FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Just stop oil

Just stop oil

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Ok I know this is going to divide opinion.

But just watched the news story about the guy losing his shit at the slow walking in London.

Errrrmmmmm I know that many sympathise but I'm with him to a point.(not violence)

For me these are nothing more than professional anarchists who just jump from one cause to another.

Do they not work?

Causing huge traffic jams, adding to the problem surely?

But are they winning anyone over to their cause?

If they want the use of oil stopped at least come up with a realistic viable affordable alternative.

The planet has been in a state of constant change for for 4.543 billion years how do they know that the changes happening aren't supposed to be?

Humans is as much part of evolution as everything else

On earth and our impact good or bad might be just the natural order of things.

In approximately 5 billion years the sun is going to go boom anyway.

Between now and then chance's are a fuck load more changes are going to happen.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be more responsible and be aware of our impact but these protests are just going about things the wrong way.

I don't know anyone who agrees with their actions.

I understand the cause but not the way they are going about it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

It was the road blockades that got me, want the government and people using fossil fuels but in doing so cause them to use more being stuck in traffic burning the pollutents they hate so much and having to fill up prematurely from when they would have and keeping the cycle ever flowing

I totally get their point there are other viable fuel sources that could be looked into by the government and the damage the planet is having done but honestly is there not another way about it or what suggestions do they have rather than annoying Joe public who are just trying to get on woth their day and put food on the table and a roof over their head

Tinder x

By *mf123Man  over a year ago

with one foot out the door

Do they even want to stop babyoil and cooking oil

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Any anger I have towards them I take and aim at the government who are refusing to stop all new licensing of oil.

Good for those people for trying to cause disruption to force change. Actually their protests are the reason I read further about their real cause.

Anyway, my feelings are that protest must disrupt. Some of the protests/ action that allow me to live relatively safely in this country were disruptive and probably a pain. But they worked. I hope the government commit to our children’s and their possible children’s futures. Even just by taking a first step.

When I get mad at these protesters I remember that they’re doing what needs to be done to force government to act. Perhaps unsurprisingly they won a fan in me. But the horrible people that constantly enact violence against these people piss me off and I hope they face the consequences of acting as if they are the violent enforcers of the law.

"Any anger I have towards them I take and aim at the government who are refusing to stop all new licensing of oil.

Good for those people for trying to cause disruption to force change. Actually their protests are the reason I read further about their real cause.

Anyway, my feelings are that protest must disrupt. Some of the protests/ action that allow me to live relatively safely in this country were disruptive and probably a pain. But they worked. I hope the government commit to our children’s and their possible children’s futures. Even just by taking a first step.

When I get mad at these protesters I remember that they’re doing what needs to be done to force government to act. Perhaps unsurprisingly they won a fan in me. But the horrible people that constantly enact violence against these people piss me off and I hope they face the consequences of acting as if they are the violent enforcers of the law. "

I also recognise that this comes from a place of privilege and security that allows me to be reasonably unaffected. And so I’m also understanding of why people don’t like them. Unless they’re violent. Then I think you are worse.

By *stellaWoman  over a year ago

London

"Any anger I have towards them I take and aim at the government who are refusing to stop all new licensing of oil.

When I get mad at these protesters I remember that they’re doing what needs to be done to force government to act. Perhaps unsurprisingly they won a fan in me. But the horrible people that constantly enact violence against these people piss me off and I hope they face the consequences of acting as if they are the violent enforcers of the law. "

It's irrelevant if you agree or not.

The right to protest and to some degrees, the right to civil disobedience is the cornerstone of any Liberal democracy.

Start meddling with that and what do we become?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Whatever my opinion if they'd stopped me getting to a hospital appointment or a funeral if have been incandescent

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

When they stop the traffic and are all sitting or lying on the road, I wounder how many realise the road the are sitting on is made from bi product of crude oil. Some of the clothes they wea could be made from fossil fuels.

By *otryMan  over a year ago

On the road

I'd love for them to be able to stop oil for 2 weeks. And see how hard it would be to survive at present with out it. These protesters would be begging for oil. It is used in every aspect of our lives. Not saying its right or good but personally global warming is a natural occurance. Like the last ice age. Like the heat waves it comes and ot goes long before we humans had to blame someone/something

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Something needs to be done because we're heading to a horrible future.

Maybe this is the beginning of marginalisation of humans

By *4bimMan  over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

The trouble is most of these protestors are hypocrites.

They use products daily which contain oil, plastics, and use iPads, laptops etc which are made by the poorest people in the world.

When they stop me going about me daily business I will intervene and remove them myself by force.

They have the right to protest, everyone does.

But as soon as you stop me from doing what I need to do we got a problem.

By *egDaySkipperMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I'd love for them to be able to stop oil for 2 weeks. And see how hard it would be to survive at present with out it. These protesters would be begging for oil. It is used in every aspect of our lives. Not saying its right or good but personally global warming is a natural occurance. Like the last ice age. Like the heat waves it comes and ot goes long before we humans had to blame someone/something"

Why is it that people use natural occurrence as argument for global warming?

If you had a bush fire and started pouring gasoline on it, is that a natural occurance as well?

"I'd love for them to be able to stop oil for 2 weeks. And see how hard it would be to survive at present with out it. These protesters would be begging for oil. It is used in every aspect of our lives. Not saying its right or good but personally global warming is a natural occurance. Like the last ice age. Like the heat waves it comes and ot goes long before we humans had to blame someone/something"

No more licensing of oil doesn’t mean we go without oil from tomorrow.

"

The planet has been in a state of constant change for for 4.543 billion years how do they know that the changes happening aren't supposed to be?

"

I'm not commenting on the actual protesting here, but as a geologist, I can tell you that the changes we're seeing are absolutely not natural. Cycles of icehouse and greenhouse climates are expected and we have the geological record to refer to. But the acceleration brought about by human activity makes what we're experiencing very different.

You can disagree with protestors and their cause if you like, but the science is clear.

By *eFCUKaLotCouple  over a year ago

somewhere close

"

I'm not commenting on the actual protesting here, but as a geologist, I can tell you that the changes we're seeing are absolutely not natural. Cycles of icehouse and greenhouse climates are expected and we have the geological record to refer to. But the acceleration brought about by human activity makes what we're experiencing very different.

You can disagree with protestors and their cause if you like, but the science is clear. "

So what do you suggest we do?

Can't see any sense in arguing against their cause.

As for how they choose to protest it makes me laugh that it's perfectly okay to close off roads for an old bloke to put a crown on his head, but it's not okay for the peasants to cause a much lesser inconvenience.

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple  over a year ago

Watford

These are people with naive and simplistic ideas that oil can magically be dispensed with in a modern world. Completely delusional.

These people just want to feel important. They joined a cult.

Britain has made huge efforts to reduce carbon. We produce less than 2 percent of world greenhouse gases.

If Britain disappeared from the planet overnight, there would be a negligible reduction.

If these people are serious, they'd target China and the US, not the UK, which, if anything, they should be praising for being more than enthusiastic energy reducers.

By *eFCUKaLotCouple  over a year ago

somewhere close

[Removed by poster at 19/05/23 21:24:49]

"Can't see any sense in arguing against their cause.

As for how they choose to protest it makes me laugh that it's perfectly okay to close off roads for an old bloke to put a crown on his head, but it's not okay for the peasants to cause a much lesser inconvenience.

Bit different, Londoners know weeks in advance that the roads were gonna be closed for the coronation and it was on a Saturday. You’re lucky from where you come from this shit doesn’t happen. "

Fair point. They just need to give advance notice.

By *ornyhiker00Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

The one who chained his neck to the goal at the Newcastle game didnt tie it tight enough sadly.

There just a bunch of online brainwashed saddos the lot of them.

Find me one who hasnt been in car bus, train, plane and used oil whilst fighting their cause...

I actually believe in doing your bit for the environment but this lot are loons.

"Find me one who hasnt been in car bus, train, plane and used oil whilst fighting their cause...

"

Are we supposed to await for the untarnished and only then will a protest be valid?

May take a while.

By *ornyhiker00Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"Find me one who hasnt been in car bus, train, plane and used oil whilst fighting their cause...

Are we supposed to await for the untarnished and only then will a protest be valid?

May take a while."

Its ok they kept us updated via there social media posts on therr chinese made carbon neautral smart devices

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple  over a year ago

Watford

May take a while.

Its ok they kept us updated via there social media posts on therr chinese made carbon neautral smart devices "

And then later, their Mummies turn up in Land Rover Discoveries to pick them up after the protest and take the protesters & their banners home.

By *spookie666Man  over a year ago

newmarket

A dog running around on a road causing closure is ok, queen or other politicians goings around with road closures is ok! A broken down lorry, car etc... Is ok..

We all should do our bit to reduce reliance on oil. We cannot point fingers at China or other manufacturing hub, as their percapita CO2 is way less compared to a few middle Eastern countries.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"These are people with naive and simplistic ideas that oil can magically be dispensed with in a modern world. Completely delusional.

These people just want to feel important. They joined a cult.

Britain has made huge efforts to reduce carbon. We produce less than 2 percent of world greenhouse gases.

If Britain disappeared from the planet overnight, there would be a negligible reduction.

If these people are serious, they'd target China and the US, not the UK, which, if anything, they should be praising for being more than enthusiastic energy reducers."

Agreed

By *abonTedCouple  over a year ago

Midlands & Cheltenham

What’s wrong with anarchy? This version of democracy is not so good. I thought that while I watched the coronation.

And yeah, someone said “freedom to protest” its ever so important as is the planet’s ability to sustain life.

Love n peace People

"What’s wrong with anarchy? This version of democracy is not so good. I thought that while I watched the coronation.

And yeah, someone said “freedom to protest” its ever so important as is the planet’s ability to sustain life.

Love n peace People "

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Absolute idiots. Go and blockade oil refineries. Stopping people going about their business will win very few supporters.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Target China? Who is buying all the stuff that China produces?

By *nkyCplCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"Absolute idiots. Go and blockade oil refineries. Stopping people going about their business will win very few supporters. "

This! Bunch of self entitled, attention seeking (for themselves, not their cause), work shy, numpties!

"Target China? Who is buying all the stuff that China produces? "

Also- target the British government because you’re British and live in Britain and the government won’t stop new licensing of oil. They signed new contracts recently. They’re not committed despite the evidence.

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

I am an absolute upholder of the right to oppose and protest … it’s democracy!

These lunatics however don’t protest … they disrupt - and there is a difference! If we talk about a right to protest … what about our right to go about our business unhindered! … clearly the rights of the majority who do go about their business are superseded by the minority who want to stop them.

It’s another indictment of the woke society we live in … I wait for the day when common sense returns!

R xx

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I think they are professional anarchists yes, I read about some living in trees for 18 months stopping a motorway being built then moved onto something else.

I guess they are similar to travellers or people living in communes in the bush of Australia , they reject a way of live that most people just accept as the only way - that you must work for companies 1/3 of your life and pay tax etc so that stuff we dint really need can be made and consumed to destroy the planet - and not challenge the system, other than vote.

"Absolute idiots. Go and blockade oil refineries. Stopping people going about their business will win very few supporters. "

By *ackdaw52Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Yeah but...

If they protested in a way that didn't inconvenience anyone then they'd just get ignored.

As we've seen with the recent wave of strikes, the only way to make progress in this country is to cause havoc.

Also I think it reflects more poorly on motorists than the protesters. No one is more privileged, small minded and downright mean than a car driver who doesn't get what they want.

By *entlemanFoxMan  over a year ago

North East / London

"What’s wrong with anarchy? This version of democracy is not so good."

Everything is wrong with anarchy. Civilization is a thin veneer over some ugly traits. Without that glue holding together things very rapidly fall apart and you end up with things like they were in the Former Yugoslavia where really unspeakable inhumanities occurred and were principally suffered by the poorest and most vulnerable.

Our version of democracy is probably as good as it gets.

"

Our version of democracy is probably as good as it gets. "

What a depressing view.

"I think they are professional anarchists yes, I read about some living in trees for 18 months stopping a motorway being built then moved onto something else.

I guess they are similar to travellers or people living in communes in the bush of Australia , they reject a way of live that most people just accept as the only way - that you must work for companies 1/3 of your life and pay tax etc so that stuff we dint really need can be made and consumed to destroy the planet - and not challenge the system, other than vote.

"

Agree with this.

couple, us we him her.

"I am an absolute upholder of the right to oppose and protest … it’s democracy!

These lunatics however don’t protest … they disrupt - and there is a difference! If we talk about a right to protest … what about our right to go about our business unhindered! … clearly the rights of the majority who do go about their business are superseded by the minority who want to stop them.

It’s another indictment of the woke society we live in … I wait for the day when common sense returns!

R xx"

Well said, exactly my thoughts.

What's the point in protesting and disrupting common folk who have no input regarding policy change.

Seems like a gesture designed to piss off people rather than get people on board for the cause in question.

As someone else said perhaps going to the countries that are really abusive oil usage and production and protest.

Oh wait they won't as they know those countries won't put up with this sort of shit and throw their asses in jail or worse.

Besides they can't travel to far because they have to be back for the gymkhana at mummy and daddies estate the weekend.

By *ts the taking part thatMan  over a year ago

southampton

"It's irrelevant if you agree or not.

The right to protest and to some degrees, the right to civil disobedience is the cornerstone of any Liberal democracy.

Start meddling with that and what do we become?"

Not irrelevant if their protest effects you and your daily life, we need control on how you protest but never to stop protest.

These people have decided to cynically attack the public by their actions which is beyond protest as they are using the public to attempt change political view. This is at best cohersion & at worst blickmail.

Not allowed the correct spelling for blickmail, sites nuts!

"

What's the point in protesting and disrupting common folk who have no input regarding policy change"

The same people who've been voting for these fuckwits for over a decade?

Dunno...

southampton

[Removed by poster at 21/05/23 08:27:12]

southampton

"

What's the point in protesting and disrupting common folk who have no input regarding policy change

Dunno..."

Not that there is a viable alternative, Starmer or Sunak is equal to Trump or Biden. All an embarrassment to politics today.

Labour will always carry the stigma of Blair & Conservatives of Thatcher. Lib/dums Clegg.

Going to difficult to vote at the next election & many local elections saw 30% turnout which just gets ignored as voter apathy is immense but its only about winning power.

"

What's the point in protesting and disrupting common folk who have no input regarding policy change

Dunno...

Not that there is a viable alternative, Starmer or Sunak is equal to Trump or Biden. All an embarrassment to politics today.

Labour will always carry the stigma of Blair & Conservatives of Thatcher. Lib/dums Clegg.

Going to difficult to vote at the next election & many local elections saw 30% turnout which just gets ignored as voter apathy is immense but its only about winning power."

Yeah true.

If people at least stop voting Tory that would be a start though.

As for for who to vote for... that'll be challenging although possibly I think a (non Tory) coalition would be a good thing. Or at least progress towards it.

couple, us we him her.

"

Dunno..."

You mean like most of the protesters and their parents.

By *aekaeWoman  over a year ago

Between a cock and a soft place

"Yeah but...

If they protested in a way that didn't inconvenience anyone then they'd just get ignored.

As we've seen with the recent wave of strikes, the only way to make progress in this country is to cause havoc.

Also I think it reflects more poorly on motorists than the protesters.

No one is more privileged, small minded and downright mean than a protestor who doesn't get what they want."

FTFY

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"

Dunno...

"

You think they vote Tory?

Not really the point anyway. The suggestions about throwing people into prison for expressing differing views is scary. And yet exactly the direction of travel at the mo in this country.

Find it bizarre that people are okay with it.

Not irrelevant if their protest effects you and your daily life, we need control on how you protest but never to stop protest.

These people have decided to cynically attack the public by their actions which is beyond protest as they are using the public to attempt change political view. This is at best cohersion & at worst blickmail.

Not allowed the correct spelling for blickmail, sites nuts!"

I often wonder how profit can come before our security, there are countries that couldn't possibly at this time change to another source of power as their economy is based on oil production. So they will keep polluting our planet until WE say something about it, save our children maybe as well as our planet.

Seeing theses protesters hasn't bothered me I have not been affected, there has been no floods in my area, ho wait there has, also wildfires and I couldn't really go out during the heatwave last year for fear of melting.

There is more on the way and other areas of our planet have heat of 40 degrees regularly.

Support these protesters as they fear for our future, whilst we are driven to destroy our future by doing as we are told.

I am just as guilty, and with these new protest laws I am now to afraid to protest in the future when it becomes clear that our government care more for profit than our security.

I and many others don’t agree with how they’re going about it but same was probably said about the suffragettes. I don’t think many would disagree with what they achieved.

Northampton

I often wonder how profit can come before our security, there are countries that couldn't possibly at this time change to another source of power as their economy is based on oil production. So they will keep polluting our planet until WE say something about it, save our children maybe as well as our planet.

Seeing theses protesters hasn't bothered me I have not been affected, there has been no floods in my area, ho wait there has, also wildfires and I couldn't really go out during the heatwave last year for fear of melting.

There is more on the way and other areas of our planet have heat of 40 degrees regularly.

Support these protesters as they fear for our future, whilst we are driven to destroy our future by doing as we are told.

I am just as guilty, and with these new protest laws I am now to afraid to protest in the future when it becomes clear that our government care more for profit than our security."

“Seeing theses protesters hasn't bothered me I have not been affected”.

This says it all.

Northampton

"I and many others don’t agree with how they’re going about it but same was probably said about the suffragettes. I don’t think many would disagree with what they achieved."

Comparing these muppets to the suffragettes is laughable.

Bournemouth

"

Dunno...

Going to difficult to vote at the next election & many local elections saw 30% turnout which just gets ignored as voter apathy is immense but its only about winning power.

Yeah true.

If people at least stop voting Tory that would be a start though.

As for for who to vote for... that'll be challenging although possibly I think a (non Tory) coalition would be a good thing. Or at least progress towards it."

Stop the Tories...

That'll solve the worlds problems

I am just as guilty, and with these new protest laws I am now to afraid to protest in the future when it becomes clear that our government care more for profit than our security.

This says it all.

"

Please do not cherry pick my post to make an untrue conclusion that above is the part you refer to but I have put the whole sentence, not just a part to judge me on.

learn to read properly please.

says it all

By *J2304Man  over a year ago

DAGENHAM

Also I can't speak for each individual but some are actually being paid to protest so do they even believe in the cause or is this just a payday.... like a physical version of cold calling to piss people off.

"I and many others don’t agree with how they’re going about it but same was probably said about the suffragettes. I don’t think many would disagree with what they achieved.

Comparing these muppets to the suffragettes is laughable."

How so?

Northampton

[Removed by poster at 21/05/23 09:23:00]

By *onlywishiMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

I’m of the opinion that within the Uk we should do things to make us greener but in the long run will this help the world ? No !

We used to take on all of Europe’s ideas and everyone would let us run with it until it failed then they would come up with another new way of doing things and we’d step in again?

We’ve spent billions on other’s ideas of how things should happen and worked to tight time frames !

So why pressure people into going green by a certain date ? Isn’t it everyone’s right to choose or at least have a choice ?

Northampton

This says it all.

Please do not cherry pick my post to make an untrue conclusion that above is the part you refer to but I have put the whole sentence, not just a part to judge me on.

says it all "

I have read it all, I’ve picked out the selfish part is all.

Learn to have compassion for everyone besides yourself please.

Says it all.

Northampton

"I and many others don’t agree with how they’re going about it but same was probably said about the suffragettes. I don’t think many would disagree with what they achieved.

How so?"

Is too big a comparison to really get into here, but the suffragettes were fighting for something that needed immediate change in this country, that would directly impact this country.

The whole Just Stop Oil movement is illogical imo and isn’t even being directed at the main offenders. I like the way Konstantin Kishin explains it. Worth a watch.

Won’t be going back & forth with you on this one I’m afraid.

This says it all.

says it all

Says it all. "

You haven't read and understood I am afraid

My compassion is about my siblings and other humans not born yet to have a chance of living, being selfish is to continue to do things we know is killing our planet without a thought for the future.

Says it all

How so?

Is too big a comparison to really get into here, but the suffragettes were fighting for something that needed immediate change in this country, that would directly impact this country.

The whole Just Stop Oil movement is illogical imo and isn’t even being directed at the main offenders. I like the way Konstantin Kishin explains it. Worth a watch.

Won’t be going back & forth with you on this one I’m afraid. "

I wasn’t looking for a back and forth. They’re both protesting causes they believe in and both going about it in ways that the public disagree with. That was my comparison. The end result remains to be seen with Just Stop Oil.

By *ed and WolfieCouple  over a year ago

Gravesend

Some valid, and some not so valid points raised. Like it or not the UK, and the world cannot turn off fossil fuel usage overnight. And let's not pretend that everyone buying EVs is the answer because it isn't. Moving from your perfectly usable ICE powered car that has already been built, causing carbon usage into a new to be built EV, which will generate more carbons to be built is accelerating the problem. And long term usage of EVs is only slowing not erradicating carbons.

Years of over consumption of consumer goods by an increasing population is the issue. If we all reduce our carbon footprint by 50%, but the global population keeps increasing then carbon generation will still increase. And its not only carbon, there are other more dangerous greenhouse gasses that no one really talks about.

The sad thing is, it's the current 'I must have it' generation that may be the loudest protesters, but are also the hungriest consumers of 'stuff'.

I wonder how much carbon is generated running all the data centres that store all the banal pointless drivel that fills social media and becomes even more addictive to each generation?

Forget getting an EV, just force the shut down of Facebook, tiktok, Instagram etc.......

"

Stop the Tories...

"

It would ease many of ours.

How so?

Won’t be going back & forth with you on this one I’m afraid. "

The main offenders back then were horses?

Emily Davison was quite similar to how many above have described modern protestors.

Northampton

This says it all.

says it all

Says it all.

My compassion is about my siblings and other humans not born yet to have a chance of living, being selfish is to continue to do things we know is killing our planet without a thought for the future.

Says it all "

I’ve read it, but you’re right about not understanding.

You don’t care about the disruption it’s causing to everyone else because it’s not affecting you. Screw people that can’t get to work, to see their loved ones, to hospital etc…

Most definitely says it all.

Bournemouth

"

Stop the Tories...

It would ease many of ours."

We will have to agree to disagree.

I guess if you don't bring attention and some inconvenience why would sheeple change their comfortable life? I think all of us, me included, are probably good at the talk but not so good at the environmental walk.. And so many people just don't care or give a shit - we are a very comfortable and selfish species.

What really puzzles me is why parents especially aren't doing more to make the future world their kids will grow up in more sustainable

Bournemouth

"I guess if you don't bring attention and some inconvenience why would sheeple change their comfortable life? I think all of us, me included, are probably good at the talk but not so good at the environmental walk.. And so many people just don't care or give a shit - we are a very comfortable and selfish species.

What really puzzles me is why parents especially aren't doing more to make the future world their kids will grow up in more sustainable "

Don't you feel that you lose the point you're trying to make when you call people names?

"Can't see any sense in arguing against their cause.

As for how they choose to protest it makes me laugh that it's perfectly okay to close off roads for an old bloke to put a crown on his head, but it's not okay for the peasants to cause a much lesser inconvenience."

"I guess if you don't bring attention and some inconvenience why would sheeple change their comfortable life? I think all of us, me included, are probably good at the talk but not so good at the environmental walk.. And so many people just don't care or give a shit - we are a very comfortable and selfish species.

What really puzzles me is why parents especially aren't doing more to make the future world their kids will grow up in more sustainable "

I expect many think they are.

Evidently a few above believe we're holier than thou (while we send ships loaded with our shit to be dealt with elsewhere).

This says it all.

says it all

Says it all.

Says it all

You don’t care about the disruption it’s causing to everyone else because it’s not affecting you. Screw people that can’t get to work, to see their loved ones, to hospital etc…

Most definitely says it all. "

It may well affect me one day, whoknkows what I do know is that oil usage is killing us all and I would rather be disrupted today so my siblings and other hxmanbeings can live free of world, life changing events that have already occurred tomorrow.

I think it is selfish to carry on regardless.

"

Dunno...

"

I have absolutely no evidence for this, but that doesn't seem to have stopped others from voicing their opinions against protestors, so here goes...

My guess is that many Just Stop Oil protestors haven't been voting Tory for over a decade. Just a hunch

Northampton

This says it all.

says it all

Says it all.

Says it all

It may well affect me one day, whoknkows what I do know is that oil usage is killing us all and I would rather be disrupted today so my siblings and other hxmanbeings can live free of world, life changing events that have already occurred tomorrow.

I think it is selfish to carry on regardless."

Oil use isn’t adversely affecting me currently, so screw everyone else…..that’s the same flawed logic as your argument.

At least be logically consistent.

This says it all.

says it all

Says it all.

Says it all

I think it is selfish to carry on regardless.

Oil use isn’t adversely affecting me currently, so screw everyone else…..that’s the same flawed logic as your argument.

At least be logically consistent. "

Like your last interaction, we shall agree to disagree.

Northampton

"Like your last interaction, we shall agree to disagree."

That I can do. Always good when two opppsing views can just say “well fuck it! We tried, but let’s just leave it.”

Comparing these muppets to the suffragettes is laughable."

Votes for women was a hugely important victory. I absolutely agree with that, but in what possible way could the survival of the planet be seen a less important?

Northampton

Votes for women was a hugely important victory. I absolutely agree with that, but in what possible way could the survival of the planet be seen a less important?"

Quite the leap. Having read your replies in here we’re never going to make any headway having a debate, and tbh I just can’t be arsed right now. Possibly later when I’m less hungover.

By *avid 50Man  over a year ago

kendal

I am a farmer producing food for your tables, and although I agree we should use less fossil fuels. There is no alternative to diesel to run our tractors, although there is moves afoot to design, electric tractors very few livestock farms have three-phase electric and we would need rapid charging to keep the crops coming in. We are already suffering a hike in red diesel price. This doesn’t make us more efficient just put the price of what we produce up and a cost passed on to your supermarket bill. If you are interested in food from our own farms, love to chat and pass on what I know.

By *onlywishiMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

Wouldn’t the protesters get more publicity if they went to one of the big carbon foot print countries?

Instead of our little island ?

Also how do these protesters get to where they are protesting? You don’t ever see electric vehicles parked near bikes or when they are near motorways push bikes padlocked on the bridges if they’re nearby ?

They are totally alienating themselves from the people they are trying to get on side ?

Northampton

"I am a farmer producing food for your tables, and although I agree we should use less fossil fuels. There is no alternative to diesel to run our tractors, although there is moves afoot to design, electric tractors very few livestock farms have three-phase electric and we would need rapid charging to keep the crops coming in. We are already suffering a hike in red diesel price. This doesn’t make us more efficient just put the price of what we produce up and a cost passed on to your supermarket bill. If you are interested in food from our own farms, love to chat and pass on what I know."

Can’t imagine the amount of graft you guys put in only to see the small amount of profit you already make getting cut further.

"Like your last interaction, we shall agree to disagree.

That I can do. Always good when two opppsing views can just say “well fuck it! We tried, but let’s just leave it.” "

cool

"Wouldn’t the protesters get more publicity if they went to one of the big carbon foot print countries?

Instead of our little island ?

Also how do these protesters get to where they are protesting? You don’t ever see electric vehicles parked near bikes or when they are near motorways push bikes padlocked on the bridges if they’re nearby ?

They are totally alienating themselves from the people they are trying to get on side ? "

Our 'little island'.

67 million people with double the carbon footprint to the average in the world.

To say nothing of our historical impact.

Gravesend

What people don't see, or don't understand is that often us going green here, simply moves the carbon generation elsewhere. So actually, it does no good at all.

"What people don't see, or don't understand is that often us going green here, simply moves the carbon generation elsewhere. So actually, it does no good at all. "

Fair point.

What do you suggest we do instead?

Tatooine

I wouldn't worry too much, once we go extict the world with carry on just fine.

"I wouldn't worry too much, once we go extict the world with carry on just fine. "

It would have been. But then we invented AI.

Tatooine

"I wouldn't worry too much, once we go extict the world with carry on just fine.

It would have been. But then we invented AI."

The I wouldn't worry too much about oil and the planet, we will be too busy serving our new overlords the AI until they no longer need us.

Gravesend

"What people don't see, or don't understand is that often us going green here, simply moves the carbon generation elsewhere. So actually, it does no good at all.

Fair point.

What do you suggest we do instead?"

The problem is it takes everyone, and more money than the world has!

Immediately stop use of all coal fired power, globally.

Immediately stop deforestation

Immediately start a build program of nuclear and sustainable power generation.

Cull the global population.

The last point is really the only true effective answer. People consume 'stuff'. And no matter what recycling and reuse policy you have, if population keeps increasing, consumption will increase. And its the production of 'stuff' that generates carbon and other negative global impacts- over farming of land, pollution of rivers and sees, water shortages.....

And just for the record, I am a normal bloke, not a massive reactionary or political activist or protestor.

But think about it. Are we going to be ok if the population doubles, but we all drive Teslas?

"What people don't see, or don't understand is that often us going green here, simply moves the carbon generation elsewhere. So actually, it does no good at all.

Fair point.

The last point is really the only true effective answer. People consume 'stuff'. And no matter what recycling and reuse policy you have, if population keeps increasing, consumption will increase. And its the production of 'stuff' that generates carbon and other negative global impacts- over farming of land, pollution of rivers and sees, water shortages.....

And just for the record, I am a normal bloke, not a massive reactionary or political activist or protestor.

But think about it. Are we going to be ok if the population doubles, but we all drive Teslas? "

I think I'm normal too. But then I read the comments by other 'normal' people...

I think we can help the world continue to be habitable for humans with technological developments and behavior change. Probably depending more on the former.

Even if we couldn't I don't see any benefit to continuing to fuck the place up.

Fair point.

But think about it. Are we going to be ok if the population doubles, but we all drive Teslas? "

Money isn’t even real that’s what’s so funny

» Add a new message to this topic