FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Changing careers.

Changing careers.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *opsy Rogers OP   Woman  over a year ago

London

Some brain picking please. I've been in the same career for 20+ years and I may have to change it this year.

Who can I see to talk about transferable skills and options?

I don't even know how to write a really good CV or what there is on the market I could do and I'd like to talk it over with someone.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

have u tried asking at the jobcentre they will have people who can help write a cv or even tell you where to gewt help

see a careers adviser. most colleges have one you can book a chat with

"Some brain picking please. I've been in the same career for 20+ years and I may have to change it this year.

I don't even know how to write a really good CV or what there is on the market I could do and I'd like to talk it over with someone. "

Before seeking the best advice I think its important to establish whether you are looking for a new career ,,,, or if you are just looking for alternate employment?

London

"Some brain picking please. I've been in the same career for 20+ years and I may have to change it this year.

I don't even know how to write a really good CV or what there is on the market I could do and I'd like to talk it over with someone.

Before seeking the best advice I think its important to establish whether you are looking for a new career ,,,, or if you are just looking for alternate employment? "

Excellent point and thank you for clarifying for me. I think what I need to know is if my current level of education, skills and experience can be utilised in another career with a similar numeration. The job I do is very restricted within its field and after perusing job sites, I didn't even know what half of them are!

The following CV format seems to work well for me, as advised to me by someone else.

Have contact detail such as phone number and email address right at the top.

Next a brief description of what you are good at. Need to make this punchy to grab attention.

Then a list of your key knowledge and strengths.

Then experiences starting with the most current, listing key responsibilities and major achievements. Go into a bit more details for recent posts, and less details are required the further back in timeline.

Leave personal details till last. No need for education and grades if one has attained a professional qualification.

No more than 2 sides of A4.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Before seeking the best advice I think its important to establish whether you are looking for a new career ,,,, or if you are just looking for alternate employment?

Excellent point and thank you for clarifying for me. I think what I need to know is if my current level of education, skills and experience can be utilised in another career with a similar numeration. The job I do is very restricted within its field and after perusing job sites, I didn't even know what half of them are!

"

Does your present work require you to liase with allied businesses where your existing skills and experience could be an advantage for them ?.

London

I wish it blooming did Soxy!

Be carefull of going to these CV companies, the wife went to one and using the one they gave her she hasn't got anywhere.

I am not sure about where you are but I have found some places close to me ignore the transferable skills, they look for one type of person and that is it.

» Add a new message to this topic