FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Unmarked police cars

Unmarked police cars

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This is doing the rounds on FB, not sure how true it is, but certainly gives you food for thought:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc.

So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone.

This connected her to the police dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked car with a flashing blue light behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.

The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.

One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.

They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car.

Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place.

You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did.

Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information.

So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal).

This is good information that I did not know!

As far as I am aware, 112 uses a system called triangulation so they can also pinpoint exactly where you are phoning from.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rcalmMan  over a year ago

leeds/bradford

so is this a definate for all drivers..do not have to pull over for unmarked police car?? i do understand a ladies position on this,,great to see 112!!!

By *azzaahhWoman  over a year ago

north wales / chester

But surely you'd have to pull over to use mobile

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Very useful to know...

I'd never even heard of the 112 function until I read this thread,,,

"so is this a definate for all drivers..do not have to pull over for unmarked police car?? i do understand a ladies position on this,,great to see 112!!!

"

If you feel unsure that an unmarked car is the police or not then regardless of your sex you shouldn't pull over. Like the article say, acknowledge them and then continue to a service area and then stop. If they get shitty with you (and ARE the police) inform them of the law and that should shut them up.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

does sound like an urban myth albeit with some good advice within it...

however cant imagine if this did occur that the local and national media would not have it out there..

public safety etc..

and its a positive story for whichever Police force involved, their press office would push it..

how recent is it meant to have happened?

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I haven't heard of this law but it does make sense.

I would guess the details of the story is made up though. Cop response in 10 mins !!!! Plus so many of them

By *om1962Man  over a year ago

Brighton

After a quick search for the text "stopping for unmarked police car" on google, the very top result from "askthe dot police dot uk" was as follows...

START

The following is advice for anyone who feels vulnerable were she (or he) to stop. In many cases there may be several of you in the vehicle or you are confident you can deal with the situation, in which case this advice may not be for you.

An unmarked police car can stop vehicles, but it must contain a constable who MUST be in uniform in order to carry out the stop.

If a car flashing for you to pull over or stop is unmarked, unless you are 100% certain it is the police, do not stop. Drive steadily to the nearest public place (for example a petrol station where they are open till late, a police station or somewhere there are a lot of people) and then stop. If you are in a relatively deserted area, as a last resort, consider looking for a house that is obviously occupied and pull into the driveway. (You can always apologise to the householder afterwards.)

Try and signal that you have acknowledged the request to stop and indicate the action you are taking (put your flashers on or signal by pointing from the driver's window etc.). Don't drive off at great speed making the police think you are trying to get away.

Keep the doors locked until you are happy it is the police. Have your mobile at hand just in case. You can ask to see a warrant card, which should carry a name and photograph, through the closed window.

Incidentally, if you are suspected of drink/drugs driving none of these actions would invalidate an officer giving you a preliminary screening test as you have only temporarily interrupted your journey and are still driving for the purposes of that law.

END

Hope this helps

In Scotland all police cars marked or unmarked start with SF as the first 2 letters of the registration. If im being followed etc by what I think is a unmarked police car I always check the reg first. I would so the same though if I was in car myself, on a country road etc I wouldn't just pull over cos they had a flashing blue light. You also can lock doors once pulled over, put your window slightly down and ask for Id before stepping out vehicle. If your insure still as op said contact 112 or 999 to double check if legitimate police or not

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 30/01/13 11:36:34]

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Not sure how true the story is but the advice is good I think.

I am not sure I have ever mentioned when my car went on fire and two fire engines full of firemen came to put it out ....but when I rang for the Fire brigade the operator thought I had been cut off and told the FB exactly when I was , what number I was calling from and even the network ( not sure why that would be relevant but there ya go )....so it isn't just the 112 number that pinpoints you...the 999 picks up everything too

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

"But surely you'd have to pull over to use mobile "
Not if you have hands-free.

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

"But surely you'd have to pull over to use mobile Not if you have hands-free."
Calls to 999 and 112 are exempt if it is impractical or unsafe to stop.

I'd pull over, lower the window sufficiently for an ID to be passed to me so that I can ascertain if it is genuine, before I would proceed any further.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

as alorry driver we have similar instructions as this is the way highjackers opperate many companys who carry high value loads issue you with a card to place in the windscreen informing the police you will continue to the nearest police station .

"does sound like an urban myth albeit with some good advice within it...

however cant imagine if this did occur that the local and national media would not have it out there..

public safety etc..

and its a positive story for whichever Police force involved, their press office would push it..

how recent is it meant to have happened?"

I don't know. As I said, it's doing the rounds on fb so it may be quite an old story. I've not seen it before though.

"as alorry driver we have similar instructions as this is the way highjackers opperate many companys who carry high value loads issue you with a card to place in the windscreen informing the police you will continue to the nearest police station ."

The Post Office armoured vehicles have a similar system in place too.

"I'd pull over, lower the window sufficiently for an ID to be passed to me so that I can ascertain if it is genuine, before I would proceed any further. "

That's the point though Pearl, a rapist would be more likely to present you with a hammer than an ID card. If you stop in a layby for example, you putting yourself at risk. If you keep moving he'd have to force you to stop.

I'll be watching the person like a hawk. I would not stop the car so that I can have a quick get away if required.

"This is doing the rounds on FB, not sure how true it is, but certainly gives you food for thought:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc.

So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone.

This connected her to the police dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked car with a flashing blue light behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.

The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.

One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.

They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car.

Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place.

You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did.

Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information.

So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal).

This is good information that I did not know!

As far as I am aware, 112 uses a system called triangulation so they can also pinpoint exactly where you are phoning from."

112 is what i use when i worked for Security.. You also got 101..

But good to know thanks..

No1 never lower your window to check id even a fraction windows are harder to break when fully up. No 2 follow advice from others and drive on to a safe place if its the real police and they want you stopped they will just drive in front and stop you I know this because it happened to me I was driving an unmarked security vehicle real police will stop you forcefully hope this helps

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"In Scotland all police cars marked or unmarked start with SF as the first 2 letters of the registration. ..........."

There's one sitting across the road from my home now and that isn't the case.

In Your Bush

"No1 never lower your window to check id even a fraction windows are harder to break when fully up. No 2 follow advice from others and drive on to a safe place if its the real police and they want you stopped they will just drive in front and stop you I know this because it happened to me I was driving an unmarked security vehicle real police will stop you forcefully hope this helps"

No. 3 if they start to pull on lubricated latex gloves. Run as fast as your little legs will carry you.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"In Scotland all police cars marked or unmarked start with SF as the first 2 letters of the registration. ...........

There's one sitting across the road from my home now and that isn't the case."

Have you been a naughty boy

Glasgow

"In Scotland all police cars marked or unmarked start with SF as the first 2 letters of the registration. ...........

There's one sitting across the road from my home now and that isn't the case.

Have you been a naughty boy "

No more so than usual but in this case I'm not the object of their attentions.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"does sound like an urban myth albeit with some good advice within it...

public safety etc..

how recent is it meant to have happened?

I don't know. As I said, it's doing the rounds on fb so it may be quite an old story. I've not seen it before though."

no, not heard it before..

the advice is similar to what a copper told us in LA, before we played dodge the bad area after leaving the airport..

112 is for any emergency service all through Europe now as well as the uk. Obviously 999 here too. 112 gets you through to the same operators that you'd get with 999. They cannot find you by mobile signals as this cost money. They will know where you are if you're using a landline. Not much help if you're in the car I know. X

Glasgow

"112 is for any emergency service all through Europe now as well as the uk. ............"

I don't think 112 works in Scotland.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"112 is for any emergency service all through Europe now as well as the uk. Obviously 999 here too. 112 gets you through to the same operators that you'd get with 999. They cannot find you by mobile signals as this cost money. They will know where you are if you're using a landline. Not much help if you're in the car I know. X"

ccooo see my post above

Either the lady was physic or they have ways

Even in Scotland. Anywhere in Europe. It's to stop people getting confused from country to country x

Forum Mod

O o O oo

or even psychic

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"112 is for any emergency service all through Europe now as well as the uk. Obviously 999 here too. 112 gets you through to the same operators that you'd get with 999. They cannot find you by mobile signals as this cost money. They will know where you are if you're using a landline. Not much help if you're in the car I know. X"

112 goes straight to police not though emergency operator and to get position on mobile is easy enough using triangulation method on signal strength

"Not sure how true the story is but the advice is good I think.

I am not sure I have ever mentioned when my car went on fire and two fire engines full of firemen came to put it out ....but when I rang for the Fire brigade the operator thought I had been cut off and told the FB exactly when I was , what number I was calling from and even the network ( not sure why that would be relevant but there ya go )....so it isn't just the 112 number that pinpoints you...the 999 picks up everything too "

They would have taken the network provider in case they couldn't find you. It happens sometimes with calls that are abandoned. When you call from a mobile your approximate location in detected from eastings and Northings of the nearest mast. For example, you fall down the stairs and can't move your legs, (sorry bit drastic!) You call 999/112 but before you give the address your battery dies. The operator will tell the call handler your number and network, they will then proceed to call you back. If no contact is made then they can then contact your service provider to see if your mobile phone is registered to an address within the easting and Northing range. If it does then that's the address they should dispatch to. I think that makes sense!

The car that pulls you over will have blue and possibly red strobes hidden in the radiator grille, plus the headlights will probably flash. There won't be a rotating bulb on the dash or anything like that.

It'll be a decent sized saloon or estate, not a manky Focus. The officer will be in uniform, including body armour and belt with all manner of gear hanging off it.

A safe place to stop usually means the next available layby or pull in off the carriageway, not driving 20 miles to your next petrol station or something. You're more likely to have them pull in front of you and try to force you to stop if you try that. And how many of you have actually seen a warrant card up close so would know a genuine one if it was shown to you?

Surely all that's required is a bit of common sense. If it looks like a police car/officer, it probably is.

I'm sure rapists find it easier to just jump on victims staggering home from a night out rather than getting a car, buying blue lights and a fake uniform and stopping people to rape them on the roadside.

And you can dial 999 from any mobile regardless of credit, if you've no network coverage for your particular network it WILL jump onto the next available one to make the call. If you really are in the middle of nowhere and have no network coverage of any type then dialling 112 will do sweet fa anyway.

By *ot - CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"In Scotland all police cars marked or unmarked start with SF as the first 2 letters of the registration. If im being followed etc by what I think is a unmarked police car I always check the reg first. I would so the same though if I was in car myself, on a country road etc I wouldn't just pull over cos they had a flashing blue light. You also can lock doors once pulled over, put your window slightly down and ask for Id before stepping out vehicle. If your insure still as op said contact 112 or 999 to double check if legitimate police or not"
Dont be fooled by SF on the Reg plate thats only the area where the vehicle was first registered, S Scotland and F Falkirk, there are plenty of other vehicles with this plate that are NOT Police.

By *ot - CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"112 is for any emergency service all through Europe now as well as the uk. ............

I don't think 112 works in Scotland."

It does!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I am not sure I have ever mentioned when my car went on fire and two fire engines full of firemen came to put it out ....but when I rang for the Fire brigade the operator thought I had been cut off and told the FB exactly when I was , what number I was calling from and even the network ( not sure why that would be relevant but there ya go )....so it isn't just the 112 number that pinpoints you...the 999 picks up everything too

They would have taken the network provider in case they couldn't find you. It happens sometimes with calls that are abandoned. When you call from a mobile your approximate location in detected from eastings and Northings of the nearest mast. For example, you fall down the stairs and can't move your legs, (sorry bit drastic!) You call 999/112 but before you give the address your battery dies. The operator will tell the call handler your number and network, they will then proceed to call you back. If no contact is made then they can then contact your service provider to see if your mobile phone is registered to an address within the easting and Northing range. If it does then that's the address they should dispatch to. I think that makes sense!"

It would do for someone at an address....but I was in a layby on a road.

It makes sense what you are saying about why they need to know your provider though

They would have taken the network provider in case they couldn't find you. It happens sometimes with calls that are abandoned. When you call from a mobile your approximate location in detected from eastings and Northings of the nearest mast. For example, you fall down the stairs and can't move your legs, (sorry bit drastic!) You call 999/112 but before you give the address your battery dies. The operator will tell the call handler your number and network, they will then proceed to call you back. If no contact is made then they can then contact your service provider to see if your mobile phone is registered to an address within the easting and Northing range. If it does then that's the address they should dispatch to. I think that makes sense!

It makes sense what you are saying about why they need to know your provider though "

Good!

Out in the street is more difficult. In busy areas your location is detected to within a couple of hundred metres. Not sure about hin the sticks though!

"

It makes sense what you are saying about why they need to know your provider though "

Same works anywhere, they know which cell mast you are calling through and it works as the poster above said.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

It makes sense what you are saying about why they need to know your provider though

Same works anywhere, they know which cell mast you are calling through and it works as the poster above said."

I get that bit, and have guessed thats how they could pinpoint where I was.

I was just clarifying that I wasn't at an address so the posters comment didn't apply to me.

"But surely you'd have to pull over to use mobile "

You can use a mobile when driving if you are in danger or feel threatened

I've used this. Was first thing someone said to me when I started driving nice cars.

I had to use it once as I was attempted to be pulled over late at night. I let them know by flashing my hazards. Driving very sensibly until I got to the police station. When I stopped the officers got very vocal with me. Till their Sergent had a word.

I would never ever stop if I wasn't sure.

The SF prefix is NOT an indication of a police vehicle . It merely indicates that a vehicle has been manually registered with dvla as opposed to using the AFRL system. This applies to emergency service vehicles, modified vehicles eg lgv derived vehicle such as taxi conversions or to large goods vehicles or busses.

"I've used this. Was first thing someone said to me when I started driving nice cars.

I had to use it once as I was attempted to be pulled over late at night. I let them know by flashing my hazards. Driving very sensibly until I got to the police station. When I stopped the officers got very vocal with me. Till their Sergent had a word.

I would never ever stop if I wasn't sure. "

I'd have loved to have been a fly on that particular wall. Watching some in ya face copper get told the law would my idea of a fun night out.

Also SF denotes a vehicle registered under the Glasgow area dvla authority. The other registration areas in Scotland are Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Dundee. Vehicles registered in Scotland will begin with S but the prefix TF was used several years ago by dvla to cover Scottish registered vehicles

112 is an alternative to 999 and I don't think there is any difference - they both get you through to the emergency services and both ask you 'which service you require'

Maybe some good advice and some urban myth ?

This is correct for women I asked a very good friend who is CID he confirmed it to me, whilst having a good natter he also told me that should you also find yourself at a cash point being forced to withdraw money if you enter your pin the opposite way for example if my pin was 1234 enter it 4321 it alerts security on the cash point and the police that money is being taken under duress! And a squad car despatched to that machine. But anyone willing to try can they let me know if it works lol.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

"This is correct for women I asked a very good friend who is CID he confirmed it to me, whilst having a good natter he also told me that should you also find yourself at a cash point being forced to withdraw money if you enter your pin the opposite way for example if my pin was 1234 enter it 4321 it alerts security on the cash point and the police that money is being taken under duress! And a squad car despatched to that machine. But anyone willing to try can they let me know if it works lol. "

so what if my pin number is 1111 .. does a squad car get despatched every time i withdraw cash ??

"This is correct for women I asked a very good friend who is CID he confirmed it to me, whilst having a good natter he also told me that should you also find yourself at a cash point being forced to withdraw money if you enter your pin the opposite way for example if my pin was 1234 enter it 4321 it alerts security on the cash point and the police that money is being taken under duress! And a squad car despatched to that machine. But anyone willing to try can they let me know if it works lol. "

Now that definitely is an urban myth. If he is CID then he's been misinformed, but it's very easy to check, phone your local police station and ask them.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

An urban myth I'm afraid....

In Your Bush

"This is correct for women I asked a very good friend who is CID he confirmed it to me, whilst having a good natter he also told me that should you also find yourself at a cash point being forced to withdraw money if you enter your pin the opposite way for example if my pin was 1234 enter it 4321 it alerts security on the cash point and the police that money is being taken under duress! And a squad car despatched to that machine. But anyone willing to try can they let me know if it works lol.

so what if my pin number is 1111 .. does a squad car get despatched every time i withdraw cash ??"

Wondered why I got arrested every Saturday morning !

that was quick thinking that really paid of it horribal to think what could have happend if she had just pulld over like so maney people would have but have comfort in the fort that this man is now in prison and will be getting the shit beat out of him not nearly what he deserves tho

Tosh !

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

I think thats a myth...who is going to wait for the ol bill to turn up for two days at a cash point?

This 'story' has been doing the rounds since before 2002..it started in America (shock!) then Canada...then over to Australia..now Dorset..the womans name has also changed from 'Lisa' to 'Lauren'...

So, sorry to disappoint, but its probably a load of ol bollocks...and the fact thats its on Facebook reinforces this even more...before long, in every town or city in the UK someone will have a 'friend' who knows of 'someones sister/Neice/Aunt/mum/grandmother who this 'really did' happen to...

I bit like the 'salty Balti' story, the Mercury from a broken light bulb that 'ate' someones foot...and other associated urban myths

BUT!...it is still very good advice, and advice that should be heeded...If it saved just one potential victim from a loon then the story wasnt in vain..

Decent coppers know the law about pulling people over..and they would/could always call for back up from a marked car..

By *heekygeordieguyMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

Having worked within this organisation....I cant believe how gullable some people are if they want to believe this post.!!!

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

" When I stopped the officers got very vocal with me. Till their Sergent had a word. "

They REALLY don't like it when you shout "You'll never take me alive, copper" and floor it, leaving Plod standing by the side of the road. They just don't have a sense of humour.

i think someone has taken the piss and knows im gullable hahah wait till i see him next

"i think someone has taken the piss and knows im gullable hahah wait till i see him next"

With regard to 'taking the piss'..did you know that a policeman or policewoman has to let you use their helmet to urinate in if you are in need and there are no toilets available? Also as a female, you have the right to use ANY toilet in ANY shop even if supposedly for 'staff use only'...you cannot legally be refused access!

By *vana sukalotWoman  over a year ago

In a land of make believe (Derby)

"i think someone has taken the piss and knows im gullable hahah wait till i see him next

With regard to 'taking the piss'..did you know that a policeman or policewoman has to let you use their helmet to urinate in if you are in need and there are no toilets available? Also as a female, you have the right to use ANY toilet in ANY shop even if supposedly for 'staff use only'...you cannot legally be refused access!"

Only if you're up the duff though.

I cannot believe that the Police would be as sneaky to drive 'round in unmarked cars.

» Add a new message to this topic