FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Travel help

Travel help

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oofy321 OP   Man  over a year ago

moon base zero

So im planning a trip across America next year,no car just public transport, starting in new York and finish in Los Angeles

Where should I visit in between? I'm thinking of new York to memphis to miami to new Orleans to Austin to Vegas to LA...tell me where you would go or have been to? A side note...am I crazy to do this as a 50+ single male? Lol x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You'll have been shot and murdered before you get out of New York so plan accordingly, enjoy OP.

"So im planning a trip across America next year,no car just public transport, starting in new York and finish in Los Angeles

Where should I visit in between? I'm thinking of new York to memphis to miami to new Orleans to Austin to Vegas to LA...tell me where you would go or have been to? A side note...am I crazy to do this as a 50+ single male? Lol x"

I did Greyhounds on a month travel pass and in the past you could get Delta month standby.

Greyhound I started in NY, went to Buffallo (Niagra), then down to Washington DC, also the Amish community in Pennsylvania. After that the east coast, Savannah Georgia was nice, down to Miami (did do Disney in Kissimmee), down to the Florida keys. After that headed up to Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis, before going up to Chicago.

With Delta I kriss crossed the US, San Francisco, San Diago, Florida again, Chicago again, all sorts.

Separately two car trips, one from Kansas to Denver and then the Grand Canyon, and another from Montana into Canada.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Hire a motorhome....far better

You can hire cars - when I was there it was possible to get 'rent a dent' or 'rent a wreck'. For my trip into Canada I hired a station wagon and slept in that a couple of nights.

moon base zero

I dont drive so thats what makes my trip more fun

It's a minimum 2500 mile trip so I'm sure you'll find some fun stuff to do

As a start, there are some fantastic music bars in Nashville. If you get on with the locals you might not get away though - as an Englishman you'll be invited to everyone's homes for a barbecue.

Bess x

moon base zero

"It's a minimum 2500 mile trip so I'm sure you'll find some fun stuff to do

As a start, there are some fantastic music bars in Nashville. If you get on with the locals you might not get away though - as an Englishman you'll be invited to everyone's homes for a barbecue.

Bess x"

Im considering nashville

I forgot New Orleans, I really liked New Orleans, people playing music on the streets, not just in the clubs.

San Diego was my favourite place in California, I did go to SF but maybe cos I didn't know anyone there I only did the touristy things.

moon base zero

"I forgot New Orleans, I really liked New Orleans, people playing music on the streets, not just in the clubs.

San Diego was my favourite place in California, I did go to SF but maybe cos I didn't know anyone there I only did the touristy things. "

nothing wrong being a tourist lol

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

I'd go new york to Boston to chicago to indianapolis then down to Atlanta, new orleans, alabama, louisiana, oklahoma, arizona then los angeles

You’re going about this all wrong. If you plan it well you can get mugged and shot in NY then still make it to SF by air to get gang bummed before you pass out from blood loss.

Make America Gay Again

By *ycom72Man  over a year ago

Birmingham

From New York, take the I-80 to the north-east of Colorado

o The I-80 goes through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska before it intersects with the I-76

Take the 1-76 from the intersection down to Denver

Take the I-70 from Denver to central Utah

o Travel west through Colorado and most of Utah before it intersects with the I-15

Lastly, take the I-15 south-west through Las Vegas, Nevada down to Los Angeles

That’s by car

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m not sure what Greyhound is like in the states but as a kid I did a chunk of Australia on them, it was okay, but I also hitched in more remote areas and ended up buying a 4WD for more freedom , west coast , NT etc.

You’re not too old to do this trip or even learn to drive and do in a car or motor home.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Make sure to visit some Native American reserves, probably need to apply for permits in advance same as Australia if they are protected areas.

"I’m not sure what Greyhound is like in the states but as a kid I did a chunk of Australia on them, it was okay, but I also hitched in more remote areas and ended up buying a 4WD for more freedom , west coast , NT etc.

You’re not too old to do this trip or even learn to drive and do in a car or motor home."

OP just be aware that Greyhounds tend to go downtown - so often the more run down bits of US cities.

The Greyhound network was excellent - I used some overnight as the distances are long and it saved on accommodation (I was young).

On the west coast there was Green Tortoise (they are on the web) which I meant to do, but three months travelling in the states was not enough to get everything in!

moon base zero

"You’re going about this all wrong. If you plan it well you can get mugged and shot in NY then still make it to SF by air to get gang bummed before you pass out from blood loss.

Make America Gay Again "

Happy days x

moon base zero

"I’m not sure what Greyhound is like in the states but as a kid I did a chunk of Australia on them, it was okay, but I also hitched in more remote areas and ended up buying a 4WD for more freedom , west coast , NT etc.

You’re not too old to do this trip or even learn to drive and do in a car or motor home.

OP just be aware that Greyhounds tend to go downtown - so often the more run down bits of US cities.

The Greyhound network was excellent - I used some overnight as the distances are long and it saved on accommodation (I was young).

On the west coast there was Green Tortoise (they are on the web) which I meant to do, but three months travelling in the states was not enough to get everything in!"

Looking at bus train or flights,spend 3-4 days in each place

"So im planning a trip across America next year,no car just public transport, starting in new York and finish in Los Angeles

Where should I visit in between? I'm thinking of new York to memphis to miami to new Orleans to Austin to Vegas to LA...tell me where you would go or have been to? A side note...am I crazy to do this as a 50+ single male? Lol x"

That honestly already sounds amazing but can I interest you instead to now hear me out..

You on a harley davidson traveling routee 66 as an alternative that shit is bucket list material

By *eiaorganaWoman  over a year ago

Dundee

All of my suggestions have been mentioned, but have a brilliant time, OP. I'm very jealous

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

I would look at where you’d like to visit first, then how much time you have and then decide how to get to each place.

My Brother went across America in a Greyhound bus, he regretted it two days in. Noisy, busy, smelly and nothing to see. Cool on a Harley or an open top caddy, not so much on the bus.

Plane, train and as you cannot drive (no) automobile just like Candy and Martin in the film. Enjoy and you’re never too old

moon base zero

Might just use planes,I can get 6 destinations for under £800

moon base zero

God America is big,change of plans

Looking at train from seattle to LA now by train and just explore california

By *opetop4UMan  over a year ago

Aberdeen

On the west coast there was Green Tortoise (they are on the web) which I meant to do, but three months travelling in the states was not enough to get everything in!"

There are some pretty tough areas around the bus stations.

If you're smart you could look for stations outwith the centre e.g. get off at Hollywood instead of L.A. central station.

moon base zero

On the west coast there was Green Tortoise (they are on the web) which I meant to do, but three months travelling in the states was not enough to get everything in!

There are some pretty tough areas around the bus stations.

If you're smart you could look for stations outwith the centre e.g. get off at Hollywood instead of L.A. central station."

I've ventured downtown new York and LA,got my wits about me,but thanks

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Make sure wherever it is you head that you have somewhere to stay when you get there, even if it's just for a night. Keep possessions separate to money and passports. The greyhound pass is very cheap for the freedom it gives, you can pack thousands of miles and dozens of cities in. You are woken up at destination stops for passengers or rest breaks even if it's 4am, usually everyone has to get off. It's best to keep an eye on your luggage as people can try and walk off with it as it all gets unloaded.

My advice would be to pick places you want to see, get travel guides and review places you are staying. I missed the Guggenheim, but managed MOMA, The Nat History, Smithsonian and a few others. Niagara, some natural spas in the Mid West, steam boats on the Mississippi, Rocky mountain dinghy's, and the 4th July with the a small group of Hells Angels.

I didn't spend much time in LA but more time criss-crossing. There's lots to see from tourist Universal studios to off the beat track canyon tours.

If you can afford it a flight to Hawaii is worth it - it's expensive but hostels are and some hotels are cheap, you see ads on at the ports, the North and Eastern shores are great. Leaflets and fellow travellers give a lot of info.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"God America is big,change of plans

Looking at train from seattle to LA now by train and just explore california "

Trains are long and boring not only in their 1.5mile size but they rarely arrive on time and you don't get to see the smells of a city, just the dust and light. Planes have regular delays, and again, imagine hopping from London to Manchester without seeing the villages between - good or bad, but you have to consider what is best for you.

The train network is nothing like in Europe. Very little coverage, runs at mostly inconvenient times. I looked into some train trips while living there, found it not worth the effort

Greyhound buses, as already pointed out, generally go to and through the worst parts of places. Not everywhere, but I found that the bigger the city, the rougher the bus areas. This is why anyone in America that can avoid using buses, will do so!

Public transport travel can be done, but you will need to plan it properly to avoid the worst parts.

» Add a new message to this topic