FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The new Tory gameplan

The new Tory gameplan

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The Tories have been looking at how to get black, Asian and other ethnic minorities to vote for them in the next election. The feeling is they cannot win an outright majority unless they get BME communities on side.

The big idea they have come up with is asking FTSE companies to monitor and report how many BME people work for them to show just how fair it is working with Tory policies.

This is just a few months after Cameron announced that Equality Impact Assessments should be scrapped and the Public Sector Equality Duty should be changed (preferably abolished) as all this equality stuff is just a tick-box exercise and is red tape for business.

How do you think the Conservative Party can woo the black and ethnic minority vote?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rumCoupleCouple  over a year ago

birmingham

"The Tories have been looking at how to get black, Asian and other ethnic minorities to vote for them in the next election. The feeling is they cannot win an outright majority unless they get BME communities on side.

The big idea they have come up with is asking FTSE companies to monitor and report how many BME people work for them to show just how fair it is working with Tory policies.

This is just a few months after Cameron announced that Equality Impact Assessments should be scrapped and the Public Sector Equality Duty should be changed (preferably abolished) as all this equality stuff is just a tick-box exercise and is red tape for business.

How do you think the Conservative Party can woo the black and ethnic minority vote?"

Probably very easily. Minorities tend to be conservative anyway[1]. Well, the ones that vote.

Anyway, in the larger picture it makes very little difference. If you actually look at how elections are won, you'll find something like 80% of votes effectively cancel each other out, and of the remaining 20%, they are spread through a small subset of constituencies. Winning an election is really about swaying these valuable few. The rest of us can go hang.

There was a study a few years back that showed what a vote was "worth" depending on where it was, and who it was for. The upshot was most votes are useless.

[1]Usual health warning about generalisations.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

It should be remembered that it's possible to be conservative without being Conservative.

"How do you think the Conservative Party can woo the black and ethnic minority vote?

Probably very easily. Minorities tend to be conservative anyway[1]. Well, the ones that vote.

Anyway, in the larger picture it makes very little difference. If you actually look at how elections are won, you'll find something like 80% of votes effectively cancel each other out, and of the remaining 20%, they are spread through a small subset of constituencies. Winning an election is really about swaying these valuable few. The rest of us can go hang.

There was a study a few years back that showed what a vote was "worth" depending on where it was, and who it was for. The upshot was most votes are useless.

[1]Usual health warning about generalisations."

The research shows that most ethnic minorities vote Labour. Ashcroft's own report states that the conservatism of ethnic minorities does not translate to Tory votes as the Party is still seen as being for white, upper and middle class people only.

Swing votes are crucial to all parties but the swing might now be held by BME communities.

"It should be remembered that it's possible to be conservative without being Conservative."

I can't find a smilie that concurs with that other than

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

To be honest I think they have a fair chance of winning it outright anyway.

Look at the oposition, Milliband. I mean - what kind of leader do you think he'll be, hes a fart of a guy in all honesty. He has no policies, back bone or outright deficit reduction plan.

Wouldnt vote for him in a million years. Especially on the back of his parties previous excapades concerning feckless spending, immigration and imo top down governing

"To be honest I think they have a fair chance of winning it outright anyway.

Look at the oposition, Milliband. I mean - what kind of leader do you think he'll be, hes a fart of a guy in all honesty. He has no policies, back bone or outright deficit reduction plan.

Wouldnt vote for him in a million years. Especially on the back of his parties previous excapades concerning feckless spending, immigration and imo top down governing"

It's clear that the Tories and LibDems are beginning their separation process but none of them think they can win outright at the moment.

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

The 3 main parties are almost indistinguishable - they're all metropolitan pillocks withy absolutely no empathy for ordinary people. They'll promise anybody anything to get elected, and once their will forget it all and work for their own narrow interests. Example - it was recently announced MPs want a 32% pay increase, and you can bet they'll all vote THAT in.

Glasgow

Someone at Tory Central Office spotted how Obama won and thought ............ I wonder if that'd work for us?

There are, of course, two very basic reasons why it won't.

"Someone at Tory Central Office spotted how Obama won and thought ............ I wonder if that'd work for us?

There are, of course, two very basic reasons why it won't.

"

The first report on this was 2005, I think, and was dismissed. The "solutions" so far have been to have Baroness Warsi and not much more.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"It's clear that the Tories and LibDems are beginning their separation process but none of them think they can win outright at the moment."

Perhaps the Lib Dems are hoping for another hung parliament so they can work with Labour this time and piss everyone off again!

Living in York I suspect that various quotas for other races are not met in both public and private sectors because we just don't have any. Its bizarre how few live here. Having said that York has a Labour MP and a Labour council so the Tories didn't win with this little part of white Middle England.

Glasgow

".......Having said that York has a Labour MP ........... "

Hugh Bayley is an incredibly hard-working MP.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

".......Having said that York has a Labour MP ...........

Hugh Bayley is an incredibly hard-working MP."

He's the best! Long may he represent us.

By *ussy-StretcherMan  over a year ago

UK

Labour still remain the best goodnews to this country, i must confess. Long Live Labour!!!!

"Labour still remain the best goodnews to this country, i must confess. Long Live Labour!!!!"

Effective, real opposition - not more of the same with a red rose.

» Add a new message to this topic