FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should a teacher be strict?.

Should a teacher be strict?.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

It is a hard one to say exactly as it depends on so many different factors, but I would say that a good teacher needs to be fairly strict.

Here is why I think they should be it, because a demanding teacher forces students to responsibly prepare for lessons and be more attentive during the classes.

What is your view about it and how strict should they be?

Would you say that it also depends what kind of age the pupils are they teaching?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Firm but fair.

F

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Strict so they have discipline over a class but also be able to deal with and speak to pupils on a level that will earn them respect and build a good relationship.

Some teachers just don't know how to deal with children and really don't belong in the profession.

The disciplinary systems are all to hell I know that much.

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Strict so they have discipline over a class but also be able to deal with and speak to pupils on a level that will earn them respect and build a good relationship.

Some teachers just don't know how to deal with children and really don't belong in the profession.

The disciplinary systems are all to hell I know that much."

I was talking about secondary schooling here.

By *ulfillingLolaCouple  over a year ago

york

I'd like to find a strict teacher for Lola

By *iasubTV/TS  over a year ago

Ilkeston

I think they need to be firm but fair as theres no point having fear in the classroom as its not a good environment to learn. That being said there does beed to be repercussions for behaviours that are not helpful

By *ean counterMan  over a year ago

Kettering

Keeping my mouth shut with this one !

By *an1978Woman  over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

If firm and consistent is strict then yes.

Then the children know what is expected of them.

Being scared of a shouting or inconsistent teacher isn't productive.

"Firm but fair.

F"

Exactly this! At all times

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

"It is a hard one to say exactly as it depends on so many different factors, but I would say that a good teacher needs to be fairly strict.

Here is why I think they should be it, because a demanding teacher forces students to responsibly prepare for lessons and be more attentive during the classes.

Would you say that it also depends what kind of age the pupils are they teaching? "

When we roleplay in my little kink school i started off fun but firm as Inwanted rhe wlmen to get used to the role play scenario as they were very nervous, however over time i am becoming more strict as they have cone accustomed to the rules etc.

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

It will work with some children and not others, teachers should be able to adapt to different children's needs and should all attend extra training to notice the signs of autism, adhd etc as children are getting diagnosed much too late in life, strict teaching methods wouldn't work with most of these children. There's a petition online please sign if you believe in the cause.

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

"It is a hard one to say exactly as it depends on so many different factors, but I would say that a good teacher needs to be fairly strict.

Would you say that it also depends what kind of age the pupils are they teaching? "

I was a teacher and left, this isn't so straight forward. Trust me, you can't force kids to do anything or you would end up with kids becoming aggressive in class, you are dailing with kids, some with servere behavoural problems, disfunctional home lifes and some which are involved in low level crimes. I always got respect from the kids as I treated them like people, spoke to them like people and had time for them.

The kids are not the probelm, the UK curiculum is the problem and the idea of forcing kids to complete Maths and English places unwanted and uneeded stress, there are less ceative subjects which helps kids develop an outlet plus dickhead sunak wants them to do Maths until they are 18.

No, the emphasis is not on teachers being more authoritarian, some of it has to come from home which in some cases, is impossible.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Clear, consistent, tenacious and kind.

That's me as a classroom teacher.

As a head of dept, I'm a few more things too, but the "thank you" cards and bunches of flowers that hit my desk each summer tell me I'm doing things right.

Being shouty and punitive is exceptionally unhelpful.

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"Strict so they have discipline over a class but also be able to deal with and speak to pupils on a level that will earn them respect and build a good relationship.

I was talking about secondary schooling here."

exactly no discipline equals unruly brats they know exactly what they can get away with and they get away with it

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Discipline? In a school? What next?

Yes but they're not allowed to be these days

By *ansoffateMan  over a year ago

Sagittarius A

Would you say that it also depends what kind of age the pupils are they teaching? I was a teacher and left, this isn't so straight forward. Trust me, you can't force kids to do anything or you would end up with kids becoming aggressive in class, you are dailing with kids, some with servere behavoural problems, disfunctional home lifes and some which are involved in low level crimes. I always got respect from the kids as I treated them like people, spoke to them like people and had time for them.

The kids are not the probelm, the UK curiculum is the problem and the idea of forcing kids to complete Maths and English places unwanted and uneeded stress, there are less ceative subjects which helps kids develop an outlet plus dickhead sunak wants them to do Maths until they are 18.

No, the emphasis is not on teachers being more authoritarian, some of it has to come from home which in some cases, is impossible."

Brilliant, I left mainstream teaching for all the same reasons. And agree with you entirely. I went into what was called EBD schools now (SEMH) and I have worked as an advocate for young people. If you treat them as people, have good mentoring and ta's and counselling. Even the most 'challenging' kids respond well.

I was one of those kids, found out I have ADHD recently. Which has made me think, hmm maybe if those teachers who hated me and made it their passion to punish me, still the days would they would hit and threaten (got enough of that at home thanks) had some awareness. I wouldn't have spent half as much time telling them to fuck off, in isolation or on the roof, where they couldn't get to me, laughing at them.

Also curriculum huge issue. Kids need creative outlets and to pursue their interests. No one wants to do shit that isn't meaningful to them.

No. I find the strict teachers are the ones who don't gain the respect of the class.

Personally I think teachers that show an understanding to their pupils, that show them that they are human and have an understanding of how hard being a teenager can be are the teachers that gain the most respect.

By *ravelling_WilburyMan  over a year ago

Beverley

A commanding and respectful presence at the front of a classroom is the best type as it engages everyone. Some characters just do not respond well to authority in general so I personally think that a 'strict' teacher may get more backlash than they bargained for

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

My History teacher for GCSE was also deputy head and was known for shouting at the school kids every morning at the gate. Everyone was a little scared to start with but there were no disruptions and it felt like he had his lesson plans down to a T with no wasted moment. It was meticulous, with bits of humour and brought out the best in us all. I ended up doing really well and enjoyed his lessons and think he was the best teacher I ever had. So although we all though he was mean and strict at the start, we ended up having huge respect for him by the end.

Not sure what my point to this is, but I guess it's that being strict can get them in the door, but everything you do after keeps them there.

By *obilebottomMan  over a year ago

All over

Unfortunately the respect for teachers and the profession is hardly there anymore. Kids are literally dumped on teachers with so many problems that even the best of teachers can find it hard to cope. Parents often wash their hands or don't have the right parental skills and the slightest issue will blame the school and teachers for it. The curriculum and generally the education system has been a political pawn by successive governments constantly messing up and then leave the schools with their very limited resources to deal with it. Yes there are some teachers that are not cut out for it but the majority are doing their very best in often impossible circumstances with little support, limited resources and most importantly very little appreciation of what they do and how hard it is. Ignorant comments often thrown about long holidays and the like that don't take into account the long hours of marking, preparation, individual action planning and the like, does not help. Certainly not something I could do

All over

"Unfortunately the respect for teachers and the profession is hardly there anymore. Kids are literally dumped on teachers with so many problems that even the best of teachers can find it hard to cope. Parents often wash their hands or don't have the right parental skills and the slightest issue will blame the school and teachers for it. The curriculum and generally the education system has been a political pawn by successive governments constantly messing up and then leave the schools with their very limited resources to deal with it. Yes there are some teachers that are not cut out for it but the majority are doing their very best in often impossible circumstances with little support, limited resources and most importantly very little appreciation of what they do and how hard it is. Ignorant comments often thrown about long holidays and the like that don't take into account the long hours of marking, preparation, individual action planning and the like, does not help. Certainly not something I could do "

Oops, I meant to add that they should be confident and competent, earn the respect of the kids but that might not come easy or in one particular ways as they should treat each child as an individual and taking their specific circumstances and needs into account and drawing into additional professional expertise if needed.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Great at boundaries creation, maintenance and respect of them.

Sagittarius A

"No. I find the strict teachers are the ones who don't gain the respect of the class.

Personally I think teachers that show an understanding to their pupils, that show them that they are human and have an understanding of how hard being a teenager can be are the teachers that gain the most respect. "

Yes yes yes.

Earn their respect don't expect it. Fear is not respect.

By *wingin CatMan  over a year ago

London

Teachers should be strict, but they should NOT be bullies. I had enough of that when I was at secondary school in the 70s.

Sagittarius A

"Teachers should be strict, but they should NOT be bullies. I had enough of that when I was at secondary school in the 70s."

Had a brilliant mentor during teacher training. He said consistency is better than strictness. Agree the rules with your class, apply them consistently, they will respect you.

Worked for him, never once saw him have to raise his voice. Inner city school in Liverpool, lots of challenging kids.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes they should. There needs to be mutual respect in the classroom. Being strict is not the same as being nasty though.

At secondary and FE level especially a teacher who doesn't set clear boundaries will fail. There's little as challenging as a class full of hormonal teenagers.

I think there are more important qualities. Children are not made with a cookie cutter...they're individuals with individual needs and learning styles.

I've been involved in education and training for most of my adult life, from preschool to leavers. The best teachers I've encountered command respect because they're adaptive, engaging, compassionate, empathetic, creative, fair, confident and insightful.

Being strict as a stand-alone quality is pretty useless.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

There were in my day. I had many chalkboard erasers thrown at me. You could tell most of my teachers hated the fact they couldn’t beat us anymore.

The mr

By *illingdon_ladMan  over a year ago

Bicester

I think in some cases yes they should be strict. But a lot of emphasis should go on parents, too many parents let their cherubs get away with murder, when a kid is a shit at school and a teacher looses it 9 outta 10 the parent puts in a complaint. Most people wouldn't stand for the shit that some teachers get, but teachers are expected to just grin and bare it

Pick a fight with strong one to establish dominance.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Yes, there needs to be clear rules and boundaries. Teachers are there to teach not be friends or be popular with their pupils.

To me a good teacher is one that pushes their students to be the best version of themselves. And if in secondary or further education, prepare them for the world outside education.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

To a point. They should be able to control a classroom, but preferably without shouting.

To be honest, homeschooling my kids during lockdown was tough and I have nothing but respect for good teachers. It nearly finished me off mentally, and that was just with two kids (albeit one has ASD). I could not teach a whole class and remain a sunny and delightful person to be around!

By *bwlady123Woman  over a year ago

private

It all depends on the year of the class and the students. Some need a softer kinder teacher some need that strict firmness. I like to be in the middle and adjust per student to their needs.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

I think that they should be very clear about what they expect from their pupils and be firm in their enforcement of these expectations.

They could for example, say that they expect:

Pupils to hand in their homework on time,

Pupils to wear school uniform and to wear it correctly,

Pupils to show the teacher respect and,

Pupils to concentrate on the lesson.

But it's a two way street and the Pupils should expect the same or similar from their teacher. A teacher shouldn't:

Give homework that is unachievable within the set deadline. They should also mark it and return it on time,

Dress like their at a rave; they too should be smart and wear clothes akin to a uniform,

Be disrespectful to students; listen to them instead of ignoring them, show them respect.

Allow themselves to be distracted whilst delivering a lesson; so no popping out of the classroom or checking their phone...

North West

"To a point. They should be able to control a classroom, but preferably without shouting.

To be honest, homeschooling my kids during lockdown was tough and I have nothing but respect for good teachers. It nearly finished me off mentally, and that was just with two kids (albeit one has ASD). I could not teach a whole class and remain a sunny and delightful person to be around!

"

5 a day, in most education settings

North West

"I think that they should be very clear about what they expect from their pupils and be firm in their enforcement of these expectations.

But it's a two way street and the Pupils should expect the same or similar from their teacher. A teacher shouldn't:

Give homework that is unachievable within the set deadline. They should also mark it and return it on time,

Dress like their at a rave; they too should be smart and wear clothes akin to a uniform,

Be disrespectful to students; listen to them instead of ignoring them, show them respect.

Allow themselves to be distracted whilst delivering a lesson; so no popping out of the classroom or checking their phone...

"

How many teachers have you met who dress like it's a rave and use their phone during class?!

By *iasubTV/TS  over a year ago

Ilkeston

"I think that they should be very clear about what they expect from their pupils and be firm in their enforcement of these expectations.

How many teachers have you met who dress like it's a rave and use their phone during class?!"

As some one who left school not that long ago im thinking the same. Literally no one i saw even remotely wore something close to rave clothes

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"Firm but fair.

F"

Perfectly stated

"Firm but fair.

F"

This .

I was talking about secondary schooling here."

Yes. I would also say the same thing, strict so they have discipline over a class

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

How many teachers have you met who dress like it's a rave and use their phone during class?!"

In the outreach hub I work in, we record sessions and you'd be surprised how many teachers are on their phones. When they should be listening and learning so they can back up our teaching, once back at the schools. We've had several requests to delete footage as they don't want their head teachers seeing it. I was really surprised by this myself. We now have to remind them that the session is recorded to avoid it. But many still pick up their phones.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

I never said that they did, just that they shouldn't, so glad that they apparently don't; some are scruffy and others do leave the class with the TA to sort out their personal administration.

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

How many teachers have you met who dress like it's a rave and use their phone during class?!

In the outreach hub I work in, we record sessions and you'd be surprised how many teachers are on their phones. When they should be listening and learning so they can back up our teaching, once back at the schools. We've had several requests to delete footage as they don't want their head teachers seeing it. I was really surprised by this myself. We now have to remind them that the session is recorded to avoid it. But many still pick up their phones. "

There's an online petition we are trying to get 10,000 signatures at the senedd to have the training made compulsory for all Welsh teachers and TAs for them to understand and recognise autistic and ADHD trait's sooner in school's for an earlier diagnosis, this will benefit the whole system in the longer term. If anyone in Wales want's the link I can send it to them.

North West

I never said that they did, just that they shouldn't, so glad that they apparently don't; some are scruffy and others do leave the class with the TA to sort out their personal administration."

We don't have TAs, so it's the teacher or nothing. We do all teaching tasks and admin ourselves.

We don't have a specific dress code, but in 7 years as a HoD, I've only had to speak to two members of staff about dress/presentation. I think that's a pretty decent record. Some schools mandate business dress etc.

By *rNaughtyNickMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

I'd hate to be a teacher in this day and age, the lack of respect from children towards their elders is disgusting be it their parents, people of the law, let's alone teachers.

Absolutely horrific

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

I was married to a Teacher and she had more problems with the parents behaviour than the children. If the child played up and you disciplined them, you’re almost guaranteed a pissed off parent to turn up and deny their child did anything wrong.

So you can daydream about the days when teachers were strict, violent with corporal punishment or could shout at the kids, because the parents (even the posh ones) won’t allow it or even believe their child deserved it.

By *lexanderSupertrampMan  over a year ago

Gourock

I think teachers have to be strict. They need to ensure every pupil gets the opportunity to learn and not be distracted by someone who decides to act up. I also think kids education should always start at home in regards to their behaviour and respect for others. Sadly it doesn't always happen.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher today.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Above all things fair and consistent. Set boundaries and consequences. But i also think individual strategies are important too

By *nimaginativeUsernameMan  over a year ago

Rochester, Kent

My old Maths teacher was ex WW2 Army.

He was gruff, very strict, and often threatened ‘You should be taken out the back and shot slowly’

I met him years later, he was a lovely kind man, just as I expected. And I can’t think of any student who didn’t like him at the time.

By *ustABaldBeardedVikingMan  over a year ago

Hinckley

We need a more open and flexible education system in this country. The curriculum is redundant. Our communities aren't able to help children learn safely. Due to the Tories destroying social care it's unfortunately the responsibility of schools now to act as the primary safeguarding point for many students, sometimes education is the least important part of a young person going to school.

If we can boot these fuckers out at the next election we may stand a chance, but until our society changes then I'm afraid it doesn't matter what method of teaching is used.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan  over a year ago

nearby

Yes and their woke parents.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Wonder what they are learning from the current crop of teachers

By *lexanderSupertrampMan  over a year ago

Gourock

"Wonder what they are learning from the current crop of teachers "

Probably the curriculum if they apply themselves

"Clear, consistent, tenacious and kind.

That's me as a classroom teacher.

As a head of dept, I'm a few more things too, but the "thank you" cards and bunches of flowers that hit my desk each summer tell me I'm doing things right.

Being shouty and punitive is exceptionally unhelpful. "

That is good being those things as a classroom teacher and yes, you are doing something good as well there as you receive those things as well

North West

"Wonder what they are learning from the current crop of teachers "

Whatever Michael Gove said had to be on the curriculum.

By *r_PinkMan  over a year ago

london stratford

I suffered from a really nasty teacher in the 1970s.

She slapped me round the face for not wanting to eat the disgusting school diner and slapped me round the ear on a few occasions for saying no to her.

Miss Gavin was her name and I fucking hate her to this day.

If I had a child and found out a teacher had done anything to them. I would fucking kill them.

No teacher has the right to physically or verbally abuse a child.

All over

"I suffered from a really nasty teacher in the 1970s.

She slapped me round the face for not wanting to eat the disgusting school diner and slapped me round the ear on a few occasions for saying no to her.

If I had a child and found out a teacher had done anything to them. I would fucking kill them.

No teacher has the right to physically or verbally abuse a child. "

Thats very sad and no one has the right to do that to anyone, never mind a child in their care. However it is not at all representative of the teaching profession who the vast majority work very hard under very difficult conditions. Something I could certainly not do myself.

By *929Man  over a year ago

newcastle

Depends on age they teach and a few other things.

My sons teacher in the first class was quite strict and my son was really quiet and shy we had a nightmare getting him to school the first few years and in an attempt to “bring him out of his shell” she shouted at him merely for being too quiet and set back any progress made getting him to school without fuss in the morning. By contrast the teaching assistant in the same class was absolutely wonderful had all the time in the world for my son and helped him tremendously such an amazing woman she later did the same for my daughter.

Looking back any strict teacher we had just made us work our ticket more whrn we were at school. The best teacher we had wasn’t struck he simply warned us at start of year not to take the piss or else all the leniency was gone nobody ever did everyone loved him

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Working in education, I feel that the whole concept of a teacher being strict is very outdated. Schools have rules that must be adhered to, but classroom control is much more about being interesting and keeping the students engaged. When they are genuinely interested in what you have to teach them, they haven't got time to be "Naughty".

Cal

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

"Working in education, I feel that the whole concept of a teacher being strict is very outdated. Schools have rules that must be adhered to, but classroom control is much more about being interesting and keeping the students engaged. When they are genuinely interested in what you have to teach them, they haven't got time to be "Naughty".

Cal"

I put my kids through the state education system, and broadly speaking they've done well. Could they have done better in private school? Yes, probably, and if there was a next time, I'd consider it? Why? Because in state comprehensive schools there is a small pool of toxic 'wreckers' who disrupt, bully and generally spoil the learning process of other kids. Teachers and Heads lack sanctions to discipline or exclude these idiots, so entire classes suffer.

By *illingdon_ladMan  over a year ago

Bicester

No teacher has the right to physically or verbally abuse a child. "

What about a pupil that was verbally abusive to a teacher?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Working in education, I feel that the whole concept of a teacher being strict is very outdated. Schools have rules that must be adhered to, but classroom control is much more about being interesting and keeping the students engaged. When they are genuinely interested in what you have to teach them, they haven't got time to be "Naughty".

Cal

I put my kids through the state education system, and broadly speaking they've done well. Could they have done better in private school? Yes, probably, and if there was a next time, I'd consider it? Why? Because in state comprehensive schools there is a small pool of toxic 'wreckers' who disrupt, bully and generally spoil the learning process of other kids. Teachers and Heads lack sanctions to discipline or exclude these idiots, so entire classes suffer."

To be fair, there have historically been a huge amount of toxicity, bullying, and much worse at private schools too.

Ultimately, the quality of a child's education is a combination of luck (which teachers are at their school), parenting (your input will influence your child's attitude to learning), class sizes and resources available at the school.

Private schools benefit from smaller class sizes and better resources, mainly because of their funding model... they get all of the public funding that state schools get, plus their fees. They can attract "better" staff with higher wages, and better facilities. They also have less behaviour issues due to fewer vulnerable kids.

Cal

By *r_PinkMan  over a year ago

london stratford

What about a pupil that was verbally abusive to a teacher?"

Clearly, the child has problems. If this is the 1st time. take the pupil out of the class and send them to the head teacher, where upon talking to the child, find what the problem is. If it is a recurring thing, then social services should do their job in helping the child and getting a resolution to the problem.

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

If a teacher takes the time to gets to know their students, makes a connection with them, doesn't look or talk down to them and is approachable they won't need to strict or discipline them. Having said that there are always exceptions.

North West

Clearly, the child has problems. If this is the 1st time. take the pupil out of the class and send them to the head teacher, where upon talking to the child, find what the problem is. If it is a recurring thing, then social services should do their job in helping the child and getting a resolution to the problem. "

I think your understanding of what social services actually does, is a bit off kilter. They definitely would not get involved if a school reported that a child had been verbally or even physically abusive to staff, UNLESS the abuse was the direct result of some kind of safeguarding issue. Which most verbal abuse is not. If schools reported every fuck, shit and dickhead to social services, they'd just have it constantly on speed dial.

A teacher should wear a skirt , strictly no longer then 28 cm . And tights with a black line at the back , free to choose her foot wear .

Pressure and “ military “ education style never worked for me .

Makes it worse and get the rebel out instead .

I could bring the best results with out playing any attention . Sadly I didn’t gone far .

Some students need more support and dedication then others .

Seperate the dedicated ones from the bad agitators who probably have family issues at home like emotional violence .

If the students is just an absolute brat on purpose

Well , just hang upside down by on leg in a tree far from class room

And carry on … and don’t worry , someone will remember about the super star

"It will work with some children and not others, teachers should be able to adapt to different children's needs and should all attend extra training to notice the signs of autism, adhd etc as children are getting diagnosed much too late in life, strict teaching methods wouldn't work with most of these children. There's a petition online please sign if you believe in the cause. "

That’s why I said :

if the student is a brat on purpose .

Cause u don’t know , could be something behind a behaviour less easy to keep up with

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Why should they be strict, when some parents do follow this up at home.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Clearly, the child has problems. If this is the 1st time. take the pupil out of the class and send them to the head teacher, where upon talking to the child, find what the problem is. If it is a recurring thing, then social services should do their job in helping the child and getting a resolution to the problem. "

Where is this eutopia in which you live?

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Like parents they need to be in control and have respect , how they do it depends totally on their own leadership style and the kids.

"It will work with some children and not others, teachers should be able to adapt to different children's needs and should all attend extra training to notice the signs of autism, adhd etc as children are getting diagnosed much too late in life, strict teaching methods wouldn't work with most of these children. There's a petition online please sign if you believe in the cause. "
Yes, it will work for some and not for everyone, the teacher needs to find a way to know how to be strict with the pupils, as one way wont work with everyone

I most fondly recall my strict but just teachers. Those who were at the same time amazingly passionate about their vocation and pouring that into our minds relentlessly. Might have mumbled about them back then, but the lessons taught by them stayed.

T

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

my head teacher was he used the fkn cane on me often enough

Cal"

Indeed. My history teacher used to tell us about past events in the best storytelling style. It's a talent.

T

By *ornado69Man 41 weeks ago

Princess Risborough

I am strict to my students especially my one on one students, do as they arevtold

By *GermanInLondonMan 41 weeks ago

London

Firm, consistent, and fair.

Same applies to parents in my view.

And I hate it in talks when parents blame teachers for their own failings. Education is a shared task.

By (user no longer on site) 41 weeks ago

"Firm, consistent, and fair.

And I hate it in talks when parents blame teachers for their own failings. Education is a shared task.

"

You can as a parent educate your offspring but they push boundaries and are learning. I was bullied by a teacher never trusted an asult. Children are vulnerable and open to safe guarding at school. Children rebel even though taught manners at hone.

"Firm, consistent, and fair.

You can as a parent educate your offspring but they push boundaries and are learning. I was bullied by a teacher never trusted an asult. Children are vulnerable and open to safe guarding at school. Children rebel even though taught manners at hone. "

Adult

By *ackformore100Man 41 weeks ago

Tin town

Teachers create the environment and culture to teach as they think is best. If that means being strict for their pupils then yes. Some teachers and pupils don't need to be strict, some do. Pick the right tool for the right job.

The disciplinary systems are all to hell I know that much."

Well said I know a few really I would not even let do my shopping

By *alandNitaCouple 41 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Teachers create the environment and culture to teach as they think is best. If that means being strict for their pupils then yes. Some teachers and pupils don't need to be strict, some do. Pick the right tool for the right job. "

Teachers don't create the teaching environment "as they think", they follow a set of guidelines supplied by the school's management. These guidelines are usually the offspring of some educational psychologist "Guru" that has been shown to be effective in some sort of landmark study. The expectation will always be that these guidelines are adhered to consistently across the school.

The difference that individual teachers bring to the table is personality and character. Ultimately teachers are just people like everyone else, their personality is the defining factor in how good a teacher are to any particular class. Some teachers are incredibly knowledgeable and skilled in what they do, but don't possess the right character to engage a class who doesn't want to be taught. Others dimmer than a glow worm's arm-pit, but have every one of the kids hanging on their every word. The first type of teacher will get the very best of results out of a top set but will struggle with unruly behaviour and be unable to keep the lower abilities engaged. The second type of teacher will rarely have behaviour issues in their classes and will inspire the lower ability groups to do their best, but will be unable to challenge the brightest students and won't achieve the "best" results from top set students. In reality, most teachers are a combination of both of these types in varying proportions.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple 41 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Teachers create the environment and culture to teach as they think is best. If that means being strict for their pupils then yes. Some teachers and pupils don't need to be strict, some do. Pick the right tool for the right job. "

Unfortunately there is a shortage of teachers (good or otherwise), and schools are restricted to having to do the best with what they've got. The school that I work at is a "Outstanding" school, but in the last few years we have had to advertise jobs several times due to ZERO applications, or in some cases employ someone by default as they're the only applicant.

I agree that there are many in the school system who don't have the right personality to teach, but until we fund education properly and make it an attractive sector to work in again, we need to "make do" with what we've got.

As for behaviour: I again agree that behaviour systems in schools are ineffective. The only real sanctions available to schools are Detentions & Exclusions/suspensions, neither of which really bother the students much. Currently, there are several students who are actively trying to get lunchtime detentions just because it's cold outside, and three days off school (suspension) at home on their own is no real hardship either... so what's the answer there?

Cal

By *ockboy77Man 41 weeks ago

Angus, and Aberdeen area

Well after a recent experience at the local “community hub” (school, gym, swimming pool etc) I can’t for the life of me figure out how teachers put up with these little arseholes they are expected to educate!

Strict? They should have an AK47!!

» Add a new message to this topic