, on dole, a yob or anything anti social then they have to be watching Jeremy Kyle that's all ."

but no one mentioned lazy, being a yob or anti socialin relation to Jeremy Kyle...?

yumsville

Maybe because his guests have all been on government work related schemes.

To drag the thread back on track pmsl

Someone made a good point earlier on about why, if there was a full time position, should Poundland not simply employ someone and pay a wage? More money in circulation then, NI paid, tax paid.

[Removed by poster at 13/02/13 21:54:46]

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Apologies for not reading all of the posts so I may be in danger of repeating a point already made.

The case was won on a technical point. I've been following this since she first raised the issue in the press.

The bigger point is that genuine, supported and structured placements can help people into work. That is not what has been happening under the Work Programme in a lot of cases. What is happening is that people are being put into low skilled work in the private sector and being used to replace paid staff.

The changes that begin in April to introduce Universal Credit may well have the perverse effect of increasing in-work benefits as schemes like the Poundland one are increased, paid hours are reduced and we pay benefits to those working for the private sector.

I think people on JSA should do something meaningful that also develops them whilst they are seeking work. The work habit needs to be acquired. The Future Jobs Fund did this.

Finally, as an aside, if employment is increasing why is borrowing to pay benefits increasing? The benefits bill has gone up because in-work benefits are needed more now. Advice agencies estimate that the poverty premium is £1,200 a year. Policy and private sector charging practices make is more expensive to live as a poor person than to live at an average wag.

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

No wish I was. Just don't see why when ever someone is lazy, on dole, a yob or anything anti social then they have to be watching Jeremy Kyle that's all .

but no one mentioned lazy, being a yob or anti socialin relation to Jeremy Kyle...?

Not in this thread but in others it has been but I apologise for going off original thread

"

Many years ago, I 'employed' my unemployed girlfriend to look after my newly formed business for a couple of hours per day. Naturally I gave her a couple of quid for helping me out which I knew was illegal.

Anyway the Dole caught up with her and questioned me about her status. I informed them that she was helping me out, doing me a favour to which they replied, "We can assume that you are paying her the going rate for the work that she is employed to do" to which I replied, "She is being paid nothing" Once again I was informed that the DSS could assume that because she was doing the job that she was doing, that she was earning the accepted rate of pay and she had to sign off the dole or stop coming to my business premises during normal business hours.

I was also informed that if I was in a position to require her to work for X hrs per week that I was also in a position to offer her a job for X £'s per week

The same should apply to Poundland - it they could find work for this woman to to do for free, then that means they must have a vacancy for a job which should be paid for at the basic wage

Funny how goalposts move around to suit current political needs

yumsville

The judge said he didn't disagree with the premise of unpaid work though he supported her that she should have been given options or opt out clauses, which is why she won I believe

Whichever way you slice it it comes out as wrong. Wrong by the DWP, wrong by Poundland and wrong by the media who vilified this quiet young woman as 'workshy'.

yumsville

She did look a bit dorky though I thought it was a bloke

"Someone made a good point earlier on about why, if there was a full time position, should Poundland not simply employ someone and pay a wage? More money in circulation then, NI paid, tax paid."

More than likely no full time position there but if your not paying the wage you can over staff as much as you like.

"Many years ago, I 'employed' my unemployed girlfriend to look after my newly formed business for a couple of hours per day. Naturally I gave her a couple of quid for helping me out which I knew was illegal.

Anyway the Dole caught up with her and questioned me about her status. I informed them that she was helping me out, doing me a favour to which they replied, "We can assume that you are paying her the going rate for the work that she is employed to do" to which I replied, "She is being paid nothing" Once again I was informed that the DSS could assume that because she was doing the job that she was doing, that she was earning the accepted rate of pay and she had to sign off the dole or stop coming to my business premises during normal business hours.

I was also informed that if I was in a position to require her to work for X hrs per week that I was also in a position to offer her a job for X £'s per week

The same should apply to Poundland - it they could find work for this woman to to do for free, then that means they must have a vacancy for a job which should be paid for at the basic wage

Funny how goalposts move around to suit current political needs "

The difference there is incentive - the incentive that was disagreeable to the DSS was because it was your incentive, whereas now the incentive the DSS agree is the one derived by them.

"She did look a bit dorky though I thought it was a bloke "

Sexist alert!!!!!!

"Whichever way you slice it it comes out as wrong. Wrong by the DWP, wrong by Poundland and wrong by the media who vilified this quiet young woman as 'workshy'.

"

Well said that lady

What do you think?

WTF???? Who's not well?

Jeremy Kyle

"

Sorry just seen your little dig. Really you think your being funny or what?

Torquay

If only there was a smilie with it's tongue poking out and thumbing it's nose.....

"If only there was a smilie with it's tongue poking out and thumbing it's nose....."

Why? You need little smiles to justify being rude and taking cheap shots?

By *evilwolfCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Someone made a good point earlier on about why, if there was a full time position, should Poundland not simply employ someone and pay a wage? More money in circulation then, NI paid, tax paid."

A simple German phrase explains...

Arbeit macht frei

Wolf

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Actung wolfie

Ich nich. Haven das deutche

Questque Sais vous spiele

Me suis eon dumcompf

Just like to say, we live in an age of lazyness, ive seen posts from people here blameing eastern europeans, its just a society of lazy english, i signed on today for the first time in a while, this woman could of worked for free for a company she was interested in working for, if she had put the effort in, and wouldnt have had to go to poundland, i know this as i before signing on offered my services to a local garage for free as its something im interested in and couldnt get payed work in the industry or anywere to be honest, i told the jc this and they said i would be sanctioned and hours of work i did there would be deducted at the nmw rate from any benifits i would get as i wouldnt be able to activly seek work during the time there. However they could ring the employer and ask if they would go on there work experiance scheme and if so i could work there for 8 weeks as long as the employer will provide a referance after. At the end of the day they only force you into free work if you have been on jsa 6 months or more, in my eyes they should be working off the money they have been given amounting to £880, if you cant find work in six months you havent been looking, work is there if your prepared to do anything ,and back to the eastern europeans, they and anyothere legal international recieve the same benifits/sanctions the sad fact is they get most of the lower payed jobs because they are prepared to work hard for nmw were most of us wont

"Just like to say, we live in an age of lazyness, ive seen posts from people here blameing eastern europeans, its just a society of lazy english, i signed on today for the first time in a while, this woman could of worked for free for a company she was interested in working for, if she had put the effort in, and wouldnt have had to go to poundland, i know this as i before signing on offered my services to a local garage for free as its something im interested in and couldnt get payed work in the industry or anywere to be honest, i told the jc this and they said i would be sanctioned and hours of work i did there would be deducted at the nmw rate from any benifits i would get as i wouldnt be able to activly seek work during the time there. However they could ring the employer and ask if they would go on there work experiance scheme and if so i could work there for 8 weeks as long as the employer will provide a referance after. At the end of the day they only force you into free work if you have been on jsa 6 months or more, in my eyes they should be working off the money they have been given amounting to £880, if you cant find work in six months you havent been looking, work is there if your prepared to do anything ,and back to the eastern europeans, they and anyothere legal international recieve the same benifits/sanctions the sad fact is they get most of the lower payed jobs because they are prepared to work hard for nmw were most of us wont"

A voice of reason . Well said mate but be prepared to be slated on here.

"Just like to say, we live in an age of lazyness, ive seen posts from people here blameing eastern europeans, its just a society of lazy english, i signed on today for the first time in a while, this woman could of worked for free for a company she was interested in working for, if she had put the effort in, and wouldnt have had to go to poundland, i know this as i before signing on offered my services to a local garage for free as its something im interested in and couldnt get payed work in the industry or anywere to be honest, i told the jc this and they said i would be sanctioned and hours of work i did there would be deducted at the nmw rate from any benifits i would get as i wouldnt be able to activly seek work during the time there. However they could ring the employer and ask if they would go on there work experiance scheme and if so i could work there for 8 weeks as long as the employer will provide a referance after. At the end of the day they only force you into free work if you have been on jsa 6 months or more, in my eyes they should be working off the money they have been given amounting to £880, if you cant find work in six months you havent been looking, work is there if your prepared to do anything ,and back to the eastern europeans, they and anyothere legal international recieve the same benifits/sanctions the sad fact is they get most of the lower payed jobs because they are prepared to work hard for nmw were most of us wont

A voice of reason . Well said mate but be prepared to be slated on here. "

its just my opinion mate im only 20 and deffinatly not work shy hate sitting at home, hence offering myself free to gain experiance in something i enjoy, the company are landrover specialists who may now be putting me through an apprentceship with landrover so unpayed work you find yourself can pay off in the long term

And if people should be dissagreeing with owt it should be the fact that 16-20 year olds have a lower nmw to 21+ even when in the same job role, same personal curcumstances, even if they work harder than the older staff its just wrong!!!

"Just like to say, we live in an age of lazyness, ive seen posts from people here blameing eastern europeans, its just a society of lazy english, i signed on today for the first time in a while, this woman could of worked for free for a company she was interested in working for, if she had put the effort in, and wouldnt have had to go to poundland, i know this as i before signing on offered my services to a local garage for free as its something im interested in and couldnt get payed work in the industry or anywere to be honest, i told the jc this and they said i would be sanctioned and hours of work i did there would be deducted at the nmw rate from any benifits i would get as i wouldnt be able to activly seek work during the time there. However they could ring the employer and ask if they would go on there work experiance scheme and if so i could work there for 8 weeks as long as the employer will provide a referance after. At the end of the day they only force you into free work if you have been on jsa 6 months or more, in my eyes they should be working off the money they have been given amounting to £880, if you cant find work in six months you havent been looking, work is there if your prepared to do anything ,and back to the eastern europeans, they and anyothere legal international recieve the same benifits/sanctions the sad fact is they get most of the lower payed jobs because they are prepared to work hard for nmw were most of us wont

A voice of reason . Well said mate but be prepared to be slated on here. its just my opinion mate im only 20 and deffinatly not work shy hate sitting at home, hence offering myself free to gain experiance in something i enjoy, the company are landrover specialists who may now be putting me through an apprentceship with landrover so unpayed work you find yourself can pay off in the long term "

Good for you mate I hope it works out for you. You sound like you want to get on in life. I'm 50 now and proud to say i'v never been out of work and never will be. Good luck to you and let me know how it goes

cheers bud

" cheers bud"

Good luck

Its the oldest trick in the book, take a section of society thats poor amd socially excluded and make them the bad guys...

Its an easy way to deflect from the problem of the gap between rich and poor. The government are doing nothing to address the problem of giving people a living wage and affordable housing hence why everyone is stuggling. Never mind the welfare state was created to end the sort of poverty where people died if they did not work. We need to be looking at ways at creating supply and demand, like saving woolies and keeping jobs.

"Just like to say, we live in an age of lazyness, ive seen posts from people here blameing eastern europeans, its just a society of lazy english, i signed on today for the first time in a while, this woman could of worked for free for a company she was interested in working for, if she had put the effort in, and wouldnt have had to go to poundland, i know this as i before signing on offered my services to a local garage for free as its something im interested in and couldnt get payed work in the industry or anywere to be honest, i told the jc this and they said i would be sanctioned and hours of work i did there would be deducted at the nmw rate from any benifits i would get as i wouldnt be able to activly seek work during the time there. However they could ring the employer and ask if they would go on there work experiance scheme and if so i could work there for 8 weeks as long as the employer will provide a referance after. At the end of the day they only force you into free work if you have been on jsa 6 months or more, in my eyes they should be working off the money they have been given amounting to £880, if you cant find work in six months you havent been looking, work is there if your prepared to do anything ,and back to the eastern europeans, they and anyothere legal international recieve the same benifits/sanctions the sad fact is they get most of the lower payed jobs because they are prepared to work hard for nmw were most iu us wont

A voice of reason . Well said mate but be prepared to be slated on here. "

She WAS working in a job she was interested in!! As an archaeology graduate she was working voluntarily in a museum. Experience she needed to further get career!@

Not saying the scheme is right or wrong, but what stops the museum or any other employer from joining it same as pound land, Tesco and others?

Great debate people

I see both sides..... Ideally, the voluntary job she undertook could have been valuable work experience and helped her crack her into her area of expertise.

That said, regardless of whether she was at Poundland or the museum, I don't see how that stopped her being a 'job seeker'. The interment doesn't shut down at 5pm and so there was nothing stopping her from seeking gainful employment when she wasn't working.

perhaps if the idiot scheme gave her the option of doing both positions on a part time basis..1 or 2 days a week in poundland and the other at the museum.. thus gaining some retail experience at least.. but nooo.. some wankers basically saying we have found u a job that doesnt pay...but is better than what u are already getting...

try working that out

and to top it off, the girl won her case for the obvious reasons some fuckwits messed up