FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *spookie666 OP   Man  over a year ago

newmarket

Thinking of doing it this summer. What sort of training do I need and any helpful tips or pointers.

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ister_ee_1981Man  over a year ago

Sunniest Exeter...

Don't... Look...down...

But on all seriousness, good luck and I wish you the best.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Just get out and walk a few hills look at being able to walk with a 30 litre back pack fir around 6-8 hours and you’ll be fine.

It’s not a technically hard climb if you go up the main route.

It’s hard going physically but look to be up and down in around 6 hours

By *hatsWhatCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

Get a map and compass, learn how to use them.

The main path is well and truly trodden, however if the visibility is poor at the top (which it often is) it can be pretty easy to fall off the top and down a gully!!

It’s easy to get it right as well. Back to the trig point, follow a bearing, walk, turn to a new bearing and head down Macleans steep and you’ll be fine from there.

Have fun and 99% of the time it will be a doddle. Just be prepared for the 1%

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Just do some long walks, I've done it twice. Not that difficult just long

By *nkyCplCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"Just get out and walk a few hills look at being able to walk with a 30 litre back pack fir around 6-8 hours and you’ll be fine.

It’s hard going physically but look to be up and down in around 6 hours "

Exactly this.

Get a rucksack, weighted vest, or similar and just get out for daily walks. I started with 20kg and just plodded 3 miles up to cafe for coffee & cake and stomped back.

Do that for 6-8 weeks gradually upping the distance & intensity and you’ll be fine.

Make sure you wear adequate clothing and take necessary supplies. Invest in a decent pair of hiking boots, get to an outdoor shop and they’ll be able to advise. Break them in on your walks prior to Ben Nevis.

Also the views are SPECTACULAR!! You’ll have an amazing time and the sense of achievement you have after with a pint is ace!

"Just get out and walk a few hills look at being able to walk with a 30 litre back pack fir around 6-8 hours and you’ll be fine.

Exactly this.

Get a rucksack, weighted vest, or similar and just get out for daily walks. I started with 20kg and just plodded 3 miles up to cafe for coffee & cake and stomped back.

Do that for 6-8 weeks gradually upping the distance & intensity and you’ll be fine.

Make sure you wear adequate clothing and take necessary supplies. Invest in a decent pair of hiking boots, get to an outdoor shop and they’ll be able to advise. Break them in on your walks prior to Ben Nevis.

Also the views are SPECTACULAR!! You’ll have an amazing time and the sense of achievement you have after with a pint is ace!"

Out of interest, why a weighted rucksack or vest?

By *BusterflapsMan  over a year ago

Scotland

Sounds harder than it is tbh, you're probably about half way up by the time you've parked the car.

As the late great Billy Connelly once said, there's no such thing as bad weather in Scotland, just poor clothing choices

Make a weekend if it too, the campsite opposite at Glen Nevis is perfect, a camping pod is awesome there and you can make an early start on it, it’s a great walk up up I hope the views at the top are good too as sometimes, (lots) the fog can drop in

But sometimes it drops just right and you can get some cloud inversion shots, outstanding then!

Exactly this.

Also the views are SPECTACULAR!! You’ll have an amazing time and the sense of achievement you have after with a pint is ace!

Out of interest, why a weighted rucksack or vest? "

I’ve never gone up a hill with a lightweight, I’m packed that if there’s a difficulty I’m prepped , I was Derbyshire mountain rescue for a little while and seen what happens. So carrying a decent weight around 10 kg will get your legs used to fatigue and build up the muscles you need while hiking.

Northampton

Exactly this.

I’ve never gone up a hill with a lightweight, I’m packed that if there’s a difficulty I’m prepped , I was Derbyshire mountain rescue for a little while and seen what happens. So carrying a decent weight around 10 kg will get your legs used to fatigue and build up the muscles you need while hiking. "

Agreed, plus it means you can take extra snacks for a picnic

Northampton

"Sounds harder than it is tbh, you're probably about half way up by the time you've parked the car.

As the late great Billy Connelly once said, there's no such thing as bad weather in Scotland, just poor clothing choices "

My arsehole of a Sgt said the same thing about Wales when we were going up Pen y Fan in freezing temperatures, gale force winds and torrential rain….that was a fun time!

Exactly this.

I’ve never gone up a hill with a lightweight, I’m packed that if there’s a difficulty I’m prepped , I was Derbyshire mountain rescue for a little while and seen what happens. So carrying a decent weight around 10 kg will get your legs used to fatigue and build up the muscles you need while hiking.

Agreed, plus it means you can take extra snacks for a picnic "

And a beer for mountain tops….. oooh that just reminded me for the advice thread

"Sounds harder than it is tbh, you're probably about half way up by the time you've parked the car.

As the late great Billy Connelly once said, there's no such thing as bad weather in Scotland, just poor clothing choices "

The Big Yin isn't dead yet. He's still very much with us

Scotland

As the late great Billy Connelly once said, there's no such thing as bad weather in Scotland, just poor clothing choices

My arsehole of a Sgt said the same thing about Wales when we were going up Pen y Fan in freezing temperatures, gale force winds and torrential rain….that was a fun time! "

Nothing an extra layer and a decent set of waterproofs wouldn't sort out...

... But the Sgt probably said something like "you're not working hard enough if you're cold" and/or "skin is waterproof anyway"

Scotland

The Big Yin isn't dead yet. He's still very much with us"

Woosh, so he is!

By *espectfulGuy1Man  over a year ago

Northwich

Bit harsh that I thought the big yin was still alive and kicking!!

By *ornycougaWoman  over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

"Thinking of doing it this summer. What sort of training do I need and any helpful tips or pointers.

Thanks "

Don't bother. Dullest hike I have ever been on (and I love a good schlep up a mountain)

"Thinking of doing it this summer. What sort of training do I need and any helpful tips or pointers.

Thanks

Don't bother. Dullest hike I have ever been on (and I love a good schlep up a mountain) "

Yeah to be fair there’s much better hikes

I love tryfan in snowdonia

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS  over a year ago

Newquay

Thanks "

Don't overthink it - it's a piece of piss, just a gentle uphill walk (downhill on the way back!)

By *ornycougaWoman  over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Thanks

Don't bother. Dullest hike I have ever been on (and I love a good schlep up a mountain)

I love tryfan in snowdonia "

Good call. Even some of the Snowdon routes. But give me the Lake District every time in Britain

By *he Silver FuxMan  over a year ago

Uttoxeter

Thanks

Don't bother. Dullest hike I have ever been on (and I love a good schlep up a mountain) "

Agree, so boring but there are better ways that make it more interesting and make it a proper mountain summit feeling ….. rather than go up with the hordes on the dull schlepping tourist track, climb via the carn mor dearg arête route (AKA the CMD route). Great views of the Ben Nevis North face, more fun on the Arête and fewer people. Cons.. it’s a bit boggy in places until the scree slope up to the CMD summit. Even better is the route I’m taking my son on soon:

The Ledge Route up and then down on the CMD arête - both beautiful scrambles and no tourists except at the top.. Leave the car at the North Face Car park and head up to the CIC hut and then turn right to head for Number 5 Gulley, up under the North Face and around, across the ledges, along the arête to the plateau- walk to summit and then down via CMD.

Both routes are just scrambles in the summer / autumn and there are guides who will take you if needed for a pretty reasonable day rate

TSF

Thanks

Good call. Even some of the Snowdon routes. But give me the Lake District every time in Britain "

Yeah on a quiet day, or the Mach loop just to make it interesting watching jets buzz by.

If you have a reasonable level of fitness you don’t need any training at all.

Read up on the route and pre load it into your phone for GPS.

Dress for all seasons in one day!

Take water and snacks in a back pack.

It’s basically a walk.

Uttoxeter

Thanks

I love tryfan in snowdonia "

Love it. We camp at the farm below, taught my lad to lead climb on the slabs and have gone on to do a few classic routes on Tryfan.

Thanks

Love it. We camp at the farm below, taught my lad to lead climb on the slabs and have gone on to do a few classic routes on Tryfan.

"

It’s an awesome place and doable regardless of your experience and confidence

Uttoxeter

Thanks

It’s an awesome place and doable regardless of your experience and confidence "

Being ex military you still have access to some of the bunkhouses? RAFMA still has a bunkhouse nearby I think?

By *olourmeplayfulWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

Might sound dull but if you’re hiking anywhere and take bananas as snacks, bring your peels home. They can take up to two years to biodegrade and are classed as litter.

» Add a new message to this topic