FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mental Health

Mental Health

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aughtySexualArousal OP   Man  over a year ago

SPALDING

So I've been suffering with MH issues for a few years but 3wks ago I crumbled. Came so close to taking an overdose, I really don't know how I got through the day. I'm a long distance lorry driver and out all week.

I cried so much that Monday and really not sure how I didn't crash, but I got through the week and went to the doctors on the Friday. Was signed off work for 2wks and I'm going back to work tomorrow.

Now the issue is I'm really nervous and anxious about going back tomorrow. I'm doing two days of local work which I will be staying within 10 miles of our yard. Then Thurs back to normal, but I want to go back as I miss it.

Am I being bloody stupid?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No your not being stupid,you have friends on here sir,feel free to chat to me about anything

It's absolutely normal to be nervous when you have any time back and it's great that you want to go back, however if you feel that long distance is too much at the moment then speak with your employer, don't run before you can walk. Also remember mental health issues don't just vanish and sometimes even when you think your great at managing them you can have bad days.

Good luck

You’re being a legend is what you’re being. Come lunchtime tomorrow you’ll be glad you went back

Yes pal … I had every reason to give up .. some days I still feel like that …… (lost a partner of 25 yrs ) had no support at all !! (Found it in myself)

But I’m still here kicking it ….. giving up isn’t an option though pal … you know this … just dig deep soldier .. all will pass .. things will get better ….

Summers coming

By *hoebeWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

No, you're not being stupid.

Anxiety is real.

But you can do this.

And well done on speaking up - both on here and to your GP.

You've got this x

By *eckingHornedMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Yes pal … I had every reason to give up .. some days I still feel like that …… (lost a partner of 25 yrs ) had no support at all !! (Found it in myself)

But I’m still here kicking it ….. giving up isn’t an option though pal … you know this … just dig deep soldier .. all will pass .. things will get better ….

Summers coming "

By *iasubTV/TS  over a year ago

Ilkeston

You are definitely not being stupid!

Your going through a hard period so its only normal that you would be nervous going back to work.

Hope everything goes okay and check back in tomorrow to see how it went

First hats off to you for sharing your experience. Takes courage to do that.

Second I'm sad that you reached that point. There are support services out there like the Samaritans who can and do help. You obviously sought help from your GP which is great but don't be afraid to seek help.

Your work may help as distraction from the problems but it won't necessarily get to the root cause(s).

Hopefully other people more skilled in giving advice will come on here.

Best wishes with whatever you do.

By *atfuckerbristolMan  over a year ago

Wells

I spent a long time off work for MH reasons, and managed to find a new job while I was off. However, I had to return for about three weeks before it started. Going back to my old job was hard, but I’m glad I did. It reminded me that I did have friends and supporters, and that some of the work-related things which had led to my crisis wouldn’t ever change.

Good luck next week!

Hey, OP x

Firstly, it’s unlikely to be anything like you’re fearing. So try not to think the worst - easy for me to say, I know. Can you tell someone at work that you’re anxious? It might help even just to articulate it, and have them reassure you.

I always try and look at it like this - it’s only a few hours, and then you’ll be home again.

I hope it goes well for you x

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Have you tried an anxiety band on your wrist OP? Also your planner should keep an eye on you and check in with you throughout the day, good luck OP

Firstly, absolutely well done for seeking help, that is literally the hardest part, admitting you need some support.

Secondly, no, you are not being silly, not at all. Anxiety and depression are illnesses just as important as physical illnesses.

Take it step by step. Keep reaching out for help when needed

Mrs

By *oofy321Man  over a year ago

moon base zero

If it gets to much just walk away.your mental health is more important then a job..one day at a time x

SPALDING

Thanks everyone

I've spoken to my boss and he's coming out with me tomorrow. It's a small family run business and they're very supportive really couldn't ask for a better company. I think the biggest issue is that I'm not in my own vehicle as its in for a mot. So I've got a different lorry so that's not helping. Thanks for all your kind words.

Went through untold stress due to being bullied at work

About three years ago was off for five months due to visits to local hospital and feeling low and anxious all the time

Things do get better you need to talk to somebody about this if you’re not already still have counselling to this day

Hope you’re feeling better soon op and get some help

The only person who can help you is you

"Thanks everyone

I've spoken to my boss and he's coming out with me tomorrow. It's a small family run business and they're very supportive really couldn't ask for a better company. I think the biggest issue is that I'm not in my own vehicle as its in for a mot. So I've got a different lorry so that's not helping. Thanks for all your kind words."

Your lorry will be back pal …. It’s only an mot …. I actually thought it was deeper than this .. chin up

By *ay11986Man  over a year ago

Northwest

"So I've been suffering with MH issues for a few years but 3wks ago I crumbled. Came so close to taking an overdose, I really don't know how I got through the day. I'm a long distance lorry driver and out all week.

I cried so much that Monday and really not sure how I didn't crash, but I got through the week and went to the doctors on the Friday. Was signed off work for 2wks and I'm going back to work tomorrow.

Now the issue is I'm really nervous and anxious about going back tomorrow. I'm doing two days of local work which I will be staying within 10 miles of our yard. Then Thurs back to normal, but I want to go back as I miss it.

Am I being bloody stupid?"

I feel ya pain I have been there,if ya ever need to chat just let me no, and it's not u being stupid, keep ya head up, keep ya mind and soul

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm glad you're with a supportive company. Take everything step at a time, be kind to yourself. You're still recovering.

By *eyeYCouple  over a year ago

Nr Leicester

A vulnerable post and full respect for sharing!

You're not being stupid! I (Mr) know that feeling and suggest you seek some support.

Guy's have been taught to suck it up traditionally, possibly why we account for the greatest share of the suicide statistics.

Not nice but unfortunately true.

Look after yourself and now going to Google stress bands as another suggested

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Your not stupid at all op. Congratulations on going to the doctor and getting seen quickly. That's the worst part asking for help.

Your company seems very supportive which always a good thing. Take things easy Your still recovering. Baby steps to start with.

I wish you all the luck on your recovery

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

Be gentle with yourself OP. Don't put too much pressure on 'getting back to normal'.

Give yourself time and talk if it helps

SPALDING

"Thanks everyone

I've spoken to my boss and he's coming out with me tomorrow. It's a small family run business and they're very supportive really couldn't ask for a better company. I think the biggest issue is that I'm not in my own vehicle as its in for a mot. So I've got a different lorry so that's not helping. Thanks for all your kind words.

Your lorry will be back pal …. It’s only an mot …. I actually thought it was deeper than this .. chin up "

It's not just about not having my lorry

SPALDING

Thanks everyone, yes it was very hard to accept that I needed help and the doctors was very helpful too. It was a build up of stress with work and family issues over the last few years. Also now money issues with the way things are heading. I've got the support of friends and family since the other week.

It's very true on the old saying "you don't know who your real friends are until you need them."

By *esparate danMan  over a year ago

glasgow

"Thanks everyone

Your lorry will be back pal …. It’s only an mot …. I actually thought it was deeper than this .. chin up

It's not just about not having my lorry"

Maybe the excitement of driving another mans lorry will get you through it

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Thanks everyone

I've spoken to my boss and he's coming out with me tomorrow. It's a small family run business and they're very supportive really couldn't ask for a better company. I think the biggest issue is that I'm not in my own vehicle as its in for a mot. So I've got a different lorry so that's not helping. Thanks for all your kind words."

This is really heartwarming that your employers are being so supportive

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

OP, I've been in that place. When you reach the the point that you want to die but come through it, it's really fucking weird because while you've been off sick it feels like your world has paused, but returning to work demonstrates that the rest of the world kept turning.

The reality is that there's no right or wrong to how you should feel, but nerves and anxiety are completely normal.

By *ycom72Man  over a year ago

Birmingham

"So I've been suffering with MH issues for a few years but 3wks ago I crumbled. Came so close to taking an overdose, I really don't know how I got through the day. I'm a long distance lorry driver and out all week.

Hi mate I’m in the exactly same position as you .. it’s

Great that you have been to the doctor.

Have you spoken to the doctor regarding medication or help from your local mental health authority support team.

I got help from the local mental health support team and was really helpful as I had undiagnosed MH conditions I am now receiving the right help and medication.. I know it’s hard as I work in a male dominated industry too but you need to be honest with your employer hope you feel better soon

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple  over a year ago

Southampton

Not being stupid at all... I totally get m.h issues... please feel free to message anytime xx

By *asycouple1971Couple  over a year ago

midlands

Well done on getting help and spotting the signs. No shame in seeing a dr.

One step at a time. Try and do the things you enjoy and dont be scared to speak out.

Good luck.

Him

Hi Op

Firstly the hardest part is done you have admitted you ,feel unwell,I was in the military went through divorce, homeless drug and alcohol addiction before admitting, I had a problems,anxiety is unfortunately unpredictable, can spring up at any moment ,I have has to leave supermarkets mid shop,keep talking and fighting mate ,your not alone and if your ever in need of a ear please pm

Cornish

By *ubytuesdaysTV/TS  over a year ago

birmingham

Did the Doc not suggest medication. Ask them about sertraline . of all of the anti-depressents i have had over the years ( including mandrax) ( and elrctic shock treatments) they have seen me well and they dont effecttyhe libido at all , I control mine with HRT.

By *acktar74Man  over a year ago

leeds

OP.

One of the hardest things I did was admit to anyone that I couldn't cope.

Nothing seems possible and everything in life is a hurdle.

Pre covid I tried to end it all. As you can tell I didn't get that quite right. I can joke about it now but I am scared about it returning. I reached out on here to a group of pervs that I have never met and they gave me advice well wishes and someone to speak to.

My door is always open if you need to talk. Cant promise I will be much help but I know the journey.

Asking for help is hard. Accepting help is even harder.

You are on the right road mate keep it going

"Thanks everyone

It's not just about not having my lorry

Maybe the excitement of driving another mans lorry will get you through it"

Exactly!

Just don’t get your wang out and whack it on the surfaces of the lorry cab, OP. I remember a lot of drama between guys I worked with years back, with just this scenario

By *ady n Master GreyMan  over a year ago

ludlow, Shropshire

No not being silly mental health is very hard and not many people understand what you go thought less they have been though it themselves. Talking about how you feel is good.

SPALDING

Thank you

"Thank you"

Good luck for tomorrow.

SPALDING

"Thank you

Good luck for tomorrow. "

Thanks

SPALDING

Update from today, took me a while to feel comfortable being back but eventually settled and glad I'm back at work. Thanks for all you support and kind words.

By *iasubTV/TS  over a year ago

Ilkeston

"Update from today, took me a while to feel comfortable being back but eventually settled and glad I'm back at work. Thanks for all you support and kind words."

Im so glad it went well for you

By *egoMan  over a year ago

Preston

Work is routine for me.

I did take an overdose. I woke up in resus on Tuesday morning. I was in work the Thursday. Two weeks ago I think.

I’ve no regrets, resentful at being saved, I’m still depressed but medicated taking the edge off.

Your work is rather lonely though, but I’ll say don’t scoff at medication and give your brain the respite it needs to process your issues.

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

Good to hear that it went well today

"Update from today, took me a while to feel comfortable being back but eventually settled and glad I'm back at work. Thanks for all you support and kind words."

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

So pleased it went well op

Awesome!

Takes real bollocks to talk about mental health issues, but when you do, you'll feel loads better....just to get things off your chest. Not read the entire thread, but I hope you're feeling better now O.P

Sorry OP you’ve been feeling in such a bad way, all I can say take things one day at a time.

As for work think baby steps as you’ll continue to feel overwhelmed if you jump in head first.

Talk to your employers and see if you can start off slower for longer until you find your feet again.

Good luck x

By *otterabzMan  over a year ago

Ellon

Glad to hear things are on the up again. I’ve been there, know exactly how you felt/feel. You’ve reached out, you’re taking control of the situation, be proud

I help run a men’s mental health support group, and the biggest ‘obstacle’ we encounter is men being afraid to speak up/speak out. It’s the best thing you can do. Don’t bottle things up, get it out. Even if you think it doesn’t make sense, don’t keep it rattling around your noggin, get it out. Drop me a mail if you wanna chat at all

» Add a new message to this topic